Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Only days away now from the Biden VP choice and it’ll be a hug

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

It's kind of amusing to see a Lefty like @Gallowgate morph into an apologist for the Saudi regime :lol:

I’m more than happy for the Premier League to reject them. Then their hypocrisy can be exposed.
    Given that the rejection would be because of piracy it's not exactly hypocrisy. You seem to think that it's because they want to by Newcastle that makes this an issue, it would be an issue if they wanted to buy any club. Your victimhood does you no favours and has turned you into a apologist for an evil regime that murders children.
    Then why doesn’t the Premier League reject the deal?

We are limbo until they make a decision.
    They can't make a decision as the purchasing party has pulled out of the deal.
    That shows that you don’t really understand what is going on.

The purchasing party has not officially pulled out, regardless of their statement - the deal is still on the table, and has not been formally withdrawn. Conversations with the Premier League still continue.
    Trust me, I do know a lot.

Remember when I told you several months ago that the deal is likely to founder over piracy issues and you said I was wrong?

The Premier League and their lawyers are still waiting for answers to a plethora of questions they have asked.
    Questions they already have the answers to. The whole thing stinks and you don’t care because you’re a Liverpool fan and couldn’t give two sh*ts what happens to Newcastle.

Regardless you’re flip-flopping all over the place. One minute you say “oh but the deal has been pulled so that’s it” and then the next its “well they are waiting for answers”.

Stop pretending you know what’s going on.
    It's likely the answers received got a fully up in the form of "Are you sure that is what you are saying as it doesn't match your actions"
    Allegedly the Premier League is saying that PIF is not independent as MBS is chairman, and therefore want the Saudi State or MBS listed as an actual director.

This is hypocrisy, because we all know who really controls Manchester City and yet Sheikh Mansour is not listed as a director and thus not subject to the O&D test.

The whole thing stinks, and your opinion on Saudi Arabia should have no relevance on whether the test passes or not.

The test is designed to protect the club being bought, not to protect the Premier League.
    You are aware that I'm a Toon supporter and have probably been to more matches than you have..
    What relevance does that have?

Apparently Liverpool and Spurs have been lobbying the Premier League behind the scenes to reject the deal. Can’t you see that this whole palaver is simply a play to protect the top 6?

The Saudi state has been pouring money into Manchester United for the past 5 year through Saudi Telecom et al and yet nobody gave a sh*t about that.

The city of Newcastle could potentially miss out on millions of pounds of much needed investment if the deal is killed by jealous other clubs. They should keep their nebs out.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

Well 219 could have been worse given how shite our batting has been.

But Pakistan hold the cricketing equivalent of four aces.

I reckon they need no more than 150, possibly less given how the pitch was spinning latterly.
    They could forfeit an innings, put England back in and probably still win.

They won't, because Azhar Ali and Misbah ul Haq are not stupid and with two days left will want their bowlers to rest. But they could.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Broad really should be coming in ahead of Archer, at least on pitches not particularly suited to chin music. Indeed I remain of the view that Anderson and Archer is a pretty close shout.

But this team is at least 1 batsman short, arguably 4.

Archer?

Broad should be coming in ahead of Buttler,
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311
    Well, news to anyone who doesn't read PB anyway.
  • Options
    @Gallowgate

Saudi Arabia, however, also claimed victory, which was news to the WTO and most neutral observers, as well as the Premier League. It, of course, had been in negotiations with another part of the Saudi state for three months by that stage, as the Kingdom’s sovereign wealth fund, the Public Investment Fund, was trying to buy one of its clubs. The seller was happy and the money was never going to be a problem — but the stealing was.

Football’s Owners’ and Directors’ test is not the world’s toughest examination and several very underqualified people have sailed through it. But it is quite strong on people who have been pirating the league’s broadcasts, ignoring the league’s pleas to stop doing that and then pretending that the league had never asked them to intervene. Not that the piracy had anything to do with them, anyway.

The bottom line, once you get past all the nonsense about “no red flags”, “we’ve provided everything that was asked of us” and “we’ll be in charge by Wednesday”, is that a PIF-led deal to buy Newcastle United could never pass the Owners’ and Directors’ test without the Saudi government really shutting down beoutQ, lifting its temporary ban on beIN, compensating beIN for three years of damages and promising the Premier League, and every other leading sports competition in the world, that it would never steal their content again.

What did it do? It claimed victory at the WTO, pirating the WTO’s logo on bogus government press releases, banned beIN permanently and sent letters, including one from a PIF director, to British politicians telling them everything was hunky-dory and what is the hold-up with Newcastle?

https://theathletic.com/1965132/2020/07/31/newcastle-takeover-saudi-arabia-qatar-piracy-bein/

Ultimately the new owners refused to/couldn't show enough distance from the Saudi government.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    @TheScreamingEagles then the Premier League should reject the deal.

You know this stinks. Stop hiding behind the smokescreen. There is nothing fair about this whole process.

I note you continue to treat PIF and the Saudi state as one and the same, and yet say nothing about how the Premier League is happy that the “real owner” of Manchester City escapes the same scrutiny
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

stodge said:

eristdoof said:

Alec Stewart was after Russel, and I would class him as a decent keeper.

Of course the best ever England (wicket) keeper was Alan Knot, but that's over 40 years ago now.

What about Godfrey Evans?
    Les Ames might have Views on this too, of course.

Although at the time there were many who thought Duckworth was the better pure keeper.
    That had me wondering who The Souls are, and why they took an uncharacteristic interest in English cricket.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Broad really should be coming in ahead of Archer, at least on pitches not particularly suited to chin music. Indeed I remain of the view that Anderson and Archer is a pretty close shout.

Archer?

At this rate, Chris Martin would be in ahead of Buttler.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,987

eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

It's kind of amusing to see a Lefty like @Gallowgate morph into an apologist for the Saudi regime :lol:

I’m more than happy for the Premier League to reject them. Then their hypocrisy can be exposed.
    Given that the rejection would be because of piracy it's not exactly hypocrisy. You seem to think that it's because they want to by Newcastle that makes this an issue, it would be an issue if they wanted to buy any club. Your victimhood does you no favours and has turned you into a apologist for an evil regime that murders children.

The purchasing party has not officially pulled out, regardless of their statement - the deal is still on the table, and has not been formally withdrawn. Conversations with the Premier League still continue.

Remember when I told you several months ago that the deal is likely to founder over piracy issues and you said I was wrong?

The Premier League and their lawyers are still waiting for answers to a plethora of questions they have asked.
    Questions they already have the answers to. The whole thing stinks and you don’t care because you’re a Liverpool fan and couldn’t give two sh*ts what happens to Newcastle.

Regardless you’re flip-flopping all over the place. One minute you say “oh but the deal has been pulled so that’s it” and then the next its “well they are waiting for answers”.

It's likely the answers received got a fully up in the form of "Are you sure that is what you are saying as it doesn't match your actions"
    Allegedly the Premier League is saying that PIF is not independent as MBS is chairman, and therefore want the Saudi State or MBS listed as an actual director.

This is hypocrisy, because we all know who really controls Manchester City and yet Sheikh Mansour is not listed as a director and thus not subject to the O&D test.

The whole thing stinks, and your opinion on Saudi Arabia should have no relevance on whether the test passes or not.

The test is designed to protect the club being bought, not to protect the Premier League.
    You are aware that I'm a Toon supporter and have probably been to more matches than you have..

Apparently Liverpool and Spurs have been lobbying the Premier League behind the scenes to reject the deal. Can’t you see that this whole palaver is simply a play to protect the top 6?

The Saudi state has been pouring money into Manchester United for the past 5 year through Saudi Telecom et al and yet nobody gave a sh*t about that.

The city of Newcastle could potentially miss out on millions of pounds of much needed investment if the deal is killed by jealous other clubs. They should keep their nebs out.
    As TSE continually states TV rights override everything else.

Utd Supporters can scream as much as they want (and frankly it's annoying) but as Saudi are undermining the TV rights the clubs (even Newcastle) live on why should they be able to own a club?
  • Options

You know this stinks. Stop hiding behind the smokescreen. There is nothing fair about this whole process.

I note you continue to treat PIF and the Saudi state as one and the same, and yet say nothing about how the Premier League is happy that the “real owner” of Manchester City escapes the same scrutiny

I've repeated my answer to that several times.

When Sheikh Mansour and/or the Abu Dhabi government are confirmed to be pirating the PL's rights by the WTO then you might have a point.

Until that happens, you don't.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,648
    A proposed mechanism for the Covid lung symptoms in severe cases (from a huge amount of supercomputer data crunching).
    Would be interesting to hear what @Foxy thinks.

A mechanistic model and therapeutic interventions for COVID-19 involving a RAS-mediated bradykinin storm
    https://elifesciences.org/articles/59177
    ...Here, we present a novel molecular mechanism for COVID-19 that provides therapeutic intervention points that can be addressed with existing FDA-approved pharmaceuticals. The entry point for the virus is ACE2, which is a component of the counteracting hypotensive axis of RAS. Bradykinin is a potent part of the vasopressor system that induces hypotension and vasodilation and is degraded by ACE and enhanced by the angiotensin1-9 produced by ACE2. Here, we perform a new analysis on gene expression data from cells in bronchoalveolar lavage fluid (BALF) from COVID-19 patients that were used to sequence the virus. Comparison with BALF from controls identifies a critical imbalance in RAS represented by decreased expression of ACE in combination with increases in ACE2, renin, angiotensin, key RAS receptors, kinogen and many kallikrein enzymes that activate it, and both bradykinin receptors. This very atypical pattern of the RAS is predicted to elevate bradykinin levels in multiple tissues and systems that will likely cause increases in vascular dilation, vascular permeability and hypotension. These bradykinin-driven outcomes explain many of the symptoms being observed in COVID-19...

• Options
    eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Utd Supporters can scream as much as they want (and frankly it's annoying) but as Saudi are undermining the TV rights the clubs (even Newcastle) live on why should they be able to own a club?
    Then the Premier League should reject the deal, so it can be appealed. They are stalling so it can’t be appealed.

It stinks. There is nothing fair about the process. The Premier League is a disgrace.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,311

DavidL said:

Archer?

That wasn't Buttler's worst innings to be fair and he did pretty well in the last test. This is a really class bowling attack, great variety and real skills. England as a whole were nowhere near good enough. They are going to have to step up considerably to come back in this series, Pakistan are good.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Then the Premier League should reject the deal, so it can be appealed. They are stalling so it can’t be appealed.

It stinks. There is nothing fair about the process. The Premier League is a disgrace.
    Why should they reject the appeal - the ideal solution with many awkward people is often to ignore them until they give up and go away.
  • Options

Because Liverpool and Spurs aren't owned by sugar daddies.

They need to ensure the tv money isn't damaged during this pandemic, especially as Spurs have a billion quid stadium to pay for.

If someone who has been engaged in piracy over the TV rights then you don't invite them to join the PL as a shareholder as is what would have happened.

The Saudis would then have privileged information.

If they can do it BeIN, then they can do it to other rights holders.
  • Options

I've repeated my answer to that several times.

When Sheikh Mansour and/or the Abu Dhabi government are confirmed to be pirating the PL's rights by the WTO then you might have a point.

Until that happens, you don't.
    It’s not about piracy. It’s about control.

PIF has not been accused of pirating the PL’s rights. The Saudi state has.

The Premier League is only judging PIF because it’s PIF who’s buying Newcastle United.

Therefore the piracy should have no relevance.

Oh - but the Saudi state ultimately controls PIF does it? Well if it does, then Sheik Mansour also ultimately controls Man City and should also face the O&D test.

Whether or not Sheik Mansour has been involved in piracy is not relevant. If he ultimately controls the club, then he should face the O&D test. If the Premier League doesn’t consider his ultimate control relevant then the Saudi control of PIF should not be relevant.

Hypocrisy.
  • Options

Because Liverpool and Spurs aren't owned by sugar daddies.

They need to ensure the tv money isn't damaged during this pandemic, especially as Spurs have a billion quid stadium to pay for.

If someone who has been engaged in piracy over the TV rights then you don't invite them to join the PL as a shareholder as is what would have happened.

The Saudis would then have privileged information.

If they can do it BeIN, then they can do it to other rights holders.
    Utter nonsense.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Why should they reject the appeal - the ideal solution with many awkward people is often to ignore them until they give up and go away.
    Because until they do Newcastle United is in limbo. No transfers. No investment. No future.

Why on earth are you on the Premier League’s side on this? What is wrong with you?
  • Options
    Bugger me sideways.

He caught one.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204
    Get in! The fightback starts now...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Just looked up Spurs' ultimate owner... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Lewis_(British_businessman)
  • Options

Get in! The fightback starts now...

Surely the point is a Pakistan batsman has got out?
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Because until they do Newcastle United is in limbo. No transfers. No investment. No future.

Why on earth are you on the Premier League’s side on this? What is wrong with you?
    Are you in limbo? I thought there were talks ongoing with an alternative American investor, similar style to FSG and much more appropriate.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Are you in limbo? I thought there were talks ongoing with an alternative American investor, similar style to FSG and much more appropriate.
    No that’s all nonsense. All reports are that Ashley still wants to sell to the PIF-Staveley-ReubenBrothers consortium and there’s no other serious buyer in the picture.

We will go down if this is not sorted quick. The club is in dire straits.

You have to remember that Newcastle United has been for sale for years.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

No different from the last 10 years then - and yes it's annoying but I cannot see any reason why a poacher should be invited to the top table. Especially when said poacher is going to cost each club significant money come the next time tv rights are sold.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

No different from the last 10 years then - and yes it's annoying but I cannot see any reason why a poacher should be invited to the top table. Especially when said poacher is going to cost each club significant money come the next time tv rights are sold.
    What on earth are you talking about? There’s no evidence that clubs are going to lose money when the Middle East TV rights are next sold, especially considering the Saudis promised to bid for them with BeIn. If anything, they would have increased.

You have to remember that BeIn is a company from Qatar and this whole thing is part of a larger geopolitical conflict.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

No that’s all nonsense. All reports are that Ashley still wants to sell to the PIF-Staveley-ReubenBrothers consortium and there’s no other serious buyer in the picture.

Ashley may want to sell to PIF but surely we can all agree that what Ashley wants is not the only thing that matters?

If there is another serious buyer then they should be looked into and hopefully Newcastle can be sold to them and get the investment they need.
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

Ashley may want to sell to PIF but surely we can all agree that what Ashley wants is not the only thing that matters?

If there is another serious buyer then they should be looked into and hopefully Newcastle can be sold to them and get the investment they need.
    There isn’t other serious buyers. You don’t get it. You believe 1 or 2 reports you see about this random American bloke (who’s been accused of fraud multiple times) who’s never been interested in buying Newcastle for years, and then just happens to pop up now?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Pulpstar said:
    Wiki: "Lewis was heavily criticized for Tottenham’s decision to furlough 550 non-playing staff members during the coronavirus pandemic."
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The only reason the Premier League wont reject the deal is because they know they’d lose on appeal.

That tells you everything you need to know about what is going on here.

This is nothing other than a play to protect the top 6 cartel. Every other club in the Football pyramid should be horrified with what is going on, apart from maybe Sunderland.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Someone at some point will get caught for abusing it - but this is a positive development for football league clubs.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/august/squad-salary-caps-introduced-in-league-one-and-league-two/

Pompey and Sunderland will be raging tho !
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Someone at some point will get caught for abusing it - but this is a positive development for football league clubs.

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/august/squad-salary-caps-introduced-in-league-one-and-league-two/

Pompey and Sunderland will be raging tho !

Gordon Taylor was moaning yesterday that it was illegal.
  • Options

The only reason the Premier League wont reject the deal is because they know they’d lose on appeal.

This is nothing other than a play to protect the top 6 cartel. Every other club in the Football pyramid should be horrified with what is going on, apart from maybe Sunderland.

I remember when the PL was a top 4 cartel, it's an odd cartel that allows membership to have increased.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

I remember when the PL was a top 4 cartel, it's an odd cartel that allows membership to have increased.
    You’re not an impartial party in this. You have everything to lose from the Premier League becoming more competitive.

The fact remains that the Premier League are filibustering. They know they’d lose on appeal. That is not fair, and it is not right.

It’s an utter disgrace.
  • Options
    humbuggerhumbugger Posts: 377
    Good afternoon all.

Those considering top keepers might care to consider Jimmy Binks. If his batting had been just a wee bit better he may well have played many times for England.

Ed Conway's column in the Times today is interesting. Amongst other things he seemed to be saying that the real Covid death toll in the UK is about half the official figure. It's well worth a read.
  • Options

You’re not an impartial party in this. You have everything to lose from the Premier League becoming more competitive.

The fact remains that the Premier League are filibustering. They know they’d lose on appeal. That is not fair, and it is not right.

It’s an utter disgrace.
    As I often had to remind my children - Life's unfair, deal with it.
  • Options

Nope, we have everything to lose if piracy damages the value of TV rights.

BeIN paid close to half a billion quid for the rights, I don't think the PL will get that next time.
  • Options
    eek said:

It’s an utter disgrace.
    I know life is not fair - but we should strive for our sporting institutions to be as fair as possible.

This is not it.
  • Options

BeIN paid close to half a billion quid for the rights, I don't think the PL will get that next time.
    Give it a rest. Newcastle fans know what’s really going on here.
  • Options
    Oh Ben Stokes.

No runs, didn't bowl, and now he's dropped a sitter.

What does Ben Stokes bring to this England team?
  • Options

Oh Ben Stokes.

Jos Buttler has a great influence on his team mates.

He's clearly spreading butterfingeritis.
  • Options

Yes, piracy.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Oh Ben Stokes.

It was Joe Root's catch, but the show pony wanted all the glory.
  • Options

Yes, piracy.
    Nope. Hypocrisy.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,694
    humbugger said:

Good afternoon all.

Those considering top keepers might care to consider Jimmy Binks. If his batting had been just a wee bit better he may well have played many times for England.

Ed Conway's column in the Times today is interesting. Amongst other things he seemed to be saying that the real Covid death toll in the UK is about half the official figure. It's well worth a read.

Since the official figures are including anyone who died from any cause provided they had Covid-19 at an earlier date, this isn't surprising.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

Good afternoon all.

Sorry - just went and read that. He does not say the real Covid Death toll is half the official figure. He says that the current rate (i.e how many die each day) is about half what it being reported. This is something that has been discussed ad infinitum here. PHE deaths in all settings are very misleading, the hospital deaths in England are less than 20 a day.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,772

Oh Ben Stokes.

Well what do you expect from a Kiwi? :smirk:
  • Options

Oh Ben Stokes.

Rated best all rounder in the world by 43 points

https://www.icc-cricket.com/rankings/mens/player-rankings/test/all-rounder
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Oh Ben Stokes.

It was Joe Root's catch, but the show pony wanted all the glory.
    Really? I didn't know James Vince was even playing!
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

humbugger said:

Good afternoon all.

Since the official figures are including anyone who died from any cause provided they had Covid-19 at an earlier date, this isn't surprising.
    See my post - this is not what Conway wrote.
  • Options

humbugger said:

Good afternoon all.

Sorry - just went and read that. He does not say the real Covid Death toll is half the official figure. He says that the current rate (i.e how many die each day) is about half what it being reported. This is something that has been discussed ad infinitum here. PHE deaths in all settings are very misleading, the hospital deaths in England are less than 20 a day.
    Humbugger is clearly a Russian troll with reading comprehension like that.
  • Options

Yes, piracy.
    Nope. Hypocrisy.
    Nope, it's piracy resolve that and the fact the new owner is a murderer will be ignored.
  • Options
    If the Premier League were confident their rules allowed them to reject the deal over the alleged piracy, they’d reject it and face the appeal.

The fact they aren’t means they are not confident their rules allow them to block the takeover, and are trying to manipulate the process.

Says it all. Changing the rules when it effects Newcastle United but happy for them to stand when it effects others.
  • Options

humbugger said:

Good afternoon all.

At least we can say he's not SeanT. He can definitely comprehend and write. Or is it she? Or they?
  • Options
    eek said:

Yes, piracy.
    Nope. Hypocrisy.
    Nope, it's piracy resolve that and the fact the new owner is a murderer will be ignored.
    I’ve already explained why it’s hypocrisy and all you apologists can muster is “murr piracy”.
  • Options

eek said:

It’s an utter disgrace.
    I know life is not fair - but we should strive for our sporting institutions to be as fair as possible.

This is not it.
    There's nothing unfair about not letting pirates own what they're stealing. Let alone all the other issues with the Saudis.

If you want sporting fairness seek progress on the pitch not from bringing in thieves.
  • Options

eek said:

It’s an utter disgrace.

This is not it.
    There's nothing unfair about not letting pirates own what they're stealing. Let alone all the other issues with the Saudis.

If you want sporting fairness seek progress on the pitch not from bringing in thieves.
    If you want sporting fairness, stop manipulating the rules to protect your top 6 cartel.
  • Options

eek said:

It’s an utter disgrace.

This is not it.

If you want sporting fairness, stop manipulating the rules to protect your top 6 cartel.
    Nothing is being manipulated besides your emotions into supporting the indefensible.
  • Options
    What you all fail to realise is that BeOUTQ was traced to ArabSAT in which the United Arab Emirates is a shareholder.

If the Saudis are pirates, so are Manchester City.

Hypocrisy.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

eek said:

It’s an utter disgrace.

This is not it.

Nothing is being manipulated besides your emotions into supporting the indefensible.
    You’re supporting blatant hypocrisy, not me.
  • Options

humbugger said:

Good afternoon all.

It is unlikely that a Russian troll would admire the great Jimmy Binks.
  • Options

eek said:

Yes, piracy.
    Nope. Hypocrisy.
    I’ve already explained why it’s hypocrisy and all you apologists can muster is “murr piracy”.
    How is it hypocrisy if piracy is the problem? There's billions in TV rights on the line that belong to all clubs including yours and all the others. If it's hypocrisy which other pirates have been allowed in?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
  • Options

eek said:

It’s an utter disgrace.

This is not it.

No I'm not. I opposed the sale of Man City and Chelsea so no hypocrisy but this one is even worse.
  • Options

eek said:

Yes, piracy.
    Nope. Hypocrisy.
    How is it hypocrisy if piracy is the problem? There's billions in TV rights on the line that belong to all clubs including yours and all the others. If it's hypocrisy which other pirates have been allowed in?
    I’ve already explained.

PIF are buying Newcastle United. PIF are not accused of piracy - the Saudi state are.

The PL says that the Saudi state really control PIF and therefore they themselves should face the O&D test - and would fail because of piracy.

If that’s the case then in Manchester City’s case, the UAE state should also face the O&D test. They don’t, which means the PL don’t normally care if there’s a greater “higher owner”.

They are applying a greater test to Newcastle than they do to other members because they simply don’t want to the deal to go through.

That is not right.
  • Options

eek said:

It’s an utter disgrace.

This is not it.

No I'm not. I opposed the sale of Man City and Chelsea so no hypocrisy but this one is even worse.
    You don’t get it. The O&D test is supposed to be applied yearly, to existing clubs. When Manchester City and Chelsea were sold is irrelevant.
  • Options

eek said:

Yes, piracy.
    Nope. Hypocrisy.
    I’ve already explained.

PIF are buying Newcastle United. PIF are not accused of piracy - the Saudi state are.

The PL says that the Saudi state really control PIF and therefore they themselves should face the O&D test - and would fail because of piracy.

If that’s the case then in Manchester City’s case, the UAE state should also face the O&D test. They don’t, which means the PL don’t normally care if there’s a greater “higher owner”.

They are applying a greater test to Newcastle than they do to other members because they simply don’t want to the deal to go through.

That is not right.
    It's only hypocrisy if there's a reason UAE should fail the test. Now IMHO they should, though they are nowhere near as evil as the Saudis, but if piracy is the issue then they shouldn't.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    As everyone is rightly concerned about the ownership of Premier League teams, I think it's important to look over the Atlantic to a football club owned (at least partly) by Will Ferrell.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you with LAFC. And which also completely inverts the typical "buy ageing European stars" ethos of the MLS by being absolutely full of really young South Americans.

Plus, the atmosphere at games (when games actually happen) is simply awesome.

https://youtu.be/wKAyfwcHHw0
  • Options

eek said:

Yes, piracy.
    Nope. Hypocrisy.
    You haven't explained why its hypocrisy -because frankly I don't see any...
  • Options

eek said:

Yes, piracy.
    Nope. Hypocrisy.
    I’ve already explained.

That is not right.
    It's only hypocrisy if there's a reason UAE should fail the test. Now IMHO they should, though they are nowhere near as evil as the Saudis, but if piracy is the issue then they shouldn't.
    That’s not how rules-based organisations work. They don’t change the test to FIND a reason to stop something.

The Premier League KNOWS this. The reason why they won’t reject the bid is because they KNOW they’d lose on appeal. They are filibustering for a reason. It’s a disgrace.
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

Yes, piracy.
    Nope. Hypocrisy.
    Read my posts and you’ll find out. The Premier League is applying a higher test to PIF than they do to other owners.
  • Options

humbugger said:

Good afternoon all.

Just had another look at Conway's article. It is not at all clear that he's saying that.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

I see that Boris Johnson (along with 28 other MPs) has backed the 100k signatures Newcastle United petition calling for an investigation into why the Premier League O&D test has taken 17 weeks and counting.

Well it really shouldn't have. Once Saudi started approving copyright infringement the answer should have been a straight NO.
    It was the Saudi response to the WTO ruling, they pretty much screenshotted the WTO logo and put out press releases saying the exact of the WTO report.

I've been banging on for months on here saying the PL cannot afford to piss off their rights holders at the best of times, and certainly not during a pandemic.
    Well then they should reject it so it can be appealed.

The deal is still on the table.
    But not to the PL's satisfaction, they are still awaiting the group's responses to their questions about ultimate control and corporate governance.
    Delaying tactics. The Premier League is a disgrace and me and all other Newcastle fans have nothing but contempt for them.
    Could be worse, my partner's dad is a Sunderland fan.
    Wycombe are now in a higher division than Sunderland.

Wycombe.
  • Options

eek said:

It’s an utter disgrace.

This is not it.

You don’t get it. The O&D test is supposed to be applied yearly, to existing clubs. When Manchester City and Chelsea were sold is irrelevant.
    I get that but you said I'm supporting hypocrisy, I'm not since I don't think UAE are fit and proper owners either. Abromovich (sp?) Seems to have totally disassociated himself from Russia so begrudgingly perhaps that's fair enough. But either way UAE are not as bad as the Saudis, either on a human rights or on a piracy level.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,633
    ONS: "During the most recent week (27 July to 2 August 2020), we estimate there were around 0.68 (95% credible interval: 0.38 to 1.17) new COVID-19 infections for every 10,000 people in the community population in England, equating to around 3,700 new cases per day."

However, if you look at the day-by-day numbers they are going up every day. Most recent figure is 0.79 per 10,000 (=4,300 cases per day).
  • Options

eek said:

It’s an utter disgrace.

This is not it.

I get that but you said I'm supporting hypocrisy, I'm not since I don't think UAE are fit and proper owners either. Abromovich (sp?) Seems to have totally disassociated himself from Russia so begrudgingly perhaps that's fair enough. But either way UAE are not as bad as the Saudis, either on a human rights or on a piracy level.
    But what you think is irrelevant. The test is the test. The fact the Premier League won’t reject it because they are not confident they wouldn’t lose on appeal says it all.

Your personal opinions should have no relevance. This is a rules-based organisation at the peak of English football, not a free-for-all on the whim of “feelings” and “opinions”.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,633

humbugger said:

Good afternoon all.

At least we can say he's not SeanT. He can definitely comprehend and write. Or is it she? Or they?
    Now there's a PBer who knows all about Thighland!
  • Options

eek said:

eek said:

Yes, piracy.
    Nope. Hypocrisy.
    Read my posts and you’ll find out. The Premier League is applying a higher test to PIF than they do to other owners.
    No you haven't. You seem to be claiming that the owner would be PIF and the PL should not look at who owns PIF. That's a nonsense.

Ownership tests almost inevitably apply up the levels if something is owned by someone else. Otherwise the test would be absolutely meaningless.

Hypothetically if Richard Branson owned a company called Virgin Holdings, which wholly owned a subsidiary called Virgin Sport which wholly owned a subsidiary called Virgin Football which wanted to purchase a club are you claiming Branson should not face the ownership test? That only Virgin Football as the holding company should? That's silly.
  • Options

eek said:

It’s an utter disgrace.

This is not it.

But what you think is irrelevant. The test is the test. The fact the Premier League won’t reject it because they are not confident they wouldn’t lose on appeal says it all.

Your personal opinions should have no relevance. This is a rules-based organisation at the peak of English football, not a free-for-all on the whim of “feelings” and “opinions”.
    The PL rules say clubs must act with the utmost good faith towards each other and the PL, there's a compelling argument that being behind piracy doesn't meet that test.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,445
    edited August 2020
    NHS England cases - scaled to 100K population -

• Options
    If the Saudis don't want to buy Newcastle how about them buying Citeh. Then we can boo them for other reasons than the crime of being Citeh.
  • Options
    NHS England cases - absolute -

• Options
    edited August 2020

eek said:

eek said:

Yes, piracy.
    Nope. Hypocrisy.
    No you haven't. You seem to be claiming that the owner would be PIF and the PL should not look at who owns PIF. That's a nonsense.

Ownership tests almost inevitably apply up the levels if something is owned by someone else. Otherwise the test would be absolutely meaningless.

Hypothetically if Richard Branson owned a company called Virgin Holdings, which wholly owned a subsidiary called Virgin Sport which wholly owned a subsidiary called Virgin Football which wanted to purchase a club are you claiming Branson should not face the ownership test? That only Virgin Football as the holding company should? That's silly.
    You say that “ownership tests almost inevitably apply up the levels if something is owned by someone else” but that is not the case!

They do not with Manchester City. But for some reason they do with Newcastle United.

That’s the hypocrisy. That’s the higher test.

You’re saying it’s silly - I’m saying it’s silly too.
  • Options
    NHS England case by region -

• Options
    edited August 2020
    @Philip_Thompson Abu Dhabi United Group owns 78% of Manchester City. Sheik Mansour owns Abu Dhabi United Group.

PIF want to buy 80% of Newcastle United. MBS is Chairman of PIF.

Yet the Premier League does not apply the O&D test to Sheik Mansour but want to apply it to MBS.

Can you not see the problem with that?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    PHE England deaths all settings -

• Options

eek said:

It’s an utter disgrace.

This is not it.

The PL rules say clubs must act with the utmost good faith towards each other and the PL, there's a compelling argument that being behind piracy doesn't meet that test.
    Only if you apply the O&D test to the Saudi state and not PIF.
    I’ve just explained above how that’s a higher standard than what is applied to Manchester City, who’s actual owner is not subject to the O&D test.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    humbugger said:

humbugger said:

Good afternoon all.

Just had another look at Conway's article. It is not at all clear that he's saying that.
    By actual date of death -

The PHE all settings number (the one that the arguments are about) is below 40 per day (probably)

The England hospital figure is below 10 for the 7 day average

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

How many bus-related fatalities?
  • Options

I’ve just explained above how that’s a higher standard than what is applied to Manchester City, who’s actual owner is not subject to the O&D test.

You're turning into HYUFD with your pigheaded inability to look at the facts and spin your own alternative facts.

If the Saudi government wasn't behind the piracy of BeIN then the takeover gets approved, as I always said.

The higher standard you talk about is in fact the result of investigations to understand the link between the Saudi government and the Newcastle ownership group.

If it turns out that the Sheikh Mansour related parties and government are behind the piracy of the PL's product then I suspect the same approach would be taken with him.

The PL have to protect their product and the value of it.
  • Options

You're turning into HYUFD with your pigheaded inability to look at the facts and spin your own alternative facts.

If the Saudi government wasn't behind the piracy of BeIN then the takeover gets approved, as I always said.

The higher standard you talk about is in fact the result of investigations to understand the link between the Saudi government and the Newcastle ownership group.

If it turns out that the Sheikh Mansour related parties and government are behind the piracy of the PL's product then I suspect the same approach would be taken with him.

What on earth are you talking about? You’re doing the same as HYUFD, not me.

The Saudi government is not buying Newcastle United.
  • Options
    Good to see the new Tory North East MPs can see the wood for the trees.

https://twitter.com/cousinmortimer/status/1291755050193354752?s=21
  • Options
    RobD said:

How many bus-related fatalities?
    30-50% of the PHE figure is people being murdered by a deranged lawyer wearing his wife's kimono, with a baseball bat.
  • Options

PIF is the sovereign wealth fund of Saudi Arabia, by definition it has links to the Saudi government.

That's why I said links and related parties.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

PIF is the sovereign wealth fund of Saudi Arabia, by definition it has links to the Saudi government.

Why is the Premier League investigating who controls PIF, when I doubt they’ve done any such investigation into who controls Abu Dhabi United Group?

Regardless, if PIF are not suitable owners, the Premier League should reject them so we can move on.
  • Options
    Paging @ydoethur and other PB teachers.

Nearly 40% of A-level result predictions to be downgraded in England

Exclusive: Assessments likely to be adjusted down before students receive results – analysis

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/aug/07/a-level-result-predictions-to-be-downgraded-england
  • Options

Why is the Premier League investigating who controls PIF, when I doubt they’ve done any such investigation into who controls Abu Dhabi United Group?

Regardless, if PIF are not suitable owners, the Premier League should reject them so we can move on.
    Because of the piracy issue.
This discussion has been closed.