Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

This isn’t going to go down well in White House – Trump named “Loser of the Year” – politicalbetting

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited December 2020 in General
This isn’t going to go down well in White House – Trump named “Loser of the Year” – politicalbetting.com

Trump has been labeled 'loser of the year' by one of Europe's biggest news magazines https://t.co/1n6Ka0jicy

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,532
    edited December 2020
    Much worse news for Trump today is this.

https://twitter.com/davidenrich/status/1337363827550277634
  • Options

Will Donald and Hunter Biden end up sharing a cell?
  • Options

No.
  • Options
    21,672 new cases.....and only a couple of weeks away from hall pass...all going the wrong direction.
  • Options
    Trump has almost slipped from my mind. Almost but not quite.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    For clarity: the magazine in question is Der Spiegel, not business insider.

I wonder who they are eyeing up for 2021...
  • Options

You'd have thought that Republican Party elected representatives and officials would have already been well on the road of distancing themselves from the inevitable reputational disaster, now that Trump is officially a loser. It's really odd and very worrying that many of them are, instead, doubling down in supporting him, even in his raving bonkers claims of electoral fraud.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082

21,672 new cases.....and only a couple of weeks away from hall pass...all going the wrong direction.

Tier 3 for all beckons
  • Options
    An American friend has pointed out a potential 'fun' issue if Trump does end up in prison.

As a former POTUS Donald Trump is entitled to lifelong Secret Service protection. So does that mean the Secret Service get to guard Trump inside prison?

If not Trump might have to get used to tossing the salad.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992

Indeed. We only went to tiers 9 days ago as well. A 3 week extension of lockdown lite up to Christmas ought to have been a no brainer.
    Unfortunately, many had none.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    A pisspoor loser?

Two words too many. His legacy will be just ‘pisspoor.’
  • Options

An American friend has pointed out a potential 'fun' issue if Trump does end up in prison.

As a former POTUS Donald Trump is entitled to lifelong Secret Service protection. So does that mean the Secret Service get to guard Trump inside prison?

I suppose they could subcontract the protection duties to some locals.
  • Options
    It tells us they’re both arrogant, unselfaware, self-righteous, smug and stupid twats.

But that’s hardly news.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,860

Hey, I had to look that up!
  • Options

Lettuce hope so.
  • Options

I wonder how Trump's execution spree will go down with his fellow prisoners.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Is it one of those TSE references that one regrets looking up?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Well, put it this way, it’s one of those acts that would get a reluctant Turkish conscript off military service.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I'm here to educate and inform.

I believe thanks to me several PBers now know what a MILF is.
  • Options

I wonder how Trump's execution spree will go down with his fellow prisoners.
    I didn’t know you could be executed for tax fraud.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

A thousand times, yes!
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

Retired prezes get Secret Service protection by act of Congress. In 1996 it was limited to just ten years from leaving office but was put back to life-time in 2013. Congress could chose to enact that it is forfeited under certain conditions. The rationale for the protection is to prevent the country from being blackmailed through terroristic threats to its former leaders, so Congress could certainly argue that that doesn't apply if the potential target is under lock and key.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

'
    It's certainly fulfilled my "learn something new on PB every day" quota. Though, as this lady says,' "The term tossing salad isn't very intuitive, in my opinion," reassures Shelby Devlin, a sex and intimacy coach'.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

And what you do with a pig’s head, of course.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Retired prezes get Secret Service protection by act of Congress. In 1996 it was limited to just ten years from leaving office but was put back to life-time in 2013. Congress could chose to enact that it is forfeited under certain conditions. The rationale for the protection is to prevent the country from being blackmailed through terroristic threats to its former leaders, so Congress could certainly argue that that doesn't apply if the potential target is under lock and key.
    Does that apply to relatives?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Lettuce hope so.
    Not a very niçoise thing to say.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Carnyx said:

Yes.

Even I hate knowing what tossing the salad means.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Thought that was from 'Call me Dave'?
  • Options
    Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.05
    Democrats 1.05
    Biden PV 1.03
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.04
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.05
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.08
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.07
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.05
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.07
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 1.01

AZ Dem 1.04
    GA Dem 1.06
    MI Dem 1.05
    NV Dem 1.04
    PA Dem 1.05
    WI Dem 1.05

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.1
    Trump exit date 2021 1.09
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Carnyx said:

Thought that was from 'Call me Dave'?
    Well, yes, but it was TSE wrote the header* on it as I recall.

*For once, no pun intended.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Carnyx said:

rpjs said:

Only spouses and children under 16 apparently.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Carnyx said:

rpjs said:

Thanks.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,925

Seriously, why can’t people just behave themselves?

Vaccines are coming but, to too many people, partying now is more important than stopping the spread of a nasty virus.

Wear masks, don’t meet friends indoors, get takeaways rather than eating in restaurants, it really isn’t difficult.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Carnyx said:

rpjs said:

So if Mrs Trump No. 3 gets a divorce, she’s tossing the lettuce in terms of security?

And does it apply to mental age, or only birth certificates? If the former, Kushner should be Ok.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

You'd have thought that Republican Party elected representatives and officials would have already been well on the road of distancing themselves from the inevitable reputational disaster, now that Trump is officially a loser. It's really odd and very worrying that many of them are, instead, doubling down in supporting him, even in his raving bonkers claims of electoral fraud.
    There are Primaries in the US, and Trump goes after people he considers insufficiently loyal. If you don't back him, he'll endorse your Challenger and you could find yourself out of a job.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    You feel that Nate Silver is a couple of stiff drinks away from trying his hand at some Covid Data Wrangling.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2020
    Sandpit said:

Vaccines are coming but, to too many people, partying now is more important than stopping the spread of a nasty virus.

Wear masks, don’t meet friends indoors, get takeaways rather than eating in restaurants, it really isn’t difficult.
    MUST GO PRIMARK.....MUST GO PRIMARK.....MUST GO PRIMARK.....THEN FOR BEERS....AND ALL BACK TO MINE....seems to be the level of a lot of people's thinking.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    edited December 2020
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    Sandpit said:

A question I ask every Friday when teaching 8C, in all fairness.

But more pertinently, what is the point of obeying lockdown regs when the government is actually reducing quarantine requirements on the grounds it’s safe after 10 days? What message does that send?

And falsely claiming only 0.2% of schoolchildren are off school with Covid?

Why should people behave if the government lies, chops, changes and generally behaves as though it’s more confused than Dura Ace on being told that speed is undesirable?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    UK cases by specimen data and scaled to 100K population

• Options

Tier 3 for all beckons
    Conwy CBC has sent an urgent e mail to all primary school parents closing their schools onTuesday afternoon to the new year

Wales is in a very dangerous position and Drakeford will not go into lockdown before Christmas, when he should and did not restrict coming out of the 'once and for all' fire break when he should, and I did make this point at the time
  • Options
    UK local R

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,313
    rpjs said:

Given their frequent ages, who says this is “putting back”?
  • Options

The question is whether the Republican Party tears itself apart over this: I could see Lisa Murkowski, Ben Sasse and Mitt Romney becoming Independents. (Lisa won as a write in candidate before, and would probably win again. Ben Sasse isn't up for another six years. Mitt is much more popular than Trump in Utah.)

If it does fissure, then the inevitable consequence is Democratic hegemony for the next eight years, which would not be good for America.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Sandpit said:

Pile in your many thousands into poorly ventilated unspacious shopping malls for hours at a time, and wander about gawping aimlessly to no real purpose. Before buying some tat you'll barely ever use, or gift to someone you don't even really like.
    This is many times more popular than partying in my experience.
    Utterly mystifying way to spend a day, even without a pandemic on.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Does that mean Clinton didn't receive protection 2010-13?

If it's terrorist threat, presumably that still applies in prison? I mean, you could get a hostage situation or whatever.

I wonder if the question might arise more if Trump decides to spend a period of time off US soil for, er, whatever reason.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Carnyx said:

Trying to come up with a witty alternative expansion of that acronym, I Googled it. This definition amused me greatly, for its delicacy:

"a sexually attractive older woman, typically one who has children"
  • Options

Biden 1.05
    Democrats 1.05
    Biden PV 1.03
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.04
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.05
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.08
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.07

AZ Dem 1.04
    GA Dem 1.06
    MI Dem 1.05
    NV Dem 1.04
    PA Dem 1.05
    WI Dem 1.05

Those last two are intriguing.

Do we think there’s a 10% chance he walks after the electoral college vote, heads for Christmas in Mar-A-Lago and leaves Pence running the show for a few weeks?
  • Options

Tier 3 for all beckons
    Nope. We're all getting released to go shop and then kill granny.
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    edited December 2020

rpjs said:

Does that mean Clinton didn't receive protection 2010-13?

If it's terrorist threat, presumably that still applies in prison? I mean, you could get a hostage situation or whatever.

I wonder if the question might arise more if Trump decides to spend a period of time off US soil for, er, whatever reason.
    My understanding is the incumbent was exempted. So Clinton still had protection, but Bush would not have done without the change.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Biden 1.05
    Democrats 1.05
    Biden PV 1.03
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.04
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.05
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.08
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.07

AZ Dem 1.04
    GA Dem 1.06
    MI Dem 1.05
    NV Dem 1.04
    PA Dem 1.05
    WI Dem 1.05

Do we think there’s a 10% chance he walks after the electoral college vote, heads for Christmas in Mar-A-Lago and leaves Pence running the show for a few weeks?
    That means admitting he lost, though.
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2020
    Genetic mechanisms of critical illness in Covid-19

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-020-03065-y

My immediate question would be are different racial demographic have different likelihood / make up of these genes i.e. could it be one of the reasons why we are seeing differences within different ethnicities?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Sandpit said:

Because the government gave the country the green light to pretend that we're safe from Covid-19 at Christmas, and the country took that as a sign that we're safe from Covid-19 at all times.

The nation that has a majority of people who think pineapple is an acceptable topping on pizza has really shite judgment, who knew?
  • Options
    UK R

From case data

From hospitalisation data

• Options
    edited December 2020

Sandpit said:

MUST GO PRIMARK.....MUST GO PRIMARK.....MUST GO PRIMARK.....THEN FOR BEERS....AND ALL BACK TO MINE....seems to be the level of a lot of people's thinking.
    Maybe I’m just in a bad mood, went to dinner with the wife and the hotel is full of damn British tourists, who clearly started with brunch at midday and were still very much ‘on it’ at 10:30, still dressed for the beach.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Because the government gave the country the green light to pretend that we're safe from Covid-19 at Christmas, and the country took that as a sign that we're safe from Covid-19 at all times.

The nation that has a majority of people who think pineapple is an acceptable topping on pizza has really shite judgment, who knew?
    We are still letting people go away for Christmas break abroad as well...shakes head.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

We are still letting people go away for Christmas break abroad as well...shakes head.
    The idol of commercial Christmas (and the associated newspaper advertising) must have its sacrifices.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Cutting the quarantine time from fourteen to ten days isn't the right messaging at the moment either.
  • Options

Post Brexit, look to see the Deutsche Bank investigation, in the UK, restarted.

They have been a naughty bank, in a number of ways.
  • Options

My immediate question would be are different racial demographic have different likelihood / make up of these genes i.e. could it be one of the reasons why we are seeing differences within different ethnicities?

Almost certainly so.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

UK R

From case data

That R graph gives you a headache studying it, but London’s rise from lowest to highest is striking

The key period was middle November, when it appears that London uniquely wasn’t benefitting from the lockdown
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Biden 1.05
    Democrats 1.05
    Biden PV 1.03
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.04
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.05
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.08
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.07

AZ Dem 1.04
    GA Dem 1.06
    MI Dem 1.05
    NV Dem 1.04
    PA Dem 1.05
    WI Dem 1.05

Indeed. I don’t think he does, I think he leaves the WH on 19th Jan, quietly by the back door.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

Pile in your many thousands into poorly ventilated unspacious shopping malls for hours at a time, and wander about gawping aimlessly to no real purpose. Before buying some tat you'll barely ever use, or gift to someone you don't even really like.
    Yet the rise in cases in the south east started well before the shops reopening could have affected the numbers. The shops are going to make it worse, but there was something else going on.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

1. People have been implored to go out and shop. For Britain
    2. People have been told the pox is going away for Christmas. And they're playing sodding Last Christmas is every shop so that must be now
    3. The north has been locked down in Tier 3 its all bollox man so why botha ynaa?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Looking at Wales and UK generally I am really fearful for the new-year with covid far from contained

Indeed Brexit may be a secondary issue

I hope I am wrong but I have a reasonable instinct and my instinct says this is not good

The four leaders need to hold an emergency meeting and put in lockdown over Christmas

And I believe it would be accepted by the majority
  • Options

Maybe to some extent, but I thought it was reasonably well established that the differences between people of different ethnicities were largely or wholly accounted for by factors such as occupation, housing, and prior health conditions.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

It is possible, as diseases such a sickle cell and thalassemia certainly are genetically-based with clear racial linkages. But my suspicion is that in the case of COVID, racial disparities in morbidity and mortality have more to do with social and economic status - overcrowded housing, access to private transport, access to quality healthcare, nutrition etc...
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

Yet the rise in cases in the south east started well before the shops reopening could have affected the numbers. The shops are going to make it worse, but there was something else going on.
    It’s called ‘schooling.’

Or at least, schooling during a pandemic with some laughably inept attempts at health and safety and a strict policy of not sending people home even if they’ve been sitting for six hours in the same unventilated room as somebody who has just tested positive.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The question is whether the Republican Party tears itself apart over this: I could see Lisa Murkowski, Ben Sasse and Mitt Romney becoming Independents. (Lisa won as a write in candidate before, and would probably win again. Ben Sasse isn't up for another six years. Mitt is much more popular than Trump in Utah.)

If it does fissure, then the inevitable consequence is Democratic hegemony for the next eight years, which would not be good for America.
    Those three are in very different categories.

Murkowski is a moderate Republican in a state with a strong tradition of independents, where I believe they are moving to ranked choice voting following a referendum in November. It makes a lot of sense for her to go independent if she comes under primary pressure again from the right.

Romney has set out his stall to fight for the soul of the Republican Party. He's not actually that moderate, and nor is he under great primary threat it seems. He'll stand and fight, I think, and enjoy the battle.

Sasse is actually a pretty conservative Republican who hates Trump personally. He's "independent minded" but I am not sure where he'd be going becoming an independent. He'd not be seeking to wield power as a moderate whose vote is available for a good deal like Murkowski. He's just been reelected so doesn't need to worry too much yet, but is young so does actually presumably want to get reelected again in 2026 in a very red state. I think he'll fight from the inside for a conservative Republican Party where Trump personally isn't welcome.
  • Options
    Oh and creating the perception that rich people don't have to quarantine also gave a hall pass to the plebs.
  • Options

UK R

From case data

Out of curiosity, what incubation period do you assume for the R calculation?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

2. People have been told the pox is going away for Christmas. And they're playing sodding Last Christmas is every shop so that must be now
    3. The north has been locked down in Tier 3 its all bollox man so why botha ynaa?

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

It's the Grim Reaper playing Last Christmas.

Points. " For you....and you....and you....and you...."
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    edited December 2020

Oh and creating the perception that rich people don't have to quarantine also gave a hall pass to the plebs.

I've not heard anyone mention this once. But I think people just aren't paying attention anymore. I didn't know when the Xmas bubble was due to start until I checked just now, so will now need to let the old man down gentl about the planned visit for a week plus, as the tiers don't allow it.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    126 GOP House Representatives have openly signed up for Sedition. There are no good outcomes from here.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

It’s called ‘schooling.’

Or at least, schooling during a pandemic with some laughably inept attempts at health and safety and a strict policy of not sending people home even if they’ve been sitting for six hours in the same unventilated room as somebody who has just tested positive.
    That didn't change from the first half of the lockdown though, when it did very significantly reduce case numbers.
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291
    ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

It’s called ‘schooling.’

That does seem to be behind the rise in cases. I really think the schools need to be put online until the Christmas wave passes or have an extended holiday. We seem to keep making the same stupid public health messaging mistakes.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

It’s called ‘schooling.’

That didn't change from the first half of the lockdown though, when it did very significantly reduce case numbers.
    Did it? I will admit I didn’t notice any dropping off.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Biden 1.05
    Democrats 1.05
    Biden PV 1.03
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.04
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.05
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.08
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.07

AZ Dem 1.04
    GA Dem 1.06
    MI Dem 1.05
    NV Dem 1.04
    PA Dem 1.05
    WI Dem 1.05

Indeed. I don’t think he does, I think he leaves the WH on 19th Jan, quietly by the back door.
    My guess is he won't physically go back to the White House after the Xmas break, as he won't want the story about him sneaking out the back. He might put in a foreign trip and a couple of rallies to fill time.
  • Options
    TimT said:

It is possible, as diseases such a sickle cell and thalassemia certainly are genetically-based with clear racial linkages. But my suspicion is that in the case of COVID, racial disparities in morbidity and mortality have more to do with social and economic status - overcrowded housing, access to private transport, access to quality healthcare, nutrition etc...
    Presumably the immune markers you carry help to determine who actually gets COVID bad and dies - which is what has just been reported - but that is a different issue from being systematically exposed to it in the first place?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,947
    Ossof and Warnock winning Goergia might halt it for a while but the long term senate position when the parties are equally strong massively favours the GOP. Effectively the Senate controls the judiciary and also through the GOP being far more willing to gerrymander, the house long term isn't Democrat either.
    I can see a court expansion coming from the right when all bar Thomas are deemed to be at the behest of the Democrats.
    Eventually a democrat will win the presidency again, and something or other like this TX nonsense will come up before SCOTUS and it will be heard and decided in favour of the GOP.
    The damage US democracy has suffered thus far this election is the gravest injury to the republic since the Civil War, but it looks to me that the future GOP will have more Paxtons and Cruzs, and perhaps less Romneys and dare I say it even the likes of Mike Pence.

I'm wondering if the current SCOTUS, which is very conservative but not completely mad might want to take on the TX case to put forward an opinion that shreds Paxton to pieces; the more conservative members of the court might see it as a chance to affirm states' rights in elections.

With the GOP clearly a present and current danger to the republic, Democrats should be thankful for the 2nd amendment and load up with as many guns and ammo as they can find.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It's ok to let them go, it's the coming back that's the problem.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Biden 1.05
    Democrats 1.05
    Biden PV 1.03
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.04
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.05
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.08
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.07

AZ Dem 1.04
    GA Dem 1.06
    MI Dem 1.05
    NV Dem 1.04
    PA Dem 1.05
    WI Dem 1.05

My guess is he won't physically go back to the White House after the Xmas break, as he won't want the story about him sneaking out the back. He might put in a foreign trip and a couple of rallies to fill time.
    There were quite a few reports on the US wires suggesting that he won't be coming back after the Christmas break. His plans then aren't set. I think he'll just sit in Florida, grift some more money out of his supporters and slowly pivot into "fighting the corrupt, illegitimate Biden Administration" (i.e continuing to befoul the public discourse until the reaper takes him).
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

It’s called ‘schooling.’

That does seem to be behind the rise in cases. I really think the schools need to be put online until the Christmas wave passes or have an extended holiday. We seem to keep making the same stupid public health messaging mistakes.
    The smart move would have been to shut them last Wednesday, which would have made little difference educationally but would have brought cases down substantially by Christmas. Failing that, the next most sensible thing would be to reopen them in mid-January by which time the worst effects should be over.

Neither will happen. So we could have a disaster on our hands at the start of February.

I am amazed we’ve got this far, to be truthful, but I will be still more amazed if we reach March without a crisis.
  • Options
    OT - 2020 emissions drop 2.4 billion tonnes (7%) over 2019 due to Covid.
    But level of CO2 continues to increase.
    https://electrek.co/2020/12/11/egeb-covid-global-emissions-drop-2020-amazon/
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

It’s called ‘schooling.’

Probably over confidence. As you say, cases began to rise in the SE during lockdown lite.
    Because it's a disease of the North. All the media said so.
    In the North, cases continued to fall. And continue to.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

126 GOP House Representatives have openly signed up for Sedition. There are no good outcomes from here.

Be positive: over a third of House Republicans still support democracy. Maybe.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Whatever the Supreme court decides or doesn;t decide, the repubs are in serious trouble for the Georgia run-offs in both cases.

The party is hopelessly split. Trump voters despise the Romney/McCainites more than they do the dems. No way are they going to turn out fully loaded for Mr and Ms Lukewarm.

2024? Nope. 3024? maybe.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OnboardG1 said:

ydoethur said:

Gaussian said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

It’s called ‘schooling.’

The smart move would have been to shut them last Wednesday, which would have made little difference educationally but would have brought cases down substantially by Christmas. Failing that, the next most sensible thing would be to reopen them in mid-January by which time the worst effects should be over.

Neither will happen. So we could have a disaster on our hands at the start of February.

I am amazed we’ve got this far, to be truthful, but I will be still more amazed if we reach March without a crisis.
    Yep. New lockdown in late December or January. Wheee.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I've not heard anyone mention this once. But I think people just aren't paying attention anymore. I didn't know when the Xmas bubble was due to start until I checked just now, so will now need to let the old man down gentl about the planned visit for a week plus, as the tiers don't allow it.
    Hardly surprising. The rules and regs are fiddly and complicated, and if you make an effort to memorise today’s, you can bet the government will change them for tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/11/four-navy-ships-to-help-protect-uk-waters-in-case-of-no-deal-brexit

Hmmm ... Palmerstonian.

50% time on station, 50% time off - wonder how long they can keep that up? [edit@ Not entirely clear what is intended.]
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

It's ok to let them go, it's the coming back that's the problem.
    UK can definitely have them back, thanks.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,265

OT - 2020 emissions drop 2.4 billion tonnes (7%) over 2019 due to Covid.
    But level of CO2 continues to increase.
    https://electrek.co/2020/12/11/egeb-covid-global-emissions-drop-2020-amazon/

7% is the minimum drop we should be achieving without a pandemic if we weren't a basically suicidal species.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Pulpstar said:

Ossof and Warnock winning Goergia might halt it for a while but the long term senate position when the parties are equally strong massively favours the GOP. Effectively the Senate controls the judiciary and also through the GOP being far more willing to gerrymander, the house long term isn't Democrat either.
    I can see a court expansion coming from the right when all bar Thomas are deemed to be at the behest of the Democrats.
    Eventually a democrat will win the presidency again, and something or other like this TX nonsense will come up before SCOTUS and it will be heard and decided in favour of the GOP.
    The damage US democracy has suffered thus far this election is the gravest injury to the republic since the Civil War, but it looks to me that the future GOP will have more Paxtons and Cruzs, and perhaps less Romneys and dare I say it even the likes of Mike Pence.

I'm wondering if the current SCOTUS, which is very conservative but not completely mad might want to take on the TX case to put forward an opinion that shreds Paxton to pieces; the more conservative members of the court might see it as a chance to affirm states' rights in elections.

With the GOP clearly a present and current danger to the republic, Democrats should be thankful for the 2nd amendment and load up with as many guns and ammo as they can find.

Making up to 20m illegals citizens will help. Plus renewed mass immigration.
This discussion has been closed.