Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

I’ve just laid Trump at an 8% chance on Betfair – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    Practices will be given ‘at least 10 days notice’ of the start of the Covid vaccination campaign, it added.

Are any members of the public going to get this before Christmas?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,430

stodge said:

Thank you, yes I was doing as you say.

I just find some of the comments on here incredulous. The human misery being caused globally by this virus, including around 400 each day dying from it in the UK over the last few weeks, is unarguable. Those who try to write it off as something that only affects people who are "nearly dead anyway", not much worse than the flu, and something that shouldn't stop us getting on with our normal business are to me, bonkers. Only a fool would think that everybody doing as they please wouldn't results in thousands of extra deaths. The bonkers lot include just a few on here, some scientists/statisticians/medics, the Toby Young/Peter Hitchens types, and a small but significant number of Tory MPs who oppose strict measures because although they may save a few (old) lives they damage the economy. Bonkers, the lot of them. You can argue a bit about the data, but the big picture death toll here and elsewhere is a matter of fact except at the margins.

Sorry, rant over.

If I were being cynical, I'd say those putting wealth before health were more afraid that any economic consequences would be profoundly negative for the Conservatives and might lead to their replacement in Government by Labour.

If the cost of preventing Labour getting into Government was to be the deaths of a few hundred "sick oldies" or "obese slobs" (as someone on here described them), it would be a price well worth paying.

For some, the nightmare is not a virus running wild through the population but the Labour Party in Government.

That of course would be absurdly cynical though, wouldn't it?
    It works even better the other way.

How many of those wanting lockdowns think the economic damage is a feature not a bug ?

For some, the dream is a more powerful, more authoritarian state, a dominant public sector and a Labour party in charge of it.
    You're the one who's dreaming there.
    You really don't think there are people who would like a more powerful state ?

Or a more authoritarian state ?

Or a dominant public sector ?

There are, lots and lots of them and of all political persuasions.

Take a look at how much support there is for nationalising such things as food production and travel agents:

https://insideflyer.co.uk/2017/10/23-brits-want-nationalise-travel-agents/

Or consider how many times you have heard someone say "the government should ban it".
    Ok, I will try to answer calmly:

First, I was referring to your "How many of those wanting lockdowns think the economic damage is a feature not a bug ?" comment. I should have just answered "None".

As for "the government should ban it"... Yes, I hear that from time to time. Often from those on the right, as in "the government should ban... immigration, same-sex marriages, discussion of LGBT issues in schools, women priests, etc. etc."
    None ?

Now I'm probably more cynical than your good self but the phrase 'never let a good crisis go to waste' comes to mind.

As does 'you cannot make an omelette without breaking eggs'.

People who want change are often happy to see a little bad news if they think it will result in the change they want.

And there are people of all persuasions who want to ban things - how about fox hunting for example ? Or some sort of car usage or house ownership or energy production they don't approve of. Or perhaps people who or things which originate in countries they don't approve of ?

To take something in the news in recent years, how many people support the banning of 'chlorinated chicken'.

There are lots of lots of people who are happy to have a more powerful and authoritarian government.

As long as its 'people like me' in control.
    You rarely land in the middle.

You make a polarised mixture of brilliant posts and stupid posts.

I’d venture this is in the “Mansfield is the vision for Britain” category.

For clarity, that’s the latter category.
    :smiley:

How authoritarian we might be if we did have the power is something we should be grateful we don't get to discover.
    I am quite happy in the knowledge of the pyramid of skulls I would build. The slope of the pyramid measured by the reporting day would be.........
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

In other news, I've just finished series 4 of the Crown. I thought it was pretty good and don't understand why everyone is whinging.

I thought Thatcher was portrayed in a pretty balanced light - it showed her positive traits and her negative traits.

I also thought Charles was portrayed in a balanced light. Yes they demonstrated his hypocrisy but it also made us feel sorry for him at the same time - that he was also a victim.

The only person who was portrayed as white than white was Princess Di but man the actress was fantastic.

I can see Diana's fashion sense coming back into fashion in the next few years.

I have come to the conclusion that the lesson of the Diana saga is: have nothing to do with a man who is not prepared to shag you until his doctor has examined your fanny. It's bloody rude.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

Practices will be given ‘at least 10 days notice’ of the start of the Covid vaccination campaign, it added.

The most important group to get this is front line medical workers, and I'd expect most of them to be vaccinated by year end.

Then it'll be the vulnerable, in January and February.
    Then 50+ and/or comorbidities in March and April.
    Then it'll be everyone else.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

JACK_W said:

I note there was some interesting discussion this morning on classic British cars of the 196070/s. Two of my favourite drives were the Alvis TE21 and the Rover P5B Coupe.

Both somewhat rakish and not at all like Mrs Jack W's husband at all .... :innocent:

My grandfather had a P5B.
    I wouldn’t have called it particularly rakish (it was also the car used by Wilson and Heath). Smelled of peppermints, seat leather and pipe tobacco,

The Alvis, though, looks rather fine. The Graber bodied ones even more so.
    Am I misremembering or did Jack W mention that he was looking at buying a Bristol a few years back? Rejected in the end as being too new fangled no doubt.
    I was very surprised to learn recently that there is such a thing as a Beaufighter (with 4 wheels, not two and a tailwheel). And that a good friend of mine has two.
    And a Blenheim, Beaufort and Bristol Fighter I believe. They were obviously ahead of the curve on Britain's war fetish.
    Same company isn't it?

I take @Dura_Ace point on the P6 V8 Rover, the brakes were a nightmare*, but great car to drive. The leather seats and walnut dash were lush , but it also went like stink when working. Ours did have rather dodgy steering, swerving into the opposite carriageway, when hands taken off the wheel. I remember spinning it on the A34 as a result.

*nearly as bad as repairing 2CV brakes which were within the rear axle suspension.
    ...although 2CV rear brakes were hardly critical, surely?
    Driving a 2CV was surprising fun. Top end was 70mph, but once it finally got there you really didn't want to lose that speed, so had to corner on two wheels to keep it, which they did surprisingly well.

Brakes were still needed for the MOT disappointingly.
    Good point.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,863
    Late evening all :)

As an aside, the Racing Post is full of joy over the prospect 2,000 people will be turning up at Lingfield and Ludlow to watch the racing next Wednesday. Now, 2,000 for a midweek all-weather meeting would be decent, 2,000 for King George day at Kempton perhaps less so.

Apparently it's all the atmosphere and the return to "normal" but if you want to go and stand in a Surrey or Shropshire field on a cold December afternoon, there are one or two rules and regulations to follow:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/latest/no-hugs-no-high-fivesbut-can-i-get-a-beer-new-rules-on-racecourses/460883

On that basis, I'd rather sit at home on my sofa and watch the racing on the tv. Sitting on a nice table outdoors in midsummer is one thing - not quite so much fun in December I reckon. Will the courses be able to observe the bio-security protocols if everyone wants to keep warm indoors (because that's what usually happens at a winter jump meeting)?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    Alistair said:

https://twitter.com/twitonatrain/status/1329396745877528576?s=19

Excellent time to revisit this.

The 7-day moving average of deaths for the 18th of November is now 28

Every, single, week the same shitey attempts to deceive.

Andrew Neil has thoroughly destroyed whatever remained of his reputation for numerate journalism.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,687
    edited November 2020
    rcs1000 said:

The most important group to get this is front line medical workers, and I'd expect most of them to be vaccinated by year end.

All of which assumes vaccine approval in the next 2-3 weeks. How confident of that should we be?
  • Options
    The Wirecard story doesn't get anywhere near the attention it should, but it is just incredible.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1332079652706377730?s=20
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited November 2020
    These are the comparisons with the previous 5 year average deaths from 2015-2020

• Options

Alistair said:

https://twitter.com/twitonatrain/status/1329396745877528576?s=19

Excellent time to revisit this.

The 7-day moving average of deaths for the 18th of November is now 28

Every, single, week the same shitey attempts to deceive.

Andrew Neil has thoroughly destroyed whatever remained of his reputation for numerate journalism.
    His need to prove that Sweden is having a good Covid and Scotland a bad one purely by the force of his will is verging on a psychological condition.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    isam said:

These are the comparisons with the previous 5 year average deaths from 2015-2020

• Options
    Lots of bashing of the old journos on here (something I would never get involved in, innocent face), but is there somebody people would say has been consistently really good?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

The Wirecard story doesn't get anywhere near the attention it should, but it is just incredible.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1332079652706377730?s=20

A warning to those who find it inconceivable that great big quoted companies can ever turn out to have had no money in the bank all along.
  • Options

Lots of bashing of the old journos on here (something I would never get involved in, innocent face), but is there somebody people would say has been consistently really good?

Jen Williams - Man Evening News.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    This is excess deaths compared to the previous 5 years average for the years 2015-2020 from week 22 onwards

The excess deaths compared to the previous 5 years weeks 22-46

• Options

https://twitter.com/NickTriggle?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

I don't know if the BBC ever used him at the daily announcements.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020

Jen Williams - Man Evening News.
    I have enjoyed Freddie Sayers interviews....now branched out into wider issues. Latest one with Suzanne Moore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSVd36xEplY
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,681
    isam said:

This is excess deaths compared to the previous 5 years average for the years 2015-2020 from week 22 onwards

Not sure of what you are trying to prove. Is it that the hundreds of people dying of Covid-19 each day is not really happening?
  • Options

Why is that during a pandemic we see so little of health correspondents and so bloody much of Kuennsberg, Peston and Rigby?
  • Options
    This thread has been put into Tier 3....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Not sure of what you are trying to prove. Is it that the hundreds of people dying of Covid-19 each day is not really happening?
    Partly just curiosity sparked by the Daily Mail fake graph, and while I was at it I thought I would run a little book in my head to see which lefty would accuse me of something or the other first
  • Options

Why is that during a pandemic we see so little of health correspondents and so bloody much of Kuennsberg, Peston and Rigby?
    Rules of engagement. It's the PM so the Pol Editor has to be there.

Sadly, this means Johnson is getting off lightly all the time.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    IshmaelZ said:

In other news, I've just finished series 4 of the Crown. I thought it was pretty good and don't understand why everyone is whinging.

I thought Thatcher was portrayed in a pretty balanced light - it showed her positive traits and her negative traits.

I also thought Charles was portrayed in a balanced light. Yes they demonstrated his hypocrisy but it also made us feel sorry for him at the same time - that he was also a victim.

The only person who was portrayed as white than white was Princess Di but man the actress was fantastic.

I have come to the conclusion that the lesson of the Diana saga is: have nothing to do with a man who is not prepared to shag you until his doctor has examined your fanny. It's bloody rude.
    Many guys expect their women to be 'virgo intacta' prior to intimacy. In the 60s it was still very much the norm.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,000
    justin124 said:

IshmaelZ said:

Many guys expect their women to be 'virgo intacta' prior to intimacy. In the 60s it was still very much the norm.

You really are the most horrible bigot. Your repressive attitude to sex has no place in the Labour Party. Please take your reactionary views elsewhere.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    Foxy said:

into the opposite carriageway, when hands taken off the wheel. I remember spinning it on the A34 as a result.

*nearly as bad as repairing 2CV brakes which were within the rear axle suspension.

Despite their simplicity every job on a 2CV is a cauchemar although I do love them. When I was at university in France I had the fourgonette version with the 3 bar 'Belgian' grill and 650cc barrels from a Visa. I've got a 1987 Spécial SORNed the back of the barn somewhere that I occasionally think about putting back on the road but then I realise after a year of use I'll have to spend another year welding rust repairs on it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462
    edited November 2020
    I'm not a big bettor, but I can't say I'm surprised that Betfair has not paid up, as one side is contesting the results and there are lawsuits pending.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    rcs1000 said:

Applying Hofstadter's law
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstadter's_law
    you can stretch that to
    it'll be the vulnerable, in February to April
    Then 50+ and/or comorbidities in April to June
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Partly just curiosity sparked by the Daily Mail fake graph, and while I was at it I thought I would run a little book in my head to see which lefty would accuse me of something or the other first
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

rcs1000 said:

you can stretch that to
    you can stretch that to
    it'll be the vulnerable, in March to May
    Then 50+ and/or comorbidities in May to August
  • Options

Marina Hyde.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

eristdoof said:

rcs1000 said:

you can stretch that to
    you can stretch that to
    it'll be the vulnerable, in March to May
    Then 50+ and/or comorbidities in May to August
    Applying Hofstadter's law ....
    you get the idea.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

You were short but not that short
  • Options

justin124 said:

IshmaelZ said:

You really are the most horrible bigot. Your repressive attitude to sex has no place in the Labour Party. Please take your reactionary views elsewhere.
    I am not a member of the Labour Party - though suspect that my views would be shared by Clement Attlee, Stafford Cripps and indeed John Smith. Lord Longford certainly would have approved. Who decreed that to be a party member a person must go along with the 'permissive society'?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

IshmaelZ said:

This is you.

• Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I am not a member of the Labour Party - though suspect that my views would be shared by Clement Attlee, Stafford Cripps and indeed John Smith. Lord Longford certainly would have approved. Who decreed that to be a party member a person must go along with the 'permissive society'?
    You suspect? I suspect that you are a nasty bigot whose repressive attitudes to sex belong in the Dark Ages. You make my skin crawl with your sinister judgements on other human beings. I hope your God is on your side.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

justin124 said:

IshmaelZ said:

This is you.

Who is he?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

JACK_W said:

I note there was some interesting discussion this morning on classic British cars of the 196070/s. Two of my favourite drives were the Alvis TE21 and the Rover P5B Coupe.

Both somewhat rakish and not at all like Mrs Jack W's husband at all .... :innocent:

I wouldn’t have called it particularly rakish (it was also the car used by Wilson and Heath). Smelled of peppermints, seat leather and pipe tobacco,

Am I misremembering or did Jack W mention that he was looking at buying a Bristol a few years back? Rejected in the end as being too new fangled no doubt.
    I was very surprised to learn recently that there is such a thing as a Beaufighter (with 4 wheels, not two and a tailwheel). And that a good friend of mine has two.
    And a Blenheim, Beaufort and Bristol Fighter I believe. They were obviously ahead of the curve on Britain's war fetish.
    TBF, they did build those, too.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

IshmaelZ said:

You suspect? I suspect that you are a nasty bigot whose repressive attitudes to sex belong in the Dark Ages. You make my skin crawl with your sinister judgements on other human beings. I hope your God is on your side.
    So Longford was a bigot too - and probably the others - simply because of holding different views on such moral issues to yourself? Logically you are implying that most guys in the 1950s were bigots. Moreover, you are the one seeking to impose your views and to exclude others who fail to share them.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    JACK_W said:

Nigelb said:

JACK_W said:

The P5B Saloon was more stately and much beloved of PM's, government ministers and indeed the Queen. However the 3.5 litre Coupe had the lower roof line and gave the old bus a more devilish appearance. Quite fun to drive and plenty of grunt from the Buick V8 engine.
    Ah, the Coupe.
    Perhaps raffish ?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

IshmaelZ said:

So Longford was a bigot too - and probably the others - simply because of holding different views on such moral issues to yourself? Logically you are implying that most guys in the 1950s were bigots. Moreover, you are the one seeking to impose your views and to exclude others who fail to share them.
    I live and let live.

You cast judgement. Or the first stone, as your book might have it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    And tonight two Labour-led councils in London turned against the Labour leader in a furious backlash at Mr Corbyn's treatment.

Hackney South and Shoreditch both voted "no confidence" in the current Labour leadership.

A statement released by Hackney South's Labour Party group said Mr Starmer had "demonstrated he is unfit to lead and manage the Labour Party at this time when people desperately need a unified party to take on the conservatives with bold socialist policies”.

In a statement defending his actions against Mr Corbyn, Sir Keir said, however: I have made it my mission to root out Democratic Socialists err i mean anti-Semitism from the Democratic Socialist party which I lead
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

IshmaelZ said:

I live and let live.

You cast judgement. Or the first stone, as your book might have it.
    You are doing that yourself! Little sign that you are prepared to tolerate the mainstream views of the 1950s and early 1960s.
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

You strike me as quite leftwing. Not clear why you are trying to trigger ‘lefties’ when you are one!
  • Options

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

You strike me as quite leftwing. Not clear why you are trying to trigger ‘lefties’ when you are one!
    I wasn’t trying to trigger anyone, I was just interested in how many deaths above the average was normal, and knew that some people would not like me doing so, and that they’d be lefties!
  • Options

And tonight two Labour-led councils in London turned against the Labour leader in a furious backlash at Mr Corbyn's treatment.

Hackney South and Shoreditch both voted "no confidence" in the current Labour leadership.

A statement released by Hackney South's Labour Party group said Mr Starmer had "demonstrated he is unfit to lead and manage the Labour Party at this time when people desperately need a unified party to take on the conservatives with bold socialist policies”.

In a statement defending his actions against Mr Corbyn, Sir Keir said, however: I have made it my mission to root out Democratic Socialists err i mean anti-Semitism from the Democratic Socialist party which I lead

That's not "two Labour-led councils".

That's one Labour Constituency.

And not one without previous form: https://www.thejc.com/news/uk/fears-for-mps-as-hard-left-take-over-1.441683
This discussion has been closed.