Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters make it a 65% chance that Johnson will still be PM on Jan 1 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793
    stodge said:

Anyway, while there's certifying, there's still counting continuing in the US elections a mere seventeen days after polling.

Currently, according to CBS News, Biden has 79,662,486 and Trump has 73,681.959 so it's about a 5,980,000 lead for Biden (51.0%-47.2%).

Some states are now calling 100% counted so presumably that makes it a final result. Those states not at 99 or 100% in terms of votes counted are:

Washington DC (95%)
    Illinois (98%)
    Iowa (98%)
    Maine (92%)
    Maryland (95%)
    Massachusetts (95%)
    New York (84%)
    Ohio (97%)

I don't know why New York is so slow - Westchester County is only 56% counted and Manhattan is barely 60% counted. Both are strong Biden areas and in theory there could be another 200,000 Biden votes in Manhattan alone.

I'm confident now Biden will cross 80 million votes and may end up as much as 6.25 million votes ahead of Trump - we'll see.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/18/politics/new-york-california-election-delay/index.html

"The city's Board of Elections is notoriously cumbersome and disorganized. And the state's decision to allow for early and expanded absentee voting put added pressure on an already strained apparatus.
    "This year's delays are another example of the BOE's incompetence," said New York City Comptroller Scott Stringer. "What was an antiquated absentee ballot process morphed into broad mail-in voting. With more than one million New Yorkers voting by absentee ballot, the review after the return process created an enormous logjam."
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,975
    Anthony Browne absolutely taken apart by Jackie Long on C4News on the subject of Patel.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    edited November 2020

the BBC currently have an headline on their webite saying (no lie) "who is Priti Patel" then on the adjacent headline go on about two WAGS dispute in the high court about essentially a social media spat with the assumed knowledge that everyone will know who they are. Rather depressing

The class warfare of the #wagathachristie case is an interesting theme. Rebecca and Jamie Vardy have always been looked down on by the Premiership Elite who came through the pampered Premiership Academy route. Their origins in the much more chavy background of the Lower Leagues has always made them outsiders in the England team. It must have really pissed Rooney off when Jamie won the Golden Boot.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,404

the BBC currently have an headline on their webite saying (no lie) "who is Priti Patel" then on the adjacent headline go on about two WAGS dispute in the high court about essentially a social media spat with the assumed knowledge that everyone will know who they are. Rather depressing

Why should politicians be the most interesting or well known?
    Well she is the Home Secretary and part of a small group of people taking extraordinary decisions over life and how we live it in this year especially.
    My wife asked me the other day why the chief scientific advisor was quitting - despite watching all the Downing Street briefings, she confused Witty with Cummings.

You appear to believe that the politicians are important. Well, they try, but institutional policy is often stronger.

A fun example - it was suggested that an interesting idea might be to run car trains through the Channel Tunnel that do not just detrain at Calais, but continue across France. As far as Spain, or Italy.

The idea was quashed - because administrative policy is cars are bad. When it was pointed out that otherwise people fly and hire a car at the other end - the explanation stayed the same. "Administrative policy is anti-car". When pointed out that within a few years the cars would be electric anyway.... "Administrative policy is anti-car"....
  • Options

Anthony Browne absolutely taken apart by Jackie Long on C4News on the subject of Patel.

This government is just one long episode of "defend the indefensible" and we have had some champion entries for that this afternoon on PB.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

The class warfare of the #wagathachristie case is an interesting theme. Rebecca and Jamie Vardy have always been looked down on by the Premiership Elite who came through the pampered Premiership Academy route. Their origins in the much more chavy background of the Lower Leagues has always made them outsiders in the England team. It must have really pissed Rooney off when Jamie won the Golden Boot.
    Jamie Vardy can be a knob at times though. he is not exactly Oliver Twist
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:
    Absolutely, he should be widely applauded for it. How we regulate social media is key to the survival of western democracy. We are seeing into a potential future here looking at how divided the US has become. Facebook and other companies profit from taking us there. I don't have the answers but the discussion needs to be had and ideas on regulation tested and challenged. Well done Mr Collins.
    He absolutely should not be applauded for it what he in effect wants is social media which only says things he approves of. If you think he should be applauded I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you havent read much of what he proposes

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20201116/02212745712/uk-politician-demands-impossible-social-media-companies-must-not-take-down-political-speech-must-block-disinformation.shtml
    He has a point, but no solution.
    It is, at least, a start.
    Don't get me wrong I don't like disinformation either but given a choice between as we are and politicians being control of what can be said I say where we are is the lesser of two evils. The latter is just a step closer to the china situation. Plus lets face it our conventional media on all sides put out there fair share of disinformation....I won't even mention lib dem election leaflets or every word that comes out of a politicians mouth
    The solution must involve better social media. One idea that needs looking at, is the idea of continuous narratives - many issues are ongoing, not just getting an odd story, here and there.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    rpjs said:

stodge said:

I don't know why New York is so slow - Westchester County is only 56% counted and Manhattan is barely 60% counted. Both are strong Biden areas and in theory there could be another 200,000 Biden votes in Manhattan alone.

I'm confident now Biden will cross 80 million votes and may end up as much as 6.25 million votes ahead of Trump - we'll see.

As I've said before NYS is slow because historically we didn't have early voting until last year, and normally absentee ballots are only issued if you have a valid reason to request one such as illness or planned absence from the county. (in practice the reasons weren't verified). We have had a huge extra number of absentee ballots as fear of contracting Covid by attending the polling place in person is allowed this year as "illness". By law the absentee ballots can't begin to be counted until after polls have closed. The county boards of elections simply aren't set up to handle the amount.
    Apologies - you had said this and I'd forgotten.

They've counted just under 7 million votes and I estimate another 1.3 million to come. I just noted both Westchester and Manhattan were still below 60% and both are very strong Democrat counties. Westchester was 65-31 for Clinton in 2016 and Manhattan 87-10. In common with other parts of the State, Trump has done better than he did in 2016 - in Westchester Biden leads 63-36 while in Manhattan Clinton's 77-point lead has dropped to 70 this time.

We know Democrats were much keener on mail-in so it's no surprise stronger Democrat counties have a much bigger backlog of mail-in ballots and are slower at counting them.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    One of Boris Johnson's MPs Anthony Browne has just been on Ch4 News saying that EVEN 'Ian Austin a Labour MP says Priti Patel isn't a bully'!.

The Guiliani misleading information disease is spreading......
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812
    slade said:

Pro_Rata said:

Bakers always happier when there is a big tent involved.

Here in Kirklees btw, Labour council has lost majority due to Corbyn resignations.

That is the public explanation and one of the councillors is married to the former Corbynite MP Thelma Walker. However I believe there are also competence arguments about the leadership of the Labour group.
    I'll be honest, I'm not an activist steeped in local politics, so the impressions I get are fairly casual - that the leader is to the left for my taste, the Labour have been pretty internecine here, that he came across as a berk and made bad decisions in the Tier 3 negotiations. I'm not across the ins and outs of the big towns' fund investment in Huddersfield, but I don't actively hate the overall plan - see how it turns out. And that's probably the limit of my views on the current administration.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Jamie Vardy can be a knob at times though. he is not exactly Oliver Twist
    Chat shit get banged 🤣⚽️⚽️⚽️
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

She is not just any politician though. And even if most normal people wouldn't know who she is, it's a bit weird to have a 'Who is X?' headline, as usually the news at least pretends most of us know who holds the Great Offices of State and doesn't point out to us that we're silly.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,975
    Roger said:

One of Boris Johnson's MPs Anthony Browne has just been on Ch4 News saying that EVEN 'Ian Austin a Labour MP says Priti Patel isn't a bully'!.

I think he just failed his big chance to get a job. Or maybe not with this government? Top marks for loyalty, if nothing else.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,191
    Roger said:

Wasn't Austin, the ousted by Corbyn, Labour MP for Dudley who told his former constituents to vote Conservative?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    Foxy said:

"Rebekah" dont you know?!

Have you heard of Hypotonic Hyporesponsive Episodes? They symptoms match exactly what happened to my son after his jab. 10,000/1 shot apparently
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:
    Absolutely, he should be widely applauded for it. How we regulate social media is key to the survival of western democracy. We are seeing into a potential future here looking at how divided the US has become. Facebook and other companies profit from taking us there. I don't have the answers but the discussion needs to be had and ideas on regulation tested and challenged. Well done Mr Collins.
    He absolutely should not be applauded for it what he in effect wants is social media which only says things he approves of. If you think he should be applauded I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you havent read much of what he proposes

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20201116/02212745712/uk-politician-demands-impossible-social-media-companies-must-not-take-down-political-speech-must-block-disinformation.shtml
    He has a point, but no solution.
    It is, at least, a start.
    Don't get me wrong I don't like disinformation either but given a choice between as we are and politicians being control of what can be said I say where we are is the lesser of two evils. The latter is just a step closer to the china situation. Plus lets face it our conventional media on all sides put out there fair share of disinformation....I won't even mention lib dem election leaflets or every word that comes out of a politicians mouth
    The solution must involve better social media. One idea that needs looking at, is the idea of continuous narratives - many issues are ongoing, not just getting an odd story, here and there.
    The solution is teaching people critical thinking and to step outside their social bubbles that they build. No idea what you mean by continuous narrative and how you think it would help.

The trouble is too many people only mix with people like themselves and always have. Social media has the ability to magnify that. Whereas in a town or village there may be a handful of people that think like you and you will therefore get exposed to at least a modicum of alternate viewpoints. Social media merely allows you to not step outside your comfort bubble.

If you only ever see one viewpoint and everyone you know agrees that is the only correct viewpoint it is self reinforcing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

She is not just any politician though. And even if most normal people wouldn't know who she is, it's a bit weird to have a 'Who is X?' headline, as usually the news at least pretends most of us know who holds the Great Offices of State and doesn't point out to us that we're silly.
    Most people don't know. And don't care.

Knowing who your MP is is considered to make you a political expert by the average person you meet.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993

rcs1000 said:

The ignorance from some here with regards to bullying is making it seem more and more obvious why some people talk to others in the way they do.

I have been bullied throughout my life, by those much taller and those much smaller than me. By all sorts of personalities, by people of all backgrounds.

The idea that Patel couldn't bully somebody because she isn't tall shows a real lack of understanding and really undermines any comments they might make about bullying now or in the future.

As some of you know, I take a hard line on bullying and I am sure that is informed by my post history. I am sure some of you think I overreact - but the comments by some today have really disappointed me, I have to be honest.

I'm going to take another breather away from this site for a while, all the best.

As you get towards the top of any organisation, people get more... forceful. It's a Darwinian process, and smart (but nice people) tend to get knifed by their more ruthless colleagues. I suspect Ms Patel has behaved aggressively, and maybe crossed the line into abuse. But the civil servants at that level should be no shrinking violets either.
    I rub shoulders with senior people in both the public and private sectors. The aggressive journeymen come and go, wreaking havoc on their watch. The calm, firm and fair guys seems to continue onward and upward and last the distance.

I find the aggressive entrepreneurial types too, normally have a handful of failed businesses behind them, and getting money out of them is a trial. To a man (and I guess woman) they almost always ultimately fail. Arise Sir Donald Trump!

Bullying at work is a mark of a failing manager. If managers can't take people with them they more often than not fail.
    I find the smart but nice people are the ones who usually end up leaving big firms and become successful entrepreneurs!

I will tell my CFO to his face that work he has done is crap, if it is in fact crap. And I would expect him to tell me the same, if he thought I was producing substandard work.

We have an excellent, direct relationship. Is that bullying?

I certainly would never say someone down the chain was producing crap. I would instead sit down and say "hey, let me show you how you can really shine."

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993
    stodge said:

rpjs said:

stodge said:

As I've said before NYS is slow because historically we didn't have early voting until last year, and normally absentee ballots are only issued if you have a valid reason to request one such as illness or planned absence from the county. (in practice the reasons weren't verified). We have had a huge extra number of absentee ballots as fear of contracting Covid by attending the polling place in person is allowed this year as "illness". By law the absentee ballots can't begin to be counted until after polls have closed. The county boards of elections simply aren't set up to handle the amount.
    Apologies - you had said this and I'd forgotten.

They've counted just under 7 million votes and I estimate another 1.3 million to come. I just noted both Westchester and Manhattan were still below 60% and both are very strong Democrat counties. Westchester was 65-31 for Clinton in 2016 and Manhattan 87-10. In common with other parts of the State, Trump has done better than he did in 2016 - in Westchester Biden leads 63-36 while in Manhattan Clinton's 77-point lead has dropped to 70 this time.

We know Democrats were much keener on mail-in so it's no surprise stronger Democrat counties have a much bigger backlog of mail-in ballots and are slower at counting them.

Presumably those counties Democrat leads will increase, as Republicans will have been more likely to vote in person on the day.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

The ignorance from some here with regards to bullying is making it seem more and more obvious why some people talk to others in the way they do.

I have been bullied throughout my life, by those much taller and those much smaller than me. By all sorts of personalities, by people of all backgrounds.

The idea that Patel couldn't bully somebody because she isn't tall shows a real lack of understanding and really undermines any comments they might make about bullying now or in the future.

As some of you know, I take a hard line on bullying and I am sure that is informed by my post history. I am sure some of you think I overreact - but the comments by some today have really disappointed me, I have to be honest.

I'm going to take another breather away from this site for a while, all the best.

As you get towards the top of any organisation, people get more... forceful. It's a Darwinian process, and smart (but nice people) tend to get knifed by their more ruthless colleagues. I suspect Ms Patel has behaved aggressively, and maybe crossed the line into abuse. But the civil servants at that level should be no shrinking violets either.
    I rub shoulders with senior people in both the public and private sectors. The aggressive journeymen come and go, wreaking havoc on their watch. The calm, firm and fair guys seems to continue onward and upward and last the distance.

I find the aggressive entrepreneurial types too, normally have a handful of failed businesses behind them, and getting money out of them is a trial. To a man (and I guess woman) they almost always ultimately fail. Arise Sir Donald Trump!

Bullying at work is a mark of a failing manager. If managers can't take people with them they more often than not fail.
    I find the smart but nice people are the ones who usually end up leaving big firms and become successful entrepreneurs!

I will tell my CFO to his face that work he has done is crap, if it is in fact crap. And I would expect him to tell me the same, if he thought I was producing substandard work.

I certainly would never say someone down the chain was producing crap. I would instead sit down and say "hey, let me show you how you can really shine."

Said Steve Smith to David Warner
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Have you heard of Hypotonic Hyporesponsive Episodes? They symptoms match exactly what happened to my son after his jab. 10,000/1 shot apparently
    A new one to me, but I don't do paeds.

Yes Rebecca is correct 🙂
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966

rcs1000 said:

True more widely. Certainly in teaching and sports in my personal experience. Probably everywhere tbh. Politics is perhaps a weird outlier which rewards such attitudes over the longer term.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    He's going to take people who sanitise stuff to the cleaners? I thought my missus was OCD
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    isam said:

Foxy said:

Hope he is OK now. A reminder that 10,000/1 shots sometimes happen.
  • Options

Roger said:

Wasn't Austin, the ousted by Corbyn, Labour MP for Dudley who told his former constituents to vote Conservative?
    Hes now an Independent in the House of lords.
    So neither Labour nor an MP.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I don't think you'd even say that. You'd say it's not up to his usual standard and ask if everything was ok.

This idea that's it's cool and proper for a CEO or boss to act like Alan Sugar, Gordon Gecko or Donald Trump is only for TV and the Movies.

In real life those people struggle to be effective and suffer a high turnover.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

I disagree. It is imperative that subordinates know if they are not cutting it. They need to be told fairly and politely that they need to shape up or ship out. They should be given all the support they need to succeed. If they don't make it, it's a handshake and wish them all the best for the future.

There is no need for unpleasantness, but realism is best for everyone.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Well at least Alex Allan was probably correct to resign, if he didn't seek to ascertain this rather fundamental piece of information...

Perhaps it was a brilliant set up, and Johnson has walked right into it...
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952

This idea that's it's cool and proper for a CEO or boss to act like Alan Sugar, Gordon Gecko or Donald Trump is only for TV and the Movies.

Maybe I just got lucky, but I have never had to work for a total asshole, and I worked for some really great people.
  • Options

I don't know, but i wouldn't be surprised if the Alan Sugar TV persona is a bit of an act. Donald Trump... not so much.

• Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:

Maybe I just got lucky, but I have never had to work for a total asshole, and I worked for some really great people.
    i always felt sorry for those tough 1970s /1980s TV cops who always (for some reason) had impossibly angry bosses including a penchant for throwing the interview room chair around on the walls.
    On of the best experiences money cannot buy (although a nicked mobile phone can it seems) was when my daughter had her phone pickpocketed on the subway in New York and after reporting it for insurance purposes we got transported across Manhatton in a NYPD cop car to the cop precinct where Cagney and Lacey once had fictional desks - It was a great afternoon with even a typical over the top cop saying that it dont make sense from over his pile of paper files and the only thing missing was an impossibly angry boss storming in to berate him over not solving our case yet
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Well at least Alex Allan was probably correct to resign, if he didn't seek to ascertain this rather fundamental piece of information...

Especially as the answer to the question "who is most likely to have been approached to confront her about her behaviour?" is really most likely to have been... "her Permanent Secretary". Anyone else doing it would be acting outside of the chain of command.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

I ask again - why on earth is Johnson clinging onto Patel?

Cummings I can understand as Johnson hasn't a clue what to do with the premiership without his aide, but Patel?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

Hope he is OK now. A reminder that 10,000/1 shots sometimes happen.
    The fact it is 10,000/1 makes me think it cant really have happened and I must be wrong, but the symptoms do match pretty much exactly. From what I have read it is a one off thing with no repercussions, but now the seed has been planted that there is something wrong. He seems to be almost ok now though, thanks
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,952

Cummings I can understand as Johnson hasn't a clue what to do with the premiership without his aide, but Patel?

The real case for Priti Patel is that she is politically indispensable to the Conservative Party, at least in its present form. She combines a number of vital qualities as far as Boris Johnson’s Downing Street is concerned: she is an impeccable Brexiteer, a committed authoritarian on law and order issues, a devoted immigration restrictionist, and she is from both an ethnic minority and an ordinary background.

No other person in the parliamentary party ticks all those boxes in quite the same way.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/11/boris-johnson-s-decision-protect-priti-patel-huge-risk-everybody-involved
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Not that Cummings is noticeably abler or more competent than Patel.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I don't know, but i wouldn't be surprised if the Alan Sugar TV persona is a bit of an act. Donald Trump... not so much.

If you read Sugar's biography and then watch The Apprentice, you can see he had the same senior management team for decades. He must have been doing something right, personnel-wise.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    On BF forum half an hour ago:

"georgia say certification statement was premature - will be later today"
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Scott_xP said:

The real case for Priti Patel is that she is politically indispensable to the Conservative Party, at least in its present form. She combines a number of vital qualities as far as Boris Johnson’s Downing Street is concerned: she is an impeccable Brexiteer, a committed authoritarian on law and order issues, a devoted immigration restrictionist, and she is from both an ethnic minority and an ordinary background.

No other person in the parliamentary party ticks all those boxes in quite the same way.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2020/11/boris-johnson-s-decision-protect-priti-patel-huge-risk-everybody-involved
    Why I backed her at 35/1 for next PM.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Bet365 and Sky have settled.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Why would Big Pharma be running ads against him? His bungling of the Covid response has made them all far richer than they should be.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Well quite. Makes a lot of sense. Although I thought "identity politics" was anathema?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Bet365 and Sky have settled.
    yes already had my £11 winnings and ten pound stake from Skybet on the draw tonight with Mansfield/Colchester. ----- Just because I can.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Patel would be dangerous to him in a leadership contest. She is hard to beat at the Brexiter than thou, hanging and flogging, "send 'em home" game.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,420
    Scott_xP said:
    As one of Boris's bigger fans here, he was never Thatcher circa 1983. The two aren't even in the same building.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Well quite. Makes a lot of sense. Although I thought "identity politics" was anathema?
    Anathema? derrigeur!

It just has to be the right sort of poppy wearing, flag waving, Rule Brittania "identity politics".
  • Options
    Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Patel would be dangerous to him in a leadership contest. She is hard to beat at the Brexiter than thou, hanging and flogging, "send 'em home" game.
    Priti is not tall enough. It's one of the few remaining permissible prejudices. Though like Boris, she can be known by her first name, and like Keir/Kier, it is not obvious how to spell it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Tested negative and has had it already, yet is self isolating... Unsocial distancing from Dom
  • Options

alex_ said:

If you read Sugar's biography and then watch The Apprentice, you can see he had the same senior management team for decades. He must have been doing something right, personnel-wise.
    Well i suppose there are nuances, for people who really know what they're doing. Sir Alex Ferguson, for example, was famed for his "hair dryer" technique. But he also commanded huge respect and loyalty from his players (and indeed was wildly admired by his fellow managers). Of course he fell out with people - and when he did there was rarely a way back. But it tended to be an issue with individuals, any such falling outs never seemed to spread any further.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, as a serious question, why would Johnson be concerned about her being a bully, a liar, a security risk, rather dense and completely incompetent?

With maybe three exceptions - and I’m not sure about Buckland any more - that covers his whole cabinet, including himself.

So he may as well have the political advantages she brings, rather than worry about her lack of ethics.
  • Options
    1.03-1.04 Georgia
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

In my younger days in the 1980s I was in fmcg sales. Being an unpleasant bastard was a pre-requisite for a Sales Manager in those days. One Manager would turn up at product launches wearing a T- shirt emblazoned with the statement "if pigs could fly, I would be squadron leader".
  • Options

Foxy said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Priti is not tall enough. It's one of the few remaining permissible prejudices. Though like Boris, she can be known by her first name, and like Keir/Kier, it is not obvious how to spell it.
    Priti is a fairly common name in Leicester. It is the pronunciation rather than spelling that people get wrong usually.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    Stocky said:

I think that is not the end of it though? Once it is certified, Trump can demand a recount as it is <0.5% margin
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:
    As one of Boris's bigger fans here, he was never Thatcher circa 1983. The two aren't even in the same building.
    And you're prepared to admit it?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Well, as a serious question, why would Johnson be concerned about her being a bully, a liar, a security risk, rather dense and completely incompetent?

With maybe three exceptions - and I’m not sure about Buckland any more - that covers his whole cabinet, including himself.

So he may as well have the political advantages she brings, rather than worry about her lack of ethics.
    PP brings loads of Ethics.

Well, Witham constituency is 1/18 of the county.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Well i suppose there are nuances, for people who really know what they're doing. Sir Alex Ferguson, for example, was famed for his "hair dryer" technique. But he also commanded huge respect and loyalty from his players (and indeed was wildly admired by his fellow managers). Of course he fell out with people - and when he did there was rarely a way back. But it tended to be an issue with individuals, any such falling outs never seemed to spread any further.
    The hair dryer was for half time. Ferguson tells of going to the Ballydoyle racing stables and being impressed that trainer Aidan O'Brien addressed each of dozens of staff by name, and returned to Old Trafford determined to do likewise. Of course, knowing a bit about football probably helped.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

He probably doesn't want her on the backbenches sitting with the people plotting a coup.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,609
    isam said:

Foxy said:

The description sounds deeply alarming.
    This was rather more reassuring, though:
    A return to normal after the reaction has been reported in all published cases. No long term sequelae have been identified in the small number of children who have had long term follow-up...

Hope you’re all well now.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Hi @Roger

Epic block quote fail there. You’ve got me saying I am ‘one of Boris’s bigger fans here.’

This is clearly bollocks, for three reasons, two minor and one important.

1) I do not refer to the encumbrance of Downing Street as ‘Boris’ but only ever call him ‘Johnson;’

2) Although I do not wish him to die painfully and therefore am not his most trenchant critic, I am scarce one of his bigger fans;

And most importantly:

3) I would never misuse an apostrophe and an ‘s’ like that.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    #zerotolerancetobullying

The odious Priti Patel should have been fired, no ifs, no buts!

If anything, this brings into the question another odious human being - Boris Johnson. Without doubt, the worst Prime Minister in living memory!
  • Options
    glw said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

He probably doesn't want her on the backbenches sitting with the people plotting a coup.
    Of whom did another Johnson say, ‘I’d rather have him on the inside pissing out than on the outside pissing in?’
  • Options
    alex_ said:

The Alan Sugar TV Persona is not an act.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Foxy said:

This government is just one long episode of "defend the indefensible" and we have had some champion entries for that this afternoon on PB.
    There can’t be much argument that this is the most useless government of our lifetimes.

The debate on here seems to be between those who believe the Tories are to blame for putting up the clown as leader in the first place, versus those who think Labour is to blame for offering Corbyn hence forcing people to vote for the incompetent Tory.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,749
    edited November 2020
    murali_s said:

#zerotolerancetobullying

The odious Priti Patel should have been fired, no ifs, no buts!

If anything, this brings into the question another odious human being - Boris Johnson. Without doubt, the worst Prime Minister in living memory!

Couldn't she just be sent on a Bullying Awareness course? Isn't that the stock solution for every workplace infraction these days?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

alex_ said:

A caraciture?
  • Options

Channel 4 News is worth watching from Wisconsin It's like a spoof which has got Adam Sandler's name written all over it
  • Options
    Genuine question: when TMay was at the Home Office did she simply subcontract out the bullying to Fiona Hill?

She certainly acted like it when she moved into No.10.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I ran into him a few times, when I used to fly out of Stapleford, where he keeps his private plane. The impression I get is that it’s his real personality, but hammed up a little for the television - probably more down to the editing than his changing his behaviour.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited November 2020

Roger said:

Quite so. It gave me great pleasure to send him a tweet suggesting that he was following the inspiring example of Pierre Laval by moving from Left to Right.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    I don't like what they are doing, but to compare shameless defence of Patel with what Trump is doing is certifiably insane. I'm currently reading his latest book, I hope it is not that crazy.

It's also extremely unhelpful because it makes it easier, not harder, for the government to defend itself. "You say we're acting like Trump trying to steal an election? Come off it". It actually stops people talking about Patel and the response the report in yet another attempt to draw Trump in to an issue where the gov is in trouble anyway.

Don't give Boris an easy out like that!
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

A caraciture?
    He maybe plays it up a bit, but basically what you see is what you get.

We were brought up in the same part of Hackney. He went to Brooke House School, where many of my mates went. I never met him then but the family was well known and as far as I know well liked. Some of my mates ended up working for him; a few stayed with him for the duration. He might be abrasive, but he is loyal to those who are loyal in return.

By chance, I came across him again in his Amstrad days. I was a tax manager in the firm that did his personal tax. I could tell you a few anecdotes, none of which reflect badly on the man. He didn't suffer fools gladly though. I remember the Head of the Tax Department once had to phone him to tell him he had a rather large amount of capital gains tax to pay 'tomorrow'. The paint on the walls blistered. (Sugar knew the amount was due but was livid with the lack of forewarning.)

The TV persona is not an act. Well, not much of one, anyway.
  • Options
    Alastair Campbell was also a bully. It ultimately was a factor in the suicide of Doctor David Kelly.

Let's not forget that.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    He hasn’t travelled at all. He was useless when he got the job - as was widely known by anyone who had worked with him, or by anyone who looked at his record in London. He sailed to the top because various people, from Tory MPs through Tory members to voters, had a variety of reasons for looking the other way.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

Scott_xP said:

Sorry Ydoethur!

I was actually about to pay you a compliment. I was going to say your first two paragraphs could have been written by Marina Hyde but then I got distracted and noticed a bizarre post by LuckyGuy (surely a misnomer he's a Johnson fan) and forgot your quote was still there.
  • Options

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

A caraciture?

We were brought up in the same part of Hackney. He went to Brooke House School, where many of my mates went. I never met him then but the family was well known and as far as I know well liked. Some of my mates ended up working for him; a few stayed with him for the duration. He might be abrasive, but he is loyal to those who are loyal in return.

By chance, I came across him again in his Amstrad days. I was a tax manager in the firm that did his personal tax. I could tell you a few anecdotes, none of which reflect badly on the man. He didn't suffer fools gladly though. I remember the Head of the Tax Department once had to phone him to tell him he had a rather large amount of capital gains tax to pay 'tomorrow'. The paint on the walls blistered. (Sugar knew the amount was due but was livid with the lack of forewarning.)

That's kind of what i was getting at - the point being that the original post suggested that "acting like Alan Sugar" is not a route to successful management. My point being that his TV Persona is not a complete representation of his management style. The "doesn't suffer fools gladly" (and presumably lets them know about it) is probably largely accurate. But there is a bit more to him in real life.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    I don't like what they are doing, but to compare shameless defence of Patel with what Trump is doing is certifiably insane. I'm currently reading his latest book, I hope it is not that crazy.

It's also extremely unhelpful because it makes it easier, not harder, for the government to defend itself. "You say we're acting like Trump trying to steal an election? Come off it". It actually stops people talking about Patel and the response the report in yet another attempt to draw Trump in to an issue where the gov is in trouble anyway.

There are some obvious parallels but they shouldn't be carried to far. Boris is not trying to pull off a coup.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,540
    Well, putting all the evidence together, including the statement from Philip Rutnam, it is clear that Patel is not only a serial bully, but also a serial liar. Not just at the Home Office, but in her previous jobs as well. It's no surprise that the government is unwilling to release the full report from Alex Allan, and it's also no surprise that he's felt no option but to resign following government inaction. Despite what some on here think of the Civil Service, they have a lot more integrity than ministers and their hangers-on.

Patel should clearly go. What's also depressed me today is the number of people on here who seem to advocate macho management - "when 'subordinates' don't do a good job, they need to be forced/persuaded/bullied out". It doesn't seem to occur to the macho managers that poor performance is usually (I'll grant not always) a consequence of poor management and/or poor recruitment by managers.

In my experience, the first key attribute for good managers is unfailing courtesy and respect for those paid less than them. Good managers help their staff to perform well, and 'blame' themselves, not their 'subordinates' for poor performance in most cases. They should think "why am I failing to help X to perform well?". I can't imagine a world in which I'd have ever said, or thought, of the staff who worked for me as 'subordinates'.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    What pathetic bullshit.

On the one hand we have Patel who has apologised for what she has done and changed her behaviour.

On the other hand we have a President of the United States who has lost an election but claims he has won six states that he lost.

And you think Home Secretary apologises is the same behaviour as launching a coup to steal an election?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    Sorry if this has been discussed already, but has Priti got Nut Nuts to thank for still having her job?

Incidentally, Wor Lass is on Priti's side.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,259

Scott_xP said:
    The vote share margin in 2019 (+11.5) was almost identical to 1987 (+11.4) though.
  • Options

Sorry if this has been discussed already, but has Priti got Nut Nuts to thank for still having her job?

Incidentally, Wor Lass is on Priti's side.

Indirectly, Carrie and Dominic Cummings both. Boris could not afford another high profile exit so soon.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,067
    They literally want to inject Trump into their veins.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1329776726726111233
  • Options
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

A caraciture?

That's kind of what i was getting at - the point being that the original post suggested that "acting like Alan Sugar" is not a route to successful management. My point being that his TV Persona is not a complete representation of his management style. The "doesn't suffer fools gladly" (and presumably lets them know about it) is probably largely accurate. But there is a bit more to him in real life.
    I don't want to put myself up as a Sugar expert here, because I'm not. From my limited experience, I would say your assessment is fair enough. I can add that he is very much a family man. He also has a sense of humour in a gruff, rough diamond sort of way.

People tended to like him, or respect him, and often both, but nobody wanted to get on his wrong side.

That hectoring management style was kind of fashionable in the seventies and eighties but is a bit passe now. There is something of the East End about it. I think programmes like the Sweeney tended to encourage it. It had its day, but in the end it's a bit tedious and not necessarily a model for problem-solving in the 21st Century.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

There are some obvious parallels but they shouldn't be carried to far. Boris is not trying to pull off a coup.
    Last year Boris gave us unlawful prorogation and lying to the Palace, an election in which he ducked scrutiny and deployed false social media messaging, and with escape from judicial scrutiny planned. Are you sure Boris is not in the coup business?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

Last year Boris gave us unlawful prorogation and lying to the Palace, an election in which he ducked scrutiny and deployed false social media messaging, and with escape from judicial scrutiny planned. Are you sure Boris is not in the coup business?
    Well I don't think his moral compass would restrain him if the occasion arose but it hasn't, it won't and he'd probably balls it up if it did.

Different matter in the States. I think their Institutions have undergone a significant stress test. Looks like they are going to pass, but if the margin of victory had been a little closer?

My confidence in US Democracy has been seriously undermined.
This discussion has been closed.