Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New polling analysis by Peter Kellner suggests that the Tories

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited July 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New polling analysis by Peter Kellner suggests that the Tories could lose power if an election was held now

The polling expert and former President of YouGov, Peter Kellner, has an article in the latest New European based on his study of the data from the last four weeks of Opinium polls. Unlike most other pollsters this firm has a range of cross tabs that make such an analysis possible. These include vote splits in the seats gained by CON from LAB at GE2019 as well on those seats gained by Johnson’s party over the last decade.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I respect Kellner but take anything paid for by the New European with more salt than I'd put in my cooking.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,115
    My anecdotal experience is that Cummings also played exceptionally badly in these seats. Having run a successful campaign on the basis of forcing arrogant, out of touch elites to listen, he then went and behaved like a member of the arrogant, out-of-touch elite.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    Government trying to grab the narrative on the Russia Report. I'm not sure what it contains, but clearly they are spooked by it (to mix a metaphor). The Julian Lewis shenanigans can surely be seen in that light.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/16/uk-says-russia-sought-to-interfere-in-2019-election-by-leaking-documents-online

PS the bit they are concerned about wont be what's covered by the Guardian article, hence why they are talking about it.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,182
    OGH - surely this cannot be true. I am Assured on this forum that the Tories have an Unassailable position in parliament, in the public and indeed in the Hearts of the red wall voters.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

I respect Kellner but take anything paid for by the New European with more salt than I'd put in my cooking.

It's using poll data from a trusted polling company with additional analysis by someone who knows how to use polling data.

You may not like the paper who commissioned the article (if indeed they did and it wasn't offered to them directly) but that doesn't invalidate the details.

Personally I'm surprised as I don't think the red wall was liable to turn red again just yet.... I suspect the day was going to come but it would be a year or so away after unemployment appeared.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    Talking about what Westminster can and can't do legally misses the point.

Queen Elizabeth took a royal oath to govern according to our laws and customs at her coronation. She even chose to swear an extra special oath for Scotland in 1952 before her coronation because we (the Scots) are so special as she ain't the head of our church.

So these oaths Queenie swore preserve the rights and priviledges of the Scottish Crown as endorsed at the time of Queen Anne. These rights inlcude the principles asserted since the Declaration of Arbroath that the noble and common people of Scotland believe in a single kingdom and possess the freedom to select a king who will protect these rights and priviledges.

So if she and her servant Johnson choose to break these oaths, she can just jog on tout suite.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited July 2020
    It was not just stopping Corbyn, it was also delivering Brexit the Red Wall voted for and Brexit was delivered in January.

However if Starmer came out and said he would keep free movement which he has not said specifically yet then I think that Red Wall swing would decline
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    I think, from a common sense standpoint, this doesn't feel right. For the Tories to be seeing an above average swing against them in the seats they won last time or the decade before, they must be doing better than the swing in traditional, Tory suburban areas and seats. But these will have a higher weighting of pro-Remain, wealthier Conservatives who (1) are more likely to see SKS as a credible alternative and (2) are no longer scared off Labour by the fears of a smash and grab on their wealth. Moreover, his comments don't chime with the Guardian article that interviewed voters in Leigh

Most of the other data seems to suggest that Labour has been building support by picking up low hanging fruit such as former supporters who maybe went to the Lib Dems due to the anti-semitism row. That makes more sense.
  • Options
    Interesting analysis. I would want to know if the responders were different in each of the four aggregated surveys or the same people each time.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    It is a bit weird though if their vote is declining significantly in these seats that they continue to have such healthy shares overall.

Where are these votes coming from? Are they coming from former Tories in the south? If so, then does that make the boundary review important again?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited July 2020
    Cripes, it's shit hitting fan time. Time to set Project Damned Russkies tried to get damned Marxist Corbyn as PM into motion.

https://twitter.com/RossMcCaff/status/1283733981532508160?s=20
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Also from Opinium:

Is Labour ready for government?

"Con gains in Red wall" - Ready 25%, Not ready 60%.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    IF... IF.... IF... IF... IF...
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Pulpstar said:

Also from Opinium:

Is Labour ready for government?

"Con gains in Red wall" - Ready 25%, Not ready 60%.

That 'Ready for Government' figure is definitely one to watch. As it stands today, there's no way on Earth that a 25-60 split against the opposition would propel them to power.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Looking at the latest Opinium (A favourable pollster for Labour recently) it seems the following are true:

i) Starmer is a big positive for Labour
    ii) Johnson is a drag for the Tories.
    iii) Sunak is miles and miles and miles ahead of Dodds, and likely ahead of Starmer too.
    iv) The Tory brand/party is better than Labour still.

If Johnson gets replaced by Sunak before the next election it'll be an absolute walk in the park for the Tories.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    HYUFD said:

It was not just stopping Corbyn, it was also delivering Brexit the Red Wall voted for and Brexit was delivered in January.

Yes. Cue a 2nd airing for my "BBC election" -

B - rexit was the key issue.
    B - oris united the Leave vote.
    C - orbyn spooked Remainers into fracturing.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Never one to be distracted by a squirrel, Laura once again burnishes her reputation for sticking it to the government man.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1283733966709821442?s=20
  • Options
    Tres said:

Queen Elizabeth took a royal oath to govern according to our laws and customs at her coronation. She even chose to swear an extra special oath for Scotland in 1952 before her coronation because we (the Scots) are so special as she ain't the head of our church.

So these oaths Queenie swore preserve the rights and priviledges of the Scottish Crown as endorsed at the time of Queen Anne. These rights inlcude the principles asserted since the Declaration of Arbroath that the noble and common people of Scotland believe in a single kingdom and possess the freedom to select a king who will protect these rights and priviledges.

So if she and her servant Johnson choose to break these oaths, she can just jog on tout suite.

Blimey. Coronation oaths. Now there is a rabbit hole and a half in terms of constitutional law.

If you don’t have a headache and want one, try this article:

https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/ecclesiastical-law-journal/article/coronation-oath/F83079759125218B8D97BA1722954CBC/core-reader
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Never one to be distracted by a squirrel, Laura once again burnishes her reputation for sticking to the government man.

How is it a squirrel? It's the subject of the report!
  • Options
    The key question is: if the Tories are doing worse than the national average swing in the seats they won recently, where are the places they're doing better than average? If those are safe Tory areas, they have a big problem. But if they're the seats that are traditionally Tory where Labour has been making gains due to demographics, then the effect on a Tory majority wouldn't be as great as is implied here.

So it's an interesting analysis but I'm not sure I've seen enough to convince me to drop uniform national swing as the best available guess of the outcome.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,733
    Tres said:

I rather like the Scottish spelling of "privilege". More gutsy than the effete English.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Interesting analysis. I would want to know if the responders were different in each of the four aggregated surveys or the same people each time.

Definitely different, the odds of the same people being in the four surveys would be an infintesimally small chance I think.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    ydoethur said:

It is a bit weird though if their vote is declining significantly in these seats that they continue to have such healthy shares overall.

Where are these votes coming from? Are they coming from former Tories in the south? If so, then does that make the boundary review important again?

And, most pertinently, if these seats have Tory vote losses out of line with the national poll totals, where are the seats where the Tories are doing better to balance overall with their apparent national lead?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    edited July 2020
    RobD said:

Never one to be distracted by a squirrel, Laura once again burnishes her reputation for sticking to the government man.

It's a squirrel because the bigger issue is Brexit.
  • Options

RobD said:

A double squirrel. Interesting. Perhaps Lewis is a team player after all? ;)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    FPT

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:
    Can she claim political asylum when she gets here?
    And if her appeal fails, will she immediately be deported?
    I’m more exercised as to whether she will be arrested under the Terrorism Act if she returns.

Because if she isn’t a British subject (a citizen since the Bliar rewrote the English language) she is unlikely to be a target of its key provisions. But if she is, then she is.

I wonder if whoever is funding her lawyers has thought it through to that end.
    Fuck's sake she is a child.

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:
    I’m more exercised as to whether she will be arrested under the Terrorism Act if she returns.

Because if she isn’t a British subject (a citizen since the Bliar rewrote the English language) she is unlikely to be a target of its key provisions. But if she is, then she is.

A child who has lost three children. Whatever it is she has done or not done, her treatment by the government has been an utter embarrassment. Bring her back, charge her for a crime if there's a case to answer, let her get on with her life if not. Stop wasting taxpayers' money pretending she is a citizen of Bangladesh, a country she has never even been to and which won't give her a passport even if she asked for one, and don't foist her on Syria, a country that surely has enough problems of its own.
    Do we know that Syria would regard it as a foisting? These people committed their terrorist crimes against the Syrian people. It would make some sense to face justice there.
    I believe I read that the Syrians want rid of her, but I am willing to be corrected. In general, I am in favour of the British government defending the rights of its citizens abroad, especially those who have been groomed as children by violent extremists and sexual predators. I am surprised that is a controversial position.
    I quite agree, but I am not sure the rights of its citizens abroad should extend to joining a terrorist organisation and attempting to overthrow the Government of the destination country. Perhaps in the days of Palmerston and 'civis romanus sum (sp?)' but not now.
    I believe the Syrian view is that her role is too minor for them to bother with. If the government hadn't been so intent on wasting our money on this she could have been back home by now, hopefully deradicalised and rebuilding her life. Her experience has been so awful I would have thought she could have made an excellent counter-extremism resource (ie don't do what I did) if the government hadn't been so thick about it. Telling all Bangladeshi heritage young Britons that they're not really British citizens, on the other hand, seems like the wrong way to go about it.
    Is 'hopefully deradicalised' an appropriate badge welcome people back to our streets? Do our bomb disposal teams give a clean bill of health to 'hopefully diffused' dangerous devices?

As for your second point, I don't think that is the message, the message would be 'go and fight for an ISIS caliphate and you won't be a British citizen' - you may see that as a negative message, but I am not sure how many would agree.

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Tres said:

I rather like the Scottish spelling of "privilege". More gutsy than the effete English.
    Not infrequently, those who most like to blather on about 'privilege' are the least able to spell it...
  • Options

RobD said:

+1 as with every news story at the moment the question anyone sane is asking is what actual news is this announcement trying to hide..
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    ydoethur said:

Swings from LD to Labour mostly in Opinium polls relative to GE. Con 44% to 42%; Lab 32% to 38%; LD 12% to 6%. Which doesn't quite fit Kellner's analysis. But maybe Labour's vote in the North would be particularly efficient. FPTP has these quirks.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    According to CNN 1 million people in the UK have quit smoking during the pandemic.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

The key question is: if the Tories are doing worse than the national average swing in the seats they won recently, where are the places they're doing better than average? If those are safe Tory areas, they have a big problem. But if they're the seats that are traditionally Tory where Labour has been making gains due to demographics, then the effect on a Tory majority wouldn't be as great as is implied here.

So it's an interesting analysis but I'm not sure I've seen enough to convince me to drop uniform national swing as the best available guess of the outcome.

The latest Yougov has the Tories up 57% to 27% in the South and ahead 51% to 36% in the Midlands and Wales.

Labour is ahead 53% to 29% in London and 49% to 44% in the North
    https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/ai16ajr8zo/TheTimes_VI_200709_V2_W.pdf
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

You're missing the point. Before the election, the government declined to publish the report into Russian interference in UK politics, and particularly the referendum, so it's a bit rich for them to now try to distract from it by saying Russia interfered in that very election.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

You're missing the point. Before the election, the government declined to publish the report into Russian interference in UK politics, and particularly the referendum, so it's a bit rich for them to now try to distract from it by saying Russia interfered in that very election.
    They are trying to distract from the report about Russian interference in elections by talking about Russian interference in elections?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

Never one to be distracted by a squirrel, Laura once again burnishes her reputation for sticking it to the government man.

Is this one of those times when the lefties and the righties come together to say look how biased the BBC is?
  • Options
    RobD said:

The (entirely ineffectual) leak of a Reddit file is the only subject of the intelligence report? I think the current government are shameless rsoles but I think even they'd baulk at that.

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1283734264564023296?s=20
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,385

Tres said:

Priviledges can be precarious things to stand on....
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    IanB2 said:

According to CNN 1 million people in the UK have quit smoking during the pandemic.

No wonder the treasury is worried!
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,543
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

And, most pertinently, if these seats have Tory vote losses out of line with the national poll totals, where are the seats where the Tories are doing better to balance overall with their apparent national lead?
    If they are not gaining in the Purple Wall seats, then they could either be building votes in safe Labour seats or safe Tory ones, or possibly in other marginals. I expect it would be in the safe Tory ones, the @Big_G_NorthWales of this world, where loyalty defeats disquiet.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,246
    NHS England Hospital numbers out

Headline - 19 - lowest weekday since March
    Seven days - 17
    Yesterday - 3

As ever, the last 3-5 days are subject to revision. Last 5 days are included for completeness.

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

They are trying to distract from the report about Russian interference in elections by talking about Russian interference in elections?
    It's called muddying the waters.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Is this one of those times when the lefties and the righties come together to say look how biased the BBC is?
    I'm only talking about Laura, I wasn't aware that she was the living, breathing embodiment of the BBC.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,578
    FPT:
    Scott_xP said:
    The Chair of the Intelligence and Security Committee has been briefed on the details of this incident.

That must have been fun - assuming they briefed the right one.....
  • Options

RobD said:

I think the government is definitely worried* by the contents of the Russia report. They are therefore getting relatively harmless to them info out ahead of potentially more damaging allegations release by the Select Committee.

* I don't know whether they should be worried, but they clearly are.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,182
    Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

If they are not gaining in the Purple Wall seats, then they could either be building votes in safe Labour seats or safe Tory ones, or possibly in other marginals. I expect it would be in the safe Tory ones, the @Big_G_NorthWales of this world, where loyalty defeats disquiet.
    Yes. The problem with national vote tallies is that it isn't the same as seats. Piling votes up in safe seats makes for a lift in the national total but nothing for the goal of winning as many seats as possible.
  • Options

FPT

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

A child who has lost three children. Whatever it is she has done or not done, her treatment by the government has been an utter embarrassment. Bring her back, charge her for a crime if there's a case to answer, let her get on with her life if not. Stop wasting taxpayers' money pretending she is a citizen of Bangladesh, a country she has never even been to and which won't give her a passport even if she asked for one, and don't foist her on Syria, a country that surely has enough problems of its own.
    Do we know that Syria would regard it as a foisting? These people committed their terrorist crimes against the Syrian people. It would make some sense to face justice there.
    I believe I read that the Syrians want rid of her, but I am willing to be corrected. In general, I am in favour of the British government defending the rights of its citizens abroad, especially those who have been groomed as children by violent extremists and sexual predators. I am surprised that is a controversial position.
    I quite agree, but I am not sure the rights of its citizens abroad should extend to joining a terrorist organisation and attempting to overthrow the Government of the destination country. Perhaps in the days of Palmerston and 'civis romanus sum (sp?)' but not now.
    I believe the Syrian view is that her role is too minor for them to bother with. If the government hadn't been so intent on wasting our money on this she could have been back home by now, hopefully deradicalised and rebuilding her life. Her experience has been so awful I would have thought she could have made an excellent counter-extremism resource (ie don't do what I did) if the government hadn't been so thick about it. Telling all Bangladeshi heritage young Britons that they're not really British citizens, on the other hand, seems like the wrong way to go about it.
    Is 'hopefully deradicalised' an appropriate badge welcome people back to our streets? Do our bomb disposal teams give a clean bill of health to 'hopefully diffused' dangerous devices?

As for your second point, I don't think that is the message, the message would be 'go and fight for an ISIS caliphate and you won't be a British citizen' - you may see that as a negative message, but I am not sure how many would agree.

She was a child. If you reframe everything you say in that context then it turns out that your post was a load of bollocks.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I'm only talking about Laura, I wasn't aware that she was the living, breathing embodiment of the BBC.
    Ah good point "Political Editor of the BBC" I agree has scant connection to "The BBC"
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    Scott_xP said:
    This is quite scary now. And it is everywhere.

eg I am sure China and Russia have hijacked the BLM cause, on both sides, via social media, to sow racial discord in the US (and elsewhere). It's an obvious move, exploiting the weakness of an enemy - in this case America's poisonous racial divide, and legacy of liberal guilt.

Highly effective.

You can actually see it happening in real time. Recently created accounts (with names like Wotsit79203859) randomly appear and stoke-up arguments on Twitter, making them go viral.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    You mean Dom Cummings might be a "Russian actor"?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

She was a child. If you reframe everything you say in that context then it turns out that your post was a load of bollocks.
    She was a child, yet we are happy to arrest a 12 year old for racist tweets?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Ah good point "Political Editor of the BBC" I agree has scant connection to "The BBC"
    On that basis I'll take it Boris Johnson, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Leader of the Conservative Party, represents every Conservative in the UK.

I can't remember, did you end up voting for someone else in the GE or did you come to some grubby personal accommodation?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Scott_xP said:

eg I am sure China and Russia have hijacked the BLM cause, on both sides, via social media, to sow racial discord in the US (and elsewhere). It's an obvious move, exploiting the weakness of an enemy - in this case America's poisonous racial divide, and legacy of liberal guilt.

Highly effective.

You can actually see it happening in real time. Recently created accounts (with names like Wotsit79203859) randomly appear and stoke-up arguments on Twitter, making them go viral.
    Yes, so best not to stoke up Culture wars that are really only the obsession of a few extremists on either side.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,314
    TOPPING said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

If my post was 'she deserves to face justice, preferably the noose', then yes, the fact that her actions happened when she was 15 would be pertinent. But my point was about the safety of the public. Unless someone radicalised when young is less of an ongoing threat than someone radicalised when an adult, her age has no bearing at all.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Scott_xP said:

Highly effective.

Yes, so best not to stoke up Culture wars that are really only the obsession of a few extremists on either side.
    Bit late now.

Interesting mention of this exact technique in that Standard article:

"But when they [leaks online of trade talks] did not gain traction, Russian “actors” are then said to have sought to push them on Twitter posts, blogs, and single-use burner accounts on social media."
  • Options
    I always knew England should have stuck with Denly *innocent face*
  • Options
    looking at the recorded adverse effects in the Moderna trial, they seem to be a dose response fever. That may be uncomfortable, but perhaps is evidence of activity, by getting a brisker reaction.

The phase 3 studies are what we need, as well as aftermarket surveillance, which is the way rarer side effects get picked up.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

On that basis I'll take it Boris Johnson, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Leader of the Conservative Party, represents every Conservative in the UK.

I can't remember, did you end up voting for someone else in the GE or did you come to some grubby personal accommodation?
    You are trying, not so subtly, to shift the terms of the discussion.

Boris Johnson represents the Conservative Party.

In the same terms it is no stretch to say that Laura Kuenssberg represents the BBC (or does she append a "these views do not represent..." line in her tweets?)

And as for who I voted for, I voted happily for the Conservatives, given the choice I was presented with.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

Slight non-sequitur all over the place pile of bollocks post.
  • Options
    It occurs to me that I might actually be a Russian bot myself.

We are an algorithm!

A curious insight.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    Tres said:

I wish this argument the best of luck.

• Options
    edited July 2020

TOPPING said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

If my post was 'she deserves to face justice, preferably the noose', then yes, the fact that her actions happened when she was 15 would be pertinent. But my point was about the safety of the public. Unless someone radicalised when young is less of an ongoing threat than someone radicalised when an adult, her age has no bearing at all.
    So every unrepentant prisoner should be banged up beyond their allotted term?

And the answer to your concern was provided by @OnlyLivingBoy who said she should and perhaps would have been sent on a deradicalisation programme so she could stop doing all those nasty things.
  • Options
    Maybe all of the world is now just a simulation, inside a computer in a lab in Novosibirsk.

A computer which itself does not exist, outside the mind of a Chinese teenager.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    ydoethur said:

I always knew England should have stuck with Denly *innocent face*

It's surprising that the England team has no room for a player from the champion county.
    Time for Lawrence.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    TOPPING said:

She doesn't seem to have changed her mind as an adult.

"Was there a point when you started to have second thoughts about your life under Islamic State? Only at the end, after my son died. I realised I had to get out for the sake of my children - for the sake of my daughter and my baby. Yeah.

Only at the end? Yeah.

You didn't have any regrets up until that point? No.

What was it about Islamic State that attracted you? What did you like about it? The way they showed that you can go [to Syria] and they'll take care of you. You can have your own family, do anything. You're living under Islamic law.

Did you know what Islamic State were doing when you left for Syria? Because they had beheaded people. There were executions. Yeah, I knew about those things and I was okay with it. Because, you know, I started becoming religious just before I left. From what I heard, Islamically that is all allowed. So I was okay with it.

You didn't question that? No, not at all."

"The head of the intelligence services in the UK says people like you are potentially very dangerous. What would you say to him? They don't have any evidence against me doing anything dangerous."

"Do you feel that you have made a mistake? When you look back at what you've been through over the last four years, do you feel like you've made a mistake? A mistake in going to al-Dawla?

Yes, a mistake in coming here, living under Islamic State. In a way, yes, but I don't regret it because it's changed me as a person. It's made me stronger, tougher. I married my husband. I wouldn't have found someone like him back in the UK. I had my kids. I did have a good time there, it's just that at the end things got harder and I couldn't take it anymore. I had to leave."

• Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    Are they still proposing to reduce the number of MPs when the boundary changes come in?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

But true, nonetheless. If a 12 year old can be held criminally responsible for social media posts, a 15 year old can be held responsible for actually aiding and abetting terrorism.

To my mind, she should have been tried by the Syrians, in Syria, as that's where she did her *alleged* crimes, and it is the Syrians who suffered, not us.
  • Options
    Interesting thread on the Leicester situation:

https://twitter.com/CovidLeics/status/1283465193029357568?s=09

Cases very much focused in certain neighbourhoods and quite low positivity rates.

• Options

TOPPING said:

"Was there a point when you started to have second thoughts about your life under Islamic State? Only at the end, after my son died. I realised I had to get out for the sake of my children - for the sake of my daughter and my baby. Yeah.

Only at the end? Yeah.

What was it about Islamic State that attracted you? What did you like about it? The way they showed that you can go [to Syria] and they'll take care of you. You can have your own family, do anything. You're living under Islamic law.

Did you know what Islamic State were doing when you left for Syria? Because they had beheaded people. There were executions. Yeah, I knew about those things and I was okay with it. Because, you know, I started becoming religious just before I left. From what I heard, Islamically that is all allowed. So I was okay with it.

"The head of the intelligence services in the UK says people like you are potentially very dangerous. What would you say to him? They don't have any evidence against me doing anything dangerous."

"Do you feel that you have made a mistake? When you look back at what you've been through over the last four years, do you feel like you've made a mistake? A mistake in going to al-Dawla?

Yes, a mistake in coming here, living under Islamic State. In a way, yes, but I don't regret it because it's changed me as a person. It's made me stronger, tougher. I married my husband. I wouldn't have found someone like him back in the UK. I had my kids. I did have a good time there, it's just that at the end things got harder and I couldn't take it anymore. I had to leave."

She really is quite poisonous, isn't she?

If she is released or acquitted on the grounds of being a sweet, innocent little thing, so cruelly groomed against her will, the government will never hear the last of it.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,072

IF... IF.... IF... IF... IF...

Oh no! Mike has panicked the fanboys.

Don't worry, no need to panic until 2024, when it might be brutal, after post Covid economic armageddon.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

My viewpoint is that she was born in the UK and radicalised in the UK so it's our own screw up that we need to take responsibility for and fix..

Trying to throw the problem at Bangladesh was neither fair or moral..
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Only at the end? Yeah.

Please for god's sake keep this to yourself, but a deradicalisation programme is designed for people who have been radicalised.

See how that works? The child was radicalised, and, from your post, may remain radicalised, and hence everything she says is all part of the deal of radicalisation. As a child. And she was, as I understand it, rendered stateless by the Home Secretary which is the basis of the challenge.

Is it any clearer now? Please don't hesitate to ask if so. You know the only stupid question is an unasked one.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

But true, nonetheless. If a 12 year old can be held criminally responsible for social media posts, a 15 year old can be held responsible for actually aiding and abetting terrorism.

To my mind, she should have been tried by the Syrians, in Syria, as that's where she did her *alleged* crimes, and it is the Syrians who suffered, not us.
    She has been given leave to appeal against the decision to revoke her citizenship. If it is restored then no doubt the appropriate sanction given she was a child when she committed the offences can be applied.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

In the same terms it is no stretch to say that Laura Kuenssberg represents the BBC (or does she append a "these views do not represent..." line in her tweets?)

And as for who I voted for, I voted happily for the Conservatives, given the choice I was presented with.
    Okeydokes, in Topping world individuals should not be criticised for fear of it being interpreted as criticism of the institutions to which they belong.

In not particularly nuanced Divvie world, I'm happy to distinguish between criticism of BJ, criticism of the government of all the pricks which he heads, the Conservative party and Conservatives in general. Mental, eh?!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

LadyG said:

Scott_xP said:

Highly effective.

BLM and Bernie Sanders were pushed by Russian bots on Facebook etc for the last US election. Seemed to be an attempt to tar Hillary/Democrats with "extremist" views to incite Trumpian voters , IIRC.
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Only at the end? Yeah.

Please for god's sake keep this to yourself, but a deradicalisation programme is designed for people who have been radicalised.
    Indeed it is - like Usman Khan.

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Pulpstar said:

Looking at the latest Opinium (A favourable pollster for Labour recently) it seems the following are true:

iii) Sunak is miles and miles and miles ahead of Dodds, and likely ahead of Starmer too.

If Johnson gets replaced by Sunak before the next election it'll be an absolute walk in the park for the Tories.

There will be a significant number of natural tories who won’t be able to vote for an Asian with a funny name. In any multi member ward in local elections For leafy urban suburbs or country Seats the perceived ethnic minority often takes last place in votes for the Tory slate, as happens with similar candidates of other parties.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,385
    Another transatlantic row whose turbulence might be damaging to us...

EU court ruling strikes blow to transatlantic data flows
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/07/16/eu-court-us-surveillance-data-privacy-365796
    ...Europe's top court handed down a searing verdict on U.S. surveillance powers on Thursday, ruling for the second time that EU data would not be safe from snooping under a transatlantic data protection deal.

The ruling, which cancels the Privacy Shield agreement, throws billions of dollars in digital trade into legal limbo and reignites a spat over surveillance that dates back more than five years to U.S. whistleblower Edward Snowden's revelations about American spying....

We will probably have to jump one way or the other ?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Only at the end? Yeah.

See how that works? The child was radicalised, and, from your post, may remain radicalised, and hence everything she says is all part of the deal of radicalisation. As a child. And she was, as I understand it, rendered stateless by the Home Secretary which is the basis of the challenge.

Is it any clearer now? Please don't hesitate to ask if so. You know the only stupid question is an unasked one.
    Hitler likely became a monster because of his brutal father, who beat him mercilessly. Hitler was a child at the time, and had no choice in the matter.

Yet we still held, and would hold, Hitler responsible for the crimes he committed as an adult.

Why is Begum different? We are all formed by positive or negative influences in childhood.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Okeydokes, in Topping world individuals should not be criticised for fear of it being interpreted as criticism of the institutions to which they belong.

In not particularly nuanced Divvie world, I'm happy to distinguish between criticism of BJ, criticism of the government of all the pricks which he heads, the Conservative party and Conservatives in general. Mental, eh?!
    "Mental, eh?!"

Er, no, not "mental".

Laura represents the BBC as Boris represents the Conservative Party. I'm happy to go with that. There's probably a porter at the BBC who disagrees with Laura and there's me who disagrees with a lot of what Boris says. But I have no problem with you putting me in the basket of Conservatives that Boris represents.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Interesting thread on the Leicester situation:

https://twitter.com/CovidLeics/status/1283465193029357568?s=09

Cases very much focused in certain neighbourhoods and quite low positivity rates.

Very good information - good catch

Looks like the authorities went in heavy, and quite early in the spike. The map seems to explain the wide area of the lockdown.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

She has been given leave to appeal against the decision to revoke her citizenship. If it is restored then no doubt the appropriate sanction given she was a child when she committed the offences can be applied.
    Yes, and quite right too. Even unpleasant people must get the protection of the law. I will, however, be unhappy if she is given a slap on the wrist and three weeks deradicalisation holiday in Weston super Mare.

On a practical note, I wonder if she could ever lead a "normal" life in Britain, anyway. She is notorious and reviled. Her face is widely known. She'd basically have to change her identity and live in hiding. Miserable.

She;d be better off making a life in a Muslim country, if she could find one to take her in.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Only at the end? Yeah.

Yes good point. What shall we do, though? Prison no key? Kill them?

What's your plan?

Are we really having this discussion again? The only thing we can do to combat Islamic extremism is to illustrate that our way of life, our morals, our philosophy is one which is superior to theirs.

Very frustrating for people who just want to blast away, literally, at the problem, but that ain't how this problem is going to be solved.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Not if you look at the Redfield breakdown, with them Tory voters prefer Boris to Starmer by more than they prefer Sunak to Starmer.

More Labour voters prefer Boris to Starmer than prefer Sunak to Starmer, only LD voters prefer Sunak to Starmer by more than they prefer Boris to Starmer
    https://redfieldandwiltonstrategies.com/latest-uk-voting-intention-8-july/
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    So, Scottish sub-samples are ok now?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

It maybe of interest to note that because of her... confused national status... the anti-ISIS groups have deliberately left her alone.

Many others of a similar background got drum-head court martials.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Only at the end? Yeah.

Hitler likely became a monster because of his brutal father, who beat him mercilessly. Hitler was a child at the time, and had no choice in the matter.

Yet we still held, and would hold, Hitler responsible for the crimes he committed as an adult.

Why is Begum different? We are all formed by positive or negative influences in childhood.
    Well aside from the fact that we are not sure what crimes she committed (I have no doubt some will be found) when she was a child (< 18, according to the UN), there is no reason not to hold her to account.

She has been granted leave to appeal against the decision to strip her of her citizenship, which, I'm sure it will be argued, leaves her stateless.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Only at the end? Yeah.

Yes good point. What shall we do, though? Prison no key? Kill them?

What's your plan?

Are we really having this discussion again? The only thing we can do to combat Islamic extremism is to illustrate that our way of life, our morals, our philosophy is one which is superior to theirs.

Very frustrating for people who just want to blast away, literally, at the problem, but that ain't how this problem is going to be solved.
    All true. I would try her for war crimes - she was involved in the enslavement of Yazidi women, for example.

I have been told human rights enthusiasts, that that is "not ethical". Not sure why?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

FPT

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Scott_xP said:

It maybe of interest to note that because of her... confused national status... the anti-ISIS groups have deliberately left her alone.

Many others of a similar background got drum-head court martials.
    Yes. The Iraqis briskly execute ISIS brides. She is lucky she ended up on the Syrian side of the border

https://www.institutkurde.org/info/a-10-minute-trial-a-death-sentence-iraqi-justice-for-isis-suspects-1232551366
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,072

So, Scottish sub-samples are ok now?

Dangerous territory!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Only at the end? Yeah.

Well aside from the fact that we are not sure what crimes she committed (I have no doubt some will be found) when she was a child (< 18, according to the UN), there is no reason not to hold her to account.

She has been granted leave to appeal against the decision to strip her of her citizenship, which, I'm sure it will be argued, leaves her stateless.
    Not sure what crimes she committed? She is an open and avowed supporter of an illegal terrorist organisation, and she has admitted sewing suicide vests for ISIS killers.

This is not seriously disputed.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Only at the end? Yeah.

Think of all the trouble that might have been avoided if AH had been 'deradicalised' by being accepted by the Akademie der bildenden Künste Wien, hooking up with a nice Jewish lass and being shown a bit of kindness.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    HYUFD said:
    33% to rejoin? Looks like we're going to be out for a long time to come.
  • Options

LadyG said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Only at the end? Yeah.

Think of all the trouble that might have been avoided if AH had been 'deradicalised' by being accepted by the Akademie der bildenden Künste Wien, hooking up with a nice Jewish lass and being shown a bit of kindness.
    That is probably and actually true. Hitler was a mad incel with a thwarted and very modest artistic talent. A nice bunk up and a few paintings sold..... World War 2 avoided.
This discussion has been closed.