Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Sunak still leads Starmer in “Best PM” polling but the gap is

124»

Comments

• Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244
    HYUFD said:

FOM fudge seems the most unlikely thing that any Tory would capitulate on. I think fishing and state aid will be capitulated

State aid maybe, fishing not, too many Tory MPs now represent fishing ports
    If they conceed any UK fishing rights then Farage and the Grimbsy Mafia will we brought back to life like something out of revelation
  • Options
    DennisBetsDennisBets Posts: 244
    Andy_JS said:

Following the discussion in the previous thread re: where is the north, I did a bit of doodling.

If you divide the UK into thirds based on constituency populations and boundaries, and OS grid north, this is what you get. It seems Hendon is in the Midlands.

Strangley enough, the line delineating the "North" is where a lot of people put it. Sheffield is North, but only just. Same for Liverpool.

Shading is based on population density.

I live next to the Trent and it's definitely the Midlands here, not the North.
    Chelmsford is not in the midlands
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,896
    edited August 2020

That is not right because "the north" and so on have separate meanings in Scotland, England and Wales. No-one uses the terms UK-wide.

I'm not claiming this is in any way definitive - it was only done for amusement. People referring to "The North" often do intend to mean the UK, although perhaps they don't realise quite how far north Shetland is.

If you did this properly then you'd probably use the primary axis rather than grid north. This is inclined SSE to NNW.

But still, if you are in the blue, then you are further N than 66% of the UK's population.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025

HYUFD said:

FOM fudge seems the most unlikely thing that any Tory would capitulate on. I think fishing and state aid will be capitulated

If they conceed any UK fishing rights then Farage and the Grimbsy Mafia will we brought back to life like something out of revelation
    But what do we mean by that?

Can only UK registered boats have licenses? Can a British firm with a Spanish shareholder have a license?

If the Canadian government says "we allow British firms to have oil extraction licenses in Canada, so you need to reciprocate and allow Canadian firms to bid on fishing licenses", what do we say?

Do we allow British fishing license holders to lease boats from foreigners? What if the lease is a wet lease, and comes with crew?

Do we have limits on vessel tonnage? What about requirements to land fish in the UK?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,025
    Andy_JS said:
    I used to know Andrew really well when he was the CFO of Sky.

Not clear to me why he'd choose being a backbench MP over that, but hey ho.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,638
    Andy_JS said:

Following the discussion in the previous thread re: where is the north, I did a bit of doodling.

If you divide the UK into thirds based on constituency populations and boundaries, and OS grid north, this is what you get. It seems Hendon is in the Midlands.

Strangley enough, the line delineating the "North" is where a lot of people put it. Sheffield is North, but only just. Same for Liverpool.

Shading is based on population density.

I live next to the Trent and it's definitely the Midlands here, not the North.
    The mouth of the Trent is on the Humber Estuary, which is most definitely in The North.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

But what do we mean by that?

Can only UK registered boats have licenses? Can a British firm with a Spanish shareholder have a license?

If the Canadian government says "we allow British firms to have oil extraction licenses in Canada, so you need to reciprocate and allow Canadian firms to bid on fishing licenses", what do we say?

Do we allow British fishing license holders to lease boats from foreigners? What if the lease is a wet lease, and comes with crew?

Do we have limits on vessel tonnage? What about requirements to land fish in the UK?
    Some good points there....all I can see is that UK Fishermen (and women) are in a no win situation. They can be granted the fishing and lose the market access, or keep the market access and continue to claim defeat....
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,754
    edited August 2020
    rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:
    I used to know Andrew really well when he was the CFO of Sky.

Not clear to me why he'd choose being a backbench MP over that, but hey ho.
    Interesting. IIRC Arundel used to be the safest Tory division in the country a few years ago but since it's a Remain seat it's fallen a long way down the list. Mansfield probably has a higher Tory share now.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,129
    Andy_JS said:
    If the 8.09 had just departed, that's how it would look at 8.10 am any time......
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I don't want other people heading back to their offices, the roads are busy enough as it is.

The roads were great back in May.

This country would be a lot better with ten million fewer people.
    Ten million fewer people would be paying back the national debt. There's a horrible spiral some parts of the get into, where falling population mean higher taxes for those that remain, which means even more people leave...
    Or there would be less borrowing as the government wouldn't be providing benefits and services for those ten million people.

There would also be less pollution and congestion and more affordable housing.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,724
    Andy_JS said:

I'd prefer Priti Patel to be next PM.

I think she would be awful, but is a good bet. She appeals to the Tory selectorate and is good value. 29 for next PM on BFX.

This discussion has been closed.