Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we head into August the impact on holidays becomes the big

15678911»

Comments

• Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Scott_xP said:
    Trump's spokewomen might be free soon. Do Kelly-Anne Conway and Sarah Huckabee still take Trump's shilling?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,666
    All this chat about performance reviews and working from home versus in the office is serving to remind me what a great decision I made three years ago to retire early! :lol:
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    VP pick first week in August
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599
    edited July 2020

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's like four weeks ago when we thought there wouldn't be a statue left standing in the country by now.

Yes, who could possibly have foreseen that that was overblown, hysterical nonsense?
    I didn't know because I had no yardstick to judge how seriously to take BLM. It turns out they are more "Yeah black lives are really really important, sure, but it's vital to keep a sense of perspective."
    Maybe the people on the protests think it's job done now!
    Wasnt on the protests but think its job done "for" now rather than job done. Those open to change have listened and understood, those resistant arent ready for change at the moment.
    Yes. Frank reappraisal of Empire was never going to be the work of a single wet Wednesday afternoon.
    The historians will have a lot of work to do rewriting their books now HYUFD has discovered that Britain was in fact the main Western superpower until near the end of the Cold War.
    I said until the independence of India and I also said superpower not the only one

Britain stopped being a super-power the day Singapore fell. Or rather a few weeks before, when Japanese sunk HMS Prince of Wales & HMS Repulse.

OR you could stay the end was mid-WWII, when Britain became dependent upon US credit to stay afloat fiscally.
    Yes, I think the fall of Singapore, with the similar surrender of Hong Kong and retreat from Burma represented Britain's collapse of Empire. Particularly so because the defeats were so abject a d also defeat was at the hands of a non European power.

Not only was this a collapse of the racial, and military "superiority" of the British Empire, but the subsequent rift with Australia turned it towards America. The Empire was toast after that.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's like four weeks ago when we thought there wouldn't be a statue left standing in the country by now.

Yes, who could possibly have foreseen that that was overblown, hysterical nonsense?
    I didn't know because I had no yardstick to judge how seriously to take BLM. It turns out they are more "Yeah black lives are really really important, sure, but it's vital to keep a sense of perspective."
    Wasnt on the protests but think its job done "for" now rather than job done. Those open to change have listened and understood, those resistant arent ready for change at the moment.
    Yes. Frank reappraisal of Empire was never going to be the work of a single wet Wednesday afternoon.
    The historians will have a lot of work to do rewriting their books now HYUFD has discovered that Britain was in fact the main Western superpower until near the end of the Cold War.
    I said until the independence of India and I also said superpower not the only one

Britain stopped being a super-power the day Singapore fell. Or rather a few weeks before, when Japanese sunk HMS Prince of Wales & HMS Repulse.

OR you could stay the end was mid-WWII, when Britain became dependent upon US credit to stay afloat fiscally.
    Yes, I think the fall of Singapore, with the similar surrender of Hong Kong and retreat from Burma represented Britain's collapse of Empire. Particularly so because the defeats were so abject a d also defeat was at the hands of a non European power.

Not only was this a collapse of the racial, and military "superiority" of the British Empire, but the subsequent rift with Australia turned it towards America. The Empire was toast after that.
    Arguably the end was the Anglo-Irish Treaty. Britain had shown itself to be incapable of maintaining a hold on its oldest colony, which indeed was legally not a colony part of the metropolis itself. Yes, the UK was able to maintain the fiction, for a few years, that Ireland was still part of "His Majesty's dominions" but the reality was that British power was no longer invincible.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,577
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

The empire was almost certainly toast before that. Singapore was just the disaster which made it obvious.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    Scott_xP said:
    It's going to be some arse like Toby Young, isn't it?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208

Scott_xP said:
    Cummings ruled out as thinks its wrong for him to earn over 100k for some reason. How about his deputy, one Boris Johnson?
    This will end badly methinks.

A great deal of day to day politics will now be focused on these TV events.

But I can't see how any future PM will be able to undo it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,850
    HYUFD said:

I suppose it depends on your definition of "superpower".

Britain has never been the dominant European military power on land but as a maritime power it enjoyed a long period of ascendency.

Yet, after Yorktown, wars were won with allies, The Napoleonic Wars weren't won by Britain alone though British money and influence supported the various coalitions and arguably Prussia, Russia and Austria played a not insignificant role.

Both World Wars were won as part of alliances yet even in 1945 we still had a seat at the top table and soon after we had a Bomb keeping us there. However, if you define power as freedom to take action unilaterally, we lost that some time ago and both India and Suez were the recognition we were a bankrupt superpower.

It was the experience of Suez that convinced Macmillan Britain's destiny lay in closer economic ties with Europe which set us on the road which ended in 2016 with us voting to leave the EU.

In a sense, we are back to that question which was never resolved after 1945 - what is or should be Britain's place in the world? We have many advantages but no one suggests we are going to "go it alone" nor can we realistically claim to be comparable to the US and China and IF the last named are the global superpowers for the mid to late 21st Century, the Pacific, rather than the Atlantic, will be the focus of interest and for the first time in more than a thousand years, Europe won't be the centre of the world.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    Scott_xP said:
    It will probably be someone like Chloe Westley or Tom Harwood.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

No, as India never fell to Japan and had a far bigger population and a bigger economy than all those areas you mentioned combined.

Australia never was relevant to our superpower status
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

Scott_xP said:
    It's going to be some arse like Toby Young, isn't it?
    We can always hope .... :D:D
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,666

Scott_xP said:
    Cummings ruled out as thinks its wrong for him to earn over 100k for some reason. How about his deputy, one Boris Johnson?

Of course they could. New PM swept into No 10 on a big majority, or even on a large vote of his or her party, could simply say "we're not doing that anymore". What or who could stop them?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Arguably the end was the Anglo-Irish Treaty. Britain had shown itself to be incapable of maintaining a hold on its oldest colony, which indeed was legally not a colony part of the metropolis itself. Yes, the UK was able to maintain the fiction, for a few years, that Ireland was still part of "His Majesty's dominions" but the reality was that British power was no longer invincible.
    Ireland was even less relevant to our superpower status than Australia
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

If Napoleon had conquered Ireland, we'd probably have been defeated.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's not about the utility or value of the territory: John Bull failed to keep control of his other island. The Empire was doomed from that moment on.
  • Options
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I suppose it depends on your definition of "superpower".

Britain has never been the dominant European military power on land but as a maritime power it enjoyed a long period of ascendency.

Yet, after Yorktown, wars were won with allies, The Napoleonic Wars weren't won by Britain alone though British money and influence supported the various coalitions and arguably Prussia, Russia and Austria played a not insignificant role.

Both World Wars were won as part of alliances yet even in 1945 we still had a seat at the top table and soon after we had a Bomb keeping us there. However, if you define power as freedom to take action unilaterally, we lost that some time ago and both India and Suez were the recognition we were a bankrupt superpower.

It was the experience of Suez that convinced Macmillan Britain's destiny lay in closer economic ties with Europe which set us on the road which ended in 2016 with us voting to leave the EU.

In a sense, we are back to that question which was never resolved after 1945 - what is or should be Britain's place in the world? We have many advantages but no one suggests we are going to "go it alone" nor can we realistically claim to be comparable to the US and China and IF the last named are the global superpowers for the mid to late 21st Century, the Pacific, rather than the Atlantic, will be the focus of interest and for the first time in more than a thousand years, Europe won't be the centre of the world.

Indian independence ended British superpower status, Suez just confirmed it.

Europe was not really the centre of global economic and political and military power until the 16th century
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Another invasion scuppered by weather!
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited July 2020

Scott_xP said:

Those who wanted an end to Brussels unelected bureaucrats will be delighted that not only is the bureaucrat Cummings the decision maker for the government but that the decisions will now be presented by another unelected bureaucrat rather than the PM and his cabinet in parliament.
  • Options
    Veep betting!! Rice drops to 3.25. I think her lowest yet.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,361
    nichomar said:

VP pick first week in August

Erm, you do know August starts on Saturday?

Meanwhile, on Betfair, Susan Rice is into 3 (or 2/1) and challenging for favouritism, and is Gretchen Whitmer being nibbled back into 30 (still an outsider)?

Kamala Harris: 2.9
    Susan Rice: 3
    Karen Bass: 9.8
    Tammy Duckworth: 11.5
    Elizabeth Warren: 15.5
    Val Demings: 17
    Gretchen Whitmer: 30
    Michelle Obama: 46
    Hillary Clinton: 90
    Stacey Abrams: 90
    Keisha Lance Bottoms: 120
    Michelle Lujan Grisham: 140
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

No as there is something called the Irish Sea and after Trafalgar the Royal Navy still remained supreme
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes, I accept that is true. While the Empire increased in size post WW1, the financial situation was dire. At that time though America was looking inward, and other European countries down on their luck too.

Britain as a world power ended after Singapore though. The writing was on the wall.

I was musing on this Tweet the other day:

https://twitter.com/arlenparsa/status/1168199200183586816?s=09

It is easy to spot the hypocrisy of the USA founding fathers, but our hypocrisy fighting a war against tyranny with an undemocratic empire based on racial superiority, and well within living memory, is pretty stark too.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

Is that a value lay? Seems plausible enough and close enough to decision day that Im reluctant to take her on even at the short price but might be being overly frit.
  • Options
    Veep. Approaching cross-over Harris and Rice.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

It's not about the utility or value of the territory: John Bull failed to keep control of his other island. The Empire was doomed from that moment on.
    Yes it is, we could never have set foot in Ireland and still have been a superpower thanks to India and earlier the American colonies
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

No as there is something called the Irish Sea and after Trafalgar the Royal Navy still remained supreme
    Who cares?
  • Options

Is that a value lay? Seems plausible enough and close enough to decision day that Im reluctant to take her on even at the short price but might be being overly frit.
    You may want to wait a little bit. Still dropping.
  • Options
    NEW (Veep) THREAD!!!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989
    edited July 2020

eek said:

eek said:

And thanks for answering the performance review question, the fact it's structured on a 6 monthly basis tells me that your company isn't one for communication. Ideally you want these things done fortnightly or even weekly (heck it would only take 5 minutes as part of a catch up session) as it ensures issues are dealt with quickly and nothing is a surprise...

That doesn't sound like a performance review, just a 1-1. A performance review is a more formal and comprehensive process involving feedback from multiple sources.
    Surely feedback should be continual, if you are at the point that you need to sit down and formalise it you are heading rapidly towards performance review or a nasty surprise for either management or the employee.
    I can assure you the companies you cited use a process like I'm describing. Continual feedback is valuable but it doesn't replace a structured process for performance review.
    Formal performance reviews are counter productive. Far better to give continual feedback and support. The formal reviews can lead to games playing, resentment, and time wasting. Neither managers nor subordinates like them. I agree many companies continue to use them. It is the power of the HR department. Scrap them. I did.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

No, as India never fell to Japan and had a far bigger population and a bigger economy than all those areas you mentioned combined.

After Singapore fell, and we retreated from Burma, and permitted the Bengal famine, Britain could not hold onto India. Between Gandhis "Quit India" campaign and Bose's Indian National Army, the Empire in India had lost all credibility.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

The reason why working from home is unlikely to remain as widespread as people think is that those who work remotely are likely to get sidelined and overlooked for promotion, and are most likely to get made redundant if there's a need to reduce headcount. It's also, as others have said, very difficult for training up new staff, and for motivating teams. It's great working from home if you have a report to write, or you're developing a new software module, but that's been the case for a long time. I don't think we'll see a huge change from the pre-Covid-19 position, just some increased flexibility.

It will be very role specific. If I think of our business, sales people are going to be working in offices because they sell more if they are together, sharing info, competing etc. Content-generation and marketing can be done very effectively from home, and will only need the odd meeting in the office. Developers and designers will have to be in now and again, but not all the time. The events team, well ... we have pivoted to online events: they generate a lot less revenue, but far higher margins, than physical events; and they need far fewer people working on them and it can all be done from home.

Developers work well in a team, it would be suicide to compartmentalise them as well as separate them from each other. Honestly, the death of the office is massively overstated IMO.
    Most developers I know use a pair of headphones to drown out office noise - they really don't need the distractions of an office. The ideal solution is silence to allow them to concentrate on the problem they are currently thinking through.

But hey what do I know I've merely been one for 30 odd years...

Edit to add - this is the reason why daily stand-ups work so well - it provides a daily point at which issues can be identified and anyone having problems can put they hand up and ask for help.
    Precisely and with screen sharing and video standups nothing is lost. I did a training session for other developers on the team just last week on a system they didn't know too well with absolutely no issues using nothing more than teams and screen sharing.

I also am probably 50% to 100% more productive without the distractions of an open plan office.

I fear most companies are though going to go for a half way house, that is to say 3 days wfh 2 days in the office. To me this just means you are cutting my productivity for 2 days for no real reason unless you insist on all the team being in the same 2 days. It also cuts some of the major benefits to me of home working in that I am still tied down to the area my office is in. I can't move to an area where I could actually afford to buy a house, nor can I move to be closer to family. A family I have had little contact, a week or two a year from my holiday and phone calls etc, with since I left college because I had to move to the london area to find work from the south west.
    No brainer for you clearly.

But what about the many people who are very different personalities at work than they are at home?

Some potentially difficult challenges there.
    I am not saying people can't be office based if they like. The difference is those that want to be office based seem to think the rest of us should come in else what is the point of them being there and they will get lonely
    I think you are deliberately misunderstanding what others are saying to exaggerate your own point.

On this thread Ive probably been the poster most saying that wfh is not as simple as continuing the lockdown period. However I am agreeing that the trend is that way, just that it wont be as quick or as decisive as a forum dominated by middle aged geeks (myself included) is going to think.

Not everyone works in an analytical role where concentration is vital, not everyone has an hour commute to a nice rural or suburban home.

People new to the workplace will be at a huge disadvantage working from home, the best graduates will want to learn from our experience, and it is easier to do that in the same room.

Do businesses want to focus on getting those in the door, or on making the most out of existing staff. The answer will vary significantly for businesses.

We also dont know what happens to office costs, if they go back to 2008 levels for instance that would be about a 70% saving for our business, at which point its not particularly expensive to have an office.

Good businesses are also often communities not just a set of tasks that need to be done. The future will be varied with more working from home but it will be an evolution accelerated by covid, not a revolution where expecting people to turn up to a physical office for work becomes taboo.
    I am not misunderstanding anything I am giving my point of view as a worker. One that has been separated from his family for 30 odd years by...you must be in the office when I have never had a need to be in the offfice and work better at home,

The only reason I have had to be office based is managers who are too scared they will be shown up as superfluous as a lot are now in the covid era
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Churchill did NOT agree - he wanted to invade (Southern) Ireland, and was quite willing to let the Japanese conquer most or all of Australia.

Both as short-term measures, of course - but show how much he prioritized defense of Great Britain, and how little defense of Australia.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Foxy said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes, I accept that is true. While the Empire increased in size post WW1, the financial situation was dire. At that time though America was looking inward, and other European countries down on their luck too.

Britain as a world power ended after Singapore though. The writing was on the wall.

I was musing on this Tweet the other day:

https://twitter.com/arlenparsa/status/1168199200183586816?s=09

It is easy to spot the hypocrisy of the USA founding fathers, but our hypocrisy fighting a war against tyranny with an undemocratic empire based on racial superiority, and well within living memory, is pretty stark too.
    Only if you pretend all sins are equal.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,768
    stodge said:

Didn't it also make Britain become much more closely aligned with the US? That's not a contradiction as the US has always supported UK membership of the EU (and it's predecessors).
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

eek said:

eek said:

And thanks for answering the performance review question, the fact it's structured on a 6 monthly basis tells me that your company isn't one for communication. Ideally you want these things done fortnightly or even weekly (heck it would only take 5 minutes as part of a catch up session) as it ensures issues are dealt with quickly and nothing is a surprise...

That doesn't sound like a performance review, just a 1-1. A performance review is a more formal and comprehensive process involving feedback from multiple sources.
    Surely feedback should be continual, if you are at the point that you need to sit down and formalise it you are heading rapidly towards performance review or a nasty surprise for either management or the employee.
    I can assure you the companies you cited use a process like I'm describing. Continual feedback is valuable but it doesn't replace a structured process for performance review.
    Checks with 3 of those companies, nope, nope and nope....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited July 2020

Scott_xP said:
    Trump's spokewomen might be free soon. Do Kelly-Anne Conway and Sarah Huckabee still take Trump's shilling?
    We want Hope!
  • Options
    CatMan said:

stodge said:

Didn't it also make Britain become much more closely aligned with the US? That's not a contradiction as the US has always supported UK membership of the EU (and it's predecessors).
    Until Trump
  • Options

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Churchill did NOT agree - he wanted to invade (Southern) Ireland, and was quite willing to let the Japanese conquer most or all of Australia.

Both as short-term measures, of course - but show how much he prioritized defense of Great Britain, and how little defense of Australia.
    Ireland might have been nice to have but was irrelevant to our superpower status as indeed was Australia, we only became a superpower because of 2 colonies, those in America and then those in India
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

India was never going to remain part of the empire, whatever happened during WWII.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844
    Charles said:

eek said:

eek said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

eek said:

MaxPB said:

The reason why working from home is unlikely to remain as widespread as people think is that those who work remotely are likely to get sidelined and overlooked for promotion, and are most likely to get made redundant if there's a need to reduce headcount. It's also, as others have said, very difficult for training up new staff, and for motivating teams. It's great working from home if you have a report to write, or you're developing a new software module, but that's been the case for a long time. I don't think we'll see a huge change from the pre-Covid-19 position, just some increased flexibility.

It will be very role specific. If I think of our business, sales people are going to be working in offices because they sell more if they are together, sharing info, competing etc. Content-generation and marketing can be done very effectively from home, and will only need the odd meeting in the office. Developers and designers will have to be in now and again, but not all the time. The events team, well ... we have pivoted to online events: they generate a lot less revenue, but far higher margins, than physical events; and they need far fewer people working on them and it can all be done from home.

Developers work well in a team, it would be suicide to compartmentalise them as well as separate them from each other. Honestly, the death of the office is massively overstated IMO.
    Most developers I know use a pair of headphones to drown out office noise - they really don't need the distractions of an office. The ideal solution is silence to allow them to concentrate on the problem they are currently thinking through.

But hey what do I know I've merely been one for 30 odd years...

Edit to add - this is the reason why daily stand-ups work so well - it provides a daily point at which issues can be identified and anyone having problems can put they hand up and ask for help.
    Precisely and with screen sharing and video standups nothing is lost. I did a training session for other developers on the team just last week on a system they didn't know too well with absolutely no issues using nothing more than teams and screen sharing.

I also am probably 50% to 100% more productive without the distractions of an open plan office.

I fear most companies are though going to go for a half way house, that is to say 3 days wfh 2 days in the office. To me this just means you are cutting my productivity for 2 days for no real reason unless you insist on all the team being in the same 2 days. It also cuts some of the major benefits to me of home working in that I am still tied down to the area my office is in. I can't move to an area where I could actually afford to buy a house, nor can I move to be closer to family. A family I have had little contact, a week or two a year from my holiday and phone calls etc, with since I left college because I had to move to the london area to find work from the south west.
    No brainer for you clearly.

But what about the many people who are very different personalities at work than they are at home?

Some potentially difficult challenges there.
    I am not saying people can't be office based if they like. The difference is those that want to be office based seem to think the rest of us should come in else what is the point of them being there and they will get lonely
    I think you are deliberately misunderstanding what others are saying to exaggerate your own point.

On this thread Ive probably been the poster most saying that wfh is not as simple as continuing the lockdown period. However I am agreeing that the trend is that way, just that it wont be as quick or as decisive as a forum dominated by middle aged geeks (myself included) is going to think.

Not everyone works in an analytical role where concentration is vital, not everyone has an hour commute to a nice rural or suburban home.

People new to the workplace will be at a huge disadvantage working from home, the best graduates will want to learn from our experience, and it is easier to do that in the same room.

Do businesses want to focus on getting those in the door, or on making the most out of existing staff. The answer will vary significantly for businesses.

We also dont know what happens to office costs, if they go back to 2008 levels for instance that would be about a 70% saving for our business, at which point its not particularly expensive to have an office.

Good businesses are also often communities not just a set of tasks that need to be done. The future will be varied with more working from home but it will be an evolution accelerated by covid, not a revolution where expecting people to turn up to a physical office for work becomes taboo.
    As I said before I don't think learning by osmosis is the best approach but that is what you seem to think people should do.

What actually needs to be done is to formalise within contracts that it is the responsibility of all senior staff to support, train and advice more junior staff and ensure that is contained within whatever performance targets and tracking are used.

BTW how often does your company do performance reviews?
    Formally and documented every six months, in practice its more important that it is as and when needed for newer staff or where there are issues but thats less formal. As for learning by osmosis surely it depends what skills and knowledge you are looking to learn? If you are a young accountant seeking to understand how the IT dept or sales dept works, (which might be only a peripheral part of their role so never taught formally) talking to their peers and managers in those depts is very effective. If its a deep technical skill then of course its different.

So what is stopping them from picking up the phone and asking or using email to organise a meeting with someone in that department - most people love to talk about what they do.

The only thing the new world requires is to ensure people are better at communicating what is going on... And that is going to take time as while I can cover how MS (Consulting), Google, Stripe or even Buffer manage wholly remote workforces it requires a wholly different way of working but massive productivity gains if done correctly.

There is no way you want a formal and documented review process every week.

I talk to all my team individually every week, at least. We have team meetings 3 times a week. Feedback is given immediately. But we only have a formal and documented review process every 6 months.
    For non manager level staff a formal review every six months = this is where we come up with reasons why we wont give you a payrise this year. Poor performance shouldn't need to wait for a 6 month review it should be dealt with at the time

Best I had was well we are marking you down on safety because you had a car accidend....yes I did I was a passenger in a car where a lorry decided to occupy the same space because it was continental and opposite drive....but was the difference between getting a pay rise and not that year
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

We were never a ‘superpower’, merely the strongest of the great powers for a time.
    The term really had no meaning until after WWII.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

We were never a ‘superpower’, merely the strongest of the great powers for a time.
    The term really had no meaning until after WWII.
    Of course it did ie domination of a large proportion of the globe or domination of the global economy made you a superpower.

The Roman Empire, the Mongol Empire, the Spanish Empire and the British Empire were all superpowers before the USSR and USA came along. China was also arguably a superpower before too under the Qing dynasty
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Very interesting article about the Bonus Army in Washington in the 1920s:

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2020/07/28/when_federal_troops_swept_away_the_bonus_army_143819.html
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

HYUFD said:

rpjs said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

I presume the desire to invade Ireland was the same as that which drove the invasion of Iceland and the attempted invasion of Norway - protection of the Atlantic routes.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,274

Pulpstar said:

rpjs said:

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

I agree, during the 1920s and 30s the USA was largely demilitarised and isolationist. .

Not in naval terms - it maintained a large and effective fleet between the wars, even if it was hampered by being split betweent two oceans.
    It was only the Washington Treaty* that stopped the US from building a Two Ocean navy that would have been bigger than the RN and the Japanese Navy. Combined.

*well that and the Depression.
    We should have let them, as Churchill later said, rather than trying to limit them.

"Build what you want - you don't figure in our plans at all, except as a potential friend".
    Except: "War Plan Red was one of the color-coded war plans created by the United States War Department in the late 1920s and the early 1930s to estimate the requirements for a hypothetical war with the United Kingdom (the "Red" forces)."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Plan_Red
    I don't think the US actually expected to use it ever. Planning is what general staffs do. Probably there's still some sort of outline in the basement of the Pentagon for the general problem of "how would we conquer Canada if the President decides maple syrup is too expensive". Probably the MoD has a plan to invade France somewhere too.
    You can't possibly know that. US policy (perhaps understandably) toward Britain since the inception of the country has been ambivalent at best. Their participation in both world wars was belated and it was by no means certain which side they would join. Even in the modern era being their best buddy ever hasn't stopped them shaking down BP and Standard Chartered.
    You must be chugging EverClear IF you truly believe that USA joining with Germany in either WWI or WWII was EVER a realistic prospect.

Germany certainly realized there was ZERO chance of USA aligning self with either Kaiser's or Hitler's Reich. Only question was, would US actually go to war with Germany. Which of course we did, mostly as a result of German miscalculation.
    Thinking about it, the Ukraine was probably in the worst position in World War II as a nation. Absolubtely screwed any and every which way. Poland too.
    I believe Belorussia (in the same vicinity) suffered proportionally the most of all nations in WWII.
    Belarus has the current longest-serving Government-in-Exile.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,250
    JohnLoony said:

Why would anybody even want to go to a foreign country on "holiday" anyway, when lots of the usual places like museums and galleries aren't open because of the pandemic?

On the contrary museums are mostly open, and now is a fantastic time to visit them (if you are happy with the Covid risk) as they are crowd-free.
This discussion has been closed.