Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TV ratings: Biden’s convention speech got a bigger audience th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TV ratings: Biden’s convention speech got a bigger audience than Trump’s

Given that elections at this stage are all about metrics of one form or another we now have the TV audience figures for Trump’s speech overnight which we can compare with Biden’s and the Numbers give the Democrat the edge.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    First.
  • Options
    FPT: thanks for the software eng advice, I'll keep it all in mind - I have much to learn still :)
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited August 2020
    Re: COBOL, I watched a YouTube video a few months ago which I recall said there is a big rush to have older folks (no disrespect intended) teaching us younger lot how to use it, as unfortunately - soon - most of them will die and take their knowledge to the grave.

Sadly haunting, I thought
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/NHSMillion/status/1299449181241831424

I had a nurse do my flu jab just last year
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited August 2020

Been available in Pharmacies too in the UK. The Spanish campaign starts in October I think, will check with doctor if I can have it.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    FPT
    Charles said:

Charles said:

MattW said:

Scott_xP said:
    So 65k paid per annum for approx 100 days per year.

£650 a day - affected by additional benefits etc.

Doesn't seem excessive for that role.
    It’s the standard rate for a ftse 250 non executive chair
    Really? I can think of a few people who were getting that as senior developers - not even team leads - Java and C++
    Chairs sometimes get more but for AIM companies it’s £30k for an NED and for FTSE250 £50k. In most cases it’s a day or so a month - the chair does a couple of days a month.

Harding isn’t being paid much for 2 days a week.
    To be fair, £50k a year for one day a month is £4,600 a day, rather than £650 a day!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,188

I don't think I have ever had a doctor stick a needle in me, except perhaps as a young child decades ago.

• Options
    Any idea how these figures have compared in prior years?

I'd have thought in 2020 more would be following online than on TV anyway though.
  • Options
    Polling in the DM, high support for getting rid of license fee criminalisation.

And so we will get to the inevitable privatisation of the BBC, as was the point in this entire story
  • Options
    Express headline is literally contradicted by the story below it
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Rising Phoenix - extraordinary characters.

The guy left for dead aged three, when Hutus attacked him with multiple machete blows.

The South African blade-runner - who trains with a cheetah.

The Italian fencer who lost large chunks of her body to meningitis.

A superb film. Very emotional.

• Options

Re: COBOL, I watched a YouTube video a few months ago which I recall said there is a big rush to have older folks (no disrespect intended) teaching us younger lot how to use it, as unfortunately - soon - most of them will die and take their knowledge to the grave.

I'm seriously thinking about getting into dead languages, COBOL and AS400 support.

You don't even need to be fantastic at it, when all the experienced guys are in their seventies and desperate to call it a day. Banks are paying the most ridiculous money to keep these guys from retirement, well into the four figure day rates and six figure salaries.
  • Options

I don't think I have ever had a doctor stick a needle in me, except perhaps as a young child decades ago.

I don’t think I have either, it’s a long time since single doctor surgeries were the norm. Although nichoden gives them problems extracting the blood, her blood pressure collapses and she faints and needs to be brought round before problems set in but they know that and the doctor is on hand.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,847

Yes, I dabbled with COBOL in the 80s. Punch cards and the like - my recollection is there was a lot of:

PERFORM A while B=C

or similar...
  • Options

I'd have thought in 2020 more would be following online than on TV anyway though.

I’m think most people over 50:watch TV through TV channels it’s complicated enough to have two boxes and two remotes without trying to stream through your Telly. The community on here are not representative of the outside world.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,588
    On topic, The nomination speech perhaps puts the enthusiasm ratings to the test.

Trump under 200 IMO.
  • Options

And so we will get to the inevitable privatisation of the BBC, as was the point in this entire story

The BBC licence fee is a poll tax and in these days is just out of date and wrong

Time to make the BBC compete on a level playing field with all the media
    💯
  • Options

I have my injection from the nurse practioner but not the nurse and maybe this is the difference

Maybe Dr Foxy can clarify
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

It’s a little confusing but the tweet is inaccurate.

He says “we are changing the law so more people can administer the jab. I want pharmacists and nurses and technicians to do it as well as GPS as has traditionally been the case” (from memory)

Changing the law so technicians can do it

GPS are traditional but lots of nurses do it especially where privately administered or tendered out by the nhs
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Whilst popular with the PB Tories, I am not convinced that the end of the BBC will be popular with the older generation in the purple wall.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,326

I remember COBOL as the worrying new, boringly commercial, language that we had to master, having trained in Algol and Fortran. Algol was fun, everything afterwards was downhill...
  • Options
    Oh I didn't realise @Foxy was a doctor, well thanks for keeping us well and your service through the pandemic :)
  • Options

I have my injection from the nurse practioner but not the nurse and maybe this is the difference

I have had mine routinely by nurses. They come and stick us at lunchtimes in my department. It is virtually compulsory for NHS staff. The aim is to keep sickness levels under control during outbreaks.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Whilst popular with the PB Tories, I am not convinced that the end of the BBC will be popular with the older generation in the purple wall.
    Why should it be the end of the BBC

If it produces the content people will subscribe as they do to other subscriptions services
  • Options
    I would never want the BBC to have advertising, it's one of the best things about it
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719

Express headline is literally contradicted by the story below it

Not a rare occurrence in media generally, to be fair.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

It won’t be the end of the BBC, simply the end of the BBC dragging tens of thousands of poor and elderly people through the criminal courts every year.
  • Options
    Trafalgar have a poll showing Trump up 47-45 in Michigan.

To be more accurate, Trump leads 46.6-45.2. Before the Democrat convention, he led 46.9-44.2 and after the Democrat convention, he led 46.5-45.6 so tiny changes with both Trump and Biden votes solid within the margin of error.

As I suspected, the conventions have made little or no difference (and I suspect the debate won't either). The US electorate is highly polarised and views are entrenched.

Only 3.6% are still undecided which is extraordinary so far from the election.I have no idea how representative the Trafalgar sampling is because I don't know enough about Michigan.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,326
    Charles said:

It’s a little confusing but the tweet is inaccurate.

He says “we are changing the law so more people can administer the jab. I want pharmacists and nurses and technicians to do it as well as GPS as has traditionally been the case” (from memory)

Changing the law so technicians can do it

GPS are traditional but lots of nurses do it especially where privately administered or tendered out by the nhs
    Incidentally this brings the UK into line with a number of other countries, where pharmacists often handle immunisation, IIRC.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,268
    edited August 2020
    Foxy said:

I have had mine routinely by nurses. They come and stick us at lunchtimes in my department. It is virtually compulsory for NHS staff. The aim is to keep sickness levels under control during outbreaks.
    Strange that in our practice here in Wales it is only nurse practioners

I asked for the nurse but was told it would be the NP
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The American Political Media in one tweet

https://twitter.com/drvox/status/1299376200226226176
  • Options

Oh I didn't realise @Foxy was a doctor, well thanks for keeping us well and your service through the pandemic :)

Mostly I have been trying to keep regular services working, but did brush up on my respiratory medicine. In April we were days off being drafted to ICU, but then things peaked. It was a close run thing.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1299458233250185216

Does anyone listen to this podcast?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719
    On the BBC, I do think funding a large scale public broadcaster which is required to at least attempt to be neutral is worthwhile, but I don't know that the vast array of things it does at high cost in the entertainment sphere can be justified forever, especially when others do that so much more consistently without the public funding.

Whether we are there yet or not I am not certain, but I feel like a tipping point is coming on public perceptions of the acceptable role and level of the BBC, and therefore how much the public should pay for it. The attacks it gets from left and right on occasion suggest its status could easily become focused on in a cross partisan way if the public turns.
  • Options

So the the Express has gone from Cancer! Cure! Now!* stories to COVID! Vaccine! Now! stories.

*One of the ugliest forms of bottom feeding in journalism.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Ours get cascade training, then let loose with syringes and a pile of disclaimers. There is a stall in the canteen too. It isn't hard to do and is part of any nurses training.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

It's called 'stiffware'.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Ours get cascade training, then let loose with syringes and a pile of disclaimers. There is a stall in the canteen too. It isn't hard to do and is part of any nurses training.
    I would have thought so but not in our practice so far
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I’m think most people over 50:watch TV through TV channels it’s complicated enough to have two boxes and two remotes without trying to stream through your Telly. The community on here are not representative of the outside world.
    Indeed but isn't that the point? If Biden is supported more by the young, they're more likely to be streaming and not watching TV so you'd expect Trump to have higher ratings all else being equal - but the figures show that Biden does.

Although viewing figures may not correspond to voting ones, its entirely possible many might have their minds made up, be keen to vote, but have no intention of watching these events.
  • Options

Free Advice* - Software engineering has nothing to do with which language you use. That's a trivial detail.

*Watch out for the price.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

The BBC licence fee is a poll tax and in these days is just out of date and wrong

Nope. BBC is different. Tories have ideological objections and can never forgive a non privately owned, non commercial corporation being successful. Goes against their religion. They won’t be happy until it’s gone and the UK goes all Fox News.
  • Options

I would never want the BBC to have advertising, it's one of the best things about it

I agree we should be moving away from a licence fee model but we should also be moving away from subscription-only television. I'd rather Netflix, Prime and the rest were made freely available to everyone along with the BBC.

Let's have free access for all and not just reduce the quality of what one is able to watch to what one can afford or be prepared to pay for.

Sometimes it's not just about the profit motive - sometimes it's about improving the quality of life for as many people as possible.
  • Options

Free Advice* - Software engineering has nothing to do with which language you use. That's a trivial detail.

*Watch out for the price.
    I don't know a lot about it, my bread and butter is C#, Java and JavaScript.

I'm surprised more people don't learn it who are doing software eng already (like me) - I'll look into it for sure
  • Options
    Here are the comparative figures for the two parties (I love the 'age 2 or older' qualification):

https://twitter.com/baseballot/status/1299456850694471680
  • Options
    Must read thread on district polling for POTUS election.

https://twitter.com/Redistrict/status/1299389870327115776
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Biden may have got higher ratings but he did not get much bounce, Trump will be better off if he gets a bounce even with a lower audience
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,546
    edited August 2020

There are such things as textbooks. That's how I learned computer programming.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Nope. BBC is different. Tories have ideological objections and can never forgive a non privately owned, non commercial corporation being successful. Goes against their religion. They won’t be happy until it’s gone and the UK goes all Fox News.
    Not at all.

11,000 plus pensioners pay just for Lineker and it cannot justify that taxpayers keep it afloat on a public subsidy

Furthermore two thirds of voters want the fee scrapped so not just 'tories'
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,955
    edited August 2020
    Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

It won’t be the end of the BBC, simply the end of the BBC dragging tens of thousands of poor and elderly people through the criminal courts every year.
    No they will just use debt collectors instead and degt collectors are far more likely to hassle people daily/ hourly until they pay up.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,390

Kind sentiment (I mean that genuinely), but on a point of order, doctors don't keep people well. By definition they treat people when they get sick.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,949
    I'll you *exactly* what it means.

It means absolutely nothing at all.

Nada. Zero. Zilch.
  • Options
    Leicester in its 66th day of local lockdown.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

There are such things as textbooks. That's how I learned computer programming.
    I was only repeating what I recall the video saying
  • Options
    On the TV viewer figures, of course you have to bear in mind that many people watch via the internet nowadays, so the TV numbers by themselves aren't comparable with previous elections. It's unclear what the differential effect by party of that would be.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Biden may have got higher ratings but he did not get much bounce, Trump will be better off if he gets a bounce even with a lower audience

I didn't watch either speech (not a masochist) but I heard Biden's was good, and judging by the lack of embedded Tweets with Trump gaffes, I'm guessing he did well too.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Not at all.

11,000 plus pensioners pay just for Lineker and it cannot justify that taxpayers keep it afloat on a public subsidy

Ask a silly question, get a silly answer. Ask people if they want income tax scrapped and see what they say.

You have an ideological dislike of the BBC, despite it correcting a clear market failure.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

I'll you *exactly* what it means.

It means absolutely nothing at all.

Nada. Zero. Zilch.

Also Nielson ratings are trash.
  • Options
    Looks like Biden is going to win Massachussetts anyway

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1299438111550832640?s=20
  • Options
    stodge said:

To be more accurate, Trump leads 46.6-45.2. Before the Democrat convention, he led 46.9-44.2 and after the Democrat convention, he led 46.5-45.6 so tiny changes with both Trump and Biden votes solid within the margin of error.

As I suspected, the conventions have made little or no difference (and I suspect the debate won't either). The US electorate is highly polarised and views are entrenched.

Only 3.6% are still undecided which is extraordinary so far from the election.I have no idea how representative the Trafalgar sampling is because I don't know enough about Michigan.

Trafalgar adjusts for shy Trump voters. How accurate that will be is the big question.
  • Options
    The poll I mentioned the other day said the BBC was supported more by younger people than the old, it's funny because that's the opposite of what some here state
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

No they will just use debt collectors instead and degt collectors are far more likely to hassle people daily/ hourly until they pay up.
    Can you imagine an elderly widow struggling to make ends meet being harassed by debt collectors. Sky would be delighted to feature it and trash the BBC further
  • Options

Here are the comparative figures for the two parties (I love the 'age 2 or older' qualification):

Harris did a lot better than Pence too.

In 2016 the republicans got a bigger audience.
  • Options
    If we decriminalise paying the license fee, sorry to state the obvious but will people then just not bother to pay it, knowing nothing will happen
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Looks like Biden is going to win Massachussetts anyway

https://twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1299438111550832640?s=20

Shocked, I tell 'ya.
  • Options
    The BBC would need to implement a system where you can't watch TV/the BBC without one and I see no way of doing that - they don't have a viewing card like Sky does (did?)
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not at all.

Ask a silly question, get a silly answer. Ask people if they want income tax scrapped and see what they say.

You have an ideological dislike of the BBC, despite it correcting a clear market failure.
    I have nothing of the sort but the licence fee is over and it seems two thirds of the public agree
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Harris did a lot better than Pence too.

In 2016 the republicans got a bigger audience.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the Dems did better in 2004. Not convinced this is a meaningful measure.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Trafalgar adjusts for shy Trump voters. How accurate that will be is the big question.
    It was accurate in 2016, though they have had Biden up in Michigan earlier in the summer.

I also think Biden will pick up Michigan because it has an above average African American population and there will be higher black turnout this year after BLM and George Floyd etc, though I think Trump will hold Wisconsin as it has a below average African American population
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

HYUFD said:

I didn't watch either speech (not a masochist) but I heard Biden's was good, and judging by the lack of embedded Tweets with Trump gaffes, I'm guessing he did well too.
    Yes. Although unusually he stuck to a prepared script.
    Which is not his forte. A little stilted in delivery but absent the usual extreme batshittery.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078
    I did my original dissertation about using Python to control 3D printers back in 2010. Unsure if these skills will come in handy in my new legal career 🤓
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not at all.

I have nothing of the sort but the licence fee is over and it seems two thirds of the public agree
    You’ll be telling us you don’t subscribe to the Daily mail next. The right look at America with envious eyes and dream of Fox News UK. They may well have their way. God help us all.
  • Options

If we decriminalise paying the license fee, sorry to state the obvious but will people then just not bother to pay it, knowing nothing will happen

Is it a crime NOT to pay a SKY subscription?
  • Options

No you miss my point, if you don't pay your Sky subscription you can't watch Sky, Sky cut the service off.

The BBC have no way of doing that, from what I understand, so if you decriminalise the fee, nothing can happen if you don't pay. You can watch TV forever with no payment.

I support decriminalisation BTW, I just can see the argument that it reduces their income.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not at all.

As the organisation is, as you say, non-commercial, what's your measure of success? This is an organisation that is pumped full of public money every year - should it not, by now, be financially self-sufficient, or at least able to provide free licenses for the over 75s without shutting down channels?
  • Options

No you miss my point, if you don't pay your Sky subscription you can't watch Sky, Sky cut the service off.

The BBC have no way of doing that, from what I understand, so if you decriminalise the fee, nothing can happen if you don't pay. You can watch TV forever with no payment.

I support decriminalisation BTW, I just can see the argument that it reduces their income.
    The BBC need to think of a way of doing it. People should be able to watch other channels without paying the licence fee.
  • Options
    Sacre Bleu. That said, death rates are quite different. It’s a puzzle.
  • Options
    On Topic - The headline figures are not counting online viewing, which it seems is more of a republican passtime.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/513507-first-night-of-gop-convention-delivers-nearly-six-times-more-views-than-start
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,259
    edited August 2020
    FPT

Casino Royale was by far and away the best.

Peter Sellers, David Niven and Woody Allen were brilliant :)

Joanna Pettet was very fetching in her Mata Hari costume!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

The BBC need to think of a way of doing it. People should be able to watch other channels without paying the licence fee.
    I completely agree - but my point was that right now they don't have a way to stop it, I don't think.

If you plug an aerial into your TV, the BBC cannot stop you from watching BBC1. I don't see how they can ever stop it unless you have to ring them up to activate it, or some other such method.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

It was accurate in 2016, though they have had Biden up in Michigan earlier in the summer.

I also think Biden will pick up Michigan because it has an above average African American population and there will be higher black turnout this year after BLM and George Floyd etc, though I think Trump will hold Wisconsin as it has a below average African American population
    Michigan and Wisconsin are the two states I think are the most likely Biden pickups, as they were struggling economically even before CV19.
  • Options
    65% in favour of scrapping the license fee though, hard to refute that
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Sandpit said:

I'm seriously thinking about getting into dead languages, COBOL and AS400 support.

You don't even need to be fantastic at it, when all the experienced guys are in their seventies and desperate to call it a day. Banks are paying the most ridiculous money to keep these guys from retirement, well into the four figure day rates and six figure salaries.
    I turned down work in those recently. My COBOL is over 20 years old, the AS/400 I was involved with since its launch up to the mid-2000's. I just do not want to do programming any more.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not at all.

You’ll be telling us you don’t subscribe to the Daily mail next. The right look at America with envious eyes and dream of Fox News UK. They may well have their way. God help us all.
    My wife subscribes to mail plus and I subscribe to Sky and Sky sports, BT sports, Amazon prime, Disney, and have just cancelled my Netflix sub

You are obsessed with Fox News which is a channel I never watch nor would I anymore than RT
  • Options

2 out of 4 TV channels were BBC channels when I started watching TV. You could justify the licence fee at that time.
  • Options
    So here's a question, if Netflix wants to be "woke" does it as a private company have the right to offer whatever programming it wants?
  • Options
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

Foxy said:

Apparently they've partnered with Crapita to start harassing pensioners.

Every other media outlet in the country is about to start running front pages on how that strategy plays out.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

Michigan and Wisconsin are the two states I think are the most likely Biden pickups, as they were struggling economically even before CV19.
    I agree on Michigan but I think Biden will pick up Pennsylvania, where he was born and Florida, which also has an above average African American population, before he picks up Wisconsin which had job growth at the US average last year

https://www.forbes.com/places/wi/#d55ea1223a16
  • Options
    Do we now get to pick and choose to pay taxes only towards the things we use of care about?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Jonathan said:

Yes, although you need to adjust for the fact that there's a lot more testing now, so in France (as in the UK) they are no doubt detecting a larger proportion of the true number of cases than they were in March/April. Even allowing for that, though, the current increase in France is alarming.

As you say, the death rates are also puzzling. One just has to hope that it's not simply a case of a time-lag.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Not at all.

My wife subscribes to mail plus and I subscribe to Sky and Sky sports, BT sports, Amazon prime, Disney, and have just cancelled my Netflix sub

You are obsessed with Fox News which is a channel I never watch nor would I anymore than RT
    You are obsessed with the licence fee.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

On the subject of Trafalgar, didn't they overstate Trump in every state? It led to them giving him the lead in (for example) Florida, but their forecast of a four point lead was a lot bigger than the actual 1.3% lead.
  • Options

77% for over 75's
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Yes, although you need to adjust for the fact that there's a lot more testing now, so in France (as in the UK) they are no doubt detecting a larger proportion of the true number of cases than they were in March/April. Even allowing for that, though, the current increase in France is alarming.

As you say, the death rates are also puzzling. One just has to hope that it's not simply a case of a time-lag.
    Let’s hope this time we do not follow the continent, but the deviation between death rates and cases needs to be investigated. It’s striking.
This discussion has been closed.