Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Electoral College Vote goes to Biden who, as expected, secures 306 votes – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,051
edited December 2020 in General
imageThe Electoral College Vote goes to Biden who, as expected, secures 306 votes – politicalbetting.com

What has been by far the biggest political betting market ever was finally resolved overnight when the Electoral College met and Biden is now officially the President-elect.

Read the full story here

Comments

• MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited December 2020
    1st

I agree with Mike (as usual) about Betfair. I'm not too impressed with how they delayed on this which was several weeks too long and totally unnecessary as well as arguably unethical.

• swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,463
    second, like Donald
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,649
    edited December 2020
    I wonder if Greenwich will do the smart thing - reply in a private letter to Nick Gibb and make so many personal remarks about him that he dare not start legal proceedings in case it’s read out in court.

At any rate, I hope they hold their nerve. Legal action is an empty threat at this stage. An injunction even if granted (which dick waving from the DfE aside seems pretty unlikely) couldn’t come into force before Friday, which for practical purpose would be too late.
    On topic, I’m trying to think of any way Betfair could have made a worse mess of this.

The only way I can think of is if they had embezzled the money.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,376
    Woohoo, Betfair finally settled their US election markets!

Perhaps the new administration might like to try and understand why it takes 39 days from the election, for the results to be officially declared.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,807
    edited December 2020
    ydoethur said:

I wonder if Greenwich will do the smart thing - reply in a private letter to Nick Gibb and make so many personal remarks about him that he dare not start legal proceedings in case it’s read out in court.

At any rate, I hope they hold their nerve. Legal action is an empty threat at this stage. An injunction even if granted (which dick waving from the DfE aside seems pretty unlikely) couldn’t come into force before Friday, which for practical purpose would be too late.

Is Gibb actually worse than all the SoSs he has served under ?
    If only for his persistence in being awful ?

And can’t it be a public letter ?
  • Hopefully people made some free money thanks to the MAGA morons still betting on Trump after he lost. Can't be often a market let's you back the winner when it's known.

Good to see the back of Trump officially confirmed now.
    edited December 2020
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

The point is, if they make cutting remarks in a private letter he would then have to publish it in a lawsuit.

But if they make it in a public letter, he might sue for libel.

Edit - possibly yes. Just as Spielmann is as well. They have been around for years and never once have they got anything right, nor have they learned a single thing from their vast number of mistakes.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

The point is, if they make cutting remarks in a private letter he would then have to publish it in a lawsuit.

Truth is an absolute defence.
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

But that’s the point. In a private letter they don’t necessarily have to stick to it. So they can stick it to him instead.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

But that’s the point. In a private letter they don’t necessarily have to stick to it. So they can stick it to him instead.
    Well there is that.
    But I would have thought they could do so without troubling the bounds of truth. Calling him a goat molester just seems unnecessary.
  • Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Well there is that.
    But I would have thought they could do so without troubling the bounds of truth. Calling him a goat molester just seems unnecessary.
    That's what our Prime Minister accused the Turkish dictator of doing in poetry form of course.

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Well there is that.
    That's what our Prime Minister accused the Turkish dictator of doing in poetry form of course.
    Eh? I never knew you could molest goats in poetry form. Is that some kind of weird euphemism?
    Nigelb said:
    The unfortunate truth for those two is that whether it’s true or not, it’s credible.
  • ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Well there is that.
    Eh? I never knew you could molest goats in poetry form. Is that some kind of weird euphemism?
    LOL.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/may/19/boris-johnson-wins-most-offensive-erdogan-poem-competition
  • Really interesting map. There are a lot more traditionally Tory voting areas on here than I would have expected.
    https://twitter.com/OwenWntr/status/1338519194506309634
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,577

Hopefully people made some free money thanks to the MAGA morons still betting on Trump after he lost. Can't be often a market let's you back the winner when it's known.

Not officially confirmed yet, has to be confirmed by the House.
  • RobD said:

Hopefully people made some free money thanks to the MAGA morons still betting on Trump after he lost. Can't be often a market let's you back the winner when it's known.

Just the House? Or House and Senate?

RobD said:

My bad, it's a joint session of congress, chaired by the VP.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

My bad, it's a joint session of congress, chaired by the VP.
    Congress certifies the President.

25th officially invoked at last?
  • One advantage of the US absolutely smashing it in the COVID cases, all these vacine trials are getting done pretty quickly.

Apparently Johnson and Johnson now closed theirs to new applicants after getting 40k enrolled and already got significant numbers of positive cases among the cohort.

Will know probably early new year if it works.
  • Did I mention already that I predicted these EC numbers? 😉
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,763

Really interesting map. There are a lot more traditionally Tory voting areas on here than I would have expected.

Yes, it is. Having been to a lot of the English coast, I am not surprised. The Isle of Wight has some very deprived areas, alongside beauty spots.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,599
    edited December 2020
    ydoethur said:

You worry about a government with such bad tactical judgement.

Although it is hardly as if we didn’t know already.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165
    Britain is quite unusual in that its most deprived areas tend to be around the coast.

In most other countries the coast is highly sought after; retirement towns for the wealthy old etc
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,338
    Record surge in redundancies and no doubt much more to come on the back of Tier 3 extensions: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55313752

Quite hard to see much, if any, growth in Q4.
    One of the interesting thing about cashing out on BFX is the figure on net deposits. 10 years of gambling, mostly on politics and football, and I am £200 up. Not the most effective way for me to make a living!

Britain is quite unusual in that its most deprived areas tend to be around the coast.

In most other countries the coast is highly sought after; retirement towns for the wealthy old etc

Indeed. Britons need to start going on holiday to seaside towns again, they’ve all been hollowed out by cheap air travel over the past 50 years.

Even in the middle of a pandemic this summer, many people preferred getting on a plane to taking a break in a seaside town.
    Foxy said:

One of the interesting thing about cashing out on BFX is the figure on net deposits. 10 years of gambling, mostly on politics and football, and I am £200 up. Not the most effective way for me to make a living!

Stick to the day job @Foxy , That said, a hobby that largely covers its own costs is not to be derided.
  • Sandpit said:

Indeed. Britons need to start going on holiday to seaside towns again, they’ve all been hollowed out by cheap air travel over the past 50 years.

Even in the middle of a pandemic this summer, many people preferred getting on a plane to taking a break in a seaside town.
    Government could have banned foreign summer holidays and massively bolstered the seaside towns.
  • Good morning, everyone.

Dr. Foxy, on the other hand, you have a pastime you enjoy that actually leaves you better off rather than being a net cost.

Really interesting map. There are a lot more traditionally Tory voting areas on here than I would have expected.

The line is up to the median, in that map.

It also contains a fair few seats that the LDs held, up until the coalition.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    This shit is art. I could look at it all day

Just search Twitter for "@betfaircs trump" and it's wall to wall this
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,459

That's because your expectations are anchored by the use of the word "deprived" which isn't really suitable for a map that includes constituencies right up to the median.

Though I would expect a map of the lower 25% to still include many of the coastal constituencies on the east and south coasts.
  • Really interesting map. There are a lot more traditionally Tory voting areas on here than I would have expected.

Delighted to see that Stockton South isn't on it.

Channel your inner Mike Basset everyone
    We're better than the Middlesbrough
    We're better than the Middlesbrough
    Sandpit said:

Well there were so many more interesting variants of the virus to learn about and bring home.

The CMO was commenting that the UK has made by far the biggest contribution to the WHO genome data base on the virus. Hancock claimed that this was because we had been investing in genome technology for a decade but the role of our disproportionately high number of complete idiots cannot be underestimated.
    ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Well there is that.
    An obvious one comes to mind, but I'd rather not at breakfast
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,129

I think it's a somewhat misleading map - makes it very hard to see all the areas of urban poverty.
  • Alistair said:
    Look at the dates he bet his "life savings" away. 🤦🏻‍♂️

A fool and his money are easily parted. Congratulations to whomever took his money off him.

Alistair said:

A fool and his money are easily parted. Congratulations to whomever took his money off him.
    The size of the censoring suggests his life savings were quite minimal.
    edited December 2020
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Well there were so many more interesting variants of the virus to learn about and bring home.

The CMO was commenting that the UK has made by far the biggest contribution to the WHO genome data base on the virus. Hancock claimed that this was because we had been investing in genome technology for a decade but the role of our disproportionately high number of complete idiots cannot be underestimated.
    Well there’s a fair few more British idiots turning up in my part of the world at the moment - wife and I are quarantining ourselves until the new year, waiting for them all to go back home again!

We are testing arriving here though, so hopefully it won’t be as bad as the European travellers returning in the summer.
    edited December 2020
    Alistair said:
    Madness. Although it does illustrate the pressure BF may well have been under from some on the other side of the betting

Looking at their profiles, the second one purports to be a Welshman who emigrated to Australia. Loves dogs and conspiracy theories. Thinks Corona is a plot to control us all. Only joined Twitter in September, presumably for the election.

The first one is anonymous and could easily be a bot. No signs of life in the feed, mostly RTs. Probably the Russians trying to stir the pot.

• Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Well there’s a fair few more British idiots turning up in my part of the world at the moment - wife and I are quarantining ourselves until the new year, waiting for them all to go back home again!
    Ridiculous we are allowing people to go...they just can't miss out on their Christmas trip to Dubai...
  • Amazing game of hand egg, including the star QB having the shits mid game, back up gets injuried and star has to get off the loo to win the game.
  • IanB2 said:

Alistair said:
    Madness. Although it does illustrate the pressure BF may well have been under from some on the other side of the betting
    Indeed. Though they've face immense criticism here I think they've played this with a straight bat. The official results were locked in yesterday and they paid out instantly upon it becoming official.

People were disputing the results, so waiting until they're officially declared seems reasonable to me. Free money for anyone sane who took it.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

May be that’s because their wealth was derived from their fishing industry?
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    Wow @Alistair

Just reading the ppl who have been tweeting @betfaircs

They live in a completely different reality....

Sandpit said:

Government could have banned foreign summer holidays and massively bolstered the seaside towns.
    Would that have been an acceptable restriction of liberty?
  • Lots of people have very little savings. Feel rather sorry for those, and there were many, who backed Trump after it became apparent to most people he'd lost. That was just throwing money away.
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Er, no David

It’s because the Sanger Institute is a miracle of modern scientific endeavour
  • Charles said:

Sandpit said:

During a Pandemic? Unless you're going for a total free for all then absolutely.

Closing the borders but keeping people's liberties here is better than having a few schmucks go on holiday, reimport the virus then closing everyone's businesses here and telling everyone to stay at home here.

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Ridiculous we are allowing people to go...they just can't miss out on their Christmas trip to Dubai...
    One of few places in the world that’s open for tourists now. Hopefully it goes well with testing on arrival.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/kiss-new-years-eve-concert-livestream-dubai-1234836704/

https://www.thenationalnews.com/arts-culture/music/clean-bandit-and-anne-marie-to-perform-in-the-uae-as-part-of-dubai-shopping-festival-1.1128395

They’re mostly going to get a real shock though - mask wearing is compulsory everywhere except your own hotel room, and social distancing is taken very seriously, even at tourist attractions.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HqKcJtZ_yM8
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,050
    Alistair said:

Yes, if you believe the stuff on Twitter, it looks like the mystery of the free money on this market wasn't mafia money-laundering or market manipulation, it was MAGA morons
  • Lots of people have very little savings. Feel rather sorry for those, and there were many, who backed Trump after it became apparent to most people he'd lost. That was just throwing money away.

They fell for the nonsense that Trump was going to win and saw a betting market offering odds of over 20 against what they 'knew' would happen.

It would take a heart of stone not to feel sorry for them.

I must have a heart of stone.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,129
    Foxy said:

I only seem to have that net deposits figure for current cards - betfair seems to have removed the stats for older cards... I guess they don't want people like me knowing how much we have lost!
  • kamski said:

Alistair said:

Yes, if you believe the stuff on Twitter, it looks like the mystery of the free money on this market wasn't mafia money-laundering or market manipulation, it was MAGA morons
    All betting illegally on politics?
  • I see CD Projekt Red have done a government, massive overpromise and huge under deliver with Cyberpunk 2077.
  • Britain is quite unusual in that its most deprived areas tend to be around the coast.

Even in Northern Europe? The climate is hardly conducive to living on the coast 12 months a year, especially if you are old.

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

During a Pandemic? Unless you're going for a total free for all then absolutely.

Closing the borders but keeping people's liberties here is better than having a few schmucks go on holiday, reimport the virus then closing everyone's businesses here and telling everyone to stay at home here.
    Those are not the only two options.

I am deeply uncomfortable with Australia banning their citizens from leaving the country. But mandatory quarantine on the way back is fine.
    edited December 2020
    Sandpit said:

Taking the big picture, the real change for such places is the exchange of the bucket and spade fortnights that Brits used to spend by the coast when I was young, for short mostly weekend breaks. Or people looking for activity breaks - gastronomy, sailing, surfing, paragliding, etc. Making a whole variety of different demands on the tourist offer, which resorts are very slowly responding to, with varying degrees of success. The island does quite well, in the round, for short visitors, but people who come here for a week or more are now mostly very old, arriving in large coaches on inclusive packages and not spending much money when they are here. We also get a trickle of foreign visitors, most of whom seem pleased to have come here, but not nearly as many as we should, or that the equivalent coastal places in Europe (Brittany, for example) are getting.

The absence of coaches struggling up the main road has been one of the side effects of this unusual year. I only really saw a few toward the end of the summer. Last winter was quiet, as usual, although I am lucky to live somewhere with a year-round community. The first lockdown saw an influx of SeanT types fleeing the plague capital, opening up their second homes that are normally dark and shuttered in March. The summer was very busy, with tons of Brits foregoing their foreign holiday, to the point where local media was full of people complaining about the risk from all the visitors. Above average visitor rates continued through the autumn, until the second lockdown, which saw another influx of second homers although not as many as in March. All the signs are that we are going to be well visited over Christmas.

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Er, no David

It was a joke Charles.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,500

Alistair said:

If you are betting your life savings on 20/1 odds and higher odds you either know something no one else does or a total idiot.

Given that the only similar example I can think of is Clement Freud with his 33/1 odds on the by-election he won I'm going for the total idiot.
  • Steve Barclay is the sacrifice cabinet member sent out to defend 'save xmas' disaster on R4 this morning.

• eekeek Posts: 27,500

I see CD Projekt Red have done a government, massive overpromise and huge under deliver with Cyberpunk 2077.

Depends on the platform - on a good gaming PC it's playable but a bit buggy. On most consoles it's unplayable as its too complex for the console to cope
  • Mr. Urquhart, from what I've seen, the console editions are atrocious but the PC version works pretty well (minor bugs, nothing disastrous).

Does make me glad that, despite really liking The Witcher 3, future dystopia isn't my thing so I didn't pre-order.
  • eek said:

Alistair said:

If you are betting your life savings on 20/1 odds and higher odds you either know something no one else does or a total idiot.

Given that the only similar example I can think of is Clement Freud with his 33/1 odds on the by-election he won I'm going for the total idiot.
    Are these real accounts? Looks a bit like crappy bots to me. Look at the names.
    @Foxy (or indeed anyone).

I was at a virtual dinner party last night and was surprised that one of the participants said that there was no evidence that the vaccines stopped people from infecting others as opposed to not getting seriously ill themselves. My understanding from here was that there was such evidence albeit it was preliminary. Have there been any developments on this?
  • Steve Barclay is the sacrifice cabinet member sent out to defend 'save xmas' disaster on R4 this morning.

I don't get it...if they had come out yesterday and said new mutant variant, spreading, numbers too high, we need to massively scale back Christmas hall pass to 1-2 days, far better than trying to argue no change, but be careful.

Is there a country anywhere that is going to have Police Officers raiding people's homes on Christmas Day if they have family by the tree?

A sense of perspective would be good. The government is advising people to do the minimum but not criminalising them, people need to use their own sense; it would be good if for once in this long year the media could concentrate on what people should do rather than pushing the boundaries of the law on what people can legally do without being criminals.

Steve Barclay is the sacrifice cabinet member sent out to defend 'save xmas' disaster on R4 this morning.

Government can’t win on the Christmas issue, they simply have to rely on people using their common sense. Yes, I know...
  • Mr. Urquhart, from what I've seen, the console editions are atrocious but the PC version works pretty well (minor bugs, nothing disastrous).

Does make me glad that, despite really liking The Witcher 3, future dystopia isn't my thing so I didn't pre-order.

I have watched a couple hours of streamers playing it and I didn't think it was a very good game. It didn't capture my imagination at all.
    Alistair said:

That one looks like a genuine guy, possibly a northerner, who only posts occasionally on Twitter, believes Covid is a scam, anti-mask, anti-vax.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,772
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

One of few places in the world that’s open for tourists now. Hopefully it goes well with testing on arrival.

https://variety.com/2020/music/news/kiss-new-years-eve-concert-livestream-dubai-1234836704/

https://www.thenationalnews.com/arts-culture/music/clean-bandit-and-anne-marie-to-perform-in-the-uae-as-part-of-dubai-shopping-festival-1.1128395

They’re mostly going to get a real shock though - mask wearing is compulsory everywhere except your own hotel room, and social distancing is taken very seriously, even at tourist attractions.
    Doesn't look much like a holiday to me.

I've picked Cancun for some winter sun this year. Then up to the US for a business trip.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165

Even in Northern Europe? The climate is hardly conducive to living on the coast 12 months a year, especially if you are old.
    Yes.
    There is no real climate difference between Hastings and Sandbanks, Ostend, Deauville to give three examples.
    edited December 2020

Sandpit said:

We had no room to take any more. People were even buying property here without visiting, for lack of accommodation. When Eat out to Share the Virus started, you couldn't even get a restaurant table Monday thru Wednesdays.

I only got my Cornwall trip in because I booked it in January.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,519
    edited December 2020
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

I am deeply uncomfortable with Australia banning their citizens from leaving the country. But mandatory quarantine on the way back is fine.
    Absolutely. People have gone mad.

@FrancisUrquhart I get because I'm thinking that he lives on his own, perhaps older, perhaps comfortably off, perhaps large house ( @FrancisUrquhart if this is not the case then apols but that is def a PB pro-lockdown type) so understandably wants the rest of the country to be imprisoned to protect him.

But self-confessed libertarians (lolz) like @Philip_Thompson?

Mad, I tell you.

Good morning, everyone.

Dr. Foxy, on the other hand, you have a pastime you enjoy that actually leaves you better off rather than being a net cost.

I am not sure about my net position with other bookies. Paddypower restrict my bets severely, presumably because of winning, and I must be up at Ladbrokes because of my £1 e/w on Leicester winning the league at 3000/1 in 2016, but think I am down with Bet 365 and Hills, but not too much.

I don't have too much trouble with keeping betting as a hobby. I have known some real addicts
  • F1: if there's an each for the drivers' market (it's up but win only right now) I'll be looking at Perez's odds, if the each way goes top three and he's at Red Bull.

Some interesting pairings next season, at Red Bull, Ferrari, and McLaren. Right now, if Albon goes, Bottas is looking like the weakest link.
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Er, no David

It was a joke Charles.
    Unfortunately there are enough armchair generals on here it’s sometimes hard to tell!

Sorry for doubting you 😀
    Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

I've picked Cancun for some winter sun this year. Then up to the US for a business trip.
    Used to be full of squaddies on RnR from Belize pretending they were Top Gun pilots to the local lasses.
    DavidL said:

I was at a virtual dinner party last night and was surprised that one of the participants said that there was no evidence that the vaccines stopped people from infecting others as opposed to not getting seriously ill themselves. My understanding from here was that there was such evidence albeit it was preliminary. Have there been any developments on this?

That’s the line the Daily Mail is pushing
    DavidL said:

Yes, we simply don't know yet whether vaccines allow asymptomatic spread. That may be apparent in time.

No evidence is not evidence that it doesn't though, and I suspect that it does.

F1: if there's an each for the drivers' market (it's up but win only right now) I'll be looking at Perez's odds, if the each way goes top three and he's at Red Bull.

Some interesting pairings next season, at Red Bull, Ferrari, and McLaren. Right now, if Albon goes, Bottas is looking like the weakest link.

Leclerc/Sainz and Ricciardo/Norris are really interesting pairings - all four think they’re number 1 drivers, and are going to have to assert themselves against their team mates early on in the season.

Government obviously know they've made the wrong call on this, but are too gutless in the face of anti lockdown pressure frombackbench libertarian nutters and the Tory press to row back, so desperately calling on us all to ignore their advice. Whitty channeling Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park - just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's the government's job to tell us we can't, if we shouldn't!
  • Mr. Sandpit, Sainz goes into Ferrari knowing Leclerc's their golden boy, though.

Is there a country anywhere that is going to have Police Officers raiding people's homes on Christmas Day if they have family by the tree?

A sense of perspective would be good. The government is advising people to do the minimum but not criminalising them, people need to use their own sense; it would be good if for once in this long year the media could concentrate on what people should do rather than pushing the boundaries of the law on what people can legally do without being criminals.
    "The government is advising people to do the minimum but not criminalising them"

If this had been the policy and strategy from say September to say this then I would agree. Particularly if the emphasise was on "strongly advise against".

But it hasn't been. We have had weeks in mid autumn of someone briefing newspapers from No 10 about plans and schemes and ideas to "save xmas at all costs" etc etc. They knew this would make front page headlines and it did.

It has been a comms disaster.

Now we are in this situation.

Yes.
    There is no real climate difference between Hastings and Sandbanks, Ostend, Deauville to give three examples.
    Deauville, for sure. A bit sunnier, perhaps. But get east of Calais and the gulf stream effect is much reduced - Ostend will be colder than Hastings.
  • JonWCJonWC Posts: 286
    rkrkrk said:

I think it's a somewhat misleading map - makes it very hard to see all the areas of urban poverty.
    Looking at that map it tells you that the collapse of the red wall was not a defection so much as a homecoming.

Also worth noting that if the LibDems had carried on in their traditional role as the challenger in poorer rural areas rather than Krug socialism there was plenty of scope.

Say what you like about Boris (I think he is very weak) he has managed to unite the economic traditionalists with the social traditionalists and while that maintains to the Tories will win.
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Yes, we simply don't know yet whether vaccines allow asymptomatic spread. That may be apparent in time.

Tim Harford's podcast - How to Vaccinate the World is excellent on this and an absolute must-listen.

Deals with all those issues. And as you say, the trials didn't test for onward transmission (nor efficacy of single dose). So they simply don't know (so the "get vaccinated not to kill granny" is wholly spurious).
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,321
    edited December 2020
    Sandpit said:

Well duh? Who would choose Weston-super-Mare, Margate, or Whitley Bay over Ibiza, Crete, or Sardinia?

You’re not going to put the genie back in the bottle.
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,253
    edited December 2020
    'What this has done to me is make me less confident about using Betfair as my primary betting exchange.'

Nice bit of understatement there, Mike!

Personally I wouldn't touch them with a shitty stick. I suppose I should be grateful that I've learned something about them whilst getting my money out eventually. They're a bunch of kids playing a game they don't understand.

Betdaq and Sporting Index will do just fine when the need arises, and of course the traditional bookies with whom I have never had a serious problem in a lifetime of punting.
  • TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

Absolutely. People have gone mad.

@FrancisUrquhart I get because I'm thinking that he lives on his own, perhaps older, perhaps comfortably off, perhaps large house ( @FrancisUrquhart if this is not the case then apols but that is def a PB pro-lockdown type) so understandably wants the rest of the country to be imprisoned to protect him.

But self-confessed libertarians (lolz) like @Philip_Thompson?

Mad, I tell you.
    Errr no. I don't want a lockdown. I hate the lockdown. Though I can understand why it might be considered necessary.

My point was that if you're not having a total libertarian free for all (and no country in the entire world is doing then) then I would prefer to put security restrictions on the international border while keeping maximum liberalism within the country.

What part of that do you disagree with?
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,772
    TOPPING said:

Fishing said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Used to be full of squaddies on RnR from Belize pretending they were Top Gun pilots to the local lasses.
    Cancun is just where I'm flying into - place was full of white trash Americans partying when I was there last. I'll head down to Tulum and Playa del Carmen and over to Merida I think. Not sure I'll make it up as far as Oaxaca but you never know.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    edited December 2020

Yes.
    Er, four examples Shirley?

(Edit: Unless St Leonards-on-Sea has renamed itself Sandbanks - I wouldn't be surprised, it always has had delusions of grandeur.)
  • Just checked my BF account. Nice to see the rest of my Biden winnings (I cashed some in when they weren't settling).

Wins on Dems in PA and GA.

Loss on Trump's overall EVC.

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

The obvious question to ask is whether any existing vaccines do?

Government obviously know they've made the wrong call on this, but are too gutless in the face of anti lockdown pressure frombackbench libertarian nutters and the Tory press to row back, so desperately calling on us all to ignore their advice. Whitty channeling Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic Park - just because you can, doesn't mean you should. It's the government's job to tell us we can't, if we shouldn't!
    No it bloody well is not!
This discussion has been closed.