Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » #Fingergate is proving to be an opportunity lost for Farage

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » #Fingergate is proving to be an opportunity lost for Farage/UKIP

Of course, Anna Soubry’s comments on the Marr about Nigel Farage show were wrong but the interesting thing, as is being noted in the Tweets above, has been the UKIP/Farage response.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    First.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    I'm sure that Soubry and all the other panellists have said worse things about political rivals and opponents off camera.

The faux outrage is quite frankly pathetic, but in this digital age such remarks go viral.

The Soubry colonoscope is flexible and available in purple and yellow.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    edited December 2013
    Labour MP Barry Sheerman, said: “The Anna Soubry comment on Nigel Farage plumbs new depths in political debate and [David] Cameron should sack her now.”

Trying to work out if that was deliberate.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    In terms of political skills Farage is showing that he’s not in the same league as Alexander.

Chortle.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    edited December 2013
    Has there been any faux outrage from ukip?

And wasn't this Farages response to it? A short quip

@Nigel_Farage: @tnewtondunn perhaps @anna_soubrymp should spend less time investigating digital rectal insertion and more on her brief?

Think the thread writer is writing what he wants to have happened rather than what did happen
  • Options
    I've said it before, UKIP are the fuzzy wuzzies of British Politics.

They don't like it up 'em.
  • Options
    What's all this pompous outrage about Soubry and Nigel Farage's bottom? Paul Keating's description of Malcolm Frazer, made in the Australian parliament, is one of the most famous political insults in history:

'You look Like an Easter Island statue with an arse full of razor blades.'

And he went on to be PM.
  • Options
    Compared (unfavourably) to Danny. Oh, the humiliation.
  • Options
    La Soubry is behaving like somebody who doesn't expect to be an MP for much longer.

NickP must be smiling like a Cheshire cat.
  • Options
    Farage needs to pull his finger out.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    As I said earlier the fingergate will do Anna Soubry no harm. It doesn't feature on either the SKY or BBC websites, even on the Politics pages. On the contrary it is Vince Cable trying to compare Tory rhetoric on migrants with the Enoch Powell "Rivers of Blood" speech which is making the news.

I look forward to Anna roundly thumping Nick P at the GE and safely increasing her majority even if Nick P is a nice chap.
  • Options
    The only outrage I feel is knowing how differently people would have reacted if it had been said by the Ukip councillor for Borington on Sea ...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Well Chapman, Montgomery and you, would say that, wouldn't you?

As it happens there is great support for Farage and all manner of negative retorts re Soubry on twitter.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

La Soubry is behaving like somebody who doesn't expect to be an MP for much longer.

Well he smiled as an MP whilst he did his best to destroy the economy and the country, so a stupid smirk today would be in character.

• Options
    @MikeK All I'm saying is that Farage's response has been poor and I'll-thought out. A problem he's got is that he lacks a sense of humour
  • Options
    A thread on Nigel Farage's bumhole.

Politics hasn't been this surreal since the good old days of usenet and the Lewinsky scandal.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Totally gripping stuff at the wanderers.

+12.60 SA
    +12.70 Draw
    + More India but won't happen.
  • Options
    VinnyVinny Posts: 48
    'not in the same league as Alexander..'
    Based on one single comment in a single TV show, what a load of nonsense!
  • Options
    A pity that yougov have stopped polling for a fortnight.

They could have polled on this.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Well he smiled as an MP whilst he did his best to destroy the economy and the country, so a stupid smirk today would be in character.

He's a friend of mine, Geoff. Your comment is silly, and a million miles wide of the mark.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Farage needs to pull his finger out.

That really does take what used to be called self abuse to a new level. Whether it's higher or lower I leave others to judge.

• Options
    So what's the odds on Farage standing in Broxtowe in 2015?
  • Options

So what's the odds on Farage standing in Broxtowe in 2015?

• Options
    He's smarter than to stand against an incumbent and a strong ex incumbent. If any seat was going to go either Lab or Con, Broxtowe is it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

He's smarter than to stand against an incumbent and a strong ex incumbent. If any seat was going to go either Lab or Con, Broxtowe is it.

He's the man who finished third in a two horse race in 2010.

On the smart stakes he's more Varro than Hannibal.

• Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    It's no big deal.

But he could have pointed out that if he'd said the same thing about her (sexist) or even Lord Mandelson (homophobic), he would have been in lot more trouble.

• Options
    My prediction of a saints win keeps my form going... nice to watch match of the day for a change
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited December 2013

Politics hasn't been this surreal since the good old days of usenet and the Lewinsky scandal.

Yes TSE, it's a fundament(al) thread.
  • Options
    Really have to feel for Faf Du Plessis here.
  • Options

I find that hard to swallow

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    May be we can have a bit of fun coming up with better responses for Farage.

How about: "Instead of making offensive comments, Anna Soubry should pull her finger out and focus on the day job"

(The most interesting reaction was Mandelson, I think. He patted Soubry back into her chair in a wonderfully patronising manouvere. He knew straightaway that she had made a bad mistake - although I think it was more a case of over-reaching and trying to keep the laughs going than a planned comment)
  • Options
    Labour is the big winner here.
  • Options

I find that hard to swallow

A problem that Monica Lewinsky doesn't suffer from.

I was so disappointed that her autobiography wasn't a blow by blow account of the affair.

• Options

My prediction of a saints win keeps my form going... nice to watch match of the day for a change

I told you my Spurs for a top 4 finish bet is going to be a winner.

• Options

GeoffM said:

He's a friend of mine, Geoff. Your comment is silly, and a million miles wide of the mark.

I know he's a friend of yours. That's why I came close to asking you to declare an interest when you complimented him downthread.

That doesn't affect the fact that he's completely unrepentant about his role in a government which came close to permanently wrecking the country. I hold him and his fellow Labour MPs at the time in utter contempt.

• Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    A thread on Farage's butt? Oh Mr Smithson, you're spoiling us.
  • Options
    I've never been more desperate to lose 10 p in all my days on this test !
  • Options
    He should have said 'briefs'.
  • Options
    Carola said:

A thread on Farage's butt? Oh Mr Smithson, you're spoiling us.

If only she had said it about Alex Salmond.

Just imagine the PB thread on that.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    Dare one suggest that the Saffirs have bottled it again?
  • Options
    @MikeSmithson

you are obviously a massive Soubry fan as evidenced by your thread asking if Farage had lost it after her last QT performance... But you have read this incorrectly... Farage did reply with a short humorous quip, one that prompted @JosiasJessop to comment

"A great reply: dismissive and slightly amusing."

on the last thread

The premise of this thread is wrong
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    I agree with SeanT-Soubry has been given the brief to bring down Farage a notch from his current level for UKIP is nothing without him.

Farage reacted appropriately but the right-wing media except the Express will use anything to tar UKIP for they know the Tories are done for if UKIP do well in 2015.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,889
    Afternoon all :)

Back from Christmas shopping with Mrs Stodge - not as busy as I had expected but it may well be tomorrow will be manic as (if my office is anything to go by), a lot of people will be on leave.

Fantastic to see NZ win a test series and it looks a huge task for the Saffers to chase down the India target but we'll see.

I noted Avery/Seth yesterday comparing the Conservatives to a horse "four lengths off the leader on the home turn but still travelling on the bridle". Well, I've looked ahead to the General Election Handicap on May 7th 2015 run over one parliament for three year olds of all ages and the result is as follows:

1) Labour (People's Flag - Mister Eds) - soon prominent and led. Clear halfway but reeled in under pressure final furlong. Held on narrowly, one out all out.
    2) Conservative (Blue Streak - Big Society) - behind early and challenged for second halfway. Rallied to press leader but hung right and left under pressure final furlong. Just failed.
    3) Liberal Democrat (Yellow Peril - Gladstone's Folly) - soon well behind and struggling. No impression until took third close home.
    4) UKIP (Better Off Out- Farrago) - chased up to challenge for second halfway. Soon ridden and faded under pressure. Lost third post.

Distances: who knows, who cares
    Time: 5 years

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited December 2013
    Pulpstar said:

Tell me you're joking.
  • Options
    from @nigel_farage: "perhaps @anna_soubrymp should spend less time investigating digital rectal insertion and more on her brief?"

seems pretty humorous to me....
  • Options

I told you my Spurs for a top 4 finish bet is going to be a winner.

You couldn't let me enjoy the day... I'll try anyway...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    JohnO said:

Pulpstar said:

Tell me you're joking.
    Cras comment from Soubry followed by over-reaction from Farage ?

Can't see it being a massive positive for either UKIP or CON...

Oook maybe Labour is the small winner here as this story is a bit of a typhoon in a coffee mug.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Anybody interested in animal rights should be campaigning for the banning of halal and kosher slaughter, along with ta general tidy-up of practices in abattoirs.

The RSPA guidance:
    http://www.rspca.org.uk/ImageLocator/LocateAsset?asset=document&assetId=1232719611043&mode=prd

A report from 2003, saying it should end:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/2977086.stm

The fact that Labour banned fox hunting, yet ignored (I think) two independent reports stating these practices should end, is concerning.

Still, the release of one of the reports a few years ago did provide me with some hilarity: the sight id an imam and rabbi on the same news program, equally angry, and on the same side.

Perhaps a ban on these practices would unite those two religions... ;-)
  • Options
    stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

Back from Christmas shopping with Mrs Stodge - not as busy as I had expected but it may well be tomorrow will be manic as (if my office is anything to go by), a lot of people will be on leave.

Fantastic to see NZ win a test series and it looks a huge task for the Saffers to chase down the India target but we'll see.

I noted Avery/Seth yesterday comparing the Conservatives to a horse "four lengths off the leader on the home turn but still travelling on the bridle". Well, I've looked ahead to the General Election Handicap on May 7th 2015 run over one parliament for three year olds of all ages and the result is as follows:

1) Labour (People's Flag - Mister Eds) - soon prominent and led. Clear halfway but reeled in under pressure final furlong. Held on narrowly, one out all out.
    2) Conservative (Blue Streak - Big Society) - behind early and challenged for second halfway. Rallied to press leader but hung right and left under pressure final furlong. Just failed.
    3) Liberal Democrat (Yellow Peril - Gladstone's Folly) - soon well behind and struggling. No impression until took third close home.
    4) UKIP (Better Off Out- Farrago) - chased up to challenge for second halfway. Soon ridden and faded under pressure. Lost third post.

Distances: who knows, who cares
    Time: 5 years

Brilliant, Stodge!

Have a happy Christmas.

• Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Mike is right Farage doesn't have much of a sense of humour, but he doesn;t need one, with events flowing so unremittingly in his favour right now.

• Options
    South Africa should have gone for that a bit more but that game demonstrates just how huge Aus 500+ targets were to get.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited December 2013
    Pulpstar said:

JohnO said:

Pulpstar said:

Tell me you're joking.
    Cras comment from Soubry followed by over-reaction from Farage ?

Can't see it being a massive positive for either UKIP or CON...

Oook maybe Labour is the small winner here as this story is a bit of a typhoon in a coffee mug.
    That's good progress. But this is the archetypal Silly Season [Yuletide] story. Forgotten by tomorrow. No one dead (unlike that small earthquake in Chile)
  • Options
    Soubry's obscene outburst was suggestive of Tourette's, it was sad and disturbing.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    @Taffy

"have much of a sense of humour"

He seems to smile less in the last week or two, as evidenced by his youtube appearances.

I put it down to pain from his recent spinal surgery.
  • Options
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

I know he's a friend of yours. That's why I came close to asking you to declare an interest when you complimented him downthread.

That doesn't affect the fact that he's completely unrepentant about his role in a government which came close to permanently wrecking the country. I hold him and his fellow Labour MPs at the time in utter contempt.

I've made many friends through PB over the years, Geoff. I don't see any need to 'declare an interest' whenever I comment on one, supportively or otherwise.

• Options
    The M&S story is great for UKIP.
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

I've made many friends through PB over the years, Geoff. I don't see any need to 'declare an interest' whenever I comment on one, supportively or otherwise.

And nobody asked you to :)

• Options
    'Rather than find a smart way to laugh it off Farage is coming over badly. A short quip would have done the trick.'

I agree Mike. Soubry is getting under Farage's skin and he's coming across as a wounded and petulant take-offence-monger. I sense Crosby's hand in this. Targeting party leaders with psychological warfare is a well-known practice in Aus. The Tories clearly feel Farage is vulnerable - a confidence player who needs to be loved - and are aiming to shatter his self-esteem. I think they're on to something.
  • Options
    So what else was said on Marr's programme today? What did her remark mask?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trying to empathise with the Muslims who refuse to serve alcohol and pork, I guess it would be similar to me working in a foreign country where eating cats or dogs was acceptable... I wouldn't want to serve those animals to people to eat

But I just think i wouldn't work in such a store rather than work there and ask for different rules..., and secondly, and most disturbingly i suppose in terms of division and segregation, this is their country not a foreign land
  • Options
    Having unloaded all my shopping onto the counter at M&S, if the assistant refuses to serve me because there is alcohol, then I will expect the assistant to move to another counter and have a different assistant serve me. If not then the shopping will remain on the counter and I will go elsewhere for better service.

This will not need to happen too many times before M&S change their policy. We are fortunate to have competitive markets in this country.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    I wonder if Ms Soubry will set out to aggressively finger the cracks in her opponents' positions during the 2015 election
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Well, you felt inclined to point it out. I don't know why. It was a light-hearted comment on a lightweight theme. I don't see that it merited a silly and rather insulting post about somebody you knew was a friend.

Do you often insult people's friend's Or is it something you do only from behind the safety of a computer?
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Trying to empathise with the Muslims who refuse to serve alcohol and pork, I guess it would be similar to me working in a foreign country where eating cats or dogs was acceptable... I wouldn't want to serve those animals to people to eat

But I just think i wouldn't work in such a store rather than work there and ask for different rules..., and secondly, and most disturbingly i suppose in terms of division and segregation, this is their country not a foreign land
    Down the comments a bit:

BOOBOO, BLAKBURN, 26 minutes ago

You can buy pork and alcohol in many Muslim countries. Often served by Muslims. (I know, i'm a Muslim). this is getting more pathetic by the minute!

Its tricky to put myself in anyone's place on this as I don't have any beliefs whatsoever myself, but it just smacks of the 'PC consensus'.
  • Options
    Marks and Spencer! I've boycotted that place since an assistant in the one at Waterloo Station refused to sell me a bottle of wine because she thought I was drunk! So I was, in fact, but what's that got to do with anything?
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited December 2013
    Although I'm very unimpressed by Ms Soubry's vulgar comment, I do feel it's highly amusing that the Kippers are reacting with such synthetic indignation. I thought they were supposed to be all in favour of non-politically correct, plain 'man in the pub' speaking rather than the cautious platitudes of the professional politicians? And they certainly haven't held back in making personal attacks on their opponents. As TSE says upthread, they don't like it up 'em.

Anyway, electoral effect: zero. Do not adjust your bets.

• Options

Although I'm very unimpressed by Ms Soubry's vulgar comment, I do feel it's highly amusing that the Kippers are reacting with such synthetic indignation. I thought they were supposed to be all in favour of non-politically correct, plain 'man in the pub' speaking rather than the cautious platitudes of the professional politicians? And they certainly haven't held back in making personal attacks on their opponents. As TSE says upthread, the don't like it up 'em.

I'm just glad it wasn't Ed Balls again !
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Although I'm very unimpressed by Ms Soubry's vulgar comment, I do feel it's highly amusing that the Kippers are reacting with such synthetic indignation. I thought they were supposed to be all in favour of non-politically correct, plain 'man in the pub' speaking rather than the cautious platitudes of the professional politicians? And they certainly haven't held back in making personal attacks on their opponents. As TSE says upthread, the don't like it up 'em.

Where is the indignation? Can you point it out?

Farage immediately made a joke of it, and the only indignation I have seen is from the fact that had a Kipper said it, the outrage would be through the roof, calls for sackings would be made etc etc

Surely the only person who comes out of this badly is the person who made the vulgar comment
  • Options
    Early Christmas present for Nick Palmer.

Ex Conservative UKIP voters are reminded about 'Tory toxicity' and continue to vote UKIP.
    Ex Labour UKIP voters are reminded about 'Tory toxicity' and return to voting Labour

• Options
    Mr. SMukesh, that's more a gender divide than anything else.

Hmm. Am I going mad, or was Soubry in some way connected with the infamous 'stick the boot in' poster campaign some years ago?
  • Options

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Well, you felt inclined to point it out. I don't know why. It was a light-hearted comment on a lightweight theme. I don't see that it merited a silly and rather insulting post about somebody you knew was a friend.

Do you often insult people's friend's Or is it something you do only from behind the safety of a computer?
    Everyone is someone's friend.

• Options
    M&S has been struggling and this is just another nail in the coffin. Who wants to shop at a place where an assistant can refuse to sell you some of the items that are for sale FFs !!

The management should make it clear to all staff that in on the cutthroat high street, customers simply won;t tolerate this sort of behaviour. Either everybody serves everything, or ultimately everybody's job is at stake.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

I daresay there are jobs that can be found for you at M & S that don't require you to handle pork and alcohol. It's telling paying customers to go to another till that's so bizarre (and commercially suicidal). on top of their equally strange decision to make toys "gender-neutral", there's obviously something in the water there.
  • Options
    M and S food sales weren't too bad, but they have been running pre-Christmas discounts on clothes, which is an 'unusual' move. I do wonder how this story got into the Press and how far it is linked to discontent with the current management's strategy.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/dec/18/marks-and-spencer-debenhams-slump-share-price

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    isam said:

Where is the indignation? Can you point it out?

Farage immediately made a joke of it, and the only indignation I have seen is from the fact that had a Kipper said it, the outrage would be through the roof, calls for sackings would be made etc etc

Surely the only person who comes out of this badly is the person who made the vulgar comment
    There are two responses attributed to Farage: the first was pretty well judged. The second was totally the wrong attitude, and the sort of righteous indignation I'd expect from Salmond.

However, it does not seem to appear on Farage's twitter account (but I'm unknowing of Twitter's ways, and it does not mean he did not say it on another media).

In fact, the reactions are so different that I wonder if they are even from the same person?
  • Options
    Mr. Taffys, a few days ago I saw on the news that M&S were having an early sale due to poor performance in the festive season. This isn't going to help them.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

'Rather than find a smart way to laugh it off Farage is coming over badly. A short quip would have done the trick.'

I agree Mike. Soubry is getting under Farage's skin and he's coming across as a wounded and petulant take-offence-monger. I sense Crosby's hand in this. Targeting party leaders with psychological warfare is a well-known practice in Aus. The Tories clearly feel Farage is vulnerable - a confidence player who needs to be loved - and are aiming to shatter his self-esteem. I think they're on to something.

Yes, probably, but it also damages the Tory brand at the same time, by making them look nasty (and hypocritical) and it certainly damages Soubry. Previously she'd been seen as one of the more interesting yet normal of the new Tories. She certainly seems more interesting now, in a bad way, and positively abnormal.

And how does this take votes back from UKIP? Are there really loads of people out there who will look at Farage anew and think, hmm yes, he does look like he enjoys recreational proctology, I'm voting Tory instead? Or is it more likely there are Tory/UKIP floaters who dislike Tory sneering at kippers ("closet racists, fruitcakes"), and will drift further to Farage's party?

It's a dangerous, even desperate strategy. But then I think many Tories (and Lib Dems like Mike) are in quiet despair, as they watch the rise of UKIP.

You are absolutely right.

Amazing how people will let their standards drop when they are angry and desperate.
  • Options
    t's a dangerous, even desperate strategy. But then I think many Tories (and Lib Dems like Mike) are in quiet despair, as they watch the rise of UKIP.

Cable and Clegg are all over the media today, with shrill accusations of 'scaremongering' and 'rivers of blood' rhetoric.

You have to think the people who are panicking are the coalition.
  • Options
    Should have kept the tone high and said he had the appearance of a low grade bank clerk and the charisma of a damp rag.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    I would assess it as a playground insult from Anna S.

Non pc, so good, insulting, who cares in the modern society.

I would be amazed if it has any political effect.

• Options
    smithersjones2013smithersjones2013 Posts: 740
    edited December 2013
    Hmmmm so what have I missed today. Not a lot. Quoting Chapman and Montgomerie is hardly quoting neutral observers.

You can tell its silly season though can't you? Widow Twanky is in full pantomime mood is she? One thing's for sure few would fantasise about her aging bottom. Even I didn't think Tories were that childish but hey ho. Now I wonder if Widow Twanky would say the same about say her colleague Alan Duncan, joking or no?

Farage should have just made a smart quip about it. The thing is given Farage's core constituency and the level of prior abuse that has been aimed at UKIP by the Tories outside the circus of the Westminster Freakshow I doubt this will have any negative impact. Of course the usual sheeple and nodding dogs will tut disapprovingly as they so adore to do (whilst no doubt sitting on each others fingers)........

• Options
    edited December 2013
    This isn't going to help them.

Think the non-muslim staff won;t be affected by this?? think again. Imagine having to deal with customers who've been shunted from a queue where a muslim won;t serve alcohol.

'Well, you're deigning to sell me alcohol, that's so big of you, I must say, how nice. I've only wasted twenty minutes due to somebody's religious beliefs. Think I'm going to keep shopping here..???

Or let's say you're a muslim on a checkout. Are you really going to refuse someone who says 'oh go on, its only one bottle, I'm sure Allah won;'t mind, its really busy in here, Oh come on I've been waiting for ages....oh please.....my car's on a meter.....
  • Options
    She is my goods, my chattels; she is my house.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-25484161

Warwickshire lad lived in second best house in Stratford.
  • Options
    William_H said:

Should have kept the tone high and said he had the appearance of a low grade bank clerk and the charisma of a damp rag.

Do you reckon Herman Von Rompuy has just added Anna Soubry to his Christmas card list?
  • Options
    philiph said:

I would assess it as a playground insult from Anna S.

Non pc, so good, insulting, who cares in the modern society.

I would be amazed if it has any political effect.

Sometime very soon, a reporter is going to ask Cameron about Soubry. That will keep it in the news. It's not world changing, but it was an inadvisable quip, that will haunt her.

• Options
    @william_H welcome.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

Everyone is someone's friend.

Sure.

And you only insult them anonymously and from behind the safety of a computer?
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited December 2013
    Our mainstream politicians have created this politically correct world that we now live in, where you can get your collar felt for a numpty rant on twitter. Soubry is part of that ruling class elite, so it's only fair she gets the same treatment as us. Farage should make an official complaint, make her squirm.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Interesting comment on Soubry, from the Guardian fingerbottom article.

"She's my MP, and I've been writing about her for several years on the Beestonia blog. She has a very slim majority, 389, and lacking the Ashcroft money her campaign recieved last time round it is very unlikely she will be reelected. She's made loads of enemies in Broxtowe, her constituency, and done very little to show any local interest. So she's looking forward to 2015 cleverly.

"She's a former local media personality, and would dearly love to get back into telly, political punditry the most attractive. So she gets her face on telly loads, chucks out stuff that will go noticed and thus builds a profile. I can see her now, June 2015, snuggling up on a Thursday evening with Andrew Neil when Portillo is out of town."

Reckon that nails it, pretty much.

Well spotted, SeanT

Time to top up those Broxtowe bets.
  • Options
    In the real world absolutely no-one knows this has happened.

But Farage seems to have judged things perfectly with regard to those very few UKIPers who may have noticed. Appealing to feelings of indignation and persecution (it's PC gone mad, we can't do/say this that or the other anymore, it's one rule for them another for us etc) are integral parts of the UKIP package, aren't they?
  • Options
    Welcome to pb.com, Mr. H.
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited December 2013
    Wonder what reactions would have been if anyone had said "Soubry looks like she has someones dick up her arse......and she likes it"?

Any difference, apart from the sexuality of it, obviously?

Would Mr Cameron would have been so quiet and would people have been asked to laugh it off?
  • Options
    God knows I'm no fan of Farage, but jeez. Soubry said he looks like he has a finger up his jacksie and likes it. On national tv. Some considerable time before the watershed.

Who knows what votes, if any, will shift as a consequence - but if I was a kipperish swinger in her constituency (tries to empathise...) I wouldn't be impressed.

Not that I'm a fan of hers either; but now every time I see her I'll be imagining Farage's rear end.
  • Options
    Hadn't heard anything at all about the Soubry/Farge "story" until I came to this site. Which suggests to me that the "story" isn't exactly mainstream.

Maybe I'm getting a bit prudish in my old age (44, since you ask), but Soubry just come out of this looking absolutely crass to me. Like the sort of thing you might say when you've had one drink too many - and regret once you've sobered up. Not really acceptable from an elected representative, as far as I'm concerned.
  • Options
    Interesting to read Nick Palmer's suggestion that Soubry has a negative incumbancy bonus because she is such a poor constituency MP.

Unless I'm misremembering, Soubry's electoral record was also very poor before she became an MP as well.

If Soubry was a bloke does anyone doubt that she'd still be on the back benches ?

Now it might be argued that having more female minsters is a good thing, but I wonder what professional experiences a former lawyer and journalist brings to the role of defence minister ?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2013
    dr_spyn said:

M and S food sales weren't too bad, but they have been running pre-Christmas discounts on clothes, which is an 'unusual' move. I do wonder how this story got into the Press and how far it is linked to discontent with the current management's strategy.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2013/dec/18/marks-and-spencer-debenhams-slump-share-price

The M&S story about muslim till assistants making people wait, or being transfered to another counter, has gone viral on twitter. People speak of never going to M&S again. It may be turn very serious the CEO, Mark Bolland, who is already under the cosh re, M&S womens fashions.
This discussion has been closed.