Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Punters make it a 65% chance that Johnson will still be PM on Jan 1 2022 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    Bakers always happier when there is a big tent involved.

Here in Kirklees btw, Labour council has lost majority due to Corbyn resignations.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

ping said:

Omnium said:

@MikeSmithson

Is Smarkets a firm we can trust in your view? My last interaction with them was them saying they'd charge me for having an inactive account, and clearly it was only inactive because they were so poor.

Do you (or others) know who their current backers are now?

You seem reasonably positive about them in that you're posting their prices, but I presume you'll have pondered their profile a little beforehand.

Smarkets sbk app has good odds on premier league football, often beating betfair - and all without commission.

I can recommend.

Be aware though, their multiple odds are a bit scammy - they multiply the odds then cut them a bit. Also their limits are a bit crap.

But for single bets on major sports, sbk is a decent enough bookie, imo
    Everyone needs to move to Betdaq. Faultless this POTUS cycle
    Yes, I'll be doing that as soon as Betfair pay out. Maybe Betfair know people will be doing that, which is why they are reluctant to settle.
    Are we being a bit unfair to Betfair??

The cynic in me says that they are running the markets as long as than can for the extra commission.

But, then again, it`s all to do with that word "projected" isn`t it? Thinking it through, projected by a news network isn`t sufficient, but that in combination with a Trump concession would be sufficient, I`d say.

In the absence of a concession I guess it`s state certification which, I suppose, "projects" the winner of that state.

I think I`d give BF the benefit of the doubt on this as long as they settle on state certification.
    If Betfair did not mean projected, they should not have said projected. It's probably cock-up rather than conspiracy to earn more commission but this is not the first time Betfair has done this on political markets. Some burnt their fingers on Brexit, others on Theresa May's resignation. If there is a conspiracy, it is imo more likely to protect multi-million pound layers than commission.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Scott_xP said:
    Whether that's bullying or not, that's pretty poor behaviour.

You know, I might tell my CFO that something he did was "crap".

But I'd never say that to a junior employee.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    MikeL said:

Pulpstar said:

It's beyond ridiculous that Betfair has the Georgia market still up, the result is now certified.

Has it been certified?

CNN saying it will be certified later today. I can't see any report saying it has actually been certified.

Next step is Governor has to sign off Electoral College votes tomorrow - how can we be sure he will do this?
    I agree. Who would want to go first? They will hold off wontbthey, and talk amongst themselves 😕
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Surely "double jeopardy" protections don't apply to parties like Labour?
    "Double jeopardy" is Americanese for a rule in criminal law which no longer applies in E & W and was called autrefois acquit when it did, and has no conceivable relevance to Corbyn's case.

Pardon, literally, my French. They must have named it before we got our sovereignty back.
    It isn't strictly true that it no longer exists in England & Wales. There were exceptions introduced in 2003 for specified serious offences where there is compelling new evidence. You can still argue autrefois acquit if it's shoplifting or even if it's more serious but there's no game-changing new evidence. And of course you can still argue autrefois convict - the other type of double jeopardy where you've already been convicted and paid your penalty.
    Absolutely right, culpable imprecision on my part.

The key thing with legal French is that it is correct to pronounce it as unFrenchly as possible: oaterfoys, no namby-pamby r-rolling autrefois nonsense.
    Theydon BOYZ :lol:
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

What you've described is how a normal person would behave. It's worth noting that it's not how things go down within the Civil Service...
  • Options
    Sounds like Mrs Patel has modelled herself on Bad Al, I mean Malcolm Tucker.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:
    Please, people, you might think of a clever pun, but..
    don't rise to it
    Bread puns are just a pain.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,943
    rcs1000 said:

My first employer used to say that one of the joys of being the boss was staff telling him to fuck off. Didn't do it often, but it did happen.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

ping said:

Omnium said:

@MikeSmithson

Is Smarkets a firm we can trust in your view? My last interaction with them was them saying they'd charge me for having an inactive account, and clearly it was only inactive because they were so poor.

You seem reasonably positive about them in that you're posting their prices, but I presume you'll have pondered their profile a little beforehand.

Smarkets sbk app has good odds on premier league football, often beating betfair - and all without commission.

I can recommend.

Be aware though, their multiple odds are a bit scammy - they multiply the odds then cut them a bit. Also their limits are a bit crap.

Yes, I'll be doing that as soon as Betfair pay out. Maybe Betfair know people will be doing that, which is why they are reluctant to settle.

The cynic in me says that they are running the markets as long as than can for the extra commission.

But, then again, it`s all to do with that word "projected" isn`t it? Thinking it through, projected by a news network isn`t sufficient, but that in combination with a Trump concession would be sufficient, I`d say.

In the absence of a concession I guess it`s state certification which, I suppose, "projects" the winner of that state.

I think I`d give BF the benefit of the doubt on this as long as they settle on state certification.
    If Betfair did not mean projected, they should not have said projected. It's probably cock-up rather than conspiracy to earn more commission but this is not the first time Betfair has done this on political markets. Some burnt their fingers on Brexit, others on Theresa May's resignation. If there is a conspiracy, it is imo more likely to protect multi-million pound layers than commission.
    If the electoral college votes were flipped by nefarious governors, SoS and legislatures (They won't be) - Betfair has the mother of all false markets on their hands.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

He's a satirical writer so I assume the dialogue is fictional. Isn't Patel accused of bullying senior staff rather than junior employees?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

I can't tell if it's true, or a trying-to-be-funny fabrication. Guessing the latter, which itself is very poor. Can't see The Times, though.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,419
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

You think Priti went on a rant about her 'little legs'?? I'd want a lip reader on the CCTV footage before I accepted that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

I can't tell if it's true, or a trying-to-be-funny fabrication. Guessing the latter, which itself is very poor. Can't see The Times, though.
    https://twitter.com/drew_carver/status/1329841100920672258
    https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1329841313144070144
  • Options

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

ping said:

Omnium said:

@MikeSmithson

I can recommend.

Yeah, well they could be in trouble with multimillion pound layers for taking bets on an event that has finished and the result is known.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Surely "double jeopardy" protections don't apply to parties like Labour?
    "Double jeopardy" is Americanese for a rule in criminal law which no longer applies in E & W and was called autrefois acquit when it did, and has no conceivable relevance to Corbyn's case.

Pardon, literally, my French. They must have named it before we got our sovereignty back.
    It isn't strictly true that it no longer exists in England & Wales. There were exceptions introduced in 2003 for specified serious offences where there is compelling new evidence. You can still argue autrefois acquit if it's shoplifting or even if it's more serious but there's no game-changing new evidence. And of course you can still argue autrefois convict - the other type of double jeopardy where you've already been convicted and paid your penalty.
    Absolutely right, culpable imprecision on my part.

The key thing with legal French is that it is correct to pronounce it as unFrenchly as possible: oaterfoys, no namby-pamby r-rolling autrefois nonsense.
    Theydon BOYZ :lol:
    But the Scots pronounce 'assiette' as 'ashet', which isn't too bad.
  • Options
    Reeves has also complained about Deloitte, claiming a lack of ‘experience’ on PPE procurement. It will be interesting to learn if she has made any similar comment to the Welsh Government, who just two months ago procured with Deloitte Consultancy Services to help arrange supply of PPE.

https://order-order.com/2020/11/20/exclusive-goves-scorching-letter-demands-answers-on-labours-ppe-hypocrisy/
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    20,252 new cases.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Try Bypass-Paywalls
    https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

• Options

Reeves has also complained about Deloitte, claiming a lack of ‘experience’ on PPE procurement. It will be interesting to learn if she has made any similar comment to the Welsh Government, who just two months ago procured with Deloitte Consultancy Services to help arrange supply of PPE.

https://order-order.com/2020/11/20/exclusive-goves-scorching-letter-demands-answers-on-labours-ppe-hypocrisy/

Why would an MP in an English seat complain about devolved procurement decisions in Wales?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

I guess this is one of those situations where because people weren't sure that it was obviously made up, she's obviously guilty...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Thanks. Very weak.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Another day, another soft soap article on Lewis Hamilton on the BBC website....Whoever is doing his PR, certainly earning their money.

You have posted before about this. Do you suspect a ramp for Spoty?
    Well....I know he just won the F1 championship again and equalled Schumacher, but there really seems to be OTT coverage. It has been literally every single day a new article for the past couple of weeks. BBC News, BBC Sport, and big focus on much wider aspects of his life.

Now is there anything coming up in the near future, where a raised positive media presence would help....
    Could be that, I suppose. Although I don't think he needs it. He's a big brand. Worthy Spoty fav but I've had a nibble of Rashford at 3.85. If they put him on the shortlist I think he wins it. But will they?
    I was thinking you could back rashford in the win market and lay him in the top 3 market. Reasoning being if he's in the lineup he wins. But the price differences arent that great so I'm guessing plenty of others are thinking along the same lines..
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    I'd put it more like an 80% chance. He won't want to serve as PM for less time than May if he can help it, and with a big majority they can survive bad polling and local results, so unless he gives up he can cling on il then.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,377
    UK cases by specimen date

• Options
    One for the anti-wokers (well I am too to be fairness, but all things in moderation) to get excited by - main page BBC 'Is it still ok to read Harry Potter?'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/5DdBBnrBnQt6vD2pVjZFs1Z/is-it-still-ok-to-read-harry-potter
  • Options
    UK cases by specimen date and scaled to 100k population

• Options
    UK local R

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

ping said:

Omnium said:

@MikeSmithson

I can recommend.

If the electoral college votes were flipped by nefarious governors, SoS and legislatures (They won't be) - Betfair has the mother of all false markets on their hands.
    If anything that is an argument for getting the rules right then settling on them. The rules say projected so they should settle on projected. They should, of course, have specified who was to make the projection. Betfair's racing markets are settled on the day, not on what happens a week later if the winner tests positive for a banned substance and is retrospectively disqualified.

As it happens, Betfair has settled most of the states as projected with just six left open, so they are not even consistent. Probably Betfair dashed off some rules for each market without stopping to think what might happen on the night, settled most of them in good faith and only then realised that Trump was not planning to go quietly into the night.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

You can tell it's not real. As it is written she says fucking. She would have said fuckin.
  • Options
    UK case summary

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    geoffw said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Try Bypass-Paywalls
    https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

Or "theft" as it is otherwise called.
  • Options
    UK hospitals

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    rcs1000 said:

Lamar Alexander is the latest Senator urging Trump to concede and begin the Biden transition.

So, that's Romney, Sasse and Alexander. Plus, probably Lisa Murkowski and Susan Collins.

A few more and there will be enough for an impeachment...
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

You think Priti went on a rant about her 'little legs'?? I'd want a lip reader on the CCTV footage before I accepted that.
    Sounds implausible. It sounds like she is a bad person to work for, and the defences of being an inadvertent bully are pretty darn weak, but best to stick to more credible stuff unless that can be verified.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

20,252 new cases.

Fourth day in a row with a week-to-week fall in cases in England. 17845 v 24540 last Friday (and 20268 the week before).

Decline started 11 days after the start of lockdown, which lines up pretty well with incubation period plus time to get tested.
  • Options
    UK deaths

• Options
    UK R

From case data

From hospital admission data

• Options
    Scott_xP said:
    So it's not over yet as he can request a state recount? Ugh.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

He's a satirical writer so I assume the dialogue is fictional. Isn't Patel accused of bullying senior staff rather than junior employees?
    Not according to Gus O'Donnell. He said the bullying was to Junior members of staff. He was quite specific. In three different departmets. He appeared to have no axes to grind.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

20,252 new cases.

Fourth day in a row with a week-to-week fall in cases in England. 17845 v 24540 last Friday (and 20268 the week before).

Decline started 11 days after the start of lockdown, which lines up pretty well with incubation period plus time to get tested.
    Or it could be due to half term in schools -- an under-18s lockdown, if you will, consistent with the view that children might not get ill but they can certainly spread the virus.
  • Options

Sounds like Mrs Patel has modelled herself on Bad Al, I mean Malcolm Tucker.

Ever since The Thick of It I have been worried some people in politics will model themselves on Tucker, as he mad acting that way cool and placed in upfront.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited November 2020
    Pulpstar said:

It's beyond ridiculous that Betfair has the Georgia market still up, the result is now certified.

Bang goes my latest theory then - of overall winner settled 23/11 on cert and settlement of PA and MI. They ought to have settled GA today if they were following that logic. If 23/11 goes by without them settling Biden as WINNER I can only think they will wait until the EC meeting on 14/12.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Sounds implausible. It sounds like she is a bad person to work for, and the defences of being an inadvertent bully are pretty darn weak, but best to stick to more credible stuff unless that can be verified.
    I'd taken that tale as satire rather than history.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Another day, another soft soap article on Lewis Hamilton on the BBC website....Whoever is doing his PR, certainly earning their money.

Well....I know he just won the F1 championship again and equalled Schumacher, but there really seems to be OTT coverage. It has been literally every single day a new article for the past couple of weeks. BBC News, BBC Sport, and big focus on much wider aspects of his life.

Now is there anything coming up in the near future, where a raised positive media presence would help....
    He just won the F1 championship and he just equalled and beat Schumacher's records. So it is news.

There was a lot of news when Liverpool won their championship too.
    There is coverage and there is....they should rename this tab, /sport/LewisHamilton.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1
    Seems fair enough considering what the link is called. He's literally just won and broken all the records, what else should be spoken about on that tab?

When Liverpool won the Premier League then https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league might as well have been called sport/liverpool
    It can be dialed down a notch nevertheless. He's one of the greatest ever, and that's a story with a lot of angles to cover, but even Liverpool winning had limits.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

I guess this is one of those situations where because people weren't sure that it was obviously made up, she's obviously guilty...
    I was taken in.

I apologise.

• Options

IshmaelZ said:

Hancock sounding very impressive today.

He's really been tested by fire this year and is probably the most improved Secretary of State. Really grown into the role.
    I think everyone - the public, media, and politicians - are pretty bad at figuring out what makes a good Secretary of State. But whatever problems have existed he appears to be at the least competent in presenting and being on top of his brief to the extent he is able.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

The ignorance from some here with regards to bullying is making it seem more and more obvious why some people talk to others in the way they do.

I have been bullied throughout my life, by those much taller and those much smaller than me. By all sorts of personalities, by people of all backgrounds.

The idea that Patel couldn't bully somebody because she isn't tall shows a real lack of understanding and really undermines any comments they might make about bullying now or in the future.

As some of you know, I take a hard line on bullying and I am sure that is informed by my post history. I am sure some of you think I overreact - but the comments by some today have really disappointed me, I have to be honest.

I'm going to take another breather away from this site for a while, all the best.

I sorry to hear all of that @CorrectHorseBattery and I know from my own experience how you stand up for others when you see it.

Don’t stay away too long, you make a valuable contribution to the site.
    Well said, and well said CorrectHorseBattery.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Bang goes my latest theory then - of overall winner settled 23/11 on cert and settlement of PA and MI. They ought to have settled GA today if they were following that logic. If 23/11 goes by without them settling Biden as WINNER I can only think they will wait until the EC meeting on 14/12.
    There is a "safe harbor" deadline the week before the Electoral College votes, so it is possible Betfair might settle then.
    https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/IF/IF11641
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    Roy_G_Biv said:

isam said:
    Please, people, you might think of a clever pun, but..
    don't rise to it
    Corbyn strikes bake?
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Certainly looks that way, but in the heat of the moment when someone is found to have done wrong people are generally a bit quick to believe anything, even if it is meant to be satire or exagerration. We've all done it with people we dislike, believing a partisan account (even if not meant to be believed) and having to roll it back. I have to be wary of believing Corbyn stories at first glance for that very reason.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

You've got to be kidding me!
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Could be that, I suppose. Although I don't think he needs it. He's a big brand. Worthy Spoty fav but I've had a nibble of Rashford at 3.85. If they put him on the shortlist I think he wins it. But will they?
    I was thinking you could back rashford in the win market and lay him in the top 3 market. Reasoning being if he's in the lineup he wins. But the price differences arent that great so I'm guessing plenty of others are thinking along the same lines..
    I considered exactly that and I think it just works. But I'm only doing a tenner so it wasn't really worth complicating matters. So fingers crossed they put him on the list.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Absolutely, he should be widely applauded for it. How we regulate social media is key to the survival of western democracy. We are seeing into a potential future here looking at how divided the US has become. Facebook and other companies profit from taking us there. I don't have the answers but the discussion needs to be had and ideas on regulation tested and challenged. Well done Mr Collins.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Certainly looks that way, but in the heat of the moment when someone is found to have done wrong people are generally a bit quick to believe anything, even if it is meant to be satire or exagerration. We've all done it with people we dislike, believing a partisan account (even if not meant to be believed) and having to roll it back. I have to be wary of believing Corbyn stories at first glance for that very reason.
    Well said.
    I was beginning to think everyone was losing their minds on here, with Conservatives pitching milquetoast excuses as to why the proven-bully Patel can't possibly be a bully, and then people getting suckered in by obvious satire, presumably because they are against the Tories and are only too willing to believe that shouting at cleaners is just what Tories do.
    Relieved to see that people are noticing their mistakes. Well, some people at least.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

There is still £16k at 1.02. Up from £10k a few mins ago. Who is laying this??
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

There is a "safe harbor" deadline the week before the Electoral College votes, so it is possible Betfair might settle then.
    Please could the US election authorities make their electoral system a little bit more complex, opaque and multi layered for next time. It is far too straightforward for a modern democracy.
  • Options
    The amount matched at Betfair on WH2020 is now £840m - so another £47m has been matched since this morning. Mental!
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

People wanting to release money?
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Pro_Rata said:

Bakers always happier when there is a big tent involved.

Here in Kirklees btw, Labour council has lost majority due to Corbyn resignations.

That is the public explanation and one of the councillors is married to the former Corbynite MP Thelma Walker. However I believe there are also competence arguments about the leadership of the Labour group.
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    edited November 2020
    Stocky said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

Someone with £120 spare who thinks they've spotted a future trading opportunity. Sell and 1.02, and when the GOP get a state-wide recount, sell at a slightly higher price.
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    edited November 2020

The amount matched at Betfair on WH2020 is now £840m - so another £47m has been matched since this morning. Mental!

Welcome!

Half mental, at least. Half those bets are going to win.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I considered exactly that and I think it just works. But I'm only doing a tenner so it wasn't really worth complicating matters. So fingers crossed they put him on the list.
    I doubt they will , He hasn't distinguished himself in his sport this year especially. Crazy and not like for like if up up against strong sport candidates like Hamilton (who is woke enough anyway for the woke vote) and even Ronnie O Sullivan (winning the worlds at 45)
  • Options

Stocky said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

But why offer money at 1.02 when it will settle at 1 because the state has certified results today?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

But why offer money at 1.02 when it will settle at 1 because the state has certified results today?
    Recount coming down the pike
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Gaussian said:

20,252 new cases.

Or it could be due to half term in schools -- an under-18s lockdown, if you will, consistent with the view that children might not get ill but they can certainly spread the virus.
    I think half term was reflected in the plateau of reported cases averaging around 20k per day in England from the end of October up to Nov 11. Then there was a bit of a spike of about five days reflecting back-to-school and pre-lockdown activity, followed now by four days of falls reflecting start of lockdown on Nov 5.

Also, reported cases in Wales look like they're starting to go up again in the last couple of days, corresponding to their lockdown ending on Nov 9. Their recent peak in reported cases was around Nov 2, corresponding to the start of the firebreak on Oct 23.

To me that looks like a pretty consistent picture of around 10 days delay from any change in conditions to reported cases.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

get yer money quicker ,maybe want a punt tonight? Gamblers can be irrational i know
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Right. Interesting. Maybe 8 Dec then. And if they miss that 14 Dec. I do think they need a distinct and relevant event now. There has to be logic and some compliance with the wording of their rules. They can't just use their free floating subjective judgment.
  • Options
    The results of the latest ONS release for case estimates in England

• Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Welcome!

Half mental, at least. Half those bets are going to win.
    A lot of the money is just churn though - backing then laying ,getting a position
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

My first employer used to say that one of the joys of being the boss was staff telling him to fuck off. Didn't do it often, but it did happen.
    A good friend of mine who directed TV commercials-He did 'Levi's laundrette' -among others was so intimidating to his crew that when shooting a Tonka Toy ad in Italy he was walking backwards and though people could see what was happening no one had the courage to warn him that there was a cliff behind him. He fell and died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5d484OpO06M
  • Options

The £840 million is almost certainly mainly people (or automated bots) trading in and out (and in any case should be cut in half). The matches since this morning will be a mixture of trading and punters cashing out so they can bet elsewhere, or because they are tired of waiting or are afraid Betfair might settle on the "wrong" result: there are at least six people who might plausibly be the next president, even if Betfair rules say they can only settle on two of them.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

A good friend of mine who directed TV commercials-He did 'Levi's laundrette' -among others was so intimidating to his crew that when shooting a Tonka Toy ad in Italy he was walking backwards and though people could see what was happening no one had the courage to warn him that there was a cliff behind him. He fell and died.

I heard that one on the grapevine
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I doubt they will , He hasn't distinguished himself in his sport this year especially. Crazy and not like for like if up up against strong sport candidates like Hamilton (who is woke enough anyway for the woke vote) and even Ronnie O Sullivan (winning the worlds at 45)
    Well he's banged in a few for club and country. But, yes, I take the point and you might be right. They have a bit of a call to make. We'll see.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    If that vaccine timetable is accurate the government must know something about the AZ vaccine that we don't. There's no way we have enough doses from Pfizer and Moderna to get everyone a dose by the end of April.
  • Options

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

We started at the same time and shared a name. We worked together in Almeria for a couple of weeks. A nice guy until he was under pressure
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Alistair said:

Pulpstar said:

get yer money quicker ,maybe want a punt tonight? Gamblers can be irrational i know
    I do hope that there are no irrational gamblers on this site!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Well he's banged in a few for club and country. But, yes, I take the point and you might be right. They have a bit of a call to make. We'll see.
    Two hurdles, I think. First is to be nominated by the BBC. Which other footballers is he up against? Second, the public vote. As it happens, I think the value is in the place market: that he will be nominated but the public might vote for the greater sporting achievements of others. You of course might say he is uncertain to be nominated but certain to win if he is, so use the win market.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If that vaccine timetable is accurate the government must know something about the AZ vaccine that we don't. There's no way we have enough doses from Pfizer and Moderna to get everyone a dose by the end of April.

I would love to think so, but evidence of government planning so far has so often been over promise, under deliver based on far too optimistic estimates of timelines. Remember the millions of antibody tests in a few weeks...
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

Gaussian said:

20,252 new cases.

I think half term was reflected in the plateau of reported cases averaging around 20k per day in England from the end of October up to Nov 11. Then there was a bit of a spike of about five days reflecting back-to-school and pre-lockdown activity, followed now by four days of falls reflecting start of lockdown on Nov 5.

Also, reported cases in Wales look like they're starting to go up again in the last couple of days, corresponding to their lockdown ending on Nov 9. Their recent peak in reported cases was around Nov 2, corresponding to the start of the firebreak on Oct 23.

To me that looks like a pretty consistent picture of around 10 days delay from any change in conditions to reported cases.
    Wales could also be schools though. What about the different regional tiers? Are their timings reflected in the data?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Evening all :)

I can honestly say I've never watched a Briefing from the Government during Covid. However, I thought I would give Hancock's Half-Hour a chance to see if it was as good as the original.

It's not really about imparting information - it's part pep talk and part upbeat hopeful message. "We'll all get through this" would be the more apposite maxim for the podium. I didn't learn anything new but I've heard so many briefings, presentations and workshops predicated on wholly unrealistic objectives, timetables and expectations that Hancock's was nothing unusual.

It's difficult to challenge someone cold on these assertions but an hour later and some of his claims sound about as plausible as the notion 40,000 people work for Hampshire County Council.

https://documents.hants.gov.uk/corporate/Annual-Workforce-Report.pdf
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Nigelb said:
    Absolutely, he should be widely applauded for it. How we regulate social media is key to the survival of western democracy. We are seeing into a potential future here looking at how divided the US has become. Facebook and other companies profit from taking us there. I don't have the answers but the discussion needs to be had and ideas on regulation tested and challenged. Well done Mr Collins.
    He absolutely should not be applauded for it what he in effect wants is social media which only says things he approves of. If you think he should be applauded I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you havent read much of what he proposes

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20201116/02212745712/uk-politician-demands-impossible-social-media-companies-must-not-take-down-political-speech-must-block-disinformation.shtml
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Well said.
    I was beginning to think everyone was losing their minds on here, with Conservatives pitching milquetoast excuses as to why the proven-bully Patel can't possibly be a bully, and then people getting suckered in by obvious satire, presumably because they are against the Tories and are only too willing to believe that shouting at cleaners is just what Tories do.
    Relieved to see that people are noticing their mistakes. Well, some people at least.
    Which is why normal politicians don't take the risk; if X's image is even slightly dented, they have to go, lest the stain damages the party brand. Whatever happens now, a slice of the public will hear the word "Priti" and think "bully". It may be harsh on the individual, but it's not that harsh, and them's the rules. Exhibit A is Dom in Durham. It seems Boris is too dim to learn the lesson.

Meanwhile, it might be that PP shouldn't have been unaware of the effect of her actions;

https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/1329846891203457026?s=19
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,617
    Scott_xP said:
    Just strong performance management of an out of touch public schoolboy?

🙄
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,720
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/20/chinese-flower-fritillaria-delavayi-evolved-less-visible-pickers

O/T but a nice Friday afternoon diversion - a plant that has evolved to hide from flower-pickers.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Anyway, while there's certifying, there's still counting continuing in the US elections a mere seventeen days after polling.

Currently, according to CBS News, Biden has 79,662,486 and Trump has 73,681.959 so it's about a 5,980,000 lead for Biden (51.0%-47.2%).

Some states are now calling 100% counted so presumably that makes it a final result. Those states not at 99 or 100% in terms of votes counted are:

Washington DC (95%)
    Illinois (98%)
    Iowa (98%)
    Maine (92%)
    Maryland (95%)
    Massachusetts (95%)
    New York (84%)
    Ohio (97%)

I don't know why New York is so slow - Westchester County is only 56% counted and Manhattan is barely 60% counted. Both are strong Biden areas and in theory there could be another 200,000 Biden votes in Manhattan alone.

I'm confident now Biden will cross 80 million votes and may end up as much as 6.25 million votes ahead of Trump - we'll see.
  • Options
    the BBC currently have an headline on their webite saying (no lie) "who is Priti Patel" then on the adjacent headline go on about two WAGS dispute in the high court about essentially a social media spat with the assumed knowledge that everyone will know who they are. Rather depressing
  • Options
    Canada seeing massive increase in Covid cases

Their version of Witty predicting 60k cases a day in a few weeks.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

We started at the same time and shared a name. We worked together in Almeria for a couple of weeks. A nice guy until he was under pressure
    Probably under pressure because like Alexander The Great he had no more worlds to conquer after the Levis ad
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    stodge said:

Anyway, while there's certifying, there's still counting continuing in the US elections a mere seventeen days after polling.

Currently, according to CBS News, Biden has 79,662,486 and Trump has 73,681.959 so it's about a 5,980,000 lead for Biden (51.0%-47.2%).

Some states are now calling 100% counted so presumably that makes it a final result. Those states not at 99 or 100% in terms of votes counted are:

Washington DC (95%)
    Illinois (98%)
    Iowa (98%)
    Maine (92%)
    Maryland (95%)
    Massachusetts (95%)
    New York (84%)
    Ohio (97%)

I don't know why New York is so slow - Westchester County is only 56% counted and Manhattan is barely 60% counted. Both are strong Biden areas and in theory there could be another 200,000 Biden votes in Manhattan alone.

I'm confident now Biden will cross 80 million votes and may end up as much as 6.25 million votes ahead of Trump - we'll see.

As I've said before NYS is slow because historically we didn't have early voting until last year, and normally absentee ballots are only issued if you have a valid reason to request one such as illness or planned absence from the county. (in practice the reasons weren't verified). We have had a huge extra number of absentee ballots as fear of contracting Covid by attending the polling place in person is allowed this year as "illness". By law the absentee ballots can't begin to be counted until after polls have closed. The county boards of elections simply aren't set up to handle the amount.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,174
    nichomar said:

I gather from certain posts on the last thread that today is all about John Bercow and Diane Abbott. I hadn't heard much about either of them recently, any clues on why everyone's talking about them?

Bercow being refused his Peerage by Boris as a result of allegations of bullying and Priti, er, not being a bully.

Diane Abbot? Who cares?
    But the enquiry said she was a bully beyond the bounds of ministerial conduct the man who did the enquiry has resigned, or have I got it all wrong.
    But Johnson who is the ultimate arbiter disagreed. I should have perhaps added "according to Johnson" to my statement. It says as much about Johnson as it does Ms. Patel.

Johnson's exonoration of Priti seems to have gone down well on this board and on the backbenches, so job done!
  • Options

the BBC currently have an headline on their webite saying (no lie) "who is Priti Patel" then on the adjacent headline go on about two WAGS dispute in the high court about essentially a social media spat with the assumed knowledge that everyone will know who they are. Rather depressing

Why should politicians be the most interesting or well known?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Washington DC (95%)
    Illinois (98%)
    Iowa (98%)
    Maine (92%)
    Maryland (95%)
    Massachusetts (95%)
    New York (84%)
    Ohio (97%)

So 52:48 then?
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited November 2020

Why should politicians be the most interesting or well known?
    Well she is the Home Secretary and part of a small group of people taking extraordinary decisions over life and how we live it in this year especially. The BBC could try and get the nation to point where it does not need headlines like that especially given the unique way they are funded
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:
    He absolutely should not be applauded for it what he in effect wants is social media which only says things he approves of. If you think he should be applauded I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you havent read much of what he proposes

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20201116/02212745712/uk-politician-demands-impossible-social-media-companies-must-not-take-down-political-speech-must-block-disinformation.shtml
    He has a point, but no solution.
    It is, at least, a start.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Nigelb said:

Pagan2 said:

Nigelb said:

He has a point, but no solution.
    It is, at least, a start.
    Don't get me wrong I don't like disinformation either but given a choice between as we are and politicians being control of what can be said I say where we are is the lesser of two evils. The latter is just a step closer to the china situation. Plus lets face it our conventional media on all sides put out there fair share of disinformation....I won't even mention lib dem election leaflets or every word that comes out of a politicians mouth
  • Options

Roy_G_Biv said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Well said.
    Which is why normal politicians don't take the risk; if X's image is even slightly dented, they have to go, lest the stain damages the party brand. Whatever happens now, a slice of the public will hear the word "Priti" and think "bully". It may be harsh on the individual, but it's not that harsh, and them's the rules. Exhibit A is Dom in Durham. It seems Boris is too dim to learn the lesson.

Meanwhile, it might be that PP shouldn't have been unaware of the effect of her actions;

https://twitter.com/BBCVickiYoung/status/1329846891203457026?s=19
    He is also suing her/the Home Office for constructive dismissal.
    The case won’t be heard until next autumn,
This discussion has been closed.