Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest polling on government’s handling of COVID 19 crisis and

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest polling on government’s handling of COVID 19 crisis and whether EdSec Williamson should quit

Latest Opinium approval rating on government's handling of COVID 19 has a net minus 17% pic.twitter.com/sZa4uKvBZG

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,135
    edited August 2020
    It hasn't been a great Covid performance. Dido to the rescue!

Should Williamson go? Dido to the rescue?

Oh and first.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    As long as more Tory and Leave voters think Williamson should stay than he should go he will remain in post, especially as Swinney has not resigned in Scotland after a similar botch up
  • Options
    Where's the "he should never have been appointed in the first place"?

Something about the tarantula loving Williamson gives me the heebie jeebies.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,135
    HYUFD said:

As long as more Tory and Leave voters think Williamson should stay than he should go he will remain in post, especially as Swinney has not resigned in Scotland after a similar botch up

No point getting rid of a human shield.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

He used to be the chief whip, difficult to get rid of because he knows where all the bodies are buried.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

He used to be the chief whip, difficult to get rid of because he knows where all the bodies are buried.
    Didn't stop BoJo getting rid of Julian Smith.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

He seems perfectly suited to the role of Chief Whip. Anything that involves creeping out MPs and he did a reasonable job at keeping them in line when he was in that position. Why send him out to speak to voters though? The whips office works for him, he should not be in a voter-facing Cabinet role.
  • Options

Oh and first.

She's "No Angel".
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Supposedly Williamson was actually very good at it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

He seems perfectly suited to the role of Chief Whip. Anything that involves creeping out MPs and he did a reasonable job at keeping them in line when he was in that position. Why send him out to speak to voters though? The whips office works for him, he should not be in a voter-facing Cabinet role.
    I'm not sure if the chief whip needs security clearance or to sit on the privy council, he would struggle with both because of his leaking of top secret material wrt Huawei when he was defence secretary.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,020

Oh and first.

Dido and the anus.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Give him the job back.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'm not sure if the chief whip needs security clearance or to sit on the privy council, he would struggle with both because of his leaking of top secret material wrt Huawei when he was defence secretary.
    He's on the Privy Council already.
  • Options
    Oh thanks for all the Dido talk listening to No Angel for the first time in about 18 years (can't believe its been that long) - it really was a great album, it still sounds good.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,413
    edited August 2020
    Oh, and in "botch the omnishambles news", the government have explained what they're doing with GCSE results.

On Thursday, schools will issue the grades they estimated. Meanwhile, Ofqual will run their model, and final results (which may go up from the school-issued grades) will be issued sometime next week...

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/gcse-and-a-level-students-to-receive-centre-assessment-grades

Meanwhile, the ghost of Chris Grayling is trying to look at a camera and say "do you miss me yet?" Unfortunately, the camera is pointing the wrong way.
  • Options
    Gavin Williamson looks like his Dad leant him his suit for "take your child to work" day
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Wasnt his time as chief whip basically when half the cabinet and a third of the party was out to sabotage the PM? Not sure how a chief whip can be deemed good in that scenario.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,778
    edited August 2020
    I would say Williamson is one of the 20 worst current members of parliament and on that basis alone I think he should resign and make room for a better cabinet replacement. Unfortunately the other 19 that make up the 20 worst MPs are also in the cabinet.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Wasnt his time as chief whip basically when half the cabinet and a third of the party was out to sabotage the PM? Not sure how a chief whip can be deemed good in that scenario.
    No. That happened in 2018 after he left the Whips office. 2017 the Party was remarkably united, even after the disastrous election.
  • Options
    Gavin Williamson looks like he is one call away from turning up at reception asking for help finding his Mummy
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952
    edited August 2020

MaxPB said:

To be fair though. Julian Smith did only manage to get Stormont back up and running and win the respect of all sides in 204 days in Northern Ireland.
    Not a fair comparison with Williamson by any measure.
  • Options
    Oh its more from Captain Hindsight. Shame he didn't spot any incompetence in advance.

The government have done the right thing, ultimately. That will never be enough for Captain Hindsight though.
  • Options

Oh its more from Captain Hindsight. Shame he didn't spot any incompetence in advance.

The government have done the right thing, ultimately. That will never be enough for Captain Hindsight though.

Is this the new CCHQ line then?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

What, do you mean 'Captain Hindsight'? :lol:
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

No. That happened in 2018 after he left the Whips office. 2017 the Party was remarkably united, even after the disastrous election.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Conservative_Party_leadership_election

According to wiki, Davis, Johnson, and Hammond were battling for the leadership "in a battle that could tear the government apart" in 2017, resulting in May having to announce her resignation date. One of Davis' allies was organising letters to force a contest. Johnson set out his own vision of Brexit which was different to the PMs.

If the PM has to announce her forthcoming resignation with the senior cabinet members openly plotting against her, that is not a party where the chief whip is doing well.
  • Options

No line, I have no connection with CCHQ. Would I have just spent the last couple of days attacking the government and calling for a u-turn if I did?

Its funny. Called him it a few times in the past month but now its really taking the piss, he really is taking this Hindsight malarkey to whole new levels: attacking the government for doing what his own party also did and which he had nothing to say against until now - what a farce.

It should be enough that the news is showing clips of Williamson apologising for this, but no he needs to keep on digging. Why? He's banging on now that the problem has been there for months but so has he and he's had NOTHING to say about it until now.

Keir Starmer's origin story:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzWq2qWbTpo
  • Options
    He used to be at Deutsche Bank, and did a pretty good job there too. I also doubt that Javid has any pull left. This is JP paying for a name to sit on some nothing advisory board.

It does, however, give us quite a big insight that Javid has given up his leadership ambitions.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,767
    edited August 2020
    Is the programme that bbc2 are currently airing 'the trial of alex salmond' a new broadcast?

What a horrible thing. A complete witch-hunt, and of a person found innocent of witchery.

• Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

According to wiki, Davis, Johnson, and Hammond were battling for the leadership "in a battle that could tear the government apart" in 2017, resulting in May having to announce her resignation date. One of Davis' allies was organising letters to force a contest. Johnson set out his own vision of Brexit which was different to the PMs.

If the PM has to announce her forthcoming resignation with the senior cabinet members openly plotting against her, that is not a party where the chief whip is doing well.
    Not in 2017, none of that happened in 2017.

May announced her resignation date in 2019 not 2017. The letters were organised in 2018 not 2017. Johnson's alternative vision was in 2018 not 2017.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2020
    Ding! Ding! Ding!

This is what I was saying. I was calling for a u-turn before the Leader of the Opposition. What the actual f**k. He needs to start opposing in advance and not just be Captain Hindsight.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,390
    Scott_xP said:
    No they aren't, they're shit.

That awful Cummings mask that didn't even work being a case in point. What even is this one?
  • Options

No line, I have no connection with CCHQ. Would I have just spent the last couple of days attacking the government and calling for a u-turn if I did?

Its funny. Called him it a few times in the past month but now its really taking the piss, he really is taking this Hindsight malarkey to whole new levels: attacking the government for doing what his own party also did and which he had nothing to say against until now - what a farce.

It should be enough that the news is showing clips of Williamson apologising for this, but no he needs to keep on digging. Why? He's banging on now that the problem has been there for months but so has he and he's had NOTHING to say about it until now.

Labour have no need to offer anything other than looking competent at the moment.

If the govt performs well or even averagely they get re-elected regardless of how wonderful Labour might be.

If the govt performs badly they would still get re-elected if Labour are perceived as Corbynite nutters, but would fall as long as people think Labour are a safe pair of hands, however little they have said about anything.

I think their strategy of pointing out govt failures without getting bogged down in offering alternatives plays to the percentages.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,951
    MaxPB said:

He used to be at Deutsche Bank, and did a pretty good job there too. I also doubt that Javid has any pull left. This is JP paying for a name to sit on some nothing advisory board.

It does, however, give us quite a big insight that Javid has given up his leadership ambitions.
    What normally happens is that these "advisors" speak at conferences and to select clients about their view of the world.

It's the finance version of becoming an after dinner speaker.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,807
    Lest we forget, we have still have the September schools' return to successfully complete.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,588
    Scott_xP said:
    I missed out on this one. Where was the job advertised? Perhaps up Cummings rectum?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

What normally happens is that these "advisors" speak at conferences and to select clients about their view of the world.

Exactly, it will be "oh look JP have got a former chancellor giving a speech/lecture". Makes the elite clients feel valued, I guess.

We tried to get Kaz Hirai now that he's fully stepped down from Sony, but he didn't want to do it apparently.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Not to mention a very effective and impossible to stop "bribe" to any existing and future cabinet member knowing they will be looked after financially when they leave the cabinet if they look after the bankers.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,882
    Pro_Rata said:

Lest we forget, we have still have the September schools' return to successfully complete.

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1295465652044681218

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1295465879967334400
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,188
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    I missed out on this one. Where was the job advertised? Perhaps up Cummings rectum?
    Is she one of the misfits and weirdos that Cummings wants running Britain?
  • Options

Labour have no need to offer anything other than looking competent at the moment.

If the govt performs well or even averagely they get re-elected regardless of how wonderful Labour might be.

If the govt performs badly they would still get re-elected if Labour are perceived as Corbynite nutters, but would fall as long as people think Labour are a safe pair of hands, however little they have said about anything.

I think their strategy of pointing out govt failures without getting bogged down in offering alternatives plays to the percentages.
    If you have nothing to say until after the fact I'm not sure how competent you'll look. Labour don't even need to give alternative solutions - even calling for change in advance would be enough.

Having flagged something as an issue in advance means when it blows up you're taken far more seriously. That isn't happening.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,647

He warned the government a week ago that they needed to change course on this one.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    MaxPB said:

An investment banker who did a good job pre-2010? It's possible I suppose.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,390
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Exactly, it will be "oh look JP have got a former chancellor giving a speech/lecture".
    It would also be rather naive to think that when in office, politicians are not well aware of the lucrative speaking engagements and advisory positions that may follow decisions made in the favour of certain companies. Not saying that that's the case here, because I don't think Javid was Chancellor long enough to make any.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Brutal. And from the Mail.

Tory backbenchers will be on WhatsApp tonight.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

Scott_xP said:
    No they aren't, they're shit.

That awful Cummings mask that didn't even work being a case in point. What even is this one?
    Doesn't matter. The Star attracts an audience with zero interest in politics.
    If it is leading on a political story it means folk are talking about it. Folk who don't talk about politics as a rule.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,588

rcs1000 said:

MaxPB said:

Not to mention a very effective and impossible to stop "bribe" to any existing and future cabinet member knowing they will be looked after financially when they leave the cabinet if they look after the bankers.
    Absolutely. you scratch my back and i will scratch yours.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,936

As I pointed out on the last thread, OFQual flatly refused to publicise their grading model before the results were published. The stats academics who asked to see it were informed that they would have to sign five year NDAs (5!) if they wanted access.

Accusing Starner of acting in hindsight by criticising the grading model before the results were published of hindsight seems a bit rich. How exactly is he supposed to have critiqued a model that no one had access to except OFQual & DofE insiders?
  • Options

He warned the government a week ago that they needed to change course on this one.
    So not before the story was already explosive on the news then?

And he didn't think to speak to the Government his party runs in Wales? Whose First Minister is still standing by the system but saying they're only changing because the English have?
  • Options
    edited August 2020

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

May announced her resignation date in 2019 not 2017. The letters were organised in 2018 not 2017. Johnson's alternative vision was in 2018 not 2017.
    There are plenty of contemporaneous links on wiki in 2017, here is the 15 Sept 2017 BJ article

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/15/exclusive-boris-johnson-yes-will-take-back-350m-eu-nhs/

If you want to think wiki is making it all up fine.
  • Options
    Phil said:

As I pointed out on the last thread, OFQual flatly refused to publicise their grading model before the results were published. The stats academics who asked to see it were informed that they would have to sign five year NDAs (5!) if they wanted access.

Accusing Starner of acting in hindsight by criticising the grading model before the results were published of hindsight seems a bit rich. How exactly is he supposed to have critiqued a model that no one had access to except OFQual & DofE insiders?
    If he'd had any concerns whatsoever he could have said that exams were too important an issue to be subjected to an unscrutinised and unpublished model.

Instead the Education Unions and the Labour Party Government endorsed it, until his Hindsight abilities took over.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

There are plenty of contemporaneous links on wiki in 2017, here is the 15 Sept 2017 BJ article

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/15/exclusive-boris-johnson-yes-will-take-back-350m-eu-nhs/

That article wasn't running against May's policy, he was still in the Cabinet at that time. The £350m was government policy accepted by May so no it wasn't Johnson running against her.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes indeed. Daughter of a Lord, granddaughter of a Field Marshal, educated at Leweston, PPE from Oxford - a total outsider who will really shake the establishment elite.
    I think when Boris heard there was a shortage of PPE he might have got confused and thought people wanted yet more PPE alumni to run the country.
  • Options
    I suspect swotty Starmar can't quite bring himself to celebrate kids being given qualifications based on back of a fag packet calculations. It IS very difficult but I just wonder if there was something else that might have been done.

I once briefly worked for the international baccalaureate. You had schools from all over the world. If a school's performance was markedly up or down over a year we would flag it. Some teacher's (not the majority) marking and predictions were a little eccentric shall we say. Generally on the up side. If you aren't sure whether to predict a B or a C which way do you think they go?

I feel sorry for people who sat A levels last year who have a taken a gap year and won't be going to as good universities as worse students with particularly generous teachers.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Pro_Rata said:

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1295465652044681218

https://twitter.com/tamcohen/status/1295465879967334400
    Do we think the schools reopening will go smoothly, betting people?
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,324
    edited August 2020
    William Hague compares A-level to the poll tax:

This pattern of a flawed starting assumption and perfectly rational decisions that flowed from it has been once again plain to see in the debacle of the A-level results.
    ... [huge snippage]
    In a striking parallel to the poll tax, the overall outcome was broadly defensible but the individual impact was not.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/17/a-levels-debacle-threatened-another-poll-tax-moment-tories/
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

That article wasn't running against May's policy, he was still in the Cabinet at that time. The £350m was government policy accepted by May so no it wasn't Johnson running against her.
    This is silly. On the 18th September 2017 the pair exchanged:

"The prime minister delivered a modest slap on the foreign secretary's wrist: "Boris is Boris", "this government is driven from the front".

Mr Johnson allowed himself a modicum of self-abasement: "There is only one driver in this car... and it is Theresa.""

Clearly they were divided and it was a threat to her, a successful threat in the end even if it dragged on for two years. Im out.
  • Options

This pattern of a flawed starting assumption and perfectly rational decisions that flowed from it has been once again plain to see in the debacle of the A-level results.
    ... [huge snippage]
    In a striking parallel to the poll tax, the overall outcome was broadly defensible but the individual impact was not.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/08/17/a-levels-debacle-threatened-another-poll-tax-moment-tories/

Agreed 100%

Thankfully the government saw sense and swiftly ended this rather than digging their heels in like Thatcher did with the poll tax.
  • Options

So not before the story was already explosive on the news then?

And he didn't think to speak to the Government his party runs in Wales? Whose First Minister is still standing by the system but saying they're only changing because the English have?
    It's very amusing to see you desparately looking for anyone to blame but the Tories for yet another government fuck-up. :smile:
  • Options

Do we think the schools reopening will go smoothly, betting people?

No
  • Options

Phil said:

If he'd had any concerns whatsoever he could have said that exams were too important an issue to be subjected to an unscrutinised and unpublished model.

Instead the Education Unions and the Labour Party Government endorsed it, until his Hindsight abilities took over.
    Thank you for the correction Philip! In the same vein I look forward to everything that goes wrong with Brexit after Jan 1st 2020 also being Labour’s fault. After all, they should have known what the government was planning and told them it wasn’t going to work beforehand!
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Yes indeed. Daughter of a Lord, granddaughter of a Field Marshal, educated at Leweston, PPE from Oxford - a total outsider who will really shake the establishment elite.
    Not just any PPE - according to wiki she studied alongside Cameron under Vernon Bogdanor. Perhaps we need a film made - The Class of '85 or something.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

One thing that really does strike me is what a piss-poor judge of people Johnson is. This is really the most feeble cabinet in living memory, full of quarterwits, but then we see who he thinks deserves a seat in the upper house, and now a critical role controlling our response to the pandemic. As long as they kiss his arse they are in.

Indeed. We don't need hindsight to understand that the next things the likes of Williamson, Raab, Grayling, Harding touch are unlikely to be any better than the rest of their shambolic careers, regardless of how "sound" they are in supporting the PM and Brexit.
  • Options
    At some point, these continuous cock ups have got to hurt the Tory lead, even if Labour does nothing. The Tories must surely lose points. Am I mad?
  • Options

... [huge snippage]

Agreed 100%

Thankfully the government saw sense and swiftly ended this rather than digging their heels in like Thatcher did with the poll tax.
    'Swift' would have been a week ago. They clearly tried to brazen it out and failed miserably - as we all knew they would.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

One thing that really does strike me is what a piss-poor judge of people Johnson is. This is really the most feeble cabinet in living memory, full of quarterwits, but then we see who he thinks deserves a seat in the upper house, and now a critical role controlling our response to the pandemic. As long as they kiss his arse they are in.

Yep. You've got the measure of it.

Hunt is remarkable quiet this week...
  • Options
    Phil said:

Phil said:

Thank you for the correction Philip! In the same vein I look forward to everything that goes wrong with Brexit after Jan 1st 2020 also being Labour’s fault. After all, they should have known what the government was planning and told them it wasn’t going to work beforehand!
    Labour have been attacking Tory Brexit policies for years, that's not the same thing at all!

On this they had nothing whatsoever to say, so should just let the government own the u-turn and STFU rather than keep digging. Hope the media ignores Labour's complicity in this.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    If Williamson is not resigned for this , the mind boggles what someone has to do to lose their cabinet job.

Scrub that, all you have to do is question Cummings. Poor Javid. I wonder if Don will let him back when Williamson finally goes.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,302
    Williamson won't go. Boris will make sure of it.

He's doing to take down the Union and the Conservative Party with him.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Not just any PPE - according to wiki she studied alongside Cameron under Vernon Bogdanor. Perhaps we need a film made - The Class of '85 or something.
    Also according to wiki:

She is married to Conservative Party Member of Parliament John Penrose, who sits on the advisory board of think tank "1828" which calls for "the NHS to be replaced by an insurance system and for Public Health England to be scrapped."

I think I can see where this one is headed.
  • Options

At some point, these continuous cock ups have got to hurt the Tory lead, even if Labour does nothing. The Tories must surely lose points. Am I mad?

The next election is most likely in 2024, have patience. Either they will improve, in which case its fine, or if they continue to cock up their lead will sap away, but it may not happen sharply whilst we are still in a global crisis.
  • Options

If there was an alternative government-in-waiting with alternative ideas then that might make it tougher for the government.
  • Options

Nothing is going to change on that front until Brexit is done & dusted. The Tory vote consists of core Tories & the Brexiteers who have lent them their vote to 'get Brexit done'. After January 2021 the latter’s votes might be back in play, but for the moment Johnson is their man and they’re sticking by him.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,268
    edited August 2020

No - it amazes me it has not already happened

If I was a conservative mp my letter would be written just waiting for a date in early new year post brexit
  • Options

No - it amazes me it has not already happened

If I was a conservative mp my letter would be written just waiting for a date in early new year post brexit
    My respect grows for you G.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited August 2020

Williamson won't go. Boris will make sure of it.

He's doing to take down the Union and the Conservative Party with him.

Why should it take down the Union when the Scottish government made exactly the same errors and Swinney is also facing calls to resign?

More Tory voters also think Williamson should stay than go
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Again, it’s Brexit derangement syndrome. Brexit has warped British politics & until it’s done and dusted one way or another there’s no hope of things going back to normal.

Johnson’s criteria for cabinet membership was: a) absolute loyalty to Johnson and b) total commitment to whatever Brexit Johnson deems as Brexit.

This left a rather short list of “talent” to choose from.
This discussion has been closed.