Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Undefined discussion subject.

124»

Comments

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The silent majority are patriotic and want our culture and heritage respected.

Equal opportunities does not mean ignoring our history

So why is so little of it taught, in the gap between the Tudors and the Twentieth Century ?

The history of the slave trade and empire is pretty well ignored.
    I thought the period was glorified not ignored, which is it?

I think our teaching of history has some pretty glaring omissions - I was not once taught at school about the civil wars of the 1640s and 1650s for instance - and I suspect the silent majority are not overly proud or overly condemnatory, they are overly apathetic.

We dont know enough about history in general, which is why we get overly defensive or overly emotional in a negative sense by viewing too much of it through the prism of present politics, shorn of any national or global context.
    "History" in school seemed to be about spying some odd argument that the examiner was looking for rather than anything much to do with history itself at school.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,739
    kle4 said:

It takes two sides to fight a culture war, he cannot wage it alone.

This was Southam's point in an earlier thread, but I think generating a war nobody wanted and entrenching positions nobody previously held is the ONLY think BoZo and Cummings are any good at
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,098
    NEW THREAD
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,082
    tlg86 said:

I see Munira Mirza is another "not the right type of BAME person".

The RCP/LM entryism into the Conservative Party and Brexit Party is quite a remarkable phenomenon. One of the many strands of Koch brothers funding.

https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1272624965569916928?s=09
  • theakestheakes Posts: 839
    If only the Presidential election was NOW. Will be a differenet story in 5 months.
    Saw a poll taken in Missouri last week, Trump leading 49 - 41! I reckon he will hold nearly all the state he won in 2016, and get back. Biden will have huge majorities where it does not matter, New York, California, New Jersey etc and lose despite a national poll lead of maybe 3 -4 %
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

The silent majority are patriotic and want our culture and heritage respected.

Equal opportunities does not mean ignoring our history

So why is so little of it taught, in the gap between the Tudors and the Twentieth Century ?

The history of the slave trade and empire is pretty well ignored.
    It is certainly taught between 7 and 14 well all pupils must study the full historical spectrum
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,719
    theakes said:

If only the Presidential election was NOW. Will be a differenet story in 5 months.
    Saw a poll taken in Missouri last week, Trump leading 49 - 41! I reckon he will hold nearly all the state he won in 2016, and get back. Biden will have huge majorities where it does not matter, New York, California, New Jersey etc and lose despite a national poll lead of maybe 3 -4 %

Actually the polling shows Biden doing much better in the Midwest and South than Hillary but little better at all in the North East and West
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2020
    Really nice visualization of progress of covid in US.

https://twitter.com/aventura71/status/1272567972113059842?s=19
  • MangoMango Posts: 1,013

tlg86 said:

I see Munira Mirza is another "not the right type of BAME person".

I see Munira Mirza is another right type of revolutionary communist.
    Yeah, but she was only a revolutionary communist when they were doing cool things, like supporting genocide in Bosnia. And of course she was part of that process at LM.

Then when they were stopped by real journalists doing real journalism, she was involved at the successor, Spiked. They're less fanatical about revolutionary communism these days of course, and more fanatical about taking money from the billionaire far right in the USA to push the cause of the moment (climate change denial principally, but plenty of others, with a little less overt genocide).

A career of fabrication on behalf of murderously wrong causes.

And a aide to the Tory prime minister.

Let that sink in.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    theakes said:

You do realise Trump won Missouri by 18.5% over Clinton right. So a poll showing a 5% swing to Biden there isn't particularly good for Trump ?
    New Jersey was a closer result than Missouri.
This discussion has been closed.