Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So far the Kamala Harris announcement hasn’t impacted on the W

124»

Comments

• Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,202
    Yokes said:

Belarus

72 hours for President Big Hat to stay put and by doing so putting a lid on the situation. This is a very finely balanced situation.

That does indeed seem to be indications that his control of the apparatus is weakened, though it could also be good tactics to release protestors and de-escalate to play for time, but who is calling the shots? Government pictures showed a meeting he was meant to be at, but he wasn't at it, or if he was, he wasn't in the picture whilst others were.

Its unclear right now.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    This is interesting - a bipartisan (how many bills do you see sponsored by both Corbyn and Sinema ?) bill to encourage the recreation of domestic chip manufacturing industry in the US:

CHIPS Act Targets Post-Globalized Industry
    https://www.eetimes.com/chips-act-targets-post-globalized-industry/

They are getting seriously worried about China.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

That’s because there are a strictly limited number of places, so if they are full you have to wait til next year. I’ve seen it happen in normally years with mistakes made by exam boards.

Oh, and the first floor windows on the left of that building as you look at them? My room in my first year!
    A friend of mine went to Oxford, I wonder if all these years later they think it was worth it or not.
    Without of course knowing your friend I would have said of course it was worth it 1 Not many get the opportunity or reward for hard work to study at one of the best places in the world
    We've ended up in similar places and I've probably had a much easier time education wise than he has. Not saying I didn't work as hard as him, just Oxford is a lot more stringent and tough than anything I had to experience, is my understanding.

I hope he does feel it was worth it. I was never clever enough to go - but I don't look back on my quite poor A-Levels as having impacted my life much at all :)
    Well I never went to Oxbridge either but would of thought the experience of doing so would never be a regret . You only live once so if you have the opportunity you surely have to take it
    A medical friend of mine got into Cambridge and hated it, but managed to transfer to Sheffield Uni for the Clinical years. He was much happier in Sheffield, after what he described as a toxic paranoid few years in Cambridge.

On the other hand my brother had a great time there. It is horses for courses.
    yes but they both had to go at least initially because if you had the opportunity and never went you could die wondering. I always think nobody gets every opportunity in life so when you do (get one)you don't want to die wondering
    I was offered a place at Oxford to do chemistry, but decided to do Medicine in London instead. I have never regretted not going to Oxford.
    Well for medicine London is without equal I believe . Generally though why wouldn't a young person take such a chance if they get the opportunity.
    London is odd. Certainly its medical schools have always enjoyed high reputations but they are unrecognisable now from the 1980s (and a century before that) following a series of mergers and reorganisations. They are now fewer but far larger institutions, and generally combined with non-medical colleges.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Can anyone explain the logic of decisions that now come out of this government?

Does the government want to move the news agenda on from exam results?

Does the government think that moving the news agenda on makes a problem go away?
    Someone does. Can't think who that might be.
    I predicted this this morning and it will be big news tomorrow
    Two flaws with that (not in your reading of the situation, but in the thinking of whichever Bright Young Dom dreamt this up).

1 In general, problems don't go away when you throw a dead cat on the table. They just have to share the table with a cat corpse, to go with all the other decaying remains of cats on the table already. It's smart campaigning, but foolish government. (Which is the general problem we have in the UK right now).

2 In this particular case, the exam problem won't go away because there's another round of exam results hitting schools in 6 days time...
    Universities just did students exams online this year, so should schools, grades by algorithm are absurd
    The schools should have been allowed to host exams as normal. It is relatively easy to achieve social distancing, and probably most exam halls did so even in a normal year, and there would be no talking so not much worry about airborne viruses. It is different for universities because their students would be scattered around the country and it would have been impracticable to bring them back just for exams.

Ah, I wonder if that explains that otherwise stupid decision to cancel. Ministers educated at boarding schools whose students would be scattered, did not reflect that 99 per cent of schools, even most public schools, are not like that.
  • Options
    "does indeed seem to be indications that his control of the apparatus is weakened"

Sadly MANY men Lukashenko's age find their control of the apparatus weakening.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

That’s because there are a strictly limited number of places, so if they are full you have to wait til next year. I’ve seen it happen in normally years with mistakes made by exam boards.

Oh, and the first floor windows on the left of that building as you look at them? My room in my first year!
    A friend of mine went to Oxford, I wonder if all these years later they think it was worth it or not.
    Without of course knowing your friend I would have said of course it was worth it 1 Not many get the opportunity or reward for hard work to study at one of the best places in the world
    We've ended up in similar places and I've probably had a much easier time education wise than he has. Not saying I didn't work as hard as him, just Oxford is a lot more stringent and tough than anything I had to experience, is my understanding.

I hope he does feel it was worth it. I was never clever enough to go - but I don't look back on my quite poor A-Levels as having impacted my life much at all :)
    Well I never went to Oxbridge either but would of thought the experience of doing so would never be a regret . You only live once so if you have the opportunity you surely have to take it
    A medical friend of mine got into Cambridge and hated it, but managed to transfer to Sheffield Uni for the Clinical years. He was much happier in Sheffield, after what he described as a toxic paranoid few years in Cambridge.

yes but they both had to go at least initially because if you had the opportunity and never went you could die wondering. I always think nobody gets every opportunity in life so when you do (get one)you don't want to die wondering
    I was offered a place at Oxford to do chemistry, but decided to do Medicine in London instead. I have never regretted not going to Oxford.
    Well for medicine London is without equal I believe . Generally though why wouldn't a young person take such a chance if they get the opportunity.
    London is odd. Certainly its medical schools have always enjoyed high reputations but they are unrecognisable now from the 1980s (and a century before that) following a series of mergers and reorganisations. They are now fewer but far larger institutions, and generally combined with non-medical colleges.
    As Sherlock Holmes / A Conan Doyle fan, always assumed that Edinburgh was leading UK center of medical education. OR did that end when Burke & Hare got burked?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

As Sherlock Holmes / A Conan Doyle fan, always assumed that Edinburgh was leading UK center of medical education. OR did that end when Burke & Hare got burked?
    Scotland has its own education system, and its own medical professional organisations (aka royal colleges).
  • Options
    Re: admissions, the great strength of LSU (aka Louisiana State University) is based on it's loyal fan base across the Pelican State. Which is NOT product of exceptional teaching or cutting-edge research, but instead the prowess of our football team, the current NCAA national champions - geaux Tigres!

AND one basis of that loyalty is that (at least when I attended) admission as 1st-year freshman was guaranteed for ANY graduate of a Louisiana high school (public or private) with a C or better grade average. NOT a high bar. Coming up with tuition, room & board bit more challenging, but first NOT high for in-state students.

Joke at LSU History Department (when I was a grad student there) was that every C student in the state was entitled to one semester of LSU football, free attendance to games being the chief non-scholastic benefit of enrollment.
  • Options

It’s a difficult question to answer as I don’t know what would have happened if I had gone to Imperial instead. I would have had a different set of friends and probably never learned to punt, but beyond that, who knows?
    Oxford graduate, and I am fairly certain I made the most of the opportunities it provided me. Had a rough 2nd year but my PhD years were boss - doing high level research, running the college bar and a sometime security guard. Loved it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,680
    edited August 2020
    "A US businesswoman who has expressed support for the QAnon conspiracy theory has won the Republican nomination for a seat in the House of Representatives.

Marjorie Taylor Greene is now expected to be elected in November to represent Georgia's heavily conservative 14th congressional district, and become QAnon's first devotee in Congress.

It comes amid a social media crackdown on the conspiracy theory. QAnon says "deep-state" traitors are plotting against Donald Trump.

Ms Greene is part of a growing list of Republican candidates to express support for the conspiracy theory."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53747851
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"A US businesswoman who has expressed support for the QAnon conspiracy theory has won the Republican nomination for a seat in the House of Representatives.

Marjorie Taylor Greene is now expected to be elected in November to represent Georgia's heavily conservative 14th congressional district, and become QAnon's first devotee in Congress.

It comes amid a social media crackdown on the conspiracy theory. QAnon says "deep-state" traitors are plotting against Donald Trump.

Ms Greene is part of a growing list of Republican candidates to express support for the conspiracy theory."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-53747851

A cracked Cracker.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,779
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

Irish PM says Boris told him he was committed to getting a comprehensive trade deal with the EU, if so that means regulatory alignment and cue uproar from the likes of Francois, Redwood, Baker and Cash
    Francois? Who he?
    Sounds like a Johnny Foreigner to me.

I believe the key sticking point in the Brexit negotiations is where Francois resides post agreement. The UK government understandably are insisting that France take him back but so far It’s a big “Non” from Macron.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,710
    MaxPB said:

Monkeys said:

It's like when Watson explains to Holmes that the earth goes round the sun.

"This is a three-blog problem."

That would actually be a good political joke given the Lib Dems have taken about 47 years to pick a new leader.
    Agreed. I think in this day and age in UK politics, parties really don't have months to be pissing around with half year long leadership contests.

If you're in government, you need a new leader in a month. Tops.
    If you're the main opposition, I'd say the same.
    If you're of the opinion that you are a major political party (and I think the LDs DO think that, even though they have few MPs, they have a lot of history behind them, and a lot of votes) then I'd say six to eight weeks.

Both Labour and the LDs should've had a new leader by end of February at the latest. End of January really.

I really do not get this pissing around. I see initially they had considered delaying the election to May 2021. I mean, seriously? What if a political crisis had arisen and an autumn 2020 GE had been seen as a way out. Can you imagine the debate question to Davey. "So Mr. Davey, why should we vote for you, given you might be replaced next year?"
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Completely over reaction. Again.

The trouble is this administration seems increasingly to be trying to operate a zero cases policy which will involve the total cratering of our economy and way of life.

Indeed. Utterly ridiculous and there are now presumably hundreds of thousands of British holidaymakers in France wondering WTF they are supposed to do now.
    Err. Perhaps they ought to have given it a modicum of thought before going?
    Boris Saves Summer!!! Get your holiday bargains!!!
    What will happen if I need to quarantine?
    This was always a distinct possibility.
    Wait, so it’s their fault for going to France even though it was perfectly legal to do so?
    No. But it ought to have been part of their risk assessment. "Wondering what they are supposed to do now" should have been part of the thinking before leaving.
    It's perfectly legal to jump out of a plane. However I have little sympathy for those who don't use a parachute.
    That’s an absurdly draconian outlook. Either it’s legal to visit France or it isn’t.
    It is and was legal.

But you went in full knowledge that the rules on quarantine could change quickly.

I went to the US in the knowledge that I would need to quarantine so factored that into my plans. Others went to France and took on the risk that they might need to if the rules changed. If they didn’t factor that risk in they made a mistake.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

As proud LSU graduate, will say that ANY college that does NOT have a live tiger as mascot is NOT really trying,

Our proud boast is, we are the dumbest students - and alumni - in the world! Except of course for the Aggies of Texas A&M, home (naturally) of the George W. Bush Presidential Library.

Texas A&M has a great vet school
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited August 2020
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

The trouble is this administration seems increasingly to be trying to operate a zero cases policy which will involve the total cratering of our economy and way of life.

Indeed. Utterly ridiculous and there are now presumably hundreds of thousands of British holidaymakers in France wondering WTF they are supposed to do now.
    Wait, so it’s their fault for going to France even though it was perfectly legal to do so?
    No. But it ought to have been part of their risk assessment. "Wondering what they are supposed to do now" should have been part of the thinking before leaving.
    It's perfectly legal to jump out of a plane. However I have little sympathy for those who don't use a parachute.
    That’s an absurdly draconian outlook. Either it’s legal to visit France or it isn’t.
    It is and was legal.

But you went in full knowledge that the rules on quarantine could change quickly.

I went to the US in the knowledge that I would need to quarantine so factored that into my plans. Others went to France and took on the risk that they might need to if the rules changed. If they didn’t factor that risk in they made a mistake.
    Very sensible person on Today Programme this morning.

'We planned to return 2 weeks before the start of school term anyway, so we will be continuing our holiday as planned".

Easy-peasy !!
  • Options
  • Options
    MattW said:

Charles said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

It is and was legal.

Very sensible person on Today Programme this morning.

'We planned to return 2 weeks before the start of school term anyway, so we will be continuing our holiday as planned".

Easy-peasy !!
    I think anyone travelling abroad ought in any case to be very careful about interacting with others for a period on their return.
  • Options
    Interesting Politico article.

What Harris Got from Biden During Her Job Interview
    https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/08/13/joe-biden-kamala-harris-relationship-395160
    Joe Biden is 77. Kamala Harris is 55. They come from different coasts and didn’t overlap in the Senate. There aren’t many people who know both of them well.

Dylan Loewe is an exception. The 37-year-old speechwriter spent most of 2012 and 2013 sitting next to Biden on Air Force Two revising drafts of the vice president’s remarks.

“For two years I spent more time with him than anyone in my life, including my wife,” Loewe said. “I had a very close experience with him in terms of observing him and understanding him and channeling him.”

A few years later Kamala Harris asked him to help her write her memoir, "The Truths We Hold," which was released early last year before she ran for president. By Loewe’s estimation they spent some 200 hours together.

“Working with someone on a memoir is different,” he said. “You are part staff, part therapist, part friend. You get to ask them questions you would never ask as a staffer. You’re interviewing them and pulling out the best stories.” He once spent a morning with the senator talking about the emotionally grueling ordeal of her mother’s death.

For Loewe, who is still fond of both candidates, their political marriage has been exhilarating. “This is what it must feel like for children of divorce to see their parents get back together,” he said. “There are people who know Harris better than I do and people who know Biden better than I do, but there’s nobody who knows them both as well as I do."...
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Suspect we are about to get de-threaded, but a very interesting policy proposal from Layla Moran:

"Several of the key actions have to be taken by the government. This includes accelerating ... converting the natural gas network to hydrogen"

That will blow up in Layla's face, I think.

https://www.libdemvoice.org/layla-moran-writes-tackling-the-environmental-crisis-from-the-bottom-up-65594.html
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,986
    Pro_Rata said:

Boris governs like Eric Morecambe plays piano.

No

Eric played all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order.

BoZo hasn't worked out how to open the lid yet...
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    Ave_it said:

I think at worst Biden makes very little change but at least he'll look and talk like an actual man rather than a fat baby

If I were a US citizen, I would certainly vote for Biden for that reason alone. As I'm not, I have to confess I really don't mind who wins. There's a naughty part of me that will be very amused if Trump does it again.
    SSSSH you are not allowed to say that on here (last sentence)!
    glw said:

I think at worst Biden makes very little change but at least he'll look and talk like an actual man rather than a fat baby

If I were a US citizen, I would certainly vote for Biden for that reason alone. As I'm not, I have to confess I really don't mind who wins. There's a naughty part of me that will be very amused if Trump does it again.
    See back in early 2016 the idea that Trump winning would be a great laugh was how things got rolling on social media. Even places now as infamous as Reddit's banned /r/The_Donald subreddit were mainly in it for the laughs and memes. That even held through the primaries, nomination and up to the election. His "supporters" knew full well that Trump was an idiot unfit to hold any office, never mind the Presidency. But Trump did win, and the consequences have been disastrous because inevitably a crisis did arise and he has completey screwed-up. Sadly many of the people who thought it would be a laugh became true-believers and now forgive Trump doing all the same sort of things that they criticised Obama, Bush, and Clinton for.

A second term would be a hoot in a high-budget HBO drama, a second term in the real world is simply too dangerous to countenance. I do not want to find out what Trump would do if God forbid it another "9/11" occured or something of that ilk.
    Obviously, I don't agree. In office, Trump has been considerably less warlike than Hillary would have been. There's no reason to assume that would stop. I am not saying he's a good President, but I don't accept that him winning has been a disaster for the world. There are a lot of people in the Middle East who are alive today because he won and Hillary lost.
  • Options

I very much applaud the idea that where Unionism has been going wrong is not displaying enough Union flags.

https://twitter.com/markdiffley1/status/1294015753969172480?s=20

I don"t see why they wouldn't be? Protects funded by the EU and the Scottish Government are.
  • Options

I very much applaud the idea that where Unionism has been going wrong is not displaying enough Union flags.

I don"t see why they wouldn't be? Protects funded by the EU and the Scottish Government are.
    Which made such an impact in the EU referendum...
  • Options

In Scotland?

Projects invariably include a plaque or similar detailing their funding, and this invariably includes the flag or emblem of those organisations. When the UK was in the EU, our subs (correct me if I'm wrong) came from the UK Govt., and then the EU kindly gave us some of or money back with projects emblazoned with their flag - quite a few in Scotland. That situation was a convenient one for the SNP. Not suggesting it won them elections, but it was a nice arrangement. Do they now expect the UK Government to disguise it's involvement in funding projects because...reasons?
  • Options
    I meant 'its'. Damn apostrophes.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    edited August 2020
    So Brits who have been travelling to and from France on half empty planes and trains and ferries have now been pushed all to come back today, on transport services that are now sold out without a seat to spare. With crowds more without tickets hanging around the ports hoping to squeeze on.

Another masterstroke in our campaign against a second wave.
  • Options
    The whole idea of air bridges should be abandoned and a two week quarantine added with the entire world just like New Zealand has done from the start and is still doing.

Let's get back to normal as much as we can domestically without reimporting this from abroad. If people want a holiday then support a domestic industry that needs your help right now.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

So Brits who have been travelling to and from France on half empty planes and trains and ferries have now been pushed all to come back today, on transport services that are now sold out without a seat to spare. With crowds more without tickets hanging around the ports hoping to squeeze on.

HMG have been warning against foreign travel for the last three weeks and that quarantine could be applied with little notice

Those who went abroad have to accept their own responsibility

I understand France has announced this morning that Paris is now in a red zone for covid along with the Marseilles region

Furthermore this is a UK wide policy endorsed by all the First Ministers
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Only if you are sensible, if you come from South East England your blinkers are stuck on London. Edinburgh has always been head and shoulders above them, stick with Sherlock rather than pb starry eyed Londoners.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    There are times that you read stories from the US and it appears to be from a third world tinpot country. Couldn't imagine that happening in this country, the Royal Mail isn't perfect but the idea of millions going without post for weeks ... and the USPS is under Federal jurisdiction too.
  • Options

In Scotland?

Projects invariably include a plaque or similar detailing their funding, and this invariably includes the flag or emblem of those organisations. When the UK was in the EU, our subs (correct me if I'm wrong) came from the UK Govt., and then the EU kindly gave us some of or money back with projects emblazoned with their flag - quite a few in Scotland. That situation was a convenient one for the SNP. Not suggesting it won them elections, but it was a nice arrangement. Do they now expect the UK Government to disguise it's involvement in funding projects because...reasons?
    Because the arses are just using our money , and trying to make out it is largesse and that we are paupers. They can stick their UK union plaques and projects up their arses.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    I wonder how many cases in Spain were imported by Brits coming on holiday here. The virus isn’t a one way bug. Also if holiday makers obey the rules in the countries they go to then their chance of infection is low.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HMG have been warning against foreign travel for the last three weeks and that quarantine could be applied with little notice

I understand France has announced this morning that Paris is now in a red zone for covid along with the Marseilles region

Agreed but I don't understand why 30h notice has been given. No notice should have been given.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

I wonder how many cases in Spain were imported by Brits coming on holiday here. The virus isn’t a one way bug. Also if holiday makers obey the rules in the countries they go to then their chance of infection is low.

Just a polite question but why do you want to blame Brits for Spain's woes
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

In Scotland?

Because the arses are just using our money , and trying to make out it is largesse and that we are paupers. They can stick their UK union plaques and projects up their arses.
    Well yes, but that's the case with the Scottish Government, and all the quangos like HIE. Spending our money and expecting to be thanked for it is pretty much what Governments do.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244

The whole idea of air bridges should be abandoned and a two week quarantine added with the entire world just like New Zealand has done from the start and is still doing.

Let's get back to normal as much as we can domestically without reimporting this from abroad. If people want a holiday then support a domestic industry that needs your help right now.

That’s pretty sanctimonious. What about people with family overseas in countries that are barely affected? Amazing how supposed free marketers on here are suddenly so keen to tell everyone how to spend their own money.

New Zealand has morphed from the outward bound swashbuckling nation of the fearsome Haka into hiding behind the blanket until the monsters go away. I find it very sad.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Agreed but I don't understand why 30h notice has been given. No notice should have been given.
    I suspect that it was considered reasonable
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,602
    I am amazed that the French are objecting to the necessary imposition of quarantine on returning UK visitors and threatening reciprocal measures. The measure surely bolsters their own apparent long term aim of discouraging as many UK visitors to France as possible, as evidenced by Macron's encouragement of EU threats to withdraw reciprocal agreements which encourage UK visitors to France such as those on the EHIC and data roaming.

Maybe the French are concerned that the UK has jumped the gun, such that their aim was only to discourage UK visitors from January 2021, rather than in the summer of 2020? Or maybe I am wrong, and the huff and puff on the likes of the EHIC and data roaming should be viewed as no more than empty threats because of the dependence of the French tourist industry on UK visitors.
  • Options

nichomar said:

I would imagine because he knows they are a bunch of arses that break enough rules at home and terrorise countries when they go abroad. Why Spain lets the oafs in is more of a question.
  • Options
    It would make more sense to place restrictions on people travelling around the UK from our known hotspot locations
  • Options

malcolmg said:

In Scotland?

Well yes, but that's the case with the Scottish Government, and all the quangos like HIE. Spending our money and expecting to be thanked for it is pretty much what Governments do.
    Well I doubt they get that many thanks, more brickbats. This will backfire big time on Bozo the clown , he is hated already and thinking he can pretend that he can take credit for spending our money will make us want to stay a colony is barking. He can F*** right off, the plaques will go in the bin.
  • Options
    moonshine said:

That’s pretty sanctimonious. What about people with family overseas in countries that are barely affected? Amazing how supposed free marketers on here are suddenly so keen to tell everyone how to spend their own money.

New Zealand has morphed from the outward bound swashbuckling nation of the fearsome Haka into hiding behind the blanket until the monsters go away. I find it very sad.
    My eldest emigrated to NZ in 2003 and has a Kiwi passport and though he now lives in Canada he cannot return to NZ even on holiday

Indeed the Aus - NZ Tasman air bridge has been delayed

A nephew of mine who was a professional sky diving instructor in NZ has returned home to Scotland permanently, as NZ tourism has been sacrificed for the policy of covid elimination
  • Options

nichomar said:

I’m not I’m just pointing out that infections travel in both directions, over 150 infection outbreaks have been tracked back to people who came through Madrid airport. It’s a global pandemic and yes some of the infections have been imported by Brits coming on holiday. The main sources of spread here are family gatherings, nightlife and agricultural workers. I don’t think my post blames the UK for Spain’s woes.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

I would imagine because he knows they are a bunch of arses that break enough rules at home and terrorise countries when they go abroad. Why Spain lets the oafs in is more of a question.
    Not very complimentary on your fellow Scots Malc
  • Options

malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

Unfortunately G, lots of them and even more English behave very poorly when they go abroad, it is embarrassing to watch and it s no wonder the UK has such a poor reputation abroad , Scottish one not as bad as England but far from perfect. The UK is in a poor state, on many levels.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

British oafs come from all four home nations with some other identifiable ‘qualities’. normally they are corralled in resorts like Benidorm during the season leaving us immigrants to enjoys these places when the oafs have gone home.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

nichomar said:

Unfortunately G, lots of them and even more English behave very poorly when they go abroad, it is embarrassing to watch and it s no wonder the UK has such a poor reputation abroad , Scottish one not as bad as England but far from perfect. The UK is in a poor state, on many levels.
    It is true that many younger Brits abroad are embarrassing and have been for decades
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    edited August 2020

In Scotland?

If anyone cares to send me their bank balance, I'll happily return 80% of it and a "Donation Courtesy of Matt W" plaque for your mantelpiece.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Given that the uptick in new cases reported from Spain, France and the rest is relatively recent, it is a little too early to draw definitive conclusions; ICU stats would lag at least two weeks and deaths by three to four weeks.

However the argument that a slice of the "new" cases being detected by current testing may actually be people who had the virus weeks back with few or no symptoms, and simply have the virus still hanging around in their system, is a persuasive one.

The argument in the video does however require that levels of immunity are significantly higher than the community antibody rates currently being found, in order to 'explain' why the original epidemic has subsided. As regulars will know, I have argued this possibility for some months now, but there remains little evidence for it, other than some hypotheses based on possible T-cell-based immunity (or resistance). There is also the difference between Europe and the US to explain - if the significant declines in Europe were due to community immunity being much higher than currently believed, why hasn't the same happened in the US? There the later surge in case rates has been matched by hospital statistics in states like California (which had an earlier wave that subsided), Florida and Texas.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited August 2020
    HYUFD said:

Irish PM says Boris told him he was committed to getting a comprehensive trade deal with the EU, if so that means regulatory alignment and cue uproar from the likes of Francois, Redwood, Baker and Cash
    Most democratic politicians have a habit of telling people what they want to hear.

Boris more than most.
This discussion has been closed.