Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If Florida flips, as the polls are suggesting, then Trump is doomed – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

TimT said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

You know how often companies pay huge fines without admitting wrongdoing (which of course is the reason they pay the fine), well I see that Purdue, the makers of OxyContin, are paying $8.3bn and pleading guilty to at least some criminal charges.

Just how hugely guilty must they have been to pay up and actually admit some wrongdoing?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-54636002

Question: is that $8.3bn better going to the US taxpayer or to the arts? (Sackler Library, Sackler Gallery etc)
    Absolutely incredible.

You have outdone yourself to a degree that I did not think possible.

Just bravo.
    The estimated costs of dealing with the opiate addiction crisis in the US, primarily created by the Sacklers, runs into the $100s billions, not 8
    It takes several million to tango, though. The Sacklers seem pretty unpleasant people, but they forced nobody at gunpoint to prescribe or take this stuff, and if them why not go after Smith and Wesson, and Diageo?
    They bribed doctors to prescribe people opioids.
    Ah, so you don't support museums then? Can't make an omlette without deliberately lying about the destructive effects of your drugs.
    What a depressingly stupid post. I have already said the Sacklers were complete shits, museums was a bonkers irrelevance from another poster altogether, professionals are not meant to accept without question statements made about the subject-matter of their professional expertise, and what is an omlette?
    That wasn't a criticism of you, it was a criticism of Charles. Since as you say the museum point was from another poster why did you think it was directed at you? Calm the f*ck down.
    Ah ok sorry. But you were replying to someone, replying to me.

This is about personal responsibility, though. It's like those whiny students at Cambridge who think that global warming is caused 100% by investments in Shell and 0% by their insistence on their own God given right to have the oil fired central heating on at all times.
    I do take your point about personal responsibility, though I think you've taken it a mite too far in this case, particularly given the criminality and lies from those pushing it on to others.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,846

Alistair said:
    Interesting all these people are wearing masks. Trump supporters... or not?
    Not if it’s Harris, probably.
    The real question is what’s happening in the myriad small Republican counties in Texas.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,347
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

alex_ said:

alex_ said:

I guarantee that if this free holiday meals is extended while we have Covid, it will be with us for the next 10-15 years and probably expanded to basically everybody.

After covid, the reason will be high unemployment, then it will another reason and then it won't cost much more just to give to every kid

Now you might say it is a good idea anyway, but it is dishonest to claim it will just be for another couple of holidays.

We still have most of the Brown freebies despite supposed of nearly 10 years of austerity.

How about introducing food vouchers - but only to be spent on health food. Would probably pay for itself in the long term.
    Vouchers have already been used in the past - for asylum seekers IIRC. Challenged and got rid of as inhumane....
    There's a difference though, isn't there? Food vouchers in this case would be a bonus. For asylum seekers it's their only way to obtain food because they're not allowed to earn money.
    Anyway, a similar scheme ("Healthy Start") already exists for preschoolers in needy families (though you have to wonder how far £3.10 a week goes).

Turning to the matter in hand, there's obviously a dollop of partisan politics in this, and forcing the consciences of Conservative backbenchers to shrivel a bit more. Most of them didn't run for public office to keep food away from children. But there are two things which do look anomalous about the current situation;

The idea that the taxpayer should pick up the tab for school meals in termtime for children in needy families is pretty much accepted. That covers 39 weeks a year- what are families meant to do for the other 13? Budgeting to deal with that degree of lumpiness while on benefits doesn't seem right.

The government has just spent lots (I've seen £500 million quoted) on Eat Out to Help Out. Subsidising nice meals out then claiming that we can't afford to be more generous to kids on FSM can be justified, but it's awfully hard work.
    Eat out to help out has been replaced by the new scheme for poorer kids. Don't eat to help out

#Toryscum
    Careful! You know where that sort of sharp tongue got Angela Rayner.
    Such labels may not generally be helpful for more than making people better about themselves, but scum is pretty mild as far as internet talk goes, and only her position and the context of parliamentary debate made it particularly notable, not that the target hasn't sought to milk it.
    He wrote her a letter demanding an apology.
    Exactly, milking it. It's one of the few occasions I'd say using twitter to demand an apology would have been more appropriate. Not that I buy her apology frankly.
    On the QT, maybe she was not wrong, but don't tell anyone I thought that.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    Double figure Tory lead nailed on
  • Options

If we had not had Eat Out to Help Out, I hypothesise R would be below 1

Its possible that EOTHO is responsible for R being above 1 throughout Europe.

Alternatively something else happens throughout Europe in the autumn.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,862

Is the Express lining its readers up to overlook a UK cave-in?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Watching Obama's speech in Philadelphia. America is very unlucky to have the 22nd Amendment

That said, he seems to be struggling a little iwth the presumably near-empty crowd.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    kle4 said:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1319036054226243589

Labour has played yet another masterstroke

Effective front page. Bold headline, creative use of the names, strong picture choice.
    If only MR was as effective doing his day job, Man U would be top of the leavue
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I can't work out why you are so enthused that your government is apparantly doing so well in the opinion polls when they have been so disorganised, corrupt and quite frankly incompetent, certainly over the last few weeks and months. Do you approve of a disorganised, corrupt and incompetent government?

I am not of the Tory faith, but if faced with an incompetent left of centre government (or opposition) against even a barely competent Tory alternative, I would critique the left of centre incompetents and consider the more competent alternative. I was quite happy to call out Corbyn, and I am not the greatest fan of Drakeford here in Wales, but at present Johnson's bunch of cowboys take the cake.
    I don't think it entirely a mystery that someone going by BluestBlue might be be encouraged that the Tories remain the most popularity UK wide party in the country. ModerateBlue might be inclined to be more self-examining perhaps!
    And I thought he was just a Chelsea fan!
  • Options
    This "walk away" was never a walk away and instead is theatre for capitulations coming
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Trump's ahead in Michigan *
    https://twitter.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1319035453744566275

* Poll excludes leaners

Biden leads "leaners" 70 - 26

** Leaners have already voted.

*** Poll is 50 - 45 with **leaners.

**** Turnout needs to be over 7 million in Michigan or thereabouts for this poll to be correct now.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,439

EOTHO was in August. It's effect on R now is zero.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

TimT said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

You know how often companies pay huge fines without admitting wrongdoing (which of course is the reason they pay the fine), well I see that Purdue, the makers of OxyContin, are paying $8.3bn and pleading guilty to at least some criminal charges.

Just how hugely guilty must they have been to pay up and actually admit some wrongdoing?

Question: is that $8.3bn better going to the US taxpayer or to the arts? (Sackler Library, Sackler Gallery etc)
    Absolutely incredible.

Just bravo.
    The estimated costs of dealing with the opiate addiction crisis in the US, primarily created by the Sacklers, runs into the $100s billions, not 8
    It takes several million to tango, though. The Sacklers seem pretty unpleasant people, but they forced nobody at gunpoint to prescribe or take this stuff, and if them why not go after Smith and Wesson, and Diageo?
    Ah, so you don't support museums then? Can't make an omlette without deliberately lying about the destructive effects of your drugs.
    What a depressingly stupid post. I have already said the Sacklers were complete shits, museums was a bonkers irrelevance from another poster altogether, professionals are not meant to accept without question statements made about the subject-matter of their professional expertise, and what is an omlette?
    That wasn't a criticism of you, it was a criticism of Charles. Since as you say the museum point was from another poster why did you think it was directed at you? Calm the f*ck down.
    Re the opioids stuff, I attended a meeting with the guys who ran one of the largest US pharma trade shows on pain relief. They looked fairly sheepish but one thing they did mention was that prescribing opioids was a hell of a lot cheaper than physio or other pain relief methods hence why doctors went with opioids
    And what's behind *that* is a medical system where treatment is dictated not by need but by the co-pay on the patient's insurance, and what the claims handler will authorise. Scapegoating is still scapegoating, even when the scapegoat had it coming in spades redoubled.
    Totally agree, the US system is f*cked up
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Roy_G_Biv said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Does anyone know of a website where I can look at tweets? I appreciate the fine work Carlotta is doing, but for those times she's not around, I'm wondering how I can possibly see what people are tweeting.

Er... have you tried Twitter?

https://twitter.com/home
    You mean if I want to read random, disconnected tweets without any discussion being added to them, I don't have to wait... I can just go there?
    This is a brave new world.
    Ok. I am not a Twitter expert, which is why I appreciate the twitter posts on here.

But on twitter.com you can search for users or hashtags or follow users (I think you'll need to register on Twitter for that).

If you are looking for a website that sorts out only the tweets you are interested in I think you may be unlucky. PB.com is the closest I've found to that.
    This may be relevant?

https://i.imgur.com/F636xiP.gif
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Effective front page. Bold headline, creative use of the names, strong picture choice.
    Hey now, he scored the winner yesterday. Though for a middling striker scoring national policy wins (tbd) might be more fulfilling.

I hope he picks his targets well.
  • Options

That polling is certainly disappointing, I would want to see Keir's leadership ratings

It's probably just froth, MoE and Comedy Results' weighting. Most of the Red Wall still don't know who Keith Stammer is yet anyway. His day will come!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

Horse has this weird obsession about the scheme and ignores that the rise in cases has come with schools returning and universities opening again. Restaurants and pubs have had a negligible effect on the overall R.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Wisconsin just reported its highest single day Covid death count:
    https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/longevity/522162-wisconsin-reports-highest-single-day-coronavirus-death

I think claims Trump might win Wisconsin are utterly implausible.
  • Options

Yeah right. As opposed to being totally ineffectual and irrelevant where the opposition to the Government is epitomised by a footballer and not the Leader of the Opposition?

My dog could do a better job or calling Johnson to account than Starmer
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Horse has this weird obsession about the scheme and ignores that the rise in cases has come with schools returning and universities opening again. Restaurants and pubs have had a negligible effect on the overall R.
    I am here you know!
  • Options
    Roy_G_BivRoy_G_Biv Posts: 998
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Well, they've started their Champions League group with a win thanks to a Rashford winner. What did you do this week?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Yeah right. As opposed to being totally ineffectual and irrelevant where the opposition to the Government is epitomised by a footballer and not the Leader of the Opposition?

Our own Trump fan hates Starmer, my goodness really?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

* Poll excludes leaners

**** Turnout needs to be over 7 million in Michigan or thereabouts for this poll to be correct now.

I see what you did there. You got that one in before HYUFD and added the caveats to shoot his fox.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

What's his policy on electoral reform? I'd like to consider if he's worth a shot.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074

What if: the pollsters have overreacted to underestimating Trump in 2016?

If they have over-tweaked their models we might not see a Biden landslide coming.

That's entirely possible.
  • Options
    If Trump does lose, I hope we will never call HYUFD a polling expert ever again
  • Options
    If he does lose Trump's going to have so many excuses isn't he? Covid, being outspent, Mitt Romney and other neverTrumpers, the media (which in that curious way of media, is utterly without consequence prior to an election, but vital after it).
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Interesting that Amy Coney Barrett is winning over Democrats.

https://morningconsult.com/2020/10/21/supreme-court-hearings-barrett-confirmation-polling/

The Dems keep falling into the same trap of saying "worst thing ever in history" and then whatever it is just turns out to be merely rubbish and people think "well it's not as bad as we were being told".
    Wait ‘til she issues her first couple of judgments, if confirmed.
    She did a great job of not answering a single tough question during the hearings - and Democrats kept it low key as they knew anything else would backfire.
    I predict she’ll be every bit as bad as forecast.
    The best thing for the Dems electorally would be seen to be prevented from carrying out their agenda by an obstructive Supreme Court.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1319041059213762562

Let's be honest, if it was the other way around Aaron would have tweeted all day.

Angela should apologise or resign if she won't
  • Options
    Nah, just more free stuff from Sunak. Sunak, the gift that keeps on giving.

Johnson, too busy grandstanding his lap of honour, having done over the finances of the burghers of Greater Manchester and the poorest school children, whilst behind his back Sunak is once again giving away free stuff. Boris should be told.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

TimT said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Absolutely incredible.

Just bravo.
    Misleading push marketing. This book covers the tragedy of Americas drug epidemic. Currently killing as many as guns and motor vehicles combined.

Yes, sure, the guys were complete shits. OTOH doctors are assumed to have a basic level of integrity, intelligence and medical knowledge, and if someone tried to sell me a non-addictive opioid I would suggest we moved straight on to negotiating over the bridge sale. Even if I didn't know the history of heroin. Plus I popped my way through 100 oxycontin last year (legitimate prescription) and whatever anyone tells you, it is pretty bloody obvious when you start creeping from purely analgesic to partly recreational use. The Sacklers were tangoing but not on their own, any more than it is purely a handful of evil overlords at BP and RDS who are responsible for global warming.
    Pill Mill prescibers have been sentenced to long prison terms, such as...

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/pill-mill-doctors-prosecuted-amid-opioid-epidemic
    Good, but that story makes my point for me.

"Rovero’s son, Joey, died after mixing alcohol, Xanax, and oxycodone. He bought the pills after driving 360 miles with his fraternity brothers from Arizona State University, where he was a semester away from graduation in 2009."

"“We’ve reached an extreme level of closure. We feel very blessed,” Rovero told Healthline. “I talk to parents all over the country who never get a drop of closure.”"

What a thing to feel "blessed" about. This is like all the shits in this country who think it is clever to take cocaine, absolving their consciences with a class action against the Medellin cartel.
    I would say the difference is the level of addiction. Opiods are physically addictive, cocaine psychologically but not physically.

Yeah, but there's literally nothing worse than being stuck in a room with people on cocaine.

The best argument against drug legalisation is a five minute "conversation" with a coke-head.

At least people who've taken opiates are quiet.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

kle4 said:

I can't work out why you are so enthused that your government is apparantly doing so well in the opinion polls when they have been so disorganised, corrupt and quite frankly incompetent, certainly over the last few weeks and months. Do you approve of a disorganised, corrupt and incompetent government?

I am not of the Tory faith, but if faced with an incompetent left of centre government (or opposition) against even a barely competent Tory alternative, I would critique the left of centre incompetents and consider the more competent alternative. I was quite happy to call out Corbyn, and I am not the greatest fan of Drakeford here in Wales, but at present Johnson's bunch of cowboys take the cake.
    I don't think it entirely a mystery that someone going by BluestBlue might be be encouraged that the Tories remain the most popularity UK wide party in the country. ModerateBlue might be inclined to be more self-examining perhaps!
    I'm actually a massive supporter of the Democrats, not to mention the French national team. I don't know why people keep misunderstanding my moniker...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,862
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994

kle4 said:

I'm actually a massive supporter of the Democrats, not to mention the French national team. I don't know why people keep misunderstanding my moniker...
    Just how blue are you? Are we talking #0000ff blue? ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Let's be honest, if it was the other way around Aaron would have tweeted all day.

She has, hasn't she (barely)? You're right how he would have reacted, how both would have reacted, had it been the other way round, but despite that I wouldn't argue she should resign even if she hadn't apologised. She was officially rebuked at the time, and her moment of ill discipline has handed her opponents a distraction and outrage of their own to exploit from the thing she wanted to talk about, that seems proportionate punishment.

That's another good practical reason to, if not remain civil, remain parliamentary. It doesn't help to not do so.
  • Options
    Re Texas: Perhaps voter suppression follows something like the Laffer curve, and the GOP have gone beyond the inflection point into a part of the curve where it's actively disadvantageous for them. It would be rather nice if that is the case!
  • Options

Why? Maybe it was just satire, you know like, letter boxes, bank robbers and water melon smiles.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    edited October 2020
    Nigelb said:

Alistair said:
    Interesting all these people are wearing masks. Trump supporters... or not?
    Not if it’s Harris, probably.
    The real question is what’s happening in the myriad small Republican counties in Texas.
    Whilst that's true, 5 counties, Harris County (Houston), Dallas County (Dallas), Tarrant County (Fort Worth), Bexar County (San Antonio), and Travis County (Austin), make up over 40% of the population of Texas.
  • Options

kle4 said:

A fair point. Go Joe!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,021
    Does anyone yet know why Covid-19 affects a small proportion of people so severely when most people either aren't affected by it or are only slightly affected? This seems to be one of the biggest mysteries of the virus.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

I've found an image of him online here, so we can judge

Blue Man Group
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Does anyone yet know why Covid-19 affects a small proportion of people so severely when most people either aren't affected by it or are only slightly affected? This seems to be one of the biggest mysteries of the virus.

Let's just be thankful for it, because we'd be utterly effed if the mortality rate was, say, 10%.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

I've found an image of him online here, so we can judge

Blue Man Group
    Ah, that explains his 24/7 presence. ;)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,024
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

TimT said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Absolutely incredible.

Just bravo.
    Misleading push marketing. This book covers the tragedy of Americas drug epidemic. Currently killing as many as guns and motor vehicles combined.

Yes, sure, the guys were complete shits. OTOH doctors are assumed to have a basic level of integrity, intelligence and medical knowledge, and if someone tried to sell me a non-addictive opioid I would suggest we moved straight on to negotiating over the bridge sale. Even if I didn't know the history of heroin. Plus I popped my way through 100 oxycontin last year (legitimate prescription) and whatever anyone tells you, it is pretty bloody obvious when you start creeping from purely analgesic to partly recreational use. The Sacklers were tangoing but not on their own, any more than it is purely a handful of evil overlords at BP and RDS who are responsible for global warming.
    Pill Mill prescibers have been sentenced to long prison terms, such as...

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/pill-mill-doctors-prosecuted-amid-opioid-epidemic
    Good, but that story makes my point for me.

"Rovero’s son, Joey, died after mixing alcohol, Xanax, and oxycodone. He bought the pills after driving 360 miles with his fraternity brothers from Arizona State University, where he was a semester away from graduation in 2009."

"“We’ve reached an extreme level of closure. We feel very blessed,” Rovero told Healthline. “I talk to parents all over the country who never get a drop of closure.”"

What a thing to feel "blessed" about. This is like all the shits in this country who think it is clever to take cocaine, absolving their consciences with a class action against the Medellin cartel.
    I would say the difference is the level of addiction. Opiods are physically addictive, cocaine psychologically but not physically.

Yeah, but there's literally nothing worse than being stuck in a room with people on cocaine.

The best argument against drug legalisation is a five minute "conversation" with a coke-head.

At least people who've taken opiates are quiet.
    Very much this.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

TimT said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Absolutely incredible.

Just bravo.
    Re the opioids stuff, I attended a meeting with the guys who ran one of the largest US pharma trade shows on pain relief. They looked fairly sheepish but one thing they did mention was that prescribing opioids was a hell of a lot cheaper than physio or other pain relief methods hence why doctors went with opioids
    There were also a number of advocacy groups that pretended to be "grass roots" which campaigned for a "pain free America" and for the loosening of rules about prescrbing opiates.

And which were funded by the opiate makers.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Interesting that Amy Coney Barrett is winning over Democrats.

https://morningconsult.com/2020/10/21/supreme-court-hearings-barrett-confirmation-polling/

The Dems keep falling into the same trap of saying "worst thing ever in history" and then whatever it is just turns out to be merely rubbish and people think "well it's not as bad as we were being told".
    Wait ‘til she issues her first couple of judgments, if confirmed.
    She did a great job of not answering a single tough question during the hearings - and Democrats kept it low key as they knew anything else would backfire.
    I predict she’ll be every bit as bad as forecast.
    The best thing for the Dems electorally would be seen to be prevented from carrying out their agenda by an obstructive Supreme Court.
    Perhaps.
    But it could make governing exceedingly onerous if there is a majority on the court with weird ideas in favour of draconian restrictions to administrative regulations.

Which with a 6-3 court is entirely possible.
  • Options

The silly thing is he really knows his stuff when it comes to US elections. So I can't understand why he has got tied up in knots over Trafalgar.
  • Options
    isam said:

Apparently the way around the restrictions on going to the pub with your mates is to say you are having a business meeting. Is this so?

"...current guidance for office workers is that they should avoid business lunches in restaurants and pubs, in favour of virtual or in-office meetings. However, this is not enshrined in law.

The spokesperson said: "There is a specific exemption that is there for freelancers and the self-employed to allow people to have meetings.

"But we have been clear that we are encouraging people to meet virtually where possible.""

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/can-i-go-for-a-business-lunch-in-tier-2-london-coronavirus-a4572456.html
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Every time there seems to be a plausible theory or some initial analysis e.g. blood group, there is soon research that appears to disprove this.
  • Options

The silly thing is he really knows his stuff when it comes to US elections. So I can't understand why he has got tied up in knots over Trafalgar.
    Maybe he just got lucky. I have a lot of time for him but he's just as biased and silly as the rest of us
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,595
    MrEd said:

Has your dog taught you your skills of deep political analysis?
  • Options

Maybe he just got lucky. I have a lot of time for him but he's just as biased and silly as the rest of us
    Credit where it is due, he knows his stuff.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Speak for yourself - my reading of chicken entrails never fails, except for those times it does, and is rooted in the most firm of logics.

Pleasant night everyone, less than 2 weeks to go, such excitement.
  • Options

kle4 said:

I always assumed it related to your penchant for a certain film genre.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Viral load is important - and is one of the other reasons why masks are helpful.
    Do we have any data as to proportions of infected / hospitalised / deaths compared between spring and autumn ie before and after widespread mask wearing ?

I am aware that the actual number of infected in spring is many times that of the recorded number.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,173

And if Trump wins?

(I have always been clear Biden will win the popular vote, just Trump could narrowly win the EC again)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

She has, hasn't she (barely)? You're right how he would have reacted, how both would have reacted, had it been the other way round, but despite that I wouldn't argue she should resign even if she hadn't apologised. She was officially rebuked at the time, and her moment of ill discipline has handed her opponents a distraction and outrage of their own to exploit from the thing she wanted to talk about, that seems proportionate punishment.

That's another good practical reason to, if not remain civil, remain parliamentary. It doesn't help to not do so.
    Quite right. I'm sure she will have had had a bollocking from Starmer as well for causing the distraction.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,045
    Fox News Michigan poll !

Biden 52

Trump 40
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And if Trump wins?

(I have always been clear Biden will win the popular vote, just Trump could narrowly win the EC again)
    I will offer you full credit for predicting it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

* Poll excludes leaners

It does look like Michigan and Wisconsin are coming home for Trump in the final weeks, Pennsylvania is leaning to Biden as his state of birth, Arizona also moving Democrat which means it could all come down to Florida once again
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

IshmaelZ said:

TimT said:

Alistair said:

Charles said:

kle4 said:

Absolutely incredible.

Just bravo.
    There were also a number of advocacy groups that pretended to be "grass roots" which campaigned for a "pain free America" and for the loosening of rules about prescrbing opiates.

And which were funded by the opiate makers.
    Terrible, but a sign of a huge collective cockup. Hands up, anyone who knows what substance was marketed by Bayer in the 1890s as a "non-addictive morphine substitute"? I knew that anyway (though I thought it was the 1900s till I looked it up), but the lesson passed by the entire US medical establishment? This is a massive systemic failure by whole professions and whole industries, and it is no use trying to pin 100% of the blame on House Harkonnen.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

* Poll excludes leaners

It does look like Michigan and Wisconsin are coming home for Trump in the final weeks, Pennsylvania is leaning to Biden as his state of birth, Arizona also moving Democrat which means it could all come down to Florida once again
    “Leaning”

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1319039605744820224?s=21
    https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1319040405619572736?s=21
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Also @HYUFD Biden is ahead an average of 8 points in Michigan, and 6 points in Wisconsin. They are nowhere near "coming home for Trump" at the moment.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

Fox News Michigan poll !

Biden 52

Trump 40

Fox final 2016 Michigan poll

Clinton 50% Trump 45%
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/FOX_2_Detroit-Mitchell_Poll_of_MI_Press_Clinton_v_Trump_11-6-16_FINAL_B.pdf
  • Options
    Btw, it’s incorrect to say that Ginsburg didn’t answer questions informatively at her confirmation hearing:
    https://www.npr.org/2018/07/13/628711698/the-reality-of-the-ginsburg-rule?t=1603319932255
  • Options
    edited October 2020

Also @HYUFD Biden is ahead an average of 8 points in Michigan, and 6 points in Wisconsin. They are nowhere near "coming home for Trump" at the moment.

The trend is the key and Hillary comfortably led the poll average in Michigan and Wisconsin in 2016, Trump won both on the night
  • Options

MrEd said:

Has your dog taught you your skills of deep political analysis?
    Pavlovian dribbling whenever The Donald crops up?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The trend is the key and not a single poll and Hillary comfortably led the poll average in Michigan and Wisconsin in 2016, Trump won both on the night
    So what? You’re making ridiculous proclamations based on 1 or 2 days worth of data. There is nowhere near enough polling evidence to suggest that Michigan or Wisconsin are “coming home” right now. They might, but it’s too early to say.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Wisconsin and Michigan are very close to being lost causes for Trump.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

And if Trump wins?

Then you have permission to engage smug mode.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Barnesian said:

40 million US voters have already voted says BBC.

Too late for the October surprise surely now?

That's about 30% of the vote last time. (130m)
    It's massively lopsided Biden too.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Viral load is important - and is one of the other reasons why masks are helpful.
    Do we have any data as to proportions of infected / hospitalised / deaths compared between spring and autumn ie before and after widespread mask wearing ?

I am aware that the actual number of infected in spring is many times that of the recorded number.
    Not sure any such comparison would be like for like.
    Treatment advances such as use of early oxygen on CPAC, changing admission thresholds, age profiles, more regionally concentrated outbreaks, students, more testing finding more milder cases, etc, etc
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

* Poll excludes leaners

I would be surprised at this stage, bearing in mind recent gold standard polling, if Wisconsin and Michigan came in for Trump. You do worry me with your wild predictions. I still have nighmares about that Yougov outlier from last year that led you to correctly predict a Johnson landslide.
  • Options
    Parts of rural Ohio have a greater current infection rate than Manchester.

https://twitter.com/aetiology/status/1319047443124834305
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The trend is the key and Hillary comfortably led the poll average in Michigan and Wisconsin in 2016, Trump won both on the night
    Have you forgotten Comey?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Final poll averages for Michigan and Wisconsin in 2016

Michigan Clinton +3.6%
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/mi/michigan_trump_vs_clinton-5533.html

Wisconsin
    Clinton +6.5%
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/wi/wisconsin_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5976.html

Result
    Michigan Trump +0.3%
    Wisconsin Trump +0.7%

Tonight

Michigan Biden +7.8%
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/mi/michigan_trump_vs_biden-6761.html
    Wisconsin Biden + 4.6%
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/wi/wisconsin_trump_vs_clinton_vs_johnson_vs_stein-5976.html

So on the same error Trump will win Wisconsin and Biden's Michigan lead would be halved
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Not sure any such comparison would be like for like.
    Treatment advances such as use of early oxygen on CPAC, changing admission thresholds, age profiles, more regionally concentrated outbreaks, students, more testing finding more milder cases, etc, etc
    With so many variables changing and so much incomplete data it makes comparisons difficult and conclusions even more so.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Final poll averages for Michigan and Wisconsin in 2016

Michigan Clinton +3.6%
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/mi/michigan_trump_vs_clinton-5533.html

Wisconsin
    Clinton +6.5%

Result
    Michigan Trump +0.3%
    Wisconsin Trump +0.7%

Tonight

Michigan Biden +7.8%
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/mi/michigan_trump_vs_biden-6761.html
    Wisconsin Biden + 4.6%

So on the same error Trump will win Wisconsin and Biden's Michigan lead would be halved
    Over compensation against the Dem candidate and COMEY!
  • Options
    @HYUFD you always fail consider the possibility that this time around the polling error is in Biden’s favour. There’s no logical reason why the error will definitely be in Trump’s favour.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Largely irrelevant, Trump did not win the rustbelt because of Corney, he won it because of his anti globalisation, pro tariff, protectionist message
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Largely irrelevant, Trump did not win the rustbelt because of Corney, he won it because of his anti globalisation, pro tariff, protectionist message
    Which rust-belters now know was a Great Lakes sized body of snake oil.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    In amongst all the national, and state polling thats been discussed today, two approval polls today kind of summed up the crazy nature of this election and why perhaps there is still so much doubt with many that Trump somehow isnt going to win again, Approval ratings can vary true but these two polls stood out to me:

Rasmussen Approve 49%/Disapprove 50% -1
    America Research Group Approve 35%!!/Disapprove 60% -25

Two weeks out and 24% more approve,,,or disapprove,,depending on your point of view!!

• Options
    Nigelb said:
    Third wave looks on.
    Or is it all just one big backwash of the first?
  • Options
    Yesterday I learned San Francisco has had fewer cases than N Dakota with a similar population.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

* Poll excludes leaners

Alternatively, @politicalpolls have fat fingers. Those aren't the numbers.

Though 538 currently has the Biden +11 poll as a Trump +11 so, it's the day for it.
  • Options
    PA and FL are probably the only states that really matter as far as Trump is concerned.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

* Poll excludes leaners

Alternatively, @politicalpolls have fat fingers. Those aren't the numbers.

Though 538 currently has the Biden +11 poll as a Trump +11 so, it's the day for it.
    You’re right. The true headline figures are:

Biden 50% (+2)
    Trump 45% (+3)

Changes from 23rd September.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,148
    dixiedean said:

Yesterday I learned San Francisco has had fewer cases than N Dakota with a similar population.

They had a very strict lockdown quite early in the Bay Area.
  • Options
    Trump holding a rally in North Carolina tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUSHmiHVkfE
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,620

Andy_JS said:

Every time there seems to be a plausible theory or some initial analysis e.g. blood group, there is soon research that appears to disprove this.
    This - there are a million theories. No answers yet.

There is something missing in the puzzle - some times the virus appears extremely infectious. At others, groups of people in close proximity - sharing a crowed chalet or on a cruise ship - an only a small percentage fall ill.
  • Options
    Given 538 forecast Hillary 302 Trump 235 in its final EC projection I will stick to making comparisons to 2016
This discussion has been closed.