Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The latest charts from Ipsos MORI – the UK’s most experienced

1235»

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8599005/Police-advised-automatically-believe-alleged-abuse-victims-guidelines-despite-warnings.html

How utterly depressing.

And as predicted by me.

Lessons will be learnt, my arse!

What a third-rate incompetent little country we have become.

Utterly ridiculous. I have never seem an explaantion for that guidance terminology which is even slightly convincing. The police have been provided with countless examples of words they could use to make very clear allegations will be treated seriously without crossing the line like that, yet they persist in it. They don't accept any criticism.
    I think we know that in the past the authorities have been guilty of dismissing allegations far too easily. But rather than insist that they investigate thoroughly all claims of sexual abuse, the policy has become to put together a case for prosecution even if the evidence isn't there.

If the police announced a change in policy, the Guardian would be running a story saying that the police won't believe rape victims, etc. etc.
    From my header -

“ “Any process that imposes an artificial state of mind upon an investigator is, necessarily, a flawed process. An investigator, in any reputable system of justice, must be impartial. The imposed ‘obligation to believe’ removes that impartiality.”

If the police allow sentimental beliefs, preconceived opinions and assumptions, pressure from the media or politicians to override the judgments they need to make, they are doing a profound disservice – to the victims (who need their complaints taken seriously and investigated properly, a crucially important difference to simply being believed), to the defendants (who are entitled not to be accused publicly – or at all – on the basis of opinion unsupported by any evidence), to the public’s faith in policing, to the administration of justice itself.”
    It's not rocket science, is it? That's why I thinking he’d by it is ideological.
    Too much thinking by those in public life is infected by a sort of ideological sentimentality, an assumption that feelings - and how strong they are - however ridiculous and however outweighed by other factors - should be the only or main determinant of policy.

We are forgetting how to think and reason.
    Investigation as therapy.
    = a bad investigation.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    edited August 2020

Scott_xP said:
    How to survive the heatwave.

Live in Yorkshire.
    It was 35C here in Lake Humber the Flatlands of Yorkshire last Friday. North Yorkshire might have been OK.

Fair Isle is the place you really want.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    The Bible has been through a lot in its long existence, I'm sure it can take Biden.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,463
    Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8599005/Police-advised-automatically-believe-alleged-abuse-victims-guidelines-despite-warnings.html

How utterly depressing.

And as predicted by me.

Utterly ridiculous. I have never seem an explaantion for that guidance terminology which is even slightly convincing. The police have been provided with countless examples of words they could use to make very clear allegations will be treated seriously without crossing the line like that, yet they persist in it. They don't accept any criticism.
    I think we know that in the past the authorities have been guilty of dismissing allegations far too easily. But rather than insist that they investigate thoroughly all claims of sexual abuse, the policy has become to put together a case for prosecution even if the evidence isn't there.

If the police announced a change in policy, the Guardian would be running a story saying that the police won't believe rape victims, etc. etc.
    From my header -

“ “Any process that imposes an artificial state of mind upon an investigator is, necessarily, a flawed process. An investigator, in any reputable system of justice, must be impartial. The imposed ‘obligation to believe’ removes that impartiality.”

If the police allow sentimental beliefs, preconceived opinions and assumptions, pressure from the media or politicians to override the judgments they need to make, they are doing a profound disservice – to the victims (who need their complaints taken seriously and investigated properly, a crucially important difference to simply being believed), to the defendants (who are entitled not to be accused publicly – or at all – on the basis of opinion unsupported by any evidence), to the public’s faith in policing, to the administration of justice itself.”
    It's not rocket science, is it? That's why I thinking he’d by it is ideological.
    Too much thinking by those in public life is infected by a sort of ideological sentimentality, an assumption that feelings - and how strong they are - however ridiculous and however outweighed by other factors - should be the only or main determinant of policy.

It is groupthink. It's the sort of thing that has been actively fostered in public life since the Blair years. It will take a long time to filter out - it won't just be overturned by people 'coming to their senses'.

Personally I would ask everyone applying for a leading position in public life the interview question 'Can you tell us about a time you made a calculated departure from accepted norms to secure a great outcome for the public.'. We need to switch from a 'groupthinkers only' recruitment strategy to an 'independent thinkers only' one.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,463

CatMan said:

"The Attorney General of New York took action today to dissolve the National Rifle Association, following an 18-month investigation that found evidence the powerful gun rights group is "fraught with fraud and abuse."

Attorney General Letitia James claims in a lawsuit filed Thursday that she found financial misconduct in the millions of dollars, and that it contributed to a loss of more than $64 million over a three year period."

I don't get what some of you are saying. Are they supposed to say "Oh but it's an election year and we don't want to give Trump something he can use so let's just drop it and pretend nothing happened"?

Yes, probably.

This is a totemic issue. And anyway if there's been misconduct why not bring charges against the individuals, rather than trying to disband the organisation?
    Under NY State law, organizations incorporated with the state have significant legal obligations. Removals of charters is sanction for misbehavior.

NRA could (and likely will) incorporate in a more obliging state. BUT until that happens, they are bound to follow the law NOT flout it.
    What does the 64 mill loss mean? Who lost it and where did it go?
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

How utterly depressing.

And as predicted by me.

That's what happens when institutions like the police get taken over by left-wing retards.
    The word “retard” is not at all acceptable to say. Who do you think you are?
    "You never go full retard!"
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

CatMan said:

"The Attorney General of New York took action today to dissolve the National Rifle Association, following an 18-month investigation that found evidence the powerful gun rights group is "fraught with fraud and abuse."

Attorney General Letitia James claims in a lawsuit filed Thursday that she found financial misconduct in the millions of dollars, and that it contributed to a loss of more than $64 million over a three year period."

I don't get what some of you are saying. Are they supposed to say "Oh but it's an election year and we don't want to give Trump something he can use so let's just drop it and pretend nothing happened"?

Yes, probably.

This is a totemic issue. And anyway if there's been misconduct why not bring charges against the individuals, rather than trying to disband the organisation?
    Under NY State law, organizations incorporated with the state have significant legal obligations. Removals of charters is sanction for misbehavior.

NRA could (and likely will) incorporate in a more obliging state. BUT until that happens, they are bound to follow the law NOT flout it.
    America is a strange country. For a country that is allegedly pro-business and private individuals it's amazing how entwined the state is in things like organizations and voting in internal party elections.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

How utterly depressing.

And as predicted by me.

From my header -

Investigation as therapy.
    = a bad investigation.
    Regretfully I don't know that investigatory standards are the key driver for the authorities.

Sometimes I feel like I'm a bit harsh on this subject, but there's some pretty basic principles that seem obvious to apply in such cases and their being so basic yet not followed or even outright repudiated drives me to frustration and anger.

I don't investigate myself, though I have occasion to read investigation reports sometimes thankfully on far pettier matters, and it can be striking how even those pettier ones can be more rigorous. But then I remember that that is part of the point, to make the more serious matter easier.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    kle4 said:

The Bible has been through a lot in its long existence, I'm sure it can take Biden.
    America could do with a lot less God groupthink.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,002
    Yay.

Login issues fixed :smile:
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

How utterly depressing.

And as predicted by me.

That's what happens when institutions like the police get taken over by left-wing retards.
    I suggest that you never become an Airbus pilot in that case ;)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

“Nobody thinks Trump has a mental issue."

Rudy Giuliani

Genuine laugh out loud.

There are no tanks in Baghdad.
    Rudy’s on a train to nowhere....

... halfway down the line,
    He don't wanna get there, but he needs time
    He ain't sophisticated, nor well-educated
    After all the hours he wasted, still he needs time.

;)
  • Options

CatMan said:

Yes, probably.

There are a lot of stories about the senior management (and board) of the NRA using the organisation's resources for their own personal benefit. I don't know how true they are, but the stories suggest a culture where there were few checks and balances and money could be spent at will.

In many ways, it remind me of War on Want.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:

Yes, probably.

There are a lot of stories about the senior management (and board) of the NRA using the organisation's resources for their own personal benefit. I don't know how true they are, but the stories suggest a culture where there were few checks and balances and money could be spent at will.

In many ways, it remind me of War on Want.

When Ollie North steps down as your President because things seem a bit too corrupt that is probably a canary in the coal mine moment.

I had forgot this was all being openly talked about in April last year.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yay.

Are you sure? Almost no one has commented since you posted this :open_mouth:
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Yay.

They just don't realise they're fixed yet :smile:
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

rcs1000 said:

Yay.

Our url has changed as well

We are now VF

Ventricular Fibrillation?
    Vegan Freaks?
    Vanity Fair?

Characteristics of all of the above?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yay.

That is what they said about the tom cat ;)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,676
    "OAP Brits who refuse to pay their TV licence may face BAILIFFS as the BBC splurges £38million on staff to collect the £157.50 bill.

The Beeb has hired 800 agents and set up new call centres to collect the fee and deal with queries."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12326581/oaps-tv-licence-bill-bailiffs/
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    We have a vast GCHQ headquarters with listening stations everywhere. It is clearly monitoring communications during this outbreak:
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-intelligence-agency-issues-public-warning-about-criminals-exploiting-outbreak-11958113

They are funded to snoop. Why can't track and trace be put squarely in their lap?

-It would be a publicity win for the spooks
    -It makes the most of a national asset we've spent vast amounts on
    -Hopefully they'd do a good job - they'd certainly have a vested interest in doing so

Because, I dunno, may be they are busy with Russia, China and the Islamist terrorists?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"OAP Brits who refuse to pay their TV licence may face BAILIFFS as the BBC splurges £38million on staff to collect the £157.50 bill.

The Beeb has hired 800 agents and set up new call centres to collect the fee and deal with queries."

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/12326581/oaps-tv-licence-bill-bailiffs/

Average fully loaded cost of £47,500 per head? Something doesn’t add up...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,676
    Does this count as a serious gaffe from Biden?

"Biden: Unlike The African-American Community, The Latino Community Is An Incredibly Diverse Community"

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/08/06/biden_unlike_the_african-american_community_the_latino_community_is_an_incredibly_diverse_community.html
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Does this count as a serious gaffe from Biden?

"Biden: Unlike The African-American Community, The Latino Community Is An Incredibly Diverse Community"

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/08/06/biden_unlike_the_african-american_community_the_latino_community_is_an_incredibly_diverse_community.html

It was a stupid thing to say, but it was also not necessarily wrong. Cuban Americans see themselves as very different to Mexican Americans.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,286
    Nicola Sturgeon’s recent actions:

Looks at bus.

Looks at Swinney.

Looks at bus again.

Hurls Swinney under it with great force.

https://www.tes.com/news/i-could-have-joined-sqa-protest-admits-sturgeon

Although the more alarming news is that OFQUAL has also used the same inappropriate and inaccurate algorithm to calculate its results.

This is going to be the nastiest of nasty train wrecks.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Yay.

Wasn't all that easy, having turned my computer off overnight, to sign on this morning. Password wasn't 'remembered' and it couldn't send me an email to reset. Had to find my password in my own store.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

tlg86 said:

Cyclefree said:

How utterly depressing.

And as predicted by me.

The wokes are coming , buy PC dictionaries
  • Options
    Charles said:

Scott_xP said:
    We have a vast GCHQ headquarters with listening stations everywhere. It is clearly monitoring communications during this outbreak:
    https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-intelligence-agency-issues-public-warning-about-criminals-exploiting-outbreak-11958113

They are funded to snoop. Why can't track and trace be put squarely in their lap?

-It would be a publicity win for the spooks
    -It makes the most of a national asset we've spent vast amounts on
    -Hopefully they'd do a good job - they'd certainly have a vested interest in doing so

Because, I dunno, may be they are busy with Russia, China and the Islamist terrorists?
    Maybe they are just crap and a complete waste of money
  • Options
    Spanish government confirms no EU veto for an independent Scotland
    The Spanish government has clarified that if Scotland becomes an independent state, it will not have to "wait in line" to become a full member of the European Union, nor would Spain veto its membership application.

In a letter obtained from the newspaper 'The National', Spanish Consul General in Edinburgh, Miguel Angel Vecino Quintana confirms that Spain "will not block Scotland's entry into the European Union if independence is legally achieved."

• Options
    edited August 2020
    malcolmg said:

The Spanish government has clarified that if Scotland becomes an independent state, it will not have to "wait in line" to become a full member of the European Union, nor would Spain veto its membership application.

In a letter obtained from the newspaper 'The National', Spanish Consul General in Edinburgh, Miguel Angel Vecino Quintana confirms that Spain "will not block Scotland's entry into the European Union if independence is legally achieved."

Malc, why have you just posted a story that’s over a year old and had a second act?

https://www.politico.eu/article/spain-fires-diplomat-in-scotland-over-eu-membership-letter/

Oh - and

new thread

• Options
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Malc, why have you just posted a story that’s over a year old and had a second act?

https://www.politico.eu/article/spain-fires-diplomat-in-scotland-over-eu-membership-letter/

Oh - and

new thread

Just because I wanted to and it is an update from the Spanish government. We get plenty of crap on here about past Tory victories, do you ever question the fact that they constantly harp back to past glories??
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Oh - and

new thread

Just because I wanted to and it is an update from the Spanish government. We get plenty of crap on here about past Tory victories, do you ever question the fact that they constantly harp back to past glories??
    Yes.

And I don’t see any update. The update was they sacked their consul.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    F1: Perez positive still for COVID-19. Hulkenberg may have another race after all.
This discussion has been closed.