Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What is a level playing field? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,694
edited December 2020 in General
imageWhat is a level playing field? – politicalbetting.com

As we approach the ultra-final round of discussions, it may be useful to set out what the level playing field argument is actually about. Leaving emotions aside, it’s not essentially an argument about muscle-flexing or sovereignty, but a practical choice.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Nick.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    Tobias Ellwood looks to be in the wrong party.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    One thing I can't quite work out is just why the EU seem so obsessed about maintaining fishing rights. It must be a microscopic fraction of their economy. I can see why the UK is firm on it, but not the EU.
  • Options
    Is that the Western resolve that sees Germany want to be "neutral" in any stand off between the USA and China because they'd prefer to sell their souls rather than lose a single deutschmark or spend a single extra pfennig on making a proper contribution to Western defence?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270
    Scott_xP said:
    Have Johnson and Frost swapped suits for a laugh?
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    RobD said:

One thing I can't quite work out is just why the EU seem so obsessed about maintaining fishing rights. It must be a microscopic fraction of their economy. I can see why the UK is firm on it, but not the EU.

It impacts some eu countries like france a spain a lot if they can no longer fish our waters. Those countries have a veto and it doesn't play well at home for their leaders
  • Options
    RobD said:

Like us, the EU have a domestic audience to appeal to as well.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

It impacts some eu countries like france a spain a lot if they can no longer fish our waters. Those countries have a veto and it doesn't play well at home for their leaders
    But still, fishing must be a small percentage of France's economy. On the UK side there is the sovereignty issue, that doesn't apply to France.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656
    The Tories seem to think that we should be on the receiving end of Nick's Option 2 from the US.

Not sure why.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    I know it will be hard, but we might just have to accept that we won't be able to get hold of any Good Brie.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,949
    Trump files motion to argue in person before U.S. Supreme Court that he won election | National Post
  • Options
    BBC News - Covid-19: France moves to night-time curfew from 15 December
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55266332
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2020
    Why can't these people just say i was wrong....always have to caveat it.

Kay Burley - "It doesn't matter that I thought I was Covid-compliant on a recent social event. The fact is I was wrong, I made a big mistake, and I am sorry.

When you spend 2hrs in the loo of another venue and then all back to yours for a knee-ups, there is no doubt or mistake, it was deliberate.
  • Options
    edited December 2020

Scott_xP said:
    I know it will be hard, but we might just have to accept that we won't be able to get hold of any Good Brie.
    Somerset brie is equally good and in fact I find it tastier than french so usually go for it if available

https://www.longmancheese.co.uk/product/somerset-brie/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trump files motion to argue in person before U.S. Supreme Court that he won election | National Post

That only happens if they accept a case.
  • Options

The Tories seem to think that we should be on the receiving end of Nick's Option 2 from the US.

Not sure why.

I suppose when the option is starve or consume chicken, marinaded in chicken excrement and chlorine, Amerrican quality animal husbandry is the winner.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,949
    edited December 2020

Pulpstar said:

There's an argument it should be accepted as it's so fundamental, means they can deliver an opinion to utterly demolish it on the merits then.

I expect that will be the main debate, those who want to accept it to deliver an opinion adverse to TX and those who just want it chucked in the bin without a hearing.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

But still, fishing must be a small percentage of France's economy. On the UK side there is the sovereignty issue, that doesn't apply to France.
    As we lie amongst the smouldering ruins we can claim it was all worth it to regain our sovereignty, until we are reminded sovereignty was only ever lost in the minds of the Brexiteers.
  • Options

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

As we lie amongst the smouldering ruins we can claim it was all worth it to regain our sovereignty, until we are reminded sovereignty was only ever lost in the minds of the Brexiteers.
    Smouldering ruins? Give me a break.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Is Boris bullshitting or are we genuinely fucked?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,076
    Jonathan said:

We are genuinely fucked.

And have been for 4 years so far...
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

No, you are about to have your clean break. Enjoy it!
  • Options
    edited December 2020

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Gosh hyperbole much? There will be no smoking ruins. We will be able to vote for politicians who can implement the manifesto they stood on even its labour. We won't have politicians making end runs around the things they know we won't accept as a nation by getting the eu to make it law...whats not to like?

As a nation we had sovereignty in the same way as the queen is the ultimate power in the land. As long as we don't try to use it we are sovereign
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2020
    Jonathan said:

I think on the fucked scale, we're at around 10, with the worst disruption around south-east iceland, cromarty and Hebrides.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Just write "panic buying trip" on a date in your diary.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Gosh hyperbole much? There will be no smoking ruins. We will be able to vote for politicians who can implement the manifesto they stood on even its labour. We won't have politicians making end runs around the things they know we won't accept as a nation by getting the eu to make it law...whats not to like?

As a nation we had sovereignty in the same way as the queen is the ultimate power in the land. As long as we don't try to use it we are sovereign
    The sovereignty you're imagining will quickly dry up when the trade deals with China, India and the US come in. It doesn't exist in the modern world.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

As a nation we had sovereignty

You can't buy, sell or eat Sovereignty

You have destroyed a Nation for a myth.
  • Options

And make it tomorrow...
  • Options

Seems like he should have lost the whip with Grieve etc.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Pagan2 said:

Can't eat buy sell or eat subservience either, you must be hungry
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Pagan2 said:

You can eat it. Johnson has been dining out on sovereignty for almost five years.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

“There’s a lot of ruin in a nation.”
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,662
    edited December 2020
    Looks like the US Covid deaths and cases are going to smash through new records by the end of today, possibly spectacularly, looking at the numbers so far today. And Trump is just going on and on about the election. What a disgrace.
  • Options

You can eat it. Johnson has been dining out on sovereignty for almost five years.

He never missed a meal before that either

https://twitter.com/gavinesler/status/1337136831884881927
  • Options
    World beating!

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1337152578342309889

At least Dido did alright.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

The sovereignty you're imagining will quickly dry up when the trade deals with China, India and the US come in. It doesn't exist in the modern world.
    Trade deal with China lol. Have you even slightly been paying attention?
  • Options

World beating!

Many people predicted Dido would be her normal disaster self
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

He never missed a meal before that either

https://twitter.com/gavinesler/status/1337136831884881927
    In the days when I recruited staff, on appearance alone the fellow second on the left would have been disregarded for even the most menial role. My thinking would have been, if one can't dress themselves as an adult, they are no use to me.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

The UK isn't going to do a trade deal with any of those three countries. At least not directly. We may end up in the CPTPP with the US and India which is an association agreement with a high degree of tariff elimination but still has a fair number of NTBs.
  • Options

World beating!

Keynes proposed the government digging holes and burying cash in them and then letting companies dig up the money. This seems similar.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Jonathan said:

We are fucked.

Harvey Nichols, I read somewhere, starts planning its Christmas campaign at the beginning of October, not for the forthcoming Christmas but the one in 15 months time. Johnson thinks now is the time for the country to start planning for a no deal Brexit in three weeks. 21 days.
  • Options

Seems like he should have lost the whip with Grieve etc.
    Maybe he believed his prime minister, the credulous twunt that he is.

'PM Boris Johnson: This is a very good deal'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politics-50083270
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

And make it tomorrow...
    I think we'll see queues at supermarkets tomorrow.
  • Options

Keynes proposed the government digging holes and burying cash in them and then letting companies dig up the money. This seems similar.

Where the companies doing the digging up are all mates with the cabinet
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,662

Pulpstar said:

Oh they have got to just for the laughs.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    If 106 House Republicans support the Texas case, is it really inconceivable that the five Republican Justices (ie excluding Roberts) will agree to hear the case?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

There will be eventually be a China-specific FTA on terms Brexiters hate ; India will demand immigration terms ; the US will make multiple demands on agriculture, food standards, and much else. The loss of "sovereignty" will simply be more obvious the larger the power.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Jonathan said:

We are fucked.

Harvey Nichols, I read somewhere, starts planning its Christmas campaign at the beginning of October, not for the forthcoming Christmas but the one in 15 months time. Johnson thinks now is the time for the country to start planning for a no deal Brexit in three weeks. 21 days.
    His whole life he has been an essay crisis merchant and deliverer of late copy. Why change now?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Does “No Cherry Picking” apply to the EU too?

Asking for a fish...
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

There will be eventually be a China-specific FTA on terms Brexiters hate ; India will demand immigration terms, ; the US will make multiple demands on agriculture, food standards, and much else. The loss of "sovereignty" will simply be more obvious the larger the power.
    Of all the fairytale forecasts made on here, the one you provide is perhaps the most amusing.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

There will be eventually be a China-specific FTA on terms Brexiters hate ; India will demand immigration terms, ; the US will make multiple demands on agriculture, food standards, and much else. The loss of "sovereignty" will simply be more obvious the larger the power.
    Of all the fairytale forecasts made on here, the one you provide is perhaps the most amusing.
    Glad to provide a service of entertainment as well as information - we aim to provide a Reithian service ;.)
  • Options

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

There will be eventually be a China-specific FTA on terms Brexiters hate ; India will demand immigration terms ; the US will make multiple demands on agriculture, food standards, and much else. The loss of "sovereignty" will simply be more obvious the larger the power.
    No there won't. That's a deal the UK wouldn't sign. The US deal has already burned out now that Trump is gone.

You have no clue over what the UK has been prioritising wrt external trade. Take a look at what the actual deals we have signed have achieved before making these unfounded and grandiose claims about what the UK might do but in all likelihood won't.
  • Options
    This government of our is insane playing roulette with our livelihoods.
  • Options

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Glad to provide a service of entertainment as well as information ;.) A Reithian oracle, hopefully.
    Not so much information as that fake news we hear so much about
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited December 2020
    Scott_xP said:

Jonathan said:

We are genuinely fucked.

And have been for 4 years so far...
    What would you have done with them if (re-)tweeting about Brexit hadn't been an option?
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Glad to provide a service of entertainment as well as information ;.) A Reithian oracle, hopefully.
    Scandalous ! I have my hand perched on a bible every time I post.
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    Jonathan said:

The current state of negotiations.

https://youtu.be/BGtEp7zFdrc

• Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,235

Scott_xP said:

And make it tomorrow...
    I think we'll see queues at supermarkets tomorrow.
    Bubble. It’s not on most folks radar tbh.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

blinks did you not note my user name, why would you think I put any credence in that books truthfulness
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    It is all very easy to blame the government or the company....the government setup a scheme to save jobs, a company met the criteria for the help, so took it and saved a load of yoing grad jobs, and took paycuts themselves.

Hard to blame the government that perhaps the company could have cut pay for partners even more. If thst was the standard, no business should have got help unless even after cutting all senior management pay to zilch. Seems a non-starter as a scheme. So what do you do instead, start interfering in every companies in the lands pay structure before paying furlough?

Now some larger companies.didnt take the help, but i don't blame the ones that did.
  • Options
    If it kept jobs that would otherwise have been lost fine with me.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    MaxPB said:

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

No there won't. That's a deal the UK wouldn't sign. The US deal has already burned out now that Trump is gone.

You have no clue over what the UK has been prioritising wrt external trade. Take a look at what the actual deals we have signed have achieved before making these unfounded and grandiose claims about what the UK might do but in all likelihood won't.
    These are just simple equations of power. The UK will unquestionably and eventually need specific deals with these huge economies, whatever it prioritises first, and one way or the other, and they won't be on the terms wanted by the most faithful Brexit voters.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

MaxPB said:

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

These are just simple equations of power. The UK will unquestionably and eventually need specific deals with these huge economies, whatever it prioritises first and one way or the other, and they won't be on the terms wanted by the most faithful Brexit voters.
    We won't unquestionably need such deals.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    edited December 2020
    I welcome this header immensely. Some things get said so often they lose all meaning (it's my life motto) and you need to refresh.
    Jonathan said:
    Yes, a reminder that we should have listened to him. I should have.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Brexit is predicated on them
  • Options
    Is the government incompetent, reckless, malign or all three?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    Quantity over quality?
  • Options

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1337089380423438337

Historians will gawp at the stupidity of the repeated "save xmas" nonsense, started by No 10 weeks ago and fed to favoured journos, which has led to this point.

Borderline criminal political comms.

I feel I've been pretty generous in accepting some things as being out of the government's control, and accepting that errors and mistakes are inevitable in such a difficult situation and some leeway must be granted. This is not one of those times.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

These are just simple equations of power. The UK will unquestionably and eventually need specific deals with these huge economies, whatever it prioritises first and one way or the other, and they won't be on the terms wanted by the most faithful Brexit voters.
    Je suis certain qu'ils sont une inevitabilite.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I welcome this header immensely. Some things get said so often they lose all meaning (it's my life motto) and you need to refresh.

Jonathan said:
    We turned down free owls for this.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

The point is that those deals won't be done. Part of why India has insisted on immigration being part of the equation is because they know it's an easy get out for them to not do one but still publicly be in favour of free trade. India has already withdrawn from RCEP because it doesn't really do free trade. The US deal has been covered here many times and the UK has a gigantic trade surplus with the US, there's no pressing need for a trade deal with the US, not Dr our perspective. Finally, the UK is already diversifying away from China and Chinese supply chains because of this whole virus crap, it would be completely against the run of play to sign a trade deal with China of any kind, if anything the government is likely to use national security concerns to close up Chinese import and investment over the next few years. We've already passed laws to that effect for investment so that Chinese companies are unable to buy up British companies on the cheap.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Careful now. We don't want to know what other posters are doing with their other hand when they are posting.

Full disclosure: I'm stroking my rabbit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes, two are tangoing on that issue, inexplicably. I think it's worth considering that just because the EU are in a stronger position, and even if they are, in general, seen by many as being more reasonable, they are not perfect in their choices and actions, especially when politics is in play and our perhaps pig headed leaders' stance is pitted against their leaders' ignorance of and contempt for the British political situation which, worthy of contempt people may think it is, but it is not useful to allow that to impact your decision making.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:
    No, because he didn't want this.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

moonshine said:

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Careful now. We don't want to know what other posters are doing with their other hand when they are posting.

Full disclosure: I'm stroking my rabbit.
    A fluffy bunny type rabbit or the sex toy type?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:
    His arrogance unlocked this. Worst prime minister apart from the incumbent.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

moonshine said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

Pagan2 said:

RobD said:

The point is that those deals won't be done. Part of why India has insisted on immigration being part of the equation is because they know it's an easy get out for them to not do one but still publicly be in favour of free trade. India has already withdrawn from RCEP because it doesn't really do free trade. The US deal has been covered here many times and the UK has a gigantic trade surplus with the US, there's no pressing need for a trade deal with the US, not Dr our perspective. Finally, the UK is already diversifying away from China and Chinese supply chains because of this whole virus crap, it would be completely against the run of play to sign a trade deal with China of any kind, if anything the government is likely to use national security concerns to close up Chinese import and investment over the next few years. We've already passed laws to that effect for investment so that Chinese companies are unable to buy up British companies on the cheap.
    I don't agree here, I'm afraid. These are just far too huge powers for a post-Brexit Britain not to engage with specifically on trade, and in time it will.
  • Options

Quantity over quality?
    Disney's issue is likely to be going overboard, then overcorrecting. Many criticise the Mavel movies as being a bit formulaic and there's some truth in that, but while some were not great, many were and none were outright bad, despite them turning out by the end 3 of them a year. After Solo was a stupefyingly bland Star Wars film they paused on a bunch of side story movies, but frankly, given the absurd scale of the extended Star Wars canon, they could very easily do 1-2 movies a year, and many a series, without exhausting themselves or churning out complete garbage.

Doesn't mean they won't do just that, there's a finite number of good writers, producers and actors out there, but the scale of that over that period doesn't in itself strike a cause for worry.
  • Options
    I'm not paying for Disney Plus then paying on top of that more than I would in a cinema to see their releases though.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:
    His arrogance unlocked this. Worst prime minister apart from the incumbent.
    Only because we managed to avoid milibrand, corbyn and starmer
  • Options
    FPT (apologetically)

I detect a sober mood on here tonite as No Deal hardens into a reality. My attempts to introduce some smutty humour earlier now seems out of place so I'll give the answers to my little quiz now and fetch my coat.

6" = Much Ado About Nothing
    9" = As You Like It
    12" = Taming Of The Shrew
    Wet = Midsummer's Night Dream
    Dry = Twelfth Night

And the GBS diagram was:

0 0
    0 0 0

Man and Superman.

Bet you all can't wait to reproduce these little gems over Christmas. :)

Toodle pip.
  • Options
    completely off topic:

Robert Altmann's "Gosford Park" on German telly. Young Lozza in one of his early roles, convincingly portraying a complete arsehole. What a hoot.
  • Options
    However this ends I don’t appreciate having my livelihood and my children’s future being gambled like this.
This discussion has been closed.