Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Ipsos MORI Politics + Society podcast. US election special. Can Trump turn it around? – politicalbet

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

Actually I’ve had a better idea on a new national anthem. Not Bohemian Rapsody (too long, no one normal can sing it) but anothe Queen staple: We Are The Champions.

I like that but it would have been embarrassing having that played to introduce our Cricket team in the 90s.
    On the flip side - the IAmAshamedOfBeingBritish brigade would explode like the ending of a Scanners movie...
  • Actually I’ve had a better idea on a new national anthem. Not Bohemian Rapsody (too long, no one normal can sing it) but anothe Queen staple: We Are The Champions.

I like that but it would have been embarrassing having that played to introduce our Cricket team in the 90s.
    Singing the National Anthem at cricket matches, even if they are Test matches, should be abolished.

It would be a good Anthem to have at the Olympics though...
  • LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Carnyx said:

LadyG said:

Carnyx said:

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Jesus this is a shit football match

Can we please also finally change the English national anthem to Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem? It is ridiculous and in my view disrespectful to Wales to have God Save the Queen as our anthem when she is their Queen too and the same goes for when England plays Scotland or Northern Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or Canada.

Just play God Save the Queen when a royal is in attendance at an England game alongside the English anthem or for Team GB at the Olympics
    How about we sing a national anthem that is about the country and not asking a sky fairy to save a wealthy individual "born to rule over us"?
    Quite right. Jerusalem probably fits the bill? Haven’t double checked every lyric!
    Still a bit religious, as is Land of Hope and Glory, but not enough to bother me. I'd be happy with either but prefer the latter.

Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory are both what an anthem should be - about what you want your country to be. Not sycophantically pandering to an individual.
    I Vow To Thee My Country. A very singable hymn.
    A fine tune, but a tad depressing. An anthem should be rousing?

Whatever the merits of demerits of God Save the Queen or its alternatives, we should be happy that anything we choose to sing will always be infinitely better than, Lord help us, "Flower of Scotland"

OMFG lol
    As sung by upper class rugger buggers at Murrayfield ...

I quite agree. A man's a man for all that is the one to go for.
    It is possibly the worst anthem in the world. No offence.

Scotland has so many good tunes, and you ended up with THAT

The Proclaimers 500 miles would make a good modern anthem! Call and response, very stirring, excellent melody
    That's an interesting suggestion!

Scots wha hae is much better than FoS, if you want a stirring battle hymn, and if you want a Flodden lament there's The flooers o the forest are a wede awa, though that's more likely to be encountered at a funeral actually.
    It's quite common for nations to pick terrible dirgey anthems when they have brilliant tunes everyone knows

Advance Australia Fair is awful, yet Waltzing Mathilda, sung by 100,000 lusty Aussies can bring a stern man close to tears

That Irish anthem is shite, and yet when they sing Molly Malone, or the Fields of Athenry....
    The Londonderry Air is sublime. Is it tarnished by being unacceptable on one side of the religious divide? (And if so, which side; I really don't know.)
    One of the greatest tunes ever written. But too sad and yearning for an anthem?

It is possibly Gaelic in origin (no one knows for sure), but it comes from Ulster traditions, and the words are "Protestant" so it is quite unifying. Both sides can claim it
    How about Danny Boy for an English anthem? Words written by an Englishman after all.
    Danny Boy IS sung to the Londonderry Air
  • Re: last night, would have really liked to have been a fly on the wall at the VP debate!
  • kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Can we please also finally change the English national anthem to Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem? It is ridiculous and in my view disrespectful to Wales to have God Save the Queen as our anthem when she is their Queen too and the same goes for when England plays Scotland or Northern Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or Canada.

Just play God Save the Queen when a royal is in attendance at an England game alongside the English anthem or for Team GB at the Olympics
    How about we sing a national anthem that is about the country and not asking a sky fairy to save a wealthy individual "born to rule over us"?
    Quite right. Jerusalem probably fits the bill? Haven’t double checked every lyric!
    Still a bit religious, as is Land of Hope and Glory, but not enough to bother me. I'd be happy with either but prefer the latter.

Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory are both what an anthem should be - about what you want your country to be. Not sycophantically pandering to an individual.
    Land of Peace and Fairness.
    Brothers all are we.
    No objection to revising the words. Just keep the tune.
    All these old hymns have problems imo.

Hold a competition for a new secular anthem.
    Change the national anthem to Bohemian Rhapsody, an anthem we all know and love.
    That would be an awesome anthem to be played while our athletes walked in at the Olympics.
    "Scaramouche Scaramouche will you do the Fandango?"

You want that in the National Anthem?
    Yes!

As a line it sure beats "Send her victorious, Happy and glorious, Long to reign over us"

Or "O Lord our God arise, Scatter thine enemies, And make them fall!"

Without getting to the infamous Scottish verse.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    "Flower of Scotland" was composed by The Corries when they were our neighbours.
    The area has improved markedly since.
  • HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

The Queen is our Head of State and anointed by God at her coronation and the royal anthem reflects that, however that does not prevent having an English national anthem as well
    "Anointed by God" 😂

We're a country with people and voters, not a theocracy.

If you want to pray to a God on Sundays or any other day then that's fine, do whatever you please. Don't shove it down the rest of our throats though.
    But she is literally anointed "by God". There is a special anointing oil used during the Coronation of an English Sovereign, a sacred and holy recipe dating back to Moses and Mesopotamia

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/2012/06/the_story_of_the_royal_anointi_1.html

I believe royal babies are also baptised with Jordan water. So take yer boring, colourless republican atheism and shove it

So, the Anglican God is *the* God, is it? Have you told the Catholics, Presbyterians, the Quakers, the Jews, the Muslims and the Sikhs yet?
    There is only 1 God if you belong to an Abrahamic religion, which includes all Christians, Muslims and Jews, just different methods of worshipping him. It is still the same God who revealed himself to Abraham that you worship.

56% of the global population belong to an Abrahamic religion
    They may have evolved from a common ancestor but saying that they're the same is like saying that humans and chimpanzees are the same.
    Trumpsky is working overtime to bring back that REALLY Old Time Religion - Baal worship
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Carnyx said:

LadyG said:

Carnyx said:

LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

I Vow To Thee My Country. A very singable hymn.
    A fine tune, but a tad depressing. An anthem should be rousing?

Whatever the merits of demerits of God Save the Queen or its alternatives, we should be happy that anything we choose to sing will always be infinitely better than, Lord help us, "Flower of Scotland"

OMFG lol
    As sung by upper class rugger buggers at Murrayfield ...

I quite agree. A man's a man for all that is the one to go for.
    It is possibly the worst anthem in the world. No offence.

Scotland has so many good tunes, and you ended up with THAT

The Proclaimers 500 miles would make a good modern anthem! Call and response, very stirring, excellent melody
    That's an interesting suggestion!

Scots wha hae is much better than FoS, if you want a stirring battle hymn, and if you want a Flodden lament there's The flooers o the forest are a wede awa, though that's more likely to be encountered at a funeral actually.
    It's quite common for nations to pick terrible dirgey anthems when they have brilliant tunes everyone knows

Advance Australia Fair is awful, yet Waltzing Mathilda, sung by 100,000 lusty Aussies can bring a stern man close to tears

That Irish anthem is shite, and yet when they sing Molly Malone, or the Fields of Athenry....
    The Londonderry Air is sublime. Is it tarnished by being unacceptable on one side of the religious divide? (And if so, which side; I really don't know.)
    One of the greatest tunes ever written. But too sad and yearning for an anthem?

It is possibly Gaelic in origin (no one knows for sure), but it comes from Ulster traditions, and the words are "Protestant" so it is quite unifying. Both sides can claim it
    The name "Londonderry" is completely unacceptable. So it would have to be referred to as the Derry Air, problematically.
  • Foxy said:

If anyone reminds me of this I'll say I was hacked.

It pains me to say this but the most rousing anthem out there is La Marseillaise.

Tis true.

Ode to Joy is pretty rousing too 😇
    Yes, but 'Wie ein Held zum Siegen' is a bit worrying.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,069
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

The Queen is our Head of State and anointed by God at her coronation and the royal anthem reflects that, however that does not prevent having an English national anthem as well
    "Anointed by God" 😂

If you want to pray to a God on Sundays or any other day then that's fine, do whatever you please. Don't shove it down the rest of our throats though.
    But she is literally anointed "by God". There is a special anointing oil used during the Coronation of an English Sovereign, a sacred and holy recipe dating back to Moses and Mesopotamia

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/2012/06/the_story_of_the_royal_anointi_1.html

I believe royal babies are also baptised with Jordan water. So take yer boring, colourless republican atheism and shove it

So, the Anglican God is *the* God, is it? Have you told the Catholics, Presbyterians, the Quakers, the Jews, the Muslims and the Sikhs yet?
    There is only 1 God if you belong to an Abrahamic religion, which includes all Christians, Muslims and Jews, just different methods of worshipping him. It is still the same God who revealed himself to Abraham that you worship
    No it isn't.

Yes it is, see the Tomb of Abraham in Hebron which is a sacred site for Christians, Muslims and Jews
    While there are certain common traditions and even some common theology, the reasons that there are 3 different Abrahamic religions* is because that there are fundamental and irreconcilable differences in how God is conceived.

* and umpteen different sects of each.
  • nico679 said:

The Pelosi commission is to make sure there are no issues in how the 25th amendment is discharged and has to be bi-partisan so won’t happen without GOP input . Not sure what the big deal is . People aren’t voting on Pelosi and given Trumps recent behaviour not sure the GOP screaming and shouting about this and highlighting this would do much good for them as it just focuses people on whether Trump is becoming even more unstable than normal !

How is a commission meant to make the 25th bipartisan?

The 25th is very detailed on its rules. The Veep and a majority of the Cabinet voting to invoke it won't be bipartisan, while the supermajority required in Congress if it comes to a vote almost certainly must be.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited October 2020
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Brothers all are we.

Change the national anthem to Bohemian Rhapsody, an anthem we all know and love.
    That would be an awesome anthem to be played while our athletes walked in at the Olympics.

Plus the first word of the Qur’an, Bismillah.
    Which is a fine word, but the context it is used in is a bit odd to say the least.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    edited October 2020

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Brothers all are we.

Yes!

As a line it sure beats "Send her victorious, Happy and glorious, Long to reign over us"

We could just rewrite the current one to fit contemporary religious views: "God save the NHS".
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    Looks like Scotland, Ireland and Northern Ireland ALL going to penalties??
  • If anyone reminds me of this I'll say I was hacked.

It pains me to say this but the most rousing anthem out there is La Marseillaise.

Would be in my top five, as would (sadly) Deutschland Ueber Alles.

Winner hands down though is Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau. I trust no one here needs a translation?
  • If anyone reminds me of this I'll say I was hacked.

Winner hands down though is Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau. I trust no one here needs a translation?
    I loved singing 'Land NOT quite of my fathers' at the Welsh when they were led by Graham Henry and most of the Welsh team were born in New Zealand.
  • kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Brothers all are we.

Yes!

“May she defend our laws
    And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice
    God save the Queen”
    Is a bit more conditional though. The second verse needs to be sung more.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

There is only 1 God if you belong to an Abrahamic religion, which includes all Christians, Muslims and Jews, just different methods of worshipping him. It is still the same God who revealed himself to Abraham that you worship
    No it isn't.

Yes it is, see the Tomb of Abraham in Hebron which is a sacred site for Christians, Muslims and Jews
    While there are certain common traditions and even some common theology, the reasons that there are 3 different Abrahamic religions* is because that there are fundamental and irreconcilable differences in how God is conceived.

That does not change the fact it is still the same God they worship
    The Scottish goalie has massive gloves!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

I loved singing 'Land NOT quite of my fathers' at the Welsh when they were led by Graham Henry and most of the Welsh team were born in New Zealand.
    What about the East German National Anthem from Top Secret?
  • BBC News - Coronavirus: Bars to shut in four more French cities with alert level raised
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-54465174
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

No it isn't.

It does.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,281
    edited October 2020

nico679 said:

The Pelosi commission is to make sure there are no issues in how the 25th amendment is discharged and has to be bi-partisan so won’t happen without GOP input . Not sure what the big deal is . People aren’t voting on Pelosi and given Trumps recent behaviour not sure the GOP screaming and shouting about this and highlighting this would do much good for them as it just focuses people on whether Trump is becoming even more unstable than normal !

The 25th is very detailed on its rules. The Veep and a majority of the Cabinet voting to invoke it won't be bipartisan, while the supermajority required in Congress if it comes to a vote almost certainly must be.
    Pence has apparently cancelled his Friday appointments and is flying back to Washington. He's not tested positive for Coronavirus according to his team.

https://eu.indystar.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/10/08/mike-pence-cancels-appearance-vote-friday-indy/5911905002/

Could Pence be about to invoke the 25th?
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    I have received a party email asking if I fancy being mayor of West Yorkshire.

Perhaps next time.
    Told you!
  • HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

No it isn't.

There’s the old story of the priest talking to a vicar: “we all worship God in different ways: you in yours and me in his”.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,851

Actually I’ve had a better idea on a new national anthem. Not Bohemian Rapsody (too long, no one normal can sing it) but anothe Queen staple: We Are The Champions.

Fat bottomed girls is my favourite Queen song. Wouldn't support it as our National Anthem though. Not appropriate. Not sure any of their songs are despite the name of the band.
    JFC they are just praying for a vaccine. What if we don't get one, for years, or forever?

Does every vulnerable person stay indoors and alone until they die of madness, anyway?

In the end we simply have to brave the virus, and take the risks
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    2nd day Mail has led on an anti-lockdown story. He's certainly losing that part of the dressing room.
  • It'd be funny to see how Scots would react if he flagged an English goal off for offside.
    Despite the shitey BBC feeling that we Jocks should enjoy the privilege of watching an England friendly rather than a Scottish qualifying match, I doubt many outside the ultra Yoons will be watching.
    Aren't you impressed with the offerings of BBC Scotland this evening ?

19:00 Island Medics
    19:30 Beechgrove
    20:00 Landward
    20:30 The Scandals That Shocked Scotland
    21:00 The Nine
    22:00 The Karen Dubar Show
    Shitey BBC covers all the bases. The Scotch branch is particularly poop themed.
  • 2nd day Mail has led on an anti-lockdown story. He's certainly losing that part of the dressing room.
    A few months ago they were all over the government for not going hard enough.

I think only the Torygraph has been on the anti-lockdown bandwagon from the beginning.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    alex_ said:

I notice that we're now running at tests >250k per day and a gap has re-opened between tests processed and capacity.

Haven't noticed anyone complaining recently that they can't get a test. Have the capacity issues been resolved for now or still ongoing?

I can't imagine the Roche issues will be helping.

Have been thinking the same myself.

FWIW I know half a dozen people who have had tests in the past few weeks, none had problems getting them and all received results within a day or so (all negative).

I wonder how much the testing problems were from parents wanting tests for their kids after they came back from school with a start of term cough.
    https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/testing

The reason for the problems in getting a test were quite simple. Demand suddenly rose to around 100% of capacity.
    In fact on 19th Sept and 26th September tests processed *exceeded* theoretical capacity.

Test capacity then increased to over 300k and the gap between capacity and demand opened up again. It is entirely unsurprising that with excess capacity in the system again, that problems getting a test have apparently subsided.
    Certainly supply and demand are the two determinants.

But I wonder if the demand for tests on school pupils was higher in September than it is now.

Like for many things the data isn't available.
    Stories about schools sending whole years home do seem to have gone quiet. Whether that just means the media have lost interest or not can't tell.

I wouldn't be surprised if we look back on the last couple of weeks in a month and realise that everyone's got massively spooked by universities and the numbers drop dramatically again.
    I don't think the steady rise in hospitalisations and deaths since early September is due to people being spooked by the university numbers.
  • https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/1314309884054253568

Currently rising by about a million a day.
    LadyG said:

JFC they are just praying for a vaccine. What if we don't get one, for years, or forever?

Does every vulnerable person stay indoors and alone until they die of madness, anyway?

Yep, the strategy is entirely dependent now on a vaccine arriving in the new year. Some will say what choice is there. Others will say we have to learn to live with it and work as if there is no vaccine (Swedish view).

Massive policy decision.

Where is the debate in the House of Commons?
  • kinabalu said:

Fat bottomed girls is my favourite Queen song. Wouldn't support it as our National Anthem though. Not appropriate. Not sure any of their songs are despite the name of the band.
    Well, there is always https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WNkNo3WspDw
  • nico679 said:

Pence has apparently cancelled his Friday appointments and is flying back to Washington. He's not tested positive for Coronavirus according to his team.

https://eu.indystar.com/story/news/politics/elections/2020/10/08/mike-pence-cancels-appearance-vote-friday-indy/5911905002/

He probably should.

But not a chance he would this close to the election.
    LadyG said:

No, there are many ways we can reduce our risks while still enjoying life.

Vulnerable people obviously would mostly take more precautions, and less vulnerable people need to ensure that while exercising their own freedoms, they do not impinge on others. After all, the fundamental thing about good manners is not making other people feel uncomfortable.

• eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    GIN1138 said:

According to the Guardian:

"House speaker Nancy Pelosi and representative Jamie Raskin, a Democrat from Maryland, are tomorrow morning introducing a bill to create a commission to evaluate the president’s fitness for office under the 25th amendment."

Why now? Seems like terrible timing to me. Biden should have a quiet word with Pelosi.

It certainly doesn't look like a move from a Party that's confident their man is going to be President in under one month's time.

Are the Democrats sniffing yet another polling disaster incoming... ;)
    One thing is absolutely sure. In one month's time Biden will not be president. Hopefully he will be in 3 months 12 days though.
    Scotland through to the Euro playoff final
    LadyG said:

What part of bonkers is the idea in government that you can rerun the harrying of the North from next week but still trumpet allowing half-term holiday breaks in Greek islands.

• 2nd day Mail has led on an anti-lockdown story. He's certainly losing that part of the dressing room.

I think only the Torygraph has been on the anti-lockdown bandwagon from the beginning.
    In a few weeks the Mail might shamelessly be back on the "didn't lock down soon enough" bandwagon.

Any excuse to be angry, that is the Mail's demographic.
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

No it isn't.

It does.
    It does not
    Scots loving lockdown.

Belgrade with no fans is better than Belgrade with 53,000 flare-shooting ultras.

It'd be funny to see how Scots would react if he flagged an English goal off for offside.
    Despite the shitey BBC feeling that we Jocks should enjoy the privilege of watching an England friendly rather than a Scottish qualifying match, I doubt many outside the ultra Yoons will be watching.

The Beechgrove Garden is well appreciated here.

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2020
    LadyG said:

What if we do get one in a month's time?

It seems mad to go through all we've gone through, be in the final stages of vaccine trials - only to then let it rip just weeks before the vaccine trials are scheduled to end.

If we were going to let it just go naturally, we should have made that decision back in February/March when Eadric, Bryonic and co were shitting the bed.

I suspect they know a vaccine is coming soon.
    God I just saw the Royal Ballet rehearsing for an actual show on BBC Ten (highly restricted performance, their first since March) and I nearly burst into tears.

You only realise what you've lost, perhaps, when it returns, however tentatively. And I can't abide ballet
  • nico679 said:

He probably should.

It would be utterly insane, but it is 2020 we're living in.

And why not? If Trump runs, he loses bigly. Ditch Trump, and who knows?
  • HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

No it isn't.

It does.
    It does not
    It does.

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

No it isn't.

It does.
    It does not
    It does.
    It does not
  • LadyG said:

It seems mad to go through all we've gone through, be in the final stages of vaccine trials - only to then let it rip just weeks before the vaccine trials are scheduled to end.

If we were going to let it just go naturally, we should have made that decision back in February/March when Eadric, Bryonic and co were shitting the bed.

The terminally stupid don't realise if we go for a 'let it rip' strategy is that the country will go into a de facto lockdown as they don't want to catch it, it is kinda what happened in Sweden.

nico679 said:

He probably should.

I was being a bit mischievous but...

If Trump goes down in flames, as things stand Pence crashes with him. Maybe his (Pence's) long terms prospect would be better served by invoking the 25th now, citing Covid.
  • eristdoof said:

GIN1138 said:

"House speaker Nancy Pelosi and representative Jamie Raskin, a Democrat from Maryland, are tomorrow morning introducing a bill to create a commission to evaluate the president’s fitness for office under the 25th amendment."

Why now? Seems like terrible timing to me. Biden should have a quiet word with Pelosi.

It certainly doesn't look like a move from a Party that's confident their man is going to be President in under one month's time.

Are the Democrats sniffing yet another polling disaster incoming... ;)
    One thing is absolutely sure. In one month's time Biden will not be president. Hopefully he will be in 3 months 12 days though.
    Trump is going off the deep end fast. Pence might decide enough is enough if they lose, invoke the 25th. Then he could retire, Pelosi becomes President, appoints Biden as Veep, then Pelosi steps down.

Not saying it will happen, but a fun thought.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

I have received a party email asking if I fancy being mayor of West Yorkshire.

Perhaps next time.

You'd be great. You'd appear a couple of times a day with a pithy one liner then bugger off back into lockdown.
    Thus achieving more than any other UK politician at the moment.

LadyG said:

Remember the LadyG Covid rule:

Imagine your reasonable worst case scenario, because that is what will happen

So far, quite effective.

There won't be a vaccine until well into 2021, and it will come with many problems with resistance and manufacture: is my guess. I hope I am wrong.

Deep intellectual debate between @HYUFD and @Philip_Thompson going on at the moment. (!)
  • HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

No it isn't.

It does.
    It does not
    It does.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

No it isn't.

It does.
    It does not
    It does.
    It does not
    This is not a question which can be decided either way by rational debate I fear.

LadyG said:

It is. June next year. Great news. But not a silver bullet. A tool in the box. A big tool yes. A powerful tool. But not a silver bullet.
    LadyG said:

God I just saw the Royal Ballet rehearsing for an actual show on BBC Ten (highly restricted performance, their first since March) and I nearly burst into tears.

You only realise what you've lost, perhaps, when it returns, however tentatively. And I can't abide ballet

BBC Ten! We struggle to get BBC Four down in Dorset :wink:
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

No it isn't.

It does.
    “My perception of our God is exactly right and your perception of our God is completely wrong”

?
  • LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

There won't be a vaccine until well into 2021, and it will come with many problems with resistance and manufacture: is my guess. I hope I am wrong.

Distribution is the most overlooked aspect, especially the Oxford one as it has to be at -70c the whole time.
  • HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

No it isn't.

It does.
    It does not
    It does.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

No it isn't.

It does.
    It does not
    It does.
    It does not
    This is not a question which can be decided either way by rational debate I fear.
    It's a bit History Today.
  • nico679 said:

He probably should.

They've caught the fly and nobody but him is allowed to exterminate it.

LadyG said:

The terminally stupid don't realise if we go for a 'let it rip' strategy is that the country will go into a de facto lockdown as they don't want to catch it, it is kinda what happened in Sweden.
    Well, exactly, And Sweden's GDP is expected to decline by 3-4% this year.

Unlike the 5-10% or more in UK, France, Italy, Spain. And the accompanying debt, deficit, unemployment, illness, education issues, etc etc etc

There is almost no doubt now. A medium touch voluntary CONSISTENT keep-the-schools open policy was the way to go, from the start. The Swedes were right.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/10/06/swedish-economy-dodges-covid-bullet-says-danske-bank/
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

The only viable vaccine will be the Chinese one. In 2022.

• LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

Distribution is the most overlooked aspect, especially the Oxford one as it has to be at -70c the whole time.
    I have faith in Matt Hancock and Dido Harding to sort it out, ah yes, I see the cause for concern.
  • HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

No it isn't.

It does.
    It does not
    It does.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

No it isn't.

It does.
    It does not
    It does.
    It does not
    It's a bit History Today.
    Fun though. I was wondering how long it could go on for.
  • LadyG said:

Some would and some wouldn't.

A 90% asymptomatic rate isn't going to worry many of the young.
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

Also, it may well be not be 100% effective: might reduce symptoms for example rather than stop someone developing any at all. The ill and frail may still succumb. We just don't know at this point.

2nd day Mail has led on an anti-lockdown story. He's certainly losing that part of the dressing room.

In a few weeks the Mail might shamelessly be back on the "didn't lock down soon enough" bandwagon.

But as I pointed out earlier, they thought PM Johnson rose to the occasion with his speech to digital conference on Tuesday whereas you didn't.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,774
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

There is a vaccine now, in China, from a reputable pharmaceutical firm - China National Biotec. They have what is effectively an open Phase 3 trial. And lots of people, particularly the urban wealthy, are already paying to get it.

How effective it is, we don't know. But there will be millions of people vaccinated with it by the end of the year.
  • kinabalu said:

LadyG said:

It is. June next year. Great news. But not a silver bullet. A tool in the box. A big tool yes. A powerful tool. But not a silver bullet.
    June next year for it to be fully rolled out I thought.

A lot of reports that it could be started to be rolled out to frontline care workers and residents (the most vulnerable demographic) before Christmas, then the vulnerable over 65s and so on in the New Year.

Once the most vulnerable are vaccinated it will matter less if others haven't been yet.
    geoffw said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

Highly possible. Cementing Chinese supremacy and the decline of the West, especially America. This would be my narrative twist if I were scripting Covid The Movie

kinabalu said:

Well, there is always https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WNkNo3WspDw
    Ah well I hadn't heard that one. Yes let's go with that. It's perfect.
  • kinabalu said:

But as I pointed out earlier, they thought PM Johnson rose to the occasion with his speech to digital conference on Tuesday whereas you didn't.
    I said he did. You asked if it was one of his greatest and I said the occasion didn't call for one of his greatest.

He's at his greatest with barnstorming optimism and that would have been highly inappropriate at this occasion. So he rose to this occasion instead.
    edited October 2020
    LadyG said:

geoffw said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

Highly possible. Cementing Chinese supremacy and the decline of the West, especially America. This would be my narrative twist if I were scripting Covid The Movie
    In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they already have it. Look at their stats! And they sequenced the RNA in a jiffy back in February.

p.s. confirmed by rcs100 I see.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    nico679 said:

The commission looking into the 25th amendment doesn’t name Trump . Pelosi’s argument is basically given recent events there needs to be more clarity on this for the future .

Ah. Top quality trolling. I see.
    LadyG said:

geoffw said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

Why would you trust a Chinese vaccine given it was China who allowed the virus to spread in the first place?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772

So why is Exeter university a centre of infection and not Bath university or Brighton (Sussex) or Guildford (Surrey) or Canterbury (Kent) ?

Likewise Nottingham but not Leicester and so on.

Is it simply because some universities have widespread testing and others don't ?

It's growing rapidly at Bath. Number of cases each day since the start of October: 5, 5, 5, 7, 7, 18, 33

Could be differences in start of term dates. Could be random chance. Could relate to how well/badly they university is encouraging students to follow advice. Design of accommodation. Quantity of face-to-face teaching.

I'm sure there's a lot of good epidemiology to be done working it out.
  • rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

There is a vaccine now, in China, from a reputable pharmaceutical firm - China National Biotec. They have what is effectively an open Phase 3 trial. And lots of people, particularly the urban wealthy, are already paying to get it.

How effective it is, we don't know. But there will be millions of people vaccinated with it by the end of the year.
    You are forgetting about the Russian one....
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    edited October 2020
    geoffw said:

It'd be funny to see how Scots would react if he flagged an English goal off for offside.

The Beechgrove Garden is well appreciated here.

Fair enough, I'll put that in 'the not my cup of tea' column rather than the jobby one (and I'll except a good deal of BBC radio).
    Actually I think that’s the right answer from Biden

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

Are you sure? I thought the Oxford vaccine was one that only needed the same levels of refrigeration as flu vaccines.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-19-vaccine-race-turns-deep-freezers-into-a-hot-commodity-11599217201
    geoffw said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

Want to bet?

I bet that the UK government will have started a mass vaccination programme by the end of next April, with a non-Chinese vaccine.

£20?
    LadyG said:

LadyG said:

Well, exactly, And Sweden's GDP is expected to decline by 3-4% this year.

Unlike the 5-10% or more in UK, France, Italy, Spain. And the accompanying debt, deficit, unemployment, illness, education issues, etc etc etc

There is almost no doubt now. A medium touch voluntary CONSISTENT keep-the-schools open policy was the way to go, from the start. The Swedes were right.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/10/06/swedish-economy-dodges-covid-bullet-says-danske-bank/
    It is worth noting that Goldman Sachs recently downgraded Sweden's growth number to more like -6% for the year, so you are slightly cherry picking.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,088
    kinabalu said:

Foxy said:

Tis true.

Ode to Joy is pretty rousing too 😇
    I'm afraid I quite like the German one.
    The DDR one was better by far.

LadyG said:

Some would and some wouldn't.

A 90% asymptomatic rate isn't going to worry many of the young.
    A lot of them don't want dead grandparents though.
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

Want to bet?

I bet that the UK government will have started a mass vaccination programme by the end of next April, with a non-Chinese vaccine.

£20?
    Hey, I should have added an emoji, but thought that would be too blatant.

geoffw said:

LadyG said:

geoffw said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised if they already have it. Look at their stats! And they sequenced the RNA in a jiffy back in February.

I've long had this theory, and I have espoused it on here.

The Chinese discovered this new bat coronavirus, in that famous Wuhan lab, and realised its bioweapon potential pretty soon: the way it would attack western economies and their crucial liberties, while barely touching Asian societies with high conformity and surveillance.

They kept it in reserve. The idea was to threaten it - or even release it - when America was about to throw nukes over Taiwan. But the Chinese plan was only to release it when China already had a vaccine, a vaccine they could then swiftly offer to the world, thereby being seen as a saviour, while fucking the West and America, economically.

The virus escaped by accident too early, maybe it leaked at that market, via a bat in a stew. So the Chinese have had to accelerate the plan and develop a virus very very fast.

I believe this is quite plausible.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,026

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

Part of our Head of State's coronation oath as Head of the Church of England as well as Head of State is to 'maintaine the Laws of God the true profession of the Gospell and the Protestant reformed religion established by law', the monarch is also crowned and anointed by the Archbishop of Canterbury
    But she doesn't maintain the laws of God.

Otherwise she would have punished her fornicating and adulterous eldest son, the son that is likely to succeed her.
    Absolutely which is yet another reason its long past time to get rid of these religious fripperies.

If LadyG and HYUFD want to believe in religious babble then I have no qualms with them going to whatever Temple, Church, Mosque or whatever else floats their boat any day they want to. Just don't expect everyone else to share your fantasies.
    Well, tough shit, because the chances of changing the national anthem are about 0.3%, or less, and if we did it would likely be replaced by Jerusalem, which is even more religious. And, of course, the chances of us becoming a republic are significantly lower
    The chances of becoming a republic in HMQs liftetime is 0%
    The chances of becoming a republic in my lifetime is much higher than that.

But the post you replied to spoke about religion not the monarchy, though I can see why you'd mix up those two medieval absurdities. Disestablishment of the Church in my lifetime, removing the Bishops from Parliament etc in my lifetime I expect to be well, well over 50%.

Your religion is medieval bollocks and not shared by everyone in this country. Get over it. Pray in your Churches but leave the rest of us out of it.

A religion is like a penis, it is fine to have one, it is fine to be proud of it, but please don't wave it about in public and please don't shove it uninvited down the throat of others.
    Let me get this straight: @LadyG is shoving her penis uninvited down your throat?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Alistair said:

That's fucking insane. What are they doing?
    Perhaps... They can do this now, when Democrats will see it being aimed at Trump, but then they can use it to choose when Biden steps down.

So a power-play by Congress to assert power over the President, and manage the transition from old Biden to Harris (or someone else, if they decide to use leverage over timing to give them control of identity).

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

You are forgetting about the Russian one....
    So are most Russians apparently...

https://www.timesnownews.com/health/article/1-in-2-russian-doctors-say-they-wont-get-vaccinated-as-moscow-gets-ready-to-roll-out-covid-19-vaccine-poll/638043

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

So far, quite effective.

Just give it to the most vulnerable first, whatever it takes. And make healthy under 50s realise they are going to be at the back of the queue.

I don’t see any other option given the distribution of it is so tricky.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,026
    Part of me wonders if the two brothers are having it out through a woke-off.

Harry doing anti-racism. William doing climate change.

William winning on class and points, so far.
This discussion has been closed.