Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Team Trump tries to fight the result using the the old “piles of paper” wheeze – politicalbetting.co

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    rcs1000 said:

Completely off topic, I just got the Nintendo Game & Watch. What a fabulous bit of nostalgia. Incredibly well made. Really, very impressive.

I sincerely hope they make Game & Watch versions of the early Zelda games (and possibly Advance Wars)

I don't think I ever got beyond A Link to the Past. There's great stuff in modern gaming, but the early 3D years were not kind with many properties, on the eye at least.
  • Options
    Re heating, insulation and heat pumps -- just a reminder that HMG is subsidising installation for the next few months under its "Green homes grant" scheme.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

2030 is an age away in AI development terms. I’d say better odds than not that drivers won’t be needed for cars by then. And if that happens, the economic forcing factors will mean it becomes quite rare for individuals to purchase, service and charge cars in large parts of the country.

As for the choice of drivetrain, it blows my mind with incentives and depreciation curves as they are, that anyone apart from apartment dwelllers or enthusiasts are still buying petrol or diesel new. Money down the toilet even today. No doubt the refuseniks will come crying for a taxpayer funded scrappage scheme when they realise what a poor decision they made buying petrol/diesel anytime after about 2024.

The government giving clear signals on the direction of the market (dressed up as a future ban) is great news because it lessens the scale of dissent when we get there.

Self driving cars are like speech recognition. It's easy to get to 99.9% (we got there with Dragon Dictate and IBM Naturally Speaking in 1999), but getting the last 0.1% that takes it from convenience feature on the highway, to actually be able to take full control of the car is not easy.

I'm in Phoenix next week and will try and travel in the Google self driving taxis while I'm there. It will be very interesting to experience.
    And of course unlike speech recognition mis-translating say one word in a 1000, a self driving car making a mistake once in a 1000 miles = massive increase in road traffic accidents.
    Oh, it's even worse than that. Imagine that a self driving cars realises that an accident is inevitable. It has to make a choice between hitting a baby in a pram or swerving and taking out an old person.

What should it do?
    The old trolley problem :-)

My point was even without the ethics issues, we aren't close on the fully autonomous driving cars. Part of the problem is their reliance on deep neural networks, which are great at the low hanging fruit, but increasingly we are finding that they don't actually learn what people think they do and getting from great to perfect is basically impossible with the current paradigm even with the attitude of "just throw more labelled data at it".

Increasingly leading lights in the AI / ML world are saying that deep neural nets aren't the solution, they aren't the future, and that there needs to be a lot of work on thinking about different ideas. Meanwhile, Waymo have gone full "throw every bit at data at the neural net will do the trick" approach.
    Deep artificial neural nets can't explain or justify their actions. Deep human neural nets are experts at explaining and justifying their actions. The artificials will catch up.

Bernard Williams gave a better example of the trolley problem.

Jim is a reporter on a botanical expedition in South America. He wanders into the central square of a remote village in which twenty people are restrained against a wall and are being guarded by armed men in uniforms. Pedro, the officer in charge, informs Jim that the captives are a randomly selected group of inhabitants that are about to be killed in order to put an end to recent acts of protest against the government. Pedro would like to honor Jim’s presence by offering him the opportunity to kill one of the innocent villagers himself. If Jim accepts the offer, Pedro will release the surviving nineteen villagers. If Jim refuses, Pedro will kill the twenty prisoners. Violent resistance is not an option. Williams asks, “What should he do?”

I think that the answer is whatever decision that Jim feels he can best live with and justify to himself. How will he feel about his decision? Personally I would shoot the one person rather than hear twenty shots ring out as I walk away leaving 20 bereaved families. I could justify that more easily to myself and others.

AI deep neural nets will eventually need to justify their actions both to themselves and to others as they climb the evolutionary tree.
    Shoot Pedro ?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    Alistair said:

Tres said:

I remember attending presentations ten years ago saying we'd all have self driving cars by 2020....

I remember a very excitable author suggesting that professional translators would be out of a job by now.
    Yes, I remember that too, shudder. It's my second job, and I will say that artificial translation is creeping forward. In one of my languages, German, we usually get a draft translation which is really quite good, especially in handling technical terms, though for German it not unexpectedly struggles with sentence order, so you have to watch out for "He said to her" turning into "She said to him". Because the AI translation looks reasonable 90% of the time, you have to stay alert to notice when it's actually reversed the meaning. I get paid a bit less as a result of the "draft" being available, because it goes more quickly.

No such progress is visible for my other language, Danish, which I suppose is too niche for anyone to bother with developing AI. Because Danish has similar sentence order to English that's a pity, as the AI would probably be 98% right. Google Translate gives you the general drift but is nowhere near professional.

I've incidentally got more work than ever from the EU, thanks to Ireland still speaking English. I did get a query from a hopeful agency asking if I did Gaelic too. Perhaps they are preparing to welcome Scotland.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,847
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Just put a wind turbine on the roof of every car, so we generate electricity when we drive. When you're finished your drive, you plug the car in to feed the excess electricity into the grid.

Problem solved.

Now ask me about peace in the Middle East.

2020 has been the best year in ages for peace in the Middle East.

Your wind turbine would need to be more than 100% efficient, otherwise it would create more drag than electricity.
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207

Re heating, insulation and heat pumps -- just a reminder that HMG is subsidising installation for the next few months under its "Green homes grant" scheme.

And the renewable heat initiative scheme subsidises heat pumps, though it doesn't help with the capital cost but pays out based on energy used.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

When on a German autobahn in my holiday hire car I would typically set cruise control to 150km/h.

Presumably high speeds in e-cars means that the range becomes far less than what's advertised?

What would the range be of a normal e-car today, if the full charge was used at about 80-85mph on a clear motorway ?

Aerodynamic drag is proportional to speed squared, so going 76mph instead of 62mph (123km/100km) results in 50% more aero drag, which is a huge amount of total drag and hence fuel consumption.

Electric cars generally hate motorways. So do petrol cars of course, but they can be recharged to full in 3 minutes.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109

Alistair said:

Tres said:

I remember attending presentations ten years ago saying we'd all have self driving cars by 2020....

I remember a very excitable author suggesting that professional translators would be out of a job by now.
    Yes, I remember that too, shudder. It's my second job, and I will say that artificial translation is creeping forward. In one of my languages, German, we usually get a draft translation which is really quite good, especially in handling technical terms, though for German it not unexpectedly struggles with sentence order, so you have to watch out for "He said to her" turning into "She said to him". Because the AI translation looks reasonable 90% of the time, you have to stay alert to notice when it's actually reversed the meaning. I get paid a bit less as a result of the "draft" being available, because it goes more quickly.

No such progress is visible for my other language, Danish, which I suppose is too niche for anyone to bother with developing AI. Because Danish has similar sentence order to English that's a pity, as the AI would probably be 98% right. Google Translate gives you the general drift but is nowhere near professional.

I've incidentally got more work than ever from the EU, thanks to Ireland still speaking English. I did get a query from a hopeful agency asking if I did Gaelic too. Perhaps they are preparing to welcome Scotland.
    Did they specify Irish or Scots Gaelic?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

The variability of wind means lot of redundancy needed in the system (at great cost). Long term reliability and maintenance of offshore wind is another concern. A secure plan would increase nuclear and would be looking at newer nuclear technologies especially small scale fail-safe designs. There would be a plan B allowing rapid deployment of much higher nuclear component if (when) it becomes obvious that it is needed. Hydrogen can be created by the redundant backup capacity and changed into artificial petrol and gas using CO2 from the atmosphere or seawater which avoids having to change transport and domestic heating drastically over a short timeframe. I also think we have longer than the current rather alarmist timeframe but that is another argument.

This is the error everyone makes: they think that the infrastructure (power stations) is expensive.

Modern combined cycle gas turbines are cheap to build, and have very low maintenance costs. They're also efficient, and relatively green.

Open cycle gas turbines are even cheaper (albeit nowhere near as efficient).

You could build enough gas generating capacity for total peak UK demand for less than the price of Hinckley Point C. And you have massively lower maintenance and operational costs too. (Albeit you pay more for the natural gas itself than for the uranium.)
    Flow batteries and an higher than needed solar and wind build may be best. Use the batteries when the wind and solar can't produce the energy, when you have too much produce hydrogen. Electric cars will provide a large backup 'battery' when not being used, e.g in the office car park or at night, the owners can charge them when electricity is cheapest and sell it when it is expensive making themselves a profit - see Tesla Autobidder https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tesla-electric-utility-autobidder-battery-technology/
    Also tidal, pumped storage, geothermal and others will be in the mix.
  • Options
    BalrogBalrog Posts: 207
    Sandpit said:

When on a German autobahn in my holiday hire car I would typically set cruise control to 150km/h.

Presumably high speeds in e-cars means that the range becomes far less than what's advertised?

What would the range be of a normal e-car today, if the full charge was used at about 80-85mph on a clear motorway ?

Aerodynamic drag is proportional to speed squared, so going 76mph instead of 62mph (123km/100km) results in 50% more aero drag and hence fuel consumption.

Electric cars generally hate motorways.
    I don't think it is that much of a difference, which probably means that there are other sources of energy loss that don't go up so much with speed. And on the motorway there is less speeding up and slowing down, so less energy lost in brakes and acceleration, etc. I would think the difference for me is more like 25%
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Toms said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Just put a wind turbine on the roof of every car, so we generate electricity when we drive. When you're finished your drive, you plug the car in to feed the excess electricity into the grid.

Problem solved.

Now ask me about peace in the Middle East.

I suspect that, with your cognomen you may know science and are taking the pee. But I actually did hear that suggestion a year or so ago soberly delivered as a solution to energy conservation.
    Oh, you're worried about the conservation of energy? That's easily solved. You just start every journey at the top of a hill.
    LOL :D
  • Options
    Poland isn't really getting much media attention, but its clearly very bad there....

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1327673956489433089?s=19
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Sandpit said:

Aerodynamic drag is proportional to speed squared, so going 76mph instead of 62mph (123km/100km) results in 50% more aero drag, which is a huge amount of total drag and hence fuel consumption.

Electric cars generally hate motorways. So do petrol cars of course, but they can be recharged to full in 3 minutes.
    And that is why if we want a quick win on road transport CO2 emissions the speed limit should be reduced to 60 mph
  • Options
    Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

Aerodynamic drag is proportional to speed squared, so going 76mph instead of 62mph (123km/100km) results in 50% more aero drag and hence fuel consumption.

I don't think it is that much of a difference, which probably means that there are other sources of energy loss that don't go up so much with speed. And on the motorway there is less speeding up and slowing down, so less energy lost in brakes and acceleration, etc. I would think the difference for me is more like 25%
    Electric cars are much more efficient than ICE cars.
    How about 126 MPG?
    ... and that's a US gallon.
    https://www.thedrive.com/article/14069/tesla-model-3s-epa-rating-hits-equivalent-of-126-mpg
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,929
    Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

It’s worse than that - the force goes as the square of velocity, but the power required to overcome said force goes as the cube of velocity. But driving at a constant speed is much more efficient than constantly stop-starting for junctions and traffic lights for an internal combustion engine driven vehicle so the the final difference is relatively small. For an electric vehicle with regenerative braking, stop-start driving isn’t a problem (pace battery charging losses), so the power requirements are dominated by aerodynamic drag & hence velocity.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,929

Alistair said:

Tres said:

AI translation quality is dominated by the size of the training corpus. I bet the available Danish corpus is small by comparison with other languages, especially English, French and German which are the core EU languages into which every text is translated. (Ironically, even post-Brexit English will remain a core EU language I believe.)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

O/T - Big Sur looks and operates very well, but I'm annoyed by it, they've got rid of the battery remaining percentage view.

They moved the setting. It’s now in System Preferences > Dock > Battery.

I’m holding off Big Sur for a few weeks. It’s a major update with a lot of changes.
    My system still hasn’t recovered from Catalina so I’m going to wait before installing
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:
    I wonder if Corbyn and Co could split the "inner city" Labour vote?
    I thought the Labour Muslim survey into Islamophobia might have been conducted in response to Corbyn's suspension, but it was taken July-August.

Things are probably worse now

https://www.labourmuslims.org/press
    I notice you are talking to yourself again isam.
    No, I am really encouraged to hear that @isam has awakened to the issues of islamophobia in British society, and its presence in all parts of society. He will become a progressive yet 😇
    I dislike hearing my name and the word "progressive" from a Doctor thankyou
    Don't worry, I know your opinions on Islamophobia are purely trolling.

😄
  • Options
    Phil said:

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

It’s worse than that - the force goes as the square of velocity, but the power required to overcome said force goes as the cube of velocity. But driving at a constant speed is much more efficient than constantly stop-starting for junctions and traffic lights for an internal combustion engine driven vehicle so the the final difference is relatively small. For an electric vehicle with regenerative braking, stop-start driving isn’t a problem (pace battery charging losses), so the power requirements are dominated by aerodynamic drag & hence velocity.
    A lot of the energy in an ICE car is lost as heat and idling at traffic lights and traffic jams.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:
    I thought the Labour Muslim survey into Islamophobia might have been conducted in response to Corbyn's suspension, but it was taken July-August.

No, I am really encouraged to hear that @isam has awakened to the issues of islamophobia in British society, and its presence in all parts of society. He will become a progressive yet 😇

😄
    No opinion, just reporting something relevant to politics/betting that seems to be ignored by everyone else on here 🙈

https://twitter.com/labourmuslims/status/1327387205652934658?s=21
  • Options
    Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, there will also be other drag sources such as drivetrain losses and accessory use (HVAC, stereo etc) to take into account, and as you mention fewer opportunities to recharge with regenerative braking.

The faster you go, the more aerodynamic drag pays a part. There’s some good videos out there of Teslas drag racing against supercars. The EV is faster than pretty much anything off the line thanks to the huge torque of the motors, but the supercar pulls ahead past about 100mph, thanks to better power-to-weight ratio and aerodynamics.
  • Options
    GaussianGaussian Posts: 793

Poland isn't really getting much media attention, but its clearly very bad there....

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1327673956489433089?s=19

That positivity rate is horrendous. Must be a big multiple of undetected cases.
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

😄
    No opinion, just reporting something relevant to politics/betting that seems to be ignored by everyone else on here 🙈

So, Is that good or bad for Labour? Presumably Islamophobes are quite heartened to hear that they have a home in Labour.
  • Options

Phil said:

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

A lot of the energy in an ICE car is lost as heat and idling at traffic lights and traffic jams.
    Around town the range in my e-niro is great, very efficient in traffic.

I think the greater power consumption at speed is at least partially offset by the better aerodynamic properties of electric cars, with no radiator etc.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Charles said:

Sandpit said:

O/T - Big Sur looks and operates very well, but I'm annoyed by it, they've got rid of the battery remaining percentage view.

I’m holding off Big Sur for a few weeks. It’s a major update with a lot of changes.
    My system still hasn’t recovered from Catalina so I’m going to wait before installing
    There’s a lot of compatability issues with this one. Anyone who uses their Mac for actual work should check that all the software they run will either continue to run under Big Sur (MacOS 11.0, that’s how big it is!) or that upgrades are available from vendors. Catalina was a halfway house that broke a lot of stuff in preparation for this one, they removed old 32-bit code support. Big Sur is a total rewrite of the code to now support the M1 chipset in the new Macs.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

😄

So, Is that good or bad for Labour? Presumably Islamophobes are quite heartened to hear that they have a home in Labour.
    I find it hard to believe that the team currently in charge of Labour are islamophobic to be honest, and I doubt Corbyn’s mob were either. The results of the poll surprise me, the PB whitewash of it too

Then again, Corbyn etc refused to admit there was a problem with anti-semitism, and people are falling over themselves to apologise for it now.

Tim hasn’t tweeted about this, and he is normally all over islamophobia
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,469
    Trump has now added more than 10 million votes to his 2016 total. Biden has added about 13 million votes to the Clinton total.

https://results.decisiondeskhq.com
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Sandpit said:

There’s a lot of compatability issues with this one. Anyone who uses their Mac for actual work should check that all the software they run will either continue to run under Big Sur (MacOS 11.0, that’s how big it is!) or that upgrades are available from vendors. Catalina was a halfway house that broke a lot of stuff in preparation for this one. Big Sur is a total rewrite of the code to support the M1 chipset in the new Macs.
    Catalina had that bizarre bug where it crashed the computer during actual shutdown. Couldn’t understand how Apple could make such a basic error.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,469

Alistair said:

Tres said:

Do you translate Swedish as well?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    It looks like France has turned the corner.

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1327694590468567041?s=21
  • Options

Sandpit said:

And that is why if we want a quick win on road transport CO2 emissions the speed limit should be reduced to 60 mph
    We can’t enforce 70. What makes you think people would pay attention to 60 instead?
  • Options
    Phil said:

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

True re power, but you also get there faster, which takes you back to square of velocity for energy lost to aero drag.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Trump has now added more than 10 million votes to his 2016 total. Biden has added about 13 million votes to the Clinton total.

No matter what else we may think about US elections and politics, it’s good to see their traditionally horrendous turnout get a lot better this time around.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

We can’t enforce 70. What makes you think people would pay attention to 60 instead?
    Because come 2022 we are going to sovereignly comply with EU compulsory speed limiter laws.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, there will also be other drag sources such as drivetrain losses and accessory use (HVAC, stereo etc) to take into account, and as you mention fewer opportunities to recharge with regenerative braking.

The faster you go, the more aerodynamic drag pays a part. There’s some good videos out there of Teslas drag racing against supercars. The EV is faster than pretty much anything off the line thanks to the huge torque of the motors, but the supercar pulls ahead past about 100mph, thanks to better power-to-weight ratio and aerodynamics.
    Found UK data on a 2020 Tesla Model 3 efficiency 148 MPGe, many models have range well over 300 miles.
    The range decreases with speed of course as it does with an ICE car, e,g, for a Tesla Model 3 LR with 18 in wheels: 401 miles at 55 mph, 262 at 80 mph
    ... and you start off each day with a full battery as it's charged overnight - so you very rarely have to visit one of their thousands of Superchargers.
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

😄

I find it hard to believe that the team currently in charge of Labour are islamophobic to be honest, and I doubt Corbyn’s mob were either. The results of the poll surprise me, the PB whitewash of it too

Then again, Corbyn etc refused to admit there was a problem with anti-semitism, and people are falling over themselves to apologise for it now.

All polling shows that Islamophobia is fairly common in Britain so not surprising to find it in Labour. Indeed it shows how representative of mainstream opinion Labour is.

Orthodox Islam often seems to clash with progressive opinion on women's rights, LGBT issues, free speech etc, and in those clashes, I have no doubt where I stand.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

How about 126 MPG?
    https://www.thedrive.com/article/14069/tesla-model-3s-epa-rating-hits-equivalent-of-126-mpg
    Where do you buy a gallon of electricity from?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

😄

All polling shows that Islamophobia is fairly common in Britain so not surprising to find it in Labour. Indeed it shows how representative of mainstream opinion Labour is.

Orthodox Islam often seems to clash with progressive opinion on women's rights, LGBT issues, free speech etc, and in those clashes, I have no doubt where I stand.
    Difficult thing to poll on. I am a raging, ultra-extreme jihadophobe. Is that a subset or does it not count?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Andy_JS said:

Indeed but over 150 million votes have bene cast compared with 136 million in 2016 so whatever you say about Trump he's got people out to vote for him and of course against him.

The gap is 5.5 million or 4% (51-47) so that's a net 1% swing from Trump to the Democrats since 2016 so not a big move in terms of votes but it's completely reversed the EC from 2016.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

No matter what else we may think about US elections and politics, it’s good to see their traditionally horrendous turnout get a lot better this time around.
    Trump is a massive turnout driver. Won't see anything like it again in the USA again I think.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

How about 126 MPG?
    Those numbers are bunkum though, as the most inefficient part of the process (the generating of the electricity) is done outside of the car!

You could make the numbers fit your preferred narrative, purely by deciding how much of the power supply chain you want to include in them.
  • Options

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

How about 126 MPG?
    For the UK it's up to 148 MPGe (I missed off the e, it stands for equivalent).
    You can buy electricity from a number of companies, or make it yourself.
    https://teslike.com/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tres said:

My only phrase of Swedish was taught to me as a conversation starter: "jag knullar isbjörnar"

I have rarely used it...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

Trump is a massive turnout driver. Won't see anything like it again in the USA again I think.
    I'm expecting a 90% turnout in NYC if Jnr runs in 2022.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,225
    Phil said:

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

So in a typical mid range car what constant speed do we think is likely to show the maximum fuel economy?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

How about 126 MPG?
    From an aquarium. Electric eels.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tres said:

My only phrase of Swedish was taught to me as a conversation starter: "jag knullar isbjörnar"

I have rarely used it...
    :lol:
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tres said:

I have rarely used it...
    My, my.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed but over 150 million votes have bene cast compared with 136 million in 2016 so whatever you say about Trump he's got people out to vote for him and of course against him.

The gap is 5.5 million or 4% (51-47) so that's a net 1% swing from Trump to the Democrats since 2016 so not a big move in terms of votes but it's completely reversed the EC from 2016.
    Removing third party does that make it 52-48?
    Spooky.
    And an overwhelming landslide no doubt.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378

Interesting question.
    Best answer I could find:
    https://electrek.co/2019/05/28/tesla-ev-efficiency-test-kona-ev-audi-e-tron/
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

How about 126 MPG?
    Those numbers are bunkum though, as the most inefficient part of the process (the generating of the electricity) is done outside of the car!

You could make the numbers fit your preferred narrative, purely by deciding how much of the power supply chain you want to include in them.
    Don't you have to factor in the finding production, transportation and distribution of oil if you want to go down that route. How efficient is that? I suspect that you have just shot your argument in both feet.
    Some of my electricity generation is free, from solar panels, the rest comes from 100% renewable supplier
    ... and no I don't own an electric car .... yet.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tres said:

I have rarely used it...
    My, my.
    Swedes are "the Germans of the North", so take the claim seriously, or so it seems. Hence the conversation starter.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Because come 2022 we are going to sovereignly comply with EU compulsory speed limiter laws.
    That doesn't sound likely what with Germans still insisting on their freedom to legally risk their own and others' lives going 150mph or more on the autobahns.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tres said:

I have rarely used it...
    I take it by that you mean the phrase, not the action?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Sandpit said:

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

How about 126 MPG?

Modern CCGTs have efficiencies in the 60s. Now, of course, you have to factor in transmission losses, battery losses, and electrical motor efficiency. BUT, assuming the power comes from a modern natural gas plant, it's probably quite a bit more efficient through the cycle than petroleum. (And worth remembering that there's a whole bunch of inefficiencies hidden in the oil supply chain too.)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Interesting question.
    Best answer I could find:
    https://electrek.co/2019/05/28/tesla-ev-efficiency-test-kona-ev-audi-e-tron/
    This should help for Teslas
    https://teslike.com/
  • Options
    Well technically they are right purely on rugby territories.

That's why you don't see a Northern Ireland national rugby union team.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Phil said:

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

So in a typical mid range car what constant speed do we think is likely to show the maximum fuel economy?
    Between 55 and 60.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tres said:

I have rarely used it...
    Surprising as it may seem, I have never actually validated my claim 😀🐻‍❄️
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tres said:

I have rarely used it...
    My, my.
    Swedes are "the Germans of the North", so take the claim seriously, or so it seems. Hence the conversation starter.
    Not a great starter if you’re trying to pull though.

I mean, either the ladies/gentlemen in question (delete according to gender/taste) think you’re weird or, worse, they might think you were comparing *them* to a polar bear.
  • Options
    Bill Bailey looks a good bet for Strictly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

How about 126 MPG?

Modern CCGTs have efficiencies in the 60s. Now, of course, you have to factor in transmission losses, battery losses, and electrical motor efficiency. BUT, assuming the power comes from a modern natural gas plant, it's probably quite a bit more efficient through the cycle than petroleum. (And worth remembering that there's a whole bunch of inefficiencies hidden in the oil supply chain too.)
    Indeed. Plenty of variables on both vehicle types, so making an ‘equivalent’ statistic necessarily requires being selective as to what you include in the figures.

I’d also love to know how the UK gov expect to replace about £30bn in annual revenue from fuel sales and road tax on conventional cars, once they get banned.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    So Cain was third choice after both Javid and Feldman refused to work with Cummo.

Then Stratton said she couldn’t work with Cain - although she had to threaten to walk in order to see him off.

The two spotty teenagers dug their own grave.

The point to note is that even Cummo came to the conclusion that Johnson isn’t up to the job.

The power that Carrie has is, as the quoted minister says, “without precedent”.
  • Options

I still wonder if the GOP will split and Trump and his coterie will run as a third party challenge in 2024 - the parallel would be former President Theodore Roosevelt splitting from the GOP ticket in 1912.

The second parallel might be with the Le Pen family in France - perhaps Ivanka will be able to craft a more moderate image and be a realistic challenger in 2028.

There's this thing about dynastic politics in America - I mentioned the Roosevelts but I can add the Kennedys, Bushes, Clintons and now it seems the Trumps.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Just did a bit of calculation, the current halving time of the virus nationally is 79 days, this is down from 93 days but still pretty slow.

Scotland and NI currently have halving cycles of just 20 days or so, England is still in a very slow doubling cycle of over 100 days but three major regions (NW, London and NE) are in halving cycles which balances out the rise elsewhere.

I still think we're seeing the lockdown effect of the government announcing it days in advance causing huge social interaction from Saturday to Wednesday before the Thursday deadline. It might take until next week before this starts to decline. We may even say a pretty big rise from the ONS data next Friday because if this effect.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

There was a Republican interviewed during election night who, in respect of US rural counties, said just that.
  • Options
    Gaussian said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

That doesn't sound likely what with Germans still insisting on their freedom to legally risk their own and others' lives going 150mph or more on the autobahns.
    Quite a lot of the autobahn network does actually have speed limits, usually 130 kmh
  • Options
    stodge said:

I still wonder if the GOP will split and Trump and his coterie will run as a third party challenge in 2024 - the parallel would be former President Theodore Roosevelt splitting from the GOP ticket in 1912.

The second parallel might be with the Le Pen family in France - perhaps Ivanka will be able to craft a more moderate image and be a realistic challenger in 2028.

There's this thing about dynastic politics in America - I mentioned the Roosevelts but I can add the Kennedys, Bushes, Clintons and now it seems the Trumps.
    The 2 President Roosevelts were only 5th cousins though.
    Though Eleanor Roosevelt (nee Roosevelt) was Teddy's niece.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865
    stodge said:

https://twitter.com/TockTick5167AD/status/1327649518637051905
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

😄

People say the same about orthodox Jews
  • Options
    stodge said:

I suspect the Trumps will do what gets them the most money.

That might well be running as a third party, I suspect if that happens he'll get more states than George Wallace did in 1968.

He might just hand Texas to the Dems...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Average speed cameras.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

The 2 President Roosevelts were only 5th cousins though.
    Though Eleanor Roosevelt (nee Roosevelt) was Teddy's niece.
    What about the Adams father and son combo?
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

😄

And Catholics
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tres said:

I have rarely used it...
    Surprising as it may seem, I have never actually validated my claim 😀🐻‍❄️
    You mean it is something you might do or not, you have never checked?
    IanB2 said:

Gaussian said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Quite a lot of the autobahn network does actually have speed limits, usually 130 kmh
    And the speed which the limiter enforces is geographically set. And anyway why let brexit spoil the age old tradition whereby the rules apply to everywhere but are only followed here?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Removing third party does that make it 52-48?
    Spooky.
    And an overwhelming landslide no doubt.
    Worth noting that last time I looked the gap in California was also over 5 million. So over 49 states the vote was a tie. It means nothing as a number but we should beware assuming too much from victory in the popular vote
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tres said:

I have rarely used it...
    "Puss puss Alskling" is all I remember other than "Ja til Euron"
  • Options
    isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

😄

Some Christian sects too, but all of these religions also have liberal wings with more progressive theologies. No religion is a monolith, all being a dialogue between modernists and tradition.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

How about 126 MPG?

Indeed. Plenty of variables on both vehicle types, so making an ‘equivalent’ statistic necessarily requires being selective as to what you include in the figures.

I’d also love to know how the UK gov expect to replace about £30bn in annual revenue from fuel sales and road tax on conventional cars, once they get banned.
    Don't forget that that money will be spent by consumers in different ways, so they'll still get their hands on it one way or another,
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

😄

Some Christian sects too, but all of these religions also have liberal wings with more progressive theologies. No religion is a monolith, all being a dialogue between modernists and tradition.
    But they all get picked on by Labour!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tres said:

I have rarely used it...
    My, my.

I mean, either the ladies/gentlemen in question (delete according to gender/taste) think you’re weird or, worse, they might think you were comparing *them* to a polar bear.
    It was taught me as a pick up line. The first trick is to get the conversation started...
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830
    Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

2030 is an age away in AI development terms. I’d say better odds than not that drivers won’t be needed for cars by then. And if that happens, the economic forcing factors will mean it becomes quite rare for individuals to purchase, service and charge cars in large parts of the country.

As for the choice of drivetrain, it blows my mind with incentives and depreciation curves as they are, that anyone apart from apartment dwelllers or enthusiasts are still buying petrol or diesel new. Money down the toilet even today. No doubt the refuseniks will come crying for a taxpayer funded scrappage scheme when they realise what a poor decision they made buying petrol/diesel anytime after about 2024.

The government giving clear signals on the direction of the market (dressed up as a future ban) is great news because it lessens the scale of dissent when we get there.

Self driving cars are like speech recognition. It's easy to get to 99.9% (we got there with Dragon Dictate and IBM Naturally Speaking in 1999), but getting the last 0.1% that takes it from convenience feature on the highway, to actually be able to take full control of the car is not easy.

I'm in Phoenix next week and will try and travel in the Google self driving taxis while I'm there. It will be very interesting to experience.
    And of course unlike speech recognition mis-translating say one word in a 1000, a self driving car making a mistake once in a 1000 miles = massive increase in road traffic accidents.
    Oh, it's even worse than that. Imagine that a self driving cars realises that an accident is inevitable. It has to make a choice between hitting a baby in a pram or swerving and taking out an old person.

What should it do?

My point was even without the ethics issues, we aren't close on the fully autonomous driving cars. Part of the problem is their reliance on deep neural networks, which are great at the low hanging fruit, but increasingly we are finding that they don't actually learn what people think they do and getting from great to perfect is basically impossible with the current paradigm even with the attitude of "just throw more labelled data at it".

Increasingly leading lights in the AI / ML world are saying that deep neural nets aren't the solution, they aren't the future, and that there needs to be a lot of work on thinking about different ideas. Meanwhile, Waymo have gone full "throw every bit at data at the neural net will do the trick" approach.
    Deep artificial neural nets can't explain or justify their actions. Deep human neural nets are experts at explaining and justifying their actions. The artificials will catch up.

Jim is a reporter on a botanical expedition in South America. He wanders into the central square of a remote village in which twenty people are restrained against a wall and are being guarded by armed men in uniforms. Pedro, the officer in charge, informs Jim that the captives are a randomly selected group of inhabitants that are about to be killed in order to put an end to recent acts of protest against the government. Pedro would like to honor Jim’s presence by offering him the opportunity to kill one of the innocent villagers himself. If Jim accepts the offer, Pedro will release the surviving nineteen villagers. If Jim refuses, Pedro will kill the twenty prisoners. Violent resistance is not an option. Williams asks, “What should he do?”

I think that the answer is whatever decision that Jim feels he can best live with and justify to himself. How will he feel about his decision? Personally I would shoot the one person rather than hear twenty shots ring out as I walk away leaving 20 bereaved families. I could justify that more easily to myself and others.

AI deep neural nets will eventually need to justify their actions both to themselves and to others as they climb the evolutionary tree.
    Ah the old if I dont do it someone else will and it might be worse syndrome, that ignores that its just the first step....this time they get you to shoot one....next they already have you on the path and toruring these 2 is better than all 20 before long you are the same as them
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Phil said:

Balrog said:

Sandpit said:

Zero?
  • Options

That might well be running as a third party, I suspect if that happens he'll get more states than George Wallace did in 1968.

IF Trump sets up his own media network and declares war on Fox News by so doing, I could well imagine the GOP start to break apart between traditional conservatives and the "new" conservatives led by Trump. That hands the 2024 Presidential election to the Democrats.

Ivanka will be eligible in 2028 and I could see her as a "unifying" figure against the Democrats.

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Sandpit said:

That's quite possibly the worst suggestion I've ever heard.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tres said:

I have rarely used it...
    My, my.

It was taught me as a pick up line. The first trick is to get the conversation started...

Jag knullar som en isbjörn might work better...
  • Options
    Question to the PB masses, especially our American friends.

How do I pronounce Concord, the city in NH?

Is it pronounced like the plane or conquered ?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

😄

It's easier with Atheists. When someone holds bigoted views we just call them a bigot, rather than a traditionalist.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,865

conkered
  • Options
    stodge said:

IF Trump sets up his own media network and declares war on Fox News by so doing, I could well imagine the GOP start to break apart between traditional conservatives and the "new" conservatives led by Trump. That hands the 2024 Presidential election to the Democrats.

Ivanka will be eligible in 2028 and I could see her as a "unifying" figure against the Democrats.
    I think of all this depends how much legal problems the Trumps have once the patriarch leaves 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

It looks like France has turned the corner.

https://twitter.com/bnodesk/status/1327694590468567041?s=21

Have they? I don't know how they report, but in the last couple of weeks they seem to regularly go from 300 deaths per day then 1 day around 900, then down again for a few days. Cases trending down perhaps?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

conkered
    Cheers, I thought it was that.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

What should it do?

Ah the old if I dont do it someone else will and it might be worse syndrome, that ignores that its just the first step....this time they get you to shoot one....next they already have you on the path and toruring these 2 is better than all 20 before long you are the same as them
    I agree. An individual is responsible for their own morality. Not for what others choose to do as a result.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

That's quite possibly the worst suggestion I've ever heard.
    Why?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

😄

Is modernists vs tradition the right terminology? As sometimes it seems religions can become more rigid in a way which is not really traditional.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,830
    dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Barnesian said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

moonshine said:

What should it do?

I agree. An individual is responsible for their own morality. Not for what others choose to do as a result.
    precisely the point I was trying to make, once we give in to the do a lesser evil to prevent a greater one they have us
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

Alistair said:

Tres said:

I have rarely used it...
    My, my.

Jag knullar som en isbjörn might work better...
    I’m baffled as to how they would know...
This discussion has been closed.