Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

As Trump continues to be in denial about his defeat Biden gets a significant Gallup favourability bo

12346»

Comments

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

nico679 said:

You’d normally announce no deal when the markets are closed to give the BOE time to step in and save the pound from completely collapsing .

If it is a no deal then it’s a very bad outcome for both sides but you’d have to be in total denial to think that the EU will suffer more . It’s absolutely catastrophic for the UK .

And the EU have remained largely united throughout the last 4 years and no other EU country will think about leaving which is what the Brexit cult were hoping for to give some validation for their lunatic project .

I don't think it's possible to say for sure that "no deal" will be catastrophic or a disaster but it certainly doesn't look rosy.
    I suspect all is not unity between Ireland and France at present, indeed I would imagine voices are being raised between individual EU countries over the nightmare for everyone in a no deal outcome
    I would imagine that plans for massive assistance to Ireland in the event of a no deal are being drawn up even as we speak. It'd be a fantastic opportunity for the EU to show how it can support smaller countries.
    They did such a great job with Greece just a few years ago......
    Indeed they did, despite the fact the Greece's problems were largely self-inflicted. The Greek economy is now operating on a much more sustainable basis.
    Wow!
  • Options
    SA v ENG ODI series cancelled.

What a shame.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,473
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Breaking up the UK is not likely to be the sort of 'transformation' BoZo will be lauded for

He is not going to break up the UK, hence he is passing the internal markets bill and will ban indyref2 as long as he remains PM
    Him and your party will however likely go down in history as the CAUSE of the breakup of the UK.

Good job guys.
    Do you think they'll dangle a statue of Boris the Liberator on a string between Edinburgh Castle and Calton Hill? You know, in crash helmet on a trolley a la Millennium Dome?
    I think naming one of the poles in an Edinburgh pubic triangle go-go bar Boris the Liberator would be a fitting tribute.
    I am actually very familiar with the outside of those pubs - the Pubic Triangle also being the biggest concentration of secondhand bookshops in Edinburgh or indeed SE Scotland that I know of.
    There must be many punters in that locale who are familiar with the outside of those bookshops. :smile:
    Those pubs, and one or two similar-looking establishments on Lothian Road, happen to be very conveniently close to the Haymarket area - ie the main financial quarter, business meetings etc.
    I remember the days when a couple of pints and a stripper in the lunch hour was a totally acceptable part of the working day.

#thingswehavelost
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338
    felix said:

MattW said:

Quite weird resignation.

This is what she said:

"There needs to be something in place that protects people of faith as well as those who think the other way. It is an issue of conscience. It is like people having a choice who for reasons of conscience cannot participate in conducting an abortion.”
    It is a sign of how extreme wokeness has become in some circles that anyone should be criticised to the point of resignation for such comments.
    I've never heard of her before, and I don't know exactly what criticisms you are referring to here. But, as I understand it she was suggesting registrars should be allowed to discriminate against people - a position I would also criticise.
  • Options

Mr. 43, aye. It's unfortunate to have a PM who combines the work ethic of a drunken sloth with the intellectual prowess of a drunken sloth.

How much would it cost to get a sloth from London Zoo and a drip feed of whisky and install both in No 10?

Would it actually be any worse than the current situation?
    I believe sloths are quite smelly and being pished probably wouldn't improve matters, so there is that (assuming BJ smells better than he looks).
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    edited December 2020
    oops..
  • Options
    kamski said:

felix said:

MattW said:

Quite weird resignation.

This is what she said:

"There needs to be something in place that protects people of faith as well as those who think the other way. It is an issue of conscience. It is like people having a choice who for reasons of conscience cannot participate in conducting an abortion.”
    It is a sign of how extreme wokeness has become in some circles that anyone should be criticised to the point of resignation for such comments.
    I've never heard of her before, and I don't know exactly what criticisms you are referring to here. But, as I understand it she was suggesting registrars should be allowed to discriminate against people - a position I would also criticise.
    Absolutely. Registrars job is to register weddings, not express their own faith. If you're not prepared to do your job because of your faith then quit and get another job.

I wouldn't expect a bartender who refused to serve alcohol due to their faith to survive in their job for long either.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,128

slade said:

Nigelb said:

I like this plan; it's wild, but seems quite rational.
    And it's no deal Brexit ready.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/xlinks-revives-desertecs-dream-with-a-few-twists
    ...the concept is to install 10 gigawatts of PV and wind generation capacity along with 25 gigawatt-hours of battery storage near Tantan in southern Morocco and then pipe the electricity production all the way to Britain....

...Xlinks will be focusing mostly on PV, which founder and CEO Simon Morrish claims can now deliver electricity at around $15 per megawatt-hour in North Africa.

The second big differentiator between Xlinks and previous Sahara generation schemes is transport. While previous concepts looked to ship electricity via interconnectors to mainland Europe, Xlinks plans to run 3.6 GW of subsea cable capacity from the African coast to the U.K., following the continental shelf around Portugal, Spain and France.

The beauty of this idea is that it would massively simplify permitting, Morrish told GTM in an interview.

Even assuming a total project cost of £16 billion ($21.6 billion), half of which would go toward high-voltage direct-current cabling, Xlinks expects to be able to provide up to 7.5 percent of U.K. electricity with a contracts-for-difference bid of around £52 ($70) per megawatt-hour.

This compares to a strike price of £92.50 ($125 at today’s rates) per megawatt-hour agreed in 2012 for Hinkley Point C, the U.K.’s newest nuclear plant. ...

A few days ago I watched a series on Netflix which showed the current vast solar complex in Morocco, The expert commenting said that total energy needs of the world for a year were equivalent to what is produced by the sun in an hour. There are of course a range of technical issues to solve but if true it puts things into perspective.
    Meanwhile, back in Essex.
    https://www.theengineer.co.uk/uks-first-all-electric-forecourt-opens-in-essex/
    Sadly, if I do buy an electric car I’ll be too close to use it. Need a few more scattered about the country. Might go and have a look at it, though.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,671
    The current situation is quite exciting really. Either we will have a deal that Boris can sell, resulting in a lot of psychological relief for many, or we will be firmly set on being a third nation outside the EU, which was my initial preferred option.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,509

oops..

Context?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,473
    felix said:

MattW said:

Quite weird resignation.

This is what she said:

I don't think this is extreme wokeness. She said that Registrars should be able to refuse to certify a gay marriage on the grounds of conscience. This is controversial and out of step with the values of the party she represents.
  • Options

oops..

Context?
    posted on wrong thread and edited away..
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,316
    edited December 2020

The banks have been putting in measures for months, this from September, another profitable revenue stream lost for the UK economy, but at least we'll be sovereign.

Thousands of Britons living in the EU will have their UK bank accounts closed by the end of the year because of the UK’s failure to agree a post-Brexit trade deal.

Lloyds, Barclays and Coutts have informed retail and business customers that they will lose their accounts before or when the Brexit transition period ends on 31 December and more banks are expected to follow suit.

Lloyds Banking Group, which includes Halifax and Bank of Scotland, has contacted its 13,000 customers in the Netherlands, Slovakia, Germany, Ireland and Portugal, warning them they must make alternative arrangements as the bank is no longer allowed to offer services.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/sep/21/britons-eu-uk-bank-accounts-closed-lloyds-barclays-brexit

I've never understood this. Why on earth should a UK bank care a toss about EU passporting in terms of operating accounts in the UK for ex-pats? It's an entirely UK matter, surely? If the UK regulators don't mind the banks providing such services, what's the problem?
    After 32 years I am also being told to close my Barclays Account. Just another piece of crap that the filth responsible for this national disaster are inflicting on millions. Thinking about how many times these shits have lied outright brings me to the point of violence. And now they are starting on Scotland... frankly I´m no nationalist but "&%& ´em" is actually a perfectly rational response.
  • Options
    Mr. Cicero, sorry to hear about the account situation.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,316
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Breaking up the UK is not likely to be the sort of 'transformation' BoZo will be lauded for

He is not going to break up the UK, hence he is passing the internal markets bill and will ban indyref2 as long as he remains PM
    Him and your party will however likely go down in history as the CAUSE of the breakup of the UK.

Good job guys.
    No they won't, that would only be if they allowed Scotland to go on their watch, which they won't.

As Spain has proved with Catalonia illegal independence referendums can be ignored, if Labour however win in 2024 and allow indyref2 then either the Union side wins, probably on a Federalist platform with devomax from Starmer, or the Yes side wins and it will be Labour which allowed the Union to break up
    Well, as we say "Aye, right Pal. Try it why don¨t you?"
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,081
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Good job guys.
    Do you think they'll dangle a statue of Boris the Liberator on a string between Edinburgh Castle and Calton Hill? You know, in crash helmet on a trolley a la Millennium Dome?
    I think naming one of the poles in an Edinburgh pubic triangle go-go bar Boris the Liberator would be a fitting tribute.
    I am actually very familiar with the outside of those pubs - the Pubic Triangle also being the biggest concentration of secondhand bookshops in Edinburgh or indeed SE Scotland that I know of.
    There must be many punters in that locale who are familiar with the outside of those bookshops. :smile:
    Those pubs, and one or two similar-looking establishments on Lothian Road, happen to be very conveniently close to the Haymarket area - ie the main financial quarter, business meetings etc.
    I remember the days when a couple of pints and a stripper in the lunch hour was a totally acceptable part of the working day.

#thingswehavelost
    I remember going to the famous "Mighty Fine" in Pompey as a pink scrotumed midshipman and being entranced by the Sunday lunchtime scene. One of the strippers (very much on the 'Senior Tour') would gob in a punter's mouth for a fiver. Right next to some other bloke who'd be trenching away at his meat and two veg witn Yorkshires.

#thewaywewere
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    The whole argument the Govt put forward for legislating against extensions to the transition was that hard deadlines would force a deal and negotiations couldn’t drag on and on. If no deal happens then the entire strategy will have been proven to be b*ll*x. And once we pass Jan 1st all the incentive for getting a deal will have gone and the EU will just put it to the bottom of the in tray and get on with other things. And the U.K. can bleat about commencing new negotiations based on a new status quo as “sovereign equals” all they want, the EU will have just had enough and will only countenance any serious future negotiations that are unambiguously on their terms.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Scott_xP said:

Good job guys.

#thingswehavelost
    EU cultural oppression surely? Sunlit lunchtime uplands of cellulite reflected in dimpled pint mugs of brown ale await us.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,275
    alex_ said:

The whole argument the Govt put forward for legislating against extensions to the transition was that hard deadlines would force a deal and negotiations couldn’t drag on and on. If no deal happens then the entire strategy will have been proven to be b*ll*x. And once we pass Jan 1st all the incentive for getting a deal will have gone and the EU will just put it to the bottom of the in tray and get on with other things. And the U.K. can bleat about commencing new negotiations based on a new status quo as “sovereign equals” all they want, the EU will have just had enough and will only countenance any serious future negotiations that are unambiguously on their terms.

BoZo and Phil can raise a glass to "freedom" every time another factory closes...
This discussion has been closed.