Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Ipsos MORI Politics + Society podcast. US election special. Can Trump turn it around? – politicalbet

Comments

• MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    stodge said:

I think what these articles are showing is that when a race isn't close, there's a vast conspiracy to pretend it is. The winning side are scared of complacency, the losing side are scared of looking hapless, and the media really, really want a nail-biter.

There are always some data points pointing in the other direction (Latinos!) so everybody plays up those.

Indeed - we saw the same in the UK before 1997 - nobody could quite believe Blair would win a landslide (including Blair himself) so anything which even gave a hint it might not be plain sailing was magnified.

It may be @MrEd will make us all look stupid in a month and I don't currently buy into the notion of a Biden landslide - Trump's base is absolutely committed to him but a lot of Biden's base, while not committed to Biden, is committed to voting against Trump.

The white male vote has swung 7% from the Republicans to the Democrats since 2016 - that's the key element in all the polling.

That's my big concern namely I'm the idiot and completely wrong. Maybe I should stop be a recusant and embrace the faith :)
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Jesus this is a shit football match

Can we please also finally change the English national anthem to Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem? It is ridiculous and in my view disrespectful to Wales to have God Save the Queen as our anthem when she is their Queen too and the same goes for when England plays Scotland or Northern Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or Canada.

Just play God Save the Queen when a royal is in attendance at an England game alongside the English anthem or for Team GB at the Olympics
    How about we sing a national anthem that is about the country and not asking a sky fairy to save a wealthy individual "born to rule over us"?
    The Queen is our Head of State and anointed by God at her coronation and the royal anthem reflects that, however that does not prevent having an English national anthem as well
    "Anointed by God" 😂

We're a country with people and voters, not a theocracy.

If you want to pray to a God on Sundays or any other day then that's fine, do whatever you please. Don't shove it down the rest of our throats though.
  • LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    HYUFD said:

Bernie pushing for higher taxes on the rich as part of the Democratic platform and a higher minimum wage

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1314288758158774274?s=20

Those are quite amazing stats. The total wealth of US billionaires is about 30% more than the entire GDP of the UK
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,123
    HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Can we please also finally change the English national anthem to Land of Hope and Glory or Jerusalem? It is ridiculous and in my view disrespectful to Wales to have God Save the Queen as our anthem when she is their Queen too and the same goes for when England plays Scotland or Northern Ireland, Australia, New Zealand or Canada.

Just play God Save the Queen when a royal is in attendance at an England game alongside the English anthem or for Team GB at the Olympics
    No, you can't do that at the Olympics.GSTQ is - strictly - a UK national anthem. And the UK does not send a team to the Olympics, as the rather obnoxiously cute name Team GB shows.

Which yet again shows the confusion, wilful, convenient, thoughtless, and/or otherwise, between England, Britain and the UK so prevalent.
    MrEd said:

stodge said:

I think what these articles are showing is that when a race isn't close, there's a vast conspiracy to pretend it is. The winning side are scared of complacency, the losing side are scared of looking hapless, and the media really, really want a nail-biter.

There are always some data points pointing in the other direction (Latinos!) so everybody plays up those.

Indeed - we saw the same in the UK before 1997 - nobody could quite believe Blair would win a landslide (including Blair himself) so anything which even gave a hint it might not be plain sailing was magnified.

It may be @MrEd will make us all look stupid in a month and I don't currently buy into the notion of a Biden landslide - Trump's base is absolutely committed to him but a lot of Biden's base, while not committed to Biden, is committed to voting against Trump.

The white male vote has swung 7% from the Republicans to the Democrats since 2016 - that's the key element in all the polling.

That's my big concern namely I'm the idiot and completely wrong. Maybe I should stop be a recusant and embrace the faith :)
    PS I posted this to @OllyT earlier. I am slightly sceptical of their argument for the sake of debate:

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/356409/earned-media-distractions-may-count-more-in-polit.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline&utm_campaign=120036&hashid=E-AbuZ-ZSu94W2xYgDxxDW5oWV4

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

How about we sing a national anthem that is about the country and not asking a sky fairy to save a wealthy individual "born to rule over us"?
    The Queen is our Head of State and anointed by God at her coronation and the royal anthem reflects that, however that does not prevent having an English national anthem as well
    "Anointed by God" 😂

If you want to pray to a God on Sundays or any other day then that's fine, do whatever you please. Don't shove it down the rest of our throats though.
    I'm beginning to think HYUFD believes in Divine Right, after what he said the other day - though he is still confusing the modern English Tory Party with the Stuart monarchy.
  • HYUFD said:

Bernie pushing for higher taxes on the rich as part of the Democratic platform and a higher minimum wage

Who was President and Vice President from 2009 to 2016? Why didn't they do anything about it during that period?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,038
    Oh FFS.

This piece by several scientists alleges that anyone who goes into hospital who tests positive is now being counted as hospitalised with covid!!!

So, the numbers showing an uptick in hospitalisation which are being waved around as proof that it is not a massive false positive case load we are seeing (thanks to 100,000s of tests) but genuine covid are basically wrong.

https://lockdownsceptics.org/counting-covid-19-cases-is-misleading-everybody/

Incidently they note on the PCR test:

It might be shocking to find that research on lab grown ‘live’ cultures of the virus, taken from patients, had not been published until early August – eight months after the virus outbreak. These have been used to assess the accuracy of PCR and the results are not good. It has been shown it is possible to return a positive PCR test where a sample taken from the same patient never grows a viral culture – meaning the patient does not have an active COVID-19 infection despite the positive PCR test . The implications of this for the false positive rate of PCR tests are obvious and significant.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,265
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

No, you can't do that at the Olympics.GSTQ is - strictly - a UK national anthem. And the UK does not send a team to the Olympics, as the rather obnoxiously cute name Team GB shows.

Which yet again shows the confusion, wilful, convenient, thoughtless, and/or otherwise, between England, Britain and the UK so prevalent.
    I have often wondered why it;s Team GB. In what respect does Team GB not cover the full UK population?

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

I have often wondered why it;s Team GB. In what respect does Team GB not cover the full UK population?
    The Irish have their own team, including NI.
  • The government are still fannying about.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1314291221582565377
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Trump probably has a 15% chance now. 20% at best.

So the odds available on Biden are still crazy.

Yes it's odd. Trump should be 6 or 7 and he's 3. Something irrational is supporting the price. Could it be the fear amongst many that he and he alone stands between us and domination by an elite cabal of wealthy liberal child molesters? Because that might not show up in the polls. Not even Rasmussen.
    The biggest mistake I have ever made betting wise was with believing Theresa May would win a thumping majority in 2017 because of what the polls were saying. Not all of them, we have debated this before, but a lot of them. What I should have been paying more attention is the mood around me which suggested people were getting tired of May and especially her refusal to turn up for the debate.

I think this is what it feels like here. The polls are saying Biden should be a shoo-in but it doesn't feel like that on the ground. There does not feel like a popular uprising for Biden / Harris and, quite frankly, outside the Coasts and on Twitter, not much up of an uprising against DT
    Hang on: the opinion polls showed a dramatically tightening race

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_2017_United_Kingdom_general_election

The Labour Party went from 25% in the polls at the start of the campaign to close to 40% by the end.

That being said, this is also a reminder of how quickly things can change. That was 15 points in 32 days.
    I would like to go on record as saying I am still expecting a Trump surge and to close to about 4 points by election day.
    Actually I’ll take that as a charity bet with you @Alistair just for fun. £20 at even money? You get Biden +4pts or lower on 3 Nov, I get 4pts or more. My charity is Amnesty International. You get to nominate where my money goes if you win.

Let me know sir.
    I said about, I used weasel words for a reason! Given current polls I felt gave myself plenty of wiggle room to claim victory even he was still trailing by 6 ;)

Ooh, also I realise as I was about to agree I was talking about the polling not the actual result.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,598

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Quite right. Jerusalem probably fits the bill? Haven’t double checked every lyric!
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

GQST remains the Royal Anthem in most, if not all, of the Commonwealth realms, the British overseas territories and the Australian states and Canadian provinces, played when Brenda herself visits, or the local Governor-General, Governor or Lt-Governor is acting on her behalf.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

Part of our Head of State's coronation oath as Head of the Church of England as well as Head of State is to 'maintaine the Laws of God the true profession of the Gospell and the Protestant reformed religion established by law', the monarch is also crowned and anointed by the Archbishop of Canterbury

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

But she is literally anointed "by God". There is a special anointing oil used during the Coronation of an English Sovereign, a sacred and holy recipe dating back to Moses and Mesopotamia

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/2012/06/the_story_of_the_royal_anointi_1.html

I believe royal babies are also baptised with Jordan water. So take yer boring, colourless republican atheism and shove it

• CiceroCicero Posts: 2,179

MrEd said:

What makes me believe in these big Biden leads is when they come packaged with a number showing the non-Trump Republican incumbent doing OK, that shows you the sampling/weighting is legit:

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1314281182595551232?s=19

Those numbers aren't bad for Trump if you factor in the secular shift to the Democrats in Texas.
    I'm increasingly thinking Iowa will be a Democratic pick up in the Senate and maybe the Presidential election. looking more like Montana though is safe for the GOP (Daines is +9)
    Daines was indeed +9 in the latest poll, but the previous one had Bullock +1.

That said 538 does reckon it’s likely to stay GOP.
    If its anything like, then we are entering Trumpedammerung and the GOP is also going down in flames.

The Trump campaign has been in meltdown since the debate and the swings in key core demographics are sending the GOP deon with him.

If that is what happens, then it will be richly deserved. This shitshow needs to close now.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,847
    stodge said:

I won big on Blair 97. I started spread betting in 96 and my 1st ever bet was a terrible one. I bought Gina G on the Eurovision Song Contest 100 index - loved her, loved the song, still do - and she bombed, came nowhere, I lost quite a chastening sum. I think it was £25. But the Labour landslide the following year made up for it and more. I recall buying Lab seat supremacy at something utterly ridiculous like 35 for £10 a seat. I was working in the City at the time. Nobody around me believed the polls. Most people thought it would be close and the Tories would probably sneak it. A totally irrational view from people who prided themselves on rationality. Such people are the biggest fools of all. Spot that and go against it and you will prosper mightily. These are the times when you can clean up. We have one here in WH2020.
  • HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

Part of our Head of State's coronation oath as Head of the Church of England as well as Head of State is to 'maintaine the Laws of God the true profession of the Gospell and the Protestant reformed religion established by law', the monarch is also crowned and anointed by the Archbishop of Canterbury
    But she doesn't maintain the laws of God.

Otherwise she would have punished her fornicating and adulterous eldest son, the son that is likely to succeed her.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

It does as Northern Ireland athletes compete as part of the UK Olympic team, Team GB is not the official name, just a brand name for the official name of the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic team
    edited October 2020
    rpjs said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

GQST remains the Royal Anthem in most, if not all, of the Commonwealth realms, the British overseas territories and the Australian states and Canadian provinces, played when Brenda herself visits, or the local Governor-General, Governor or Lt-Governor is acting on her behalf.
    Fair enough at that state-wide level - it's not as if it was Manitoba, say, claiming it when playing in within-Canada ice hockey leagues.
  • HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Quite right. Jerusalem probably fits the bill? Haven’t double checked every lyric!
    Still a bit religious, as is Land of Hope and Glory, but not enough to bother me. I'd be happy with either but prefer the latter.

Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory are both what an anthem should be - about what you want your country to be. Not sycophantically pandering to an individual.
    The piece on lockdownsceptics doesn't mention this, but it raises another issue: how many people in ICU who we are being told are there because of covid are actually just testing positive (maybe even asymptomatically or fasle positive) but are actually very ill with something else e.g. seasonal flu breathing difficulties etc?

I have no idea, but we need an answer.
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

You do think that Henry VIII is a good role model, don't you?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    MrEd said:

First, you are not an idiot. There is a counter-view to the prevailing notion Biden will win and straws which may suggest it's not going to be the cakewalk for the challenger some think.

My view remains there is a solid bloc in the US electorate which supports Trump - unfortunately there is a slightly larger bloc which is determined to vote him out. It's a polarised electorate in extremis.

I did note last evening the 19% Undecided among Hispanics in the YouGov poll for the Economist so your contention Trump has a chance among Hispanics isn't invalid. My point is while that may matter in some counties, the big move has been among white voters who still form 2/3 or more of the electorate.

I've moved Texas from TCTC back to Red tonight - I just can't see Biden winning it though he could to within 5 points of Trump.

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Jerusalem is, of course, a poem about the fabled landing of Jesus Christ, as a boy, in a Cornish cove, with his uncle, Joseph of Arimathea.

I've actually been to the cove in question. In Place, on the Roseland Peninsula, in Cornwall. It is a genuinely haunted and spectral location.

Go there for a walk around the headland, check out the Jesus beach, and then have Helford oysters afterwards on the terrace of the Idle Rocks Hotel in nearby St Mawes. A perfect day
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

I have never understood why we play as ‘Team GB’ at the Olympics but each home nation has its own team at almost every other major sport.
    edited October 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

Otherwise she would have punished her fornicating and adulterous eldest son, the son that is likely to succeed her.
    She would be spanking Boris almost every week if she had to do that, as far as I know Charles only committed adultery with Camilla and has not cheated on her now he is married to her.

Now cheating on one of the most glamorous women in the world was clearly not a good example but Charles has learned his lesson and stayed faithful to his much plainer second wife (which also goes to show that personality more than looks is the key to a successful marriage)
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

Absolutely which is yet another reason its long past time to get rid of these religious fripperies.

If LadyG and HYUFD want to believe in religious babble then I have no qualms with them going to whatever Temple, Church, Mosque or whatever else floats their boat any day they want to. Just don't expect everyone else to share your fantasies.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 14,772
    Pro_Rata said:

My final call forvthis, before it is too late to enact.

The UK should remain at BST this winter.

Sure, why not, the final triumph for making gestures instead of engaging with reality.
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

It does as Northern Ireland athletes compete as part of the UK Olympic team, Team GB is not the official name, just a brand name for the official name of the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic team
    You are forgetting two things -

1. NI folk have dual nationality, despite UK Gmt attemp to suppress iut
    2. How dare they even use the term GB - above all in NI where the word 'British' is so tendentious - when the UK is meant?
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

She would be spanking Boris almost every week if she had to do that, as far as I know Charles only committed adultery with Camilla and has not cheated on her now he is married to her.

Now cheating on one of the most glamorous women in the world was clearly not a good example but Charles has learned his lesson and stayed faithful to his much plainer second wife (which also goes to show that personality more than looks is the key to a successful marriage)
    Diana was never that beautiful. Nice looking posh totty, no more than that. It was her aura of royal tragedy - so sadly fulfilled - that made her charismatic
  • LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Jerusalem is, of course, a poem about the fabled landing of Jesus Christ, as a boy, in a Cornish cove, with his uncle, Joseph of Arimathea.

I've actually been to the cove in question. In Place, on the Roseland Peninsula, in Cornwall. It is a genuinely haunted and spectral location.

Go there for a walk around the headland, check out the Jesus beach, and then have Helford oysters afterwards on the terrace of the Idle Rocks Hotel in nearby St Mawes. A perfect day
    Jerusalem is a dirge, only people with teeny weeny penises like singing it.
    LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

Those are quite amazing stats. The total wealth of US billionaires is about 30% more than the entire GDP of the UK

The total wealth of the UK is over 5 times our GDP.

The total National Debt is now roughly = GDP.

Ergo, as a nation we could easily pay off the national debt any time we liked. :-)
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

What happens when you get a strange cove in a strange cove?

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

I have never understood why we play as ‘Team GB’ at the Olympics but each home nation has its own team at almost every other major sport.
    As our sovereign country is the UK and the Olympics only recognises sovereign countries I believe, though they compete separately at the Commonwealth games
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited October 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

So she's a hypocrite, how do we vote this hypocrite out of office, you're all about taking back control from our unelected rulers.

If the Queen is as popular as you say she should put herself up regular re-election, she'll walk it right, what's she afraid of?

I'm sure her Nazi past won't be brought up.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

Absolutely which is yet another reason its long past time to get rid of these religious fripperies.

If LadyG and HYUFD want to believe in religious babble then I have no qualms with them going to whatever Temple, Church, Mosque or whatever else floats their boat any day they want to. Just don't expect everyone else to share your fantasies.
    Well, tough shit, because the chances of changing the national anthem are about 0.3%, or less, and if we did it would likely be replaced by Jerusalem, which is even more religious. And, of course, the chances of us becoming a republic are significantly lower
    stodge said:

MrEd said:

First, you are not an idiot. There is a counter-view to the prevailing notion Biden will win and straws which may suggest it's not going to be the cakewalk for the challenger some think.

My view remains there is a solid bloc in the US electorate which supports Trump - unfortunately there is a slightly larger bloc which is determined to vote him out. It's a polarised electorate in extremis.

I did note last evening the 19% Undecided among Hispanics in the YouGov poll for the Economist so your contention Trump has a chance among Hispanics isn't invalid. My point is while that may matter in some counties, the big move has been among white voters who still form 2/3 or more of the electorate.

I've moved Texas from TCTC back to Red tonight - I just can't see Biden winning it though he could to within 5 points of Trump.
    Thank you Stodge, that is very kind. I agree on Texas although I don't think Biden will be that close.

Big risks for me for Biden

(1) Hispanic vote doesn't come out with a good chunk moving to Trump;
    (2) Black vote stays at home, even lower than 2016 and with a small but meaningful chunk to Trump;
    (3) As @Topping said previously, voters deciding to keep the Devil they know and decide that Trump / Pence is the best way to ensure they are kept fed.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2020
    MaxPB said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/54470366

Good on Lewis. The new track is a terrible idea, cutting down rainforest to built a motor racing circuit is a such a horrible idea.

I struggle to take Lewis seriously on eco issues, a man who take every opportunity to fly all over the world on private jets to any event that takes his fancy that week and has 27 cars (or however many he has) many of which are absolute gas guzzlers.

As a rich successful individual I have no issue with him deciding to take every opportunity to experience the best that life has to offer, but you can't then be outraged about all this eco unfriendly stuff.
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

No, the UK Olympic team is GB and NI, NI only plays with Ireland at rugby and when it also plays with GB as the British Lions and at cricket
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Andy_JS said:

Pro_Rata said:

My final call forvthis, before it is too late to enact.

The UK should remain at BST this winter.

We should stick on BST every year.
    Shame the UK left the EU then, as they're abolishing the clock change.
  • The piece on lockdownsceptics doesn't mention this, but it raises another issue: how many people in ICU who we are being told are there because of covid are actually just testing positive (maybe even asymptomatically or fasle positive) but are actually very ill with something else e.g. seasonal flu breathing difficulties etc?

Seems to be straw clutching.

It is unlikely to be a major proportion because if it was then it shouldn't be escalating dramatically as the non-COVID ICU patients should be a relatively stable number.

Quoting Malmesbury's image from earlier, why would it be rising like this if it was a coincidence and they actually had something else? I know its a hospitalisation chart not an ICU chart but I believe ICU chart follows the same pattern.

• MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

Thank you Stodge, that is very kind. I agree on Texas although I don't think Biden will be that close.

(2) Black vote stays at home, even lower than 2016 and with a small but meaningful chunk to Trump;
    (3) As @Topping said previously, voters deciding to keep the Devil they know and decide that Trump / Pence is the best way to ensure they are kept fed.
    There's a very fine line between being an idiot and being a visionary.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Look who's on the line at Wembley this evening

https://twitter.com/weegavski76/status/1314286763372957696

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Given that Muslims are forbidden to enjoy music, and therefore have no understanding of it, I don't see the relevance of your opinion in this case. You may as well ask me about celibacy
  • HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

No, the UK Olympic team is GB and NI, NI only plays with Ireland at rugby and when it also plays with GB as the British Lions and at cricket
    Actually it doesn't play cricket with GB, it plays cricket with England & Wales, Scotland have their own cricket team that plays at international level.
  • MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I've been thinking about the whole thing around the second debate and what happens now. At first, I was with @Peter_the_Punter's view that it was a daft move by Donald but I gradually moved into the camp that it actually made sense, especially if he is still sick but even if he is not - Trump is a physical presence, he relies on physical gestures and - if memory serves me right, the taller of every Presidential candidate has always won at least in the modern era - he's an inch plus taller than Biden. I think it is this rather than whether he is cut off or not (that would be a massive editorial call on the night) that drives his decision.

What I find more interesting though is Biden calling for the second debate to be delayed to accommodate Trump. Now, challengers favour debates because they see it as a way to see as being seen equal and get over the incumbency gap. But not always and particularly if you think you hold the advantage. This is what Sara Gideon has done in Maine - Susan Collins has been calling for more debates with her but Gideon has refused, seemingly viewing that she has the advantage and so why put it at risk from another debate?

In which case, if Joe Biden has such the lead the polls say he has and he knows it, why is he asking for the debate to be delayed? It makes no sense. The easy win would have been to say Trump is chicken and, while Trump would have disputed it, no one on the Democratic side would have taken issue with Biden's description. Logically, Biden's calls to delay the debate rather than allow it to slip and blame Trump make no sense.

So why has he done it?

Has he done it? Sky News just reported that Trump's campaign requested a delay and Biden's campaign rejected that out of hand.
    Just looking at Politico, I think it's changed constantly. The headlines I saw earlier said Trump had said no to a virtual debate and Biden then said reschedule it to Oct 22nd, which was meant to be the final debate. Looking now, I see the Republicans came back later and said yes we will take that but on condition we still have a third debate that the final debate be shifted a week back to the 29th. The Democrats have apparently said no to that. So, maybe Biden isn't willing to put himself at risk of a third debate after all.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/08/trump-biden-virtual-second-debate-427810
    The second one is supposed to be a "town hall" format which is thought to be dangerous for Trump because he's liable to get in an argument with the undecided voter asking the question, so I guess Team Biden like the idea of keeping that one but squishing the third one.
    Roger Stone in the Spectator said Trump should skip the third one.
    Thought he was banged up. Are you allowed to pen a Speccy column from jail?
    I am sure the Speccie has had criminals pen its articles before. Only for the right sorts of crimes though :)
    Their favourite fash, Taki, did a few months for coke I think.

Has SeanT ever contributed?
    *notveryinnocentface*

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

So she's a hypocrite, how do we vote this hypocrite out of office, you're all about taking back control from our unelected rulers.

If the Queen is as popular as you say she should put herself up regular re-election, she'll walk it right, what's she afraid of?

I'm sure her Nazi past won't be brought up.
    The monarch by definition should not be elected, as I said they are anointed for life by God, we have elections for her chief ministers when we elect the House of Commons which is more than enough.
  • So I can say I was anointed by Allah to be Monarch and I'll be the Monarch of the United Kingdom.

That's all it needs right?

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

Maybe I should stay off this site on Election Night :)
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

You have no idea how bolshy adolescent you sound. And I have no idea why you identify any strand of your thought as conservative rather than right wing populist.

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Actually it doesn't play cricket with GB, it plays cricket with England & Wales, Scotland have their own cricket team that plays at international level.
    The Ireland cricket team includes all of Northern Ireland, though yes the England cricket team is technically England and Wales hence it had welsh players like Robert Croft

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ireland_cricket_team
  • MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

I've been thinking about the whole thing around the second debate and what happens now. At first, I was with @Peter_the_Punter's view that it was a daft move by Donald but I gradually moved into the camp that it actually made sense, especially if he is still sick but even if he is not - Trump is a physical presence, he relies on physical gestures and - if memory serves me right, the taller of every Presidential candidate has always won at least in the modern era - he's an inch plus taller than Biden. I think it is this rather than whether he is cut off or not (that would be a massive editorial call on the night) that drives his decision.

What I find more interesting though is Biden calling for the second debate to be delayed to accommodate Trump. Now, challengers favour debates because they see it as a way to see as being seen equal and get over the incumbency gap. But not always and particularly if you think you hold the advantage. This is what Sara Gideon has done in Maine - Susan Collins has been calling for more debates with her but Gideon has refused, seemingly viewing that she has the advantage and so why put it at risk from another debate?

In which case, if Joe Biden has such the lead the polls say he has and he knows it, why is he asking for the debate to be delayed? It makes no sense. The easy win would have been to say Trump is chicken and, while Trump would have disputed it, no one on the Democratic side would have taken issue with Biden's description. Logically, Biden's calls to delay the debate rather than allow it to slip and blame Trump make no sense.

So why has he done it?

Has he done it? Sky News just reported that Trump's campaign requested a delay and Biden's campaign rejected that out of hand.
    Just looking at Politico, I think it's changed constantly. The headlines I saw earlier said Trump had said no to a virtual debate and Biden then said reschedule it to Oct 22nd, which was meant to be the final debate. Looking now, I see the Republicans came back later and said yes we will take that but on condition we still have a third debate that the final debate be shifted a week back to the 29th. The Democrats have apparently said no to that. So, maybe Biden isn't willing to put himself at risk of a third debate after all.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/08/trump-biden-virtual-second-debate-427810
    The second one is supposed to be a "town hall" format which is thought to be dangerous for Trump because he's liable to get in an argument with the undecided voter asking the question, so I guess Team Biden like the idea of keeping that one but squishing the third one.
    I am sure the Speccie has had criminals pen its articles before. Only for the right sorts of crimes though :)

*notveryinnocentface*
    Off the top of my head they've had pieces by the criminals Jonathan Aitken and Conrad Black in recent times.
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

You have no idea how bolshy adolescent you sound. And I have no idea why you identify any strand of your thought as conservative rather than right wing populist.
    Well PT did vote Brexit Party in 2019 and New Labour in 2001 and even he himself has said he is not a Tory, which as an atheist republican obviously he could never be, he is a populist rightwing libertarian at most
    LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

But she is literally anointed "by God". There is a special anointing oil used during the Coronation of an English Sovereign, a sacred and holy recipe dating back to Moses and Mesopotamia

http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/2012/06/the_story_of_the_royal_anointi_1.html

I believe royal babies are also baptised with Jordan water. So take yer boring, colourless republican atheism and shove it

You need to check out the meaning of literally @LadyG.

If I am not mistaken the Queen was literally anointed by the Archbishop of Canterbury, Geoffrey Fisher.
  • LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

Well, tough shit, because the chances of changing the national anthem are about 0.3%, or less, and if we did it would likely be replaced by Jerusalem, which is even more religious. And, of course, the chances of us becoming a republic are significantly lower
    The chances of becoming a republic in HMQs liftetime is 0%
    The chances of becoming a republic in my lifetime is much higher than that.

But the post you replied to spoke about religion not the monarchy, though I can see why you'd mix up those two medieval absurdities. Disestablishment of the Church in my lifetime, removing the Bishops from Parliament etc in my lifetime I expect to be well, well over 50%.

Your religion is medieval bollocks and not shared by everyone in this country. Get over it. Pray in your Churches but leave the rest of us out of it.

A religion is like a penis, it is fine to have one, it is fine to be proud of it, but please don't wave it about in public and please don't shove it uninvited down the throat of others.

Oh FFS.

This piece by several scientists alleges that anyone who goes into hospital who tests positive is now being counted as hospitalised with covid!!!

So, the numbers showing an uptick in hospitalisation which are being waved around as proof that it is not a massive false positive case load we are seeing (thanks to 100,000s of tests) but genuine covid are basically wrong.

It might be shocking to find that research on lab grown ‘live’ cultures of the virus, taken from patients, had not been published until early August – eight months after the virus outbreak. These have been used to assess the accuracy of PCR and the results are not good. It has been shown it is possible to return a positive PCR test where a sample taken from the same patient never grows a viral culture – meaning the patient does not have an active COVID-19 infection despite the positive PCR test . The implications of this for the false positive rate of PCR tests are obvious and significant.

This cannot be correct. I believe it is quite common to be unable to grow a culture from a patient who has an infection (it happened to me for a bacterial infection). Sometimes the culture just won't take.

The PCR tests conducted over the summer were returning something like 0.8% positives. It follows that the false positive rate *cannot* be higher than that (and is likely very much lower). Anyone who claims otherwise is willfully disregarding basic evidence, I'm afraid.

PS: lockdownsceptics is not a reliable source.

--AS
    The PCR rate could be getting worse because of the pressure the labs are under and the huge number of tests. More mistakes will be being made under the workload, it's only human.

edited October 2020

So I can say I was anointed by Allah to be Monarch and I'll be the Monarch of the United Kingdom.

That's all it needs right?

I believe the King of Saudi Arabia is effectively anointed by Allah certainly as custodian of the 2 Holy Mosques and as he is Head of an Islamic state as enshrined in law. The King of Morocco too is commander of the faithful

The piece on lockdownsceptics doesn't mention this, but it raises another issue: how many people in ICU who we are being told are there because of covid are actually just testing positive (maybe even asymptomatically or fasle positive) but are actually very ill with something else e.g. seasonal flu breathing difficulties etc?

Seems to be straw clutching.

It is unlikely to be a major proportion because if it was then it shouldn't be escalating dramatically as the non-COVID ICU patients should be a relatively stable number.

Quoting Malmesbury's image from earlier, why would it be rising like this if it was a coincidence and they actually had something else? I know its a hospitalisation chart not an ICU chart but I believe ICU chart follows the same pattern.

Don't know. How does it compare with the non-covid autumn season?
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited October 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

I am not a conservative. And a right wing populism is more likely to involve antidisestablishmentarianism than atheist republicanism, so I am not that either.

I am a liberal/libertarian, but the most liberal/libertarian party we have in this country is the Conservatives - sister party to Australia's Liberals.

I believe in low taxes and people having the opportunity to work hard and get what they deserve on merit and keeping it for themselves. Being born to reign or believing in mythical deities doesn't fit with that.

PS how is saying I fully respect everyone's right to have their own beliefs, just don't shove those beliefs upon others, the view of a "bolshy adolescent"?
  • I notice that we're now running at tests >250k per day and a gap has re-opened between tests processed and capacity.

Haven't noticed anyone complaining recently that they can't get a test. Have the capacity issues been resolved for now or still ongoing?

I can't imagine the Roche issues will be helping.

Have been thinking the same myself.

FWIW I know half a dozen people who have had tests in the past few weeks, none had problems getting them and all received results within a day or so (all negative).

I wonder how much the testing problems were from parents wanting tests for their kids after they came back from school with a start of term cough.

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

So why has he done it?

*notveryinnocentface*
    Off the top of my head they've had pieces by the criminals Jonathan Aitken and Conrad Black in recent times.
    Isn't one of their former editors a crim?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Moore,_Baron_Moore_of_Etchingham#Editor
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,334
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

You are forgetting two things -

1. NI folk have dual nationality, despite UK Gmt attemp to suppress iut
    2. How dare they even use the term GB - above all in NI where the word 'British' is so tendentious - when the UK is meant?
    I was under the impression that NI athletes in the olympics could choose either Britain or Ireland to represent, hence Team GB or Team Ireland.
  • Oh FFS.

This cannot be correct. I believe it is quite common to be unable to grow a culture from a patient who has an infection (it happened to me for a bacterial infection). Sometimes the culture just won't take.

The PCR tests conducted over the summer were returning something like 0.8% positives. It follows that the false positive rate *cannot* be higher than that (and is likely very much lower). Anyone who claims otherwise is willfully disregarding basic evidence, I'm afraid.

--AS
    The PCR rate could be getting worse because of the pressure the labs are under and the huge number of tests. More mistakes will be being made under the workload, it's only human.

Well... it *could*. Or it could be getting better as they get more practiced at doing it. Both are fairly unlikely. On the other hand, all evidence points to increasing infections, in many countries as well as ours.

(There will of course be a bit of variability in accuracy from time-to-time and lab-to-lab.)

--AS
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920
    Land of Hope and Glory is far and away the best candidate for an English anthem. It’s immeasurably superior to God Save the Queen, and stirring in a way that Jerusalem just is not. It would also be absolutely appropriate to use music that was composed by the greatest of all English composers.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    edited October 2020
    MrEd said:

OllyT said:

MrEd said:

OllyT said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

Trump probably has a 15% chance now. 20% at best.

So the odds available on Biden are still crazy.

Yes it's odd. Trump should be 6 or 7 and he's 3. Something irrational is supporting the price. Could it be the fear amongst many that he and he alone stands between us and domination by an elite cabal of wealthy liberal child molesters? Because that might not show up in the polls. Not even Rasmussen.
    The biggest mistake I have ever made betting wise was with believing Theresa May would win a thumping majority in 2017 because of what the polls were saying. Not all of them, we have debated this before, but a lot of them. What I should have been paying more attention is the mood around me which suggested people were getting tired of May and especially her refusal to turn up for the debate.

I think this is what it feels like here. The polls are saying Biden should be a shoo-in but it doesn't feel like that on the ground. There does not feel like a popular uprising for Biden / Harris and, quite frankly, outside the Coasts and on Twitter, not much up of an uprising against DT
    Could you expand on your assertion that despite all the national polling telling pretty much the same story right now, including the GOP leaners like Rasmussen, you are telling us that "it doesn't feel like that on the ground".

Perhaps you could point me to some credible sources where I could read about that. I would like to try to understand it.
    I referenced them in an earlier post but here's the main ones Iwas refernecing

https://apnews.com/article/election-2020-virus-outbreak-race-and-ethnicity-joe-biden-police-dc121351b80fa6b0d30df0671f266634
    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/sep/23/despacito-isnt-good-enough-joe-biden-latino-voters-are-slipping-away
    https://thefederalist.com/2020/10/07/in-michigan-trump-and-biden-compete-for-pandemic-weary-swing-voters/
    https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/2020-10-05/trump-biden-nevada-battleground
    https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-usa-election-latino-wisconsin/in-battleground-wisconsin-some-latinos-feel-ignored-by-biden-idUSKBN26N1MZ
    https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/trumps-appeal-in-flyover-country/

Just also to correct @Alistair from earlier - I didn't say I was on the ground: I said journalists covering the vox pop were making these points.
    I'm struggling to understand why the impressions of a few journos "on the ground" would be be more accurate than all the national pollsters. Perhaps you could explain

If you want to very selectively cherry pick you can make a case for just about anything
    They might not be. But what gives you such certainty the polls are absolutely right? It's a serious question.

I got back to a point I made before. Trump was 6/1 on the day in 2016. How did that happen if the national polls were so supposedly accurate?

Anyway, interesting article - don't worry, it's not a journo interviewing a voter, it's a media industry trade publication but it has relevance to the current debate

https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/356409/earned-media-distractions-may-count-more-in-polit.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=headline&utm_campaign=120036&hashid=E-AbuZ-ZSu94W2xYgDxxDW5oWV4
    I am not certain that the polls are absolutely right I am saying that if you look at the national polling dispassionately it is almost all pointing in the same direction right now ie a clear Biden win even within MOE.

In the absence of anything else the polls are our best guide to what is happening. Rasmussen's 12 point lead for Biden was a bit of a clincher for me.

I am quite happy to listen to reasons why a particular poll might be wrong because it has the wrong weighting of registered voters or it is under-sampling of HS only educated voters. What I cannot accept is that they are all wrong for the anecdotal or seemingly spurious reasons you keep coming up with.

Just give me the bullet points of why you believe all the national polling companies are getting it so wrong. We will then have a basis for discussion

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

But the post you replied to spoke about religion not the monarchy, though I can see why you'd mix up those two medieval absurdities. Disestablishment of the Church in my lifetime, removing the Bishops from Parliament etc in my lifetime I expect to be well, well over 50%.

Your religion is medieval bollocks and not shared by everyone in this country. Get over it. Pray in your Churches but leave the rest of us out of it.

A religion is like a penis, it is fine to have one, it is fine to be proud of it, but please don't wave it about in public and please don't shove it uninvited down the throat of others.
    I am sorry you forced to fellate the reality of monarchy, but this oral rape is not going to stop until you are dead. England tried being a republic once in 1500 years, we didn't like it, so we went back to kings and queens. It is vanishingly unlikely we will try it again for centuries

It is also worth noting that of the top 20 richest societies, a majority are monarchies. This is not coincidence. They tend to be more stable.

edited October 2020

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

I am not a conservative. And a right wing populism is more likely to involve antidisestablishmentarianism than atheist republicanism, so I am not that either.

I am a liberal/libertarian, but the most liberal/libertarian party we have in this country is the Conservatives - sister party to Australia's Liberals.

I believe in low taxes and people having the opportunity to work hard and get what they deserve on merit and keeping it for themselves. Being born to reign or believing in mythical deities doesn't fit with that.

PS how is saying I fully respect everyone's right to have their own beliefs, just don't shove those beliefs upon others, the view of a "bolshy adolescent"?
    As I pointed out earlier the LDs are now more free market liberal than the Conservatives and technically the Conservatives are also sister party to the Australian Nationals as well as the Liberals as they are all one Coalition and the Canadian Conservatives who are the main opposition party from the Canadian Liberals, in Canada you would basically be a Liberal, even in France you are probably closer to Macron and En Marche than the conservative Les Republicains

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1313885499086565376?s=20
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    FFS

Scottish school children had an order of magnitude increase in testing done of them and saw no increase in absolute case numbers.

There is no "false positive" drive to the numbers. If there was it would have clearly shown in the Scottish numbers. It did not.
  • 1,000 homes which will house about 3 days worth of the UK net immigration running at around 1,000 per day.
    Douglas Ross is a linesman at the England v Wales match

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Still a bit religious, as is Land of Hope and Glory, but not enough to bother me. I'd be happy with either but prefer the latter.

Jerusalem and Land of Hope and Glory are both what an anthem should be - about what you want your country to be. Not sycophantically pandering to an individual.
    Land of Peace and Fairness.
    Brothers all are we.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Clitoris is the technical term. You are right: it is the anthem of the Women's Institute.

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

I Vow To Thee My Country. A very singable hymn.
  • MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

Look on the bright side unlike me you never spent most of 2015 and the early part of 2016 saying (and betting) that Donald Trump wouldn't be the GOP nominee
    HYUFD said:

Douglas Ross is a linesman at the England v Wales match

Let’s hope VAR is working then.

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

Indeed most people in the country are atheists.

Which rather proves that @bobajob was right and @seant was wrong when those two golden greats had a very long argument about whether secularism would grow or decline.

If only they were both here now!
  • HYUFD said:

IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

As I pointed out earlier the LDs are now more free market liberal than the Conservatives and technically the Conservatives are also sister party to the Australian Nationals as well as the Liberals as they are all one Coalition and the Canadian Conservatives who are the main opposition party from the Canadian Liberals, in Canada you would basically be a Liberal, even in France you are probably closer to Macron and En Marche than the conservative Les Republicains

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1313885499086565376?s=20
    That opinion poll says nothing and no option there is "free market liberal" - the free market liberal position is to do neither, let people make their own decisions not have a government make a choice and "help" people do what the government has chosen is appropriate. Though even then the difference between the LD and Tory positions in your poll is marginal at best.

As for the Canadian Liberals, they're too left wing for me as it stands, though I do like that they have legalised cannabis something I have long believed in. When Sunak looks to sort out the books here he could think what a difference taxing drugs instead of spending on Prisons etc to enforce drug law could make. Also the Police could be freed up to deal with thefts and other crimes instead of chasing drug dealers.
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

A fine tune, but a tad depressing. An anthem should be rousing?

Whatever the merits of demerits of God Save the Queen or its alternatives, we should be happy that anything we choose to sing will always be infinitely better than, Lord help us, "Flower of Scotland"

OMFG lol
    HYUFD

Yes, had to rewind that as I thought I misheard!
  • LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

Which rather proves that @bobajob was right and @seant was wrong when those two golden greats had a very long argument about whether secularism would grow or decline.

I would suggest most people in this country are agnostics.

I think actual atheists are still in a minority.
  • Philip strikes me as a bit of a banter finder, I am not sure he's ever serious in what he posts
    kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

Land of Peace and Fairness.
    Brothers all are we.
    No objection to revising the words. Just keep the tune.
    LadyG said:

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

A fine tune, but a tad depressing. An anthem should be rousing?

Whatever the merits of demerits of God Save the Queen or its alternatives, we should be happy that anything we choose to sing will always be infinitely better than, Lord help us, "Flower of Scotland"

OMFG lol
    Put the words of it to the Soviet anthem?
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

I won't be gloating or emoting. It will be something quiet and profound. Like your baby being born healthy. That sort of feeling.

LadyG said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

LadyG said:

"Anointed by God" 😂

A narrow majority of Britons may say they have no religion now but that is not the same as being actively atheist, they could be agnostic, even if the UK is one of the least religious countries in the world
  • Philip strikes me as a bit of a banter finder, I am not sure he's ever serious in what he posts

I am serious and act from consistent principles. I consistently believe in the merit of individuals doing what they want and taking responsibility for their decisions.

If I wasn't serious, if I was just being a contrarian, then I should be flip-flopping all over the place and being inconsistent. Have you ever seen that?
  • So why is Exeter university a centre of infection and not Bath university or Brighton (Sussex) or Guildford (Surrey) or Canterbury (Kent) ?

Likewise Nottingham but not Leicester and so on.

Is it simply because some universities have widespread testing and others don't ?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052

Oh FFS.

--AS

There are no tanks in Baghdad!

I wish you were right, but you aren’t. This wave is not an artefact of measurement, neither are the increasing number of admissions. You can only ignore facts for so long.

I am not a lockdown advocate, but denying the truth helps no one.
    edited October 2020
    MaxPB said:
    Clearly Barack has realised the Cambridges are still A+list like him and Michelle while the Sussexes are heading to C- list, so he will focus on those in his league
  • It'd be funny to see how Scots would react if he flagged an English goal off for offside.

MrEd said:

stodge said:

MrEd said:

Sees the sun going down
    And the eyes in his head
    See the world spinning round.
This discussion has been closed.