Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Team Trump tries to fight the result using the the old “piles of paper” wheeze – politicalbetting.co

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,627
    "South Yorkshire Police recorded me for religious hate for commenting that my cat might be a Methodist"

https://thecritic.co.uk/the-british-twitter-stasi/
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,404

Winning....

Daily coronavirus cases are rising in all 50 states

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronavirus-cases-rising-50-states/

For some reason, this seems appropriate....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W60HP84-hJs
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,750

"I have no doubt we haven’t seen the last of [Cummings]. I can imagine Boris bringing him back to run the General Election campaign in 2024 when he’s trailing Keir Starmer in the polls with two weeks to go. "

Toby Young.

No, no, please make it stop.

If he was simply brought in for brief periods to help the party win it would likely be less of an issue.

But I thought Isaac Levido was supposed to have been the mastermind of the Tory 2019 campaign?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613

Sandpit said:

When on a German autobahn in my holiday hire car I would typically set cruise control to 150km/h.

Presumably high speeds in e-cars means that the range becomes far less than what's advertised?

What would the range be of a normal e-car today, if the full charge was used at about 80-85mph on a clear motorway ?

Aerodynamic drag is proportional to speed squared, so going 76mph instead of 62mph (123km/100km) results in 50% more aero drag, which is a huge amount of total drag and hence fuel consumption.

Electric cars generally hate motorways. So do petrol cars of course, but they can be recharged to full in 3 minutes.
    And that is why if we want a quick win on road transport CO2 emissions the speed limit should be reduced to 60 mph
    That's quite possibly the worst suggestion I've ever heard.
    Why?
    Because 70 mph is too slow as is. Especially when you have some idiot dawdling in the middle lane at 65 mph and you have an idiot in an Audi behind you.
    If you want to go faster take a train.
    That's 95% of the land area out of reach then. How would I get to Ullapool from the Flatlands, for example? (Something I did quite frequently before Covid)

I certainly don't find fuel consumption is 50% worse at 76mph than 62mph. 10-15% perhaps. Remember that you are also going 20% quicker so you spend 20% less time pushing air.

You don't solve problems like this by making things worse. You solve them by making things better.

If an electric car can do the same trip easily, than I'll have one. Until then...
    Train to Inverness and a hire car.

You can even take the sleeper and save a day of travelling.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Why princess nut nut, is it supposed to mean something?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    If three (Western) vaccines are approved this year - Oxford, Pfizer and Moderna - then that is great news for the world.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

When on a German autobahn in my holiday hire car I would typically set cruise control to 150km/h.

Presumably high speeds in e-cars means that the range becomes far less than what's advertised?

What would the range be of a normal e-car today, if the full charge was used at about 80-85mph on a clear motorway ?

Aerodynamic drag is proportional to speed squared, so going 76mph instead of 62mph (123km/100km) results in 50% more aero drag, which is a huge amount of total drag and hence fuel consumption.

Electric cars generally hate motorways. So do petrol cars of course, but they can be recharged to full in 3 minutes.
    And that is why if we want a quick win on road transport CO2 emissions the speed limit should be reduced to 60 mph
    Why?
    Because 70 mph is too slow as is. Especially when you have some idiot dawdling in the middle lane at 65 mph and you have an idiot in an Audi behind you.
    That's 95% of the land area out of reach then.
    Blame Beeching!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Andrew Neil currently engaged in some fairly hard core Covid data wrangling on the old Twitters
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited November 2020

Sandpit said:

Why?
    That's 95% of the land area out of reach then. How would I get to Ullapool from the Flatlands, for example? (Something I did quite frequently before Covid)

I certainly don't find fuel consumption is 50% worse at 76mph than 62mph. 10-15% perhaps. Remember that you are also going 20% quicker so you spend 20% less time pushing air.

You don't solve problems like this by making things worse. You solve them by making things better.

If an electric car can do the same trip easily, than I'll have one. Until then...

I believe a Model 3 Tesla can do something like 250 miles at 80mph...
    Indeed it can. It is what happens after the 250 miles that is the problem. It probably wouldn't do 250 miles with bikes on it, though...

We'll get there, but we aren't there yet.

I'm sure I was promised a nuclear powered car once. Where's my Ford Nucleon?

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

Sandpit said:

Why?

Indeed it can. It is what happens after the 250 miles that is the problem. It probably wouldn't do 250 miles with bikes on it, though...

I'm sure I was promised a nuclear powered car once, though. Where's my Ford Nucleon?

Go test drive electric, you won't want to go back to conventional. Charging is less hassle than filling up and cheaper, and nicer to drive as well. The acceleration is sensational.
  • Options
    eek said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Government seem to increasingly (and have done for some time) think they're operating under an American Presidential system of Government (and an American system freed of the checks and balances in that system, particularly restrictions on the ability to spend money), ignorant of the fact that they are supposed to draw their authority from the House of Commons, and are answerable to them. This has been made worse by Parliament giving away the ability to oversee and control Government actions during the pandemic which has left the Government effectively able to govern by ministerial fiat. Perhaps it is a good thing for the future that it has turned into such a disaster.

And however much the ousting of the malign influence of Cummings is a good thing, the situation is not improved if it has been replaced by the influence of Johnson's fiancee.
    This is the worst government in my lifetime by a country mile.
    You've got impressive typing skills for a sixteen month old.
    You are seriously arguing that May was worse - in what way?
    Yes of course I am. As too was Brown but despite party politics I can recognise May as worse.

May was a complete and utter failure. Incapable of compromising to get votes through Parliament, incapable of party leadership, incapable of working with other parties, incapable of facing voters and her ineptitude nearly led to Prime Minister Corbyn.

She was without a doubt the worst PM of my lifetime.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Why?
    That's 95% of the land area out of reach then.
    Blame Beeching!
    Lol. That's certainly true in a lot of England, but I'm not so sure about far flung parts of Scotland.

The problem with trains is that they take you to where there are people, and I don't always want that. :smile:
  • Options
    LadyG said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

IanB2 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

On the subject of wind power, something I am curious about. Not saying I have anything against wind power either. Given that energy is neither destroyed nor created and that wind power is basically kinetic energy generated by air moving from a high pressure area to a low pressure area. Our taking with windmills some of that kinetic energy to turn to electric must effect weather patterns. Maybe high pressure areas or low pressure areas dissipate more slowly. Is there any research on this and what the effects may be?

I've always wondered exactly the same thing. It has to slow the remaining wind down.
    Precisely I have never heard anyone talk about if it will change weather patterns. Just oh free energy....well experience tells me nothing is quite free
    There’s quite a lot of research on it. They make the immediate area less cold at night.
    hmm let me guess they make the immediate area less cold which then gets measured and used as proof of warming because that local weather station is providing higher tempratures than expected
    A pleasingly retro feel to that. The geo-, oceanic and satellite data are singing from identical hymn sheets, and you may have noticed that once we got snow and ice and winter and stuff, and now we don't.
    I tend to agree with you - the globe is warming, and humans are implicated - but I thought warmists were meant to avoid anecdata. "Snow will be a thing of the past"

https://www.climatedepot.com/2018/01/04/flashback-2000-snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-children-just-arent-going-to-know-what-snow-is-uk-independent/

We have had famously bitter, snowy winters in recent memory
    2017/18 was the last time it snowed (several times!) in London.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Why?

I'm sure I was promised a nuclear powered car once. Where's my Ford Nucleon?

I can do you a nucular-powered bus:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Bus

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,627
    BBC news reporting military conflict involving Ethiopia, Eritrea and the local government of the Tigray region.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

eek said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    The Government seem to increasingly (and have done for some time) think they're operating under an American Presidential system of Government (and an American system freed of the checks and balances in that system, particularly restrictions on the ability to spend money), ignorant of the fact that they are supposed to draw their authority from the House of Commons, and are answerable to them. This has been made worse by Parliament giving away the ability to oversee and control Government actions during the pandemic which has left the Government effectively able to govern by ministerial fiat. Perhaps it is a good thing for the future that it has turned into such a disaster.

And however much the ousting of the malign influence of Cummings is a good thing, the situation is not improved if it has been replaced by the influence of Johnson's fiancee.
    Yes of course I am. As too was Brown but despite party politics I can recognise May as worse.

May was a complete and utter failure. Incapable of compromising to get votes through Parliament, incapable of party leadership, incapable of working with other parties, incapable of facing voters and her ineptitude nearly led to Prime Minister Corbyn.

She was the worst, until BoZo trumped her for utter vacuous uselessness and mendacity.

The next one will be even worse, Patel or Gove imo, either of whom would be poisonous as well as crap.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    I hope it doesn't lose much in translation, because following the German narration it made me laugh out loud.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Andrew Neil currently engaged in some fairly hard core Covid data wrangling on the old Twitters

Golly, I was just reading him retreading some tired old Scotch currency tropes. What a renaissance guy he is!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

BBC news reporting military conflict involving Ethiopia, Eritrea and the local government of the Tigray region.

A real mess. Ethiopia had appeared to be really getting its act together politically.
  • Options
    isam said:

alex_ said:

Yet another nail in the coffin of the idea that there was some fantasy fraud operation that produced thousands of isolated votes for Biden whilst leaving the other down ballot races untouched.
    Didn’t Biden win a couple of States because the Libertarian candidate took votes off Trump? It was a guido
    Rubbish argument. How many Conservative MPs are there with under 50% of the vote. In a FPTP system 1st place counts not 50%
  • Options

I see on the news that Piers Corbyn got lifted again today.

He doesn't like Uber then?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

LadyG said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

IanB2 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

On the subject of wind power, something I am curious about. Not saying I have anything against wind power either. Given that energy is neither destroyed nor created and that wind power is basically kinetic energy generated by air moving from a high pressure area to a low pressure area. Our taking with windmills some of that kinetic energy to turn to electric must effect weather patterns. Maybe high pressure areas or low pressure areas dissipate more slowly. Is there any research on this and what the effects may be?

I've always wondered exactly the same thing. It has to slow the remaining wind down.
    Precisely I have never heard anyone talk about if it will change weather patterns. Just oh free energy....well experience tells me nothing is quite free
    There’s quite a lot of research on it. They make the immediate area less cold at night.
    hmm let me guess they make the immediate area less cold which then gets measured and used as proof of warming because that local weather station is providing higher tempratures than expected
    A pleasingly retro feel to that. The geo-, oceanic and satellite data are singing from identical hymn sheets, and you may have noticed that once we got snow and ice and winter and stuff, and now we don't.
    I tend to agree with you - the globe is warming, and humans are implicated - but I thought warmists were meant to avoid anecdata. "Snow will be a thing of the past"

https://www.climatedepot.com/2018/01/04/flashback-2000-snowfalls-are-now-just-a-thing-of-the-past-children-just-arent-going-to-know-what-snow-is-uk-independent/

Whatever bacame of @hunchman who was, IIRC, regularly predicting an imminent iceage?
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Why?

I'm sure I was promised a nuclear powered car once, though. Where's my Ford Nucleon?

Go test drive electric, you won't want to go back to conventional. Charging is less hassle than filling up and cheaper, and nicer to drive as well. The acceleration is sensational.
    To be honest, I would agree with you for 90% of what most people do with their cars. I definitely would have one for general use about town or commuting (if I did any of that), but for Heading North? Not yet. My problem is that holidays used to be about 40% of my mileage (in place of getting on a plane to go somewhere warmer, so not as bad as it sounds).

Keeping an electric run-around and hiring one for other purposes might be an option I suppose, but it is expensive when compared with using a more adaptable car that you already own.

Perhaps we should be spending money on charging infrastructure instead of that white elephant train-set. Fast charging and chargers with the same geographic spread as petrol stations would get us 99% of the way there.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

I hope it doesn't lose much in translation, because following the German narration it made me laugh out loud.
    Ausezeichnet! It ought to be shown here exactly like that - in German with English subtitles. It would work perfectly, just like 'Vorsprung durch Technik' did.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,189
    LadyG said:

eek said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

She guaranteed a fairly terrible Brexit with her Red Lines Conference speech, which was entirely unnecessary, and painted the UK into a stupid corner. Until then a lot of Brexiteers would have happily settled for a period of time in the EEA, EFTA, whatever. She made that impossible. All else has flowed therefrom.

She was an autistic, linear, pedestrian, emphatic idiot at the precise time we needed a more intelligent and emollient Borisonian figure. Ironically, she'd now be a better manager of Covid than Boris: she'd be more like Merkel

The UK has been politically unlucky for a couple of decades.
    Why, whatever your PB moniker do you have to insist on using "autistic" as a term of disparagement?
  • Options

eek said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Never realised you were so young, Philip. Born after Churchill was elected PM then, youngster?
  • Options
    Can somebody please tell forriners to stop redirecting their ships to the EU? There are no barriers. The Remainers made it up - it is Project Fear...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54908129
  • Options

LadyG said:

IshmaelZ said:

Pagan2 said:

IanB2 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Whatever bacame of @hunchman who was, IIRC, regularly predicting an imminent iceage?
    He was a big fan of the wave theory of financial markets. And was predicting the imminent bankruptcy of the entire world in about 2017.

I don't think it happened.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

“I do not see, short of finding some type of fraud — which I haven’t heard of anything — I don’t see us in any serious way addressing a change in electors,” said Rusty Bowers, Arizona’s Republican House speaker, who says he’s been inundated with emails pleading for the legislature to intervene. “They are mandated by statute to choose according to the vote of the people"

People have a more tenuous connection with democracy than we'd like to think. See all those few people thinking the Queen might not sign various legislation they don't like and getting angry about her not 'saving' us (minus the people who don't genuinely think that, but pretend they do to be 'funny')
    So at last we have a plausible explanation for why Biden's price in the next President Market is still stuck up at 1.06. Some people genuinely think there is a legal challenge possible to the election result. It seems they are wrong, but at least you can see some kind of coherent argument, and at 16/1 they're prepared to back it.

I will sleep easier tonite.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Context - Fairbanks is one of Trump's biggest online cheerleaders
    Ein reich, ein volk, ein Trump !

https://twitter.com/CassandraRules/status/1327756743414337536
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Ausezeichnet! It ought to be shown here exactly like that - in German with English subtitles. It would work perfectly, just like 'Vorsprung durch Technik' did.
    Unfortunately, Vorsprung durch Technik always reminds me of one of those Nazi slogans like Arbeit macht frei, or Kraft durch Freude. Indeed an Audi could be a VdT-Wagen just as the Beetle was originally the KdF-Wagen.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Unfortunately, Vorsprung durch Technik always reminds me of one of those Nazi slogans like Arbeit macht frei, or Kraft durch Freude. Indeed an Audi could be a VdT-Wagen just as the Beetle was originally the KdF-Wagen.
    If three word slogans are the work of a would-be right wing autocrat, thank goodness Cummings fell on his sword when he did.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/1327601642880053250
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Why princess nut nut, is it supposed to mean something?

Apparently it’s reference to her looking like a squirrel.

I don’t know 🤔 can you see it?

https://imgur.com/gallery/YKaRe

Everybody loves squirrels though?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/1327601642880053250
    I think this time you will be right. I do suspect both blue bar charts are substantially taller than Mr Trump would appreciate.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Why?

Train to Inverness and a hire car.

You can even take the sleeper and save a day of travelling.
    With full camping kit and bicycles? And 2 changes of train?

It is actually quicker by car, even over that distance. And there's no sleeper this side of the Pennines.

Many moons ago there was a 'motorail' service on the sleeper trains but it was rather heavily subsidised if I recall. I hate to think what an equivalent service would cost now.

I know I'm a bit niche but everyone has their own reasons for wanting a car, and there will always be something they use it for where electric doesn't work yet (or is twice the price). The replacement has to be able perform the same job before everyone will want one.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Pulpstar said:

“ Four years of Leftists assaulting, murdering, and attempting to murder Trump supporters”

At least it’s sounds like she’s conceded the result. 😃
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    edited November 2020
    isam said:

alex_ said:

Yet another nail in the coffin of the idea that there was some fantasy fraud operation that produced thousands of isolated votes for Biden whilst leaving the other down ballot races untouched.
    Didn’t Biden win a couple of States because the Libertarian candidate took votes off Trump? It was a guido
    People like to do this thing after close elections where they take a third-party vote and add it to one of the candidates. But often if they hadn't stood it would actually be more like 50% wouldn't have voted, and the ones who did vote would only have broken 2:1, so the net effect is something more like 1/6 of the third-party vote. That might be enough to flip a Bush vs Gore type of margin but most races aren't that close.

Also in this election Trump was very polarizing, so it doesn't seem likely there were a lot of sympathizers who didn't vote for him. I don't think the polling was very clear one way or the other - ie sometimes you'd see people polling with and without the Libertarian, and sometimes Biden's lead went up without them.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"South Yorkshire Police recorded me for religious hate for commenting that my cat might be a Methodist"

I find that very disturbing and not British. Something is going very wrong with our policing.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    gealbhan said:

Pulpstar said:

“ Four years of Leftists assaulting, murdering, and attempting to murder Trump supporters”

At least it’s sounds like she’s conceded the result. 😃
    From the "Barr arrests no one," it would seem she is referring to the past 4 years.
    When, you know, supporting the President has had you in fear of your life...
  • Options
    edited November 2020

eristdoof said:

If three word slogans are the work of a would-be right wing autocrat, thank goodness Cummings fell on his sword when he did.
    The would be left-wing autocrats have tried a few too...

Britain Deserves Better
    Ambitions for Britain
    Forward, not Back

and, two three word slogans for the price of one...

A Better Plan, a Better Future
    For the Many, Not the Few

Perhaps parties should just leave the template text "Meaningless Slogan Here" on their campaign literature. It would make as much sense.

'Take Back Control' is probably the only one that ever worked.

• Options

isam said:

alex_ said:

People like to do this thing after close elections where they take a third-party vote and add it to one of the candidates. But often if they hadn't stood it would actually be more like 50% wouldn't have voted, and the ones who did vote would only have broken 2:1, so the net effect is something more like 1/6 of the third-party vote. That might be enough to flip a Bush vs Gore type of margin but most races aren't that close.

Also in this election Trump was very polarizing, so it doesn't seem likely there were a lot of sympathizers who didn't vote for him. I don't think the polling was very clear one way or the other - ie sometimes you'd see people polling with and without the Libertarian, and sometimes Biden's lead went up without them.
    Yup. It's add the UKIP vote to the Tories.
    Didn't predict the 2017 GE result very well, but was forcefully argued at the time.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

I find that very disturbing and not British. Something is going very wrong with our policing.
    Is there any other service that comes close to the loss of mass respect of a population to it in recent years? i know the BBC is trying hard but the police are tinpot and sinister now
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ironically. A wannabe Fascist is leaving.
    Just wasn't up to the gig. Maybe next time...
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Having had occasion to deal with SYP, they are regular guest stars on these kinds of stories.
    I would not tar all Police forces with their spectacular ignorance and incompetence.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Andy_JS said:

So much for that Peace Prize being a sign of the improvement in the times, poor chaps (and chapettes).
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Pulpstar said:

Ironically. A wannabe Fascist is leaving.
    Just wasn't up to the gig. Maybe next time...
    YESvember has had its moments
  • Options
    Well somebody isn't happy about the woke...

BBC and Channel 4 are 'cramping creativity' in comedy because they fear offending 'the woke', claims Have I Got News For You producer

'When someone announces their sensitivity, what they're really saying is, "I am a tyrant. You can't upset me. If you upset me I will destroy you," he said.

'You get these idiots on Twitter who are obviously wanting to be seen and heard in a very inordinate way and want – to use this expression – to "cancel" people.

'If you think about that, that's totalitarianism.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8949821/BBC-Channel-4-cramping-creativity-comedy.html
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    LA county has a population of 10 million, so those are really small numbers.
  • Options

eristdoof said:

Britain Deserves Better
    Ambitions for Britain
    Forward, not Back

Perhaps parties should just leave the template text "Meaningless Slogan Here" on their campaign literature. It would make as much sense.

"Take back control" worked? When, exactly did we "take back control"?
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

Arguably learning to drive on a manual now is pointless. Most new car sales are autos and as Robert says electric cars don’t have gears at all.

Taycan and e-Sport have 2 speed PDK.
  • Options
    RobD said:

They are, but they did really well during the first wave.....well until all the protests, then they saw a spike. Now it is ramping back up.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

RobD said:

They are, but they did really well during the first wave.....well until all the protests, then they saw a spike. Now it is ramping back up.
    I suppose "really small" isn't fair. Per capita the same as the UK.
  • Options

BBC and Channel 4 are 'cramping creativity' in comedy because they fear offending 'the woke', claims Have I Got News For You producer

'When someone announces their sensitivity, what they're really saying is, "I am a tyrant. You can't upset me. If you upset me I will destroy you," he said.

'You get these idiots on Twitter who are obviously wanting to be seen and heard in a very inordinate way and want – to use this expression – to "cancel" people.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8949821/BBC-Channel-4-cramping-creativity-comedy.html

It may be that those who say this is all overplayed are right, to an extent. It is possible to overreact to the level of the problem.

That said, it really is the case that some really do think people should not be allowed to offend others, I've literally seen that written and said and not even simply on national issues on social media. So while the fears could be magnified it is not simply an invention.

eristdoof said:

Britain Deserves Better
    Ambitions for Britain
    Forward, not Back

It worked as an effective political slogan as it was easy to remember and was easy to make have broad support for a variety of issues without being obviously stupid, whether it achieved what it promised is an entirely separate matter.
  • Options
    After all the talk about self driving cars....Uber getting out of that game.

https://techcrunch.com/2020/11/13/uber-in-talks-to-sell-atg-self-driving-unit-to-aurora/
  • Options

Arguably learning to drive on a manual now is pointless. Most new car sales are autos and as Robert says electric cars don’t have gears at all.

My friend has a Tesla, and he just realized he's not licensed to drive it in Japan. If you don't pass the test on a manual your license is limited to "cars with an automatic transmission", and his Tesla doesn't have a transmission...
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It may be that those who say this is all overplayed are right, to an extent. It is possible to overreact to the level of the problem.

That said, it really is the case that some really do think people should not be allowed to offend others, I've literally seen that written and said and not even simply on national issues on social media. So while the fears could be magnified it is not simply an invention.

eristdoof said:

Britain Deserves Better
    Ambitions for Britain
    Forward, not Back

It worked as an effective political slogan as it was easy to remember and was easy to make have broad support for a variety of issues without being obviously stupid, whether it achieved what it promised is an entirely separate matter.
    Exactly. As a slogan, it worked. A slogan isn't meant to deliver anything other than votes.

Talking of slogans, did everyone remember that "Make Britain Great Again" was once used by a UK political party? I doubt Donald Trump was paying much attention in 1979 though.
  • Options

isam said:

alex_ said:

iirc there have been claims of GOP dirty tricks with mysteriously-funded third party candidates with similar names to Democrats. I cannot remember the details or look for them right now.
  • Options

eek said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

David Cameron was our worst Prime Minister since Lord North. Theresa May, even on your charges, was merely unsuitable and ineffective.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,999

My friend has a Tesla, and he just realized he's not licensed to drive it in Japan. If you don't pass the test on a manual your license is limited to "cars with an automatic transmission", and his Tesla doesn't have a transmission...
    How people driving Leafs or i-MiEVs in Japan? Neither of those have transmissions.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Dura_Ace said:

How people driving Leafs or i-MiEVs in Japan? Neither of those have transmissions.
    Is a big electric wire not a transmission (of sorts)?
  • Options
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Manual licenses, I guess.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Andy_JS said:

Can these sort of thing turn up in an Enhanced CRB check, and deny you a job several years down the line?

Please can a Conservative government put an end to this thoughtcrime? If you’re not directly harassing or threatening someone, then there’s really no reason for police to get involved.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Scott_xP said:
    ‘Vicious and Cowardly’ - but not untrue?

If it were untrue, two of the PMs senior team wouldn’t have resigned this week.

So can we now take it that the PM’s 32 year old girlfriend, who holds no position at all in government, is running the show?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

isam said:

alex_ said:

iirc there have been claims of GOP dirty tricks with mysteriously-funded third party candidates with similar names to Democrats. I cannot remember the details or look for them right now.
    I don’t think you can ignore the possibility that all these attacks on the electoral process are laying the groundwork for future Republican electoral fraud that the Democrats will be powerless to challenge effectively.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Can these sort of thing turn up in an Enhanced CRB check, and deny you a job several years down the line?

Please can a Conservative government put an end to this thoughtcrime? If you’re not directly harassing or threatening someone, then there’s really no reason for police to get involved.
    The problem is that the cat - who is a Mormon - made an official police complaint.
  • Options

eek said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Never realised you were so young, Philip. Born after Churchill was elected PM then, youngster?
    You're setting Churchill as a bar as worst PM? That's ... unusual isn't it?

Yes I was born in the 80s. So Thatcher onwards is my lifetime.
This discussion has been closed.