Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

My tip for the US election 2024: Pete Buttigieg at 50/1 – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    I don't think Jim Acosta is the most objective reporter.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)
    The truth is the Democrats have a big in-built advantage within the EC and, as 2020 has shown, don't need Texas or Florida to win but if they can secure one or both of those along with Ohio, the Republicans are effectively shut out.

Can you explain what you mean by this?

As far as I can work out from my best guess of the results, the tipping point state will end up having a Biden lead of ~2pp, compared to a national vote lead of ~4pp.

That's a pretty large in-built advantage for the Republicans isn't it?
    There are 51 elements to the Electoral College - 50 states plus DC.

40 of these are "safe" for either the Democrats or the Republicans - 20 each as it happens.

The safe Democrat states include the populous ones like California, New York, Illinois and the East Coast and between them come to 226 EC votes.

The safe Republican states come to just 125 EC votes as they are all smaller populated states so bring fewer EC votes to the table.

The election is fought over the remaining 187 EC votes in 11 states.

Last time Trump won 10 of those 11 and Clinton only won Nevada despite winning the national poll by 2.1%. That was how vote efficient Trump was.

This time, even though he trails Biden by 2.9% currently (so a swing of just 0.4% from 2016), Trump is looking set to hold only four of the eleven - Iowa, Ohio, Texas and Florida which bring 91 to the table.

Biden looks set to hold Nevada and win Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Georgia and perhaps North Carolina so a very small change in national votes has had a fundamental impact on the Electoral College which could well end 306-232, the mirror image of 2016.

In 2004 when Bush beat Kerry by 2.4% (so closer than the 2020 election), he won the EC 286-251. No Republican has won a Presidential vote since and for all everyone talks about how Trump is emulating Carter, it's worth remembering George W Bush only just beat Kerry and no Republican has got above 51% nationally since George HW Bush in 1988.

My point is the Democrats start on 226 and only need 44 to reach 270. If they can convert states like Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania back to safe seats and perhaps put Texas into the "marginal" column, the task facing any future GOP Presidential candidate is going to be that much harder. As this election has shown, the Democrats can win without Texas and Florida and if Georgia's 16 EC votes are starting to move more into the blue column as well, the Republicans face a huge problem.
    Which is why I think this could be a seachange election result in the same way 1980 was when Carter lost, it then took 12 years for the Democrats to win a presidential election again, only doing so in 1992 when Bill Clinton won, the worry for the GOP is they could face the same fate and be out of the White House for the rest of the decade after Trump's defeat
    Could well be. No tears from me if it is.

And our WH2020 charity bet. Just remembered it. We did under/over 281 at 50p a point on Biden EC. So settling at the near certain 306, you have lost £12.50.

Sum to go to Mermaids.

Or if that makes you feel queasy because you think like Rowling that they specialize in bullying pre-pubescent children into a sex change, we could go for Shelter, or an org that I'm thinking is bang in line with your staid and crusty Tory identity - the National Trust.

No proof of payment required. I trust you. :smile:
    I will settle when all the results are in, if confirmed that Biden has won over 281 EC votes as is likely but not certain then I will pay up then but only once all votes are in and any recounts settled from the states adding up to 281 given Biden is currently on only 253 EC votes
    Understandable caution, given the size of the sum involved.
  • Options
    isam said:

"The greatest tragedy in all of this is that the gurus of wokedom have persuaded thousands of idealistic young people who rightly want to change the world into supporting what is actually a deeply reactionary movement. The trans activists can only realise their aim of being able to enter spaces reserved for women by erasing the female sex. Critical race theory remains credible only so long as black and brown people continue to fail. In the end, the woke movement is turning into an echo of the very oppressors it claims to be combating. After all the statues come down, and women’s prisons are opened to all and sundry, the celebrities and social media warriors will move on to the next fashionable cause — and minorities will still be less likely to win the top jobs, and women will still be the victims of violence. The only thing that will have changed is the bitterness of a generation whose idealism was betrayed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-march-of-wokeism-is-an-all-pervasive-new-oppression-s7dw3s5lr

Yawn.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

I don't think Jim Acosta is the most objective reporter.
    he's getting his concrete from four seasons landscaping.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Chris said:

Nate Silver thinks (though he is not sure) that ABC may call Pennsylvania when Biden's lead rises by around another 5,000 votes, taking it to 0.5%.

I think I heard that was the bar set by CNN too
  • Options
    edited November 2020

alex_ said:

isam said:

"The greatest tragedy in all of this is that the gurus of wokedom have persuaded thousands of idealistic young people who rightly want to change the world into supporting what is actually a deeply reactionary movement. The trans activists can only realise their aim of being able to enter spaces reserved for women by erasing the female sex. Critical race theory remains credible only so long as black and brown people continue to fail. In the end, the woke movement is turning into an echo of the very oppressors it claims to be combating. After all the statues come down, and women’s prisons are opened to all and sundry, the celebrities and social media warriors will move on to the next fashionable cause — and minorities will still be less likely to win the top jobs, and women will still be the victims of violence. The only thing that will have changed is the bitterness of a generation whose idealism was betrayed.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-march-of-wokeism-is-an-all-pervasive-new-oppression-s7dw3s5lr

This isn't far off the mark.....when you think about a lot of the woke identity stuff and start exclusively pigeon holing how races and religions as they all think x, all vote y, it is incredibly racist.

https://twitter.com/InayaFolarin/status/1272822320550289408?s=20
    There is quite a close similarity between many of the arguments put forward for "safe spaces" and segregation policies. Racial segregation was often advocated on the basis of protection of minorities.
    There are colleges in the US implementing non-white dorms....I mean I thought all those people in the 60s marched for ending exactly that kind of racist bullshit. The woke-ists will argue it is non-white people making a choice, rather than forced to do it, but that doesn't really wash with me. How are you going to break down mistrust, misunderstanding and bring people together, if people start demanding they live separately based upon the colour of their skin.
    And how, then, can you uphold a law that bars white people who choose to exclude others from their housing communities?
  • Options
    Trump's going to fight himself in an empty parking lot.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Trump's going to fight himself in an empty parking lot.
    Just across the road from the Cremation Centre......bonfire of his hopes?
  • Options
    TimT said:

Total Landscaping? Will he be bringing JCBs?
    They are called back hoes in the US. No-one will understand if you say JCBs.
    I thought Trump drained the swamp so US voters wouldn't have to back hoes?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811
    isam said:
    I think he is very over the top, but I do think that alleged confusion within the police over permissable activities is not always very credible, particularly as if they are going to act or threaten to act in some way they need to be certain of their powers and the rights of others, which means they surely must check. So at best they don't check before acting too often, even if total incident numbers are few.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    Erhhh.....For once, Trump did actually tell the truth, he literally said "Four Seasons Total Landscaping" in the tweet. The media read that as Four Seasons Hotel.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Fox: no significant updates expected from NC until back end of next week
  • Options
    Does anyone think it was supposed to be the Four Seasons Hotel but someone put the wrong name into a web search?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited November 2020
    Like an excerpt from the American version of The Office. Who would have thought the grand gestures of the Trump presidency would end in such bathos.

However - the unremarkably functional and post-industrial looking location may have some logic to it. I'm on your side in everytown USA, the little man against the media and establishment !
  • Options
    My favourite part is he has to claim it is by a lot, not merely that has won. It couldn't be that it was close and the sneaky buggers managed to steal it, it wasn't even close and they managed it.
  • Options
    I've obviously made a mathematical mistake here and want some help to know what exactly it is.

In the census data for Michigan is says the total population is 9,986,857

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/MI

21.5% of those are under 18 so that makes 78.5% of that figure which is 7,839,682 that are eligible to vote (a little more as perhaps the population has increased from 2010, but a little less as you need to deduct foreign nationals and anyone else excluded).

The number of registered voters in Michigan is 8,128,928

https://mvic.sos.state.mi.us/VoterCount

This is higher than the number of eligible voters, which is obviously wrong somehow.
  • Options
    Also, have you seen where that tweet is from? A cremation centre?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    Perhaps he will allege that the winning ballots have been buried under someone’s patio.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Does anyone think it was supposed to be the Four Seasons Hotel but someone put the wrong name into a web search?
    Or the hotel wasn';t asked first and said no, hence a quick ferret around for something not too obviously a foulup?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,028
  • Options

Also, have you seen where that tweet is from? A cremation centre?

Usefuil for burning ballot papers in PA.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Chris said:

Also from 538, apparently the "last major drop" of ballots from Maricopa County, Arizona, which currently has 92,000 outstanding, is expected at 4pm GMT.

The New York Times says "Officials there say nearly all of their early ballots will be counted by that point, and only a smaller number of provisional and other ballots will remain."

NYT says 97% reported, which would leave very little outside Maricopa County.

Perhaps Arisona can be called (reliably) in five minutes?
  • Options
    1.) That may be true because most teachers are pretty good at staying away from pupils.
    2.) I've been told to work from home anyway (I'm classed as "extremely vulnerable").
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Is he not doing this press conference himself then? Is some other poor sod going to have to stand there and claim some massive deep state conspiracy occurred?
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 4,856
    Could any of the other Dems in the primaries have won back the rust belt?

Biden’s moderate stance might have irritated the progressive wing of the party but can anyone seriously make an argument that Sanders or Warren would be winning this election .

The world seems just a better place to be today , for us liberals who’ve had nothing but pain for the last 4 years Biden’s win is a huge relief , for ardent Remainers even though the EU debate is over a sense of catharsis today , the anti EU anti international co-operation Trump will be going .

Europe as a whole will be celebrating today. A victory of hope and compassion over the disgusting divisive politics of Trump .
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Or the hotel wasn';t asked first and said no, hence a quick ferret around for something not too obviously a foulup?
    That sounds very plausible; it also explains why The Thick Of It is no longer being made: what's the point?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

I've obviously made a mathematical mistake here and want some help to know what exactly it is.

21.5% of those are under 18 so that makes 78.5% of that figure which is 7,839,682 that are eligible to vote (a little more as perhaps the population has increased from 2010, but a little less as you need to deduct foreign nationals and anyone else excluded).

This is higher than the number of eligible voters, which is obviously wrong somehow.

You do know that the census was 10 years ago, right? And current population estimates are therefore, er, an estimate? And an estimate made at about the most distant time from an actual census it is possible to be?
  • Options

Erhhh.....For once, Trump did actually tell the truth, he literally said "Four Seasons Total Landscaping" in the tweet. The media read that as Four Seasons Hotel.
    I believe Trump originally tweeted Four Seasons and then after folk contacted the Four Seasons hotel, deleted it and released the Four Seasons Total Landscaping one.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    This really is third world stuff.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    This looks like his coping strategy. Biden is about to be declared the winner.

Well, maybe.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

That sounds very plausible; it also explains why The Thick Of It is no longer being made: what's the point?
    The original twweet was for "Four Seasons" which rather suggests that. But actually onbe of the responses to this tweet is to the effect that the owner is related to a local Republican (I think?).

https://twitter.com/ColbyItkowitz/status/1325093302660718592
  • Options
    AZ down to 28k lead. Was that the big dump from Maricopa and, if so, is that all of them?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Good for Scotland outlawing hitting kids. Time England did the same
  • Options
    edited November 2020

I believe Trump originally tweeted Four Seasons and then after folk contacted the Four Seasons hotel, deleted it and released the Four Seasons Total Landscaping one.
    Perhaps. In the crazy world of Trump, who knows. But worth pointing out, that he owns a golf course in Philadelphia, why wouldn't he just do it from there if it was just about having a venue?
  • Options
    Trump catching up in AZ: not sure it's enough, but I can see why most networks haven't called it.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Is he not doing this press conference himself then? Is some other poor sod going to have to stand there and claim some massive deep state conspiracy occurred?
    IIRC the original tweet said "Lawyers" (yes, not blokes with cement mixers).
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    MrEd said:

Anyway, does anyone think Russia interfered in this election, like they did in 2016?

:)

DNI Ratcliffe and FBI Director Wray have already stated that Russia has been interfering. You would have to be a fool to dismiss their opinion on this matter, as there really are no other people better positioned to know about such things.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

You do know that the census was 10 years ago, right? And current population estimates are therefore, er, an estimate? And an estimate made at about the most distant time from an actual census it is possible to be?
    I was wondering this. There was a census due this year... did it happen?
  • Options

Perhaps. In the crazy world of Trump, who knows. But worth pointing out, that he owns a golf course in Philadelphia, why wouldn't he just do it from there if it was just about having a venue?
    Well, we'll know in about half-an-hour. How far is the garden centre from the hotel?

(Yes, I know, Google is your friend)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    edited November 2020

Trump catching up in AZ: not sure it's enough, but I can see why most networks haven't called it.

Edit - they had wrong numbers
  • Options
    If Malmesbury is around please ... no.

Not right now. Not when we may be about to get the results that call the 46th President of the USA.
  • Options
    24,957 new COVID cases in the UK.
  • Options
    TimT said:

AZ down to 28k lead. Was that the big dump from Maricopa and, if so, is that all of them?

20.5k, but probably not enough votes left to bridge the gap.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Question about electoral college skew a while ago. It turns out that the skew had previously favoured Democrats (since 1996) but it seems this is largely because they won the most popular votes in that time, so it is a similar effect to the so-called cube rule under FPTP. The issue in 2016-20 is that California and Texas moved toward Democrats but not in a way that was useful for electoral votes, so the popular vote would now be more useful to Democrats.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Wasserman says better but not good enough for TRump.
  • Options
    I wish people would make up their minds whether all the stuff beforehand is just flappery as prelude to deal, or if the gov was really aiming for no deal before changing their minds late on. It makes a big difference on the specifics of any criticism.
  • Options

This looks like his coping strategy. Biden is about to be declared the winner.

Well, maybe.
    The wildlife better watch out

'Ducks and geese battered to death with golf club at Tredegar'

https://tinyurl.com/yxoaf98m
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Roy_G_Biv said:

alex_ said:

Yes, census day was in April but efforts to find non-responders carried on till last month. The census is mandated by the Constitution.
  • Options

TimT said:

20.5k, but probably not enough votes left to bridge the gap.
    Apparently about 7,000 ballots from Yuma County took it down to about 28k and 40,000 from Maricopa County took it to 20.5k.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259
    If anyone is following the discussion about 2016 Michigan I advise to actually read the articles that MrEd and DAlexander are linking to, which make clear:

1. The issue was the total votes according to the machines being different (usually more) to the numbers of voters coming to vote as tallied by humans - NOT there being more votes than registered voters as repeatedly implied.
    2. The articles blame human error for the differences.
    3. The machines registered a few hundred "extra" votes. Not enough to make any difference.
    4. Republicans were running the election in Michigan

Yet it somehow justifies what Trump and Republicans are doing now!
  • Options

24,957 new COVID cases in the UK.

Still bad - but not the total 'mare of France - double that!
  • Options
    Lockdown should continue in Merthyr Tydfil "for weeks, even months", according to a top doctor. Cwm Taf Morgannwg health board consultant Dr Dai Samuel questioned whether current measures were working.

It is a fall in infection rates by 100 in a matter of days, but it still remains one of the worst rates in the UK, and nearly a third of people in the area who were tested returned positive results.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54837387
  • Options

alex_ said:

isam said:

This isn't far off the mark.....when you think about a lot of the woke identity stuff and start exclusively pigeon holing how races and religions as they all think x, all vote y, it is incredibly racist.

There is quite a close similarity between many of the arguments put forward for "safe spaces" and segregation policies. Racial segregation was often advocated on the basis of protection of minorities.
    There are colleges in the US implementing non-white dorms....I mean I thought all those people in the 60s marched for ending exactly that kind of racist bullshit. The woke-ists will argue it is non-white people making a choice, rather than forced to do it, but that doesn't really wash with me. How are you going to break down mistrust, misunderstanding and bring people together, if people start demanding they live separately based upon the colour of their skin.
    When I was at university in the 1990s, our college had an all female corridor (aka nuns' corridor) where they unilaterally decided to place most of the first year women with vaguely Muslim sounding or South Asian names - including the woman who became my girlfriend and is now my wife. It was a bit self defeating as most of them soon got boyfriends who stayed over most nights (they had really nice showers). I guess they were trying to do the right thing and we mostly just laugh about it now, but it was kind of dodgy AF.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

alex_ said:

Yes, census day was in April but efforts to find non-responders carried on till last month. The census is mandated by the Constitution.
    Cool, thanks. So all that data is not yet crunched and published and we're looking at 2010 data?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Wasserman says better but not good enough for TRump.

IF he carried on at the same vote share as in the latest batch,(59.3%) he'd just edge it as he needs 57.02% - but the two previous batches were ±55% to Trump.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,500
    edited November 2020

You keep on falling for fake/outdated news, I'm embarrassed for you.

Social media users have been sharing content online that claims that eight key election states had a higher number of votes cast than there were registered voters, therefore being evidence of electoral fraud. This claim is false as the numbers of registered voters presented are outdated.....

MICHIGAN

The posts give Michigan’s registered voters total as 5,453,000 and projected votes as 5,716,581.

The Michigan Voter Information Center has registered voter statistics on its website here . The number shown at the time of publication is 8,127,804 (no date). This number is significantly higher than the number shown in the claim.

Michigan allows same day voter registration ( here and here ) .

The Detroit Free Press reported that voter turnout in Michigan is projected to be between 53% to 55% ( here ) .

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-table-voter-registration-st/fact-checktable-shows-outdated-voter-registration-numbers-for-eight-key-states-idUSKBN27L2Y8

Also the census figure is an estimate from 2019.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    FFS....a whole BBC article making claims about effectiveness of the firebreak on things like hospital admissions....you can't f##king tell you tw@ts.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54781288
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I wish people would make up their minds whether all the stuff beforehand is just flappery as prelude to deal, or if the gov was really aiming for no deal before changing their minds late on. It makes a big difference on the specifics of any criticism.
    I'm with HYUFD on this: Boris will cave. Nevertheless, the EU will graciously allow him to declare 'significant concessions' and will play along with the idea that he's making a fight of it.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/benyc/status/1325108549798809600?s=20

It sounds like Pa. is getting close to winding this up
  • Options

alex_ said:

isam said:

When I was at university in the 1990s, our college had an all female corridor (aka nuns' corridor) where they unilaterally decided to place most of the first year women with vaguely Muslim sounding or South Asian names - including the woman who became my girlfriend and is now my wife. It was a bit self defeating as most of them soon got boyfriends who stayed over most nights (they had really nice showers). I guess they were trying to do the right thing and we mostly just laugh about it now, but it was kind of dodgy AF.
    There were still two all-female colleges at Oxford when I was there. Somerville went mixed fairly soon after: one story was that they realised it was inevitable when they had a fire-alarm one night and there where more men than women on the grass of the quad...
  • Options

alex_ said:

isam said:

Thirty years earlier there was a Women only Teachers Training College (in Ripon IIRC) where the girls were allowed to have ,male visitors on a Sunday afternoon, but had to push the beds out into the corridor. Known as the Virgins Retreat.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,662
    ping said:

Alistair said:

Nate Silver linked to an excellent hot take about possible source of polling error.

https://twitter.com/kombiz/status/1325059234950770689?s=19

I think I heard on the rcp podcast, landline response rates to polls were now 2%. Surely that means random sample is now all but impossible?

The big disappointment, for me, was the failure of yougovs mrp. I had high hopes for that.
    Seltzer managed it in Iowa.
    But it is very expensive and time consuming.
  • Options

alex_ said:

isam said:

There were still two all-female colleges at Oxford when I was there. Somerville went mixed fairly soon after: one story was that they realised it was inevitable when they had a fire-alarm one night and there where more men than women on the grass of the quad...
    I had a friend there - no, not that kind, but I do remember the furniture, including beds and dining room chairs, being about 3/4 of the size of the ones in men's colleges. Do you have that same memory, of it being a bit like visiting primary schooll and trying to sit down at a desk?
  • Options

kle4 said:

I'm with HYUFD on this: Boris will cave. Nevertheless, the EU will graciously allow him to declare 'significant concessions' and will play along with the idea that he's making a fight of it.
    I would expect that too, and I think that's generally how negotiations go and each side pretends (with varying sincerity) to have conceded something but gotten something significant, since it helps sell it to their own side and help the other sell side it to theirs.

But there is a difference between whether it was always intended to thrash out a deal even if it meant 'caving' and talk of no deal was indeed just talk, or whether, as some alleged, the preference was no deal even though they claimed to want a deal, and so they've been forced into changing position.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Arizona looks tight to me, everywhere else does not
  • Options
    AbeAbe Posts: 2
    Kamala is in to 360. She was at 600 recently. I hope Joe is OK and hasn't got a cough.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:
    WTAF? If this is a genuine press conference by Trump lawyers its a shit show. If the venue is the Four Seasons hotel not the neighbours of the porn shop its a shit show.

Bravo. Armando Iannouchi keeps coming up with the goods in this new season of Veep
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

alex_ said:

isam said:

I had a friend there - no, not that kind, but I do remember the furniture, including beds and dining room chairs, being about 3/4 of the size of the ones in men's colleges. Do you have that same memory, of it being a bit like visiting primary schooll and trying to sit down at a desk?
    I don't remember that: by that time there were no men's colleges. Oriel (which was my college) was the last to go mixed, but had been mixed for three years by the time I went up.
  • Options
    The President elect will be on the move.

Great spot.
  • Options
    Biden 31K ahead in PA
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,662
    MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

MrEd said:

OllyT said:

MrEd said:

Morning all. Thank you David for the tip. I think 50/1 is good enough for Pete but I wouldn't go much shorter than this. I think there is no way KH would allow herself to be pushed out of the way for the Presidency and, if Joe B steps down before, she is automatically in the driving seat.

Now for the hand grenade. Apologies if this was posted before and some of you may now this already. Anyway re the counts.

One misnomer about US elections is that voters get to choose which electors are sent to the Electoral College. Actually they don't. It the state legislatures in each state. The Supreme Court has been specific on this and it has also been specific that the authority lies with the state legislatures, not the Supreme Courts of each state or the Governor or the Secretary of State.

The US Supreme Court has ruled explicitly post-2016 that electors cannot be faithless and must abide by the rulings of the state legislature.

Normally, this wouldn't matter as it is a case of procedure. This year it could come very much into play. The state legislatures of Pennsylvania, Michigan and Georgia are all Republican led.

There is one scenario where the state legislatures in each state simply refuse to accept the results, claiming that there has been electoral fraud and appoints its own electors under mandate. This is why the fact that the RNC and the Republican Establishment have lined up behind Trump is important. It suggests the Republican machinery is set to fight.

Would this be catastrophic? Yes Undemocratic? Yes (but there are legitimate questions over the way elections have been run in the cities) Is it possible? Also yes.

That isn't a realistic scenario as the legal cases would run the other way, requiring the certification of votes in those states in the absence of evidence of widespread fraud. These cases would certainly succeed.

Secondly, this only conceivably works where the state has unified GOP governance, like Georgia. But, in that case, THEY are the ones running the election so they'd be saying their own process was fraudulant.

Additionally, you'd have to be looking at Republican majorities in state legislatures blocking certification the result in their own state, disenfranchising the majority of their own voters (and a fair number of Republican voters too - even if a majority of Republicans supported it, a sizable minority have not drunk the Kool Aid). That'd be very, very, very "brave".

Again, utterly unrealistic moving of divisions that don't exist around a map in the bunker.
    Over the last month Mr Ed has hypothesised various theories explaining how Trump is going to win. One by one they have all fallen by the wayside. This one will go the same way.
    So first of all you are right OllyT, I thought that Trump would win the election and I was wrong. I also said that there were a number of reasons why Biden wouldn’t get the landslide many predicted on here, and on that I was right.

(By the way, one of the reasons I said Trump would win was that the Hispanics didn’t see themselves as either one bloc or as part of the big happy “People of Colour” family that many on here did. Who was right there?)
    I don’t think that latter point is a particularly partisan one either way, but one of growing recognition on both sides.
    The next election could be fought very differently, as even the Guardian seems to have noticed.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/07/how-democrats-latino-voters-texas-border-towns
    Latino voters should be a natural ally for the GOP, they are (generally) socially conservative, have actively sought to come to the US to make a better life and so on. They finally seemed to have worked that out. It will be interesting to see how the Democrats respond. So far, it seems to be disappointment about voting for Trump
    Strange sentiments from one arguing they ought not to be viewed as a monolithic bloc...
  • Options
    edited November 2020
  • Options
    CNN calls for BIDEN!
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    Finally
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,028
    Here we, here we, here we fucking go...
  • Options
    Yes!
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Abe said:

Kamala is in to 360. She was at 600 recently. I hope Joe is OK and hasn't got a cough.

This is close to the territory of gambling which is illegal even in the UK. That being said, doing the maths, 360 is more reasonable than 600 in the time frame.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited November 2020
    CNN calling it for Biden.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    CNN states Biden is the winner.
  • Options
    Biden called as President. CNN
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Arizona looks tight to me, everywhere else does not

Apparently the remainder of ballots from Maricopa County are miscellaneous kinds that have to be counted by hand, including "Braille ballots (which can run hundreds of pages)".
  • Options
    edited November 2020

CNN calling it for Biden.

FAKKKKKEEE NEWS MEDIA....

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1325099845045071873?s=20
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609
    Finally.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    CNN calls it
  • Options
    Way to go CNN.

They have called it.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    So CNN waited for him to go from 28K lead to 30K lead,,,,those damn statistics!
    Congratulations Joe Biden
  • Options
    CNN are loving this.
  • Options
    CNN not holding back on their description of Trump!
This discussion has been closed.