Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

27 days to go until the end of the transition and punters remain confident that there’ll be a deal –

Comments

• Will we all have been vaccinated before Betfair settle the potus market?
  • I see some nations still want to have their ski season...

BBC News - France to impose border checks to stop skiing abroad
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55157175
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,021
    Starmer doing a good impression of TSE.
  • Foxy said:

Hard to see any Unionist being reassured by that poll. 12% is quite a gap to make up.
    I am quite relaxed about indy2 as if and when it is held I am confident the union will survive
  • I wouldn't say that before January.

A twelve point lead is more than enough if maintained though.
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

Sandpit said:

As I suggested yesterday, some on the EU side are starting to see positives in no-deal - which makes that outcome much more likely.

Some of us thought some time ago that this might be the case:

I'm struggling to see what incentive the EU actually has to do a deal before 1 Jan. Surely it would be better from their POV to let the UK dangle in the wind for a month or two before coming back to the table next year?

Ireland won't be happy if a deal doesn't happen year end. Also then gets the EU in trouble with Biden for breaking the GFA...
  • tlg86 said:

He's wearing outrageous footwear?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,519
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Wonder if / when we will see approval of the two other vaccines? Given moderna one is very similar to Pfizer, hopefully very shortly.

I don't think it's been submitted yet as we won't get deliveries of it until April at the earliest. The AZ vaccine has already begun being delivered so I think that's the current priority.
    According to the Leicester Mercury, the Pfizer vaccine is in Leicester, guarded by the military!

Maybe it's being guarded by the nags at the DATR?
  • tlg86 said:

He's wearing outrageous footwear?
    He's banging on about stepmums on ...?
  • Not sure where this "can they use Pfizer in care homes?" is coming from - it can be stored in a regular fridge for 5 days:

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,773

Foxy said:

Hard to see any Unionist being reassured by that poll. 12% is quite a gap to make up.
    I am quite relaxed about indy2 as if and when it is held I am confident the union will survive
    I think Scottish Independence is just a matter of time. The longer it is refused, the more bitter it will be.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,338
    Boris desperate to have an argument but SKS not really playing.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437

I suppose another advantage of using Pfizer vaccine next week on frontline NHS is if (hopefully) in a week or two we get AstraZenica approval then the NHS can take that into the care homes without the supercold storage needed and with NHS staff working on it having already had round one of their own dose.

Fingers crossed.

But even for Pfizer, you need 2 jabs, 3 weeks apart and then wait a week for it to be effective....so they won't be safe until after Christmas.
    Define safe?

Care homes get visitors including doctors, nurses etc on a daily basis. So an NHS vaccinator doesn't need to have two doses before going into the care home any more than the homes staff do.
    That's what the rapid tests are for, surely. Although there will no doubt be some leakage, the risk must be quite low to an individual.

One thing I'm not quite clear about is who 'care workers' actually are in the priority list. Does this include the army of people caring for their own relatives? I have to visit two sets daily so have been fully locked down throughout without the benefit of any testing.

• Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I think Scottish Independence is just a matter of time. The longer it is refused, the more bitter it will be.
    I do not believe it should be refused but I am confident the union will survive
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,930

Wonder if / when we will see approval of the two other vaccines? Given moderna one is very similar to Pfizer, hopefully very shortly.

Seems likely and probably before Christmas. I suspect most of the low risk population will receive the AZ vaccine from GPs in the new year.
  • TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    edited December 2020
    Looks like France could have problems getting everyone vaccinated, whenever they start. Seems 41% aren't interested in taking it. And Germany and Italy aren't much better, with about a third unwilling to vaccinate.

https://www.weforum.org/press/2020/08/three-in-four-adults-globally-say-they-d-get-a-vaccine-for-covid-19-but-is-this-enough
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,202

Sandpit said:

As I suggested yesterday, some on the EU side are starting to see positives in no-deal - which makes that outcome much more likely.

I'm struggling to see what incentive the EU actually has to do a deal before 1 Jan. Surely it would be better from their POV to let the UK dangle in the wind for a month or two before coming back to the table next year?

It depends what happens in those weeks.

Some are convinced the UK collapses into a quivering wreck desperate to make the bad Brexit go away.

I find that notion peculiar and unlikely.
    Collapse? Nah. In the short term I expect some nasty hiccups in supply lines until the invisible hand of the market has time to sort everything out & marginal import / export businesses are driven out of the system though.

Brexit inevitably makes import/export of goods into and out of the UK more costly. That cost will be absorbed by the market in time & things will settle into a “new normal” which matches the available capacity.

Some businesses will go to the wall as a result & others will find their inputs more expensive by varying amounts & the cost of exporting likewise. This is one of the prices of Brexit. The treasury study that was derided as “just part of project fear” by Leave pre-referendum will turn out to be roughly accurate I would imagine.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,023

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

From that ipsos mori poll - numbers look like they have potential to be quiet fluid. And we've not even started the debate on the practilities of it.
  • I suppose another advantage of using Pfizer vaccine next week on frontline NHS is if (hopefully) in a week or two we get AstraZenica approval then the NHS can take that into the care homes without the supercold storage needed and with NHS staff working on it having already had round one of their own dose.

Fingers crossed.

But even for Pfizer, you need 2 jabs, 3 weeks apart and then wait a week for it to be effective....so they won't be safe until after Christmas.
    Define safe?

Care homes get visitors including doctors, nurses etc on a daily basis. So an NHS vaccinator doesn't need to have two doses before going into the care home any more than the homes staff do.
    That's what the rapid tests are for, surely. Although there will no doubt be some leakage, the risk must be quite low to an individual.

One thing I'm not quite clear about is who 'care workers' actually are in the priority list. Does this include the army of people caring for their own relatives? I have to visit two sets daily so have been fully locked down throughout without the benefit of any testing.

Caring for relatives is very important and should be prioritised but is completely different to care homes.

A care home can have a hundred residents and a hundred staff in it so logistically getting a couple of hundred doses to that home should be reasonably achievable - and they will have nurses on site. Plus a single positive case can snowball once the virus is wild in the home to result in many dozens of infections and dozens of hospitalisations and deaths.

A solitary individual or couple looking after a solitary shielding individual or couple is not the same thing.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,577
    What is the Welsh government on about then?
    What on earth is Blackford talking about? People like me who earn too much to qualify for the payments given to the self employed? People who have still been in work and getting paid and not on furlough? Is that is the priority?
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

From that ipsos mori poll - numbers look like they have potential to be quiet fluid. And we've not even started the debate on the practilities of it.
    And the practicalities are the reasons I am confident the union will survive
  • eekeek Posts: 27,508

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

How - the SNP are successfully using everything to drive a wedge between Scotland and the rest of the UK - and doing a very fine job when doing so.
  • JonathanD said:

Sandpit said:

Ireland won't be happy if a deal doesn't happen year end. Also then gets the EU in trouble with Biden for breaking the GFA...
    How would the EU be breaking the GFA? The withdrawal agreement that the UK and EU signed in January expressly prevents the establishment of an internal Irish border in the event of no deal!
    DavidL said:

Boris desperate to have an argument but SKS not really playing.

Yes, it made Boris look a bit silly (not difficult, I know).
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,180
    RobD said:

Politicians chatting shite. Nothing new there.
  • eek said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

How - the SNP are successfully using everything to drive a wedge between Scotland and the rest of the UK - and doing a very fine job when doing so.
    And yet there are many reasons why the idea the SNP have won independence is far from certain
  • eek said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Nicola is an excellent asset to the SNP.

She comes across as calm, reassuring and reasonable even when she is the polar opposite.

Looks like France could have problems getting everyone vaccinated, whenever they start. Seems 41% aren't interested in taking it. And Germany and Italy aren't much better, with about a third unwilling to vaccinate.

Other countries may also struggle to vaccinate because of the decentralised and private nature of their health care systems. The NHS has very good databases for public health, via GP registration. The same is not true elsewhere.

For example, flu vaccination rates in target groups are about 70% in the UK, but less than 40% in Germany, and lower than 10% in some EU countries.

• "Captain Hindsight has become General Indecision".

Funny line and made me laugh but it was silly of Boris to use it today when he has unmitigated good news, that should have been used another time.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,577

"Captain Hindsight has become General Indecision".

Funny line and made me laugh but it was silly of Boris to use it today when he has unmitigated good news, that should have been used another time.

Captain to General in one step? He must have an impressive record.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437

I suppose another advantage of using Pfizer vaccine next week on frontline NHS is if (hopefully) in a week or two we get AstraZenica approval then the NHS can take that into the care homes without the supercold storage needed and with NHS staff working on it having already had round one of their own dose.

Fingers crossed.

Define safe?

Caring for relatives is very important and should be prioritised but is completely different to care homes.

A care home can have a hundred residents and a hundred staff in it so logistically getting a couple of hundred doses to that home should be reasonably achievable - and they will have nurses on site. Plus a single positive case can snowball once the virus is wild in the home to result in many dozens of infections and dozens of hospitalisations and deaths.

A solitary individual or couple looking after a solitary shielding individual or couple is not the same thing.
    I don't disagree re: care homes, they should clearly get priority.

It is the age list which, for example, might not include people aged 49 looking after two sets of parents who are all over 85 and need accompanying everywhere.

There's always going to be edge cases, though. The quicker we can get this done the better, then nobody will have reason to complain too much.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    RobD said:

Or seized power in a coup d’état and gave himself a promotion.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,382
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

To be fair, it can easily take over 6 hours to get anywhere in Wales :wink:
  • Looks like France could have problems getting everyone vaccinated, whenever they start. Seems 41% aren't interested in taking it. And Germany and Italy aren't much better, with about a third unwilling to vaccinate.

https://www.weforum.org/press/2020/08/three-in-four-adults-globally-say-they-d-get-a-vaccine-for-covid-19-but-is-this-enough

I can understand Russian's reluctance:

MOSCOW, November 30. /TASS/. About 20 people who were administered a first component of the Sputnik V vaccine against the coronavirus have contracted COVID-19, one of the organizers of clinical trials of the vaccine, Director of the Sechenov University’s Institute for Translational Medicine and Biotechnology Vadim Tarasov reported on Monday, specifying that it’s incorrect to link these cases directly to the vaccination since the infected didn’t have enough time to develop the sufficient protective immunity.

https://tass.com/society/1229459
    Selebian said:

MaxPB said:

RobD said:

To be fair, it can easily take over 6 hours to get anywhere in Wales :wink:
    Or a couple of centuries.
  • RobD said:

Major Indecision would have sounded better, been a more likely promotion, and have left space for Colonel and Brigadier jokes
  • "Captain Hindsight has become General Indecision".

It was a day for Johnson to be cheerful and ebullient. Like we hoped he would be. Especially since the LotO got him out of a massive hole yesterday. (Not that either of them is ever going to admit it).

That he couldn't do it is, unfortunately, the measure of the man. Worst sort of Oxford Union stuff.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    edited December 2020

Looks like France could have problems getting everyone vaccinated, whenever they start. Seems 41% aren't interested in taking it. ...

The thing about the French, which I came to understand when I Iived in France, is that they have this extraordinarily strong self-view that they are independent-minded and don't submit to authority, but in fact they are remarkably conformist, much more so than Brits. So if they're told to have the jab, which they'll probably have to do to get a job or take their children to school, they'll moan and have the jab.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,470

MaxPB said:

Fingers crossed.

The US government has got monopoly on deliveries of Moderna from December to March. From April it will be manufactured on licence in Switzerland and those initial deliveries will go to the Switzerland (15m) and the UK (7m).
    I understand the protectionism for US supply of it, but how come such a large delay before it is allowed to be made under licence?

I would have thought they would be keen to make as much as possible as fast as possible, especially if AZ is approved in EU and is 1/10 of the price.
    So far, I've been very disappointed with the (lack of) urgency from the EU and US. I mean the FDA doesn't even meet to approve the Pfizer jab until 10 Dec AIUI.

What exactly are they waiting for? Bloody slow coaches.
  • MaxPB said:

Fingers crossed.

The US government has got monopoly on deliveries of Moderna from December to March. From April it will be manufactured on licence in Switzerland and those initial deliveries will go to the Switzerland (15m) and the UK (7m).
    I understand the protectionism for US supply of it, but how come such a large delay before it is allowed to be made under licence?

I would have thought they would be keen to make as much as possible as fast as possible, especially if AZ is approved in EU and is 1/10 of the price.
    So far, I've been very disappointed with the (lack of) urgency from the EU and US. I mean the FDA doesn't even meet to approve the Pfizer jab until 10 Dec AIUI.

Its not as if there's a pandemic and reason for urgency is there?

Kudos to the MHRA for taking emergency authorisation as an emergency to deal with urgently.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,470
    Sandpit said:

That’s awesome. The logistics of getting this to everyone are insanely complex, can see why the military have been charged with it. I expect that, once the programme is underway, we will be seeing helicopters landing in car parks and sports fields

Yes, a very impressive start by Pfizer. Let's see how we go on...
  • MaxPB said:

Fingers crossed.

Are you sure that the FDA meeting isn't just a formal approval, with the staff already working on the data?
  • MaxPB said:

Fingers crossed.

Are you sure that the FDA meeting isn't just a formal approval, with the staff already working on the data?
    Why drag out a formal meeting for formal approval?

The moment the staff have completed working on the data the approval should be granted as swiftly as possible, not wait a week because that's the date pencilled into the diary.
  • Looks like France could have problems getting everyone vaccinated, whenever they start. Seems 41% aren't interested in taking it. And Germany and Italy aren't much better, with about a third unwilling to vaccinate.

I can understand Russian's reluctance:

MOSCOW, November 30. /TASS/. About 20 people who were administered a first component of the Sputnik V vaccine against the coronavirus have contracted COVID-19, one of the organizers of clinical trials of the vaccine, Director of the Sechenov University’s Institute for Translational Medicine and Biotechnology Vadim Tarasov reported on Monday, specifying that it’s incorrect to link these cases directly to the vaccination since the infected didn’t have enough time to develop the sufficient protective immunity.

https://tass.com/society/1229459
    Even in the UK there will almost certainly be a small number of individuals who contract the virus in spite of being vaccinated. The tabloid headlines write themselves. It's only a matter of time.
  • MaxPB said:

Fingers crossed.

Why drag out a formal meeting for formal approval?

The moment the staff have completed working on the data the approval should be granted as swiftly as possible, not wait a week because that's the date pencilled into the diary.
    I don't know enough about they work, but we're only talking about 8 days' time, so whilst it's not as fast as the UK MHRA has been, it still looks pretty damned fast.

MaxPB said:

Fingers crossed.

I doubt that the meeting would be for anything other than approval of the data. If our programme starts on the 7th, the US approves it three days later and starts their programme on the 14th, it's not a huge difference. It's the EMA that deserves the most criticism, if EU countries are going to take delivery from January then any delay is going to be very costly.
  • TOPPING said:
    What's he even done sporting wise this year?

The last major fight of his I remember was last year not this year. Though its been a very long year so I may have got that wrong.
  • TOPPING said:

The last major fight of his I remember was last year not this year. Though its been a very long year so I may have got that wrong.
    Beat Wilder in February

TOPPING said:

LOL what's he done this year? What indeed.
  • TOPPING said:

Beat Wilder in February
    February sure feels a year ago now. Fair enough.
    Note: Always wear a lightweight shell suit for your ring walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N786mCawx9s

• SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,377
    Damn Tyson Fury, don’t you know that people have been betting on you?
    Sandpit said:

Who do you think's been laying him...?
  • RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    edited December 2020

TOPPING said:

Beat Wilder in February
    February sure feels a year ago now. Fair enough.
    That night back in February was the last time I went out to a bar/nightclub late evening, then stayed up to watch that fight. I recall seeing a story about Northern Italy and it was dawning upon me that it was a possibility we may be in trouble in the UK. It definitely does feel like forever ago.
  • Dura_Ace said:

Undiplomatic diplomat (but he has a point):

https://twitter.com/GermanAmbUK/status/1334074827632746509?s=20

The German Ambassador better get used to it; this is who the English are now. Non-stop MEGA and the Butcher's Apron on everything.
    Does the "butcher's apron" thing really work when comparing us with Germany?
  • TOPPING said:

That was comprehensive, the towel really could have been thrown a couple of rounds earlier.

I thought that was from December for some reason. Probably because pre-March feels a lifetime ago now.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Fingers crossed.

I doubt that the meeting would be for anything other than approval of the data. If our programme starts on the 7th, the US approves it three days later and starts their programme on the 14th, it's not a huge difference. It's the EMA that deserves the most criticism, if EU countries are going to take delivery from January then any delay is going to be very costly.
    The question is, has the MRHA made a decision on inadequate data? The Swiss government seems to think so:

https://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/incomplete-data-stalls-swiss-authorisation-of-covid-19-vaccines/46196598#.X8dtof2Uab8.twitter

It does seem as if the fast track approval is via EU rules, not Brexit flexibility:

"Under EU rules, the Pfizer vaccine must be authorised by the EMA, but EU countries can use an emergency procedure that allows them to distribute a vaccine at home for temporary use. Britain is still subject to EU rules until it fully leaves the bloc at the end of the year."

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN28C1B9?__twitter_impression=true

There are risks in delay, but also in rushing. Let's hope that we didn't cut too many corners, not least because I am going to be getting it soon!
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Actually the point that Brexit has enabled us to approve and therefore roll out the vaccine slightly more quickly is a valid one. We have, ladies and gentlemen, found the first and almost certainly the last actual positive of Brexit.

You must know the last point is daft - the ability to make quicker decisions will manifest itself as a benefit many times in the future, on many issues.
    Really? Such as?
    You're only limited by your imagination.

If you can't think of any examples when making quick decisions can be a benefit then I think your imagination is weak. I've long argued for nimbleness and agility as a strength.
    The idea that the UK is going to be consistently nimble and agile is somewhat fanciful. We haven't exactly been nimble and agile in reforming taxation, or social care, or the NHS, or dealing with the decline of the High Street, or dealing with US mega-corporations abusing international tax rule, or setting up the computer systems and customs infrastructure for Brexit in 3 weeks time. And it certainly will never be nimble and agile under Boris - he's an even bigger ditherer than Brown.
    The UK won't be led by Boris Johnson forever, we hold elections every 4-5 years and if you want a change then you can change the government every 4-5 years (or sooner if no confidence etc happens).

If Starmer has a bright idea that can improve the country and he puts that forward rather than abstaining on it then the country can choose to vote for him easier than we can reform 28 nations of the EU.
    Not really, because so many things in the modern world involve negotiations with other countries. The EU speeds that up, not slows it down.
    But the EU doesn't always want what we want.
    We don't always want what 'we' want either.
    Much better just to agree to whatever the EU thinks it wants then?
    The EU is a polity. If we're part of it, then we're part of it. There's no us and them unless we leave.
    Nonsense, there is always us and them. There are layers of us and them. Atomisation exists at multiple levels.

Do you think that because they're part of the UK that Nicola Sturgeon is the same "us" as Boris Johnson?

Are you part of the same "us" as me?
    In this equation you are an individual voter, the UK is an amalgamation of all UK voters, and the EU is an amalgamation of all EU voters. It's perfectly possible that what you want is more aligned with the collective EU than with the collective UK.
    Its possible but not true on average since your vote is greatly watered down by the 27 other nations in Europe, whereas on average across the UK your vote counts much, much more.
    Yes but the majority of British voters are not Conservatives. It is reasonable to say that the Lab, LD, SNP, Green, SF and PC parties are in aggregate the majority and more aligned with the EU polity.

Certainly, I am.
    Tories got 47.2% of the English vote, that's good enough for a majority as far as I'm concerned.

Adding up a rainbow doesn't make them the same colour.
    'Adding up a rainbow doesn't make the same colour?'.

Yes of course it does! Time for elevenses. take a break!
    No it makes a new different colour.
    ROYGBIV=W
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,390
    edited December 2020
    Sandpit said:

My guessing it is really is about last time he was up for it, there was a big focus on stuff written about him in regards to his views on homosexuality vs his religious beliefs and last time it also descending into accusations of him being sexist etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35031110
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,262

You think it a joke of such quality that to use it for anything other than digging himself out of big trouble was a dreadful waste?
  • Sandpit said:

My guessing it is really is about last time he was up for it, there was a big focus on stuff written about him in regards to his views on homosexuality vs his religious beliefs and last time it also descending into accusations of him being sexist etc.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35031110
    The good news is it gives the BBC space to draft Marcus Rashford. :wink:
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,262
    The Fury fight does feel like last year. I suppose it's the BC/AC effect.

I'm sure Greens, Lib Dems and tree huggers will be delighted:

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1333897692297261058?s=20

They're certainly getting their PR in better shape since Dom got the boot.
    edited December 2020
    Is it? Or it is all.just part of the pantomime? This morning we also had all the briefings that the EU nations thought Mr Barnier was being far too nice to the UK and he must prove to them he is still being tough.
  • Roger said:

Roger said:

Foxy said:

Actually the point that Brexit has enabled us to approve and therefore roll out the vaccine slightly more quickly is a valid one. We have, ladies and gentlemen, found the first and almost certainly the last actual positive of Brexit.

You must know the last point is daft - the ability to make quicker decisions will manifest itself as a benefit many times in the future, on many issues.
    Really? Such as?
    You're only limited by your imagination.

If you can't think of any examples when making quick decisions can be a benefit then I think your imagination is weak. I've long argued for nimbleness and agility as a strength.
    The idea that the UK is going to be consistently nimble and agile is somewhat fanciful. We haven't exactly been nimble and agile in reforming taxation, or social care, or the NHS, or dealing with the decline of the High Street, or dealing with US mega-corporations abusing international tax rule, or setting up the computer systems and customs infrastructure for Brexit in 3 weeks time. And it certainly will never be nimble and agile under Boris - he's an even bigger ditherer than Brown.
    The UK won't be led by Boris Johnson forever, we hold elections every 4-5 years and if you want a change then you can change the government every 4-5 years (or sooner if no confidence etc happens).

If Starmer has a bright idea that can improve the country and he puts that forward rather than abstaining on it then the country can choose to vote for him easier than we can reform 28 nations of the EU.
    Not really, because so many things in the modern world involve negotiations with other countries. The EU speeds that up, not slows it down.
    But the EU doesn't always want what we want.
    We don't always want what 'we' want either.
    Much better just to agree to whatever the EU thinks it wants then?
    The EU is a polity. If we're part of it, then we're part of it. There's no us and them unless we leave.
    Nonsense, there is always us and them. There are layers of us and them. Atomisation exists at multiple levels.

Do you think that because they're part of the UK that Nicola Sturgeon is the same "us" as Boris Johnson?

Are you part of the same "us" as me?
    In this equation you are an individual voter, the UK is an amalgamation of all UK voters, and the EU is an amalgamation of all EU voters. It's perfectly possible that what you want is more aligned with the collective EU than with the collective UK.
    Its possible but not true on average since your vote is greatly watered down by the 27 other nations in Europe, whereas on average across the UK your vote counts much, much more.
    Yes but the majority of British voters are not Conservatives. It is reasonable to say that the Lab, LD, SNP, Green, SF and PC parties are in aggregate the majority and more aligned with the EU polity.

Certainly, I am.
    Tories got 47.2% of the English vote, that's good enough for a majority as far as I'm concerned.

Adding up a rainbow doesn't make them the same colour.
    'Adding up a rainbow doesn't make the same colour?'.

Yes of course it does! Time for elevenses. take a break!
    No it makes a new different colour.
    ROYGBIV=W
    Yes but

R != W
    O != W
    Y != W

etc

Saying they're the same is like saying if someone votes for hot and someone else voted for cold then the two together voted for lukewarm.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

Neither Green, nor Lib Dem, nor tree hugger.
    But I, too, think this is a good thing.
  • https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2020/12/01/googles-grip-deepmind-will-cost-uk-taxpayers-tens-billions

What this article fails to mention is DeepMinds can only do what it does because it gets special access to draw on massive % of the whole network of Google compute power. Google at times literally shutters off parts of their own work to allow Deepminds to run experiments across vast numbers of servers.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,962
    Toby and Yeadon are swinging to full-on antivax.
    Their latest is to call for the vaccine studies to be suspended, all data to be thrown out, and to blow up misinformation about antivaxxer fears.

At this point I think they should lock these arseholes up. Let them experience a real curtailment of liberty. They're now actively taking steps to get people killed.
  • Is it? Or it is all.just part of the pantomime? This morning we also had all the briefings that the EU nations thought Mr Barnier was being far too nice to the UK and he must prove to them he is still being tough.
    I'm sure something could be cobbled together with regard to fishing, but it is very hard to see how there can be an agreement that satisfies both sides on LPF and governance.
  • Toby and Yeadon are swinging to full-on antivax.
    Their latest is to call for the vaccine studies to be suspended, all data to be thrown out, and to blow up misinformation about antivaxxer fears.

At this point I think they should lock these arseholes up. Let them experience a real curtailment of liberty. They're now actively taking steps to get people killed.

Saw that coming 🙄

What are those idiots saying now?

So they're saying no to lockdowns and no to vaccines. Wtf is wrong with them.

Is it? Or it is all.just part of the pantomime? This morning we also had all the briefings that the EU nations thought Mr Barnier was being far too nice to the UK and he must prove to them he is still being tough.
    Oh no it isn't! It's behind him! etc

But this panto is coming to the end of its run.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,902
    AIUI the Clauses themselves do not breach international law...

Barnier being a little philosophical, I suggest.
  • MaxPB said:

Wherever we stand otherwise, I think pretty much all of us on this forum can agree that these people are utter loons.

TOPPING said:

That was comprehensive, the towel really could have been thrown a couple of rounds earlier.

I thought that was from December for some reason. Probably because pre-March feels a lifetime ago now.
    You're right. There is "now" and everything else is a blur.

I mean, I can see why Toby will be catering to the antivaxxers. You don't have to be an antivaxxer to follow him and believe him, but if you are an antivaxxer, he's the only game in town for you. And I suppose a chunk of his donations are from antivaxxers, so he has to give them what they want to see.

Utterly fucking contemptible, though.
    You're far too nice about it.
    edited December 2020
    MaxPB said:

Its a good job in a way for the government he didn't get the schools role in the end, imagine what damage his anti-lockdown / anti-vax stance would be having. Instead luckily now he is really only a fringe public figure.
  • Toby and Yeadon are swinging to full-on antivax.

Somebody should say Toby Young and Yeadon are supporters of the Real IRA and we can intern for years.

Totally unrelated does anyone have the phone number for Special Branch?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273
    edited December 2020
    MaxPB said:

And no to masks, social distancing, etc.

It's almost as if they want everyone to catch Covid so their herd immunity theories can be fulfilled.
    dixiedean said:

The lobbyists will find something else do demand, I am sure.
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You're right. There is "now" and everything else is a blur.
    Yes, even Broady's efforts in the summer seem years ago, let alone something in February.

Of course this list should have been dominated by our new Olympic champions. :-(
  • Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

15 straight polls for Yes = quiet (sic) fluid? I'd like to see what you'd consider was violent electoral volatility.

Unionism 2014: Yes was only ever ahead in 2 polls and the result was quite comfortable in the end.

Unionism 2020: Yes ahead in 15 polls means that it's all to play for, if there was the slightest chance of Scots being allowed to decide.

What's the opposite of evolution? Regression?
    dixiedean said:

Are they banning the movement of all livestock? Surely not. The rules on transporting live animals is already very strict and the EU welfare standards high.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,962

Saw that coming 🙄

What are those idiots saying now?
    - Suspend the studies immediately because the efficacy will be based on FALSE POSITIVES and throw out all the data because of FALSE POSITIVES
    - What about Antibody Dependent Enhancement? [Because obviously no-one's thought of that or run lengthy Phase 3 studies]
    - Spike proteins could make you INFERTILE!! [so what about people who've been infected with the actual virus?]
    - Many people could get fatal allergic reactions to it! 70% of people get antibodies to polyethylene glycol which is in the Pfizer one! [Yet, somehow, no-one in the tens of thousands in the safety studies had an issue]
    - It's all happened too fast and what about long-term effects! [Where all the genuine experts reckon that virtually all adverse effects happen within hours or days so any long-term problems would be incredibly unlikely]

Stoking all the fears of the antivaxxers. I'm genuinely now of the belief that these disgusting excuses for human beings should be jailed.
    Is this jab IV or subcutaneous?

I have not heard.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    edited December 2020
    BioNtech chap interviewed on R4 - the U.K. has as robust processes as the EUMA in assessing the vaccine - citing a specific U.K. regulation that enabled it to move more quickly. This was in response to EUMA comments that their process was “more thorough” than the U.K.

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1334127019299385344?s=20
  • eek said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Tbf they couldn't have done it without u-know-who.
  • I'm sure Greens, Lib Dems and tree huggers will be delighted:

As a vegetarian (and occasional sandal-wearing) Lib Dem, I'm very pleased with that. I'm a bit curious about the details though. If live animals can't be transported, how can they be sent for slaughter? Will animals have to be slaughtered at the farm where they are reared?
This discussion has been closed.