Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New polling on Cummings finds 62% still saying it’s important

Comments

• Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Johnson will be glad the muppets at the BBC have taken the heat off of him for a while.

Of course, the worst is still yet to come. There is nobody I trust less to deal with the crisis than Boris Johnson.

How disappointed will you be if there isn’t a second wave of deaths ?
    I hope there isn't a second wave.

But that isn't what I was thinking, it's how the UK has handled the first wave that's dreadful, along with PPE, Cummings, the economic collapse that is yet to come.

Johnson doesn't have the ability to handle one of those, yet alone all.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,965
    Brom said:

And as I warned there was always a danger that some journalists with a vendetta would overstep the mark with Cummings.

Not the first time it's happened. But happening so many days into a political crisis of Cummings' own making, and which hasn't actually completely gone away yet either, means the overstepping may not deflect as much as previously.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Scott_xP said:
    ouch Guardian not even supporting Maitlis.
  • Options
    My prediction would be polling lines up pretty much with YG and the other one that came out this week, a sustained 6 or so point lead.

But when the next crisis comes, I think Labour will take the lead, by the end of this year - I had a flutter already.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Scott_xP said:

TGOHF666 said:

You don’t get it - it’s about reducing the R - not catching every case and every contact.

That whooshing sound was the point flying over your head.

I am not saying the concept doesn't work. I am saying the Governments implementation of it doesn't work.

Read the thread of all the people working on it who say it isn't ready, and read the newspaper article about the fact it's not ready.

It doesn't work
    If it causes one person on day 1 to isolate and not spread then it works.

Why must you be so simplistic and digital ?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Johnson will be glad the muppets at the BBC have taken the heat off of him for a while.

Of course, the worst is still yet to come. There is nobody I trust less to deal with the crisis than Boris Johnson.

I saw Yvette Cooper at the Boris event today. Can she persuade her husband to come back for LAB? It would really help them and would be x100 improvement on Anneliese
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

We’ve reached the point where the only way to understand the state the country is in is to realise that it has become a banana republic.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/27/boris-johnson-showman-out-of-his-depth-john-crace

There's a difference between living in place which may well be crappily governed, and a banana republic/monarchy. You don't need to be a fan of the present administration to think we should keep a distance between them, otherwise it really limits how we'd describe any further deterioration. See also used of 'failed/pariah state'.
    Nonetheless, Scott has a point. It feels like everything is turning to sh*t and that the govt could not organise a party in a brewery...

I always knew that Boris and his Cabinet of non-entities would screw things up, but this is ridiculous.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Sturgeon has spent all week saying the Scottish version starts tomorrow. Which it is.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52820592
  • Options
    Brom said:

All I can say is thank goodness Jeremy Corbyn isn't PM. Or Emily Maitlis :smiley:

Night all
    Is anyone surprised by the Emily Maitlis business? She may as well wear a 'vote Labour' rosette she is that biased. A significant improvement on Right or Burley though
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,965
    edited May 2020

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

We’ve reached the point where the only way to understand the state the country is in is to realise that it has become a banana republic.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/27/boris-johnson-showman-out-of-his-depth-john-crace

There's a difference between living in place which may well be crappily governed, and a banana republic/monarchy. You don't need to be a fan of the present administration to think we should keep a distance between them, otherwise it really limits how we'd describe any further deterioration. See also used of 'failed/pariah state'.
    Nonetheless, Scott has a point. It feels like everything is turning to sh*t and that the govt could not organise a party in a brewery...

I always knew that Boris and his Cabinet of non-entities would screw things up, but this is ridiculous.
    The point that the government is crap can be made a thousand ways, with varying degrees of strength, without leaping to calling the country a banana republic which just undermines actual criticism. That only makes a point against the person making it, that they cannot help going too far in criticism, even when there's plenty to criticise!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Meanwhile, in little-noticed news, talks to form a government in Ireland are STILL going on.

The election took place on the 8th February.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Brom said:

All I can say is thank goodness Jeremy Corbyn isn't PM. Or Emily Maitlis :smiley:

Night all
    Is anyone surprised by the Emily Maitlis business? She may as well wear a 'vote Labour' rosette she is that biased. A significant improvement on Right or Burley though
    I meant Rigby not Right!
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    It certainly gives the impression of a govt in total control and led by a titan of Churchillian proportions.

Not.......
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,762
    Why is the track and trace self-isolation not being made mandatory?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

The point that the government is crap can be made a thousand ways, with varying degrees of strength, without leaping to calling the country a banana republic which just undermines actual criticism. That only makes a point against the person making it, that they cannot help going too far in criticism, even when there's plenty to criticise!
    I take it you are not a fan of bananas then? :innocent:
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    It certainly gives the impression of a govt in total control and led by a titan of Churchillian proportions.

Not.......
    Although in recent years Boris's proportions have become more like Churchill's :smile:
  • Options

Meanwhile, in little-noticed news, talks to form a government in Ireland are STILL going on.

It is amazing :D:D

And we all thought political comedy had stopped when Yes Minister finally came to a halt...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,617

People will use their instincts.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995

Mmm...Thinks.
    No idea what could have scuppered that, nope.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,882
    Interesting there's only 4 women on the list.
  • Options

Ireland with no government appears to be fairing considerably better than the UK with this government.
  • Options

Um - because we aren’t North Korea ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,687

They use STV. They're probably still counting.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    dixiedean said:

Mmm...Thinks.
    No idea what could have scuppered that, nope.
  • Options

It might be later. But the DHSC isn't sure.

Yes but no but yes but no but...
  • Options
    BantermanBanterman Posts: 287
    Ave_it said:

Ave_it said:

Brom said:

Night all
    I meant Rigby not Right!
    She should take over the ranting loony slot from Piers Morgan on GMB.
  • Options
    Why bother with the army of tracers when all they do is ask people for a list of names and phone numbers. Why not just ask people who test positive to phone their contacts themselves?
  • Options
    edited May 2020

My prediction would be polling lines up pretty much with YG and the other one that came out this week, a sustained 6 or so point lead.

But when the next crisis comes, I think Labour will take the lead, by the end of this year - I had a flutter already.

It would probably be a good thing for the opposition to go ahead in the polls for a while, even from the point of view of government supporters.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,127
    Ave_it said:

I saw Yvette Cooper at the Boris event today. Can she persuade her husband to come back for LAB? It would really help them and would be x100 improvement on Anneliese
    Agreed. Be great to see Ed Balls back. A class act.

Within parliament, Rachel Reeves is surely a far better candidate for ShadChan than Ms Dodds.
  • Options
    alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100

This is the UK
  • Options

Ave_it said:

Agreed. Be great to see Ed Balls back. A class act.

Within parliament, Rachel Reeves is surely a far better candidate for ShadChan than Ms Dodds.
    Correct. I like Rachel.
  • Options

That accounted for the first month or so.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,296
    Penny Mordaunt is only slightly shorter than Jenrick to be next leader.

That is hilarious.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986

It seems to be running better than ours at the moment Richard
  • Options

Or working out how to work it out?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,127
    Or is the press officer mouthpiece LauraK just a bit crap?

Now let me think.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,126
    JonathanD said:

Scott_xP said:

What a fucking disaster this all is. You couldn't make it up. The Chief Modeller and the Lord High Chief Everything both smash the rules to pieces for their own egotistic ends then they are asking the rest of us to keep carrying on and do our duty.

A tracking app is being developed that will probably never see the light of day because ministers could not bear the idea of using a basic API that other countries were using.

Meanwhile, we were told a carefully staged set of steps to unlock gradually and slowly, constantly looking at R and unwinding if necessary, has become Announce That X is to Open within days on an hourly basis. Anything, anything to divert from one of the worst examples of elite hypocrisy in modern history.

Any hardcore europhile should be pushing for a crash out WTO Brexit this December. The mess this government would make of it would have us back in the EU and the euro by the end of 2021. In the middle of it all we'd probably find Cummings fleeing the country to his French chateaux for good measure.
    No it wouldn't even Starmer would only take us back into the single market not the full EU and certainly not the Euro
  • Options

Why bother with the army of tracers when all they do is ask people for a list of names and phone numbers. Why not just ask people who test positive to phone their contacts themselves?

Too sensible and you cannot bung millions to your favourite consultants.
  • Options

and use up their minutes????
  • Options
    Nick Watt thinks Cummings now stays. Tory MPs who want him out now accept, very reluctantly, that Johnson will hang on to him come what may.

But he has burnt a ton of capital.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Interesting there's only 4 women on the list.
    Fewer egos bruised by Dom
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    Depends who you are, obvs.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

What a fatuous response.

This is either important for the country or it's not. If the latter why bother with it at all?

Lockdown breaches have been punishable with a fine so why not breaches of track and trace self-isolation?

Given the way adherance to guidelines has been undermined recently by you know who, pelpole need to understand they have to take it seriously.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,787

Scott_xP said:

Not.......
    Although in recent years Boris's proportions have become more like Churchill's :smile:
    More Mussolini than Churchill. Lots of populist rabble rousing bluster. Capable of beating a weak opponent like Abyssinia, but thrashed by competent opponents. Propped up by a foreign power of great ruthlessness, then caught and deposed by his own people.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Or South Korea, for that matter.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JonathanD said:

Scott_xP said:

What a fucking disaster this all is. You couldn't make it up. The Chief Modeller and the Lord High Chief Everything both smash the rules to pieces for their own egotistic ends then they are asking the rest of us to keep carrying on and do our duty.

A tracking app is being developed that will probably never see the light of day because ministers could not bear the idea of using a basic API that other countries were using.

Meanwhile, we were told a carefully staged set of steps to unlock gradually and slowly, constantly looking at R and unwinding if necessary, has become Announce That X is to Open within days on an hourly basis. Anything, anything to divert from one of the worst examples of elite hypocrisy in modern history.

Any hardcore europhile should be pushing for a crash out WTO Brexit this December. The mess this government would make of it would have us back in the EU and the euro by the end of 2021. In the middle of it all we'd probably find Cummings fleeing the country to his French chateaux for good measure.
    No it wouldn't even Starmer would only take us back into the single market not the full EU and certainly not the Euro
    Never say never
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    So if you have been in contact with anyone with Covid 19 you must self isolate for 14 days, you must self isolate. So what about all the carers in care homes, and the hospital doctors, nurses, pharmacists, porters, cleaners and dinner ladies on Covid wards. And what about their partners and flat-mates, and the people they travel to work with on the bus. And on it goes
  • Options

Good lord! Is that the "world class plan"? May as well not bother!

Looks like we are copying Brazil...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It seems to be running better than ours at the moment Richard
    Not much TBH:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-has-one-of-the-highest-rates-of-covid-19-deaths-in-care-homes-in-world-1.4260140
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Not.......
    More Mussolini than Churchill. Lots of populist rabble rousing bluster. Capable of beating a weak opponent like Abyssinia, but thrashed by competent opponents. Propped up by a foreign power of great ruthlessness, then caught and deposed by his own people.
    Er, I was referring to his rotundity.
  • Options

Nick Watt thinks Cummings now stays. Tory MPs who want him out now accept, very reluctantly, that Johnson will hang on to him come what may.

does copper burn?
  • Options
    alterego said:

HYUFD said:

JonathanD said:

Scott_xP said:

Never say never
    The one way Starmer could ensure a second Boris landslide no matter how bad it gets is to say he would join the Euro
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    Of course it's voluntary, this isn't China.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

What a fatuous response.

This is either important for the country or it's not. If the latter why bother with it at all?

Lockdown breaches have been punishable with a fine so why not breaches of track and trace self-isolation?

Given the way adherance to guidelines has been undermined recently by you know who, pelpole need to understand they have to take it seriously.
    You did say mandatory - how would that work?
  • Options
    franklyn said:

So if you have been in contact with anyone with Covid 19 you must self isolate for 14 days, you must self isolate. So what about all the carers in care homes, and the hospital doctors, nurses, pharmacists, porters, cleaners and dinner ladies on Covid wards. And what about their partners and flat-mates, and the people they travel to work with on the bus. And on it goes

That's why track and trace only really works when you have very low numbers of infected people.

I know, let's go back to February and start track and trace then.
  • Options
    franklyn said:

Yes such a system only works if there is a high take up of the app, and low prevalence of disease. We have neither.
  • Options
    The alternative Tory leadership begins to take shape. Mordaunt, Javid, Hunt.

Can they find more common ground in next couple of years?

https://twitter.com/tobyhelm/status/1265707034667819008
  • Options
    Look at this Boris/ Cummings nonsense !

Oh wait it has NHS written on it.

https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1265765143469871104?s=21
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited May 2020

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Not.......
    Il Duce was quite stocky, too, but I have seen footage of him swimming, from the early fourties, and with him it really was more muscle than blubber.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Not.......
    bedtime Foxy I think
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Foxy said:

franklyn said:

Yes such a system only works if there is a high take up of the app, and low prevalence of disease. We have neither.
    Well we don't have the former because it doesn't work or indeed exist outside of an island in the Solent.
  • Options

Nick Watt is an excellent journalist because I have no idea what his personal political opinions are.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:
    Sweden was right says Norway?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Not.......
    I think everyone else got it.
  • Options
    franklyn said:

There has to be an exemption for care home workers. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to function.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,314
    Just passing by. Has anyone seen this...?

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/barnard-castle-eye-test
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

alterego said:

HYUFD said:

JonathanD said:

Scott_xP said:

Never say never
    The one way Starmer could ensure a second Boris landslide no matter how bad it gets is to say he would join the Euro
    Suppose he doesn't say
  • Options
    alterego said:

TGOHF666 said:

What a fatuous response.

A bit like this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/health-secretary-announces-strengthened-legal-powers-to-bolster-public-health-protections-against-coronavirus
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Reads a bit too much like the crap that the DWP uses for scripts for illness/disability/carers. And we all know how well that system works.
  • Options
    alterego said:

HYUFD said:

alterego said:

HYUFD said:

JonathanD said:

Scott_xP said:

Never say never
    Suppose he doesn't say
    If he took us into the Euro without a referendum and with no manifesto commitment there would be a revolution
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

Reads a bit too much like the crap that the DWP uses for scripts for illness/disability/carers. And we all know how well that system works.
    You criticising the NHS ?
  • Options
    franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Andy_JS said:

franklyn said:

There has to be an exemption for care home workers. Otherwise they wouldn't be able to function.
    But there are huge numbers of care home workers, probably the highest risk group in the UK, and if we start exempting them and their friends and families we might as well not bother. This is a hopeless farce.
  • Options
    alterego said:

does copper burn?
    Bit late in the day for a GCSE Chemistry question.

Night all
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Can someone explain to me where we now are? We're told we have to obey test and trace or the lockdown will continue. But isn't the lockdown continuing anyway?
  • Options

Andy_JS said:
    Though Norway might console themselves by considering that although they got it wrong their deaths per million stand at 43 compared to Sweden's 418.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,991
    Andy_JS said:
    Doesn't really explain why Sweden had hugely higher death rates than Norway - or than Denmark.
  • Options

Can someone explain to me where we now are? We're told we have to obey test and trace or the lockdown will continue. But isn't the lockdown continuing anyway?

Lockdown is gradually being eased surely.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,983

Andy_JS said:
    Well, well.

If this turns out to be true we may see a return to panic buying...of humble pie!
  • Options

alterego said:

TGOHF666 said:

What a fatuous response.

A bit like this?

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/health-secretary-announces-strengthened-legal-powers-to-bolster-public-health-protections-against-coronavirus
    !0 Feb - the world moves on and so does experience
  • Options
    alterego said:

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:

Not.......
    bedtime Foxy I think
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Tweet has been deleted.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    I'll download an NHS app. Not sure I'd be happy giving out all my whereabouts and details to a cold caller.
  • Options
    alterego said:

alterego said:

TGOHF666 said:

What a fatuous response.

A bit like this?

Well if they'd used this in the first place we might have had a better experience.
  • Options

Not round my way.
  • Options

alterego said:

alterego said:

TGOHF666 said:

What a fatuous response.

A bit like this?

Well if they'd used this in the first place we might have had a better experience.
    hindsight?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'll download an NHS app. Not sure I'd be happy giving out all my whereabouts and details to a cold caller.

Indeed - we never answer cold callers now due to the number of scam calls.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

501 deaths in Mexico today. Don't even want to imagine how high that figure might go.

Mexico has the 10th highest population in the world and the 9th highest number of Covid deaths so about as expected
  • Options

Just passing by. Has anyone seen this...?

https://www.brewdog.com/uk/barnard-castle-eye-test

Genuine :lol:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

501 deaths in Mexico today. Don't even want to imagine how high that figure might go.

Mexico has the 10th highest population in the world and the 9th highest number of Covid deaths so about as expected
    UK has the 21st highest population in the world and the... oh, 2nd highest number of Covid deaths... so about as expected?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,792
    Foxy said:

Good lord! Is that the "world class plan"? May as well not bother!

Looks like we are copying Brazil...
    It’s very obvious that not only is it not ‘world beating’ (ridiculous rhetoric anyway), but also that it’s nowhere near fully in place - as the NHS guy on Newsnight described in some detail.

It’s the right idea, but it’s very basic, and something which could have been in place a month ago.

As on testing, we’re just very slow. And that costs money and lives.
  • Options
    Who are we going to blame if it turns out lockdown was a waste of a lot of time and even more money?

• Options
    isam said:

Who are we going to blame if it turns out lockdown was a waste of a lot of time and even more money?

Nicola Sturgeon? As she likes the Stalinist lockdown approach
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Andrew said:

UK has the 21st highest population in the world and the... oh, 2nd highest number of Covid deaths... so about as expected?
    Well we also have a median age almost double that of Mexico and a high population density
  • Options
    Night all.

Hope I don't dream a track and trace nightmare along the lines of the average DWP interaction in which I am phoned day and night about people I have never met.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Ave_it said:

isam said:

Nicola Sturgeon? As she likes the Stalinist lockdown approach
    Boris obviously didn't want to do it, so we could blame him for not having the courage of his convictions.

Then again he was a relative sceptic compared to the Hitler youth lockdown zealots
This discussion has been closed.