Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Only days away now from the Biden VP choice and it’ll be a hug

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Only days away now from the Biden VP choice and it’ll be a huge surprise if it is not Kamala Harris or Susan Rice

The Democratic convention is due to start, in a virtual form because of the pandemic, on August 17th and the big development in the run up to the opening will be Joe Biden’s choice of running mate.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Susan Rice may have been promised Secretary of State.
  • Oh, and first.
  • Very pleased I have been able to sign in on the main site for the first time in a while
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,767
    I will not say I will eat my trousers if Kamala Harris isn’t the choice, because they’re not very tasty and somewhat indigestible.

However, I will be very surprised indeed.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,555
    edited August 2020
    So much speculation on this. That's why I think betting on this market is sub-optimal. It's not like a general election where there are opinion polls of the electorate, etc. Here, all you're doing s trying to see into one man's mind.

We know he is sexist, because he is excluding all men, and he may be racist too, excluding whites from consideration, or at least heavily disadvantaging them, though he hasn't explicitly banned them afaik. But other than that, it's impossible to guess how he'd choose between Rice and Harris or someone else. It's not like he's ever made a VP pick before so there's no track record to go on.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 10,462

Very pleased I have been able to sign in on the main site for the first time in a while

Ditto re my mobile. Thanks for sorting it out Robert.
  • Whomever is picked becomes the hot favourite for the presidency in 2024. Biden - if he's serious about his statements about being a 1 term baton-passer - may have the DNC making 'suggestions' as to the preferred person
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,676

Whomever is picked becomes the hot favourite for the presidency in 2024. Biden - if he's serious about his statements about being a 1 term baton-passer - may have the DNC making 'suggestions' as to the preferred person

What chance he would even last one term, he has trouble remembering who he is at present. VP pick is almost certain to end up in the hot seat.
    edited August 2020
    malcolmg said:

Whomever is picked becomes the hot favourite for the presidency in 2024. Biden - if he's serious about his statements about being a 1 term baton-passer - may have the DNC making 'suggestions' as to the preferred person

What chance he would even last one term, he has trouble remembering who he is at present. VP pick is almost certain to end up in the hot seat.
    If he wins.

I think he will. Certainly I hope he will. But we’ve all underestimated Trump before, and Biden is scarcely the strongest candidate the Dems have ever put forward.
  • ydoethur said:

I will not say I will eat my trousers if Kamala Harris isn’t the choice, because they’re not very tasty and somewhat indigestible.

If it is Kamala Harris then I shall have to relearn how to pronounce her name, with emphasis on the first rather than second syllable.
    https://twitter.com/i/status/735197253153914881
  • Alasdair_ said:

Susan Rice may have been promised Secretary of State.

Or Chief of Staff since Biden and Rice have such an easy working relationship, or anything at all. And how binding is a Granita Pact anyway?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739

If it is Kamala Harris then I shall have to relearn how to pronounce her name, with emphasis on the first rather than second syllable.

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1291459601788010496
  • Scott_xP said:
    It is not surprising but the survey confirms only a 7% loss of trust according to Sky
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Will Trump stick with Pence?
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,136
    It may not be great to go on these markets because your counter-party may be an insider with better information than you. However I wonder if the value isn't with "neither of the above". There seems to have been a report that it was down to these two from somebody who claimed to be familiar with Biden's thinking, but generally the closer someone is to knowing the less likely they are to leak, and even if it's well-sourced it could easily be disinformation.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047
    Jonathan said:

Who would take Trump's shilling?

Jonathan said:

Tulsi Gabbard
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

If he wins.

I think he will. Certainly I hope he will. But we’ve all underestimated Trump before, and Biden is scarcely the strongest candidate the Dems have ever put forward.
    Just needs Biden to have one senior moment in the debates - and it all starts unravelling for the Dems.... And God forbid, four more years of Trump.

America. Plutocracy delivering either gerontocracy or kleptocracy.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,883
    Scott_xP said:

He's not even trying with the facepaint any more. He looks like he just dipped his face into a bowl of Brown Windsor soup.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

ydoethur said:

KamAHla?

CAmela?

KAHmala?

Khameleon!

:smile:

Just needs Biden to have one senior moment in the debates - and it all starts unravelling for the Dems.... And God forbid, four more years of Trump.

I wonder if it would, though. Opinion about Trump is pretty polarized and Trump himself isn't exactly a model of sober managerial competence. It's not like 2016 where there were a lot of undecided voters many of whom thought Trump would do an OK job because he was good at business.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,961
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

He's not even trying with the facepaint any more. He looks like he just dipped his face into a bowl of Brown Windsor soup.
    He looks like a former colleague on a lads night out, who passed out pissed, face-down into his balti....
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,093

Scott_xP said:
    It is not surprising but the survey confirms only a 7% loss of trust according to Sky
    LOL @ "only"
    Dura_Ace said:

https://twitter.com/daveRob0/status/1288743079097360384
  • Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Au contraire, his face in that video does not show Trump's normal white circles around the eyes. Something has changed.

And yes, Trump says Thighland but a few moments later pronounces Thailand correctly. Opponents used to make a great deal of GW Bush's slips and solecisms as evidence of mental decline and no good it did them.
  • IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    LOL @ "only"
    I would expect it to have been much more to be honest
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 23,934
    edited August 2020

Jonathan said:

Tulsi Gabbard
    Nikki Haley.

ETA: hold on. I've missed a joke! Gabbard is a Democrat.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited August 2020
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    LOL @ "only"
    It's ridiculously tiny for the so-called 'Biggest Scandal Of The Century', not to mention the ten thousand retweets that accompanied it! :lol:
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    Harris seems the safe choice as an experienced candidate, with Rice as a senior official - Chief of Staff or Secretary of State. I think the search for value can lead one astray in political betting - sometimes the obvious answer is the right one.

Incidentally, I think of Rice as quite hawkish - in Secretary of State we might see her confronting Russia or China or both quite aggressively, which may or may not be a good thing.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,336
    Finally managed to sign on for comments. Not sure what happened, there were a lot of threads I wanted to comment.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,081

I wonder if it would, though. Opinion about Trump is pretty polarized and Trump himself isn't exactly a model of sober managerial competence. It's not like 2016 where there were a lot of undecided voters many of whom thought Trump would do an OK job because he was good at business.
    Yes, I am not convinced the debates will do Grandpa Joe any harm. Trump is at least as likely to say something stupid.

Debates rarely make much difference, and are played very defensively. Biden survived the Primary debates well enough.
    Foxy said:

Yes, I am not convinced the debates will do Grandpa Joe any harm. Trump is at least as likely to say something stupid.

Debates rarely make much difference, and are played very defensively. Biden survived the Primary debates well enough.

Biden survived the Democrat debates. Trump can't read his own speech.
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

Biden survived the Democrat debates. Trump can't read his own speech.
    Yes, but being an obnoxious moron is priced in for Trump, and a plus for his large deplorable vote.

I think being a bit vague and full of folksy waffle for Grandpa Joe too.
    Foxy said:

Yes, Trump was a total mess against Hillary (albeit he hit his talking points a lot without regard to the actual debate) and presidents are normally pretty poor on their first debate after being surrounded by yes-men for four years.

It seems like quite a mad strategy to build up the idea that Biden can't speak in coherent sentences ahead of a debate where Biden's going to speak in coherent sentences and Trump isn't, but with Trump you can never quite tell how much of it's a confused old man lashing out at random and how much is cunningly astute low politics.
  • theakestheakes Posts: 839
    Trunp will sadly be re-elected. Biden is piling up huge votes in the safe Democrat areas California 67- 29, New York, Washington. North East etc, that gives him a large national lead but it is close in the marginal areas that would get Trump home again. I suspect Biden could win the national vote by 4-7% and still lose on the State by State count, it is a bizarre system for a country that prides itself on being the "greatest Democracy in the world"
  • ‪Fun fact - five of the last seven published opinion polls have actually shown small moves to Labour.‬
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    Morning,

Just testing I'm back in. Presumably we have had some kind of tech issue overnight?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,753
    Get ye a fanboi like Dinesh if you want your every moronic blooper defended to the hilt.

https://twitter.com/DineshDSouza/status/1291564123545907200?s=20
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    In quite a lot more serious news, Trump has put a ban order on Tencent as well as WeChat and TikTok. The latter two I sort of understand but Tencent is a wildcard, this definitely feels like a prelude to America declaring no more Chinese money or investment in the US.
    theakes said:

Trunp will sadly be re-elected. Biden is piling up huge votes in the safe Democrat areas California 67- 29, New York, Washington. North East etc, that gives him a large national lead but it is close in the marginal areas that would get Trump home again. I suspect Biden could win the national vote by 4-7% and still lose on the State by State count, it is a bizarre system for a country that prides itself on being the "greatest Democracy in the world"

It's really *not* close in the marginal states, the tipping point on the current polling is PA which is currently at Biden +6. That's not the kind of lead that's impossible to overturn, but it's not close.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Get ye a fanboi like Dinesh if you want your every moronic blooper defended to the hilt.

Well he was pardoned by Trump IIRC, I'd be grateful.
  • MaxPB said:

In quite a lot more serious news, Trump has put a ban order on Tencent as well as WeChat and TikTok. The latter two I sort of understand but Tencent is a wildcard, this definitely feels like a prelude to America declaring no more Chinese money or investment in the US.

And demanding others do the same. Mike Pompeo outlined it in a speech earlier this week.

• SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,404
    Looks like the two candidates employ the same fashion consultant.

One string of pearls versus two is a big differentiator.
  • US Dem VP slot

Betfair concurs with OGH this is a two-runner race (or a surprise!).

Kamala Harris: 1.95
    Susan Rice: 3.65
    Val Demings: 21
    Tammy Duckworth: 24
    Elizabeth Warren: 27
    Gretchen Whitmer: 29
    Michelle Obama: 30
    Michelle Lujan Grisham: 46
    Karen Bass: 55
    Keisha Lance Bottoms: 70
    Stacey Abrams: 85
    Hillary Clinton: 140

MaxPB said:

And demanding others do the same. Mike Pompeo outlined it in a speech earlier this week.

I think it's a recognition that China has been waging a cold war on the west so it's time for the west to actually fight it rather than lay down and let China roll its tanks into western economies.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    Alasdair_ said:

Susan Rice may have been promised Secretary of State.

That would make a a lot of sense.

Given that she has no experience of elective politics, and that the VP pick is so likely to become a Presidential candidate....
  • Get ye a fanboi like Dinesh if you want your every moronic blooper defended to the hilt.

I wonder how he thinks Thames is pronounced?

MaxPB said:

Does Trump know how many greenbacks the Chinese have in their vaults?
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I think it's a recognition that China has been waging a cold war on the west so it's time for the west to actually fight it rather than lay down and let China roll its tanks into western economies.
    Trump can’t lead the West and has no interest in doing so, in any case. This is all about his re-election campaign.

• Morning,

Just testing I'm back in. Presumably we have had some kind of tech issue overnight?

Almost the opposite: @rcs1000 fixed the login issues that afflicted some PBers, which logged everyone out as a side-effect.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625

"Bring me the blandest {style} on the menu!"

MaxPB said:

Does Trump know how many greenbacks the Chinese have in their vaults?
    What of it? If they flood the market the Fed declares an emergency and buys it all up. Owning another nation's debt is not any real tactical advantage in the era of central bank activism.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited August 2020

Morning,

Almost the opposite: @rcs1000 fixed the login issues that afflicted some PBers, which logged everyone out as a side-effect.
    I could bore people but yep, fixing the issue requires everyone to log back in.

For those that care, your login is really just a cookie in your browser and the cookie has to be recreated as the connection between this site and vanilla now has different settings.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    kle4 said:

I've heard both uses frequently. It's a mistake to jump on Trump for every minor slip, because it devalues the important criticisms. "He causes thousands of deaths by incompetence and actual bad advice, and, what's more, he possibly mispronounces Thailand".
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

We will know in a few days. I am mildly red on Harris and very very green on Rice, so I know who my trousers are rooting for.

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Trump can’t lead the West and has no interest in doing so, in any case. This is all about his re-election campaign.

For Trump, yes, but it's also about China hawks in the US laying the groundwork for it a d doing things it would be difficult for Biden to overturn without looking soft on China in the run up to 2024. The Trump team are defining Biden's China policy with these moves as well.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    F1: Perez positive still for COVID-19. Hulkenberg may have another race after all.
    MaxPB said:

Well that might annoy the gamer vote:

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1291557056256901126?s=09

Morning,

Thanks.

Wonderfully withering response.
    https://twitter.com/losttourist/status/1291642037113102336

I would have stopped after the first five words.

Thinking by use of the arse must be a biological miracle. I wonder if he would be of interest to your fellow scientists?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,588

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    LOL @ "only"
    It's ridiculously tiny for the so-called 'Biggest Scandal Of The Century', not to mention the ten thousand retweets that accompanied it! :lol:
    The mere fact that it is still rolling three months on, suggests it might have been rather a big deal.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,047

That of course was pronounced the Trump way until George I couldn't pronounce it so everyone else had to follow suit.

theakes said:

It's really *not* close in the marginal states, the tipping point on the current polling is PA which is currently at Biden +6. That's not the kind of lead that's impossible to overturn, but it's not close.
    Indeed it is in California and Maryland amongst polled states that there has been a swing from 2016 towards Trump. Biden's vote appears more efficient in distribution than Clinton's, not less.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Dr. Foxy, lots of gamers are aware of bullshit from China due to the high profile ban of an e-sports pro by Blizzard after he voiced pro-Hong Kong views during an interview.

You're right, but just thought that context was worth adding.
    Foxy said:

MaxPB said:

Well that might annoy the gamer vote:

https://twitter.com/Slasher/status/1291557056256901126?s=09
    Or it will be like bytedance and TikTok where they sell it before it loses value. Tencent owns ~30% of Epic Games, it's valued at around $5.5bn representing a gain of $4.7bn for Tencent, finding a buyer or buyers for it wil be very easy, Sony just invested $250m and have set aside $6bn for investing in purchase of new companies this year, Microsoft would also be ver interested given the overlap with Xbox. I'm sure Apple would love the chance to buy it's way into the gaming industry having failed to establish its presence organically so many times.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

For Trump, yes, but it's also about China hawks in the US laying the groundwork for it a d doing things it would be difficult for Biden to overturn without looking soft on China in the run up to 2024. The Trump team are defining Biden's China policy with these moves as well.
    The Trump hawks are far more sophisticated in your world than they are in mine. I am not sure they can think that far ahead. All the genuinely smart guys have been fired.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The Trump hawks are far more sophisticated in your world than they are in mine. I am not sure they can think that far ahead. All the genuinely smart guys have been fired.
  • Talking of American pronunciations.

Why do Americans pronounce ‘Craig’ like it rhymes with ‘Greg’?

kle4 said:

I've heard both uses frequently. It's a mistake to jump on Trump for every minor slip, because it devalues the important criticisms. "He causes thousands of deaths by incompetence and actual bad advice, and, what's more, he possibly mispronounces Thailand".
    Obviously I'll take your word for it, but I literally have never heard someone pronounce it Thighland.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797

F1: Perez positive still for COVID-19. Hulkenberg may have another race after all.

Oh, that shows that a 7 day quarantine isn't enough. Question now is is 10 days enough?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,584
    ydoethur said:

While I incline more to your view than Mike's (though I feel I should point out I've no idea how your trousers taste), I think the current odds are reasonable; Harris is by no means a certainty.

Very pleased I have been able to sign in on the main site for the first time in a while

I still can't.
    It's mildly irritating not to be able to post to a new thread until someone else does so first, but bearable.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited August 2020

IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:
    LOL @ "only"
    The mere fact that it is still rolling three months on, suggests it might have been rather a big deal.
    It is for some but I expect HMG to see real popularity problems as job loses mount.

With the spike in covid both here and abroad, largely due to social gatherings I expect that attendances at public events including football, pubs and music venues will be outlawed for at least six months and maybe longer

I also expect serious problems over schools re-opening and WFH destroying city centres.

Indeed as I have said, Boris is not the PM we need in this crisis and I am neutral on conservative v labour but it does seem to me a GNU will be needed at sometime in the near future with a new PM and Starmer as deputy
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

I feel I should point out I've no idea how your trousers taste
    I’m glad you issued that clarification...
  • Nigelb said:

I still can't.
    It's mildly irritating not to be able to post to a new thread until someone else does so first, but bearable.
    I have had to sign in again on all my devices and each one has worked

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The China hawks are the main reason why Trump is still in the race. If he hadn't been forced into taking an even more anti China position earlier this year instead of praising Xi and China he'd be done for. The one defining feature of hawkishness is to think about what will happen under the next guy and how to tie their hands to your policy, whether that's by entering a bunch of wars or forcing the next guy to undo popular policies.
  • Looks like the two candidates employ the same fashion consultant.

Ambitious lady politicians should pay heed. Most female leaders around the world have similar styles, with shortish hair (probably a precaution against helicopters and outdoor rallies) and suits, just as men do. Maybe the LibDems should have heeded David Cameron's mum's advice to Jeremy Corbyn, and bought Jo Swinson a jacket so she looked more like a senior politician and less like a primary school teacher.
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

The China hawks are the main reason why Trump is still in the race. If he hadn't been forced into taking an even more anti China position earlier this year instead of praising Xi and China he'd be done for. The one defining feature of hawkishness is to think about what will happen under the next guy and how to tie their hands to your policy, whether that's by entering a bunch of wars or forcing the next guy to undo popular policies.
    I suspect you have thought this through to a significantly deeper intellectual level than Trump and his boys have.
  • MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Trump himself has been railing against China for decades. To the extent Trump has his own foreign policy, it is that Russia is not the enemy, China is.

ydoethur said:

We will know in a few days. I am mildly red on Harris and very very green on Rice, so I know who my trousers are rooting for.
    Thats one way to select a candidate, I guess...

kle4 said:

Obviously I'll take your word for it, but I literally have never heard someone pronounce it Thighland.
    You literally have.
    eek said:

Oh, that shows that a 7 day quarantine isn't enough. Question now is is 10 days enough?
    No, that is not what this shows.
    Quarantine is for individuals who don't know if they are infected, but are at risk of having been infected; Perez, being already diagnosed, was in isolation.

Nigelb said:

I still can't.
    I have had to sign in again on all my devices and each one has worked
    I cleared all my cookies, and rebooted devices; it made no difference. I can sign in on Vanilla but not on the site itself.
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

You literally have.
    Pedantry compels me to say that I didn't hear Trump, I've only read about it.

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

You literally have.
    I apologise for my pitiful attempt to out-pedant you.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

ydoethur said:

KamAHla?

CAmela?

KAHmala?

Khameleon!

Well she shouldn't visit Finland where her name, correctly spelled and pronounced means awful, terrible, dire, atrocious etc

Ambitious lady politicians should pay heed. Most female leaders around the world have similar styles, with shortish hair (probably a precaution against helicopters and outdoor rallies) and suits, just as men do. Maybe the LibDems should have heeded David Cameron's mum's advice to Jeremy Corbyn, and bought Jo Swinson a jacket so she looked more like a senior politician and less like a primary school teacher.
    This small incident from earlier in the campaign illustrates that perfectly:
    https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/430359-kamala-harris-shopping-trip-stirs-twitter-controversy
    geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

KamAHla?

CAmela?

KAHmala?

Khameleon!

Well she shouldn't visit Finland where her name, correctly spelled and pronounced means awful, terrible, dire, atrocious etc

In Veep (the TV series) a whole episode involves the veep visiting Finland.
    Regarding last night's panic...

Donald Trump is losing the culture wars
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/06/trump-is-losing-the-culture-wars-392407
    The Democratic attempt to crush the NRA is unlikely to do much for his reelection. "Every person who cares about the NRA is already voting for Trump," said a GOP pollster.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

You literally have.
    I apologise for my pitiful attempt to out-pedant you.
    It's a fight to the death round here..
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

KamAHla?

CAmela?

KAHmala?

Khameleon!

Ha!

geoffw said:

ydoethur said:

KamAHla?

CAmela?

KAHmala?

Khameleon!

Finland is another word Trump can't say

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/1290787291695218690
    F1 - Tracing Point lose the brake duct case, FIA rule it is illegal and are fined $200k per car and lose 15 championship points, must change to the 2019 design which isn't the stolen Mercedes one. Will mean tyre temps will be all over the place for them. I also expect Renault will go after the undertray as well now given this success.
This discussion has been closed.