Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What is Sunak up to? – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Definitely not State Aid...

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-pledges-e10-billion-to-power-up-industrial-cloud-sector/

The European Union aims to spend up to €10 billion over the next seven years to help build up a homegrown cloud computing sector that could rival foreign corporations such as Amazon, Google and Alibaba.

Twenty-five EU countries signed a joint declaration Thursday pledging public money to power up the cloud sector and establishing the "European Alliance on Industrial Data and Cloud," a partnership geared toward facilitating such projects.

It has never been clear what the supposed EU limits on state aid are that we object to and we probably cannot be told lest Conservatives rise up in horror at the scale of Boris's and Cummings' plans.
    The issue IMO is that the EU have lots of state aid rules which they simply ignore when it suits them - and they wanted to UK to sign up to similar rules but with a legal enforcement backing.

So the EU investing in new technology companies is fine by their own political court, but if the UK does the same they'd be in breech of the agreement and face punishment.
    *everybody" ignored the state aid rules when it suited them except the UK. All that successive UK governments of both parties had to do was to either apply the rules they had ignored (such as deporting jobless EU citizens) or ignore the rules and subsidise major industry like the Italians were doing.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Sandpit said:

Here's an example of the kind of thread I wish political betting would put up over the next 2 weeks. Iowa Senate race is by no means the most exciting but it IS tight and it's quite possible that it will be one of the flip states:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/10/19/joni-ernst-iowa-senate-race-zeleny-dnt-lead-vpx.cnn

Betting opportunities on this election remain huge with 2 weeks to go. Please can we have more of this?

Am I the only one on here still betting single pounds on the US election?

With every day that passes, things get more murky - with clearly biased polling, politicians getting involved in the electoral process and the popular vote becoming increasingly disconnected from the electoral college.

I think Biden's going to win, and I have a fiver on him at slightly more than evens, but I'm not going to put the house on it. I've also got a fiver on Trump at 6/4.
    You have a fiver on Biden at just over evens and a fiver on Trump at 6/4. I see.

What are you going to do with your winnings, Sandpit?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-pledges-e10-billion-to-power-up-industrial-cloud-sector/

The European Union aims to spend up to €10 billion over the next seven years to help build up a homegrown cloud computing sector that could rival foreign corporations such as Amazon, Google and Alibaba.

Twenty-five EU countries signed a joint declaration Thursday pledging public money to power up the cloud sector and establishing the "European Alliance on Industrial Data and Cloud," a partnership geared toward facilitating such projects.

It has never been clear what the supposed EU limits on state aid are that we object to and we probably cannot be told lest Conservatives rise up in horror at the scale of Boris's and Cummings' plans.
    The issue IMO is that the EU have lots of state aid rules which they simply ignore when it suits them - and they wanted to UK to sign up to similar rules but with a legal enforcement backing.

So the EU investing in new technology companies is fine by their own political court, but if the UK does the same they'd be in breech of the agreement and face punishment.
    Germany seems to be allowed to invest. There is a paradox that this Conservative government depends on its supporters who would look askance at Labour investing even half as much, opposing any EU restrictions at all.
    Sadly the Fuck Business party has forgotten what Capitalism actually is - invest, grow, gain a return on that investment, repeat. They have decided that *any* investment is subsidy is communism and must be slapped down. So every other country invests in infrastructure and capacity and skills whereas the UK sells it off for a one time quick profit and then wonders why whats left of industry is foreign controlled.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416
    Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

These type of mercantilist policies have been at the core of the EU since its creation and it makes the fight about LPF provisions quite baffling. I think that they are more concerned about taxation (despite Eire and Luxemburg) and limited employment rights being used to attract inward investment with unlimited access to the SM but its a weird place for them to choose to fight. Presumably they took the Singapore on Thames rhetoric a bit more seriously than we did.
    Aren't the state aid provisions part of maintaining a LPF within the Single Market, rather than an outright ban. Hence this cloud project being pan EU rather than a particular country?
    Do you seriously think that 26 countries will be involved in the creation of these cloud technologies? It will basically be Germany, France and a token bribe to the Italians. The job of the others will be to provide a customer base by laws (admittedly across the SM) making it more difficult to legally use non EU clouds for personal data in the same way as GDPR did.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Here's an example of the kind of thread I wish political betting would put up over the next 2 weeks. Iowa Senate race is by no means the most exciting but it IS tight and it's quite possible that it will be one of the flip states:

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/politics/2020/10/19/joni-ernst-iowa-senate-race-zeleny-dnt-lead-vpx.cnn

Betting opportunities on this election remain huge with 2 weeks to go. Please can we have more of this?

With every day that passes, things get more murky - with clearly biased polling, politicians getting involved in the electoral process and the popular vote becoming increasingly disconnected from the electoral college.

I think Biden's going to win, and I have a fiver on him at slightly more than evens, but I'm not going to put the house on it. I've also got a fiver on Trump at 6/4.
    You have a fiver on Biden at just over evens and a fiver on Trump at 6/4. I see.

Buy a pint maybe, but only at happy hour! :)

I just can't get excited about the US election at all, again we have two crap candidates and Amercians have to choose Teedledum or Tweedledee.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

These type of mercantilist policies have been at the core of the EU since its creation and it makes the fight about LPF provisions quite baffling. I think that they are more concerned about taxation (despite Eire and Luxemburg) and limited employment rights being used to attract inward investment with unlimited access to the SM but its a weird place for them to choose to fight. Presumably they took the Singapore on Thames rhetoric a bit more seriously than we did.
    I'd assumed it was definitely something to do with corporation tax rates, but also about keeping the UK aligned going forward - so if the EU passed some new law about employer pension contributions, employer/contractor relationships, zero hours contracts, minimum-to-maximum wage ratios, working time directive 2.0 etc, then they wanted the UK bound by them too, to avoid us gaining a competitive advantage from their increasing of regulation.
    Agreed. They will have seen how well the UK did in gaining Japanese assembly plants the last time around with our "flexible" labour market and will be keen to avoid a repeat as the industry retools towards electric vehicles.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

I have a handful of money on Trump maybe £20 just to have some interest.
    I do too from last year when it looked like this election was going to be about the economy. I will be content enough to lose it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

I'd assumed it was definitely something to do with corporation tax rates, but also about keeping the UK aligned going forward - so if the EU passed some new law about employer pension contributions, employer/contractor relationships, zero hours contracts, minimum-to-maximum wage ratios, working time directive 2.0 etc, then they wanted the UK bound by them too, to avoid us gaining a competitive advantage from their increasing of regulation.
    Agreed. They will have seen how well the UK did in gaining Japanese assembly plants the last time around with our "flexible" labour market and will be keen to avoid a repeat as the industry retools towards electric vehicles.
    Also the business regulatory crap that the EU have imposed, such as GDPR and VATMOSS in recent years, which appear to cause at least as many problems as they solve. They (correctly IMO) assume that the UK would have gained advantage by not been subject to such rules in its domestic market.

Yes, the car industry is in a huge state of flux at the moment, with the Europeans way behind the rapidly changing technology (with the exception of one very good but very expensive Porsche).
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,862
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Aren't the state aid provisions part of maintaining a LPF within the Single Market, rather than an outright ban. Hence this cloud project being pan EU rather than a particular country?
    Do you seriously think that 26 countries will be involved in the creation of these cloud technologies? It will basically be Germany, France and a token bribe to the Italians. The job of the others will be to provide a customer base by laws (admittedly across the SM) making it more difficult to legally use non EU clouds for personal data in the same way as GDPR did.
    The point is that it is equitable across the SM, not outside it. That is the point of the state aid rules, so that no country has an unfair advantage.

There are rules on unfair state intervention in the WTO too as I recall, though enforcement rather lax, not least because Trump has made the WTO ineffective.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    Georgia now red on 538.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Also the business regulatory crap that the EU have imposed, such as GDPR and VATMOSS in recent years, which appear to cause at least as many problems as they solve. They (correctly IMO) assume that the UK would have gained advantage by not been subject to such rules in its domestic market.

Yes, the car industry is in a huge state of flux at the moment, with the Europeans way behind the rapidly changing technology (with the exception of one very good but very expensive Porsche).
    Getting there though, such as the new VW group ID3 platform.

I am very happy with my Kia e-Niro. Best quality car I have ever owned, and a complete convert to electricity.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    If Sunak wants to go further in his careee, he might like to find a point of principle to resign on before things get too choppy.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

I just can't get excited about the US election at all, again we have two crap candidates and Amercians have to choose Teedledum or Tweedledee.
    Watching a democracy in crisis is quite entertaining surely?

Biden wasn't my choice, but there is a basic difference in possession of decency and dignity that Trump cannot win.

I have about £300 staked now, and a similar amount at risk on the spreads. I am hoping for an entertaining night on PB, with lots of on the night bargain hunting and reverse ferreting.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Getting there though, such as the new VW group ID3 platform.

I am very happy with my Kia e-Niro. Best quality car I have ever owned, and a complete convert to electricity.
    It is indeed getting there slowly. The main problems are the range of the cars and a lack of co-ordination on the buildout of charging infrastructure, where Tesla have stolen a march on everyone else.

For people of reasonable means, who own a house with a driveway and rarely travel more than 100 miles from home, yes an electric car makes sense. For company car drivers who pound the motorways, a plugin hybrid or Tesla makes sense purely for the tax advantages. For everyone else, 80% of motorists it's not quite there yet - but that will likely get better in the next five years or so.

Korean cars in general have got a lot better over the past decade, they've gone from being the new Skodas and Ladas to being fair competition for the Japanese.
  • Options
    Some good news amid all the gloom. Former shareholder buys up the assets of bankrupt regional airline FlyBe, hoping to relaunch UK domestic services in the coming months.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/10/19/flybe-eyes-return-skies/
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907
    Jonathan said:

If Sunak wants to go further in his careee, he might like to find a point of principle to resign on before things get too choppy.

Javid tried that and look where it got him.... A one way ticket to JP Morgan.....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,445
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

I have a handful of money on Trump maybe £20 just to have some interest.
    I do too from last year when it looked like this election was going to be about the economy. I will be content enough to lose it.
    As I have said often, I'm not so sure I'll lose.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Germany seems to be allowed to invest. There is a paradox that this Conservative government depends on its supporters who would look askance at Labour investing even half as much, opposing any EU restrictions at all.
    Sadly the Fuck Business party has forgotten what Capitalism actually is - invest, grow, gain a return on that investment, repeat. They have decided that *any* investment is subsidy is communism and must be slapped down. So every other country invests in infrastructure and capacity and skills whereas the UK sells it off for a one time quick profit and then wonders why whats left of industry is foreign controlled.
    One of the key roles of the state should be to provide an environment in which private business can flourish. Through stability of government and legal frameworks, guarantee of and adherence to the rule of law, fair (but non-punitive) taxation, I would say commitment to retain the value of money, and, yes, investment in key infrastructure.

Not exactly something that Conservative Governments can claim they've even paid much lip service to over the last five years.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Biden wasn't my choice, but there is a basic difference in possession of decency and dignity that Trump cannot win.

I have about £300 staked now, and a similar amount at risk on the spreads. I am hoping for an entertaining night on PB, with lots of on the night bargain hunting and reverse ferreting.
    £1000 in my case, which is more than the aggregate of everything I have ever bet on everything in my entire life. The thinking is, I have saved a lot more than that in an expenditure-free year; that I can mentally award myself big swinging dick status (or at least visible without a microscope swinging dick status) as a high roller, and that if it pays off I will become that one person in a million who has won overall over a lifetime - provided I stop when the fun stops, of course. Also, I am bored.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,914
    edited October 2020

I don't think anyone's posted the thing about muting the microphones?
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/19/us/trump-vs-biden#taking-aim-at-interruptions-the-debate-commission-will-mute-trump-and-biden-during-portions-of-thursdays-debate

Not sure if Trump will still be in at this point.

Muting the microphones will help Trump. The president will still be able to heckle Biden but viewers (voters) will not hear the unpresidential barracking that alienated so many in the first debate.
    Seems unlikely considering the Reps were against any muting and Dems wanted it in the debate sections as well. It will certainly mean that Biden can get his message accross with out it being shouted down every 10 seconds.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

£1000 in my case, which is more than the aggregate of everything I have ever bet on everything in my entire life. The thinking is, I have saved a lot more than that in an expenditure-free year; that I can mentally award myself big swinging dick status (or at least visible without a microscope swinging dick status) as a high roller, and that if it pays off I will become that one person in a million who has won overall over a lifetime - provided I stop when the fun stops, of course. Also, I am bored.
    Plus you're up a Bentley, albeit have some CGT down the line.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,456
    edited October 2020
    Manchester MPs want to try shielding the vulnerable rather than Tier 3 lockdown says Telegraph.

I say give it a go. We need an "experiment" like this.

Of course Hancock and co will flatly refuse and insist their way is the only way.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

A low cost road bike is actually my target. These are not 1000/1 shots.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

"Low cost road bike"? Hush your mouth - don't let @Dura hear you.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

I discovered the other day why he is called that...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

I discovered the other day why he is called that...
    So you're well beyond low cost already.
  • Options
    UK to do a challenge study on Covid reports R4. Volunteers to be infected with covid to test vaccines.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Some good news amid all the gloom. Former shareholder buys up the assets of bankrupt regional airline FlyBe, hoping to relaunch UK domestic services in the coming months.

Good. Liked Flybe. flying with them out of Southampton Airport was always a good experience.

Other good news this morning: £80 covid tests at Heathrow now available (R4).
  • Options
    Andy Burnham talking sense on R4 this morning also.

Looking at long term mental health problems as a result of T3/lockdown.
  • Options
    The vaccines that come in next few months probably wont be the ones we will use long term in say 3 or 4 years to handle covid each winter, says prof on R4.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,053
    TOPPING said:

Like an ancient lich in an ossuary I stir when I sense somebody is about to buy a shit bike.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Nigelb said:

Can’t think many of the victims will be voting Republican.
    ... That illusion has had real costs. State and local governments spent at least $400 million, largely on land and infrastructure Foxconn will likely never need. Residents were pushed from their homes under threat of eminent domain and dozens of houses bulldozed to clear property Foxconn doesn’t know what to do with. And a recurring cycle of new recruits joined the project, eager to help it succeed, only to become trapped in a mirage...

An utter con, disastrously executed.

I remember when people on here were hailing the Wisconsin Foxconn deal as a genius move that would cement Wisconsin for the Republicans and burnish Scott Walker's presidential credentials.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

CGT on gambling profits??
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TOPPING said:

IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

CGT on gambling profits??
    IIRC @Ishmael_Z liquidated his investments at the outset of the pandemic.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Absolutely. I get very angry about the way the mental health nightmares are just nodded towards by the likes of Hancock before they move on to insist on ever more stringent lockdowns.

Most ministers are now wearing covid blinkers. They can see nothing else.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Good. Liked Flybe. flying with them out of Southampton Airport was always a good experience.

I used to fly out of Southampton too, I used to live in Salisbury and had a contract in Manchester. It was fantastic to arrive 20 mins before your flight and walk straight through onto the plane.

Rapid tests at Heathrow are a good breakthrough, the plan there is to set up something of an air corridor between London and the USA, with lots of testing to avoid quarantines.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Good post. I`m in a similar position - my bets are at "turned up to eleven, balls-out, don`t-tell-the -wife" levels and I doubt this will be repeated for me ever in the future. It`s the disparity in the odds - an great opportunity I think.
  • Options
    Manchester's Sir Richard Leese wants to know why it doesn't make more sense to shield the vulnerable rather than shut down the whole of Manchester.

Most people who test + aren't the problem, he says. It is those with existing conditions and the frail and elderly.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/10/19/boris-johnson-urged-reintroduce-shielding-instead-imposing-manchester/
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

I used to fly out of Southampton too, I used to live in Salisbury and had a contract in Manchester. It was fantastic to arrive 20 mins before your flight and walk straight through onto the plane.

Rapid tests at Heathrow are a good breakthrough, the plan there is to set up something of an air corridor between London and the USA, with lots of testing to avoid quarantines.
    Flybe Exeter to Dublin/Belfast/Edinburgh was fantastic. But I understand this is effectively a bid for the slots at proper airports, sadly.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,472
    edited October 2020

TOPPING said:

Absolutely. I get very angry about the way the mental health nightmares are just nodded towards by the likes of Hancock before they move on to insist on ever more stringent lockdowns.

I am off work today with symptoms of exhaustion.

Another problem I have been foreseeing for weeks.

And yet, for those who criticise my profession, if I can catch up on enough sleep I still intend to go back in tomorrow, although I could self-certify for the rest of the week and have the extended half term I have been advising.

What bothers me is how many other teachers will have to follow.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Watching Fox desperately trying to spin the Hunter Biden storm-in-a-teacup into something damaging is a joy to behold.

Hunter Biden is as damaging as Mark Thatcher. Utterly corrupt but probably will have limited impact on his father’s career.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

And yet, for those who criticise my profession, if I can catch up on enough sleep I still intend to go back in tomorrow, although I could self-certify for the rest of the week and have the extended half term I have been advising.

Take it easy - not sure PB is the best place for your blood pressure, that said.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Sorry to hear this. Teaching is a tough gig at the best of times. The current arrangements must be very hard.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Take it easy - not sure PB is the best place for your blood pressure, that said.
    Oh, come on. Where else will I find people who appreciate my punning skills?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Nowhere appreciates your punning skills more than PB.
  • Options
    GadflyGadfly Posts: 1,191
    I see that opponents of the Great Barrington Declaration are making their voices heard.

Exhibit 1: John M. Barry the author of “The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History.” has written this op-ed.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/19/opinion/coronavirus-herd-immunity.html

Exhibit 2: 4,400 scientists, researchers & healthcare professionals have now signed the John Snow Memorandum.

https://www.johnsnowmemo.com/

• Options
    eristdoof said:

I don't think anyone's posted the thing about muting the microphones?
    https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/10/19/us/trump-vs-biden#taking-aim-at-interruptions-the-debate-commission-will-mute-trump-and-biden-during-portions-of-thursdays-debate

Not sure if Trump will still be in at this point.

Muting the microphones will help Trump. The president will still be able to heckle Biden but viewers (voters) will not hear the unpresidential barracking that alienated so many in the first debate.
    Seems unlikely considering the Reps were against any muting and Dems wanted it in the debate sections as well. It will certainly mean that Biden can get his message accross with out it being shouted down every 10 seconds.
    That is the conventional wisdom but imo is precisely the wrong way round (assuming Trump and Biden share a stage -- it would be different if they were remote).

It is a paradox but muting will help Trump. The effect of muting is two-fold. First, Trump can still heckle Biden in an attempt to put him off. Second, the audience at home cannot hear Trump so cannot be repelled by his antics like they were in the first debate; they will just hear Biden stumble for no apparent reason, and perhaps even infer senility.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Nowhere appreciates your punning skills more than PB.
    That’s why I’m going nowhere :smile:
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,106
    As far as I'm aware, the Annual Investment Allowance is due to reduce from 1m to 200k in January. That seems like a bad idea to me - surely we should continue to encourage businesses to invest, especially in the current climate?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Flybe Exeter to Dublin/Belfast/Edinburgh was fantastic. But I understand this is effectively a bid for the slots at proper airports, sadly.
    I used to love small planes and small airports - Exeter to Edinburgh was definitely another good one, alongside anything from London City. The whole experience was miles better than flying short haul out of a bug airport, having to turn up hours early and face huge queues everywhere. Damn @MaxPB for having had the opportunity to fly the now-cancelled BA001 flight from LCY to New York. I never quite managed to find a customer to get me on it.

Sadly small planes are going nowhere near LHR until they build another runway, the slots are just too valuable now - despite the events of this year.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

I used to love small planes and small airports - Exeter to Edinburgh was definitely another good one, alongside anything from London City. The whole experience was miles better than flying short haul out of a bug airport, having to turn up hours early and face huge queues everywhere. Damn @MaxPB for having had the opportunity to fly the now-cancelled BA001 flight from LCY to New York. I never quite managed to find a customer to get me on it.

Sadly small planes are going nowhere near LHR until they build another runway, the slots are just too valuable now - despite the events of this year.
    For the same reason that local rail services to London from the West Midlands are not going to happen this side of HS2 opening.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686
    TOPPING said:

Re US threads. Nah.

I am applying the gravity theory of political events to the US election. It is of course a huge political betting event but it is in a distant land.

Keep the UK-focused articles coming.

Bit xenophobic of you.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

My last flight (ever?) was Stornoway to Exeter via Edinburgh this time last year. Fantastic.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Genuine question: has anyone got anything out of the "accept cookies" then? Anyone?

I accept that they hoover up a lot of personal information that they probably don't need and shouldn't have. But they're also extremely annoying: like a toddler pesting you every 30 seconds.

And I'm not sure you really have much choice anyway.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,037

New Thread

• Options
    edited October 2020

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Genuine question: has anyone got anything out of the "accept cookies" then? Anyone?

I accept that they hoover up a lot of personal information that they probably don't need and shouldn't have. But they're also extremely annoying: like a toddler pesting you every 30 seconds.

What's really annoying is that companies have worked around the rules in a deliberately obtuse way. Instead of 'accept' and 'reject' buttons - to which most people would hit 'reject' - they have 'accept all' and 'manage' buttons, the latter of which involves a deliberately complicated and convoluted system of choosing what to accept.

Better to simply encourage the use of broader management tools, such as ad blockers and script blockers.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Watching Fox desperately trying to spin the Hunter Biden storm-in-a-teacup into something damaging is a joy to behold.

Hunter Biden is as damaging as Mark Thatcher. Utterly corrupt but probably will have limited impact on his father’s career.
    Sort of on that theme - and not much commented on in the media - the antics of the new Thai King Vajiralongkorn threatens to bring the whole monarchy down. There have been very strong and defiant protests for some time now.

He's a textbook study in how not to behave.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Not as way behind as we are.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

I think trading on the night could be risky and misinformed, unless we have superb analysis and real-time digestion of the results, with caveats, on here with something like the @AndyJS spreadsheet.

I still haven't decided whether I'll stay up or whether I'll go to bed and get up and check in the small hours.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Re US threads. Nah.

I am applying the gravity theory of political events to the US election. It is of course a huge political betting event but it is in a distant land.

Bit xenophobic of you.
    Bit not understanding how humans work of you.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,907

Roy_G_Biv said:

This one is pretty simple isn't it? Wear a sodding mask. Yes its bad when TV stars and Twitter mega people like Lineker. Really bad - don't encourage morons to not wear masks.

So if its really bad for TV tots not bollocks it up, how bad is it when the PM slaps an MP on the back on the way out of the Commons or ManCock not wearing a mask in his car?

Not at all bad. It doesn't matter as the government is above the law and can do what it wants.

It's probably also an idea for people not to take too seriously what celebrities do. I've never understood the hatred Gary Lineker inspires in the far right. He's some TV guy with some opinions, some of which you might agree with, some of which you might not. I'm not sure anyone who gets worked up over him is making their own lives, or the world, better.
    Agreed. I don't know or care what he thinks, but whatever it is he's entitled to think it. I agree it's a pity he didn't set a good example on masks.
    I agree he is entitled to think it.

I do not think he is entitled to take millions of taxpayers pounds while working for a state broadcaster while broadcasting his opinions. If he wants to do that, he should be a private citizen and not part of the state broadcaster that people go to prison if they don't pay the fees for.
    I'm less interested in analysing the bollox you write as in knowing how you get the time?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

DavidL said:

Foxy said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

What's really annoying is that companies have worked around the rules in a deliberately obtuse way. Instead of 'accept' and 'reject' buttons - to which most people would hit 'reject' - they have 'accept all' and 'manage' buttons, the latter of which involves a deliberately complicated and convoluted system of choosing what to accept.

Better to simply encourage the use of broader management tools, such as ad blockers and script blockers.
    Yes, quite - who has the time for that when they're looking up hotels or flights and have to get to work?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Re US threads. Nah.

Bit xenophobic of you.
    Bit not understanding how humans work of you.
    Oh, the irony.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    IshmaelZ said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Future cost effectiveness will depend on whether the government is willing to continue the significant former subsidies from the EU regional airports fund.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,863
    Charles said:

I think you could only say that if he were ever convicted of something.
    Thatcher was arrested, tried and sentenced.

• Options
    Superb header from Ms Cyclefree - one of the best I've ever seen on this site.
This discussion has been closed.