Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The Ballad of No Deal “WTO” Brexit – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,051
edited December 2020 in General
imageThe Ballad of No Deal “WTO” Brexit – politicalbetting.com

Please allow me to introduce myself, I’m a ma … I’m an interesting and important character.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,338
    Huh?
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    not first like Trump.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,769
    I hope you guessed my name,

But what's puzzling you is the nature of my game..
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,233
    DavidL said:

Huh?

Oh come, come, come, it's No Deal Brexit
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,459
    Hmm. I just hope you are right.
  • Lol! That's a hoot.

Well done, K.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Off Topic

Gorgeous Gavin pulls rank on the Borough of Greenwich!
  • Betfair suspend Next President market.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,769
    Follow me now and you will not regret
    Leaving the life you led before we met
    You are the first to have this love of mine
    Forever with me 'till the end of time..Oh yeah!
  • rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Huh?

I thought it was Australian Deal.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,629
    Kinabalu is better than a bad deal.
  • Betfair suspend Next President market.

I hope that's a good sign.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,532
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Huh?

O come, O come, Emmanuel,
    and ransom captive Israel
    that mourns in lonely exile here
    until the Son of God appear.

Refrain:
    Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
    shall come to you, O Israel.

p.s. 'Israel' is a placeholder
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Huh?

And how does a no deal Brexit not exist? It’s about a 40% chance we will have that in just over 2 weeks, arguably better than 40% if you pretend to treat the EU Parliament seriously.

Betfair suspend Next President market.

They've caught wind of California's electors voting en mass for Trump!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    Well that's a unique header, kinabalu.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,981
    As John Le Carré has died recently, I recommend this wonderful bit of writing by him about his father who was a notorious fraud and conman.

Remarkable echoes of Boris Johnson, including living for the day and for an unobtainable future but never for the time-being. How he could charm people who knew they were being sold a pup but went along with it anyway. A shared interest in Churchill. The levels of self-deception.

Well worth a read.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2002/02/18/in-ronnies-court
  • Love the piece @kinabalu

Thinking about no deal at the weekend I had "Gimme the Prize" by Queen stuck in my head...
    Do they mean to suggest the new strain is the reason it has risen a tier, as that's how it reads?
    rcs1000 said:

They've caught wind of California's electors voting en mass for Trump!
    If only it could have been seen coming!
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

And every other WH2020 market
  • Spare a thought for Sunak tonight.

Another emergency budget early in the New Year?

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Huh?

I thought it was Australian Deal.
    You could be right.

I asked my wife if we could move to an Australian style arrangement. She's under the mistaken impression I'm talking about a future where I spend more time drinking beer and watching cricket.
    kle4 said:

Well that's a unique header, kinabalu.

I am not sure that I have drunk enough to be on here tonight. Laters.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,603
    Government taking Greenwich to court isn’t going to end well
    Great thread header.
    Rolling Stones are overrated, and no deal is currently as likely as deal.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Biden about to win again.
    IshmaelZ said:

No deal is better than a great deal. If you see what I mean.
    edited December 2020
    Is there a reason why Johnson has suddenly out of the blue stopped referring to an Australian deal, and back to referring to "no deal, trading on WTO terms"? Is it that he's suddenly realised that he HAS to agree a deal and he's desperately trying to reverse ferret against the alternative?
  • California has voted, making Biden President-Elect. Again.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Betfair have only gone and friggin suspended their presidential markets I see.
    IanB2 said:

Government taking Greenwich to court isn’t going to end well

It looks like a hostage to fortune for me. Better if Gavin had turned a blind eye to Greenwich.
  • alex_ said:

Is there a reason why Johnson has suddenly out of the blue stopped referring to an Australian deal, and back to arguing "no deal, trading on WTO terms"? Is it that he's suddenly realised that he HAS to agree a deal and he's desperately trying to reverse ferret against the alternative?

Wasn't someone from the Ozzie government on TV over the weekend talking about how dreadful their 'trade deal' with the EU is?
    BIDEN WINS!!!
  • Amusing kinabalu.

alex_ said:

Is there a reason why Johnson has suddenly out of the blue stopped referring to an Australian deal, and back to arguing "no deal, trading on WTO terms"? Is it that he's suddenly realised that he HAS to agree a deal and he's desperately trying to reverse ferret against the alternative?

Wasn't someone from the Ozzie government on TV over the weekend talking about how dreadful their 'trade deal' with the EU is?
    Ex Prime Minister. Do you think that was it? I doubt many people noticed?

• geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,532
    IshmaelZ said:

Rolling Stones over eighty you say? Nearly, but not quite.

It's official now.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,981
    alex_ said:

Is there a reason why Johnson has suddenly out of the blue stopped referring to an Australian deal, and back to referring to "no deal, trading on WTO terms"? Is it that he's suddenly realised that he HAS to agree a deal and he's desperately trying to reverse ferret against the alternative?

Absolutely no-one else refers to No Deal Brexit as Australian Terms now. Even irredentist No Dealers call it WTO terms.
    Perhaps unexpectedly, California has given its 55 Electoral Votes to Biden, tipping him over the 270 mark.

Congratulations President Elect Biden.
  • It's a shame they changed the rules so that the vice-president is no longer the runner-up for president.
  • alex_ said:

No. It was a defeated ex PM.

Not all politicians see eye to eye. John Major says Brexit is dreadful.

It's official now.
    "Joseph R. Biden Jr. was affirmed as the president-elect on Monday as members of the Electoral College pushed him past the 270 threshold to win the White House, all but ending a disruptive chapter in American history in which President Trump sought to use legal challenges and political pressure to overturn the results of a free and fair election."

NYTimes

"all but ending"...

alex_ said:

I thought Turnbull was just sticking the knife into Abbott, but that may have been my imagination.
  • alex_ said:

BIDEN WINS!!!

I put my "Byedon 2020" t-shirt on especially this evening.
    On America, and the bonkers contortions some of the Republicans are using to argue that the fight goes on. On the logic of the Trump supporting argument there were 3 elections on Nov 3rd.

The most important was the Congressional election - because they decide what electoral college votes to approve on Jan 6th (and thank God the Democrats won that - which you could be forgiven for forgetting given the way the House election has been reported). The second most important was the State Legislature (!) elections, because they choose the representatives to send to the Electoral college.

Oh and there was one other election - the election for President. But really, that is pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme of things!
    IshmaelZ said:

And every other WH2020 market
    except the Trump exit markets which are still open.
    FF43 said:

alex_ said:

Absolutely no-one else refers to No Deal Brexit as Australian Terms now. Even irredentist No Dealers call it WTO terms.
    Philip does ;)
    HYUFD said:
    I know the very occasion itself is a little strange given the system, but I find the wild cheering somewhat hilarious in these videos from the announcements. Yes yes, it's the formal conclusion of the election process and all that, so it is a moment of excitement, but it's even less suspensful than the announcement of the winner of a by-election, since there at least some people watching won't know who had won.
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    Well well well
    I have suddenly got the fear, can someone assure me the Betfair ECV handicap markets work in the way I think they do and not to he other way.

I. E. Biden wins the ECV 48.5 market.
    Today's XKCD:

https://xkcd.com/2397/
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Completely off topic...

I have taken to watching iPlayer to relieve the tedium of daily home gym sessions and came across this lovely 1968 documentary on the Flying Scotsman. Highly recommended even for if like me you're not really a train buff.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p011vfqw/4472-flying-scotsman

PS Other recommendations welcome!
  • alex_ said:

I suppose he used 'Australia-style deal' when he wanted the EU to think he was sanguine about a crash-out, and was trying to squeeze out any possible last-minute concessions. Now a deal's been agreed (probably), the priority is to make the ERG look like chumps for suggesting 'WTO terms' was anything than other dangerously idiotic.
    This XKCD on Covid is spot on:

https://xkcd.com/2395/
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    edited December 2020
    Nice one @kinabalu.
    You have directly realised the emptiness of its inherent existence.
    Does the PM also perceive it? I am not so entirely convinced.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,050
    Barr replaced as AG
  • AG Bill Barr has resigned.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:
    I know the very occasion itself is a little strange given the system, but I find the wild cheering somewhat hilarious in these videos from the announcements. Yes yes, it's the formal conclusion of the election process and all that, so it is a moment of excitement, but it's even less suspensful than the announcement of the winner of a by-election, since there at least some people watching won't know who had won.
    As i mentioned earlier, it appears that a large chunk of the conspiracist supporting right have been genuinely shocked as they have been watching the "votes" roll in. That is the extent of the world that has been constructed to them by the Right wing media from the real wingnut sites right up to large chunks of Fox News.

I've been following a lot of this recently, and to be honest it really isn't that surprising that so many people believe that Trump has been robbed. These are people who don't have a great deal of understanding of the political or judicial process and desperately rely on their favoured media outlets to tell them what's going on. And they've been not just misled, but blatantly lied to repeatedly. And not just by fringe people. They have been lied to by individuals at the very top of US Govt all the way up to the President himself. If you don't receive any challenge to what you hear AT ALL, then you are likely to believe it.

AG Bill Barr has resigned.

If Barr won't do what you're asking, you must be asking for some pretty kinky shit.
  • rcs1000 said:

If Barr won't do what you're asking, you must be asking for some pretty kinky shit.
    I think Trump wanted Biden prosecuted for violating The Logan Act.
  • Alistair said:

I have suddenly got the fear, can someone assure me the Betfair ECV handicap markets work in the way I think they do and not to he other way.

Yes, and the 63.5 one, but Trump wins 81.5.
    edited December 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Barr's sole reason to exist is to maintain Republican power no matter what the long te damage is.

Clearly he thinks there is currently no way of retaining Republican power.

Commander-in-Chief's tanks on the streets tomorrow a step too far for A.G. Barr?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,443
    All the numbers disappeared for both backing and laying.
    geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

Rolling Stones over eighty you say? Nearly, but not quite.
    White pensioners playing black music badly.
  • pingping Posts: 3,805
    edited December 2020
    BETFAIR SETTLED!!!!!
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,583
    CNN:

Senate Majority Whip John Thune said that Joe Biden is President-elect once he crosses 270 electoral votes and says efforts to challenge the results in Congress are “not going anywhere.” He said “it’s time for everybody to move on” after today.

https://edition.cnn.com/politics/live-news/electoral-college-vote-2020-biden-trump/index.html
    edited December 2020

I really find it hard to conceive quite why Barr has now found the line where he cannot support Trump.

Though I suppose really him going was inevitable:

Attorney General Bill Barr has reportedly compared Donald Trump's attacks on him as a “deposed king ranting" after the president apparently raised the possibility of firing him.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/bill-barr-trump-election-biden-b1772174.html

I guess Barr was willing to do and say pretty much anything, so long as you actually manage to win the election first.
  • Alistair said:

Yes, and the 63.5 one, but Trump wins 81.5.
    At one point I accidentally backed Biden -81.5 but realised a few minutes later when I was not green in the market I had intended, so was able to "red up" for only a small loss. Such are the perils of having 18 tabs open for my occasional price updates here!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,443
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

Barr's sole reason to exist is to maintain Republican power no matter what the long te damage is.

Clearly he thinks there is currently no way of retaining Republican power.
    I thought it was to advocate for the toad people, as Moscow Mitch does for the turtle people.
  • They seem to be settling it. Hurrah!
  • rcs1000 said:

XKCD like Matt does really excellent and insightful comics rather than worrying about impressions.

I liked this one.

https://xkcd.com/2396/
  • Betfair has started to settle the presidential markets!
    Next President has settled!!!
  • I'm off to bed, if Betfair haven't settled by the time I wake up then I will go medieval* on them.

*Well write a sternly written letter.
  • rcs1000 said:

XKCD like Matt does really excellent and insightful comics rather than worrying about impressions.

I liked this one.

This one is probably the most universally applicable:

I win 73 pence
  • ping said:

BETFAIR SETTLED!!!!!

Thought they would today.

Be a farce to drag it further.

Congratulations to all winners and hope some cleaned up the free money of recent weeks.
  • IshmaelZ said:

I completely agree. Just another shouty band. I never understood why people raved about them
  • Pulpstar said:

All the numbers disappeared for both backing and laying.

Been settled.

It is fun refreshing the balance and seeing it rise as Betfair works its way through the markets. (That's enough aftertiming! -- ed.)
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,180
    Settled!
  • rcs1000 said:

I liked this one.

That is my life.

Betfair has started to settle the presidential markets!

Yes, it has settled my next pres and winning party bets

Kerching!!!!
    Oh my god - Trump's announcement about Barr is not full of ranting that Barr is a stupid thicko loser and inexplicable capitalisation and punctuation. He even thanks him in the second on
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1338614499981602819

Someone else wrote it, didn't they?
    They've all settled. It's over its over. The long nightmare is finally over.
  • IshmaelZ said:

I completely agree. Just another shouty band. I never understood why people raved about them
    They did do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4irXQhgMqg
  • kle4 said:

Oh my god - Trump's announcement about Barr is not full of ranting that Barr is a stupid thicko loser and inexplicable capitalisation and punctuation. He even thanks him in the second on

He probably thinks the acting AG will do his bidding.
    ping said:

BETFAIR SETTLED!!!!!

Don't all withdraw at once.....

Hallelujah!

Money arrived in my Betfair account and I’ve just withdrawn it.

rcs1000 said:

I liked this one.

His 'What if' and 'How to' books have made useful stocking fillers the last few years when I'm not sure what to get someone.
    kle4 said:

A lot of Trump's tweets clearly aren't his work these days.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

rcs1000 said:

I liked this one.

Yes they are good.

I had to look at this one for a while before I got it:

https://xkcd.com/2394/
    Any chance Williamson might be out by the end of January?

rcs1000 said:

I liked this one.

That is my life.
    You should stop reading your own posts.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,262
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Huh?

And how does a no deal Brexit not exist? It’s about a 40% chance we will have that in just over 2 weeks, arguably better than 40% if you pretend to treat the EU Parliament seriously.
    My thesis is that it's a bogeyman with no real world chance of happening which has been used with great skill by Boris Johnson to get where he is - and is being used by him now one last time to create the desired atmosphere in which to finally Get Brexit Done - with the inevitable deal.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Very good, positively Sphinx-like. But if you don't exist, how can there be a song about you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjEiB59yn1Q
This discussion has been closed.