Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest polling on government’s handling of COVID 19 crisis and

Comments

• Options

William Hague compares A-level to the poll tax:

This pattern of a flawed starting assumption and perfectly rational decisions that flowed from it has been once again plain to see in the debacle of the A-level results.
    ... [huge snippage]
    In a striking parallel to the poll tax, the overall outcome was broadly defensible but the individual impact was not.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/17/a-levels-debacle-threatened-another-poll-tax-moment-tories/

Agreed 100%

Thankfully the government saw sense and swiftly ended this rather than digging their heels in like Thatcher did with the poll tax.
    'Swift' would have been a week ago. They clearly tried to brazen it out and failed miserably - as we all knew they would.
    Problem is the Welsh minister has not resigned either
  • Options
    I will say, what gives me a small confidence that in the longer term that the Tories might be in trouble is I really trust none of them to convincingly implement or deliver their agenda.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    Foxy said:

One thing that really does strike me is what a piss-poor judge of people Johnson is. This is really the most feeble cabinet in living memory, full of quarterwits, but then we see who he thinks deserves a seat in the upper house, and now a critical role controlling our response to the pandemic. As long as they kiss his arse they are in.

Speaking of which, how many of Trump's appointees has he subsequently sacked due to their 'incompetence', and when is a journo going to ask Trump why he is so shit at selecting competent people?
  • Options

This pattern of a flawed starting assumption and perfectly rational decisions that flowed from it has been once again plain to see in the debacle of the A-level results.
    ... [huge snippage]
    In a striking parallel to the poll tax, the overall outcome was broadly defensible but the individual impact was not.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/17/a-levels-debacle-threatened-another-poll-tax-moment-tories/

Agreed 100%

Thankfully the government saw sense and swiftly ended this rather than digging their heels in like Thatcher did with the poll tax.
    'Swift' would have been a week ago. They clearly tried to brazen it out and failed miserably - as we all knew they would.
    Problem is the Welsh minister has not resigned either
    Nor the Scottish, nor the NI.

Funny that. Almost as if this isn't a resigning matter.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

At some point, these continuous cock ups have got to hurt the Tory lead, even if Labour does nothing. The Tories must surely lose points. Am I mad?

No - it amazes me it has not already happened

If I was a conservative mp my letter would be written just waiting for a date in early new year post brexit
    Which may help to explain the total lack of talent in the cabinet. Boris knows he isn't popular, fealty is the only thing he trusts.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Williamson won't go. Boris will make sure of it.

He's doing to take down the Union and the Conservative Party with him.

Who should it take down the Union when the Scottish government made exactly the same errors and Swinney is also facing calls to resign?

More Tory voters also think Williamson should stay than go
    This member does not, he needs to go
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Who should it take down the Union when the Scottish government made exactly the same errors and Swinney is also facing calls to resign?

He should but not over this. He's done the right thing (in u-turning) today - that shouldn't see him go. He should go as he should never have been there in the first place not because of this fiasco.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,912
    Foxy said:

One thing that really does strike me is what a piss-poor judge of people Johnson is. This is really the most feeble cabinet in living memory, full of quarterwits, but then we see who he thinks deserves a seat in the upper house, and now a critical role controlling our response to the pandemic. As long as they kiss his arse they are in.

His goal may be to pick people who make him look good. It's a tough bar to clear but I think he is giving it a good go.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,141

I will say, what gives me a small confidence that in the longer term that the Tories might be in trouble is I really trust none of them to convincingly implement or deliver their agenda.

They don't have to.

Cummings will deliver his agenda.

The cabinet are just window dressing.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    HYUFD said:

It must be heartbreaking to know that this government, which you invested so much time to promote, has turned out to be a complete shambles. They let you down.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,955

At some point, these continuous cock ups have got to hurt the Tory lead, even if Labour does nothing. The Tories must surely lose points. Am I mad?

I think these things take a long time to start having an effect, but then it gets set in and it becomes very hard to to recover position. Covid-19 confuses matters since even well run places have done plenty poorly in some things, so untangling the unmitigable problems from avoidable errors is trickier.
  • Options

If there was an alternative government-in-waiting with alternative ideas then that might make it tougher for the government.
    How would it be tougher? There isn't going to be a GE for nearly four years, nothing Labour can say now will change that.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    The man refused to 'resign' in the normal manner in the last government and actually had to be sacked, which is actually pretty rare (that it is accepted as a sacking that is).

I kind of appreciate such stubbornness, as it means there's no question it is down to the Leader to drop them, no expectation of people distracting with talk of honourable resignation.
  • Options

If there was an alternative government-in-waiting with alternative ideas then that might make it tougher for the government.
    How would it be tougher? There isn't going to be a GE for nearly four years, nothing Labour can say now will change that.
    Labour were a creditable government in waiting for years before 1997.

Starmer so far seems to think that being not-Corbyn is enough and then he can coast to victory. He needs to start saying something other than tut-tutting if he wants to be taken seriously.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Because life and politics is not fair, and even if the exact same errors are committed politicians and parties face different consequences. Boris knows this all too well, it has aided him personally on many occasions.
  • Options

Starmer so far seems to think that being not-Corbyn is enough and then he can coast to victory. He needs to start saying something other than tut-tutting if he wants to be taken seriously.
    This is exactly what governments start to say when they start to lose it. Bless.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    This is brilliant. Well done to the students that printed this - the situation at UNC is a real clusterfuck.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

This is exactly what governments start to say when they start to lose it. Bless.
    This government is fantastic in my humble opinion.

That they recognise their mistakes swiftly and turn them around within a few days is good not bad.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

That they recognise their mistakes swiftly and turn them around within a few days is good not bad.
    😂
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,124
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

It must be heartbreaking to know that this government, which you invested so much time to promote, has turned out to be a complete shambles. They let you down.

They haven't, they beat Corbyn and delivered Brexit which was what they were mainly elected to do
  • Options
    Jonathan said:
    I know that's a fun meme given things turned out pretty chaotic, but whenever I see it I feel like the poster is unintentionally highlighting just how successful a point it was, and thus the importance of hammering home a message. It worked.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,203
    Belarus

Anyone who saw President Big Hat's performance on factory visits today will fancy that his time living in Minsk really is short.

The focus outside of the country is now EU/Russian diplomacy. The EU is talking like it might at least try to put the kabosh on any attempt by Russia to physically intervene via the threat of diplomatic & economic retaliation.

Warning Russia off through economic damage can have an impact, Putin has the mind of a paper pushing risk assessor and isn't half as dynamic as many have painted him. There are plenty of countries within the EU who would to wield some fairly strong measures but he EU has form in being piss poor in using its diplomatic weight. Its main exponent of do nothing, Angela Merkel, has reportedly already had a conversation with Putin.

About what?

It perfectly viable to make some soothing noises towards Russia whilst warning it off getting physically involved via overt means or subversion. EU types will have already been talking to the opposition leaders in exile and you can safely assume its not just about expressing some warm words. They will be trying to look at how Russia can be reassured by the opposition. Potential key areas include a re-emphasis on Belarus neutrality and also ensuring a continued unobstructed route between Kaliningrad and the rest of Russia.

• Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Because life and politics is not fair, and even if the exact same errors are committed politicians and parties face different consequences. Boris knows this all too well, it has aided him personally on many occasions.
    As the polling shows it is mainly opposition voters who think Williamson should go, Tory voters will think Swinney should go, so nothing changed
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Trump arrives in the Midwest for a rally as the Democrat convention starts in Minneapolis tonight (albeit most attendees online)with some younger supporters too https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1295429559127429120?s=19
    https://twitter.com/TrumpStudents/status/1295478235074002945?s=19
    https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1295475269504032769?s=19
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sometimes, you're a parody of yourself. Keep going Philip, I am crying :)
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,686
    It's going to be tough for shite universities to fill their courses now.

With nobody getting poor A level results now, who will be stuck with having to study Lego Studies at Del Monte?

Night all.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I'm all for not criticising people overmuch for u-turning, we need u-turns, and so it depends how obvious a mess there was and how obvious the solution to avoid the need for a u-turn (which cannot be that obvious if all the other nations seemed to cock up as well, independently), but also so long as a u-turn from the other side is treated with the same attitude.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,242

HYUFD said:

I'm sure the Tory party will remember you playing hardball about the accession of BJ and act accordingly.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Sometimes, you're a parody of yourself. Keep going Philip, I am crying :)
    I said this morning a u-turn would be the right thing to do and if the government u-turned I would praise them.

I'm true to my word. What else should I do?
  • Options
    Yokes said:

Belarus

Anyone who saw President Big Hat's performance on factory visits today will fancy that his time living in Minsk really is short.

The focus outside of the country is now EU/Russian diplomacy. The EU is talking like it might at least try to put the kabosh on any attempt by Russia to physically intervene via the threat of diplomatic & economic retaliation.

Warning Russia off through economic damage can have an impact, Putin has the mind of a paper pushing risk assessor and isn't half as dynamic as many have painted him. There are plenty of countries within the EU who would to wield some fairly strong measures but he EU has form in being piss poor in using its diplomatic weight. Its main exponent of do nothing, Angela Merkel, has reportedly already had a conversation with Putin.

About what?

It perfectly viable to make some soothing noises towards Russia whilst warning it off getting physically involved via overt means or subversion. EU types will have already been talking to the opposition leaders in exile and you can safely assume its not just about expressing some warm words. They will be trying to look at how Russia can be reassured by the opposition. Potential key areas include a re-emphasis on Belarus neutrality and also ensuring a continued unobstructed route between Kaliningrad and the rest of Russia.

Belarus is perfectly safe, so long as it agreed to forever be a buffer state?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I'm all for not criticising people overmuch for u-turning, we need u-turns, and so it depends how obvious a mess there was and how obvious the solution to avoid the need for a u-turn (which cannot be that obvious if all the other nations seemed to cock up as well, independently), but also so long as a u-turn from the other side is treated with the same attitude.
    Has Philip ever said Labour were good for doing a U-turn?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

They haven't, they beat Corbyn and delivered Brexit which was what they were mainly elected to do
    Yes, I am sure low expectations help.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He should but not over this. He's done the right thing (in u-turning) today - that shouldn't see him go. He should go as he should never have been there in the first place not because of this fiasco.
    Why has it taken them over a week to u-turn Philip?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,986
    It would be the principled thing to do, and a refreshing change.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

They were elected to beat Corbyn?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

They were elected to beat Corbyn?
    Yes had they not been elected Corbyn would now be PM
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2020

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I've never bought into the idea of attacking people for u-turns, if a u-turn is the right thing to do it should be done. When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?

I praised Starmer for apologising to the antisemitism whistle blowers and settling the libel case, does that count as a u-turn?
  • Options

... [huge snippage]

Agreed 100%

Yup. The grades given to the son of one of my partner's colleagues were far below what he was expecting and too low for him to go to his chosen university. By the time his grades were upped, clearing had already closed and he was stuffed. Far from swift, the action came much too late. A lot of people are extremely pissed off about this fiasco.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I don't know, you'd have to ask him. All I know is u-turns always get criticised, as does being 'stubborn' and not u-turning. Then when it happens there's criticism for it being too late, but if done quickly it shows weakness.

It's a particular hypocritical element of our political discourse, which has hypocrises enough as it is, but is generally easily smoked out with the age old question: would I criticise this if my own side did it/the other side did it?

I don't think many of us pass the test often enough.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I don't know, you'd have to ask him. All I know is u-turns always get criticised, as does being 'stubborn' and not u-turning. Then when it happens there's criticism for it being too late, but if done quickly it shows weakness.

It's a particular hypocritical element of our political discourse, which has hypocrises enough as it is, but is generally easily smoked out with the age old question: would I criticise this if my own side did it/the other side did it?

I have U-turned on Corbyn. I get attacked all the time for it
  • Options

HYUFD said:

It hasn't.

They did a u-turn on Wednesday introducing the triple-lock idea as a last minute fudged solution to try and save the grades. It was OK in theory but too little, too late, it didn't answer the problems that became apparent over this weekend.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

Not by me.
  • Options
    Didn't agree with a lot of what the Coalition did but at least they were competent
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

And by making U-turns so politically toxic you reduce the chance of them actually happening except for the most egregious cases. If less of a song and dance was made about each one I suspect they'd happen far more often, potentially resulting in better governance overall.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:
    I know that's a fun meme given things turned out pretty chaotic, but whenever I see it I feel like the poster is unintentionally highlighting just how successful a point it was, and thus the importance of hammering home a message. It worked.
    Starmer should use a paraphrase of it against Boris.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

It may well be fair in some situations to regard a u-turn as insufficient, I wasn't suggesting you or anyone else has never u-turned, nor that a u-turn cannot potentially be criticised, but as a general point we don't do it enough, and we act like idiots when people do.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

There is late, and there is too late. Changing the A level grades awarded after many universities have closed clearing is most certainly the latter. It just adds insult to injury for those who lost out.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Didn't agree with a lot of what the Coalition did but at least they were competent

The Coalition seems a long time ago now!
  • Options
    isam said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:
    Calmer government? Starmer government.

Perhaps not. Slant rhymes probably not good for slogans.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,877

No, I expect a Labour lead fairly soon.
  • Options

They were competent at austerity but voters got fed up of that
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Same question to Wales and Northern Ireland in fairness and it took Sturgeon a week to change originally

Mind you I want Williamson out because he is useless
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

The Coalition seems a long time ago now!
    Ah yes. Just out of university, first full time job, discovering PB, it was a joyful time.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

There is late, and there is too late. Changing the A level grades awarded after many universities have closed clearing is most certainly the latter. It just adds insult to injury for those who lost out.
    But its not closed. They've said that original offers should be restored.
  • Options
    I am working on some Keir slogans.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    kle4 said:

isam said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:
    Calmer government? Starmer government.

Perhaps not. Slant rhymes probably not good for slogans.
    No, just switching the names in Cameron’s quote (Boris for Miliband) would do. I’m already cringing at how bad the bunged up nasal delivery will be though. Scripted jokes in political arguments are so naff, best he tweets it.
  • Options
    Clear Starmer
  • Options
    Starmer and stable
  • Options
    No drama, just Starmer
  • Options
    Have a beer with Keir
  • Options
    edited August 2020

The coalition, and the opposition at the time, were out of sync with over 50% of the public on the biggest issue of the day, quite amazing
  • Options
    No fear, just Keir
  • Options
    He's clear, he's Keir
  • Options

No fear, just Keir

Write a letter, it's better!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2020

"You shouldn't have done that . . . well it looks like my job here is done."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdbjw27QPJQ
  • Options
    Three word slogans for Labour
  • Options
    Get Boris Out
  • Options
    Get Britain Moving
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    I missed out on this one. Where was the job advertised? Perhaps up Cummings rectum?
    Is she one of the misfits and weirdos that Cummings wants running Britain?
    She’s filling the “Incompetents who know Cabinet Ministers” quota.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

How's that going to work, then? I thought university place numbers had been capped?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,616
    Imagine trying to run a presidential campaign with a leader as insipid and uncharismatic as Starmer. Boris and Cummings would relish it.
  • Options
    I am going with, no drama, just Starmer
  • Options
    Boris Builds Better
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Imagine trying to run a presidential campaign with a leader as insipid and uncharismatic as Starmer. Boris and Cummings would relish it.

Depends what the public longs for in 2024. Does Biden really excite?
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Boris Builds Better

Boris Builds Bollocks
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Same question to Wales and Northern Ireland in fairness and it took Sturgeon a week to change originally

Having seen Scotland resist and then cave in, HMG spent a week doing the same but with added stupidities: first 'triple-lock', then 'we'll accept your mock', then 'oh, no we won't'.
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Boris Builds Better

Boris Builds Bollocks
    :lol:
  • Options
    Vote Starmer - good karma.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

How's that going to work, then? I thought university place numbers had been capped?
    The caps been lifted.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    kle4 said:

Yokes said:

Belarus

About what?

Belarus is perfectly safe, so long as it agreed to forever be a buffer state?
    Indeed. Just because that's the kind of conversations that may go on doesn't mean its nonsense though.

The buffer state idea in Europe is crackpot because the EU pose precisely no core threat to Russia but if you see through Russian government eyes Belarus is seen as a buffer and a sphere of influence issue. Plenty of European diplomats and leaders will accept that as a real thing rather than an outdated load of cobblers. As a result they will spend plenty of time trying to moderate Russia rather than offering up an on the quiet 'stay out or we'll put the thumbscrews on your basket case economy'.

Being a model dictatorship the Russian government will of course play the game of the legitimate player title that its been given whilst constantly measuring whether the Europeans will do diddly squat.

Watching Lukashenko work his socks off to obfuscate at home & play external parties off against each other in the hope of clinging on is definitely a case study in seat of the pants political manoeuvring. At this point it doesn't look like it will save him his job but its an interesting effort nonetheless.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

I think the cap has gone. Having said that, there are a lot of steps between "government tells universities to restore offers" and "the bajillion interlocking practicalities can be sorted in time for the start of term"... still, tomorrow is another day.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,909

Losing Kier
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

MaxPB said:

He used to be at Deutsche Bank, and did a pretty good job there too. I also doubt that Javid has any pull left. This is JP paying for a name to sit on some nothing advisory board.

It does, however, give us quite a big insight that Javid has given up his leadership ambitions.
    An investment banker who did a good job pre-2010? It's possible I suppose.
    Not at Deutsche Bank. An utter shitshow with an appalling culture. A significant proportion of the bankers I investigated worked there.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

HYUFD said:

It should have come the day after the Scottish decision. It would be grossly injust for there to be large differences in gradings across different parts of our nation.
  • Options
    Its dead simple : Keir Starmer: Trust me, I'm a lawyer

Conservative majority sorted.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Having seen Scotland resist and then cave in, HMG spent a week doing the same but with added stupidities: first 'triple-lock', then 'we'll accept your mock', then 'oh, no we won't'.
    You see that as a bad thing, I don't. They spent the week looking for a solution, before settling on the least worst solution.

If the triple lock had worked we could have moved on and it might have been a better solution. It didn't. So be it.
  • Options

Losing Kier
    A play on a PB favourite. I like it!
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:
    Indeed. It worked. Which is why we should resolve to be on our guard against simple, seductive messaging.
    Cos it can often turn out to be catastrophic bollocks.
  • Options

“Dear Keir, can you fix it for me to be let off being a paedophile until I’m pushing up the daisies?”
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,902
    edited August 2020

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

The caps been lifted.
    That's the cap that was put in place just two months ago in June to stop universities “taking a recruitment approach which would go against the interests of students and the sector as a whole” according to the Department of Education. So a recruitment approach that goes against the interests of students and the sector as a whole is OK now then, is it?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    3 words? Jobs, jobs, jobs.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,359

Three word slogans for Labour

Strong and stable.

Oh, already copyrighted?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

3 words? Jobs, jobs, jobs.

They already used that one