Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

UK Punters still not totally convinced that Biden will be President – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    BTW something rotten in the state of Denmark

17 million mink being slaughtered and an industry wiped out (albeit a rather unsavoury industry). Govt not popular

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54890229
  • Scott_xP said:
    Whoever described politics as showbusiness for ugly people wasn't wrong.
    In fairness to them, "I'm Too Sexy" was a real floor-filler back in the day.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,848
    TimT said:

For those who are interested, here is the timetable by which States are to certify their vote tallies for the Presidential election:

https://ballotpedia.org/Election_results_certification_dates,_2020

I am totally relaxed about the result if and until any one of these states does not certify per the schedule.

The next key date afterwards, is Wednesday 14 December, and the Electoral College vote. If fully expect Trump and his willing acolytes to play silly buggers up until then, but the best thing everyone can do it ignore him and get on with life.

Only if that date passes without Biden being duly declared President Elect by the requisite bits of government will I become alarmed.

Thanks, bookmarked. Very useful. It is the crux of the matter after all. The networks don't decide elections, nor do politicians, it's about the certified vote count.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Quincel said:

Alistair said:

Quincel said:

HYUFD said:

Trump projected to have won Alaska, so now just Arizona and Georgia still to have a final projected winner

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1326521985728442371?s=20

I'm standing by my bet that 1/9 was value. It's gonna be nowhere close, and even a Biden 400+ EC night it would be a fairly safe bet.
    Biden't splitting the Mail vote way more than I expected. I was expecting easily sub 60 and more like 50-55 but he's above that. Still way below what he needed though.
    I thought he was in the 50s? Where are you seeing higher numbers?

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html
    To be exact Biden split the first day mail ballot 62/34. He needs to split the remaining Mail ballot 74/22 to win
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Odd that Priti is championing a move that would have barred her parents from coming to the UK.
    They came from an EU member state?
    No, but so many people who want to stop foreigners coming here can't tell the difference anyway. Stopping free movement is definitely about stopping Asian and African economic migrants like her parents, stopping asylum seekers and scroungers and much less about the French and Germans who they don't have a problem with.

Well the tweet is about ending freedom of movement, so I had assumed your comment was related to that.
    It is. People want stop foreign types from coming here.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    LadyG said:

NHS England has suggested that GP practices administering Covid vaccinations will not need access to freezer capacity to store vaccine stock.

Pulse magazine

That suggests they are expecting ANOTHER vaccine (AstraZeneca?) which will only need basic refrigeration?
    The annoucement will be along very soon
  • isamisam Posts: 40,725
    edited November 2020
    International break in the current climate is ridiculous. 10 days off would have been better. Both Liverpool’s first choice CB’s out now

Matip might be ahead of Gomez if both fit I guess

https://twitter.com/goal/status/1326541381670612994?s=21
  • Pulpstar said:

I'd ease off on that line if I were him. It may encourage investigation into how many false Trump votes were cast.
    Trump furious as insufficient ballots stuffed at the boxes for him :D
    Joking aside, I think he genuinely expected to win. Now how was that? He was miles behind in the polls and is going to finish more than 5m down in the popular vote.

Maybe he needs to be careful what he wishes for. A really extensive investigation into voting irregularitoes may show up as many minuses as pluses for him.
  • kinabalu said:

Preparing to win the state.
    He has a point. These fake illegal polls did a terrific job in suppressing the GOP vote which decreased by a shocking +205k more votes than in 2016. This criminal 14% increase in Trumps vote is definitive proof that his vote went down.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

LadyG said:

NHS England has suggested that GP practices administering Covid vaccinations will not need access to freezer capacity to store vaccine stock.

Pulse magazine

That suggests they are expecting ANOTHER vaccine (AstraZeneca?) which will only need basic refrigeration?
    The annoucement will be along very soon
    Yeah. I read a piece in the Telegraph saying they were only going to announce it when the results were just about to be published. Approval days after the request for certification.

Well, what's the hurry? After all the EU parliament can hold a special session to ratify it on December 28th and that still gives businesses and the civil service all of three days to get the computer systems written and people trained up. Only sneering Remoaners could possibly think that's not enough.
    The elephant in the room is that the deal will have to include a further transition period.
    Yes we're not quite ready to fly yet. Wings are not attached.
  • Well, what's the hurry? After all the EU parliament can hold a special session to ratify it on December 28th and that still gives businesses and the civil service all of three days to get the computer systems written and people trained up. Only sneering Remoaners could possibly think that's not enough.
    Won't take us very long to prepare for continuing as a defacto member of the EEA and CU. Which is all we can do now.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,130

Dura_Ace said:

Trump is like a bad case of the clap.

I'm idly wondering what a good case of the clap looks like.

No pics please.
    The worst I have seen was the dose a shipmate got in Bahrain. He had rubbered up but this Uzbek sort's batter was so toxic it rotted the skin of his shaft were the protection of the coxglove ended. Amazing and exactly the type of thing I joined up to see.
    Serves him right for not using the tradesman's entrance as any good salt would.
    Wouldn't necessarily do any good, in the nature of such things. (I do not speak from experience.)
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    alex_ said:

Pulse magazine

Of course. They're going to be told to chuck out all other medicines and suspend all non-Covid medical appointments for several weeks. (I'm not actually joking about the second one of those - that might actually be being planned)
    Thinking outside the box, does it need to be a doctor or nurse. The military have been trained to jab sacks with their bayonets and that’s not too dissimilar is it.

Hope this helps.
  • Clearly not a fan - but he may have a point:

https://twitter.com/AzeemIbrahim/status/1326544481328394248?s=20
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    JACK_W said:

Incidentally has the PB coup taken place ?!?

Has @HYUFD taken over and placed OGH in chains in Bedford Prison with @rcs1000 in permanent exile across the pond ??

Do you recall John Bunyan being there? Did go on a bit!
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Alistair said:

Quincel said:

Alistair said:

Quincel said:

HYUFD said:

Trump projected to have won Alaska, so now just Arizona and Georgia still to have a final projected winner

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1326521985728442371?s=20

I'm standing by my bet that 1/9 was value. It's gonna be nowhere close, and even a Biden 400+ EC night it would be a fairly safe bet.
    Biden't splitting the Mail vote way more than I expected. I was expecting easily sub 60 and more like 50-55 but he's above that. Still way below what he needed though.
    I thought he was in the 50s? Where are you seeing higher numbers?

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html
    To be exact Biden split the first day mail ballot 62/34. He needs to split the remaining Mail ballot 74/22 to win
    Cheers, good to know.

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

FPT

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:
    Only two options here, both of which include Laura Kuenssburg is an absolute joke of a journalist.

Firstly, Either this story is bollox, Carrie Symonds has no Government role and her view are of no consequence, let alone should be being reported breathlessly as pivotal by the BBC's chief political correspondent. This is just gossip peddling.

Or this story is accurate, Carrie Symonds now has the power to block key Government appointments, in which case THAT should be the story, not who gets appointed to the role.
    Actually to be fair to Carrie, she's a former SPAD/Comms person.

She used to be Head of Comms for the Tory party as well.

I think she might talking from a professional POV,
    So?
    She wouldn't be the first partner to be consulted on a potential new employee.

I mean this sort of thing is unheard of in politics, I mean Nancy Reagan got Don Regan fired as Chief of Staff.
    I'm not sure what relevance that has to the UK. And existence of precedent is not evidence that such a thing should be a non-story.
    Man consults wife/fiancée for advice is a total non-story.

Do you never discuss anything with your significant other?
    Do you need to repeat my earlier post?

Only two options here, both of which include Laura Kuenssburg is an absolute joke of a journalist.

Firstly, Either this story is bollox, Carrie Symonds has no Government role and her view are of no consequence, let alone should be being reported breathlessly as pivotal by the BBC's chief political correspondent. This is just gossip peddling.

Or this story is accurate, Carrie Symonds now has the power to block key Government appointments, in which case THAT should be the story, not who gets appointed to the role.
    What you said earlier is nonsense.

Of course Carrie has no Government role, but her views are not of no consequence. As the fiancée of the Prime Minister of course her views are of consequence just as every Prime Minister's partner is always of "consequence".

So your assumption is wrong. The rest of your post is wrong.
    The question is: who leaked this to Kuenssburg? Assuming it wasn't Boris or Carrie, who in government knows, or was told, that Carrie effectively has a veto on government appointments?
    You mean the shocking news that women can hold opinions too?

That men might listen to their fiancées opinions. What a horror, who would have known that women have thoughts too.

Whatever next, next you might be outraged to know women can vote.

I don't know any man in a happy marriage that dismisses his wife's thoughts without giving them any consideration whatsoever.
    She is not elected. Her qualifications for influencing public policy are unclear. You might as well claim as much right for my tortoise to influence public policy.
    She may not be elected but her fiancé is the Prime Minister.

The Prime Minister is entirely entitled to listed to what his fiancée thinks.

Is your tortoise in the same position? Or do you think men should ignore what their partners think and not take it into consideration?
    PS The way you word it, Mrs T wasn't allowed to listen to Denis, nor would any future gay PM his partner.
    No because it's not exclusive. That men can listen to their "partner" (which includes gays btw) isn't contradictory with the idea women can listen to theirs too.

If Jacinda Ahern listens to her husband's advice or Boris Johnson listens to his fiancée then both are entirely acceptable. The buck stops with the politician though.
    Fair enough in part - it's humanly impossible (and improper) not to listen to one's partner.

But when the partner is published as having a major influence on crucial matters of state, that is a sign something is very wrong.
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Odd that Priti is championing a move that would have barred her parents from coming to the UK.
    No, but so many people who want to stop foreigners coming here can't tell the difference anyway. Stopping free movement is definitely about stopping Asian and African economic migrants like her parents, stopping asylum seekers and scroungers and much less about the French and Germans who they don't have a problem with.

Well the tweet is about ending freedom of movement, so I had assumed your comment was related to that.
    No they don't.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    isam said:

International break in the current climate is ridiculous. 10 days off would have been better. Both Liverpool’s first choice CB’s out now

That a reduced season wasn't contemplated seems crazy. Euros in the Summer. World Cup the year after. Which will be won by whoever can put out 11 players still standing.
  • Mr. Carnyx, must agree. Spouses having significant sway over public policy, unless they themselves are also elected, is not something that democratic politics should be about.

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

FPT

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

Actually to be fair to Carrie, she's a former SPAD/Comms person.

She used to be Head of Comms for the Tory party as well.

I think she might talking from a professional POV,
    So?
    She wouldn't be the first partner to be consulted on a potential new employee.

I mean this sort of thing is unheard of in politics, I mean Nancy Reagan got Don Regan fired as Chief of Staff.
    I'm not sure what relevance that has to the UK. And existence of precedent is not evidence that such a thing should be a non-story.
    Man consults wife/fiancée for advice is a total non-story.

Do you never discuss anything with your significant other?
    Do you need to repeat my earlier post?

What you said earlier is nonsense.

Of course Carrie has no Government role, but her views are not of no consequence. As the fiancée of the Prime Minister of course her views are of consequence just as every Prime Minister's partner is always of "consequence".

So your assumption is wrong. The rest of your post is wrong.
    The question is: who leaked this to Kuenssburg? Assuming it wasn't Boris or Carrie, who in government knows, or was told, that Carrie effectively has a veto on government appointments?
    Apparently it's Cummings
    Knives out?

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Gaussian said:

Do Betfair even look at their rules when deciding whether to settle a market, or do they just leave it to punters, i.e. keep it open as long as significant amounts are being matched?

At some point they will need to settle BIDEN WINNER but having failed to do it when they should have done - on the call of PA when he passed 270 and the networks decreed him President Elect - they now have no distinct and specific "event" to hang the closure on. Also there are big commissionable sums being traded and so they have little incentive to bring the hammer down until they really have to. It's an interesting situation.
    Surely the Electoral College vote now is the event?

Or if it goes before Supreme Court and they dismiss it that would be an earlier event?
    Could be. But we don't know and neither do Betfair. Or if they do they're not saying.
    I really don't think you've identified a real problem here. The Electoral College is going to meet on 14 December with a number of electors pledged to Trump and another number to Biden.

Whether you think that the respective numbers will be as currently projected, or whether you're absolutely crackers and think it'll change, the one thing we can agree on is that that will happen. If the market can settle a little early because Trump concedes and/or exhausts legal routes, then no doubt it will.

If the US descends into anarchy or aliens invade such that the Electoral College can't meet then at some point Betfair will presumably void the market. I'd say it's pretty bloody unlikely though.
    Their market rules say they will settle when somebody passes 270 "projected electoral college votes". That being "a majority". And it's Projected "as a result of the election" not Actual as recorded in the EC meeting. So they must settle before the EC meets. But what specific "event" prior to the EC meeting will trigger this? It's not clear. We don't know. And they're not saying. So that, I submit, is a problem I've identified no?
    I see it pretty much the same way. They've paid out on many States so they are clearly not necessarily waiting for certification, whatever that may involve.

I think they could pay now but I understand their caution, especially whilst significant amounts are being traded. They should definitely pay out for ant State where counting has stopped, unless a recount is called.

Maybe they're not sure where there will be recounts? Nevada and Pennsylvania are out of the question, I believe, so they could pay out on those soon and the main market soon after?
    I think they should have settled it on PA, but having not done so, like you I'm guessing. They shouldn't wait for the EC on 14/12. That would be contra the rules published about "projected". So, yes, maybe when PA and NV have finished counting. Settle them, settle the outright.
  • Well, what's the hurry? After all the EU parliament can hold a special session to ratify it on December 28th and that still gives businesses and the civil service all of three days to get the computer systems written and people trained up. Only sneering Remoaners could possibly think that's not enough.
    Won't take us very long to prepare for continuing as a defacto member of the EEA and CU. Which is all we can do now.
    I'm going to enjoy it when you're wrong. All this would have been futile to not change anything.
    gealbhan said:

alex_ said:

Pulse magazine

Of course. They're going to be told to chuck out all other medicines and suspend all non-Covid medical appointments for several weeks. (I'm not actually joking about the second one of those - that might actually be being planned)
    Thinking outside the box, does it need to be a doctor or nurse. The military have been trained to jab sacks with their bayonets and that’s not too dissimilar is it.

Hope this helps.
    They're actually trained to jab themselves with needles - through clothing if need be - so if you want to be treated like someone who has just had a dose of nerve gas and needs the AChesterase inhibitor pdq ...
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    isam said:

twitter.com/goal/status/1326541381670612994?s=21

Such a shame.
    edited November 2020

Well, what's the hurry? After all the EU parliament can hold a special session to ratify it on December 28th and that still gives businesses and the civil service all of three days to get the computer systems written and people trained up. Only sneering Remoaners could possibly think that's not enough.
    I'm going to enjoy it when you're wrong. All this would have been futile to not change anything.
    Boris et al are making somewhat of a Horlicks of it so far, though. You've got to admit that. Especially when a year ago he said it was all done and ready to go.

Mr. Carnyx, must agree. Spouses having significant sway over public policy, unless they themselves are also elected, is not something that democratic politics should be about.

In fairness, this is only a story that is being leaked. So Ms S may be blameless. But this battle of the airwaves and opric cables is rather reminiscent of the bayonet fighting also being dfiscussed here, and the old wartime training videos of loud screams as the opponent is stabbed (metaphorically, I hope).
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited November 2020
    dixiedean said:

isam said:

That a reduced season wasn't contemplated seems crazy. Euros in the Summer. World Cup the year after. Which will be won by whoever can put out 11 players still standing.
    My bold prediction for this season is that the Premier League champions will be a team not in Europe.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    edited November 2020
    Germany, as it is very possible there will be a Green Chancellor next year after Merkel steps down and Germany goes to the polls in September 2021 and if it elects a Green, SPD and Linke coalition (assuming the CDU will still not touch the AFD with a bargepole). The Greens are currently second in German polls.

The Greens are opposed to NATO military action, relatively pacifist and will cut German defence spending even further
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Scott_xP said:
    I hope the person writing this was not intimidating other voters by wearing MAGA paraphernalia
  • Mr. Carnyx, we should also consider that the Prime Minister is a spineless, empty-headed, dithering fool which may, perhaps, render him more suggestible than an intellectually robust or morally upright human being might be.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,564
    lockhimup said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

To whom has this £20bn contract been awarded ?
    https://bidstats.uk/tenders/2020/W45/738131985

Abbott Labs plus two diagnostic/reagent distributors
    That's next year's income tax up to mid February spent.
    It's a four year contract.

(& thanks, @Charles )
  • Johnson on CSPAN.....does Trump watch it, or is it too serious?

https://twitter.com/Ike_Saul/status/1326547677660635140?s=20
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 14,878

dixiedean said:

isam said:

My bold prediction for this season is that the Premier League champions will be a team not in Europe.
    I've got tiny sums on Saints and Leicester. Just like Terry Pratchett said, million to one shots happen all the time... (or something like it).
  • JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651

JACK_W said:

Incidentally has the PB coup taken place ?!?

Has @HYUFD taken over and placed OGH in chains in Bedford Prison with @rcs1000 in permanent exile across the pond ??

Do you recall John Bunyan being there? Did go on a bit!
    My spell as a prison visitor just missed that pilgrim's progress to freedom ....
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited November 2020
    https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/1326549683167137794?s=20

Because the margin is so small (14,112) out of 5 million votes its not statistically valid to just recount a sample - you've got to recount the whole thing.
    HYUFD said:

Germany, as it is very possible there will be a Green Chancellor next year after Merkel steps down and Germany goes to the polls in September 2021 and if it elects a Green, SPD and Linke coalition (assuming the CDU will still not touch the AFD with a bargepole). The Greens are currently second in German polls.

The Greens are opposed to NATO military action, relatively pacifist and will cut German defence spending even further
    Just thinking, Hy, re the US election. If we were to settle our bet now (the £12.50) that would in a sense be the 2 of us affirming our faith in democracy and against fascism, wouldn't it?
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    A full manual recount will take A Looooong Time.
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

Just thinking, Hy, re the US election. If we were to settle our bet now (the £12.50) that would in a sense be the 2 of us affirming our faith in democracy and against fascism, wouldn't it?
    As soon as one of Arizona or Georgia is confirmed for Biden I am happy to settle it
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

dixiedean said:

isam said:

I've got tiny sums on Saints and Leicester. Just like Terry Pratchett said, million to one shots happen all the time... (or something like it).
    I think Leicester has quite a few on international duty too. Notably Schmeichel, Tielemans, Praet, but at least our English players get a break.
    Nigelb said:

lockhimup said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

(& thanks, @Charles )
    And actually, it seems to be a whole list of contractors along with Abbott Labs.
    Which makes a lot more sense.
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

isam said:

I think Leicester has quite a few on international duty too. Notably Schmeichel, Tielemans, Praet, but at least our English players get a break.
    Schmeichel is a bit of a problem. He'll have to quarantine.
  • alex_ said:

It will be finished by November 20th as Georgia law stipulates.
    edited November 2020

alex_ said:

It will be finished by November 20th as Georgia law stipulates.
    All it takes if for a for a few well placed Trumpists in the recount team and we could have havoc. To manually count several million ballots in 9 days requires quite a lot of people.

And of course we've been told that recounts rarely change things by more than a few hundred votes. What if this is an "outlier" and the difference shifts by thousands. Trump will be calling for recounts everywhere.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    So which leaders aren't recognising Biden as President Elect yet ?

Just down to Jinping and Putin ?
    Johnson, Netanyahu and Bolsanaro are quite the trio to lose for Trump.
  • Dan Hannan was spouting shite, who could have foreseen that?

https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1326384326934745088
  • alex_ said:

Do they take a long time to manual count in the UK?
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Well, well.

Look what dropped into my inbox.

“The campaign for the next Commissioner for Public Appointments is now open until 22 November. The role of the Commissioner is important, providing independent assurance of the public appointments that the Government makes. The Commissioner should also be an active advocate for diversity and work with departments and the Cabinet Office’s Public Appointments Policy team in encouraging good candidates from a diverse range of backgrounds to consider applying for a public appointment.

The Commissioner can be based nationally and is supported by a small secretariat who are currently located in London. Regular travel to London and across the UK to meet with the team and stakeholders will be required as necessary.”

Is there any point to such a job? I mean, doesn’t Cummings or Carrie do this role?
  • Johnson on CSPAN.....does Trump watch it, or is it too serious?

https://twitter.com/Ike_Saul/status/1326547677660635140?s=20

I do love the fact that Boris referred to Trump as "the previous President".
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    edited November 2020
  • Pulpstar said:

My favourite Johnson clip talking about "out of his mind" and "unfit to be President" Trump

https://youtu.be/p4EAc0QFubs
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    Re the talk on earlier threads about coups in the US, this header from earlier this year is worth reposting:

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/03/11/political-rights-and-wrongs/

Replace “Britain” with “US” and it describes the US now, no?

alex_ said:

Do they take a long time to manual count in the UK?
    We don't tend to have many elections with 5 million votes in one constituency. Tend to be more like 50k. I'll be interested to know how many individuals are involved in carrying out the Georgia recount.
  • Cyclefree said:

Well, well.

Look what dropped into my inbox.

“The campaign for the next Commissioner for Public Appointments is now open until 22 November. The role of the Commissioner is important, providing independent assurance of the public appointments that the Government makes. The Commissioner should also be an active advocate for diversity and work with departments and the Cabinet Office’s Public Appointments Policy team in encouraging good candidates from a diverse range of backgrounds to consider applying for a public appointment.

The Commissioner can be based nationally and is supported by a small secretariat who are currently located in London. Regular travel to London and across the UK to meet with the team and stakeholders will be required as necessary.”

Is there any point to such a job? I mean, doesn’t Cummings or Carrie do this role?

I'm sure Dom or Carrie does do that role, but which one of them?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    I'd assume the GA recount is solely for the presidential race ?

A recount of all downballot races isn't really viable.
    Pulpstar said:

Yes technically this is not a recount. Recounts only happen after the vote is certified, on application by one side or another. This is an "audit", instigated by Election officials, which normally would involve a sample of the votes, but it appears that due to the closeness of the vote they are doing all of them.
    edited November 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Johnson and Netanyahu have recognised Biden as President elect, not sure Bolsonaro has as yet other than to hit out at Biden 'Taking a swipe at the US president-elect, Joe Biden, who is apparently threatening Brazil with sanctions if fires in the Amazon rainforest are not dealt with, Bolsonaro said that "diplomacy is not enough [...] there must be gunpowder" and his remark 'Trump is "not the most important person in the world, the most important person is God.'
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2020/nov/11/bolsonaro-takes-swipe-at-biden-and-again-dismisses-covid-deaths-video
    https://www.businessinsider.com/bolsonaro-trump-not-most-important-person-world-after-2020-election-2020-11?r=US&IR=T
  • alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes technically this is not a recount. Recounts only happen after the vote is certified, on application by one side or another. This is an "audit", instigated by Election officials, which normally would involve a sample of the votes, but it appears that due to the closeness of the vote they are doing all of them.
    What will the Toddler do when he still loses?
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,957

alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Toddle off into the sunset, quietly, respectfully.

(As if!)
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

No they don't.
    So do. Some want to go further and deport them. Some go even further than that and want to deport folk who've always lived here.

And, sadly, that's actually been happening.

alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

Ask for a recount, presumably ;)
    I don't think there's actually been any progress on either side for several months. They've just spent the time dealing with background issues like underlying legal texts etc. But no movement whatsoever on the issues that separate them.
  • Roy_G_Biv said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

No they don't.
    So do. Some want to go further and deport them. Some go even further than that and want to deport folk who've always lived here.

Nobody credible wants to stop foreigners coming here, nor is that the government policy. 🙄

Do you think (Covid-permitting) next year total immigration into the UK is going to be
    1. Zero
    2. Tens
    3. Hundreds
    4. Thousands
    5. Tens of thousands
    6. Hundreds of thousands
    Answers on a postcard please.
  • Roy_G_Biv said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

No they don't.

Nobody credible wants to stop foreigners coming here, nor is that the government policy. 🙄

Do you think (Covid-permitting) next year total immigration into the UK is going to be
    1. Zero
    2. Tens
    3. Hundreds
    4. Thousands
    5. Tens of thousands
    6. Hundreds of thousands
    You forgot to give the address, Philip.

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

lockhimup said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

(& thanks, @Charles )
    And actually, it seems to be a whole list of contractors along with Abbott Labs.
    So, the testing contracts awarded last week (not this) were for...
    Innova £496m - 'Lateral flow test kits'
    Randox £346m - “Provision of services to support the UK Covid-19 Testing Strategy.”
    Tanner Pharma £148m - 'Coronavirus AG Rapid Test Cassette (Swab)'
    Abbott Labs £120m - 'Lateral flow test kits'
    Oxford Nanopore Technologies Ltd £112m - 'Provision of LamPORE testing materials'

There is a £900m tender out this week, for provision of more lateral flow test kits through 'til March.

The £20bn 4year contract was for:
    "Pathology and Point of Care Testing, Associated Equipment, Instruments, Consumables and Accessories and Managed Services"
    And appears to have been awarded to numerous suppliers (too many to list).
    So presumably business as usual, if somewhat increased, for the NHS.

There is also a further £22bn tender out for the four year "national microbiology framework agreement". Whatever that might be.

Hope that clears it up.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    We cannot.

Which also, by the way, would prevent us from entering into an FTA with the US, and all their FTAs contain a provision requiring that intellectual property laws remain in lockstep with the US.

However, there do need to be provisions in an EU (or a Kenyan or Australian) deal that deal with what happens if a country passes laws that conflict with the agreement. So, say that British makers of steel use tantalum, because it's what we have locally, while EU makers use unobtanium (yeah, I'm making this shit up), and the EU were to pass a regulation banning tantalum from steel for environmental reasons, then there needs to be some way of dealing with the fact that they (or us) have passed laws that contravene the spirit of the agreement.

(The US and Canada have sparred endlessly over what are acceptable gasoline additives, with state governments across the US banning Canadian additives on pretty spurious grounds.)

This - inevitably - requires some compromising on sovereignty.
  • Some money available on the market by laying that Biden will get 54.99 million votes or less. Presumably the only way that wouldn't win is some kind of coup. If you have an inordinate amount of money and full confidence that everything is going to go smoothly, there is good money to be made there right now
    edited November 2020

Roy_G_Biv said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

No they don't.

1. Zero
    2. Tens
    3. Hundreds
    4. Thousands
    5. Tens of thousands
    6. Hundreds of thousands
    Seems strange to argue that UK immigration numbers are an indication of official government policy or what large numbers of the general public actually want.

Just means that what people want, and what the Government claim to want, bears no resemblence to what actually happens.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,199
    HYUFD said:

The greens are also in favour of trying to keep a reasonably habitable planet for the next few generations. I would have thought that would be in America's long term interests.

If you go by current polling, any coalition not involving CDU/CSU wouldn't work. There is zero chance of the CDU having any kind of arrangement with the Afd. CDU Green coalition is certainly possible, even likely, the SPD must be sick of being a somewhat pointless junior partner at national level.
  • Roy_G_Biv said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

No they don't.

1. Zero
    2. Tens
    3. Hundreds
    4. Thousands
    5. Tens of thousands
    6. Hundreds of thousands
    But the problem is that non-credible people still vote, non-credible people still get elected, and in a few select cases non-credible people achieve high office. You aren't a fool, you know they exist. And you know what's been happening with people being wrongly deported.
    Before you get into predictions about what is likely to happen, it's always good to start with a survey of what is happening and what has happened. Whether done by credible people or not.
  • Cyclefree said:

Re the talk on earlier threads about coups in the US, this header from earlier this year is worth reposting:

https://www7.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2020/03/11/political-rights-and-wrongs/

Replace “Britain” with “US” and it describes the US now, no?

It was hyperbolic with Britain.

It is accurate and concerning with the US.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2020
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

lockhimup said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

(& thanks, @Charles )
    So, the testing contracts awarded last week (not this) were for...
    Innova £496m - 'Lateral flow test kits'
    Randox £346m - “Provision of services to support the UK Covid-19 Testing Strategy.”
    Tanner Pharma £148m - 'Coronavirus AG Rapid Test Cassette (Swab)'
    Abbott Labs £120m - 'Lateral flow test kits'
    Oxford Nanopore Technologies Ltd £112m - 'Provision of LamPORE testing materials'

There is a £900m tender out this week, for provision of more lateral flow test kits through 'til March.

The £20bn 4year contract was for:
    "Pathology and Point of Care Testing, Associated Equipment, Instruments, Consumables and Accessories and Managed Services"
    And appears to have been awarded to numerous suppliers (too many to list).
    So presumably business as usual, if somewhat increased, for the NHS.

There is also a further £22bn tender out for the four year "national microbiology framework agreement". Whatever that might be.

Hope that clears it up.
    So not 44bn spent on project moonshot then as the FT claimed.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    Not a problem, so long as we don't expect to export products produced to different standards to the EU. It's impossible to expect them to accept goods not produced in a way consistent with their policies, any more than we'd import electrical goods that are maunfactured to different standards to ours.
This discussion has been closed.