Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Time to be betting on Biden in Texas where new poll has him 3%

124»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    theProle said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Trump admitted to sexually assaulting women with his 'grab 'em by the pussy' comments and didn't harm him, are we sure these sucker comments will have any impact on his support?

Yes, I'd have thought so. The difference is this is a direct hit on the values of his supporters.
    They don't really care for those values. Why else would Evangelicals line up to vote for an adulterous pussy grabber who has never opened a Bible.
    Evangelicals like all Christians are very selective about what values they care about. There isn't a single Christian in the world who follows every value in the Bible, there can't be since a great many of them are contradictory. The Evangelicals more than many others are entirely selective. Respecting women's rights? Not top of their concerns.
    Of course there are, the Pope and Archbishop of Canterbury for a start, what a ridiculous statement, plus in any case Christianity recognises we are all sinners but you repent of your sins you do not celebrate them
    As an Evangelical, I would vote for Trump over Biden were I a Yank. Not because I think Trump is more moral than Biden, but because he's much more likely to allow religious freedom to continue, much more likely to be pro-life, much more likely to appoint SC justices who won't support anti-christian discrimination laws etc. That's the calculation if you're an Evangelical - you might think Biden is the nicer guy, but that's not what the election is about.
    It requires sacrificing a bit of moral righteousness, but it makes practical sense from their point of view.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Trump admitted to sexually assaulting women with his 'grab 'em by the pussy' comments and didn't harm him, are we sure these sucker comments will have any impact on his support?

Yes, I'd have thought so. The difference is this is a direct hit on the values of his supporters.
    They don't really care for those values. Why else would Evangelicals line up to vote for an adulterous pussy grabber who has never opened a Bible.
    Evangelicals like all Christians are very selective about what values they care about. There isn't a single Christian in the world who follows every value in the Bible, there can't be since a great many of them are contradictory. The Evangelicals more than many others are entirely selective. Respecting women's rights? Not top of their concerns.
    Of course there are, the Pope and Archbishop of Canterbury for a start, what a ridiculous statement, plus in any case Christianity recognises we are all sinners but you repent of your sins you do not celebrate them
    Its not a ridiculous statement and if you actually knew what the Bible says or had ever read it and not just cherrypicked passages then you would know that.

But if you cherrypick Bible passages like you cherrypick polls then you'll be fine.
    Oh it absolutely is a ridiculous statement, please show me all the bible passages which directly contradict each other then
    Do you observe all the dietary requirements set down in Leviticus and Deutoronomy?
  • Options
    SCon serial loser thinks he's found a winner.

https://twitter.com/IainMcGill/status/1301922642656735233?s=20
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,985

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

I hesitate to comment on US politics, but it feels like today may be quite a significant day in the presidential race ...
    https://twitter.com/mollyjongfast/status/1301930689084952577?s=21

Trump is a horrible piece of work but I thought his disgraceful abandonment of the Kurds would kill him with patriotic, veteran-loving America. It didn’t.
    Of course, it's perfectly possible that despite his disgraceful and disgusting comments that people still vote for him.
    Trump is also, ironically, quite right about Vietnam. A stupid war and the poor grunts that went there were “the suckers” who couldn’t evade service. This was because they were generally poor, often black.

Trump has a gift for saying audaciously true things in the most obnoxious way possible.
    One of Trump's strongest moments when he was running for the Republican party nomination was when he attacked George W. Bush over 9/11 and the war on terror in South Carolina. Received Republican wisdom was that it would sink his chances but it strengthened him.
    I think it’s more calling young men who gave their lives for their country “losers” that is the damaging part, rather than any implied critique of war in general.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited September 2020
    theProle said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

As an Evangelical, I would vote for Trump over Biden were I a Yank. Not because I think Trump is more moral than Biden, but because he's much more likely to allow religious freedom to continue, much more likely to be pro-life, much more likely to appoint SC justices who won't support anti-christian discrimination laws etc. That's the calculation if you're an Evangelical - you might think Biden is the nicer guy, but that's not what the election is about.
    Indeed, evangelicals have not gone for the Democratic candidate since they voted for Carter over Ford in 1976 and Trump won more votes in 2016 from evangelicals than even George W Bush did not because they thought he was a Saint but as he promised to push their values when in power
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

I hesitate to comment on US politics, but it feels like today may be quite a significant day in the presidential race ...

Trump is a horrible piece of work but I thought his disgraceful abandonment of the Kurds would kill him with patriotic, veteran-loving America. It didn’t.
    Of course, it's perfectly possible that despite his disgraceful and disgusting comments that people still vote for him.
    Trump is also, ironically, quite right about Vietnam. A stupid war and the poor grunts that went there were “the suckers” who couldn’t evade service. This was because they were generally poor, often black.

Trump has a gift for saying audaciously true things in the most obnoxious way possible.
    True. Both Trump and Biden managed 5 draft deferrals on medical grounds. Though John Kerry did serve, and delivered this electrifying speech to Congress when he returned. It was the truth.

https://youtu.be/yixdveuf0GQ

Had the Vietnam war ended up like the Korean war with the South still free from Communist invasion then it would not have been a mistake, the US just lost the will to fight it
    So what you're saying is if it were not for all the mistakes, then it would not have been a mistake? That if the facts had been different then things would have been different?
    Had they had the military will to keep the Vietcong out of South Vietnam they could have done, it was the Democrats in Congress who refused to fund the war that lost it for the US and forced Ford to pull out
    And if Xerxes had stayed in Greece after the Battle of Salamis maybe the Achaemenid Empire would still be with us today.
    If the Brits had not thrown in the towel at Yorktown, the USA would be much more like the UK. Discuss.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Its not a ridiculous statement and if you actually knew what the Bible says or had ever read it and not just cherrypicked passages then you would know that.

But if you cherrypick Bible passages like you cherrypick polls then you'll be fine.
    Oh it absolutely is a ridiculous statement, please show me all the bible passages which directly contradict each other then
    Well, starting at the beginning Genesis has two stories of creation with different chronologies.

That's an easy one.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,607

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Do you observe all the dietary requirements set down in Leviticus and Deutoronomy?
    Not to mention the prohibition on mixing fibres.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

True. Both Trump and Biden managed 5 draft deferrals on medical grounds. Though John Kerry did serve, and delivered this electrifying speech to Congress when he returned. It was the truth.

Had the Vietnam war ended up like the Korean war with the South still free from Communist invasion then it would not have been a mistake, the US just lost the will to fight it
    So what you're saying is if it were not for all the mistakes, then it would not have been a mistake? That if the facts had been different then things would have been different?
    Had they had the military will to keep the Vietcong out of South Vietnam they could have done, it was the Democrats in Congress who refused to fund the war that lost it for the US and forced Ford to pull out
    The USA had no military presence in Vietnam by the time Ford became President.

The ARVN were a rotten shell by then. No amount of further aid could have saved them after Nixon had pulled the troops out.

The war was totally lost by then, and indeed was probably always unwinnable.
    It was always unwinnabke because, as Macnamara belatedly realised, it was a war for Vietnamese independence, not for Vietnamese communism. The Vietnamese have a cordial loathing for the Chinese and no admiration for Russia, but they went with the commies because that was the best (only?) way of throwing off France, then America, and gaining powerful Allies to effect this.

As Macnamara said, America should have dropped refrigerators into Vietnamese homes rather than cluster bombs. Much cheaper. And Vietnam might now be a mostly pro western Asian democracy like South Korea, rather than still putatively Marxist.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Good god.

Those are dire numbers for Trumpton.
    Comissioned by a Republican PAC as well. I wonder what their motivation is for releasing them
    On the other hand

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1302003334191210498?s=20
    The link to the article says it is a 49-42 poll.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

God lifts those laws in the Book of Acts.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629

rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

He sounds sick and out of breath.
    He also says “deplorable”, his tears look a bit fake, and he says “backbown” rather than “backbone”.

I’m going out on a limb: I reckon Trump survives this.
    Of course he survives this.

However, what it does is make it that tiny bit harder for Trump to close the gap.
    Unless it allows Trump to frame the election as a referendum on US military interventions.
    He is running out of time to reframe an election that is less than 2 months from finishing and where early votes are already cast.

Those polls have only shifted by MOE over six months.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

All? I don't have the time to do all all of them, that would take a very long time.

You claimed the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Pope have followed "all" values in the Bible so lets pick one out, Exodus 31:15 "Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death."

Whom has the Pope or the Archbishop of Canterbury put to death for working on the Sabbath?
    So you have none then.

The Pope and the Archbishop both oppose Sunday trading, that passage does not say the priests must personally kill those working on a Sunday
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

All? I don't have the time to do all all of them, that would take a very long time.

You claimed the Archbishop of Canterbury and the Pope have followed "all" values in the Bible so lets pick one out, Exodus 31:15 "Six days may work be done; but in the seventh is the sabbath of rest, holy to the LORD: whosoever doeth any work in the sabbath day, he shall surely be put to death."

Whom has the Pope or the Archbishop of Canterbury put to death for working on the Sabbath?
    So you have none then.

The Pope and the Archbishop both oppose Sunday trading, that passage does not say the priests must personally kill those working on a Sunday
    BUt do they believe that people should be put to death for that offence?

But I thought people tended to just ignore the old testament anyway. God's early work, before he went pro.
  • Options
    Law and Order is an abysmal approach for Trump

But the Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll finds that 58 percent of voters say Biden would do a better job of curbing violence in cities and 57 percent say he'd do better addressing civil unrest. Fifty-nine percent say Biden is better equipped to solve the nation's issues on race and policing. By a margin of 54-46, Biden leads Trump on establishing law and order. Biden is viewed as the candidate best equipped to bring the country together by a 61-39 margin.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

The ARVN were a rotten shell by then. No amount of further aid could have saved them after Nixon had pulled the troops out.

It was lost by the Democratic congress under Nixon and Ford refusing to fund it
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Good god.

Comissioned by a Republican PAC as well. I wonder what their motivation is for releasing them
    On the other hand

'The 9 percent of likely voters who say they are unsure about who they will vote for lean toward Trump by a 58- to 42-percent margin.'
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2020
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

Not to mention the prohibition on mixing fibres.
    That's quite famous but also there's some real doozies in there that get ignored.

Deteronomy 22:23-24 if a man rapes a betrothed virgin then stone them both to death; the man because he humbled his neighbour by raping his betrothed, the woman because she didn't cry out loud enough to prevent the rape.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

But I thought people tended to just ignore the old testament anyway. God's early work, before he went pro.
    The ten commandments still the basis for many of our laws and morality today
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

The ten commandments still the basis for most of our laws and morality today
    And all the non-ten commandment bits?
  • Options
    And what's up with Philemon? My bible, which I own for some reason, has it listed as a book of the New Testament but it's less than a page long. Must be a doozy.
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

New Testament.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

At the time of the old testament there was no phones, internet, TV, radio, newspapers, no organised police force and frequent threat of attack by barbarians or criminals, the laws needed to be harsh to reflect that and maintain order
  • Options
    Alistair said:

But the Harvard CAPS-Harris Poll finds that 58 percent of voters say Biden would do a better job of curbing violence in cities and 57 percent say he'd do better addressing civil unrest. Fifty-nine percent say Biden is better equipped to solve the nation's issues on race and policing. By a margin of 54-46, Biden leads Trump on establishing law and order. Biden is viewed as the candidate best equipped to bring the country together by a 61-39 margin.

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Good god.

On the other hand

'The 9 percent of likely voters who say they are unsure about who they will vote for lean toward Trump by a 58- to 42-percent margin.'
    Seems a far cry from your contention earlier that undecideds will all go for Trump,

I suspect the Dems will be delighted to capture 42% of them.

I’m rather surprised the figure is so high.
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Good night, PB

Tomorrow, back to Blighty, the gods permitting.

Yamas.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

Lol.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

Absolutely not the case whatsoever. Our laws trace far more back to Graeco-Roman traditions than they do the absolutely awful ten commandments.

Of the ten commandments most of them are not laws. Those that are laws have been universal laws that have existed in all societies.
  • Options

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

Good god.

On the other hand

Seems a far cry from your contention earlier that undecideds will all go for Trump,

I suspect the Dems will be delighted to capture 42% of them.

I’m rather surprised the figure is so high.
    It still narrows his lead to 6% and that is on a 46% approval rating, Rasmussen today has Trump's rating up to 52%
    https://twitter.com/Rasmussen_Poll/status/1301880861483204608?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

At the time of the old testament there was no phones, internet, TV, radio, newspapers, no organised police force and frequent threat of attack by barbarians or criminals, the laws needed to be harsh to reflect that and maintain order
    In which book is the episode where some beardy geezer plays the big dog by turning water in wine?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

I wasn't judging the culture of the times in which they were written anymore than I'd condem Hammurabi, in fact why such rules develop is a fascinating insight into what concerned people in the times (was people being grabbed by the nuts such a big issue there needed to be a rule about it?), I was just noting that most of the contents is ignored.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    LadyG said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

The fact that the South Vietnamese government repeatedly lied to the US didn't help.
    Also, the Vietnam War was morally sapping. It eroded America’s self Regard. To simply avoid losing, America had to carpet bomb Cambodia and Laos (neutral countries), thus creating Pol Pot, they had to use Agent Orange to defoliate entire forests (creating 1000s of deformed kids). It was a disgusting war and even the most powerful nation in the world will, in the end, wince at its own depravity. America lost the war on American TV screens.

Walter Cronkite lost the war on TV
  • Options
    edited September 2020

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

Absolutely not the case whatsoever. Our laws trace far more back to Graeco-Roman traditions than they do the absolutely awful ten commandments.

Of the ten commandments most of them are not laws. Those that are laws have been universal laws that have existed in all societies.
    Of course not for you because you are a non conservative libertarian.

From thou shall not kill to thou shall not steal to thou shall not commit adultery they remain true today, plenty of ancient Greeks had sex with teenage boys, committed regular adultery with little moral concern, the Romans had slaves and crucified people and had multiple Gods, we still only have one.

We got democracy from Greece and some philosophy and good central heating and architecture from Rome, not modern day law and morality
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

No, the policy of Vietnamisation came straight from the Nixon White House, indeed Nixon campaigned on it in 68.

Though @LadyG is correct, few Americans who could get out of it went to Vietnam. It was the poor and uneducated that were the cannon fodder. Trump, Biden, Bill Clinton, Dubya all wangled their way out. McCain and Kerry went and fought, coming back as changed men, but a fat lot of good it did them electorally.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Monkeys said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

New Testament.
    Which was my point (as Philip was quoting Exodus).
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    Trump has no loyalty to his people. A major character flaw.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

The Ten Commandments are just an edited rip-off of the Egyptian 42 "Negative Confessions". Remember that Moses was brought up as part of the Egyptian Court.

• Options
    LadyG said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

It was always unwinnabke because, as Macnamara belatedly realised, it was a war for Vietnamese independence, not for Vietnamese communism. The Vietnamese have a cordial loathing for the Chinese and no admiration for Russia, but they went with the commies because that was the best (only?) way of throwing off France, then America, and gaining powerful Allies to effect this.

As Macnamara said, America should have dropped refrigerators into Vietnamese homes rather than cluster bombs. Much cheaper. And Vietnam might now be a mostly pro western Asian democracy like South Korea, rather than still putatively Marxist.
    Probably the only thing which might have made a difference would have been the US helping remove France as a colonial occupier after the war (rather than spending more propping up the French colonial occupation than they did on aid for the reconstruction of France).

If you don’t have at a minimum the grudging acquiescence of the populace, it really doesn’t matter how much you spend on fighting the war to hang on to their territory.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

LadyG said:

LadyG said:

No, the policy of Vietnamisation came straight from the Nixon White House, indeed Nixon campaigned on it in 68.

Though @LadyG is correct, few Americans who could get out of it went to Vietnam. It was the poor and uneducated that were the cannon fodder. Trump, Biden, Bill Clinton, Dubya all wangled their way out. McCain and Kerry went and fought, coming back as changed men, but a fat lot of good it did them electorally.
    Nixon massively expanded bombing as President and increased troops, Vietnamisation also required Congress to fund South Vietnamese troops and equipment
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

The Ten Commandments are just an edited rip-off of the Egyptian 42 "Negative Confessions". Remember that Moses was brought up as part of the Egyptian Court.

Good editing can make all the difference. But I think Moses might prefer the term 'reimagining' to 'rip-off', if indeed you are correct.

Pleasant night to all.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

From thou shall not kill to thou shall not steal to thou shall not commit adultery they remain true today, plenty of ancient Greeks had sex with teenage boys, committed regular adultery with little moral concern, the Romans had slaves and crucified people and had multiple Gods, we still only have one.

We got democracy from Greece and some philosophy and good central heating and architecture from Rome, not modern day law and morality
    LOL.
    Where do you think Europe got Christianity from ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

LOL.
    Not ancient Greece and Christ and his disciples were Jewish not Roman
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

LOL.
    ALso thank goodness our christian societies had no slavery, which was got from the nasty Romans.

I mean, of course our culture and society in so many aspects is heavily influenced by our historic christiantiy, but it is possible to overdo it!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

LOL.
    As I said above, The Ten Commandments are just an edited rip-off of the Egyptian 42 "Negative Confessions". Remember that Moses was brought up as part of the Egyptian Court.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

LOL.
    Civis Romanus sum...
  • Options
    edited September 2020

The idea the "10 commandments" are "the basis for many of our laws and morality today" is absolutely bonkers.

Going through them.
    1: Thou shalt have no other Gods before me - Rather self-centred this surely? Not a law
    2: Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven imagery - Not a law
    3: Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain - Jesus Christ yet another thing that is not a law
    4: Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy - Not a law. Nor do we execute those who work on the sabbath as demanded by Exodus 31:15
    5: Honour thy father and thy mother - Not a law, but finally something that's actually good morals. Also been a universal custom in every known society around the entire globe and is not unique at all.
    6: Thou shalt not kill - Finally an actual law! Of course this is not unique it is also a law in every other society too and predates both Judaism and Christianity.
    7: Thou shalt not commit adultery - Not a law again. Good, universal morals. Not unique
    8: Thou shalt not steal. - A second law! Again universal, all societies say this.
    9: Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour - Lying isn't a crme, though it can be so I'll let this one slide. Again though like all the good ones this is entirely universal.
    10: Thou shalt not covet - Not a law. Goes against the entire basis of our modern capitalist economic system too.

So 2-3 actual laws, which are universal to all societies. Not the basis of anything.

The basis of our laws is Graeco-Roman traditions and thinking dating back to the Hammurabi Code and earlier.

Most religions today have only 1 God as does our established church. It is considered rude to swear. Sunday trading is still restricted to only 6 hours in the UK. Yes we support the family and children respecting their parents.

Murder is illegal. Adultery even now is considered a moral taboo (and my original statement was law and morality today), stealing is against the law, lying in court is illegal and envy of others is a Corbynite trait, if you are capitalist you create wealth yourself.

If the basis of our laws and society were Greco-Roman sex with teenage boys would be legal, adultery would be accepted, we would have slaves and crucify criminals.

The code of Hammurabi had different punishments whether you were male or female, slave or free and on your social status which we certainly don't have and was Babylonian not Greek or Roman anyway
  • Options
    Most religions have one god is about religion not the law. You claimed the law. Only 3 of those things were laws.

Our laws have evolved from Graeco-Roman laws, anyone who has studied anything about history or the evolution of our laws would know that.

Killing criminals is supported throughout the Bible as is slavery. The 10th commandment includes not covetting thy neighbours slave!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited September 2020
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

I wasn't judging the culture of the times in which they were written anymore than I'd condem Hammurabi, in fact why such rules develop is a fascinating insight into what concerned people in the times (was people being grabbed by the nuts such a big issue there needed to be a rule about it?), I was just noting that most of the contents is ignored.
    The issue is that laws of the time may have made sense in the time. The problem is when people try to treat those laws of the time as some universal godly truth that is still relevant to today and claim that "thou shalt not covet thy neighbours slave" is relevant today. Or more likely airbrush that part out as its embarrassing.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    @HYUFD what on earth are you trying to argue? Christianity is not relevant whatsoever to modern British society and thank “god” for that.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Most religions have one god is about religion not the law. You claimed the law. Only 3 of those things were laws.

Our laws have evolved from Graeco-Roman laws, anyone who has studied anything about history or the evolution of our laws would know that.

Killing criminals is supported throughout the Bible as is slavery. The 10th commandment includes not covetting thy neighbours slave!

The ten commandments still the basis for many of our laws and morality today is what I said, not just laws.

We had the death penalty until the late 1960s, we did not crucify people.

Jesus, the main prophet of Christianity, told us to love our neighbours and ourselves and in the parable of the Good Samaritan made clear that included those considered the lowest of the human race as the Samaritans then were. Jesus and his disciples had no slaves
  • Options
    edited September 2020

@HYUFD what on earth are you trying to argue? Christianity is not relevant whatsoever to modern British society and thank “god” for that.

It isn't to atheist secular liberal leftwingers like you and libertarians like Philip Thompson no, it is to conservatives like me and many old school socialists like Justin124 and indeed to the third of the global population who are Christians
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The ten commandments still the basis for many of our laws and morality today is what I said, not just laws.

Jesus, the main prophet of Christianity, told us to love our neighbours and ourselves and in the parable of the Good Samaritan made clear that included those considered the lowest of the human race as the Samaritans then were
    So you're precisely doing what I said people do all along, you're cherrypicking the parts that you like and ignoring the rest as its embarrassing. Your beloved "10 commandments" includes not covetting thy neighbours slave - do you honestly think not covetting thy neighbours slave is a great moral to live by?

Exodus 31:15 Do you really think stoning those who work on the sabbath is a great moral to live by?

Deuteronomy 22:23-24 Do you think that women who are raped should be stoned to death for not shouting loud enough to prevent their rape?

Should we not rejoice when our enemy falls (Proverbs 24:17) or should we rejoice "The righteous shall rejoice when he when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked." (Psalm 58:10)

I could go on.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

It isn't to atheist secular liberal leftwingers like you and libertarians like Philip Thompson no, it is to conservatives like me and many old school socialists like Justin124 and indeed to the third of the global population who are Christians
    You’re a tiny, dying minority in this country though. I see that as a good thing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The law applies to us all, not what we believe - and the law has evolved from Graeco-Roman traditions. Neither Christianity nor Judaism introduced a law that we shall not murder, that law was already there.

You may think that commandments like "thou shalt not covet thy neighbours slave" are great ways for you to live you life. Fine, good for you. They are not the basis of our legal system though.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

You’re a tiny, dying minority in this country though. I see that as a good thing.
    There are 2.3 billion Christians globally growing fastest amongst the black population and also strong in Poland and the rising Polish population and the high fertility black population in the UK will take it forward.

Atheists like you are a small minority globally. I see that as a good thing.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jesus, the main prophet of Christianity, told us to love our neighbours and ourselves and in the parable of the Good Samaritan made clear that included those considered the lowest of the human race as the Samaritans then were
    So you're precisely doing what I said people do all along, you're cherrypicking the parts that you like and ignoring the rest as its embarrassing. Your beloved "10 commandments" includes not covetting thy neighbours slave - do you honestly think not covetting thy neighbours slave is a great moral to live by?

Exodus 31:15 Do you really think stoning those who work on the sabbath is a great moral to live by?

Deuteronomy 22:23-24 Do you think that women who are raped should be stoned to death for not shouting loud enough to prevent their rape?

Should we not rejoice when our enemy falls (Proverbs 24:17) or should we rejoice "The righteous shall rejoice when he when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked." (Psalm 58:10)

I could go on.
    Which is still not contradiction, just reflects the harsh climate punishment wise of the period of the Old Testament.

The Old Testament of course is just the first book of the Bible and shared with Jews and indeed in parts relating to Abraham with Muslims too, the New Testament is the only exclusively Christian bit of the Bible
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,627
    "Competence matters, and Johnson hasn’t got it

Support for the government remains strong, but it has gained a dangerous reputation for incompetence"

https://www.economist.com/britain/2020/09/05/competence-matters-and-johnson-hasnt-got-it
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

LOL.
    St Paul says hello.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

LOL.
    St Paul says hello.
    St Paul was from a devout Jewish family in Tarsus, modern day Turkey
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

LOL.
    St Paul says hello.
    Moses was brought up as an Egyptian. As I said above, The Ten Commandments are just an edited rip-off of the Egyptian 42 "Negative Confessions".
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Quality of life for many ordinary people in Western countries has gone down since the 1990s. That's why things like Trump and Brexit have happened. It's not just a question of material wellbeing though, it's lots of other types of wellbeing as well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

LOL.
    St Paul says hello.
    A Greek speaking Roman citizen. Why was the New Testament written in Greek?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

So you have none then.

LOL.
    St Paul says hello.
    A Greek speaking Roman citizen. Why was the New Testament written in Greek?
    He was born a Jew, he may have acquired Roman citizenship through Tarsus being a free city as designated by Rome and the privileges it brought but he was not Roman by blood, the fact he spoke Greek also does not mean Christianity came from Ancient Greece which was well before Jesus' time
  • Options
    "Politics Podcast: If Biden Wins The Popular Vote By 2-3 Points, He Isn’t Favored To Win The Electoral College
    By Galen Druke and Nate Silver"

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/politics-podcast-if-biden-wins-the-popular-vote-by-2-3-points-he-isnt-favored-to-win-the-electoral-college/
  • Options
    David Herdson latest just published
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282

We had America to send anyone who was excessively religious. Although maybe we didn’t fully think through the longer term consequences.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Civis Romanus sum...

Irrelevant.

Around 30 AD, most people born in the Roman Empire didn't have Roman citizenship, though there were a number of ways they could acquire citizenship (like being born free in a city recognised as "free", paying for citizenship or serving in the Roman army).

We don't know how Paul (probably born in the "free colony" of Tarsus) acquired citizenship: in fact we don't actually know he had it (he merely claimed to have it). We can, however be reasonably sure that Christ and his original band of disciples didn't: there are next to no records of Galileans at the time with Roman citizenship.
This discussion has been closed.