Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

On the betting markets NO DEAL becomes favourite once again as the Brussels talks flounder – politic

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,604

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Good news. We can all stop pretending to respect Dawkins' self-regarding, tortuous pontifications on matters he has little clue about now.
    I respect your view to have such a opinion on Richard Dawkins....that's how it works right?
    No! You say I'm a complete tosser who isn't fit to lick the great logician's boots.

C'mon, get with the program.
    Programme.
    Program. ZERO respect for spelling pedants.

Tosser.
  • Options

It's really rather simple.

1. We want sausages for tea tonight.
    2. It's 9:45pm and all the shops close at 10pm.
    3. I go to Aldi and they offer me sausages for £1.99.
    4. I refuse.
    5. I go without sausages for tea because all other shops are now closed.

Is it Aldi's fault I am without sausages for tea?

The answer is no.

Tea is a drink.

Dinner and supper are the only realistic names for that 9.45pm meal.
    Supper? Are you from the 19th century?
    I'm just the grandson of immigrants to this country, I'm just going by what I was taught by my teachers.
  • Options

A better analogy than the Aldi sausages would be the pink coloured welder that you can only buy in the middle aisle at Aldi. You have to pay Aldi's price of £17.99 or do without? After brexit, it will cost £25.99. Do you still buy it?

Are they vegetarian sausages? :lol:
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

F1: sounds quite possible Hamilton will return:

https://twitter.com/adamcooperF1/status/1337035389618556928

if lewis is fit to race bottas can have the weekend off.
  • Options

4. I refuse.

The answer is no.

Tea is a drink.

But "dinner" is the name of the meal at midday?
    After all there were "Dinner Ladies"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYRC6BtoL5Y&list=PLcl0nZ7aOsGjoY4DyUvyzbhF7HuHU32fg&index=1
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

4. I refuse.

The answer is no.

Tea is a drink.

Supper? Are you from the 19th century?
    I'm just the grandson of immigrants to this country, I'm just going by what I was taught by my teachers.
    Ah, the days when Britain was still a supper-power.
  • Options
    Mr. 64, I hope Hamilton is absolutely feeling fine but can't race.

Last weekend was great, and part of that was due to his absence. Not his fault, combination of car and driver is practically unbeatable, but far better for things to be competitive at the sharp end.

And it'd be great to see Russell notch up a win.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, a meal that late is probably supper. Or tea.

You'd know that if you'd ever visited Yorkshire.

I see your knowledge of geography is nearly as bad your grasp of history.

1) I spent the first nineteen years of my life in South Yorkshire

2) I've spent the last seven years living in South Yorkshire

3) I also spent four years living in North Yorkshire

3) I spent six years working in Leeds, West Yorkshire

4) I've been a member of Yorkshire County Cricket Club since 2005

I couldn't be any more any more Yorkshire if my name was Yorky Yorkface
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

I'm very much looking forwards to brexit meaning brexit for the EU. No more security and intelligence cooperation, no more fishing waters, EU companies setting up capitalised subsidiary companies in the UK to get access to finance.

The desperation in their no deal contingency is really quite telling. That they feel the need to threaten the UK with what amounts to an economic blockade shows just how fragile their position actually is.

If only Boris had got an extra year or two to get the national infrastructure ready for no deal. In that position it really would be a no brainer. As it stands there is going to be a year or two of very difficult decision making and lots of upheaval in employment and industry. It's going to happen either way because the UK will never agree to the LPF and governance positions held by the EU, but we're going into it completely unprepared and in the shadow of a global pandemic which we're yet to recover from.

I remember being told last year that the UK would simply agree to the LPF and the EU would win whatever it was they were asking for by all of the usual suspects. For the whole year I've been saying that no UK government (Tory or Labour) would ever agree to either the LPF or governance that gave the EU unilateral right to apply tariffs without arbitration. Now it's happening because the EU didn't negotiate on either of those positions. It ending in no deal.

There is no way that once the UK assumes its territorial waters, the ability to set regulations and a post action arbitration via the WTO it will ever give them up as part of any deal with any nation or trading bloc. The EU are making a grave miscalculation and it's going to cost us what could have been a pretty good trade deal.

If it's a No Deal Brexit on 1st Jan 2021 then it's no more Mr. Nice Guy from the UK.

I don't want it but we need to hit them where it hurts. We've already managed to upset them now by approving a vaccine early so they're far more sensitive and fragile than they let on.
    No deal is entirely our fault. Stop this nonsense, it isn't a game.
    No, it absolutely isn't. I've always wanted a Deal, as you know - and I've been consistent in arguing against Leavers who've said the opposite - but if I what I understand to be true is the case (and none of us really know) then I wouldn't sign what's currently on the table. I'd be comfortable I'd been reasonable and proportionate in going up to and creatively around my red lines, but not clearly over them.

And, if it's No Deal, then that works both ways. The EU need to know that.
    1. We want a trade deal.
    2. The EU have offered us a trade deal.
    3. We've turned it down because we don't like the terms.

1. I want some sausages.
    2. Aldi offer me some sausages for £1.99.
    3. I don't want to buy Aldi's sausages because they're too expensive.

Is it Aldi's fault I don't have any sausages?
    It is Aldi's loss when Sainsbury's, Lidl, Tescos will sell me sausages at £1.75.
    Why did we go to Aldi in the first place?
    We were paying a large annual fee for an Aldi loyalty card, but have stopped that so can now shop around.
    Why were we paying a large annual fee for a loyalty card when we could at any time, as @MarqueeMark explains, have gone to Sainsbury's, Lidl, and Tescos to get the sausages cheaper?
    The membership fee made those shops more expensive as part of the terms of membership.
    They were cheaper.

OK I'm happy to relinquish this analogy.

As to the LPF here's another one.

Imagine we as the UK said we would trade with Nonsuchia as long as they didn't use child labour. For 10 years they don't use child labour and then they begin to use it. As such, at that time we stop trading with them. They violated our terms of trade.

The EU is demanding the right to alter the terms of trade at some point in the future at which point we can make a decision not to trade with them. Why make that decision now?
    That's not quite right though, because in this scenario we aren't talking about Nonsuchia violating the original terms, but the UK changing them unilaterally, and potentially in a manner that deliberately harms Nonsuchia.
    Yes but that's life. The fact is that at the moment all is well between the two nations. When things change then decisions would have to be made. If they, the EU, change the terms of trade in 5 yrs we can say sod off.

What's the point in saying sod off now?
    Because there's a lack of trust.

Better to face the issues head on now than to kick the can and be left over a barrel.
  • Options
    I don't know about the sausages, but this seems to capture it pretty well:
    https://twitter.com/JoshTANoble/status/1337007017479839745/photo/1
  • Options

4. I refuse.

The answer is no.

Tea is a drink.

But "dinner" is the name of the meal at midday?
    After all there were "Dinner Ladies"
    But no one is as famous as Lunchlady Doris.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

I'm very much looking forwards to brexit meaning brexit for the EU. No more security and intelligence cooperation, no more fishing waters, EU companies setting up capitalised subsidiary companies in the UK to get access to finance.

The desperation in their no deal contingency is really quite telling. That they feel the need to threaten the UK with what amounts to an economic blockade shows just how fragile their position actually is.

If only Boris had got an extra year or two to get the national infrastructure ready for no deal. In that position it really would be a no brainer. As it stands there is going to be a year or two of very difficult decision making and lots of upheaval in employment and industry. It's going to happen either way because the UK will never agree to the LPF and governance positions held by the EU, but we're going into it completely unprepared and in the shadow of a global pandemic which we're yet to recover from.

I remember being told last year that the UK would simply agree to the LPF and the EU would win whatever it was they were asking for by all of the usual suspects. For the whole year I've been saying that no UK government (Tory or Labour) would ever agree to either the LPF or governance that gave the EU unilateral right to apply tariffs without arbitration. Now it's happening because the EU didn't negotiate on either of those positions. It ending in no deal.

There is no way that once the UK assumes its territorial waters, the ability to set regulations and a post action arbitration via the WTO it will ever give them up as part of any deal with any nation or trading bloc. The EU are making a grave miscalculation and it's going to cost us what could have been a pretty good trade deal.

If it's a No Deal Brexit on 1st Jan 2021 then it's no more Mr. Nice Guy from the UK.

I don't want it but we need to hit them where it hurts. We've already managed to upset them now by approving a vaccine early so they're far more sensitive and fragile than they let on.
    No, it absolutely isn't. I've always wanted a Deal, as you know - and I've been consistent in arguing against Leavers who've said the opposite - but if I what I understand to be true is the case (and none of us really know) then I wouldn't sign what's currently on the table. I'd be comfortable I'd been reasonable and proportionate in going up to and creatively around my red lines, but not clearly over them.

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

It is Aldi's loss when Sainsbury's, Lidl, Tescos will sell me sausages at £1.75.
    We were paying a large annual fee for an Aldi loyalty card, but have stopped that so can now shop around.
    Why were we paying a large annual fee for a loyalty card when we could at any time, as @MarqueeMark explains, have gone to Sainsbury's, Lidl, and Tescos to get the sausages cheaper?
    The membership fee made those shops more expensive as part of the terms of membership.
    They were cheaper.

Imagine we as the UK said we would trade with Nonsuchia as long as they didn't use child labour. For 10 years they don't use child labour and then they begin to use it. As such, at that time we stop trading with them. They violated our terms of trade.

The EU is demanding the right to alter the terms of trade at some point in the future at which point we can make a decision not to trade with them. Why make that decision now?
    That's not quite right though, because in this scenario we aren't talking about Nonsuchia violating the original terms, but the UK changing them unilaterally, and potentially in a manner that deliberately harms Nonsuchia.
    Yes but that's life. The fact is that at the moment all is well between the two nations. When things change then decisions would have to be made. If they, the EU, change the terms of trade in 5 yrs we can say sod off.

This is the essence of the deal I am (still) expecting. FOM ends. Fish repatriated. LPF accepted with option for future divergence at a price. Yep.
  • Options

Liverpool FC isn't located in Yorkshire, historic or otherwise!
  • Options
    If Boris Johnson doesn't put London into Tier 3 it is further evidence he hates the North.

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1337046069952262148
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Good news. We can all stop pretending to respect Dawkins' self-regarding, tortuous pontifications on matters he has little clue about now.
    I respect your view to have such a opinion on Richard Dawkins....that's how it works right?
    No! You say I'm a complete tosser who isn't fit to lick the great logician's boots.

Programme.

Tosser.
    Usage of program and programme:

US: program is the only spelling normally used.
    UK: programme is used in all cases except for computer code, in which case program is generally used. Older sources may use programme for computer code.
    Canada: both program and programme are used, but program is more common.
    Australia: program is endorsed by the Macquarie Dictionary and is frequently used in both formal and informal settings.
    New Zealand: programme is favoured by New Zealand dictionaries, and is endorsed by government usage; program is rarely seen outside the computing meaning.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/program
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,275

If Boris Johnson doesn't put London into Tier 3 it is further evidence he hates the North.

Or he doesn't care about Londoners snuffing it (I can see the logic).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,671

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

Better to face the issues head on now than to kick the can and be left over a barrel.
    Bizarre.
  • Options

That's just a result of the time I grew up in.

There used to be about 12 matches a season shown live on TV and 11 of them featured Liverpool.

Because English football was plagued by hooliganism and it wasn't exactly welcoming for non white supporters I was barred from going to any matches, so I gravitated towards Liverpool.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,775
    edited December 2020

I am not sure that tweet is correct....did they mean England?

The infection rate across Wales now stands at 326.8 per 100,000 people based on the seven days up to December 5. This is an increase from 308.3 on Monday. However, PHW said that due to a lag in receiving data, the most recent incidence is likely to be an underestimate.

Neath Port Talbot is the local authority with the highest infection rate in Wales with a seven day rate of 632.2 per 100,000 population, up from 621.7 the day before.

Blaenau Gwent has the second highest rate with 555.4 cases per 100,000 population, up from 529.6 on Monday.

Merthyr Tydfil is in third with 527.1 cases per 100,000 population, up from 499 on one day earlier.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/coronavirus-infection-rates-cases-deaths-19414459
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,364
    tlg86 said:

Thats still half the Wales infection rate, good old circuit breaker
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,034
    edited December 2020
    Absolute bargain.

Caviar Launches $6,000+ Custom iPhone 12 Pro With Fragment of Steve Jobs' Original Turtleneck Embedded in Apple Logo.

Caviar, a site known for creating extravagant, expensive replacement casings for Apple's iPhone models, today announced the launch of its latest custom creation, an iPhone 12 Pro customized in the style of an ‌iPhone‌ 4.

The "‌iPhone 12 Pro‌ Jobs 4" collection is dedicated to Steve Jobs and the 10th anniversary of the ‌iPhone‌ 4 – the last model to be personally presented by Jobs – and features ‌iPhone 12 Pro‌ and iPhone 12 Pro Max models in blackened titanium, white, and a luxury gold version....

...According to Caviar, the white model is made of composite G10 covered with jewelry enamel and its apple logo is made of 925 sterling silver, while the gold model is made of genuine 18 karat gold and its apple logo is crafted from 750 gold.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/10/caviar-launches-custom-iphone-12-pro/

I'm absolutely gutted that I've already bought my 12 Pro Max otherwise I'd have ordered this.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,810
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.
    You're welcome - it's my pleasure. Anything I can do to help.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.

UK: programme is used in all cases except for computer code, in which case program is generally used. Older sources may use programme for computer code.
    Australia: program is endorsed by the Macquarie Dictionary and is frequently used in both formal and informal settings.
    New Zealand: programme is favoured by New Zealand dictionaries, and is endorsed by government usage; program is rarely seen outside the computing meaning.

Exactly! Respect due to both spellings - although of course you don't have to.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.

Exactly! Respect due to both spellings - although of course you don't have to.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,135

There used to be about 12 matches a season shown live on TV and 11 of them featured Liverpool.

Because English football was plagued by hooliganism and it wasn't exactly welcoming for non white supporters I was barred from going to any matches, so I gravitated towards Liverpool.
    That's a very long-winded way of writing "I'm a glory supporter". ;)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,684
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

No, that's not what's happening though. The UK has already agreed to the principle of no backsliding from an agreed baseline.

To use your analogy, and I know PB loves a good analogy, the UK and Nonsuchia agree a trade deal which says "no child labour on any products exported between the two, child labour constitutes any labour involving children under the age of 16" then ten years down the road the UK updates it's definition of child labour to be "any person under the age of 21". We apply that to the existing trade deal and because of our new definition are able to apply punitive tariffs unless Nonsuchia agrees to eliminate labour by any person under the age of 21.

It's clearly possible for us to do that and as the lesser party Nonsuchia may just have to agree with it and put all of their 16-20 year olds out of work but that's what the EU are proposing. That they can change their rules and we either sign up or face tariffs. It's not about us changing our rules or lowering the agreed baseline on regulations or standards, it's about them deciding change them and us being subjected to them while other nations with which the EU havr trade deals wouldn't be.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,702
    The question isn’t whether he is stupid, in an intellectual sense, but whether he has been stupid in a strategic sense, boxing himself in so thoroughly that the political price he would pay for reaching a compromise is greater than the political price he risks paying for subjecting chaos upon the rest of us.

Politicians seem to like these self inflicted straightjackets, making them as cast iron promises (such as the no tax or NI rises) or even writing them needlessly into legislation (such as the no further extension). Such antics rarely age well. When I was young, politicians did their best to keep their options open.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,138

Absolute bargain.

Caviar Launches $6,000+ Custom iPhone 12 Pro With Fragment of Steve Jobs' Original Turtleneck Embedded in Apple Logo.

Caviar, a site known for creating extravagant, expensive replacement casings for Apple's iPhone models, today announced the launch of its latest custom creation, an iPhone 12 Pro customized in the style of an ‌iPhone‌ 4.

The "‌iPhone 12 Pro‌ Jobs 4" collection is dedicated to Steve Jobs and the 10th anniversary of the ‌iPhone‌ 4 – the last model to be personally presented by Jobs – and features ‌iPhone 12 Pro‌ and iPhone 12 Pro Max models in blackened titanium, white, and a luxury gold version....

...According to Caviar, the white model is made of composite G10 covered with jewelry enamel and its apple logo is made of 925 sterling silver, while the gold model is made of genuine 18 karat gold and its apple logo is crafted from 750 gold.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/12/10/caviar-launches-custom-iphone-12-pro/

I'm absolutely gutted that I've already bought my 12 Pro Max otherwise I'd have ordered this.

This sounds like something to be avoided even more than an Apple.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Some people on here fail to understand that it's not a strong hand if the other side can and does walk away.

That's called overplaying your hand.

That is a calculation for the side with the strong hand to make. The calculation for the other side is whether the harm done by walking away is worth it.

The problem this is an issue of principle

Jurisdictional control would be bad but happens (eg with the US). It would be odd for the 5th largest economy to accept but not implausible

Dynamic LPF is a matter of principle
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,012
    edited December 2020
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

I do agree with that. Clearly we meet the EU's standards today and we've already said we aren't going to regress.

The questions I would have are:
    Who gets to assess changes and determine whether they materially affect a market?
    Are material changes in the market for one good able to be used to trigger a retaliation in the market for another one?
    Would a single breach invalidate the whole agreement?
    What actually constitutes a LPF if we can have different tax rates and wage laws already?

Possibly these have already been answered...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.
    :smile:

Why do you object to US spelling you complete infant who I now find it almost impossible to respect?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,689

tlg86 said:

The circuit break worked, what the useless clowns did AFTER is the problem. But don't let fact get in the way of your narrative.
  • Options

Honestly I was loyal even under the Hodgson era.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.

Why do you object to US spelling you complete infant who I now find it almost impossible to respect?
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

No, that's not what's happening though. The UK has already agreed to the principle of no backsliding from an agreed baseline.

To use your analogy, and I know PB loves a good analogy, the UK and Nonsuchia agree a trade deal which says "no child labour on any products exported between the two, child labour constitutes any labour involving children under the age of 16" then ten years down the road the UK updates it's definition of child labour to be "any person under the age of 21". We apply that to the existing trade deal and because of our new definition are able to apply punitive tariffs unless Nonsuchia agrees to eliminate labour by any person under the age of 21.

It's clearly possible for us to do that and as the lesser party Nonsuchia may just have to agree with it and put all of their 16-20 year olds out of work but that's what the EU are proposing. That they can change their rules and we either sign up or face tariffs. It's not about us changing our rules or lowering the agreed baseline on regulations or standards, it's about them deciding change them and us being subjected to them while other nations with which the EU havr trade deals wouldn't be.
    I will accept that analogy. My (the) point is why worry about it now? We have 10 years of happy trading and then need to make a decision. Even if the EU says actually we only accept goods made by people who are left-handed that's fine also. Because today they aren't saying that and when or if they do say it we can tell them to eff off.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,538
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

I have grave doubts about the existence of Richard Dawkins.
    I can assure you by personal observation and palpation that he does exist.
    What misdeed did you commit that you were obliged to palpate Dawkins ?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.

Your obviously triggered over this. And I can sympathize.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.

I don't object to it at all - it's only natural that they should have their own spellings for some things.
  • Options
    Also, one of the reasons why the LPF matters is that the EU want the deal to cover all areas of the UK/EU relationship. So they can unilaterally make the terms of trade worse for the UK (the bit we're interested in) but leave the wider deal unaffected including security cooperation, fishing rights and shipping from all of which the EU benefits a great deal more than the UK.

This is why the LPF/Governance combination is unacceptable.

The EU wants something much wider than a trade deal but simultaneously wants the unilateral right to worsen the actual trade terms with us without the right of retaliation by the UK other than deciding we've had enough and abrogating the treaty. Sounds familiar.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

I do agree with that. Clearly we meet the EU's standards today and we've already said we aren't going to regress.

The questions I would have are:
    Who gets to assess changes and determine whether they materially affect a market?
    Are material changes in the market for one good able to be used to trigger a retaliation in the market for another one?
    Would a single breach invalidate the whole agreement?
    What actually constitutes a LPF if we can have different tax rates and wage laws already?

Possibly these have already been answered...
    All good questions, there are probably 10 people on the planet who can answer them!

My point is that we live in an uncertain and changing age. Anyone can make demands on anyone else and that party has the right to accept or reject them.

It's like saying you dislike someone you've never met because if you had met they would have insulted you.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Also, one of the reasons why the LPF matters is that the EU want the deal to cover all areas of the UK/EU relationship. So they can unilaterally make the terms of trade worse for the UK (the bit we're interested in) but leave the wider deal unaffected including security cooperation, fishing rights and shipping from all of which the EU benefits a great deal more than the UK.

The EU wants something much wider than a trade deal but simultaneously wants the unilateral right to worsen the actual trade terms with us without the right of retaliation by the UK other than deciding we've had enough and abrogating the treaty. Sounds familiar.

But if they unilaterally worsen the terms of trade we can tell them to sod off.

We are a sovereign nation. (Always were, obvs.)
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,364

tlg86 said:

The circuit break worked, what the useless clowns did AFTER is the problem. But don't let fact get in the way of your narrative.
    Thats a bit like saying to a speed cop that you were doing 30 mph before you did 100 mph
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

We have the same rights. The whole proposal is symmetric.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

Bizarre to say there's a lack of trust?

Or bizarre to say agreeing principles should be done now during the negotiations?

It's not unusual to have the option of retaliatory tariffs, but that normally happens under WTO rules. Under FTA rules normally there is arbitration first.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

I will accept that analogy. My (the) point is why worry about it now? We have 10 years of happy trading and then need to make a decision. Even if the EU says actually we only accept goods made by people who are left-handed that's fine also. Because today they aren't saying that and when or if they do say it we can tell them to eff off.
    Sure we can, but the moment we do that our exports to the EU are suddenly much less competitive than internal goods or goods from Canada, Japan and other countries where the EU isn't able to apply tariffs for not signing up to whatever random rules which they decide to come up with. In fact there is a perverse incentive for the the Commission to specifically target the UK with these kinds of regulations as they know it won't apply to their other trade deals and they also know that internally the adherence will be fairly low.

I want the UK and EU to have a trade deal, I think it would be beneficial for both sides. I don't think any terms of trade which gives either side the right to apply tariffs unilaterally makes sense. I'd be saying the same if we had put forwards such an idiotic proposal.

Edit: our whole relationship with the EU has been "why worry about it now" until the moment we had to worry about it and it fucked us over. The Lisbon treaty and giving up veto power in areas which were important to us should be a pretty good lesson on why you can't take that attitude with the EU. They will use whatever leverage they have to fuck us over. Don't put them in a position where they can do so.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

But that's not what happens under a ratchet clause. The analogy would be the UK raising its definition of child labour to 21 (with no retaliation), then nonsuchia raises their definition to 21 too, reflecting a new international consensus and the new norm. Then nonsuchia a few years down the line decides that employing teenagers is cheaper and they can take some business off us, and cut the definition back to 16. At that point, the ratchet clause kicks in and we apply tariffs. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah we already did it once, but I think building a relationship where we don't need to use the nuclear option is a better long term foundation for a relationship. Otherwise we're just waiting for the day where we tell to get fucked again.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

But that's not what happens under a ratchet clause. The analogy would be the UK raising its definition of child labour to 21 (with no retaliation), then nonsuchia raises their definition to 21 too, reflecting a new international consensus and the new norm. Then nonsuchia a few years down the line decides that employing teenagers is cheaper and they can take some business off us, and cut the definition back to 16. At that point, the ratchet clause kicks in and we apply tariffs. Doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
    That's a different part of the deal, the ratchet isn't the same as the lightning tariffs. The latter are proposed for when the UK doesn't take up whatever new regulations the EU decides changes the LPF. It gives the EU the right to worsen trade terms for the UK in a way it doesn't for other nations they have trade deals with.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Yeah we already did it once, but I think building a relationship where we don't need to use the nuclear option is a better long term foundation for a relationship. Otherwise we're just waiting for the day where we tell to get fucked again.
    So we tell them to fuck off now in order to avoid the possibility of maybe having to tell them to fuck off at some unspecified time in the future? Makes sense, great!
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,912

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

But thats not the proposal which as I understand it we raise it to 21, then if nonesuchia doesn't we can apply tariffs. This then puts nonesuchia in a bind because it will apply nationally and not just to goods they trade with us and will have an impact on all their other trade.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.

, whom.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,245

It's a real fine line between "loyal" and "sad".....
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,393
    Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Getting him to sign my first ewdition of the Selfish Gene - a long time ago now.
  • Options
    Honestly, the analogies are more irritating than a gross of Twitter re-posts.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,344
    FTSE very stable today and over last few days - suggests not concerned by prospect of no deal.

Is this because fall in pound from no deal would boost FTSE earnings such as to offset any damage to UK economy?

Or does market think there wouldn't be any substantial (long term) damage?
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Getting him to sign my first ewdition of the Selfish Gene - a long time ago now.
    An excellent typo.
  • Options

It's a real fine line between "loyal" and "sad".....
    https://twitter.com/LFCRelated/status/976489286156587008
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,775
    edited December 2020

tlg86 said:

No it didn't.....it didn't squash down infection rates anywhere near enough. It needed to be a lot longer, which was the whole argument in the first place.

The month in England probably wasn't enough, not if you want this hall pass at Christmas.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

So we tell them to fuck off now in order to avoid the possibility of maybe having to tell them to fuck off at some unspecified time in the future? Makes sense, great!
    Yes because the reality will be that we will accept their stupid proposals for a long time before we decide to fuck them off, all the while it makes the whole economy uncompetitive which is essentially what the LPF is designed to do, to ensure that the UK economy never becomes competitive with the EU for a larger share of global trade.
  • Options
    Mr. B, a burned analogy is like a burned dog-

"Oh, shut up!"
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

You mean you don't love a good PB analogy?!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

Sure we can, but the moment we do that our exports to the EU are suddenly much less competitive than internal goods or goods from Canada, Japan and other countries where the EU isn't able to apply tariffs for not signing up to whatever random rules which they decide to come up with. In fact there is a perverse incentive for the the Commission to specifically target the UK with these kinds of regulations as they know it won't apply to their other trade deals and they also know that internally the adherence will be fairly low.

I want the UK and EU to have a trade deal, I think it would be beneficial for both sides. I don't think any terms of trade which gives either side the right to apply tariffs unilaterally makes sense. I'd be saying the same if we had put forwards such an idiotic proposal.

Edit: our whole relationship with the EU has been "why worry about it now" until the moment we had to worry about it and it fucked us over. The Lisbon treaty and giving up veto power in areas which were important to us should be a pretty good lesson on why you can't take that attitude with the EU. They will use whatever leverage they have to fuck us over. Don't put them in a position where they can do so.
    Even though it was bizarre pantomine, the Lisbon Treaty was signed by the head of our democratically elected government.

And as for our goods being less competitive if they arbitrarily apply tariffs, that is their right. We can no more forbid them from applying tariffs than they can forbid us from doing the same. If they decided they wanted to apply tariffs unilaterally we could either apply tariffs ourselves or walk away.

Today it looks like we want to walk away before any of this has happened.

(I don't think we will walk away but what a sh*tshow.)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

That response is like a gorilla walking into the lions' den wearing a kimono.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,702
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.

, whom.
    Lol @ “US spelling”. There is English, spelled properly; and then there is mistakes.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,409
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.

, whom.
    Lol @ “US spelling”. There is English, spelled properly; and then there is mistakes.
    "Is"?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

At least they are being used to grapple some fairly complex issues in this thread. Unlike our daily digest of being told we're hurtling toward a cliff edge whilst shooting ourselves in the foot and trying to have our cake and eat it.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.

, whom.
    "Is"?
    You hate to see it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

That's a different part of the deal, the ratchet isn't the same as the lightning tariffs. The latter are proposed for when the UK doesn't take up whatever new regulations the EU decides changes the LPF. It gives the EU the right to worsen trade terms for the UK in a way it doesn't for other nations they have trade deals with.
    The unilateral tariff response is an alternative to the ratchet clause after the UK rejected the latter during the summer. If the UK doesn't like the unilateral tariffs it should sign up to the ratchet clause.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.

Yes, Sunil. Thank you.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

The unilateral tariff response is an alternative to the ratchet clause after the UK rejected the latter during the summer. If the UK doesn't like the unilateral tariffs it should sign up to the ratchet clause.
    No, it shouldn't sign up to either.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    EU makes no-deal transport offer in return for 'level playing field' agreement
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/10/raab-eu-must-make-substantial-shift-for-brexit-talks-to-succeed
    The EU has offered to keep planes, coaches and freight operating across Europe for six months after a no-deal exit – if the government agrees to maintain a “level playing field” in standards, the issue that has dogged the trade and security talks.

In a flurry of announcements, the European commission said it would legislate to temporarily allow airlines from the UK to operate flights across its territory and keep roads open to British hauliers and buses.

The EU will also offer British fishermen access to its seas and open negotiations over quotas, if the UK government reciprocates. But the commission said the offer was for a limited period and it was only willing to act to avoid the worst disruption, including the risk of “public disorder”.

In a move that will only serve to irritate the British government in the context of the troubled talks on a future trade deal, the commission also insisted its offer depended on the UK having “equivalent” regulations....
  • Options

Mr. B, a burned analogy is like a burned dog-

"Oh, shut up!"

Burned or unburned, they all smell.
  • Options
    This is interesting, and a useful warning on identity fraud:

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1337055803866574853

I presume that the scam is an attempt to open fake bank accounts or credit cards in the name of the 'deceased'.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/10/raab-eu-must-make-substantial-shift-for-brexit-talks-to-succeed

It's clear they are going to try and jam it into whatever they can and we should reject it every time. They're proposing an economic blockade if they refuse to let UK flights use the airspace, that will last about 3 seconds in any arbitration process. Haulage is the one area where they do hold the cards, but at the same time they benefit a lot more from reciprocal access rather than using rail/sea shipping and then domestic haulage.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

At least they are being used to grapple some fairly complex issues in this thread. Unlike our daily digest of being told we're hurtling toward a cliff edge whilst shooting ourselves in the foot and trying to have our cake and eat it.
    Analogies have been deployed here in order to explain aspects of Brexit since before the referendum itself.
    Invariably they obfuscate rather than explain.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Yes because the reality will be that we will accept their stupid proposals for a long time before we decide to fuck them off, all the while it makes the whole economy uncompetitive which is essentially what the LPF is designed to do, to ensure that the UK economy never becomes competitive with the EU for a larger share of global trade.
    LPF is designed to prevent the EU being forced into becoming a deregulated low wage shithole in just because the Tories decide that's what we deserve. It's a sensible precaution.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

LPF is designed to prevent the EU being forced into becoming a deregulated low wage shithole in just because the Tories decide that's what we deserve. It's a sensible precaution.
    Except that in many countries in the EU, their minimum wage is considerably lower than ours??
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,574
    That is a great find. Trump is such an ignorant, jealous, dishonest, and repugnant creep. If Trump was a work of fiction, rather than the current President as he unfortunately is, we'd find his character far-fetched and think that the author was a hack.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

You mean you don't love a good PB analogy?!
    I enjoy a good analogy as much as anyone.
    Explicatory analogies are like unlaundered pants.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.

, whom.

Ok Ok.

I was just seeking to implement the new Cambridge rule of "No Respect" on here with all you tossers, kind of a trial, see how it works.

Seems to have got derailed and well & truly backfired.

Honestly.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

But thats not the proposal which as I understand it we raise it to 21, then if nonesuchia doesn't we can apply tariffs. This then puts nonesuchia in a bind because it will apply nationally and not just to goods they trade with us and will have an impact on all their other trade.
    That is the alternative proposal after we rejected the ratchet clause.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

It's clear they are going to try and jam it into whatever they can and we should reject it every time. They're proposing an economic blockade if they refuse to let UK flights use the airspace, that will last about 3 seconds in any arbitration process. Haulage is the one area where they do hold the cards, but at the same time they benefit a lot more from reciprocal access rather than using rail/sea shipping and then domestic haulage.
    Yes - really interesting that they are literally threatening an economic blockade. That tells me their current offer stinks, and they need to be told to fuck off.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Programme.

Tosser.

, whom.
    Sounding a bit of an old reactionary there, Ian.

Not what one expects from a Liberal Democrat.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Except that it was the Tories that introduced the national living wage and a whole host of employee protections. It's a Tory government that signed us up to various climate agreements and the net zero pledge. Get off your high horse.

Anyway, the UK has agreed to baseline standards and non-regression clauses wrt to the baseline and binding arbitration for it. The level of the baseline is up for debate but I'm sure a suitable one could easily be found if the EU dropped the future alignment crap.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Yes - I didn't post it with any sense of approval, but as an indication of how far away the two sides appear to be from agreement.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,681
    MikeL said:

FTSE very stable today and over last few days - suggests not concerned by prospect of no deal.

Is this because fall in pound from no deal would boost FTSE earnings such as to offset any damage to UK economy?

Or does market think there wouldn't be any substantial (long term) damage?

The UK market has somewhat underperformed others in the last couple of years, mainly because of the continuing uncertainty related to Brexit. I suspect that there is quite a lot of bad news in the prices already. The expectation from our fund manager is that if there is no deal there will be modest turbulence but if there is a deal there is a very significant upside in the UK market, for FTSE 250 companies in particular.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Nigelb said:

Yes - I didn't post it with any sense of approval, but as an indication of how far apart the two sides appear to be from agreement.
    Indeed, it's been clear since the start of the process that the LPF would end in disagreement and no deal.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,034
    edited December 2020

This is interesting, and a useful warning on identity fraud:

https://twitter.com/keiranpedley/status/1337055803866574853

I presume that the scam is an attempt to open fake bank accounts or credit cards in the name of the 'deceased'.

Yup.

I mentioned the other day that one of the biggest increases in frauds these days is related to death.

Is one of the reasons banks seem a bit harsh when you have to deal with them when your partner/family member sadly dies.

I'd suggest to you all that you keep your address, email, and phone numbers up to date.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Except that in many countries in the EU, their minimum wage is considerably lower than ours??
    That's why countries like France resisted EU enlargement, while the UK was a vocal supporter. Minimum wages aren't an EU competency anyway and so aren't covered by the LPF provisions.
  • Options
    It's very amusing, in a grim way, to see various Leavers' indignation at the fact that the EU is following the approach which the Leavers advocate for the UK - no deal better than a bad deal, sovereignty, sticking to their principles, holding and being prepared to use the cards, being prepared to walk away...
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,343
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Analogies have been deployed here in order to explain aspects of Brexit since before the referendum itself.
    Yes, they make it hard to see the wood for the trees.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,912

Pagan2 said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

1. We want a trade deal.

1. I want some sausages.

They were cheaper.

That is the alternative proposal after we rejected the ratchet clause.
    And it should be equally rejected as its one sided just as much as the ratchet clause was.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

But how are you defining tree ? Or wood.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Or indeed the sausages for the chipolatas.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Except that it was the Tories that introduced the national living wage and a whole host of employee protections. It's a Tory government that signed us up to various climate agreements and the net zero pledge. Get off your high horse.

Anyway, the UK has agreed to baseline standards and non-regression clauses wrt to the baseline and binding arbitration for it. The level of the baseline is up for debate but I'm sure a suitable one could easily be found if the EU dropped the future alignment crap.
    I don't understand the problem with the ratchet clause version of alignment. If it's sensible to not regress from current shared standards now, surely it's also sensible to not regress from future shared standards. Norms change over time, after all.
  • Options

It's very amusing, in a grim way, to see various Leavers' indignation at the fact that the EU is following the approach which the Leavers advocate for the UK - no deal better than a bad deal, sovereignty, sticking to their principles, holding and being prepared to use the cards, being prepared to walk away...

Doesn't it in fact prove that we were right all along and that these things are important and a bad deal is worse than no deal?

The EU agrees with leavers in the UK, at any rate.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Doesn't it in fact prove that we were right all along and that these things are important and a bad deal is worse than no deal?

The EU agrees with leavers in the UK, at any rate.
    No, you promised the country sunlit uplands.
This discussion has been closed.