Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

From Ipsos-MORI: How the pandemic is changing everyday life – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    HYUFD said:

It is a move in the right direction, it can be reviewed at a later stage, same with LPF, that seems to be where we are heading, Cummings going and Cain going and replaced by an Osborne aide confirms it
    Being in charge of 18% of our own fish is not something to be sneered at - and yet many will.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    edited November 2020
    Are there any previous polls on how many people normally shower every morning? I never have...

EDIT: Showered every morning that is. Not 'I never have showered'.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

It is a move in the right direction, it can be reviewed at a later stage, same with LPF, that seems to be where we are heading, Cummings going and Cain going and replaced by an Osborne aide confirms it
    Being in charge of 18% of our own fish is not something to be sneered at - and yet many will.
    Some will sneer at anything less than bricking up the Channel Tunnel, there will always be diehards
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2020
    DavidL said:

Looks like the EU has blinked though. And "controlling" our waters is not incompatible with letting other people fish in them.

#bringonthedeal
    It'll be interesting to see what we'll be offering in return.

I think the attention on fishing is something of a red herring. I doubt that it's something the EU is prepared to die in a ditch for, notwithstanding the protests of French and Spanish fishermen. No, they are using it primarily as a negotiating tool and, knowing how politically important it is for the British, to give Boris something he can use to declare victory at home.

Where they won't bend, though, is on governance and the level playing field. These are critical to the integrity of the EU. Unless the British accept these (using the fish as cover), there will be no deal.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Looks like the EU has blinked though. And "controlling" our waters is not incompatible with letting other people fish in them.

#bringonthedeal
    Under the proposal does the EU not retain around 85% of "our fish"? If so, i'm not sure the head bangers are going to like that.
    No, they won't bloke it at all.
    Though a simple "weight of people" version of democratic sovereignty implies about that ratio of UK concessions: EU concessions.
    I'm not saying that's a good thing, but the realpolitik is understandable.

Barnier isn't making it easy for Boris, but how (and why) should he?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,652
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

Rather stretching the definition of "Rigging" here
    https://twitter.com/PrisonPlanet/status/1332280332268294147

Yes indeed. I know that gerrymandering has become a little broader than its original use in some quarters, but the threshold of rigging really needs to be narrower than that or every election will end up rigged.

Oh, I see the plan now.
    Couple of good Politico articles on that theme.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/11/25/did-american-democracy-really-hold-maybe-not-440595

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/11/24/michigan-election-trump-voter-fraud-democracy-440475
  • Options
    edited November 2020

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

I think the attention on fishing is something of a red herring. I doubt that it's something the EU is prepared to die in a ditch for, notwithstanding the protests of French and Spanish fishermen. No, they are using it primarily as a negotiating tool and, knowing how politically important it is for the British, to give Boris something he can use to declare victory at home.

Where they won't bend, though, is on governance and the level playing field. These are critical to the integrity of the EU. Unless the British accept these (using the fish as cover), there will be no deal.
    Boris will accept that, hence Cummings and Cain departed in protest to be replaced by an Osborne aide and Sunak cut overseas aid to throw a bone to the right, it has all basically been agreed in my view with fishing and LPF to be reviewed later
  • Options
    Drakeford admits that following the fire break the R rate is now 1.4 as people did not continue to observe covid rules

For those of you who read my posts I have been saying this since the day the fire break ended and that Drakeford boxed himself into a corner when saying he would not repeat the fire break but is now forced into stricter measures Wales wide. (no talk tiers)

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    edited November 2020

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal
    Under the proposal does the EU not retain around 85% of "our fish"? If so, i'm not sure the head bangers are going to like that.
    No, it's 85% of the proportion of 'our' fish that they already take.

But you are right about the head-bangers. They won't like anything, irrespective of the content. They just want to destroy any possibility of a vaguely sane outcome.
    I wonder what all those constituencies who deeply care about fishing will think of that proposal. @HYUFD - I'm sure you have a deep understanding of their wishes and concerns - thoughts?
    edit: can't do maths. :D
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I like to think that my Lords Cricket hat makes quite a statement when wandering around the village of an evening getting my steps. I see many look at it in what can surely only be admiration.

I do hope you mean one of these caps

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Local authority elections are usually just local and you can't rule out, well, local factors, but it is not immediately obvious to me in the 2 most recent by elections that the surge we are apparently seeing in support for the SNP in the polls is being reflected in actual results.

There is also some evidence that the raising of the temperature on Indyref 2 (#voteharder) is focusing the minds of some unionists resulting in an increasing efficiency in the Unionist vote. May may prove to be not quite as depressing as I feared.

Opinium on Sunday had the SNP on 48% and the Tories on 27% in their subsample, I think the SNP summer surge is fading and as Sturgeon pushes indyref2 further Unionists are responding by voting tactically for the best Unionist party to beat the SNP as this week's Perth by election and last week's Clackmannanshire by election confirm
    I think the ever more obvious internecine warfare in the SNP is not helping them. Good.
    Could they kindly ramp it up then please?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I think like a lot of people I started out as Covid WFH = holiday. No shaving, shorts and a t-shirt, not really paying attention to work as much as I should have been, etc.

That lasted about two weeks. After that the novelty wore off plus I realised my head was in a sub-optimal place for work. Now I shave every day, properly dressed every day, not a suit, but put on a shirt, always use video on my zooms/teams/webex calls. Feel much better for it.

If you're retired, however, (large PB contingent) then no idea how it would work.

That's the way it should be. Hats off. Literally, because with your hair sorted you don't have to wear one.
    I get the hair thing but I'm not 100% sure you should be wearing any kind of head covering in London after age 28yrs.
    Hats are making a comeback! Not much of one, but I see more people than just myself wearing hats in the last few years.

Type of hat is pretty vital though.
    Abso-bloody-lutely.
    A Panama is acceptable in the summer.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

I think like a lot of people I started out as Covid WFH = holiday. No shaving, shorts and a t-shirt, not really paying attention to work as much as I should have been, etc.

That lasted about two weeks. After that the novelty wore off plus I realised my head was in a sub-optimal place for work. Now I shave every day, properly dressed every day, not a suit, but put on a shirt, always use video on my zooms/teams/webex calls. Feel much better for it.

If you're retired, however, (large PB contingent) then no idea how it would work.

That's the way it should be. Hats off. Literally, because with your hair sorted you don't have to wear one.
    I get the hair thing but I'm not 100% sure you should be wearing any kind of head covering in London after age 28yrs.
    Hats are making a comeback! Not much of one, but I see more people than just myself wearing hats in the last few years.

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    I don't think it is
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Nigelb said:

stjohn said:

On the Oxford vaccine. My view is that if it is at least 60% effective at stopping people getting coronavirus infection and is 100% effective at preventing serious illness as a result of coronavirus infection, then that is a tremendous result and we should be getting on with using it as soon as possible. The half dose/full dose v full dose/full dose conundrum needs resolving but it would seem to be a mistake not to start using a safe and effective vaccine as soon as is feasibly possible.

The article from "Wired" that criticised the Oxford vaccine had one sentence which is concerning. "Oxford-AstraZeneca reported only the results for certain subgroups of people within each one. (For perspective on this: The two subgroups chosen leave out perhaps half the people in the Brazilian trial.)" Is this true and if so is there a reassuring explanation for this? Can anyone here shed light on that part of the article? The sooner the Oxford trial data are published in The Lancet, or wherever, the better.

No regulatory submission will leave out subgroups.
    I am not sure what the Wired article refers to, though.

Apart from efficacy, the other issue is, of course, safety data.
    AZ was running trials in UK, Brazil, South Africa and America. I think the author of the Wired piece was claiming that only info from the UK and Brazilian trials were reported in the press release.

I linked to a piece last night that reported Oxford will announce more data next week.
    Bit difficult to report data form another trial which is still blinded ?
    And still recruiting.
  • Options
    On topic, why is there no question asking women if they have gone unshaven for more days than usual? Disgustingly genderist imo.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Equally, it's not something to fight to the death over. As we have been doing.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

The clear reality is that the LPF stuff is for the birds for the next 5 years at a minimum as every government inside and outside the EU will desperately trying to protect and create jobs as we recover from the virus. The general principle of LPF is practically a British idea and I think we policed it more vigorously than pretty much anywhere else for a long time.

So we need to square the circle of being in extraordinary times where huge government support is the norm, a desire on both parties to return to something like normal and a mutually enforceable obligation to restore such standards on a bilateral basis. The wording will undoubtedly be tricky but we have as much of an interest in not allowing Hungary to bribe JLR into building their next plant there as the EU does with supposedly unfair competition from the UK. We need independent arbitration (not CJE) and clear definitions of what does and doesn't come within it along with a get out of jail free card for both sides for the next several years. It's doable or, at a push, parkable.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    edited November 2020

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    I don't think it is
    Autres pays, autres moeurs. Probably best avoided in parts of England which are North of Gretna.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020

Drakeford admits that following the fire break the R rate is now 1.4 as people did not continue to observe covid rules

For those of you who read my posts I have been saying this since the day the fire break ended and that Drakeford boxed himself into a corner when saying he would not repeat the fire break but is now forced into stricter measures Wales wide. (no talk tiers)

So thats 2 for 2 on circuit breaker failures.....some of us did say....Captain Hindsight of course has now moved onto to something else and his big primetime demands will be quietly forgotten.

And who knew going from lockdown striaght to low levels of restrictions country wide was problematic....oh wait we all did, because thats how we exitted lockdown in spring.
  • Options
    Looks like a live negotiation going on over fish.

Barnier must know this isn't enough. The EU was asking for essentially no change and the British 60%+ of the catch - so the clear landing zone is in the 30-40% zone. 15-18% won't cut it so I presume it's first offer anchoring:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1332296730193371136?s=19
  • Options

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    I don't think it is
    And what is, in your view ?
  • Options
    Current Betfair prices:-

Biden 1.06
    Democrats 1.06
    Biden PV 1.04
    Biden PV 49-51.9% 1.05
    Trump PV 46-48.9% 1.06
    Trump ECV 210-239 1.1
    Biden ECV 300-329 1.09
    Biden ECV Hcap -48.5 1.06
    Biden ECV Hcap -63.5 1.08
    Trump ECV Hcap +81.5 1.02

AZ Dem 1.06
    GA Dem 1.06
    MI Dem 1.06
    NV Dem 1.04
    PA Dem 1.06
    WI Dem 1.07

Trump to leave before end of term NO 1.11
    Trump exit date 2021 1.08
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Surely everyone should wear full evening dress* and a... top hat**.. when on an audio call. To give proper formality to the occasion.

*If in a particularly remote spot - say the Serengeti - a short jacket might be allowed.
    **ladies as well. No sexism here.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,331
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Hmm. Not sure that statement fits your profile pic very well 🤔🧐
    LOL true I did say in London though!!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

A traditionalist. Which is great. We need a few. Things go to pot otherwise. But you'll be pleased to know I usually wear a proper sturdy tweed cap not a scruffy baseball. The very opposite to the accusation of cravat from @Stocky who has got things badly wrong on this one.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    I like to think that my Lords Cricket hat makes quite a statement when wandering around the village of an evening getting my steps. I see many look at it in what can surely only be admiration.
    It is admiration.
  • Options

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

But contrary to what 90%+ of the commentary says both the EU and UK are bending all the time.

It's a negotiation.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Winning here!
  • Options

Without being harsh on anyone, and Boris and others also need to bear it in mind, politicians and officials need to be careful saying (or appearing to say) they definitely won't do something, as whether result of failure or some inevitability, it might be you do need to repeat something however unpalatable it was. If you swear you won't do it again, implying even if the situation that caused it is repeated you won't, you are outright admitting it was a gimmick.
  • Options

DavidL said:

No, sadly not, its just a plain white one. Quite dashing though, despite what my children say.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal
    Could have sworn this was a Thompson - but no!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

A traditionalist. Which is great. We need a few. Things go to pot otherwise. But you'll be pleased to know I usually wear a proper sturdy tweed cap not a scruffy baseball. The very opposite to the accusation of cravat from @Stocky who has got things badly wrong on this one.
    Tweed cap in Hampstead. Uh-huh.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Surely everyone should wear full evening dress* and a... top hat**.. when on an audio call. To give proper formality to the occasion.

*If in a particularly remote spot - say the Serengeti - a short jacket might be allowed.
    **ladies as well. No sexism here.
    In the first lockdown my wife and I took part in a Zoom virtual livery dinner in full evening dress. We figured it was an experience available neither in the future nor in the past.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Quality is rather important too. My favourite one's made from rabbit fur.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

No, sadly not, its just a plain white one. Quite dashing though, despite what my children say.
    Sounds like a reduction in inheritance may be on the cards if they keep that up, little blighters.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    edited November 2020
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    I don't think it is
    In Britain?

A kippah, turban, or other religious headware are the only acceptable male "hats" in the summer.

In the winter you can get away with a bobble hat of course.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal
    This will have publicly leaked for a reason. And my guess is anchoring.

The EU will want to settle in the 25-30 range rather than the 35-40 range.

Having said that not all fishing grounds are created equal - it be the UK is more generous to the French in the Channel in exchange for a massive increase in quotas of catches off the east coast of Scotland.

That would accord with the political objectives of both.
  • Options
    I also grew a lockdown beard. Tend to go beard when events happening in my life - on paternity leave, got fired, lockdown. As always realised it doesn't suit me and shaved. The revelation of lockdown was shaving my arms and legs...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    I don't think it is
    Autres pays, autres moeurs. Probably best avoided in parts of England which are North of Gretna.
    Galloway's journey rightwards may inspire him to take up the Panama on his forays to his house in the borders, although should deffo drop the cowboy boots imo.

• Options
    As for dressing for work, have never stopped wearing a decent shirt - far too many Zoom meetings. Though I will admit that my suit is a squeeze at the moment. Sertraline has meant that whilst I am still depressed I am no longer mad - unfortunately it has also made me gain about 10kgs...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

Boris will accept that, hence Cummings and Cain departed in protest to be replaced by an Osborne aide and Sunak cut overseas aid to throw a bone to the right, it has all basically been agreed in my view with fishing and LPF to be reviewed later
    I think that could be right. With LPF they could set up some kind of committee to monitor things with the power to issue sanctions or even pull the plug if Britain is seen to be taking the piss in the coming years - 'sovereignty' will then technically be preserved but future British governments will know they could never realistically step out of line. It's also good to see that the sagacious influence of Ozzy, the boy wonder, has returned to rescue us, albeit indirectly through a disciple.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

I can certainly relate to these surveys. They ring true. I used to have 2 baths a day, now I only have one and that's at night. Used to wash my hair every 2 days, now it's once a week, on Saturday, ditto for shaving, used to be every couple of days, now just on Saturday. Saturday is when it all happens, hair washed, face shaved, one or two other things too which needn't trouble us. And an interesting knock on effect is that when I go out in the day I now always wear a cap - since hair a mess with no morning routine - whereas before I would hardly ever do that. Essentially I look a bit dodgy a lot of the time, and I do realize this, so I hope once I've been vaccinated I'll be able to shake off these bad Covid era habits and get back to what I once was - a preppy, fresh faced (and smelling) character who you'd love to run into.

Yes, I haven't worn a suit since March, indeed have been wearing casual clothes until changed into scrubs at work. I look forward to when I can return to sartorial splendor. I like to dress well, though it is pretty much exclusively women who comment on such things.

I shower and wash my hair everyday and am clean shaven, not least because it is needed for wearing FFP3 masks.
    I think it's true that letting small things slide can over time jeopardize the bigger ones. In fact I need to buck up.

Have you managed to dodge your wife's corona btw?
    Yes, at times I wondered if I was developing it, but never did. I have tested negative, but have to isolate until Tuesday still. Getting a bit bored of it now, and I get how difficult some people found lockdown. It is a novelty to me, having worked right through.

It is hard to understand how I have dodged it, as I have shared a living room and kitchen, though slept in the spare room. I must have been exposed. Whether Zinc and vitamins did it, or whether I have some immunity or just the luck of the devil, I don't know.
    Well that's good anyway. And what about her? Just a bit off or quite sick?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    I don't think it is
    In Britain?

A kippah, turban, or other religious headware are the only acceptable male "hats" in the summer.

I mean we're talking non-event hats absolutely. Events (Ascot, Goodwood, Cheltenham, Henley, some other events, etc) then hats are, literally, de rigeur.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    New Covid rules for Wales will see cinemas, bowling alleys and indoor entertainment venues shut next week, the Welsh government has announced. First Minister Mark Drakeford said details on new rules for pubs and restaurants, which will also come into force next Friday, are still being worked out.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal
    True.

So it seems to be: 1) yes you can fish in our territorial waters on condition that 2) we get a percentage of the value of the spoils.

Does that sum it up?

As long as we have the option - just the option - to turn off 1) when we like, then I think Johnson will get away with this (re: squaring it with leave voters and his MPs).

It does raise a question though: how do we monitor the value of their catch?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932

HYUFD said:
    Winning here!
    For the record the figures were SNP 1898, LD 1823, Con 1698, Lab 204, Gre 135, Ukip 18. The crucial change was that the Lib Dem came a close second.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Call it a bunnet for maximum Caledonian street cred.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,013

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Local authority elections are usually just local and you can't rule out, well, local factors, but it is not immediately obvious to me in the 2 most recent by elections that the surge we are apparently seeing in support for the SNP in the polls is being reflected in actual results.

There is also some evidence that the raising of the temperature on Indyref 2 (#voteharder) is focusing the minds of some unionists resulting in an increasing efficiency in the Unionist vote. May may prove to be not quite as depressing as I feared.

Opinium on Sunday had the SNP on 48% and the Tories on 27% in their subsample, I think the SNP summer surge is fading and as Sturgeon pushes indyref2 further Unionists are responding by voting tactically for the best Unionist party to beat the SNP as this week's Perth by election and last week's Clackmannanshire by election confirm

Subsample Alert

There was a time when a blue and white siren went off in Mike's office when such matters were raised, resulting in countermeasures.

Just ask Stuart Dickson.
  • Options

New Covid rules for Wales will see cinemas, bowling alleys and indoor entertainment venues shut next week, the Welsh government has announced. First Minister Mark Drakeford said details on new rules for pubs and restaurants, which will also come into force next Friday, are still being worked out.

Drakeford made the basic mistake of saying that the one fire break would reset covid and he would not repeat it

Today he is contradicting his promise
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    SNP hold Perth City North with 61% of the vote.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,013
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

English cricket caps are popular in Scotland?

I must say I'm surprised.
  • Options

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

Having said that not all fishing grounds are created equal - it be the UK is more generous to the French in the Channel in exchange for a massive increase in quotas of catches off the east coast of Scotland.

My guess is that he has been putting pressure on the Fishing Ministers to compromise to get a deal and needs to ramp that pressure up a bit. But its always good tactics to make it clear how hard you are having to work to get your client to go even this far and to anchor expectations in that way.

The problem for Barnier is that this is the one area where we literally do have all the cards. We can ban all EU fishing in our waters if we want and there is nothing they can do about it. That would be the consequence of no deal.

The question is what price we are willing to accept for not doing that. Of course the balance of power is very much the other way around in other areas, hence the trade offs. I just wish they would stop mucking about and cut a deal.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    What is stupid about the Welsh situation is the moron in charge has boxed himself in saying no local tier type system, when Wales really is an example of somewhere where a) they have a couple of very localised hotspots that they aren't managed to get under control with the messing about and b) unlike most of England because of road network and some other factors mobility between north and south is low and also big differences in density between that m5 corridor and elsewhere...making idea of localising seem a much better idea than trying to do so for instance in North of England.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    I don't think it is
    In Britain?

I refuse to carry a parasol.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Whatever deal with the EU is eventually made it is nailed on guaranteed that that the die in the ditchers on both sides will be dying in their ditches again as they rage against the machine - evreyone else will quietly shrug and move on.
  • Options
    slade said:

What did they have the last time?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

My guess is that he has been putting pressure on the Fishing Ministers to compromise to get a deal and needs to ramp that pressure up a bit. But its always good tactics to make it clear how hard you are having to work to get your client to go even this far and to anchor expectations in that way.

The problem for Barnier is that this is the one area where we literally do have all the cards. We can ban all EU fishing in our waters if we want and there is nothing they can do about it. That would be the consequence of no deal.

The question is what price we are willing to accept for not doing that. Of course the balance of power is very much the other way around in other areas, hence the trade offs. I just wish they would stop mucking about and cut a deal.
    Well, we don't have all of them since in such a scenario we wouldn't be able to easily sell our fish into the EU market - but the advantage does lie with the UK, yes.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    I don't think it is
    In Britain?

I mean we're talking non-event hats absolutely. Events (Ascot, Goodwood, Cheltenham, Henley, some other events, etc) then hats are, literally, de rigeur.
    Every day is an event if you try hard enough.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal
    True.

So it seems to be: 1) yes you can fish in our territorial waters on condition that 2) we get a percentage of the value of the spoils.

Does that sum it up?

As long as we have the option - just the option - to turn off 1) when we like, then I think Johnson will get away with this (re: squaring it with leave voters and his MPs).

I've said before the condition I would like to see is that all catches in UK waters have to be landed and processed in the UK. There are far, far more jobs in onshore fish processing than there is in fishing itself. And the question of monitoring would then resolve itself.
  • Options
    If Boris gets a deal it'll be interesting to see how Princess Nut Nut handles the PR. My guess is we'll see footage of jubilant, briny trawlerman types cracking champers on the quayside at Padstow/Peterhead.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    slade said:

That was their safe seat and it only had half the turnout of the marginal seat Perth City South the SNP have just lost to the LDs
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Here is the science deal

https://tinyurl.com/y5yd2nfd

Notice even Remainers like Vivienne Stern say "Now, even we think that doesn’t look fair, and we’ve been saying to our European counterparts."

Vivienne Stern spent 2 years bleating that No Deal would be hugely damaging -- and now she has her deal, she has discovered she does not like it. Her European friends are not ... errr ... really friends.

It is a hugely exploitative deal.

In my opinion, it is way better for UK science not to accept this deal, but to use the money to support .... err .... science in the UK.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

But contrary to what 90%+ of the commentary says both the EU and UK are bending all the time.

It's a negotiation.
    No you don't get it CR, the UK is capitulating everyday and when the EU concedes it's staged and expected.

These 5th columnists want our nation to fail. Their allegiance isn't to the UK.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Drakeford made the basic mistake of saying that the one fire break would reset covid and he would not repeat it

Today he is contradicting his promise
    He is still trying to spin that it worked, but I doubt he will get called out on it...and of course NI are back into circuit breaker #2 today.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Subsample Alert

There was a time when a blue and white siren went off in Mike's office when such matters were raised, resulting in countermeasures.

Just ask Stuart Dickson.
    You can mention subsamples as long as you say they are subsamples, TSE has confirmed that
  • Options
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    I don't think it is
    In Britain?

I will wear a hat to keep the sun off my bald patch: I don’t fancy sunburn there.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    DavidL said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal
    True.

Does that sum it up?

I've said before the condition I would like to see is that all catches in UK waters have to be landed and processed in the UK. There are far, far more jobs in onshore fish processing than there is in fishing itself. And the question of monitoring would then resolve itself.
    Ok - agreed - so it becomes: 1) yes you can fish in our territorial waters on condition that 2) we get a percentage of the value of the spoils and 3) all catches are processed in the UK.

Let`s compare that with what is agreed. My money is on the deal being worse than that from a UK perspective.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

It's not really one sided. Afaicr the UK exports c.50% of its catch to the EU, hence a more frequent No deal sceptic tone from fishing leaders, even the east coast 'British fish for British boats' lads.
  • Options
    24 hours there
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

It's a negotiation.
    No you don't get it CR, the UK is capitulating everyday and when the EU concedes it's staged and expected.

These 5th columnists want our nation to fail. Their allegiance isn't to the UK.
    How very puerile.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

Looks like a live negotiation going on over fish.

Barnier must know this isn't enough. The EU was asking for essentially no change and the British 60%+ of the catch - so the clear landing zone is in the 30-40% zone. 15-18% won't cut it so I presume it's first offer anchoring:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1332296730193371136?s=19

Restoring the quota to the UK doesn't necessarily change very much in practice if non-UK vessels can still fish under UK quotas.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    RH1992 said:

Apparently there has been a 59% drop in Thanksgiving travel in the US.

But with 41% of travel still happening it'll be interesting to see what impact this has over the next couple of weeks, as it's essentially going to look like a dry run for Christmas with us.
    Oh yes, Americans have all been on the move this week. Even if it’s a lot less than usual, it’s still tens of millions of people travelling.

There will be a massive spike in infections in a couple of weeks’ time - hopefully in time to warn the rest of the world over Christmas travel.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

DavidL said:

Stocky said:

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal
    True.

Does that sum it up?

Ok - agreed - so it becomes: 1) yes you can fish in our territorial waters on condition that 2) we get a percentage of the value of the spoils and 3) all catches are processed in the UK.

Let`s compare that with what is agreed. My money is on the deal being worse than that from a UK perspective.
    I agree with you. There has been far too much emphasis on the catch and not nearly enough on the value generated by that catch. Politics over economics.
  • Options

24 hours there
    And how long back?
  • Options

24 hours there
    And how long back?
    48 hour round trip
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

It's not really one sided. Afaicr the UK exports c.50% of its catch to the EU, hence a more frequent No deal sceptic tone from fishing leaders, even the east coast 'British fish for British boats' lads.
    But we also end up "importing" a lot of fish caught in our waters at the moment. That is not in our interests. And I seriously doubt that a modest tariff (in the event of a no deal) would significantly impact on our shellfish, for example. They are a high value, high demand product.
  • Options

24 hours there
    And how long back?
    Still less time than hanging around in a lorry park in Kent come Jan 2021.

• Options
    DavidL said:

slade said:

According to this under 50% if I'm reading it right.

https://twitter.com/BallotBoxScot/status/1332304998680694784?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Some will sneer at anything less than bricking up the Channel Tunnel, there will always be diehards
    No. There's no pleasing the Redwoods and the Cashs and the Bones. They want to live in a world and a Britain that has long gone. The big question for me is how many of those voted Conservative in the election also want to live in that world. If it's a large number I think the party - your party - has a structural problem and that victory could be of the Pyrrhic variety. Which I've just googled and realize is not quite right before people jump all over me with the weight of ancient learning.
  • Options

If Boris gets a deal it'll be interesting to see how Princess Nut Nut handles the PR. My guess is we'll see footage of jubilant, briny trawlerman types cracking champers on the quayside at Padstow/Peterhead.

Surely that depends on the deal. Being able to catch more fish isn't the same as being able to economically export it to the markets who will buy it...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

But we also end up "importing" a lot of fish caught in our waters at the moment. That is not in our interests. And I seriously doubt that a modest tariff (in the event of a no deal) would significantly impact on our shellfish, for example. They are a high value, high demand product.
    Sitting in an excrement strewn lorry park in Kent for 2 days might significantly impact on our shellfish.
  • Options

DavidL said:

slade said:

Thanks, that is a much better result for them.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    I don't think it is
    In Britain?

Hats have got to serve a function.

I'm not one for formal bobbles on my winter hat, and in summer a rimmed hat for gardening and leisure days out only is acceptable: I very much dress down in summer, and as a Manc a bucket with a but of design on (why should kids get all the fun?) is my natural choice.

Any other choice of summer hat depends on how you dress, but should serve essentially the same purpose - so the type of hats that go with an off-duty accountant's uniform (you know the one) are equally fine for them.

Rain: short hair will deal with 95% of British rain (says a baldie) and the right coat or the tiniest, least used possible umbrella for your most formal or warm weather occasion will do the rest.
  • Options

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

It's a negotiation.
    Indeed, the EU bend on fishing, 0.1% of our economy, we bend on the other 99.9%. This was always the most likely deal politically. The other political "win" for the Tories will be a review/renegotiation in late 2024 which will allow him to frame that election as get Brexit done as well. Those who hope the topic will drift away after these talks should prepare to be disappointed.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

No. There's no pleasing the Redwoods and the Cashs and the Bones. They want to live in a world and a Britain that has long gone. The big question for me is how many of those voted Conservative in the election also want to live in that world. If it's a large number I think the party - your party - has a structural problem and that victory could be of the Pyrrhic variety. Which I've just googled and realize is not quite right before people jump all over me with the weight of ancient learning.
    So what, Starmer is also losing Corbynites to the Greens just as some diehard anti No Dealers and anti lockdown voters are going to Farage.

However Boris has a majority of 80 so can afford to ignore the diehards and will still get the Deal through
  • Options

On topic, why is there no question asking women if they have gone unshaven for more days than usual? Disgustingly genderist imo.

They did ask, only Mary Hinge replied.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

slade said:

It had less than 30% turnout, South had almost 50% turnout, the loss of a key marginal seat by the SNP to a Unionist Party on a high turnout is far more significant than them holding a safe seat on a low turnout
  • Options
    I know they announced a vaccine some ways back, but have they been rolling it out much?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

#bringonthedeal

Sitting in an excrement strewn lorry park in Kent for 2 days might significantly impact on our shellfish.
    It might if that happens although most will be frozen.

I remember vividly enjoying BBQ seafood in Portugal in the Algarve only to discover that it came from the Western Isles! Its apparently much cleaner and tastier than the equivalent from the Med. It was certainly excellent.
  • Options

Chapel Down or Nyetimber surely?
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Abso-bloody-lutely.
    I don't think it is
    In Britain?

I will wear a hat to keep the sun off my bald patch: I don’t fancy sunburn there.
    Some of us can't cope with any sun at all! Tilley or Akubra in the summer for me, when it's sunny. Or Irish tweed fisherman's hat in the rain.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Equally, it's not something to fight to the death over. As we have been doing.
    Fishing does seem to be punching above its weight in the negotiations. Along with ending FOM, perhaps a Win on this will be enough for most Leaver Con 19 voters to conclude, "Ok, Boris said he'd get Brexit done and he has. We're sorted on that."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

slade said:

It had less than 30% turnout, South had almost 50% turnout, the loss of a key marginal seat by the SNP to a Unionist Party on a high turnout is far more significant than them holding a safe seat on a low turnout
    Meh, its a bit of six of one and half a dozen of the other to me. There is already a Tory minority administration in Perth which gets a fair bit of support from the Lib Dems so the SNP down 1 and the Lib Dems up one won't make much difference.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Russia's excess deaths are about three times the COVID-19 deaths. So say you really had 1,500 deaths per day from COVID-19, the real infection number would be more like 150,000 to 300,000 per day.
  • Options

24 hours there
    And how long back?
    48 hour round trip
    Lorries off our roads and out of any queue in Kent. Sounds win win to me.
This discussion has been closed.