Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146

I watched Drakeford at lunchtime.

Normally someone I have no time for. The pandemic has made him appear less of a clown. In fairness he is now coming over as more forthright and self assured than for example Raab earlier and Johnson generally.

More or less on topic i.e Johnson's general performance.

My big takeaway from the press conference was that Drakeford stated he has not spoken with the PM for three weeks this Thursday or any other cabinet member bar the Secretary of State for Wales. He is apparently in regular contact with counterparts in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

This has been apparent for years now: Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast cooperate. London sulks.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Confirming my opinion that Sturgeon and Drakesford are terrified of coming out of their stay at home mantra and creating untold future health and economic damage to Scotland and Wales
    Off topic.

By this time next year we will see whether Johnson's throw of the dice or Welsh and Sottish caution was the way to go. I don't know which way it will go. If Wales and Scotland mitigate a second wave and England doesn't you may be eating your words.
    I have no doubt the pressure building up on Sturgeon and Drakesford, even from within their own countries, will result in them following England and Northern Ireland very quickly

They just cannot get away with destroying their lucrative holiday and leisure industries while those in England and Northern Ireland take their business and flourish

It is just idiotic
    I shall be very annoyed indeed with Drakeford if he keeps a lockdown so hard that I cannot visit Wales this summer for the first time in 24 years.
    It is in place until september at present

He is heading for open rebellion, especially in the north, as have far more in common with Liverpool, Manchester and Chester than Cardiff.

He is and always has been a disaster for Wales
    His poll ratings though have improved.
    He is a disaster and you are not affected by him and his failures, not least the disaster of our local hospital that has had serious issues for members of our family and many others
    I have never supported Devolution and would happily see the Assembly disappear. To what extent are the problems due to him personally or his Administration? How different would it be , were the Welsh Office still in direct control?
    Presumably they would reflect directly the same level of quality as the Johnson government.
    It would be a 100% improvement
    Are you sure, given the differential covid-19 mortality figures?
    Care homes have been a disaster
    They have been everywhere, with some variance. And yet if we look at totals, [edit] not just care homes, the Welsh mortality per head is 461/million, comparable to Scotland's 448 and markedly less than England's 666, [edit] and I'm assuming that the latter reporting is finally comparable in terms of totals, which it wasn't for some weeks.

Your view that Scotland and Wales are too slow to unlock is one interpretation. But with R still so hign in England, it's at least as reasonable to take the view that England is being too fast. I actually hope not, out of sheer humanity - but we will see.
    There has of course been much comment on higher deaths rates among certain non-whites sections of the public. Not an irrelevant consideration.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,531
    A petition started by the Conservative Party supporting Sun Journalist Tony Parsons is quite obviously a set up.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251

Normally someone I have no time for. The pandemic has made him appear less of a clown. In fairness he is now coming over as more forthright and self assured than for example Raab earlier and Johnson generally.

My big takeaway from the press conference was that Drakeford stated he has not spoken with the PM for three weeks this Thursday or any other cabinet member bar the Secretary of State for Wales. He is apparently in regular contact with counterparts in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

This has been apparent for years now: Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast cooperate. London sulks.
    London and Belfast are on the same page

And Drakeford has a standing invitation to attend all Cobra meetings.

It is he who stayed away
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    Someone should tell Morgan they are not boycotting GMB, they are boycotting him personally because he is such an insufferable twat that no one can stand to be in the same room with him.

(For the record the Government should not be boycotting news channels. But Morgan really is a twat)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Foxy said:

A petition started by the Conservative Party supporting Sun Journalist Tony Parsons is quite obviously a set up.
    It's weaksauce, of course. But I would think the point is made about being wary of throwing stones, even if that may not be the intent of people who just try to lob their own stones.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Forget shooting the messanger

Are you saying the story is false about the Guardian and its history
  • Options
    I keep thinking someone is going to jump up and say BAZINGA!!!.

But no one does. This is as juvenile as attacking the Mail because it was sympathetic to the Nazis in the 1930s. In both cases today's papers, whatever their modern failings, cannot and should not be held responsible for the actions and views of people all of whom are long dead.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,213
    kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Confirming my opinion that Sturgeon and Drakesford are terrified of coming out of their stay at home mantra and creating untold future health and economic damage to Scotland and Wales
    Off topic.

By this time next year we will see whether Johnson's throw of the dice or Welsh and Sottish caution was the way to go. I don't know which way it will go. If Wales and Scotland mitigate a second wave and England doesn't you may be eating your words.
    I have no doubt the pressure building up on Sturgeon and Drakesford, even from within their own countries, will result in them following England and Northern Ireland very quickly

They just cannot get away with destroying their lucrative holiday and leisure industries while those in England and Northern Ireland take their business and flourish

It is just idiotic
    I shall be very annoyed indeed with Drakeford if he keeps a lockdown so hard that I cannot visit Wales this summer for the first time in 24 years.

He is heading for open rebellion, especially in the north, as have far more in common with Liverpool, Manchester and Chester than Cardiff.

He is a disaster and you are not affected by him and his failures, not least the disaster of our local hospital that has had serious issues for members of our family and many others
    I have never supported Devolution and would happily see the Assembly disappear. To what extent are the problems due to him personally or his Administration? How different would it be , were the Welsh Office still in direct control?
    Presumably they would reflect directly the same level of quality as the Johnson government.
    It would be a 100% improvement
    What's Welsh for 'You too can be part of our world beating effort to be top of the European Covid-19 league'?
    "Gallwch chi hefyd fod yn rhan o'n hymdrech guro fyd-eang i fod ar frig cynghrair Covid-19 Ewrop." According to Google.

But there is a serious point. How can you have a minority party control a country while relying on a majority of seats in another country? You don't need to listen to the local MPs any more. You can even experiment on the locals, as we remember all too well from the Poll Tax in Scotland.
    The Yoons have very short memories, or else they'd mind that it was precisely this inequity that led to devolution as Tony Blair enacted it.

Still, thanks lads, you and Maggie Thatcher have ensured (so far) 13 years of SNP government.
    Given that the SNP gave us Thatcher, your thanks seem misplaced.
    I am frequently amazed at the strength of feeling some have toward the SNP over the whole 'gave us Thatcher' business.
    I thought it was Frank Maguire?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Foxy said:

There seems to be a determined effort to keep this story going.
    But who's interested? A shrivelled rump of the Corbynites and the usual band of pissed up "patriots".
    The rest of us have just about lived through a pandemic and are facing economic turmoil.
    I don't have the spoons for a Culture War ta.
  • Options

But no one does. This is as juvenile as attacking the Mail because it was sympathetic to the Nazis in the 1930s. In both cases today's papers, whatever their modern failings, cannot and should not be held responsible for the actions and views of people all of whom are long dead.
    Is this statement correct in the Sun's article

'Originally called the Manchester Guardian the paper was founded in 1821 by John Edward Taylor using profits from a cotton plantation that used slaves'
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    kle4 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Off topic.

It is just idiotic

Labour have been in power in Wales for far too long and to be honest CarwynJones was quite likeable, but Mark Drakeford is a Corbynista and oversees terrible failures in the Wales NHS and education.

Devolution is not working in North Wales
    Are the electorate voting in the wrong kind of politicians?
    It's traditional.

It does strike me, and I think most of the public already know it, that even the most atypical of politicians become part of the system eventually, despite their own best efforts perhaps. Even revolutionaries adopt the trappings and stylings at the end. I was reading an old university essay collection on the civil wars, and how the various parliaments of the 1650s, even the brief second chamber of 1657, pretty much immediately acted like any other parliaments ever had, regardless of who the members were or what direction they had. Such endurance.
    Not a lot of point in democracy then? ;)
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

There seems to be a determined effort to keep this story going.
    But who's interested? A shrivelled rump of the Corbynites and the usual band of pissed up "patriots".
    The rest of us have just about lived through a pandemic and are facing economic turmoil.
    I don't have the spoons for a Culture War ta.
    To be honest I absolutely share your view because the story in the Sun puts the Guardian in the narrative and just how far and how many stories are we going to endure when the pandemic and the economy should be the only story
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

But one paper argues that being held responsible for the crimes of one's antecedents is a moral imperative... so why not grant their wish? :wink:
  • Options

Foxy said:

No, Manchester was a cotton town, built on the slave based cotton trade. That much is true of the genesis of much of early British industry. No one is denying history.

Where the difference lies is how people and institutions have travelled and how they regard that history now The Guardian is well known for opposing racism, while the Merchant Venturers erected a statue to celebrate a slaver.

We have all got a number of shameful aspects to our pasts, but have we repented and turned away from them?

• Options
    Foxy said:

U.S. minister to Britain Charles Francis Adams proved particularly adept and convinced Britain not to boldly challenge the blockade. The Confederacy purchased several warships from commercial shipbuilders in Britain (CSS Alabama, CSS Shenandoah, CSS Tennessee, CSS Tallahassee, CSS Florida, and some others). The most famous, the CSS Alabama, did considerable damage and led to serious postwar disputes. However, public opinion against slavery created a political liability for politicians in Britain, where the antislavery movement was powerful.[1]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Civil_War#Diplomacy
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

No, Manchester was a cotton town, built on the slave based cotton trade. That much is true of the genesis of much of early British industry. No one is denying history.

Where the difference lies is how people and institutions have travelled and how they regard that history now The Guardian is well known for opposing racism, while the Merchant Venturers erected a statue to celebrate a slaver.

We have all got a number of shameful aspects to our pasts, but have we repented and turned away from them?

But the point is the Guardian was founded on the profits of slaves, and the whole issue is just getting out of hand when we have a pandemic and economy to deal with
  • Options
    Another day on the road to recovery hopefully

Good night folks
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,321
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

When you go back far enough even the shameful becomes colourful - who wouldn't like to be descended from Blackbeard the Pirate or Lucrezia Borgia? One of my ancestors was a bloodthirsty Borders baron called Black Douglas, because of an unfortunate incident when a feuding neighbour sent an equerry who never returned. The neighbour sent another to ask where he was, to which Douglas replied

"You can have him, certainly, he doth but lack his head".

The family retailed the story with a certain ghoulish relish, though none of them would have dreamed of justifying it. (Or erecting a statue to him.)
  • Options

Is this statement correct in the Sun's article

'Originally called the Manchester Guardian the paper was founded in 1821 by John Edward Taylor using profits from a cotton plantation that used slaves'
    CSS Alabama was a screw sloop-of-war built in 1862 for the Confederate States Navy at Birkenhead on the River Mersey opposite Liverpool, England by John Laird Sons and Company.[3] Alabama served as a successful commerce raider, attacking Union merchant and naval ships over the course of her two-year career, during which she never docked at a Southern port. She was sunk in June 1864 by USS Kearsarge at the Battle of Cherbourg outside the port of Cherbourg, France.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSS_Alabama
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

But the point is the Guardian was founded on the profits of slaves, and the whole issue is just getting out of hand when we have a pandemic and economy to deal with
    There is virtually no part of Britain that did not have some peripheral part in the slave trade or empire.

Decolonisation our history is not about erasing that history, it is about coming to terms with it, and recognising our dark side.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    CatMan said:

I think The Guardian can survive this as long as they sack everybody who worked on the paper in 1860
    Michael White gone then.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

Drakeford wasnt someone I had originally warmed to, but I think most reasonable people would say he has had a decent 'pandemic', for all the reasons above. Thank god I'm not English having to put up with Boris Johnson.
  • Options
    People are creatures of habit aching for a bit of normality. Some desperately wanted a McDonald's, some to traipse round IKEA, some to Primark. @Anabobazina to the Pub.
    Likewise Corbynites wanted to protest something, anything. If it weren't this it would have been summat else.
    Equally, the Yaxley Lennon fans want to get pissed and have a ruck.
    Let's hope they got it out of their system.
    I, for one, won't be partaking.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

It’s easy to say nice words.

They should give the assets of the Scott Trust to support appropriate causes. Otherwise they are subsisting on the proceeds of wrongdoing
  • Options
    The Lancashire cotton famine is worth a glance. The slave trade, US Civil War and its impact on the average Briton is complex to say the least.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

If you are going to continue on this idiotic line then at least get your facts right. The Mechant Venturers did not erect the statue. It was erected by the Anchor Society which was founded to collect money for the poor and elderly of the city.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    Trans activists write to Sun condemning JK Rowling abuse story
    https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/jun/15/trans-and-non-binary-activists-write-to-sun-in-support-of-jk-rowling
    Trans and non-binary activists have written a public letter in support of JK Rowling after the Sun published a front page interview with her ex-husband headlined: “I slapped JK and I’m not sorry.”

The group of campaigners said that while they strongly opposed the Harry Potter author’s stance on trans rights, they stood in solidarity with her against the newspaper’s “abhorrent” approach to a domestic violence story.

“Misogyny is a pervasive force and one that treats survivors and victims of sexual and domestic violence as bylines to their abuser’s story,” the trans and non-binary activists said in the letter to the Sun’s editor, Victoria Newton.

“We stand alongside JK Rowling in this cruel and malicious reporting, which sends a dangerous message to all survivors that their stories are only valid when corroborated by their abusers. It sends a message to all survivors of domestic and sexual violence that they will not be believed, and it is dangerous.”...
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

There is virtually no part of Britain that did not have some peripheral part in the slave trade or empire.

Decolonisation our history is not about erasing that history, it is about coming to terms with it, and recognising our dark side.
    No it isnt, since I doubt people agree on what 'coming to terms with it' means, indeed it's a meaningless statement as a result. Particularly when how people come to terms with it very much informs proposals for actions in the here and now.

If I disagree with you on actions for what to do now have I failed to come to terms with things? Possibly, possibly not. But conveniently whether I've cone to terms with it or not will be judged by someone other than me regardless of what I think.
  • Options

kle4 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:
    Off topic.

It is just idiotic

Labour have been in power in Wales for far too long and to be honest CarwynJones was quite likeable, but Mark Drakeford is a Corbynista and oversees terrible failures in the Wales NHS and education.

Devolution is not working in North Wales
    Are the electorate voting in the wrong kind of politicians?
    It's traditional.

It does strike me, and I think most of the public already know it, that even the most atypical of politicians become part of the system eventually, despite their own best efforts perhaps. Even revolutionaries adopt the trappings and stylings at the end. I was reading an old university essay collection on the civil wars, and how the various parliaments of the 1650s, even the brief second chamber of 1657, pretty much immediately acted like any other parliaments ever had, regardless of who the members were or what direction they had. Such endurance.
    Not a lot of point in democracy then? ;)
    Enlightened despotism is all the rage these days. According to those living under the despotism anyway, and they're definitely not made to say that...
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Trump +1 in Iowa. He won it by 9.4% in 2016.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560

Maybe if England were properly represented by an English government, it wouldn't.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

How many pre-Enlightenment parts of the world didn't have slavery or a slave trade when they could?

The Arabs, the Africans, the indigenous civilisations of the new world, the Europeans, the Chinese ...

If they didn't, it was more usually because slavery wasn't profitable in the crops they grew, than for any moral reasons.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2020
    Andrew said:

Trump +1 in Iowa. He won it by 9.4% in 2016.

However, at this point in the 2016 campaign Clinton was leading the polls in Iowa...
  • Options
    Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

How many pre-Enlightenment parts of the world didn't have slavery or a slave trade when they could?

The Arabs, the Africans, the indigenous civilisations of the new world, the Europeans, the Chinese ...

If they didn't, it was more usually because slavery wasn't profitable in the crops they grew, than for any moral reasons.
    (Should have written serfdom or slavery).
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    Fishing said:

Maybe if England were properly represented by an English government, it wouldn't.
    England can have its own regional or national parliament. All I would say is what earthly function would that leave Boris with?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,059
    valleyboy said:

Drakeford wasnt someone I had originally warmed to, but I think most reasonable people would say he has had a decent 'pandemic', for all the reasons above. Thank god I'm not English having to put up with Boris Johnson.
    Drakeford was a rabbit in the headlights in March, he has subsequently grown in the pandemic management role.

I genuinely cannot believe how Johnson is getting away with the bluster and subterfuge. How many more dead cats before the table collapses.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    The silent majority are patriotic and want our culture and heritage respected.

Equal opportunities does not mean ignoring our history
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

valleyboy said:

Drakeford was a rabbit in the headlights in March, he has subsequently grown in the pandemic management role.

I genuinely cannot believe how Johnson is getting away with the bluster and subterfuge. How many more dead cats before the table collapses.
    I think it's the same cat
  • Options

By their nature the silent majority are tricky to spot.
    My sense is that they have not the psychic energy for this. But that may just be me.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Where is Starmer letting that prize prat Lammy get air time whilst he hides in the shadows?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,469
    "A very Swedish sort of failure
    A flawed policy on Covid-19 was driven by the country’s exceptionalism
    GIDEON RACHMAN"

https://www.ft.com/content/4f6ad356-9f61-4728-a9aa-3fa1f232035a
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

My sense is that they have not the psychic energy for this. But that may just be me.

The silent majority has a breaking point more accurately a "fuck it I'm not 'avin' that" point. That will be apparent to all, even the Beeb, not that it'll care.
  • Options
    alterego said:

dixiedean said:

The silent majority has a breaking point more accurately a "fuck it I'm not 'avin' that" point. That will be apparent to all, even the Beeb, not that it'll care.

That sort of got fogged
  • Options
    alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

That sort of got fogged

I don't know whether that's me. I'll reboot
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

It is the commoditisation of slavery which sets the Atlantic trade apart. There is a distinction between enslaving people to grow food for you, or enslaving them because the only realistic options for dealing with prisoners of war are death or slavery, and slavery purely to derive cash profit from, ultimately, the frivolous desire for mass produced cotton clothing and sugar in one's tea. I am sure there's stacks of counter examples to this, but nothing on this scale from supposedly advanced (even if technically pre-enlightenment, initially) Christian nations.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Johnson now directly employing LM/Spiked vermin. It won't be too long now.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Mango said:

Baroness Claire Fox as the new Minister for Ideas.
  • Options
    alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

That sort of got fogged

Yes. Me too. It is late and blockquote won't co-operate...
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

It is the commoditisation of slavery which sets the Atlantic trade apart. There is a distinction between enslaving people to grow food for you, or enslaving them because the only realistic options for dealing with prisoners of war are death or slavery, and slavery purely to derive cash profit from, ultimately, the frivolous desire for mass produced cotton clothing and sugar in one's tea. I am sure there's stacks of counter examples to this, but nothing on this scale from supposedly advanced (even if technically pre-enlightenment, initially) Christian nations.
    I'm sure there are lots of us who don't take sugar in out tea.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

That sort of got fogged

Glad I'm not alone.
  • Options
    Mango said:

WTF does that mean?
  • Options
    alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

That sort of got fogged
    Glad I'm not alone.

It's still not working - tech eh?
  • Options
    alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

That sort of got fogged
    Glad I'm not alone.

So late we appear to have entirely switched characters. A true alter ego!
    Good night.
  • Options
    alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

alterego said:

alterego said:

dixiedean said:

That sort of got fogged
    Glad I'm not alone.
    It's still not working - tech eh?

They're picking on us oldies
  • Options
    Giving up the ghost
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    alterego said:

IshmaelZ said:

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I'm sure there are lots of us who don't take sugar in out tea.
    It's ok now, it comes from villein-free Norfolk beet farms. Mass produced cotton clothing otoh...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    alterego said:

Mango said:

WTF does that mean?
    https://twitter.com/harikunzru/status/1272686168723906563?s=21
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
  • Options
    "This disastrous lockdown can never be repeated, even if the virus returns

That is why ministers must listen to Tony Blair and prepare for Covid testing on a truly massive scale
    WILLIAM HAGUE"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/06/15/disastrous-lockdown-can-never-repeated-even-virus-returns/
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    rcs1000 said:
    Thanks for the link. All I can think of is the BBC exit poll showing 61% dissatisfaction with Trump at the start of their election night show. A few hours later he wins by 306 to 232 ECV.
  • Options

Someone should tell Morgan they are not boycotting GMB, they are boycotting him personally because he is such an insufferable twat that no one can stand to be in the same room with him.

(For the record the Government should not be boycotting news channels. But Morgan really is a twat)
    +999,999,999,999
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:
    Thanks for the link. All I can think of is the BBC exit poll showing 61% dissatisfaction with Trump at the start of their election night show. A few hours later he wins by 306 to 232 ECV.
    It would be mildly amusing if Trump won the popular vote, but lost the Electoral College.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:
    To be fair, if you'd seen "Clinton wins popular vote by 2.1%", you would have assumed she was going to be President. The scale of the mismatch between PV and EC was unprecedented.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    alterego said:

Mango said:

WTF does that mean?
    GUO of vermin ...
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331
    rcs1000 said:

+999,999,999,999
    I strenuously object to you speaking of Piers Morgan in such a froendly manner. ;)
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,331

rcs1000 said:

+999,999,999,999
    I strenuously object to you speaking of Piers Morgan in such a froendly manner. ;)
    ..friendly...
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    Fishing said:

I concur.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Scott_xP said:
    Interesting - and very unlucky unless the travellers are twats who had symptoms. Shows the dangers of opening up travel.
  • Options
    felix said:

Scott_xP said:
    Interesting - and very unlucky unless the travellers are twats who had symptoms. Shows the dangers of opening up travel.
    UK travellers are going to be popular in New Zealand in the near future.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Just a touch of the Merkel’s, possibly ?

Strange to think they might have something in common.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

+999,999,999,999
    Allo, allo...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. B, good moaning, everyone.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    I see Munira Mirza is another "not the right type of BAME person".
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    HYUFD said:

So why is so little of it taught, in the gap between the Tudors and the Twentieth Century ?

The history of the slave trade and empire is pretty well ignored.
  • Options

alterego said:

Mango said:

WTF does that mean?
    https://twitter.com/harikunzru/status/1272686168723906563?s=21
    The Tory version of the Shami investigation...
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Scott_xP said:
    Morning all.

And Great Jumping Jolyon springs back into action.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    Andy_JS said:
    When you've met one, you've met them all.
    - bit prejudiced, don't you think?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    tlg86 said:

I see Munira Mirza is another "not the right type of BAME person".

I see Munira Mirza is another right type of revolutionary communist.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"A very Swedish sort of failure
    A flawed policy on Covid-19 was driven by the country’s exceptionalism
    GIDEON RACHMAN"

https://www.ft.com/content/4f6ad356-9f61-4728-a9aa-3fa1f232035a

I maintain that national exceptionalism is not, er, exceptional and so usually as a critique it is flawed. However, several months ago there were plenty of rather smug comments reported out if Sweden about why their policy would risk because of uniqueness of the swedes, when if it did work it seemed unlikely to be because if something inherently exceptional.
  • Options
    coachcoach Posts: 250

Andy_JS said:
    When you've met one, you've met them all.
    - bit prejudiced, don't you think?
    Yes but its the right type of prejudice
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited June 2020
    Although the graphic looks dramatic, just an 8% lead five months out from the election still worries me.

On the other hand, for all the talk about Biden's senility that video of Trump is disturbing, following hot on the heels of the two handed drinking. He has a medical problem I think?
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

So why is so little of it taught, in the gap between the Tudors and the Twentieth Century ?

The history of the slave trade and empire is pretty well ignored.
    I thought the period was glorified not ignored, which is it?

I think our teaching of history has some pretty glaring omissions - I was not once taught at school about the civil wars of the 1640s and 1650s for instance - and I suspect the silent majority are not overly proud or overly condemnatory, they are overly apathetic.

We dont know enough about history in general, which is why we get overly defensive or overly emotional in a negative sense by viewing too much of it through the prism of present politics, shorn of any national or global context.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    NEW THREAD
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    It takes two sides to fight a culture war, he cannot wage it alone. Therefore I suspect what he wants to do is, while not unimportant, also is not definitive.
This discussion has been closed.