Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why this isn’t looking like 2016 redux – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Trump is Corbyn, May is Hillary, Boris is Biden and 2020 is to 2016 what 2019 was to 2017.

I'll jump in to save someone from going 'But Corbyn is nothing like Trump' to note it's the situation not the person.
    The parallels are tenuous, other than both politicians evident delight in practical campaigning I cannot see it. I think this analogy distracts from a specific UK PM who displays distinct Trumpian values personal and situational. And my god 'Boris as Biden' care to explain?
    I already did - situation not person. Some thought 2019 would be 2017 all over again, and it wasn't.

I really don't know why people find applying the same logic to the US hard to understand, even if they disagree and do think 2020 will be 2016 redux.

The personalities of those involved is irrelevant to the analogy.
    The ideologies were different
    The perspective voter classes different
    The media environment different
    Trump is backed to the hilt by his party elite, Corbyn was never supported

I can only bridge the two by saying one was the left crying out against the orthodoxy and the other the right.
    Trump was hated not backed to the hilt by his party elite. The Lincoln Project etc are all ran by former party elite who fled the party after Trump's acolytes took it over. Sound at all familiar?
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431

I've said many times, Starmer is probably to the right of my personal politics - but I have accepted the country isn't where I am and that's reality. And yet that is somehow seen as a bad thing.

Same here. But also, a leader's values and competence are more important to me than their exact position on the political spectrum. There are plenty of people who support left wing policies that I also support, but who I wouldn't want anywhere near power, because they are intolerant of opposing views.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731

ping said:

Btw, in the few years since I was posting as @Pong my politics has swung from the internationalist-liberal-left to a soft nationalist-centre-right. I’m very comfortable with the new emerging boris-starmer consensus.

I’ve surprised myself tbh.

Welcome back.

So you've pong-pinged from one position to the other.
    Indeed 😀
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    Bristol illegal rave attended by 700 people

Police say they are continuing to deal with an illegal rave at a warehouse near Bristol.

Officers who were called to Yate at around 22:30 GMT on Saturday said up to 700 people were in attendance.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-54769055
  • Options

kle4 said:

Trump is Corbyn, May is Hillary, Boris is Biden and 2020 is to 2016 what 2019 was to 2017.

I'll jump in to save someone from going 'But Corbyn is nothing like Trump' to note it's the situation not the person.
    The parallels are tenuous, other than both politicians evident delight in practical campaigning I cannot see it. I think this analogy distracts from a specific UK PM who displays distinct Trumpian values personal and situational. And my god 'Boris as Biden' care to explain?
    The parallels between Corbyn and Trump are remarkable. Cyclefree did an excellent thread header commenting on it but you can dig much deeper.

Between Boris and Biden it is more the situation than the people but there are some similarities.

Both gaffe-prone.

Both could have been natural successors last time (as Veep/figurehead of Vote Leave).

Both never ended up running last time and beaten by a female rival instead, due to lack of support for them getting the top job from within their own party.

Biden dismissed as past it/too old/senile like Boris is dismissed as clownish/lazy/unserious.

Both "good enough" to defeat the opponent they're faced with.
    I think you're grasping a little.

Biden is a 30+ year senatorial centrist, lauded for his ability to compromise. He's the iconic safe pair of hands. Maybe not a superstar but a stolid VP who was loyal to a fault to Obama. A member of Delaware's middle classes, not academic but personable and respected within the state.

I cannot see Johnson in Biden. Yes Biden miss-speaks and makes gaffes but he is nearing his 80th decade. He was never the class clown and doesn't play to the gallery.

I think your conflating circumstantial evidence to make such a comparison.

VP to vote leave figure head, really?

Both dismissed for their perceived faults?

As I (and kle4) said it is the situation more than the personalities.

But you seem to be responding to caricature of both of them. Johnson too is someone who can compromise, he is more liberal than his party and was able to twice win London as a result.
  • Options
    kicorse said:

I've said many times, Starmer is probably to the right of my personal politics - but I have accepted the country isn't where I am and that's reality. And yet that is somehow seen as a bad thing.

Same here. But also, a leader's values and competence are more important to me than their exact position on the political spectrum. There are plenty of people who support left wing policies that I also support, but who I wouldn't want anywhere near power, because they are intolerant of opposing views.
    I would be backing Starmer even if he was Blair 2.0, the fact he is sufficiently left wing is just icing on the cake for me personally.

He's by every measure, the best leader Labour has had since Blair.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1322915153260806144

30% think they don't go far enough, Johnson's support base is splintering.

Meanwhile...

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1322214538251481088
  • Options

kicorse said:

I would be backing Starmer even if he was Blair 2.0, the fact he is sufficiently left wing is just icing on the cake for me personally.

Not a high bar to pass but I agree. He's a real threat. Would be a disaster but he's a threat.
  • Options
    JACK_WJACK_W Posts: 651
    edited November 2020
    Gov Mike DeWine of Ohio (R) on CNN says close race in Ohio but Trump to win by 2 points. Trump was +8 in 2016.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I already did - situation not person. Some thought 2019 would be 2017 all over again, and it wasn't.

I really don't know why people find applying the same logic to the US hard to understand, even if they disagree and do think 2020 will be 2016 redux.

I can only bridge the two by saying one was the left crying out against the orthodoxy and the other the right.
    Trump was hated not backed to the hilt by his party elite. The Lincoln Project etc are all ran by former party elite who fled the party after Trump's acolytes took it over. Sound at all familiar?
    Where are the senatorial rebellions then? Where are the masses of outspoken governors? Where's the Bush condemnation as Blair did.

The governing republican party has fallen in line. The Labour parliamentary party never did.

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

Trump is supported by the most popular news channel in the US, if Corbyn was supported by the Mail it might be equivalent here

If Corbyn was supported by the Mail they'd have a circulation of zero. His problem isn't a lack of support. His problem is that he's an unpleasant frothing loon.

There's lots to like about the Labour party, Corbyn isn't part of that though. I'm a very reasonable man, and I'd not really want to hurt anyone. Corbyn though I'd happily hear has had a plague of stubbed toes or small fires in his beard.
  • Options
    18-24 year old support for the new lockdown is disappointing.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

Nigelb said:
    The positivity rate there is staggering.
    Prepare to be even more staggered:

twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1322578756511375364

twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1322582337293529089

twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1322398986385457152

twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1322329888079175686

By comparison:

twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1322593265196142593

Note the difference in hospital usage as well.

Remember when everybody was pointing to Italy and saying well they seem to be doing well, little sign of second wave.
    When I was there in September, they were doing very well, and had an exceptional level of compliance with the rules including mask wearing, etc.

To see how quickly the situation there has deteriorated there is shocking. The conclusion I draw, having left Italy just as the summer weather was slipping away, is that being outdoors really is protective, whilst mixing with others indoors is asking for trouble.

My guess is that the Italians took their summer habit of meeting with friends and family in bars and restaurants outdoors, which was relatively safe, indoors when the weather changed.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Trump is supported by the most popular news channel in the US, if Corbyn was supported by the Mail it might be equivalent here

If Corbyn was supported by the Mail they'd have a circulation of zero. His problem isn't a lack of support. His problem is that he's an unpleasant frothing loon.

There's lots to like about the Labour party, Corbyn isn't part of that though. I'm a very reasonable man, and I'd not really want to hurt anyone. Corbyn though I'd happily hear has had a plague of stubbed toes or small fires in his beard.
    I think you'll find I have very few nice words to say about Corbyn since the election and most definitely since the EHRC report.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,480
    edited November 2020
    HYUFD said:

It is actually frequently the case that Presidents who are re elected to see their party fail to win the House, that was the case in 2012, 1996, 1984 and 1972 and 1956 for instance so I don't see why the Democrats holding the House should be that much different. There are of course plenty of white working class Trump Democrats especially in states like Michigan and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin that were generally blue states before Trump and had not voted for a Republican for President since Reagan in 1984 or Bush Snr in 1988 who will split their ticket and vote Trump for President and Democrat for Congress (while in Western states like California and Arizona there will be the reverse, suburban upper middle class voters who will likely vote Biden for President but Republican for Congress).

Neither the Congressional nor Presidential polls show much if any movement of Trump 2016 voters to Biden, any movement Biden has see has mainly come from third party voters in 2016 but some of those will also go for Trump

If you read the piece I talked about the President's party being the incumbent majority in the House.

In 2012, 1996, 1984, 1972, nor 1956 was the winning President's party the incumbent majority, unlike today.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,023

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Where are the senatorial rebellions then? Where are the masses of outspoken governors? Where's the Bush condemnation as Blair did.

The governing republican party has fallen in line. The Labour parliamentary party never did.

Not all, Senator Romney even voted to impeach Trump
  • Options

kicorse said:

Its not a level playing field. Following Corbyn and up against Johnson is much easier than following Blair and up against Cameron. Brown or Miliband would both have been better suited to the current challenges than they were the ones they faced, hard to judge who is best with any confidence when their tasks are quite different.
  • Options

kicorse said:

Its not a level playing field. Following Corbyn and up against Johnson is much easier than following Blair and up against Cameron. Brown or Miliband would both have been better suited to the current challenges than they were the ones they faced, hard to judge who is best with any confidence when their tasks are quite different.
    If Starmer had followed up Brown Labour would have likely formed a minority Government in 2015.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    IanB2 said:

Nigelb said:

By comparison:

Remember when everybody was pointing to Italy and saying well they seem to be doing well, little sign of second wave.
    When I was there in September, they were doing very well, and had an exceptional level of compliance with the rules including mask wearing, etc.

To see how quickly the situation there has deteriorated there is shocking. The conclusion I draw, having left Italy just as the summer weather was slipping away, is that being outdoors really is protective, whilst mixing with others indoors is asking for trouble.

My guess is that the Italians took their summer habit of meeting with friends and family in bars and restaurants outdoors, which was relatively safe, indoors when the weather changed.
    The other problem as I highlighted, belief in not expanding testing (nor as Max and I repeatedly advocate going out to find the virus), rather going for rapid tests to supposedly enable a track and trace system. The problem is I repeated say, such a manual system just isn't a good defence, you can't do this fast enough.

So I would guess what has happened is again it has been spreading quietly away, much less testing than here, and now its gone pop as it has hit the oldies (just like Feb / March).
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited November 2020
    Ed M I believe to have been one of the greatest PMs we never had, he came too early.

His 2015 campaign was a disaster, Labour then had no vision or idea on what it was for or where it was going. It got stuck in the past. Corbyn can be credited with stopping that, of course it was a disaster.

But team Starmer isn't team Blairite which is equally good.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,629

Police say they are continuing to deal with an illegal rave at a warehouse near Bristol.

Officers who were called to Yate at around 22:30 GMT on Saturday said up to 700 people were in attendance.

Were The Worzels playing a set?
  • Options
    Been shopping in Matalan (I know, I am a classy bitch...). Somewhat chaotic scenes with a lot of shoppers buying a lot of items. And yet when I was chatting to the staff about the queue they told me that the haven't been told what the plan is for Thursday onwards. "You're being closed aren't you?" - "Management say that we don't know that yet".

Clothes shops busy lobbying Tory backbenchers to keep them open as essential?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yeah, if we try hard enough we'll be able to find a way in which any two people or situations are comparable. The similarities between 2019 UK and 2016 US are greater, though even then that comparison is unfair. British politics is badly damaged, but it's just not as broken as US politics.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,227

kicorse said:

Not a high bar to pass but I agree. He's a real threat. Would be a disaster but he's a threat.
    The Tories point to every Labour leader and say they would be a "disaster", but you know what? The Tories then go and screw the country so badly that it is genuinely hard to see how Labour could be worse than the total and utter balls up we are left with.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    It will be interesting to see once we have all the results in whether Biden has done better relatively in States where there are close Senate races, like Iowa, Michigan and Georgia, or where there is a major fight for control of State houses, like TX
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited November 2020
    Trump is not like Corbyn or Boris. Or even Farage.

Trump really is something out of this world -- a huge and grotesque caricature of greed and brutality and ugliness and stupidity.

The only character I can think of who at all resembles Donald Trump is Ubu Roi.

And whilst the Republicans own most of this dark and brutal tumour on the human soul -- we should not forget that other parties have supped with this evil man.

He was a registered Democrat between 2002 and 2009.

And, although the SNP probably do not care to be reminded, Alex Salmond appointed him a globalScot ambassador between 2006 and 2015, before Sturgeon stripped him of the title.

(Wiki tells me Ubu Roi is fat, ugly, vulgar, gluttonous, grandiose, dishonest, stupid, jejune, voracious, greedy, cruel, cowardly and evil. That's Trump).
  • Options

Bristolians really love been referred to as Somerset rustics.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,170

Trump really is something out of this world -- a huge and grotesque caricature of greed and brutality and ugliness and stupidity.

And whilst the Republicans own most of this dark and brutal tumour on the human soul -- we should not forget that other parties have supped with this evil man.

And, although the SNP probably do not care to be reminded, Alex Salmond appointed him a globalScot ambassador between 2006 and 2015, before Sturgeon stripped him of the title.

Yes but brutality?

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,433

If Biden does win, I think the chances Starmer wins in 2024 increase.

I don't think there is any correlation.
    It sets on course, IMHO, a decade of centrist/centre-left parties having a resurgence. It began with Jacinda and might end with Starmer.
    Arden's achievement was hardline border control.

Not what you associate with centrist/centre-left parties.
    I wouldn't say it was hardline border control but I do think it was sold very intelligently. Not as anti-immigration but as a resource issue.

That is where I think Starmer will go - and it shows with his support for Johnson's original deal which lets him implement an end to FOM.
    Quite a few on the left want action on globalisation - while they are loath to describe it as cracking down on immigration, things like a high, enforced minimum wage, heavy unionisation, skills requirements etc would tend to create a situation like Switzerland.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Good a time as any for my final WH2020 prediction then. No malarkey, here’s the deal –

Given I’ve long thought Donald Trump unelectable for a second term I’m not about to change my mind now the polls have come around and are playing ball. Is it Covid that has doomed him? Maybe. Who cares. All that matters atm are the number of votes and where they fall.

One thing you can say for Trump is that he enthuses lots of people. Just because I can't empathize with this doesn't mean I don't see it. Such love for the man. Hence why he’s going to get more votes than anyone has ever gotten before in a US presidential election. Amazing.

But tough shit because Joe Biden will beat it by over 10 million.

This will be sufficient to take the RustBelt, plus NC and AZ, plus at least 2 of FL, TX, GA, OH.

So, a clear win in both PV and EC. Trump below 200 in the latter. ByeDon.

See you on the other side - :smile:
  • Options

Omnium said:

I think you'll find I have very few nice words to say about Corbyn since the election and most definitely since the EHRC report.
    I don't think Corbyn ever captured the hearts of mainstream Labour supporters. His popularity was mainly around the fact that he seemed to be invigorating the tribe. Particularly capturing an adoring youth vote.

You get what you get with party leaders though. I didn't much like May as a leader, although at times she really did well. If you're a LD then you've got the problems double strength - leader trouble and party trouble.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Have you not been paying attention to all the Republicans who have endorsed Biden or opposed Trump? Literally hundreds of big Republican names have rebelled against the party line.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Republicans_who_oppose_the_Donald_Trump_2020_presidential_campaign
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    'ByeDon :smile:
    © @kinabalu
  • Options
    Cicero said:

kicorse said:

The Tories point to every Labour leader and say they would be a "disaster", but you know what? The Tories then go and screw the country so badly that it is genuinely hard to see how Labour could be worse than the total and utter balls up we are left with.
    And indeed, no Labour PM has ever come anywhere close to living down to these warnings. It's the left who are unhappy with McDonald, Blair and Brown in hindsight. Wilson is respected and Attlee revered. Closest would be Callaghan, but compare him to Heath....
  • Options

Nigelb said:

By comparison:

Yes - i was aware of the positivity rates in most of those countries. Like them, the French rate is staggering, combined with the testing levels. What is France really at now? 200K infections per day, possibly.

When you combine testing levels etc, it is clear that COVID is going up very steeply across Europe.

I'm still looking for any population surveys (ONS /REACT style) that have been done in these countries..??
  • Options
    TimT said:

felix said:

What worries most is that it does seem that whatever governments do or don't do has little bearing on what is happening. The only conclusion seems to be that the public are not complying in sufficient numbers to stop the spread. I also suspect that the percentages of the miscreants is probably low but that is all it takes! Profoundly depressing.
    Early modeling during the initial Wuhan outbreak (from Imperial IIRC) showed that as little as 10% non-compliance would effectively invalidate suppression (although it would still flatten the curve).
    A link to the that study we be useful - I could use it to beat some idiots I know round the head...

"Yes, I know we need a lockdown. But I deserve to have 30 people round for Christmas. and I deserve a holiday in the Sun....." etc etc...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Not all, Senator Romney even voted to impeach Trump
    Lol @ "even"
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

kle4 said:

The parallels between Corbyn and Trump are remarkable. Cyclefree did an excellent thread header commenting on it but you can dig much deeper.

Between Boris and Biden it is more the situation than the people but there are some similarities.

Both gaffe-prone.

Both could have been natural successors last time (as Veep/figurehead of Vote Leave).

Both never ended up running last time and beaten by a female rival instead, due to lack of support for them getting the top job from within their own party.

Biden dismissed as past it/too old/senile like Boris is dismissed as clownish/lazy/unserious.

You're so full of shit. I didn't read the cyclefree article but if she said 'the parallels between Trump and Corbyn are remarkable' I'd be amazed. It's crap and therefore got your handwriting all over it. cyclefree considers what she posts.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    TimT said:

geoffw said:

© @kinabalu

Not kinabalu's but an official Biden campaign sticker.
    Then 'ByeDon © Biden. :smile:
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    to show how ridiculous it is to make comparisons between moderate Democrats and the current Labour leadership consider that Obama thought Ed Miliband brand of socialism was extreme
    It is shocking that both Teresa May The Tory govt has been applying Labours 2015 manifesto and yet none of the mainstream media have labelled the policies as extreme because one suspects nearly all the MSM's personnel private opinions are located loosely around Ed Miliband worldviews
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,284

(Wiki tells me Ubu Roi is fat, ugly, vulgar, gluttonous, grandiose, dishonest, stupid, jejune, voracious, greedy, cruel, cowardly and evil. That's Trump).

Call me Dr Suspicious, my dear sleepy old poet, but do I get the feeling you don’t really like Trump very much?
  • Options
  • Options
    geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

© @kinabalu

One of the puns I've got ready for the election night threads is

'It's Joe, Bye Don!'

Don't worry MrEd et al, I've also got some puns if Don wins.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Salmond appointed him globalscot ambassador when the Country was run by the Lab-Lib coalition?

That's some going by the man.
  • Options

TimT said:

felix said:

What worries most is that it does seem that whatever governments do or don't do has little bearing on what is happening. The only conclusion seems to be that the public are not complying in sufficient numbers to stop the spread. I also suspect that the percentages of the miscreants is probably low but that is all it takes! Profoundly depressing.
    Early modeling during the initial Wuhan outbreak (from Imperial IIRC) showed that as little as 10% non-compliance would effectively invalidate suppression (although it would still flatten the curve).
    A link to the that study we be useful - I could use it to beat some idiots I know round the head...

"Yes, I know we need a lockdown. But I deserve to have 30 people round for Christmas. and I deserve a holiday in the Sun....." etc etc...
    I am not sure I have it. I did an interview with a Chinese TV programme back in late January, and the interviewer threw it at me mid-interview.
  • Options
    Roger said:

kle4 said:

Both gaffe-prone.

You're so full of shit. I didn't read the cyclefree article but if she said 'the parallels between Trump and Corbyn are remarkable' I'd be amazed. It's crap and therefore got your handwriting all over it. cyclefree considers what she posts.
    No shit Sherlock.
    You know shit.
    You think Brexit is a piece of shit.
    I think Brexit is the shit.
    You don't give a shit for sovereignty
    and I won't take shit from you
    though we agree Trump is a piece of shit.
    Anyway I now have shit to do.

see Ismo Leikola https://youtu.be/jcAdwNOfyUQ

• Options
    edited November 2020

geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

© @kinabalu

'It's Joe, Bye Don!'

You could go for classical Russian.

Unquiet flows the Don.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Have you not been paying attention to all the Republicans who have endorsed Biden or opposed Trump? Literally hundreds of big Republican names have rebelled against the party line.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Republicans_who_oppose_the_Donald_Trump_2020_presidential_campaign
    Of the governing republican party there are 1 senator 1 congressman and 3 governors. That's not symbolic of hatred. And when it mattered they voted to acquit.

I'm sure there will be hundreds of cowards prepared to denounce the man when he leaves, but their records speak much louder than they ever did. They acquiesced.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    Alistair said:

Salmond appointed him globalscot ambassador when the Country was run by the Lab-Lib coalition?

Indeed. Jack McConnell it was.

https://www.ft.com/content/87cb3c4e-9f55-11e5-beba-5e33e2b79e46
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

© @kinabalu

'It's Joe, Bye Don!'

Unquiet flows the Dom.
    Not subtle enough, it's more

'Trump's victory means America, if not the world, is more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub.'
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Call me Dr Suspicious, my dear sleepy old poet, but do I get the feeling you don’t really like Trump very much?
    I don't usually comment on US politics. Though I lived in the US for a number of years, I simply don't understand the country or its politics.

That was my first and last post on Trump. If we see him hauled off to prison, then I'll celebrate with another post. 😁
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,023
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

It is actually frequently the case that Presidents who are re elected to see their party fail to win the House, that was the case in 2012, 1996, 1984 and 1972 and 1956 for instance so I don't see why the Democrats holding the House should be that much different. There are of course plenty of white working class Trump Democrats especially in states like Michigan and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin that were generally blue states before Trump and had not voted for a Republican for President since Reagan in 1984 or Bush Snr in 1988 who will split their ticket and vote Trump for President and Democrat for Congress (while in Western states like California and Arizona there will be the reverse, suburban upper middle class voters who will likely vote Biden for President but Republican for Congress).

Neither the Congressional nor Presidential polls show much if any movement of Trump 2016 voters to Biden, any movement Biden has see has mainly come from third party voters in 2016 but some of those will also go for Trump

If you read the piece I talked about the President's party being the incumbent majority in the House.

In 2012, 1996, 1984, 1972, nor 1956 was the winning President's party the incumbent majority, unlike today.
    The GOP are not the incumbent majority in the House today either, hence Pelosi is Speaker, in 1994 Clinton's party lost the House as Obama's party lost the House in 2010 as IKE's party lost the House in 1954, that swing was not repeated at the presidential election 2 years later
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I don't usually comment on US politics. Though I lived in the US for a number of years, I simply don't understand the country or its politics.

That was my first and last post on Trump. If we see him hauled off to prison, then I'll celebrate with another post. 😁
    And will be the last post on him?

Or will you save The Last Post for when he’s actually shot?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Yep - I think it's prediction time. I'm going for Biden landslide - realignment in the Sunbelt.
    Democrats to sweep House, Senate and Presidency.

Click the map to create your own at 270toWin.com
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Alistair said:

Indeed. Jack McConnell it was.

https://www.ft.com/content/87cb3c4e-9f55-11e5-beba-5e33e2b79e46
    My apologies.

I knew he was a globalScot. If SLAB appointed him, then it is their shame. However, Alex Salmond certainly cosied up to him for a long time.

I gave Nicola the credit for removing him in the original posting.
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

felix said:

I am not sure I have it. I did an interview with a Chinese TV programme back in late January, and the interviewer threw it at me mid-interview.
    I was aware at a moderate level, that the who compliance thing is vital. 10% defection rate brining the whole thing down is another order, though....

What is curious is the response of people to cancelling Christmas - 99% are non-religious, so postponing the whole thing to when it's over seems reasonable.

I've semi-jestingly suggested to the family that we will barbecue a turkey on a beach somewhere when this is all over - a-two-for-one. The joke seems to be taking on a serious form.....
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

Because the Worzels is most successful band to come out of anywhere vaguely near Bristol!
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

© @kinabalu

'It's Joe, Bye Don!'

Unquiet flows the Don.
    In the land of Boris Justnotgodunov.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,124
    edited November 2020
    Alistair said:

Jack McConnell and SLab do not care to be reminded that they appointed him a globalScot ambassador (can't remember if it was for pointing that out or posting a pic of him in his ridiculous wee kilt that had Lord Jack blocking me on twitter).

Easy mistake to make.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

© @kinabalu

'It's Joe, Bye Don!'

Unquiet flows the Don.
    That worked better before you corrected Dom to Don.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    Or should that be a Cumming(s) plan?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The GOP are not the incumbent majority in the House today either, hence Pelosi is Speaker, in 1994 Clinton's party lost the House as Obama's party lost the House in 2010 as IKE's party lost the House in 1954, that swing was not repeated at the presidential election 2 years later
    Maybe TSE was talking about next week?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,002
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed: and it's unusual that the incumbent President wins back the House.
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

felix said:

I was aware at a moderate level, that the who compliance thing is vital. 10% defection rate brining the whole thing down is another order, though....

What is curious is the response of people to cancelling Christmas - 99% are non-religious, so postponing the whole thing to when it's over seems reasonable.

I've semi-jestingly suggested to the family that we will barbecue a turkey on a beach somewhere when this is all over - a-two-for-one. The joke seems to be taking on a serious form.....
    Christmas is not religious, and is time-critical. The two most shit months are Nov and January, and only Christmas saves December from being worst of the lot.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,002
    IanB2 said:

Trump is now playing Wagner at his rallies this weekend.

Just in case anyone needs any more clues.

This one?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qoaioG2UA&ab_channel=neuIlaryRheinKlange
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yes, but when push came to shove, elected Republicans, especially the Senators, were utterly craven and enabling.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Roger said:

kle4 said:

Both gaffe-prone.

No shit Sherlock.
    You know shit.
    You think Brexit is a piece of shit.
    I think Brexit is the shit.
    You don't give a shit for sovereignty
    and I won't take shit from you
    though we agree Trump is a piece of shit.
    Anyway I now have shit to do.

see Ismo Leikola https://youtu.be/jcAdwNOfyUQ

Thanks for sharing that video. Never encountered him before. Seems like a funnier version of Henning Wehn.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,227
    eristdoof said:

Because the Worzels is most successful band to come out of anywhere vaguely near Bristol!
    Bananarama?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Nigelb said:

By comparison:

Yes - i was aware of the positivity rates in most of those countries. Like them, the French rate is staggering, combined with the testing levels. What is France really at now? 200K infections per day, possibly.

When you combine testing levels etc, it is clear that COVID is going up very steeply across Europe.

I'm still looking for any population surveys (ONS /REACT style) that have been done in these countries..??
    Well, there’s this.

Slovakia to test all adults for SARS-CoV-2
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32261-3/fulltext
    ... Anyone testing positive must remain in strict self-isolation at their home for 10 days, or they can go to a quarantine facility provided by the state. Many shops are being closed and restrictions on movement imposed during the 3-week period of testing with people subject to random spot checks by police. Everyone taking the test will be given a certificate to present if requested. Failure to do so could result in a fine of €1650. The testing is voluntary, but anyone not participating must self-isolate in their homes for 10 days. Breaking this quarantine also carries a fine of €1650. Individuals older than 65 years who spend most of their time at home have been urged not to participate, but the government has said that it will carry out testing of older people in care homes. Testing will also be done in hospitals...

@MaxPB should approve, as do I.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

An anti-Semitic socialist....should have played them at Jezza's rallies.
  • Options

TimT said:

TimT said:

felix said:

This is not the paper I was thinking about, but from a similar time period, looking at effectiveness of traveller screening at the early stages of a pandemic, and comes to similar conclusion that even if only 5% of cases are not detected through the screening, you have a problem

https://escholarship.org/content/qt7597065v/qt7597065v_noSplash_26b2fcf36cc04cb04885fca402709b5e.pdf

This particular problem diminishes as prevalence of the virus increases in the populace. And I assume the quarantine effectiveness paper I referred to also assumes very low prevalence in the population.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    Next two polls from Emerson are Arizona and Nevada , think they drop at 5pm UK time, am expecting both to be pretty close
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,004

Bristolians really love been referred to as Somerset rustics.
    Yes, it’s almost as if Massive Attack and Portishead never existed.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

This one?
    Not the Russian paramilitaries?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wagner_Group
  • Options
    Cicero said:

eristdoof said:

Bananarama?
    A Tricky, Portishead and Massive Attack triple header.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

© @kinabalu

'It's Joe, Bye Don!'

Unquiet flows the Don.
    Sorry about that. Autocorrect didn’t like ‘Don’ for some reason and I didn’t spot it.

I still think your reply works fine though. After all Johnson is American born.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

By comparison:

Well, there’s this.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)32261-3/fulltext
    ... Anyone testing positive must remain in strict self-isolation at their home for 10 days, or they can go to a quarantine facility provided by the state. Many shops are being closed and restrictions on movement imposed during the 3-week period of testing with people subject to random spot checks by police. Everyone taking the test will be given a certificate to present if requested. Failure to do so could result in a fine of €1650. The testing is voluntary, but anyone not participating must self-isolate in their homes for 10 days. Breaking this quarantine also carries a fine of €1650. Individuals older than 65 years who spend most of their time at home have been urged not to participate, but the government has said that it will carry out testing of older people in care homes. Testing will also be done in hospitals...

I definitely approve. If we did that with proper lockdown and isolation I'd be fully in favour of it. Our problem here is that everything we do is half hearted, this lockdown is half hearted, our isolation system is, our quarantine measures are. We do everything with a degree of incompetence that makes them completey useless.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Can anyone explain why people are not dying in Sweden. And what is happening in London compared to rUK?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Of the governing republican party there are 1 senator 1 congressman and 3 governors. That's not symbolic of hatred. And when it mattered they voted to acquit.

I'm sure there will be hundreds of cowards prepared to denounce the man when he leaves, but their records speak much louder than they ever did. They acquiesced.
    As indeed did Starmer etc after the 2017 election.
  • Options

Can anyone explain why people are not dying in Sweden. And what is happening in London compared to rUK?

Perhaps they hop across the border to die in Norway?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ydoethur said:

geoffw said:

TimT said:

geoffw said:

© @kinabalu

'It's Joe, Bye Don!'

Unquiet flows the Don.
    Sorry about that. Autocorrect didn’t like ‘Don’ for some reason and I didn’t spot it.

I still think your reply works fine though. After all Johnson is American born.
    Natural born? Is a transfer possible?

• Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

By comparison:

Well, there’s this.

I saw this yesterday - an interesting approach that at least tries to do something new.

The problem is the self-isolating bit. The evidence here is a that people simply don't quarantine even when they don't *have* to break isolation.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

This one?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-qoaioG2UA&ab_channel=neuIlaryRheinKlange
    Funeral March Of Seigfreid surely?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Trump's a fan of Inspector Morse ... who knew ?
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

As indeed did Starmer etc after the 2017 election.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Labour_Party_leadership_election_(UK)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Change_UK
  • Options
    JACK_W said:

IanB2 said:

Trump's a fan of Inspector Morse ... who knew ?
    Anyone who Thaw him.
  • Options

Sweden is clean and tidy and upper-middle class.

London is a swarthy mess. The best place on the planet though.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yes, but when push came to shove, elected Republicans, especially the Senators, were utterly craven and enabling.
    After the 2016 election? Yes they were.

Just as Labour MPs were after the 2017 election.

Starmer says how unforgivable the anti-Semitism is now and removes Corbyn now but this time last year he was in the Shadow Cabinet campaigning officially for Corbyn to be our next Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Isn’t that from the “It’s raining men” lyrics ?
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Point of pedantry: 'The Wurzels'. Sorry.
This discussion has been closed.