Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The pursuit of happiness – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    RH1992 said:

Unbelievable arrogance from that SNP MP. By acting so selfishly, she he has potentially passed the infection on to a number of people and will have caused distress to many more. If she had any sense of honour she would resign. The SNP should clearly suspend her. What are the chances?

They have no choice.

She has put all mps and staff in the HOC at risk and all those on her train journey

Apparently they do have a choice.....

https://twitter.com/BBCHelenCatt/status/1311717192132685827
    Sturgeon doing a Boris
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    MP makes it even worse for herself.

https://twitter.com/EKRuthCambusPol/status/1310910955208028166

Visit police station after being told to self isolate...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Trump is running out of time to turn this round:

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1311672316020043776

Hundreds of thousands of Americans are voting each day, with more key states opening up early or by-mail voting shortly.

Some are voting for him of course.
    Actually those numbers aren't really that large. 2m. how many voted last time, 130m? so one seventieth of the total?

Trump's troops won;t show their hand until polling day. Not really.
    In aggregate, they're not that large.

But Wisconsin is at 11% already. And there's still four and a half weeks to go.

It wouldn't be surprising to see Wisconsin reach 40% by polling day.
    I don;t see how you can work out what 40% is until you know what 100% is.

Its also possible that after an initial surge by adamant anti-Trump-ites the numbers drop as we get close to the vote.

Maybe Trump loses Wisconsin anyhoo.
    The numbers are in comparison to 2016 turnout.

And, if you look at state level approval ratings, Wisconsin was the weakest state for Trump (of the ones he won in 2016). That makes it a prime candidate to flip in my book.

The way I look at this is:

- which states have approval-disapproval out of line with the national average, and were either narrow Clinton wins, or narrow Trump wins
    - which party has had more success in driving voter registration

This puts Virginia in the dicey column for the Democrats (surprisingly good numbers for the Republicans in both), and suggests Trump holds Florida. (Although the current flare up of CV19 among the elderly has to be concerning to him.)

This puts Wisconsin and Michigan in the Dem gain column, and suggests that Colorado, Nevada and New Hampshire are safe for them.

The problem President Trump has, though, is that there are a bunch of states (like Arizona and Pennsylvania) where he's in with a shot. But he really has to win almost all of these to hold onto the Presidency.

Possible? For sure. But looking increasingly unlikely.
    Yes If I were Trump the big worries would be Wisconsin/Michigan/Pennsylvania. That's where it will be won or lost.

One of the US pundits I listen to says it would be historically unprecedented for a president to underperform his
    approval rating. Not sure if that's true though.
    Well... Trump's approval rating is about 44%. If he gets 46% (sounds reasonable), then there is 54% for Biden and the other candidates. If we assume they get 3% (not unrealistic), then you get 51%-46%, which results in (unless Trump is exceptionally fortunate with voter distribution) Biden winning the Midwest back.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010

Hillary Clinton has finally hit 1000/1.

Some of the freest money there has ever been on a betting market.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Tell me she hadn't had the positive test at this point but even that is no excuse
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

ITV commenting on Margaret Ferrier SNP MP said it was shocking and extraordinary that she traveled to Westminster with symptoms and then unbelievable travelled back to Scotland on the train having had a positive test

They said there will be serious repercussions in Parliament and the SNP tonight

And to be fair, this is worse than Cummings idiotic escapade

It is 100 times worse than Cummings. He was just in a car with his family. But still the Cummings story was the biggest news event of the past 20 years eclipsing the Irag War, 9/11 etc etc
    What Ferrier has done is wildly reckless and dangerous, but it doesn't all of a sudden vindicate Cummings.

Harold Shipman's strike rate compared to Fred West's didn't make West a good guy.
  • Options

ITV commenting on Margaret Ferrier SNP MP said it was shocking and extraordinary that she traveled to Westminster with symptoms and then unbelievable travelled back to Scotland on the train having had a positive test

Like Cummings this is volume turned up to eleven serious.

Nippy has to do to Ferrier what she did to Calderwood.
    But not what BJ did to Dom presumably.

The SNP haven't been slow in suspending other elected members for lesser offences so they should get it done now (as many SNP supporters are saying on twitter).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Wes Streeting MP Retweeted
    Ruth Davidson
    @RuthDavidsonMSP
    ·
    4m
    This suggests Margaret Ferrier met with police on TUESDAY, after receiving her positive COVID test result on Monday night and then taking public transport back to Scotland from London. {Pic of Ferrier with some police indoors, no mask, broadly socially distanced}

Think Ruthie has deleted this tweet now.

https://twitter.com/RuthDavidsonMSP/status/1311726724321873925
  • Options

It is 100 times worse than Cummings. He was just in a car with his family. But still the Cummings story was the biggest news event of the past 20 years eclipsing the Irag War, 9/11 etc etc
    What Ferrier has done is wildly reckless and dangerous, but it doesn't all of a sudden vindicate Cummings.

Harold Shipman's strike rate compared to Fred West's didn't make West a good guy.
    Absolutely correct but on a scale of serious breach this is right off it
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Of course it does not, but is puts into perspective the level of risk that he posed to the public, zero, compared to what she has done. Can you imagine if a Tory MP had done this?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898

We have seen a second spike in cases. Will we see a second spike in deaths? Has any country yet had a second spike in deaths? And yes I understand it isn't just about deaths.

Israel.
  • Options

The SNP haven't been slow in suspending other elected members for lesser offences so they should get it done now (as many SNP supporters are saying on twitter).
    Sturgeon will be alongside Boris if she is not sacked tonight
  • Options

That is fair enough. I agree with your comment re: Cummings. I find it tiresome how some of the more excitable Tories on here seem to think Ms. Ferrier's action makes what Cummings did OK.
  • Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited October 2020
    RH1992 said:

Unbelievable arrogance from that SNP MP. By acting so selfishly, she he has potentially passed the infection on to a number of people and will have caused distress to many more. If she had any sense of honour she would resign. The SNP should clearly suspend her. What are the chances?

They have no choice.

She has put all mps and staff in the HOC at risk and all those on her train journey

I do not understand this "waiting for police to investigate" thing at all. It is an egregious breach of the regulations which she appears fully to admit. If I were her, I would be begging Police to issue the £200 fine right now, which I would immediately pay. Same with Stanley Johnson, Jeremy Corbyn, and even Dominic Cummings (although he denied it for reasons best known to nobody).

It kills the story and salvages a bit of dignity. A lot of people accept the argument that they admitted it, apologised, and paid the penalty. People can still say - correctly - you were a fool. But they can't say you received special treatment.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Should have both been sacked. Oh well.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Should have both been sacked. Oh well.
    100% yes
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

RH1992 said:

They have no choice.

I do not understand this "waiting for police to investigate" thing at all. It is an egregious breach of the regulations which she appears fully to admit. If I were her, I would be begging Police to issue the £200 fine right now, which I would immediately pay. Same with Stanley Johnson, Jeremy Corbyn, and even Dominic Cummings (although he denied it for reasons best known to nobody).

It kills the story and salvages a bit of dignity. A lot of people accept the argument that they admitted it, apologised, and paid the penalty. People can still say - correctly - you were a fool. But they can't say you received special treatment.
    Stanley Johnson went into a newsagent without a mask on. She had Covid symptoms, took a test, was positive, still travelled on trains for hours and went to the heart of our Government and wondered around infecting people. Not really the same.
  • Options

That is correct.
  • Options

That is fair enough. I agree with your comment re: Cummings. I find it tiresome how some of the more excitable Tories on here seem to think Ms. Ferrier's action makes what Cummings did OK.
    Please do not include me in that comment

Cummings should have gone and I have said that ever since the breach

But this breach is beyond believable
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980
    Would be an interesting by-election - and test for SKS’s credentials in Scotland - if she’s forced to resign as an MP.
  • Options

Wait and see. Taking a few hours to give someone the boot would not be in any way comparable to keeping someone in post through thick and thin.
  • Options

Of course it does not, but is puts into perspective the level of risk that he posed to the public, zero, compared to what she has done. Can you imagine if a Tory MP had done this?
    But Cummings posed greater than zero risk.

I don't dispute this is off the scale, but you are rewriting history.
  • Options

RH1992 said:

They have no choice.

Stanley Johnson went into a newsagent without a mask on. She had Covid symptoms, took a test, was positive, still travelled on trains for hours and went to the heart of our Government and wondered around infecting people. Not really the same.
    I never said they were equivalent in risk posed to the public.

The point is that they are all people who should set an example, all broke the law, and all admit it. The penalty isn't Guantanomo Bay - it's a fine. For each of them, the danger is being seen to get preferential treatment and "one rule for them".

They should all be begging the Police to throw the (pretty small) book at them.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Hillary Clinton has finally hit 1000/1.

Oh to have had the bank balance to have collected all that free money.
  • Options

I wasn't. But for anyone who feels that the cap fits etc.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451

I want to know her thought process. It might prove valuable to understand the mentality of others, who have done or will do similar things.

- She had a positive test.
    - At that point I would be trying to work out how not meet anyone for 10-14 days.
    - Definitely cancel anything like an appointment/meeting
    - Probably text spamming anyone I'd met in the last week or 2...
  • Options

I want to know her thought process. It might prove valuable to understand the mentality of others, who have done or will do similar things.

- At that point I would be trying to work out how not meet anyone for 10-14 days.
    Yes I desperatly want to know her thought process
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451
    Alistair said:

I am not being sarcastic - understanding is the first step to fix a problem.

We have a problem with people being selfish about COVID risks. Find out why.....
  • Options

Would be an interesting by-election - and test for SKS’s credentials in Scotland - if she’s forced to resign as an MP.

She's very unlikely to be forced to resign as an MP in reality. It's nowhere near the legal level for a recall petition, and the most the SNP can do is withdraw the whip.

I'd actually be impressed with her in a way if she did forego four years of an MP's salary because she's embarrassed. But I don't think it's likely.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    Biden`s odds have shortened again. 1.6 (1.64 earlier). Better to back Dems as winning party at 1.59 though as Biden risk premium has almost gone.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,980

She's very unlikely to be forced to resign as an MP in reality. It's nowhere near the legal level for a recall petition, and the most the SNP can do is withdraw the whip.

I'd actually be impressed with her in a way if she did forego four years of an MP's salary because she's embarrassed. But I don't think it's likely.
    You’re right, but I think someone who wilfully put so many people’s health in jeopardy is not fit to be an MP.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,323
    edited October 2020

Apologies- I have deleted my comment

I misunderstood your point which I understand
  • Options

You’re right, but I think someone who wilfully put so many people’s health in jeopardy is not fit to be an MP.
    If everyone who wasn't fit to be an MP resigned as an MP, there would be a heck of a lot more by-elections!
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

Should some people on here be saying that she has the right to make judgements on her own health and risk?

(Because this is literally the problem - it's people making judgements on others risk and health)
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

DavidL said:

Trump is running out of time to turn this round:

https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1311672316020043776

Hundreds of thousands of Americans are voting each day, with more key states opening up early or by-mail voting shortly.

Some are voting for him of course.
    Th notion of Trump ever 'turning this around' with certain pollsters is pretty fanciful, judging by what happened in 2016.
    if you insist on making comparisons with 2016, it was the betting market that was way, way off rather than the pollsters. The pollsters will certainly have made rational adjustments in a self-interested effort to do better this time round, it's yet to be seen how successful they'll be. What ability do you think the betting market has to make 'rational' adjustments?
    Look,. if I am wrong its me losing money not you.

And right on cue a poll to back up my views.

Gallup's latest shows 60% of Americans either trust the mainstream media little or not at all.

9% have a great deal of faith in the mass media. That's who CNN think America is, and who they are talking to.
    You started off on pollsters, not the media...
    Look I get it, you guys only want one view on here, and that's the size of Biden's win. Fair enough.

You are correct in that only a tiny handful of PBers are actually hoping for a Trump victory but most know that Trump could yet steal it (metaphorically and literally).
  • Options
    Good evening all. Margaret Ferrier's conduct is frankly unbelievable. If she does not resign, or the SNP take anything other than very severe disciplinary action, I fail to see how Sturgeon can reasonably expect people Scotland to adhere to Covid restrictions. For Ferrier to behave like she has after a positive test is unforgivable.
  • Options

RH1992 said:

They have no choice.

Sturgeon doing a Boris
    A big error of judgement by Nippy if that report is correct.
  • Options

RH1992 said:

They have no choice.

Sturgeon doing a Boris
    A big error of judgement by Nippy if that report is correct.
    Looks like she has seen sense
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,294

They have no choice.

If you get a positive result, return home whilst staying away from others as best you can is government advice, is it not?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

They have no choice.

If you get a positive result, return home whilst staying away from others as best you can is government advice, is it not?
    Are you excusing her. Really
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Brillovision starting very much as it means to go on I feel. Mouthwatering.

https://twitter.com/SpectatorEvents/status/1311685679257190400?s=20

I sense much challenging of the stultifying left liberal consensus that somehow and rather magically dominates despite a Tory landslide govt and a heavily right wing press coming our way here.
    Right wing press?

With Channel 4, Sky and the BBC all on the left (C4 extremely so, the rest more marginally).
    Press. They are skewed heavily to the right. You are talking TV stations. Ch4 is left, no question. Sky and the Beeb are only left if one is viewing from the extreme right. So, ok, assuming it's you doing the viewing (and I hope you have a licence) your comment is sincere and subjectively truthful. Albeit objectively speaking, bollocks.
    How is the press right?

TV and radio objectively makes up an overwhelming majority of the press. Name one 'objectively speaking' right-wing TV station that compares to Channel 4, even if you (for some bizarre reason) think BBC and Sky are impartial (perhaps they are coming from your PoV but that should say it all).

And that's without dignifying ITV with Piers Morgan and Robert Peston as being part of the "press".
    "The press" is the printed media. The clue is in the title.

Press + broadcasters = media.
    If by printed media you include online then the BBC and Sky are both printed. Indeed the BBC claims to be the "world's most visited news site": https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/worldnews/2020/worlds-most-visited-news-site
    I don't.

But I accept my formula should be: Press + broadcasters + online news sites = media.
    Your formula is rather antiquated then.

This is the year 2020, actually printed newspapers are a fraction of the news. Online websites whether the Guardian online, the Times behind its paywall, the Mail's website etc are the bulk of their readership now . . . and the BBC News website has the biggest printed news readership of them all.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,020
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Well, I have made it back into the UK. “Have you filled your form in?”, I was asked by the UK customs man at Eurotunnel Calais, to which an answer “yes” without asking for any proof was sufficient to wave me onto the train.

This time of year, Eurotunnel would normally be 80% returning Brits. Today, they were running a 50% service but what they were running was full. I’d guess about 45% Brits and 45% travelling Germans, with the balance the odd French, Belgian or Dutch car.

The weather here is shit right now. I got soaked unloading the car.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    Scott_xP said:
    It would save us all having to watch another.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    edited October 2020
    IanB2 said:

They have no choice.

Is that before or after you make a stop for a photoshoot at a police station?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,699
    Ms Ferrier's political career should be over, but I feel sorry for her at the same time. Everyone makes mistakes.
  • Options

She's an elected Member of Parliament too.
  • Options
    Care home update - I`d welcome opinions. (There was a heart-wrenching episode of R4 Any Answers on this on Saturday.)

My mother`s care home is - at last - allocating a room inside the home for visitors. However - only one person is allowed to visit and that has to be the same person every time. That person will be my father.

This means that my sister and I, and friends, will only have the option of an "outside visit". Over the winter months, let`s say five months, outside visits will be unlikely to happen for obvious weather reasons plus my mum is often too unwell to be wheeled out into the car park. Therefore it is likely that we will not (dad excepted) be able to see my mum at all for five months.

What to do? There in no appeal procedure. I think mum should be allowed visitors when:

1) the visitor has had a negative Covid test within the last, say, three days.
    2) I think that if mum is not well enough to attend an inside or outside visit then she should be entitled to have the visitor come to her room.
    3) I, or my sister, should be able to take mum out for a ride in the car if mum is well enough to do so.

I think these are reasonable common-sense requests but the home will not agree to any of them.

Any thoughts? I`m thinking about writing to the local council about the situation.
  • Options
    edited October 2020

IanB2 said:

They have no choice.

Not at all. Travelling with symptoms was truly dumb. Pitching up at work when you know you have symptoms is her serious offence.

I was commenting on her trip home.

It’s just that I was looking at the advice on gov.uk, after having filled in my passenger locator form from my hotel room in Germany yesterday, and the advice if you test for the virus wasn’t “go straight to the nearest hospital” but appeared to be “get yourself home staying away from others as best you can”.
  • Options

But Cummo had a hand in imposing the rules upon everyone else.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,310
    edited October 2020
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

They have no choice.

Not at all. Travelling with symptoms was truly dumb. Pitching up at work when you know you have symptoms is her serious offence.

It’s just that I was looking at the advice on gov.uk, after having filled in my passenger locator form from my hotel room in Germany yesterday, and the advice if you test for the virus wasn’t “go straight to the nearest hospital” but appeared to be “get yourself home staying away from others as best you can”.
    I don't know what living arrangements she has in London, but she surely has somewhere she can rest her head.
  • Options

...and your point is?
  • Options

...and your point is?
    MPs are the ones who vote for the rules.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    Scott_xP said:
    Ferrier gone in a day, Cummings still there. Therein lies the difference
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    dr_spyn said:

Picture is from the 25th, before she was told to self isolate I believe.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

They have no choice.

I don't know what living arrangements she has in London, but she surely has somewhere she can rest her head.
    That's the bit that makes no sense.

Why travel for six hours on a train, when you know you have the virus?

We know she stayed in London on the Monday night, so why not isolate herself there until she's no longer a risk?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Care home update - I`d welcome opinions. (There was a heart-wrenching episode of R4 Any Answers on this on Saturday.)

My mother`s care home is - at last - allocating a room inside the home for visitors. However - only one person is allowed to visit and that has to be the same person every time. That person will be my father.

This means that my sister and I, and friends, will only have the option of an "outside visit". Over the winter months, let`s say five months, outside visits will be unlikely to happen for obvious weather reasons plus my mum is often too unwell to be wheeled out into the car park. Therefore it is likely that we will not (dad excepted) be able to see my mum at all for five months.

What to do? There in no appeal procedure. I think mum should be allowed visitors when:

2) I think that if mum is not well enough to attend an inside or outside visit then she should be entitled to have the visitor come to her room.
    3) I, or my sister, should be able to take mum out for a ride in the car if mum is well enough to do so.

I think these are reasonable common-sense requests but the home will not agree to any of them.

Any thoughts? I`m thinking about writing to the local council about the situation.

The home allows outside visits. You are worried about the weather. Can the home not get hold of those heaters used in pub gardens?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,658

But Cummings posed greater than zero risk.

I don't dispute this is off the scale, but you are rewriting history.
    Difference is Cummings didn’t even apologise.
    Her political career is probably (rightly) over.
  • Options

Stocky said:

The home allows outside visits. You are worried about the weather. Can the home not get hold of those heaters used in pub gardens?
    Good suggestion, I`ll raise that. The outside visit area, part of the car park, had plastic roof (no sides) but that blew off in a storm and they haven`t replaced it.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    edited October 2020

In case you had forgotten, which I appreciate is possible, he went into work while his wife was showing symptoms of the virus. Shortly thereafter, a large proportion of the cabinet including our esteemed Prime Minister fell ill with Covid.

Post hoc does not equal propter hoc, of course, but the coincidence is suggestive and either way, your point falls.

That’s even before we go into his desperation for a garden, his decision to visit a hospital and a beauty spot while quarantined and his increasingly bizarre lies to try and cover it.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

What a terrible situation in which to find yourself.

I would try the testing route, say you'll have a (private) test the day before you come and see her, and will isolate between the test and the visit.

The problem, from their side, is that they won't want to make exceptions to their rules for anyone, as it could lead to complaints from others and allegations of discrimination (I can't afford a private test, so it's not fair that he gets to see his relative and I don't, just because he has money and I don't).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,658
    Even Fox seems to be starting to think they’ve had enough of the bullshit.

https://twitter.com/justinbaragona/status/1311710240887517184
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    OllyT said:

Scott_xP said:
    Precisely. And thus the SNP can make a virtue out of necessity in having to cricket bat one of their MPs, and Johnson is made to look awful all over again.

Cummings is toxic to the Government. As long as he remains in place he can be weaponized over and over again by its opponents.
  • Options

...and your point is?
    Did you miss the bit where the government took upon itself the power to make and promulgate rules without any reference to parliament?

Which, without drawing any direct analogy, was one of the first powers the Nazis introduced after Hitler was made chancellor in 1933.......
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Scott_xP said:
    Ferrier has been suspended, Cummings is hanging on?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

OllyT said:

Scott_xP said:
    She's lost the party whip, but is still an MP drawing her salary and allowances.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I am not being sarcastic - understanding is the first step to fix a problem.

We have a problem with people being selfish about COVID risks. Find out why.....
    Absolutely. Like you I simply don't under stand how she ended up making the decisions she did.

If this was a person on the poverty line who couldn't eat if they didn't work I would understand it, but not an MP.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

OllyT said:

Scott_xP said:
    She's lost the party whip, but is still an MP drawing her salary and allowances.
    My punning skills are just wasted on some people.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

...and your point is?
    Did you miss the bit where the government took upon itself the power to make and promulgate rules without any reference to parliament?

Which, without drawing any direct analogy, was one of the first powers the Nazis introduced after Hitler was made chancellor in 1933.......
    No, I didn't. I noticed the bit where MPs voted to give the government power to make rules, the government didn't take that power by itself.

I also noticed 80 Tory MPs suggesting this week that they'd be happy to strip the government of those powers, a rebellion I supported on this site . . . what a shame the opposition MPs who could have won the vote if they'd gone against the government chose not to instead.

I wonder how Ferrier voted on the original ballot giving the powers to the government and this week's one? If she opposed the government having the powers both times then fair enough.
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Somewhat typical of Sturgeon that she hesitated for a while before deciding it was utterly indefensible. Reminds me of her outrage over exams - several days after it happened.
  • Options

the SNP can make a virtue out of necessity in having to cricket bat one of their MPs, and Johnson is made to look awful all over again.

There is another upside for the SNP...

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1311739966783922177
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    Good to see Sturgeon acting decisively to demonstrate the rules apply to everyone. The contrast with Johnson is striking.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Somewhat typical of Sturgeon that she hesitated for a while before deciding it was utterly indefensible. Reminds me of her outrage over exams - several days after it happened.

Ferrier new on Tuesday. What did she tell the whips? Why has it taken 2 days for Nippy to "find out" ?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

Ferrier new on Tuesday. What did she tell the whips? Why has it taken 2 days for Nippy to "find out" ?
    Do we know that the whips are not Salmondites?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

I would try the testing route, say you'll have a (private) test the day before you come and see her, and will isolate between the test and the visit.

The problem, from their side, is that they won't want to make exceptions to their rules for anyone, as it could lead to complaints from others and allegations of discrimination (I can't afford a private test, so it's not fair that he gets to see his relative and I don't, just because he has money and I don't).
    How much is a private test?
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,552
    edited October 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    What a decent politician Nicola Sturgeon is. Absolutely correct response, and such a contrast with the Cummings disaster, which continues to haunt Boris and the party. Shame about Nicola being leader of a party committed to breaking up Britain. She would make a better PM than any rival at the moment.

• Options
    Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

Stocky said:

How much is a private test?
    I paid £180 for a 24 hour return test, BUPA do a 3-5 day turnaround time test for £65.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Scott_xP said:
    I'm remembering a previous incidence of the SNP promptly disciplining a party member where the galaxy brain take was that they only did it to make other parties look bad.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,552
    Scott_xP said:

the SNP can make a virtue out of necessity in having to cricket bat one of their MPs, and Johnson is made to look awful all over again.

There is another upside for the SNP...

https://twitter.com/alexmassie/status/1311739966783922177
    The competition is hot, but not nearly as hot as when Labour had lots of Scottish seats. Remember that inarticulate and dim Speaker from Glasgow?

• Options
    SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,259
    edited October 2020
    algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:
    What a decent politician Nicola Sturgeon is. Absolutely correct response, and such a contrast with the Cummings disaster, which continues to haunt Boris and the party. Shame about Nicola being leader of a party committed to breaking up Britain. She would make a better PM than any rival at the moment.

Whilst I basically agree with you about Johnson's defence of Cummings, there are two major differences that make this very much easier for Sturgeon.

Firstly, reckless and arrogant as Cummings was and is, this is even further up the egregiousness scale - it's impossible to defend in any way, even a weak one.

Secondly, Johnson feels Cummings is indispensible. Margaret Ferrier is a nobody and utterly dispensible.
  • Options

Secondly, Johnson feels Cummings is indispensible. Margaret Ferrier is a nobody and utterly dispensible.

Except Nippy absolutely cannot afford a by-election. She can't be sure which faction would win it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Except Nippy absolutely cannot afford a by-election. She can't be sure which faction would win it.
    She's not going to get a by-election, though. Withdrawing the whip simply doesn't do that.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,996
    Risk premium on Biden has disappeared and widened for Trump.

Biden 1.58 as next President. Democrat also 1.58 as next President.

Trump as next President 2.74. Republican as next President 2.68. Trump to leave before end of 1st term 10.

• Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

They have no choice.

We know she stayed in London on the Monday night, so why not isolate herself there until she's no longer a risk?
    Government advice is very clear that if you have symptoms you should go home and stay home.

• Options

She's not going to get a by-election, though. Withdrawing the whip simply doesn't do that.

I am aware of that, but there is going to be pressure to go further.

They can't compel her to resign her seat, but they can publicly call for it.

Nippy probably has to, and hope she says no.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

Whilst I basically agree with you about Johnson's defence of Cummings, there are two major differences that make this very much easier for Sturgeon.

Firstly, reckless and arrogant as Cummings was and is, this is even further up the egregiousness scale - it's impossible to defend in any way, even a weak one.

In a fair and just world, that latter should not be a consideration.

That our lame duck PM is so dependent on an advisor is problem in itself. Just as we had with Mrs M and Fiona and Nick.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

They have no choice.

Government advice is very clear that if you have symptoms you should go home and stay home.

On public transport?

And doesn't she have a home in London?

If she'd driven the journey would be fair enough. Its the public transport that is awful - plus the going into Parliament while knowing you personally have symptoms of course.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    For those who excite themselves about Scottish by-election 😀

https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1311606783711088641?s=19
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489
    edited October 2020

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

They have no choice.

On public transport?

If she'd driven the journey would be fair enough. Its the public transport that is awful - plus the going into Parliament while knowing you personally have symptoms of course.
    Perhaps she needed a eye test before she could drive?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

They have no choice.

On public transport?

Perhaps she needed a eye test before she could drive?
    Not on public transport.
This discussion has been closed.