Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Opinium finds a net 13% drop in two weeks in government’s “Cor

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Opinium finds a net 13% drop in two weeks in government’s “Coronavirus Handling” approval rating

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,862
    I'm losing confidence in them, I must admit. Clearly not alone in this.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    It's not so much that the easing is too fast or too slow, but that it is too jerky and badly explained.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    kinabalu said:

I never had confidence in them, however I equally don't think anyone else would have done much better.
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

I never had confidence in them, however I equally don't think anyone else would have done much better.
    Hunt?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    kinabalu said:

https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/1290304128095313920
  • StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Fantastic SCon figure in that Opinium, more than double SLab’s 14%.

Fieldwork prior to the Carlaw sacking, but still.

With the SLDs on a dire 1% (fairly typical in recent polls), the SCons have totally cornered the British nationalist vote.

https://www.opinium.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/VI-30-07-2020-Data-Tables-1.xlsx
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,778

It's not so much that the easing is too fast or too slow, but that it is too jerky and badly explained.

The other problem is one that is all too often missed, both on here and in the wider world:

There's usually a ten to fourteen day gap between infection and diagnosis.

Add to this the fact that people are most infectious before they show symptoms, and you have a recipe for decision making (and judging) that happens with eyes fixed firmly on the rear view mirror.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,769
    In this pious hope that this thread will be third time lucky:
    Scott_xP said:
    @TheScreamingEagles

What was that about disgraced national security risks again?
    Scott_xP said:

kinabalu said:

Given that we don't actually have quarantine anyway, that would be the most meaningless diplomatic gesture since Andorra declared war on Germany.
  • Scott_xP said:

kinabalu said:

Its logical. We can control the virus in our own country more than other countries and if people want to travel and go through airports then let them quarantine afterwards.

If people want to take a holiday then I'm sure there's UK destinations that could do with the customers!
  • ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    @TheScreamingEagles

Boris Johnson has at least two of them in the current cabinet, and Liam Fox he nominated for an important WTO job?

Is it any surprise a man called Boris might not have the best interest of Le Royaume-Uni at heart.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

With the SLDs on a dire 1% (fairly typical in recent polls), the SCons have totally cornered the British nationalist vote.

https://www.opinium.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/VI-30-07-2020-Data-Tables-1.xlsx

Be wary of subsamples.The LDs would perform better than that in reality.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

I think to a degree that was inevitable, as a stop start kind of approach was not all that unexpected in a fast changing situation, especially one which, as rcs1000 notes, by the time you can see something it may be too late.

I was going to say the LDs seem to fading to nothing outside England, given it is bad in Wales too I believe, but it is not exactly a rosy picture there either. Not sure how the new leader could reverse that.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    kinabalu said:

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Hunt?
    RCS1000 outlines the problem better than I would.
    rcs1000 said:

The other problem is one that is all too often missed, both on here and in the wider world:

Add to this the fact that people are most infectious before they show symptoms, and you have a recipe for decision making (and judging) that happens with eyes fixed firmly on the rear view mirror.
    Basically by the time you know you need to do something it's too late which means you need to hit things early which means you will need to hit them often which will eventually cause resentment.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    rcs1000 said:

Yep, this is by any standards an incredibly challenging set of trade-offs, and it's fair to say that other countries are also finding it very hard to ease off lockdowns safely. Still, the government hasn't helped itself (or us) by screwing up the messaging so much, and the media have made it worse by their incessant whingeing at every stage - 'too fast, too slow, targeting BAME communities, not doing enough for BAME communities, putting the economy before public health, wrecking businesses...', and that's just one BBC news programme (any BBC news programme, it sometimes seems).
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    rcs1000 said:

Correct - although ironically they got it right with Spain - the infection growth in many of the costas is quite rapid now. I am no longer convinced the authorities have got a handle on it.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,630
    England case data

England case numbers -

England case numbers scaled to 100k population

• ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:
    @TheScreamingEagles

That is the sort of detail that should have been in the Committee report Boris tried to suppress.
  • felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Correct - although ironically they got it right with Spain - the infection growth in many of the costas is quite rapid now. I am no longer convinced the authorities have got a handle on it.
    If people were travelling between the mainland and the costas then it was quite probable the costas were two weeks behind the mainland.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited August 2020
    Whatever the arguments, the polls suggest many people seem quite content to put up with the restrictions they are having to endure
    kle4 said:

I was going to say the LDs seem to fading to nothing outside England, given it is bad in Wales too I believe, but it is not exactly a rosy picture there either. Not sure how the new leader could reverse that.

The LibDems need some sort of policy that is enthusiastically supported by about 15% of the population, but which is ignored by the other 85%. Opposition to the Iraq war in the mid-2000s was one example of this.

In all likelihood something will come along - perhaps they end up being the lockdown-sceptics.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,725

England case numbers -

Are todays number of new cases the highest since June?
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited August 2020
    kle4 said:

I think to a degree that was inevitable, as a stop start kind of approach was not all that unexpected in a fast changing situation, especially one which, as rcs1000 notes, by the time you can see something it may be too late.

Liberalism in the very fringy bits of the Celtic Fringe is very ingrained. Orkney and Shetland will probably stay LD this side of a zombie apocalypse (although I dare say that's pencilled in for 2021) and every once in a while Ceredigion will go LD, and then back again.
    PHE all settings numbers -

Note the huge gap at the end, from the weekend reporting shadow.... Tomorrow, expect a big headline number as the lawyer with the kimono and the baseball bat comes off weekend break.

• RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

England case numbers -

[Snipped out to save scrolling]

Wonder what's going on in Leeds. It was pretty low for a few weeks, but then a bigger spike in the last few days. I know one of my friends who recently returned from Berlin tested positive and test and trace have been active with him.
  • rcs1000 said:

Yep, this is by any standards an incredibly challenging set of trade-offs, and it's fair to say that other countries are also finding it very hard to ease off lockdowns safely. Still, the government hasn't helped itself (or us) by screwing up the messaging so much, and the media have made it worse by their incessant whingeing at every stage - 'too fast, too slow, targeting BAME communities, not doing enough for BAME communities, putting the economy before public health, wrecking businesses...', and that's just one BBC news programme (any BBC news programme, it sometimes seems).
    The media complained and complained about quarantine in particular. The media clearly wanted their holidays even if most responsible people are staying in the UK and not going abroad this year.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    FPT @ geoffw
    TimT said:
    » show previous quotes
    "That would bump me up the list, so perhaps I should agree. :hushed:

"Seriously, Redfield's comment about it needing to be seen to be fair and equitable, not just efficient and effective, is a key point."

geoffw said
    "Sorry to differ with you about that. It is easy to agree on the words "fair and equitable" but also easy to dispute any particular notion of what that entails in practice. I think the sole aim is to control the epidemic, both the severity and the spread. A corollary could be that if it threatens to rage in poor countries with deficient health systems, then they should perhaps be prioritised."

At some point lack of 'fair and equitable' impairs the performance of 'efficient and effective'.
    rpjs said:

kle4 said:

Liberalism in the very fringy bits of the Celtic Fringe is very ingrained. Orkney and Shetland will probably stay LD this side of a zombie apocalypse (although I dare say that's pencilled in for 2021) and every once in a while Ceredigion will go LD, and then back again.
    I find it pretty incredible that the LDs barely lost Ceredigion in 2017, but came third in 2019, at a time where they were polling higher.

One of those odd seats that survived the 2015 cull but not 2017 to boot.

England case numbers -

Well, the number for the 29th by specimen date - 925 is similar to mid June.

The headline number is reporting date and is generally not worth bothering with.
    felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Spanish deaths per day are still under 10 though, right? and have been for some time
    edited August 2020
    928 new positive tests in last 24hrs compared to 685 last week at the same time.

Seems like a marvelous opportunity to launch a scheme to get everyone to go to restaurants and eat for half price

TORY FIASCO
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    RH1992 said:

England case numbers -

Wonder what's going on in Leeds. It was pretty low for a few weeks, but then a bigger spike in the last few days. I know one of my friends who recently returned from Berlin tested positive and test and trace have been active with him.
    Leeds getting promoted? :D

England case numbers -

The headline number is reporting date and is generally not worth bothering with.
    Do you think there is a trend?

If so is it down, flat or rising?
  • Scott_xP said:

kinabalu said:

Its logical. We can control the virus in our own country more than other countries and if people want to travel and go through airports then let them quarantine afterwards.

If people want to take a holiday then I'm sure there's UK destinations that could do with the customers!
    But we don't quarantine anyone

RH1992 said:

England case numbers -

Has to be a link you would have thought

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Using the headline number is for Piers Morgan.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Scott_xP said:

kinabalu said:

You are supposed to, aren't you?
  • RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

kinabalu said:

You are supposed to, aren't you?
    Unless you want to go for an eye test.
    kle4 said:

rpjs said:

kle4 said:

I find it pretty incredible that the LDs barely lost Ceredigion in 2017, but came third in 2019, at a time where they were polling higher.

Of the eight seats that the LDs retained in 2015, I think they only won two in 2019 (Orkney & Shetland, and Westmoreland & Lonsdale). In the intervening period - despite adding three seats net - they managed to lose Eastbourne, Sheffield Hallam, Ceredigion, Carshalton & Wallington, North Norfolk, and Leeds North West.

RH1992 said:

England case numbers -

Has to be a link you would have thought
    Could well be, I suppose I'll try and see which neighbourhoods have the highest spikes when the data comes out later in the week, because if it's NW Leeds it's more likely to be students misbehaving rather than that.

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Thanks Malmesbury

If cases are rising, will Eat out to help out make matters significantly worse or have little impact in your opinion?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,724
    kle4 said:

rpjs said:

kle4 said:

Get the impression that the PC, Ben Lake, put a LOT of work in. Local boy, too, and, in a constituency with a lot of Welsh speakers, he is. Which Williams wasn't

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Thanks Malmesbury

If cases are rising, will Eat out to help out make matters significantly worse or have little impact in your opinion?
    Is transmission more likely in a place that enforces distancing compared to one that doesn't?

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Spanish deaths per day are still under 10 though, right? and have been for some time
    Yes.

But remember this rule of thumb: 14 days between infection and diagnosis, seven days between diagnosis and hospitalisation, and 14 days between hospitalisation and death. (Herman Cain having pretty much nailed that timetable, assuming he got his CV19 at Trump's Tulsa rally.)

That being said, the current age profile of infections (i.e. younger people) suggests that we won't see that much in the way of hospitalisations and deaths, at least initially. The problem occurs when Junior passes CV19 onto dad (who still feels fine and is presymptomatic), who then goes to see granddad.

There's a great heatmap for Florida showing how infection went from being all about 16-24 year olds a month ago, and are slowly but surely rising up the age brackets.

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

The deaths are much better - improved treatments perhaps but mainly a much younger age profile for contagion so far. I worry that this could easily change as the numbers of cases grow. Also - the Spanish data is estimated to have undercounted deaths by around 20,000 overall so I would not be too trusting of the figures. I'm afraid the decision to go for a big tourist season at the last minute was, albeit understandable, a mistake. The Spanish nighlife is driving the figures on the costas now. My own tiny little tourist town has 25 new cases this w/e with more to follow. This was the first time the cumulative total had gone above 6 or 7!
  • Scott_xP said:
    Scott_xP said:
    What were the figures when "MP" is replaced by "pop singer" or "DJ"?

Scott_xP said:
    Scott_xP said:
    Or "MP" with "Tory MP"/"Labour MP" :p
    edited August 2020
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Hunt?
    RCS1000 outlines the problem better than I would.
    rcs1000 said:

Basically by the time you know you need to do something it's too late which means you need to hit things early which means you will need to hit them often which will eventually cause resentment.
    It's a difficult thing to manage no question about that. But if the Tory leadership run off had gone differently we could have had a PM with the perfect profile for this. An unflappable and diligent guy who was Health Secretary for 7 years. Instead we have Boris Johnson.

So it's a case of what might have been and when contemplating this disastrous combination of Covid pandemic and PM "Boris" that's the word that tends to spring to my mind - Hunt.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

The deaths are much better - improved treatments perhaps but mainly a much younger age profile for contagion so far. I worry that this could easily change as the numbers of cases grow. Also - the Spanish data is estimated to have undercounted deaths by around 20,000 overall so I would not be too trusting of the figures. I'm afraid the decision to go for a big tourist season at the last minute was, albeit understandable, a mistake. The Spanish nighlife is driving the figures on the costas now. My own tiny little tourist town has 25 new cases this w/e with more to follow. This was the first time the cumulative total had gone above 6 or 7!
    Surely if everyone then doesn't go and hug their grandparents the "much younger age profile" will mean that cases are simply not that much a problem?
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Surely if everyone then doesn't go and hug their grandparents the "much younger age profile" will mean that cases are simply not that much a problem?
    Someone else posted here that Florida's numbers were primarily young when the outbreak started, but it's been gradually getting worse for the older folks.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    rpjs said:

kle4 said:

Not before December? Damn. It's the only one missing on my 2020 apocalypse bingo.
    felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

The problem is that when restrictions are lifted, (young) people don't slowly increase their social circle, they suddenly go and do all the things they weren't previously allowed to do.

They go to nightclubs and bars and socialise with their friends and have a great time, and suddenly you country doesn't have 1,000 people with CV19, it has 25,000.
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Someone else posted here that Florida's numbers were primarily young when the outbreak started, but it's been gradually getting worse for the older folks.
    Is there a connection between the two?
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Is there a connection between the two?
    I think that was the implication.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,963
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

The problem is in those multi-generational households who don't hug - just share the same air.
    edited August 2020
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

That's correct, initially.

But it's almost impossible to keep age groups truly separated. On Sunday, Junior comes home for dinner with his parents. Junior is presymptomatic and feels fine, but he might be highly contagious. He gives it to his 50 year old parents, who while also presymptomatic go and visit Granddad.

Result - Granddad gets it.

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Thanks Malmesbury

Transmission is happening, it seems, *a lot* at gatherings in private.

A commercial premises with actual distancing is probably safer.

TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

The problem is in those multi-generational households who don't hug - just share the same air.
    I think if people are aware of the risks then can we not leave it up to them? Do we know the number of such households in general?
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Spanish people love to give 'besos y abrazos' to family and friends.!
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    TimT said:

FPT @ geoffw
    TimT said:
    » show previous quotes

"Seriously, Redfield's comment about it needing to be seen to be fair and equitable, not just efficient and effective, is a key point."

geoffw said
    "Sorry to differ with you about that. It is easy to agree on the words "fair and equitable" but also easy to dispute any particular notion of what that entails in practice. I think the sole aim is to control the epidemic, both the severity and the spread. A corollary could be that if it threatens to rage in poor countries with deficient health systems, then they should perhaps be prioritised."

At some point lack of 'fair and equitable' impairs the performance of 'efficient and effective'.

It's too open to dispute. Who, or what mechanism, would make the decision? Does your wealth/income play any role? Or your race or gender or pre-existing conditions? Or your status as a celebrity/non-entity? Or your age? That last is difficult - the aged may not have many qualys left, but face the severest consequences. No, a purely random lottery seems to me the best way to allocate it if "fairness and equity" is the criterion. But as I said before, that should not be the approach, it should be solely focussed on containing the epidemic.

https://espanadiario.net/amp/actualidad/datos-coronavirus-3-agosto-2020?fbclid=IwAR2RbvzWPLBw7H9lzGA_SM4isCoY76uO2Dhfhcb1nL8l-Lfbn2A_-clOdZc

8000+ new cases this w/e not counting Madrid, Catalonia and Navarra as they 'don't have those figures yet'!

Forget the second wave we may be on the second tide!
    rcs1000 said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

The problem is that when restrictions are lifted, (young) people don't slowly increase their social circle, they suddenly go and do all the things they weren't previously allowed to do.

They go to nightclubs and bars and socialise with their friends and have a great time, and suddenly you country doesn't have 1,000 people with CV19, it has 25,000.
    Exactly what is happening in my local tourist hotspot Mojacar - they claim Disney was born here!
    RobD said:

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Thanks Malmesbury

Is transmission more likely in a place that enforces distancing compared to one that doesn't?
    A shared space with 50 people socially distanced compared to a family home with 4 people not socially distanced? I would have thought generally the latter is safer. What do you think?
    felix said:

https://espanadiario.net/amp/actualidad/datos-coronavirus-3-agosto-2020?fbclid=IwAR2RbvzWPLBw7H9lzGA_SM4isCoY76uO2Dhfhcb1nL8l-Lfbn2A_-clOdZc

8000+ new cases this w/e not counting Madrid, Catalonia and Navarra as they 'don't have those figures yet'!

What has the testing incidence been like?
    edited August 2020

RobD said:

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Thanks Malmesbury

A shared space with 50 people socially distanced compared to a family home with 4 people not socially distanced? I would have thought generally the latter is safer. What do you think?
    Restaurants are typically seating 50 people at a time now? In any case, I would have thought the former was safer simply due to the distance. Meeting friends and family in your home without distancing seems far riskier. Isn't that the suspected cause of the outbreaks in the NW?
    edited August 2020
    rpjs said:

kle4 said:

Between 2005 and 2019 the Welsh Liberal Democrats lost almost exactly 164,000 voters (from 256,249 to 92,269) and all four of the seats they held. They went from a serious, nationwide force that spent time in government at Westminster and Cardiff level and was the second largest party by Westminster seats to a total irrelevance. Of the four seats they held, they are now second in just two, and a poor second at that. It is over five years since they won a seat at a general election - Ceredigion in 2015.

Do not assume they are coming back by an ineluctable swing of the pendulum from this collapse. They don't have the chapel vote to fall back on now - very few chapels survive at all in Wales - and the students and lecturers in Cardiff Central and Ceredigion have abandoned them.
  • kinabalu said:

if the Tory leadership run off had gone differently we could have had a PM with the perfect profile for this. An unflappable and diligent guy who was Health Secretary for 7 years.

This has to rank as the biggest volte face on a political opponent since the American left canonised George W. Bush. Does anybody remember Hunt being described as "unflappable and diligent" during the doctor's strike?

Scott_xP said:
    Scott_xP said:
    Jess Philips hits the public mood again! And of course Malc G also. Apparently if you change MP to A former Scottish SNP leader the figures change again!
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,867
    edited August 2020
    rcs1000 said:

kle4 said:

The LibDems need some sort of policy that is enthusiastically supported by about 15% of the population, but which is ignored by the other 85%. Opposition to the Iraq war in the mid-2000s was one example of this.

In all likelihood something will come along - perhaps they end up being the lockdown-sceptics.
    Brexit, obviously. If I remember correctly, the LDs' opposition to the Iraq war didn't help them at all at the time. It was only in later years, as disillusionment with the war grew, that they were able to capitalise on their opposition to it. I expect something similar with Brexit, so long as they have a decent leader (please let it be Davey!).
    edited August 2020

RobD said:

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Thanks Malmesbury

I disagree. Surfaces less likely to be sanitised as regularly in a home setting, less ventilation in small living rooms, no social distancing = more chance of particulates being spread close to others.
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

Testing has ramped up in recent weeks but a lot of it is in response to outbreaks and sadly therefore a bit too late!
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,092
    felix said:

Jeez, stay safe!

felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

Testing has ramped up in recent weeks but a lot of it is in response to outbreaks and sadly therefore a bit too late!
    Yes we always need to know the testing because as was pointed out earlier on here, with the same testing regime we have now, earlier case incidence would have been astronomical.
    TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Easier said than done in Spanish families. And numbers in hospital/ICU are slowly heading up as well now. Hope I am wrong but fearing I'm not.
    felix said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Easier said than done in Spanish families. And numbers in hospital/ICU are slowly heading up as well now. Hope I am wrong but fearing I'm not.
    Yes it's interesting. The govt is saying, effectively, you can't be trusted to keep yourselves safe so we will use administrative methods to do so.

Now it may well be that this is the right way to go about it. But some part of me thinks it is not a mode of government that I feel particularly happy or comfortable with.
    RH1992 said:

RobD said:

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Thanks Malmesbury

I disagree. Surfaces less likely to be sanitised as regularly in a home setting, less ventilation in small living rooms, no social distancing = more chance of particulates being spread close to others.
    Hmmm. Our latest outbreak casued by poorly paid waiters all living together in crowded accommodation. Our, local Mayor seems not to have realised any of these facts in advance. Mojacar has been a tourist town since the 1960s and she's lived here her entire life - indeed her family are major local employers....
    RH1992 said:

RobD said:

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Thanks Malmesbury

The problem is also bigger private gatherings than 4 people. Some people think that 25 people in the living room is how things should be...
    edited August 2020
    I don't see how we square RCS's circle.

Even vaccines don;t prevent all deaths, old and vulnerable people still pass away in winter from flu and will from COVID.

We;re doomed to repeat this cycle until the economy collapses to such an extent that granny never gets to die of COVID, because she dies of undiagnosed cancer ten years earlier, or some other disease the health service of that country can no longer afford to treat because private sector revenues have evaporated.
    felix said:

RH1992 said:

RobD said:

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Thanks Malmesbury

Hmmm. Our latest outbreak casued by poorly paid waiters all living together in crowded accommodation. Our, local Mayor seems not to have realised any of these facts in advance. Mojacar has been a tourist town since the 1960s and she's lived here her entire life - indeed her family are major local employers....
    Doesn't that actually support the point that the household is riskier than the restaurant?
  • Scott_xP said:
    So the victim is (a) gullible, (b) not using a secured server, and (c) does not have multi-factor authentication (MFA) set up. Glad to see our National Cybersecurity Centre is earning its keep. I wonder how many Cabinet Ministers would hand over their passwords to anyone who phoned up claiming to be Dominic Cummings' new IT weirdo.
    I have been to Cineworld twice since they reopened.

Friday afternoon. 4 members of staff visible, all concessions except pick and mix open. No bookings at all except me. I was only customer in foyer and only one in the screening. When i came out one of staff told me 5 films that afternoon 4 customers in total.

This afternoon There were 3 advance bookings according to their booking screen. Nobody except me in the foyer which i sat in for 10 mins None of the other 2 who booked for unhinged turned up attended.

Have now been twice, not seen another customer perhaps its me that is "unhinged"

Oh and why on earth are Cineworld not participants in help out to eat out? Are they eligible?

RIP Cineworld.

Tomorrow our bubble has a table for 4 at our local HOTO Restaurant. We are 50/50 about cancelling tonight to give them chance to re sell the table. Or will it be empty like the Cinema?

RobD said:

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Thanks Malmesbury

If it were a completely sealed 50 vs a completely sealed 4, I'd say you would be right. If not completely sealed, with people from the home leaving to do work or shopping etc..., I think the evidence is clearly that the home situation spreads it more.
  • kinabalu said:

if the Tory leadership run off had gone differently we could have had a PM with the perfect profile for this. An unflappable and diligent guy who was Health Secretary for 7 years.

This has to rank as the biggest volte face on a political opponent since the American left canonised George W. Bush. Does anybody remember Hunt being described as "unflappable and diligent" during the doctor's strike?
    I remember Hunt being described as the Health Secretary who sat on the Cygnus report that warned of shortfalls in equipment to handle a pandemic.

I have been to Cineworld twice since they reopened.

Friday afternoon. 4 members of staff visible, all concessions except pick and mix open. No bookings at all except me. I was only customer in foyer and only one in the screening. When i came out one of staff told me 5 films that afternoon 4 customers in total.

This afternoon There were 3 advance bookings according to their booking screen. Nobody except me in the foyer which i sat in for 10 mins None of the other 2 who booked for unhinged turned up attended.

Have now been twice, not seen another customer perhaps its me that is "unhinged"

Oh and why on earth are Cineworld not participants in help out to eat out? Are they eligible?

RIP Cineworld.

Tomorrow our bubble has a table for 4 at our local HOTO Restaurant. We are 50/50 about cancelling tonight to give them chance to re sell the table. Or will it be empty like the Cinema?

My local Odeon hasn't reopened yet, but I'd be worried - it was pretty empty a lot of the time anyway, despite the town being desperate for a cinema for 25 years.
    RobD said:

felix said:

RH1992 said:

RobD said:

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Thanks Malmesbury

Doesn't that actually support the point that the household is riskier than the restaurant?
    Oh sorry, yes I was disagreeing with the first one. I think. It's so hot here I need to hydrate!
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

I think if people are aware of the risks then can we not leave it up to them? Do we know the number of such households in general?
    Again, the issue is when they go an do their shift in Tesco and end up infecting half of their colleagues. People can get it if they choose to, but they will end up infecting a lot of people who haven't made that choice and the result will be a second 3-5 week national lockdown.

I'm not a big nanny state type of person, however, in this instance the individual doesn't know best and the state does, even this one.
    felix said:

RobD said:

felix said:

RH1992 said:

RobD said:

England case numbers -

Cases are rising.

Thanks Malmesbury

Oh sorry, yes I was disagreeing with the first one. I think. It's so hot here I need to hydrate!
    The "hmm" was ambiguous enough, don't worry!
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Again, the issue is when they go an do their shift in Tesco and end up infecting half of their colleagues. People can get it if they choose to, but they will end up infecting a lot of people who haven't made that choice and the result will be a second 3-5 week national lockdown.

I'm not a big nanny state type of person, however, in this instance the individual doesn't know best and the state does, even this one.
    That I suppose, as we all said right from the start, from before the start, that testing holds the key to the maintenance and survival of our economic health.
    geoffw said:

TimT said:

FPT @ geoffw
    TimT said:
    » show previous quotes

geoffw said

It's too open to dispute. Who, or what mechanism, would make the decision? Does your wealth/income play any role? Or your race or gender or pre-existing conditions? Or your status as a celebrity/non-entity? Or your age? That last is difficult - the aged may not have many qualys left, but face the severest consequences. No, a purely random lottery seems to me the best way to allocate it if "fairness and equity" is the criterion. But as I said before, that should not be the approach, it should be solely focussed on containing the epidemic.

Thanks for the thoughtful response. We simply disagree. Whatever route is taken, the public as a whole must have faith in it. Not just parts of the public.

In practice, I don't think our philosophical difference in approach would actually turn out that different in who gets it when.
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

That I suppose, as we all said right from the start, from before the start, that testing holds the key to the maintenance and survival of our economic health.
    Yes, I'm very interested to see what this new 90 minute test is all about. It could end be the difference with returning to mostly normal life for a vast majority of people and this half life until the vaccine comes. Even then, I think track and trace is a hugely important part of this and our track and trace system is rubbish, incedental meetings between strangers aren't tracked and people who break the rules are unwilling to share who else broke the rules with them to tracers so there is a gap in the testing regime.
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes, I'm very interested to see what this new 90 minute test is all about. It could end be the difference with returning to mostly normal life for a vast majority of people and this half life until the vaccine comes. Even then, I think track and trace is a hugely important part of this and our track and trace system is rubbish, incedental meetings between strangers aren't tracked and people who break the rules are unwilling to share who else broke the rules with them to tracers so there is a gap in the testing regime.
    A friend went to Kew Gardens the other day and was asked for their number/details. They said no. Going to a pub and being contacted is one thing but to be potentially locked down because someone an acre away tests positive is going to be challenging to agree to.
    edited August 2020
    On how to distribute a vaccine it should be given to economically productive middle aged people first and then the economically productive young with the second batch. Ensuring those who are most likely to get and therefore spread it will minimise the chances of another mass outbreak. I'd suggest that older people should be close to last in line as they will benefit from herd immunity and there will be less chance of side effects becoming severe.

I'm sure if the government pursue this strategy reams of paper and petabytes of internet traffic will be dedicated to how callous the approach is and how the government are abandoning vulnerable people but with a limited supply the economy takes priority.
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

felix said:

felix said:

rcs1000 said:

A friend went to Kew Gardens the other day and was asked for their number/details. They said no. Going to a pub and being contacted is one thing but to be potentially locked down because someone an acre away tests positive is going to be challenging to agree to.
    Yes absolutely agreed, I don't see any mileage in asking for details at somewhere like Kew Gardens though unless they went to the restaurant. It's gigantic and almost all outdoors.
This discussion has been closed.