Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another leading Republican declares for Biden

Comments

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,711
    IanB2 said:

In other news: HS2 has announced the formal start of construction of the high-speed rail line between London and the West Midlands, which it claims will create 22,000 jobs.

The prime minister, Boris Johnson, was expected to attend a ceremonial launch of the first shovels in the ground on Friday for the main civil engineering contracts

Do we still need HS2?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,040
    Andy_JS said:

Do we still need HS2?

BoZo needs it to satisfy his edifice complex.

Can't unveil a plaque with his name on it if it doesn't get built...
  • Options
    If the current Brexit reporting is accurate, BoZo really will crash out of the EU with no deal so that in an imagined future Cummings can bung taxpayer cash at his favoured chums in the tech industry.

How anyone who calls themselves a Conservative still supports these clowns is incredible.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,013
    Scott_xP said:
    If I'm hiring someone to - for example - be a Javascript developer, then their views on the moon landing, homeopathy, Brexit, gay marriage, and whether you should put milk in before or after the water with tea are entirely beside the point.

Now. If you choose to use my office as a propaganda zone to push your agenda, we're going to have a problem. But your views on things peripheral to your job - on which God (if any you believe in), on Tottenham Hotspur or anything else - should not affect whether you are hired or not. Whether you can do a good job is the only criteria that matters.

Here, not his views on climate change or gay marriage, I have a problem. Other than signing trade deals that were largely complete when he took over as Prime Minister of Australia, what evidence is there that he brings anythin to the table at all?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

In other news: HS2 has announced the formal start of construction of the high-speed rail line between London and the West Midlands, which it claims will create 22,000 jobs.

The prime minister, Boris Johnson, was expected to attend a ceremonial launch of the first shovels in the ground on Friday for the main civil engineering contracts

Do we still need HS2?
    22,00? BEIS have admitted in a Parliamentary answer that building a series of tidal lagoons would produce 57,000 jobs over the coming decade. It's nearer to 80,000, with thousands of apprentices, but its an admission.

It would require virtually no public money - the equivalent of maybe 150 yards of HS2 track. At the end of it, you would have a baseload capacity of zero carbon electricity for the next 120 years. At prices to the consumer at least 40% cheaper than nuclear baseload. And with no storage of waste issues. No massive abandonment cost issues. No security of sites issues. No security of supply issues. No interruptions by someone turning off the gas pipelines. And no risk of laying waste to a large portion of the country if it should go Chernobyl wrong. Not forgetting it has 85% domestic spend - unlike other renewables where imports of kit are 60 - 90% of the project costs.

Plus a whole series of left behind places in south Wales, north Wales, Lancashire, Cumbria - places the Tories need to hold onto - having been regenerated. As well as jobs all along the supply chain in the Red Wall seats.

All blocked by a handful of officials in BEIS. Because it isn't nuclear.

Having promoted tidal power on his leadership campaign tour, Boris's failure to wade in and make this happen is damning.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Trump has this one single redeeming feature amongst all the terribleness, he doesn't delete his tweets
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259

Scott_xP said:
    Trump has this one single redeeming feature amongst all the terribleness, he doesn't delete his tweets

he seems to delete loads if the following is anything to go by, which makes the ones left up even more troubling if anything
    https://factba.se/topic/deleted-tweets
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Do we still need HS2?
    22,00? BEIS have admitted in a Parliamentary answer that building a series of tidal lagoons would produce 57,000 jobs over the coming decade. It's nearer to 80,000, with thousands of apprentices, but its an admission.

It would require virtually no public money - the equivalent of maybe 150 yards of HS2 track. At the end of it, you would have a baseload capacity of zero carbon electricity for the next 120 years. At prices to the consumer at least 40% cheaper than nuclear baseload. And with no storage of waste issues. No massive abandonment cost issues. No security of sites issues. No security of supply issues. No interruptions by someone turning off the gas pipelines. And no risk of laying waste to a large portion of the country if it should go Chernobyl wrong. Not forgetting it has 85% domestic spend - unlike other renewables where imports of kit are 60 - 90% of the project costs.

Plus a whole series of left behind places in south Wales, north Wales, Lancashire, Cumbria - places the Tories need to hold onto - having been regenerated. As well as jobs all along the supply chain in the Red Wall seats.

Having promoted tidal power on his leadership campaign tour, Boris's failure to wade in and make this happen is damning.
    is not damming, Shirley.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Do we still need HS2?

You make a very good case, and I'm all in favour renewable energy. But if the case is so strong why isn't it happening - is the nuclear lobby really so strong?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:
    If I'm hiring someone to - for example - be a Javascript developer, then their views on the moon landing, homeopathy, Brexit, gay marriage, and whether you should put milk in before or after the water with tea are entirely beside the point.

Now. If you choose to use my office as a propaganda zone to push your agenda, we're going to have a problem. But your views on things peripheral to your job - on which God (if any you believe in), on Tottenham Hotspur or anything else - should not affect whether you are hired or not. Whether you can do a good job is the only criteria that matters.

Here, not his views on climate change or gay marriage, I have a problem. Other than signing trade deals that were largely complete when he took over as Prime Minister of Australia, what evidence is there that he brings anythin to the table at all?
    I think if you were a prime minister, hiring a very controversial former prime minister of another country to do anything even Javascript developer, then you are obviously making a controversial political appointment, even in the unlikely case that the person in question was a really good Javascript developer.

In the case of Abbott his record and views on things like environmental protection, climate change, and workers' rights are extremely relevant to the post of trade envoy. If I were on the EU side, I would take it as a signal that the UK intends to undercut the EU in those areas, and further evidence not to believe any promises that the UK government has made. So probably unhelpful if you want to actually negotiate a deal.
  • Options
    kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Do we still need HS2?

You make a very good case, and I'm all in favour renewable energy. But if the case is so strong why isn't it happening - is the nuclear lobby really so strong?
    It would seem so. Embedded across Government.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Do we still need HS2?
    The enthusiasts will still swear blind that the extra capacity is needed, but the likely large permanent reduction in commuting makes that debatable at best.

The London to Birmingham section will get built regardless, however. It's already underway, so there are issues of sunk costs, and nor can the current Government boot it into the long grass with a convenient review like the remainder of the project. It's being used to generate employment and contracts to dole out to construction firms, and the West Midlands metro mayor (up for re-election next Spring) is an enthusiast.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709
    IshmaelZ said:

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Do we still need HS2?

is not damming, Shirley.
    We need to neap this in the bud.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

I think if you were a prime minister, hiring a very controversial former prime minister of another country to do anything even Javascript developer, then you are obviously making a controversial political appointment, even in the unlikely case that the person in question was a really good Javascript developer.

In the case of Abbott his record and views on things like environmental protection, climate change, and workers' rights are extremely relevant to the post of trade envoy. If I were on the EU side, I would take it as a signal that the UK intends to undercut the EU in those areas, and further evidence not to believe any promises that the UK government has made. So probably unhelpful if you want to actually negotiate a deal.
    Correct of course, although to date that isn't the case against him that has been made. It's a much stronger one, too, than that he has 'unpopular' views on something or other.
    For the avoidance of doubt, I agree with Mr Kamski!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

But he is not some backroom developer.

He will explicitly be an ambassador. The person fronting for your organization.

You might take a view that if they have a swastika tattooed on their neck they might not be the best person for the job, regardless of their skill
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Do we still need HS2?
    The enthusiasts will still swear blind that the extra capacity is needed, but the likely large permanent reduction in commuting makes that debatable at best.

The London to Birmingham section will get built regardless, however. It's already underway, so there are issues of sunk costs, and nor can the current Government boot it into the long grass with a convenient review like the remainder of the project. It's being used to generate employment and contracts to dole out to construction firms, and the West Midlands metro mayor (up for re-election next Spring) is an enthusiast.
    One of the major plus points of HS2 was to remove long distance trains from the fast tracks, allowing potentially a tripling of commuter seats from places like Milton Keynes into London.

I think it’s clear that if you reran the cost-benefit calcs with updated commuting patterns, HS2 Phase 1 would be dead on arrival, even if the new fast long distance services are likely to be very well used themselves - a rebalancing of the economy implies more not less long distance travel. Countered of course by reduced short distance commuting into London, and very likely reduced short distance train travel everywhere if/when autonomous EVs come to market.

As you say, contractual commitments on phase 1 no doubt mean it’s now worth building regardless, particularly given it’s a shovel ready bit of Keynesianism with supply side benefits too.

Perversely enough, the second phase may still get built anyway, given it’s now so closely tied to HS3, which is all about regional regeneration and journey times rather than capacity.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

I'm in a somewhat conflicted position.

If the SNP win next year, I think they are entitled to their referendum. I won't take a position on that but I hope they stay. But I can totally see why they would vote to go.

But that makes the chance of Labour getting back into office quite challenging - and living in England it's then more Tory rule.

We really need to not be relying on the SNP, it seems very risky.

I can’t see English and Welsh voters thanking the Tories for breaking up the country?
    It rather depends, under those circumstances, on how many voters in England and Wales are going to blame the Government for losing Scotland, how many of them are going to blame the Scots for pulling the plug, and how many may not be that bothered one way or the other.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Even fanboi Iain Martin has started to realise BoZo is an empty suit...

My suspicion is that these Whitehall spats about control and mischievous civil servants, and the attempts by the No 10 chief adviser Dominic Cummings to exert authority at the centre, are merely intended to obscure the troubling reality that Boris spent a lifetime wanting to be prime minister but, one year into the job, still doesn’t know what to do with it.

This autumn, he had better find out and organise a plan, soon.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/tory-tax-muddle-exposes-a-lack-of-direction-h8bhlkh0r
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

You might take a view that if they have a swastika tattooed on their neck they might not be the best person for the job, regardless of their skill
    Does gay marriage tend to come up in discussions about trade. I mean, it’s not like he walks round wearing a sign saying he opposes gay marriage.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    moonshine said:

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Do we still need HS2?

One of the major plus points of HS2 was to remove long distance trains from the fast tracks, allowing potentially a tripling of commuter seats from places like Milton Keynes into London.

I think it’s clear that if you reran the cost-benefit calcs with updated commuting patterns, HS2 Phase 1 would be dead on arrival, even if the new fast long distance services are likely to be very well used themselves - a rebalancing of the economy implies more not less long distance travel. Countered of course by reduced short distance commuting into London, and very likely reduced short distance train travel everywhere if/when autonomous EVs come to market.

As you say, contractual commitments on phase 1 no doubt mean it’s now worth building regardless, particularly given it’s a shovel ready bit of Keynesianism with supply side benefits too.

Perversely enough, the second phase may still get built anyway, given it’s now so closely tied to HS3, which is all about regional regeneration and journey times rather than capacity.
    Good news if we finally get some modern fast railways before I die. Those in Europe put our network to shame.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008

IanB2 said:

If the SNP win next year, I think they are entitled to their referendum. I won't take a position on that but I hope they stay. But I can totally see why they would vote to go.

But that makes the chance of Labour getting back into office quite challenging - and living in England it's then more Tory rule.

I can’t see English and Welsh voters thanking the Tories for breaking up the country?
    It rather depends, under those circumstances, on how many voters in England and Wales are going to blame the Government for losing Scotland, how many of them are going to blame the Scots for pulling the plug, and how many may not be that bothered one way or the other.
    If (and I don't expect I will know for sure) Scotland does get it's independence and makes a success of it, it might well strengthen Plaid Cymru's position.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Does gay marriage tend to come up in discussions about trade. I mean, it’s not like he walks round wearing a sign saying he opposes gay marriage.

Does misogyny if the counterparts are women?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Welsh voters in particular might react with concern at the Conservatives jetisonning Scotland and Northern Ireland. Some English voters too but for the Welsh, the challenge would be existential.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    Well, I must say I am shocked, truly shocked, that she would say such a thing.

I mean, come off it. The SNP does what it says on the tin. Were you to ask Sturgeon whether or not the wind blowing in from the West this morning strengthens the case for independence then she would say yes.
    No doubt, but this does not mean Sturgeon is wrong in this instance.
  • Options

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Correct of course, although to date that isn't the case against him that has been made. It's a much stronger one, too, than that he has 'unpopular' views on something or other.
    It is perhaps also worthwhile looking at how recent Australia trade policy has worked

" In 2018, Australia’s trade surplus with China (A$58.26 billion) amounted to more than 250 percent of its total trade surplus (A$23.23 billion), indicating that Australia ran a trade deficit with many of its trading partners (such as the U.S., the U.K. and ASEAN). China accounted for more than 31 percent of Australia’s total exports, and Australia’s bilateral trade with China (A$214.86 billion) was also much larger than that with its second trading partner, Japan (A$85.78 billion). "

https://thediplomat.com/2020/05/can-australia-flatten-the-curve-of-its-economic-dependence-on-china/

In effect, Australia has become a mine, farm and holiday spot for the Chinese, and to a lesser extent other Asian countries. In 2008 there were 4 car manufacturers in Australia, now there are none. Industrial production peaked at 25% of the economy in the Sixties, but now is back below 10%, and that manufacturing mostly food processing and mineral processing.

I have my doubts about these policies in relation to Australia for the long term, but whether they are applicable to the different economy of the UK is very doubtful indeed.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited September 2020
    EPG said:

Snyder and friends give permission to Republicans to vote Biden. I fear what many of them are looking for is, instead, permission to vote Trump.

Jebus. Is there is any piece of news that PB does not try to argue is actually favourable for Trump?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898
    edited September 2020
    Scott_xP said:

Oh dear. Even fanboi Iain Martin has started to realise BoZo is an empty suit...

My suspicion is that these Whitehall spats about control and mischievous civil servants, and the attempts by the No 10 chief adviser Dominic Cummings to exert authority at the centre, are merely intended to obscure the troubling reality that Boris spent a lifetime wanting to be prime minister but, one year into the job, still doesn’t know what to do with it.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/tory-tax-muddle-exposes-a-lack-of-direction-h8bhlkh0r

Did none of these people realise that Boris Johnson's prime motivation was simply to become prime minister, to acchieve the top job, to have the address 10 Downing Street? He was not and is not a politician with a vision of how the country should be run. This was blatantly obvious in 2019, but a majority of tory MPs tory members and UK constituencies chose him despite that.

That's fair enough, but it is hypocritical for Johnson supporters to now complain that "Boris spent a lifetime wanting to be prime minister but, one year into the job, still doesn’t know what to do with it."

Edit to add: If anyone claims "Brexit is his vision" I reply that Brexit was his opportunity to get to 10 Downing Street, and that having been a Key proponent in the referendem, he thought it should be carried through. A true Brexiteer like Farage he was not.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

EPG said:

Snyder and friends give permission to Republicans to vote Biden. I fear what many of them are looking for is, instead, permission to vote Trump.

Jebus. Is there is any piece of news that PB does not try to argue is actually favourable for Trump?
    I'm waiting for how trump repeatedly talking about the strokes he didn't have and bad mouthing the military dead is good for him
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Scott_xP said:

Did none of these people realise that Boris Johnson's prime motivation was simply to become prime minister, to acchieve the top job, to have the address 10 Downing Street? He was not and is not a politician with a vision of how the country should be run. This was blatantly obvious in 2019, but a majority of tory MPs tory members and UK constituencies chose him despite that.

That's fair enough, but it is hypocritical for Johnson supporters to now complain that "Boris spent a lifetime wanting to be prime minister but, one year into the job, still doesn’t know what to do with it."
    Indeed. We all knew what BoZo was like, but the Tories chose the chaotic clown anyway. They have no grounds to complain.
  • Options

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

Yes, on the narrower case that he shouldn't get the job because he campaigned against same sex marriage I think it's less clear. For the sake of argument let's say that this does not have any direct relevance to the job of trade envoy.

People claiming it's just like excluding anyone with unpopular views from any government job are obviously wrong. This is the former prime minister of Australia, someone who is quite well-known, and well-known for his controversial views.

If an unknown Australian who was a senior negotiator in their trade negotiations was appointed, and then people found some anti same sex marriage tweets from this person from 15 years ago, those "unpopular" views wouldn't be very relevant.

At the other extreme, say Donald Trump signed the biggest trade deal in history with China next month, then lost the election. If Johnson then gave Trump a job as trade envoy, I think people would be quite right to say "you can't give Trump a job because he is a racist"

Would anyone be saying "his racism is irrelevant to the job, he's got the job because he got this amazing trade deal with China, people are just using his racism as an excuse to attack him because he is rightwing and pro-Brexit"?

Well obviously the extreme members of the Johnson personality cult would, but what would you think of such an argument?
  • Options

Actually, if you take the view that homophobia and misogyny are anachronisms with no place in the modern World, then perhaps Abbott is the perfect ambassador for Brexit after all...
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited September 2020

IanB2 said:

The consequences of the break-up of the UK for England have not yet been engaged with in any serious way. But it's hard to see people just shrugging their shoulders as the country they were born into comes to an end. Everything from symbols through to power structures will be called into serious quesiton, and will have to be rethought. What sense will the Union Flag make, for example, if the Union no longer exists?

It's ironic that Brexit is more likely to lead to the break-up of the UK than the EU.
  • Options
    Shapps the TV whipping boy again.

On previous form that means the Abbott appointment will be denounced (they already announced he was appointed) before the end of the day
  • Options

IanB2 said:

The consequences of the break-up of the UK for England have not yet been engaged with in any serious way. But it's hard to see people just shrugging their shoulders as the country they were born into comes to an end. Everythin from symbols through to power structures will be called into quesitons, and will have to be rethought. What sense will the Union Flag make, for example, if the Union no lomger exists?
    More pointedly, the struggles over Brexit have made it clear exactly how hard it is for a small country to split off from a larger entity.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

The day ending in 'y' strengthens the case for Scottish independence, according to Sturgeon.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

rcs1000 said:

Tony Abbott may not like it, but quite a few senior decsion-makers these days are women. There are also a fair few who believe that global warming is not a hoax.

• Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898
    edited September 2020

EPG said:

You make the common mistake of thinking that every post is "the opinion of PB".
    Actually there are very few Trump supporters who regularly post here. There are a few fans, but at least one seems to be a US Trump supporter who wants to promote Trump on a UK betting forum.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    eristdoof said:

Scott_xP said:

Edit to add: If anyone claims "Brexit is his vision" I reply that Brexit was his opportunity to get to 10 Downing Street, and that having been a Key proponent in the referendem, he thought it should be carried through. A true Brexiteer like Farage he was not.
    Just wanted the job is true of every pm since Thatcher.
  • Options
    Trump is very upset about the French cemetery story

They issued a rebuttal email that claims the choppers couldn't fly, so there would be a motorcade instead, which Trump didn't take...
  • Options

EPG said:

у них есть свои инструкции
  • Options
    If ever a man were properly names it's Mr Snide
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Actually, if you take the view that homophobia and misogyny are anachronisms with no place in the modern World, then perhaps Abbott is the perfect ambassador for Brexit after all...
    To be fair, most of the countries that he plans to negotiate with are run by misogynistic, homophobic climate denialists too.

A bit more scrutiny on how Australia became a Chinese economic colony and less on his ill informed social views would be wise.
  • Options

kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Do we still need HS2?

Depressing. Is it that the UK "needs" to stay in the nuclear power game for military/status reasons?
  • Options
    Headline on the BBC website:

“All I remember is locking the butler in the fridge”.

How many get the reference?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    So, that "oven ready deal" with its Irish protocol has already conceeded on state aid and also on European adjudication?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,262
    edited September 2020
    I'm confused. How can a blind-loyal to Johnson person claim to be a staunch unionist? What is Unionist about sticking a border down the Irish Sea so that you have to make customs declarations to send goods between one part of the UK and another?

Is the "Union" being referred to England? Because its certainly not the UK.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

So, that "oven ready deal" with its Irish protocol has already conceeded on state aid and also on European adjudication?

I guess like IDS, BoZo forgot to read it...
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

They issued a rebuttal email that claims the choppers couldn't fly, so there would be a motorcade instead, which Trump didn't take...

The thing is whether the truth is exactly as reported by Atlantic or not, it rings true. Trump tweeting furiously about it just makes sure everybody hears about it.

Generally, I think there seems to be a good propaganda case for making claims that have inaccuracies and exaggerations, trying to get the other side to make a big fuss about the innaccuracies thus drawing everyone's attention to the gist of the story.

I'm not saying the Atlantic story is inaccurate, though it is a bit hearsay-ish.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

I guess like IDS, BoZo forgot to read it...
    Indeed, the only way to Brexit properly requires Irish reunification, that much has been obvious for a while.
  • Options

I'm confused. How can a blind-loyal to Johnson person claim to be a staunch unionist? What is Unionist about sticking a border down the Irish Sea so that you have to make customs declarations to send goods between one part of the UK and another?

A Tory minister earlier in the week did refer to Westminster as the “English Parliament”
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,009
    Scott_xP said:

VH-60N white top absolutely can fly in those conditions - there was no icing danger and northern France isn't exactly mountainous for challenging VFR conditions. Whether or not you'd choose to do it with a VVIP on board is another question.
  • Options
    coachcoach Posts: 250
    Can somebody help me out with Abbott please, if he opposes same sex marriage that's fair enough (I don't, for the records) but is he a misogynist?

Its become difficult to tell if accusations are true, a bit like when somebody is called a racist. And please, I'm not defending a bloke I know little about, just asking for evidence rather than allegations.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    kamski said:

Scott_xP said:

The thing is whether the truth is exactly as reported by Atlantic or not, it rings true. Trump tweeting furiously about it just makes sure everybody hears about it.

Generally, I think there seems to be a good propaganda case for making claims that have inaccuracies and exaggerations, trying to get the other side to make a big fuss about the innaccuracies thus drawing everyone's attention to the gist of the story.

I'm not saying the Atlantic story is inaccurate, though it is a bit hearsay-ish.
    Have you heard the Kelly story?

https://twitter.com/YAppelbaum/status/1301636056333389830?s=19
  • Options
    As an English bloke I'd love Scottish independence, a million or so Scots have a disproportionate say on things. If Boris had any sense, which is a moot point, he'd grant it and ensure a Conservative govt in perpetuity. That wouldn't be a good thing but it would mean I don't have to put up with Sturgeon any longer so the pay off is worth it.
  • Options
    coach said:

Can somebody help me out with Abbott please, if he opposes same sex marriage that's fair enough (I don't, for the records) but is he a misogynist?

Its become difficult to tell if accusations are true, a bit like when somebody is called a racist. And please, I'm not defending a bloke I know little about, just asking for evidence rather than allegations.

He made a comment about explaining to housewives that ironing would become more expensive in the context of green taxes.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    If you ask the question the other way round - what state aid out with EU rules WOULD be allowed, the answer is more eye opening still. GB would have to structure any such state aid so that no benefit accrues to NI. So for the Nissan example, were they to be given such state aid, there might need to be a clause that no part of their supply chain is based in NI.

I know the world has changed but, compared with the May deal 2 years ago, this still feels like a mighty odd ditch for the Tories to lay down in.
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

Andy_JS said:

IanB2 said:

Do we still need HS2?

Depressing. Is it that the UK "needs" to stay in the nuclear power game for military/status reasons?
    I suspect that is the argument it quietly makes. But their blocking of the UK using tidal power is a massive hidden cost to having nuclear subs. It's like saying yes, we have found a lot of oil under the North Sea - but you have to leave it there.

Harder to hide would be the cost of the UK having a Chernobyl-type incident. Then you are talking trillions to put it right, not the hundreds of billions for Covid. And that all has to be underwritten by the taxpayer - paying premiums to over off that eventuality would make nuclear power uneconomic.
  • Options

Tory Unionism is largely about England. The UK and England are seen as synonymous. The UK gives the Tory English establishment its international calling card. Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are appendages, no more.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

coach said:

He made a comment about explaining to housewives that ironing would become more expensive in the context of green taxes.
    Thanks, I guessed it would be something trivial like that
  • Options

Tory Unionism is largely about England.

Now that the Little Englanders have taken over, yes.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    This is astonishingly stupid, even for this astonishingly stupid government. The world is awash with private capital for investment in technology companies in a way that it is not there for countless other industries. Not only is there cash, there is also significant expertise. The idea that Dominic Cummings knows better than long-established, deep pocket PE and VC operations is for the fairies. To pass up the chance of doing a deal on the basis that he does is beyond irresponsible. I just cannot believe it is true.

• Options

To pass up the chance of doing a deal on the basis that he does is beyond irresponsible. I just cannot believe it is true.

The level of stupidity almost guarantees it's true...
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    North Carolina provides real-time info on returning d mail in ballots and early voting.

In 2016 you could see th e Dem registered vote failing to match 2012 levels. With Covid it will be almost impossible to compare 2020 with 2016
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667

Good morning, everyone.

The day ending in 'y' strengthens the case for Scottish independence, according to Sturgeon.

The case is getting stronger by the day ?
    Quite possibly.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mr CHB - F**k the IRA but F**k the DUP too.

I have never respected the DUP and seeing Tweets like that just make me think even more than I will never shed a crocodile tear about Boris screwing over the DUP with the Brexit deal.

I hope the SNP get independence not out of any anger with Scotland or desire to see Scotland go, but simply because I think its in Scotland's best interests. If I was a Scot I would vote SNP/Yes despite being a right winger.

I hope that NI goes in part because I want rid of NI. I despise the IRA and loathe its sympathisers at the time, I would never have backed Irish unification pre-peace process but now? I want rid of its troubles, I want rid of its fanaticism and religion, the DUP and Sinn Fein and . . . let them be Ireland's problem, we've dealt with them long enough.

In the words of someone who probably shouldn't be brought up in discussions about Ireland: "You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

Well I am a Tory and remain a staunch Unionist.

Ripping the country in two with border posts and tariffs on exports to and from Scotland, inevitable after a No Deal Brexit or even a basic FTA with the EU would not do us any good, Scotland would effectively be an EU colony in the British Isles.

It would also be the end of the United Kingdom, we would become simply England and Wales overnight and as for Northern Ireland I would happily give away the Catholic and Sinn Fein, Remain voting counties on the Irish border like Fermanagh and Tyrone to the Republic of Ireland but in Protestant County Antrim every MP is DUP and every local authority voted Leave and it wants to remain with us.

England, Wales and Antrim would be fine with me, but the UK staying together best of all and that requires unity between the Kingdoms of England and Scotland
    I'm not sure that Scotland and NI going would be the end of the United Kingdom is that great an argument to make to someone who has just said that Scotland and NI should go.

In the event NI goes so will Antrim just like how London left the EU.
    It would not just be the end of the name of the country and the economic relationship remaining the same with free trade and no borders, there would be customs posts and tariffs between England and Scotland as a result of a hard Brexit and Scotland voting for independence and to return to the EU.

Antrim will not go, the dominant party in Antrim, the DUP, wants to stay part of the UK and not join the Republic of Ireland, the dominant party in London, Labour, does not want to rejoin the EU and leave the UK
    It doesn't matter what the dominant party of Antrim wants. The dominant party of Merseyside wanted to stay in the EU. But Merseyside has left along with the rest of England.

If NI unifies that is it Antrim will have lost. That is democracy. It is also international law under the Good Friday Agreement.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,232

Did you not read HYUFD earlier? He foresees a "union" of England, Wales and Antrim.

It is not as fanciful as one might think either, we could airlift supplies in daily to Aldergrove Airport- it worked for West Berlin.

My reservation however is, it is very much a dilution of the notion of the Conservative and Unionist Party. More a Conservative and North Antrim Unionist Party.
  • Options
    coach said:

tlg86 said:

coach said:

Yeah, obviously that's not the only statement by Abbot is it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

To pass up the chance of doing a deal on the basis that he does is beyond irresponsible. I just cannot believe it is true.

The level of stupidity almost guarantees it's true...
    Especially when combined with the level of hubris. Is Tech VC-dom another field where Dom thinks current practitioners are waffle merchants?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_xP said:

I made that point yesterday evening - along with the facts about the trade deals - and concerns about his publicly expressed views on downgrading labour and environmental standards, contrary to current British government policy.

The fact that he may also be a patronising condescending twit in relation to women puts him amongst the majority of men of his age in senior positions in public life. He probably fits in with very well with today’s Tory-UKIP government.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Looking forward to them having the whip removed as per Ken Clarke and so on.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

coach said:

tlg86 said:

coach said:

I don't know are there others? Its why I asked
  • Options

Did you not read HYUFD earlier? He foresees a "union" of England, Wales and Antrim.

It is not as fanciful as one might think either, we could airlift supplies in daily to Aldergrove Airport- it worked for West Berlin.

My reservation however is, it is very much a dilution of the notion of the Conservative and Unionist Party. More a Conservative and North Antrim Unionist Party.
    Hasn’t it been that since May’s deal for Parliamentary support ?
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    This is astonishingly stupid, even for this astonishingly stupid government. The world is awash with private capital for investment in technology companies in a way that it is not there for countless other industries. Not only is there cash, there is also significant expertise. The idea that Dominic Cummings knows better than long-established, deep pocket PE and VC operations is for the fairies. To pass up the chance of doing a deal on the basis that he does is beyond irresponsible. I just cannot believe it is true.

Afraid it is likely to be true. This is a government driven by pet schemes and back bedroom obsessions.

• Options
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    coach said:

Alistair said:

coach said:

tlg86 said:

coach said:

I believe his treatment of Julia Gillard is what is usually referenced when this accusation is made.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Mrs May claimed there was no magic money tree. It would appear she was wrong.

Debt is rising but we can't raise taxes In the light of Coronavirus government spending is likely to rise, not fall. Trading our way out seems unlikely as the economy is shrinking so our existing tax take will fall, and it seems inflating our way out of debt is not acceptable either.

It is a long time since economics A level, so I have forgotten how else we pay for current and future borrowing?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

coach said:

Alistair said:

coach said:

tlg86 said:

coach said:

I believe his treatment of Julia Gillard is what is usually referenced when this accusation is made.
    Was it worse than that joke Cameron got grief over?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkzjs-nEM2o
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Hasn’t it been that since May’s deal for Parliamentary support ?
    I suppose it has. I thought Mrs May naive to enter the political bedroom with Sammy "Vote Trump" Wilson.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    coach said:

tlg86 said:

coach said:

Trivial? It clearly sums up his life views about womens place in society, if that’s trivial maybe you hold such views yourself.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Mr CHB - F**k the IRA but F**k the DUP too.

I have never respected the DUP and seeing Tweets like that just make me think even more than I will never shed a crocodile tear about Boris screwing over the DUP with the Brexit deal.

I hope the SNP get independence not out of any anger with Scotland or desire to see Scotland go, but simply because I think its in Scotland's best interests. If I was a Scot I would vote SNP/Yes despite being a right winger.

I hope that NI goes in part because I want rid of NI. I despise the IRA and loathe its sympathisers at the time, I would never have backed Irish unification pre-peace process but now? I want rid of its troubles, I want rid of its fanaticism and religion, the DUP and Sinn Fein and . . . let them be Ireland's problem, we've dealt with them long enough.

In the words of someone who probably shouldn't be brought up in discussions about Ireland: "You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!"

Well I am a Tory and remain a staunch Unionist.

Ripping the country in two with border posts and tariffs on exports to and from Scotland, inevitable after a No Deal Brexit or even a basic FTA with the EU would not do us any good, Scotland would effectively be an EU colony in the British Isles.

It would also be the end of the United Kingdom, we would become simply England and Wales overnight and as for Northern Ireland I would happily give away the Catholic and Sinn Fein, Remain voting counties on the Irish border like Fermanagh and Tyrone to the Republic of Ireland but in Protestant County Antrim every MP is DUP and every local authority voted Leave and it wants to remain with us.

England, Wales and Antrim would be fine with me, but the UK staying together best of all and that requires unity between the Kingdoms of England and Scotland
    I'm not sure that Scotland and NI going would be the end of the United Kingdom is that great an argument to make to someone who has just said that Scotland and NI should go.

In the event NI goes so will Antrim just like how London left the EU.
    It would not just be the end of the name of the country and the economic relationship remaining the same with free trade and no borders, there would be customs posts and tariffs between England and Scotland as a result of a hard Brexit and Scotland voting for independence and to return to the EU.

Antrim will not go, the dominant party in Antrim, the DUP, wants to stay part of the UK and not join the Republic of Ireland, the dominant party in London, Labour, does not want to rejoin the EU and leave the UK
    It doesn't matter what the dominant party of Antrim wants. The dominant party of Merseyside wanted to stay in the EU. But Merseyside has left along with the rest of England.

If NI unifies that is it Antrim will have lost. That is democracy. It is also international law under the Good Friday Agreement.
    Dear me Philip, capitulation! This is why HYUFD thinks you are a Labour Party Trojan horse.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Yes. One slip-up from the Biden team will be enough that these people will be able to say, "We-ell, I didn't really want to vote Trump, but Biden did x, and so I really have no choice."
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Deleted, duplicate.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820

Andy_JS said:

When the SNP said the first referendum would be a once in a generation event, I knew that would actually turn out to mean about 5 to 10 years.

It doesn't matter what they said then, it matters what they say now.

If they say now they want another referendum and if the voters vote for them, that is democracy. Plain and simple.

I believe in democracy and democracy trumps all - even prior commitments.
    Unfortunately so.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Well duh. There are MPs who wouldnt agree to a tax rise even if it were necessary to make the sun rise in the morning.
  • Options
    Robin Hood Energy went well then.

£24m of council money lost according to Telegraph.
  • Options

Is Tech VC-dom another field where Dom thinks current practitioners are waffle merchants?

I suspect it may be another field where he has lots of mates looking for a bung from Government.

Like PPE procurement...
  • Options
    I've said before that the Supreme Court ruling that IndyRef2 must go ahead is a real risk, and they have a taste for overruling Boris as well.

James Forsyth's suggestion on how to play this is very instructive. Essential reading.
  • Options

Robin Hood Energy went well then.

£24m of council money lost according to Telegraph.

Robbed from the rich (Nottingham City Council ratepayers)... and given ... to British Gas.
  • Options

James Forsyth's suggestion on how to play this is very instructive. Essential reading.

Not really

https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1301595292865835010
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HMG invests £522m in attempting to boost obesity and diabetes.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    We heard the exact same thing last year and you're reacting in the exact same way. Is there a tiny part that remembers that certainty?

That doesn't mean we should be complacent about the prospect of no deal, but why are you so certain this time you're right when you, and I, were wrong before about what he wants?
This discussion has been closed.