Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Starmer’s ratings are generally getting better as the number o

Comments

• Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163

RobD said:

No those were the ones I could name off the top of my head.

When you post it's like you just discovered the emoji button on your keyboard.

Hey! That is MY job!! :D:D;):open_mouth:
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475
    TOPPING said:

malcolmg said:

TOPPING said:

This site is very much to the right.

It's like 80% right wing posters, 20% others. Maybe 10% or less are Labour.

Again...nothing wrong with that.

We welcome lefties. The more the merrier. Some of them, however, get very frustrated with the perceived right wing nature of the site (as people have pointed out, I don't think it especially is) and then go off on one and get banned or bored.
    Next you will be telling me Attila the Hun was a peace loving guy
    Vegetarian and anti-foxhunting I believe.
    Mayoral role model as well. Inspired Sadiq to be (checks twitter) 'The leader of cultural #Jihad'.

• RobDRobD Posts: 59,541
    edited May 2020

At least you've lost the link to that enormous one that annoyed tyson so much. ;)

• Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Dreadful performance by Johnson. The bluster worked against Corbyn but Starmer is so pin point precise Johnson looks exposed.

Did you watch a different PMQs?

The PB Tory brigade have assured us that Johnson bestrode the Commons stage like a Swiftian Gulliver clearing all before him whilst some faded grey bloke mumbled questions that everyone ignored...
    Obviously I'm just a brainwashed leftie
    Don't let that put you off. We welcome all sorts here, even brainwashed lefties ;)
    I feel it my responsibility to try and add some balance to what is a very pro-Tory site. Nothing wrong with that but that is evidently the case.
    I don't think it evidently is. There's all sorts here - lefties, nationalists, even an LD host.

As for the Tories they're very split too. I think I may be the only poster here who was unabashedly both anti May and pro Boris. A lot of Tories here were the other way around.

But 80% of the posts are lefty Tweets from Scott, so that balances it out :wink:
    Scott does his best, he is one of the few leftie posters I can think of.
    @bigjohnowls , @Gallowgate , @OnlyLivingBoy are 3 that immediately come to mind. Scott is a Tory in despair about Brexit.
    Nick Palmer waves...
    Whoops! Embarrassing. Sorry @NickPalmer And no doubt many others. I also think 10% is low.
    @RochdalePioneers, @SouthamObserver, @justin124 to name three other regulars.
    @Cyclefree I'd put as centreleft.

And that's without considering the left wing nationalists like @Theuniondivvie
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    RobD said:

Dreadful performance by Johnson. The bluster worked against Corbyn but Starmer is so pin point precise Johnson looks exposed.

The PB Tory brigade have assured us that Johnson bestrode the Commons stage like a Swiftian Gulliver clearing all before him whilst some faded grey bloke mumbled questions that everyone ignored...
    Don't let that put you off. We welcome all sorts here, even brainwashed lefties ;)
    I feel it my responsibility to try and add some balance to what is a very pro-Tory site. Nothing wrong with that but that is evidently the case.
    I don't think it evidently is. There's all sorts here - lefties, nationalists, even an LD host.

As for the Tories they're very split too. I think I may be the only poster here who was unabashedly both anti May and pro Boris. A lot of Tories here were the other way around.

But 80% of the posts are lefty Tweets from Scott, so that balances it out :wink:
    He is/was a Tory.
    Thats surprising. Losing Brexit sent him a bit bonkers I think.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475
    edited May 2020
    PB Tories comforting themselves that this is a balanced, ecumenical site again? This time of year comes round so fast.
  • TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

We welcome lefties. The more the merrier. Some of them, however, get very frustrated with the perceived right wing nature of the site (as people have pointed out, I don't think it especially is) and then go off on one and get banned or bored.
    I don't believe I have "gone off on one", I was just making an observation.

For me, I much prefer this site compared to others that just confirm my views.
    I don't think you have gone off on one either. I'm just saying one reason I've observed for some lefties to have, er, left.

I hope you and all the other ones stay as long as you wish.
    Sorry for any misunderstanding.
    RobD said:

At least you've lost the link to that enormous one that annoyed tyson so much. ;)

tyson is another leftie for that conversation.
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

We're still waiting for that magic 38-40 moment...
    Well there's a new YouGov. Labour are up to 33% and the Tory lead with YouGov is down to 15%. It was 20% last time and 24% in the last YouGov prior to Starmer being elected.

Johnson "Best PM" lead down from 24% to 12% in the course of a fortnight.

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/246il6g7ik/TheTimes_VI_Trackers_200519_W.pdf
    I would be surprised if the Tory lead isn't in the single figures by the end of this year.
    Polls don't matter until 2024!

:lol::lol: (PS I invented emojis on here!)
  • RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

@bigjohnowls , @Gallowgate , @OnlyLivingBoy are 3 that immediately come to mind. Scott is a Tory in despair about Brexit.
    Nick Palmer waves...
    Whoops! Embarrassing. Sorry @NickPalmer And no doubt many others. I also think 10% is low.
    Naming more doesn't make the 10% estimate change. The point I was making is that I can name very few pro-Labour posters.

I stand by my point.

I do not think that the site is pro-Tory or inhabited by overwhelming numbers of Tories, but the unflinching loyalty of the PB Tories and their almost Orwellian denials of reality skew the feel of the debate. I think they are a minority, but a very vocal one.

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nick Palmer waves...
    Naming more doesn't make the 10% estimate change. The point I was making is that I can name very few pro-Labour posters.

I stand by my point.
    But you were only thinking of four posters, yourself included, when you came up with that estimate.

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nick Palmer waves...

I stand by my point.
    We've just very quickly come up with a dozen lefties on this site.

I think you'd struggle to quickly come up with a hundred Tories which would be required if your breakdown was accurate.
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nick Palmer waves...

I stand by my point.
    But you were only thinking of four posters, yourself included, when you came up with that estimate.
    How on Earth do you know what I was thinking?

I believe the total is 10%, that is what I stick by.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,917

Site is dominated by people obsessed by how to stay on elite tiers of frequent flyer programmes and the proper way to treat your cleaner. Am I the only PBer who doesn't have a cleaner?
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. 43, no.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,367
    Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Bye bye Northern Ireland in the long term.
  • Dreadful performance by Johnson. The bluster worked against Corbyn but Starmer is so pin point precise Johnson looks exposed.

I do not think that the site is pro-Tory or inhabited by overwhelming numbers of Tories, but the unflinching loyalty of the PB Tories and their almost Orwellian denials of reality skew the feel of the debate. I think they are a minority, but a very vocal one.
    This is a reasonable response and could explain my assumptions. I do think there is certainly an over-representation of Tory views from posters - but that may well be because they tend to post a lot more frequently than others.

I would say I do not post too frequently, I often disappear for a while and come back. Such is working life unfortunately.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,538
    DavidL said:

I thought I was so even handed in my commentary that I would pass below the radar!
    I always thought of myself as a centrist dad or Blairite scum, but I did one of those tests on Facebook and it labelled me a "libertarian socialist" which I suppose is probably accurate.

RobD said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nick Palmer waves...

I stand by my point.

Because you said "I was thinking of those three + me.".
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411
    edited May 2020
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8339925/Nurse-shares-photo-50lb-weight-loss-battling-COVID-19.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed_desktop_news

I'll file this under "Doesn't affect young healthy people too badly"

In more positive news no new cases in London or South East (Probably due to a technical/weekend effect) but still, progress.

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
  • RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nick Palmer waves...

I stand by my point.

Those are the posters I can name. It doesn't mean there are more or less Labour posters, or Tory posters. I just can name a lot more Tory posters than Labour ones.

I don't think we've ever seen eye to eye on anything, so as usual I will leave this conversation here on a respectful note.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,459
    FF43 said:

Site is dominated by people obsessed by how to stay on elite tiers of frequent flyer programmes and the proper way to treat your cleaner. Am I the only PBer who doesn't have a cleaner?
    *cough* best wine merchant for mature claret *cough*
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,491

RobD said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nick Palmer waves...

I stand by my point.

PB Tories have mystical powers including telepathy.

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
    So I'll put you down as one of the site's lefties, then.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,780

TOPPING said:

Yes, it's much better to get a broad set of opinions before forming your own, and this site is good for that. I buy the "i" and took out a Telegraph online subscription in order to get both sides of the argument on Brexit. By contrast, I've a friend whose left wing view of the world seems to be determined entirely by what she reads on "The Canary" and never deviates from their slant on things.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,143
    Pulpstar said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8339925/Nurse-shares-photo-50lb-weight-loss-battling-COVID-19.html?ns_mchannel=rss&ico=taboola_feed_desktop_news

In more positive news no new cases in London or South East (Probably due to a technical/weekend effect) but still, progress.

I posted a reddit version of that story earlier.

London and the South East are getting very low - probably into a noise effect at this point.

• Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 14,141

Johnson has clearly spent a week preparing for PMQs and still can’t do it. He is going to come to detest Starmer in a very personal way. Starmer is making him work and then relentlessly showing that he is not up to the task.

I'm biased but I gave last weeks PMQs to Starmer. This week I think it was a score draw. Starmer was asking questions he knew had no answer and Boris was able to bat them off - and managed to answer Starmer's question 4 in advance of him asking it in his answer 3 which was amusing, so when Starmer went on to ask his question still he was able to say he'd already answered that.
    Yep, very biased. Johnson was still crap. Not as crap as the last two times, but still hopeless. I cannot remember a PM so inept at PMQs. Even Gordon Brown was significantly better. Funny really, as it is the one area where I would have thought Johnson might be able to shine, but, like with every aspect of his premiership he is out of his depth.
  • TOPPING said:

Yes, it's much better to get a broad set of opinions before forming your own, and this site is good for that. I buy the "i" and took out a Telegraph online subscription in order to get both sides of the argument on Brexit. By contrast, I've a friend whose left wing view of the world seems to be determined entirely by what she reads on "The Canary" and never deviates from their slant on things.
    As somebody who fell into that world before the election and has recovered since, I can appreciate it being very difficult to get out of.

I return to what I was before this whole Corbyn business started - and that is a bog standard Norway-style social democrat.
  • Pulpstar said:

I posted a reddit version of that story earlier.

London and the South East are getting very low - probably into a noise effect at this point.

I genuinely believe the lockdown is unsustainable in London.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,367
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
    Only traitors want to see the breakup of the UK because lefties hate the UK.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,352
    How is Boris going to create world beating testing if it is wrong to make international comparisons?
    RobD said:

Was it this one?

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nick Palmer waves...

I stand by my point.

Those are the posters I can name. It doesn't mean there are more or less Labour posters, or Tory posters. I just can name a lot more Tory posters than Labour ones.

I don't think we've ever seen eye to eye on anything, so as usual I will leave this conversation here on a respectful note.
    If you can only name three, don't you think that might affect your ability to estimate the overall population?
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,491

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

So Mrs May's dreadful 'deal' was indeed significantly less bad than Boris' 'get Brexit done, deal'.

RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Nick Palmer waves...

I stand by my point.

Its classic observation bias.

To be far you probably converse more back and forth with people you disagree with rather than those you agree with.

You couldn't name RochdalePioneers as Labour but you probably haven't gone back and forth with him as much as you have with eg me. Because you and I disagree so we reply to each other more, when you see Rochdale write something you agree with you probably just nod along rather than reply to him.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    Foxy said:

The FT estimates of excess mortality by country are especially interesting when you also look at their estimates for specific large cities or areas. For example (figures shown are the 2020 increase to date in mortality from all causes compared with an average year):

UK +61%, London +135%
    France +31%, Ile de France +137%
    Sweden +29%, Stockholm +87%
    US +19%, New York City +408%
    Italy +55%, Bergamo province +496%

https://www.ft.com/content/a26fbf7e-48f8-11ea-aeb3-955839e06441

What this probably shows is that crude death leagues by country are incredibly misleading, because so much depends on sudden high-speed exponential growth in crowded areas. It probably also suggests that there could be a lot more big outbreaks to come as things relax a bit.

Worth noting that those excess deaths are occurring in the epicentres of Covid-19, not across the whole areas of lockdown. This is quite a strong pointer that these were indeed undiagnosed Covid-19. Deaths from other causes would be more evenly spread.
    Good point.

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
    I don't hate the UK, I just think its served its purpose and should fade into the history books like Empire did.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,337

DavidL said:

I was thinking of those three + me.
    @Jonathon @SouthamObserver @NickPalmer @Mysticrose @SandyRentool @tyson @TheJezziah @Wulfrun_Phil and a whole bunch of others I have sadly neglected (plus myself) would, I think, say they were to the left of centre (quite far to the left of centre in some cases).

I wouldn't guess on a percentage, but I think the site is more likely to be unrepresentative for other reasons. We probably have a much higher percentage of people who can do an impression of a dial-up modem than the general population, for example.
  • rjkrjk Posts: 71
    Boris seems to be edging closer to the winning strategy: assert control over the situation with an effective system of testing and tracing, sufficient to restore public confidence in the safety of public spaces. There's still nothing on the quarantine measures for those who test positive, but those empty Nightingale hospitals could really come in handy for this.

If the system works, normal life could resume faster than many are assuming. There's no need for a trade-off between safety and economic activity if we're tracking down and quarantining the infected faster than they can infect others. It's also a much simpler story for the government, much better than arcane rules about whether you can meet your great-uncle in a park if it's a Tuesday and it's raining.

It all comes down to the delivery. Can they do it? I say this as a Boris-skeptic who would nevertheless very much like to see him succeed at this, because right now it's in the country's interest that he do so.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,917
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

Of course, but is there a PB consensus for claret? And someone yesterday was taking about how remarkably quaffable Aldi wines are.
  • TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
    I don't hate the UK, I just think its served its purpose and should fade into the history books like Empire did.
    That would look nice on the side of a bus.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150
    edited May 2020
    Superdrug becomes first high street retailer to sell a coronavirus antibody test for £69 (its the Abbott one)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8340219/Superdrug-high-street-retailer-sell-coronavirus-antibody-test-69.html
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. Eagles, it's almost as if Boris Johnson is unfit to be in the Cabinet.

I would argue that the unflinching right wingers (I probably don't need to name them) are not what I would regard as proper Tories. They are more Brexit Party/UKIP or possibly BNP in their leanings. They will argue that they represent the modern Tory Party, which is a very narrow selection of views compared to the old version of the party. Eventually though, just like the Corbynites that took over Labour they will be ousted when people realise they are a bunch of fuckwits. At least that is what I hope.

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
    My views on the UK predate the EU referendum. I supported Yes in 2014.

I'm also a republican and an atheist. I want to see the Church and Monarchy both removed too. Does that need to go on a bus?

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
    The Irony is strong with this one.....
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,411

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

So Mrs May's dreadful 'deal' was indeed significantly less bad than Boris' 'get Brexit done, deal'.
    Serves the DUP right for opposing May's deal.

I would argue that the unflinching right wingers (I probably don't need to name them) are not what I would regard as proper Tories. They are more Brexit Party/UKIP or possibly BNP in their leanings. They will argue that they represent the modern Tory Party, which is a very narrow selection of views compared to the old version of the party. Eventually though, just like the Corbynites that took over Labour they will be ousted when people realise they are a bunch of fuckwits. At least that is what I hope.
    I think the only one that matches that description is HYUFD.

I view myself as unique and not "proper" anything.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,317

He is unfit to hold a minor role in a District Council. Even that he would make a hash of.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,871

He is unfit to hold a minor role in a District Council. Even that he would make a hash of.
    44% of British voters voted for Boris to be PM, that is the only qualification he needs
    RobD said:

Browser upgrade.... the bookmarks folder was a bit stuffed so I never imported it.

I can always dig something out though ;)
    HYUFD said:

44% of British voters voted for Boris to be PM, that is the only qualification he needs
    Is that all? Embarrassing.

HYUFD said:

More than voted for any PM since Thatcher
    Sky reporting "crowds" at Brighton beach - all looks completely socially distanced.
    We are running out of cases in London & South West - the question is what happens in the Midlands, East and North East now.....

HYUFD said:

Yeah truly embarrassing that in a democracy all you need is to win an election (!)
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,150

Sky reporting "crowds" at Brighton beach - all looks completely socially distanced.

Even the Mail struggling to find people aren't sensibly enjoying the sunshine. Lucky bastards.

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
    The quote would be "Let's ditch N Ireland and Scotland and spend the £350bn saved on our NHS"

It would probably work :open_mouth:
    TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
    He is certainly no conservative but he is not a leftie either but a libertarian
    FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

Of course, but is there a PB consensus for claret? And someone yesterday was taking about how remarkably quaffable Aldi wines are.
    Aldi and Lidl have some great wines. I imagine they hope to bring the poshos in to buy wine and then they buy their baked beans also.

I agree. You are most definitely improper

:D:D

You voted Brexit Party last June, not me

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.

I'm also a republican and an atheist. I want to see the Church and Monarchy both removed too. Does that need to go on a bus?
    I guess that puts you out of alignment with many, though certainly not all English nationalists. Probably puts you in with a lot of contrarian pub bores who think that their "philosophy" makes them look intelligent, when in reality it has the opposite effect. Very similar to one Donald Trump in fact. How is the hydroxychloroquine dose going?

We are running out of cases in London & South West - the question is what happens in the Midlands, East and North East now.....
    Seems to be dropping off in the North West too. My local authority hasn't announced any COVID deaths for 3 days in a row, fingers crossed that continues.

That's why I think we can drop this to containable levels and not need some age-related apartheid where we keep people locked up forever.
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,780

Well there's a new YouGov. Labour are up to 33% and the Tory lead with YouGov is down to 15%. It was 20% last time and 24% in the last YouGov prior to Starmer being elected.

I would be surprised if the Tory lead isn't in the single figures by the end of this year.
    Starmer has certainly started by chipping away at the Tories' lead at a fair pace. In the last 3 polls published (Opinium, Redfield/Wilton and YouGov), the Tory lead averages 14%. The same three firms were the only ones to publish polls with fieldwork in the week before Starmer became leader, and a that point the three showed an average lead of 22.3%.

Now some of that narrowing may not all be down to Starmer upping Labour's game. Some I think is just be down to an unwinding of the mood of early April when the instinct was to suspend disbelief and "rally round the government in a moment of national crisis". However, that shouldn't reassure the Conservatives because it suggests their polling boost was artificial and will unwind further as we go further towards resuming normal business.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,631
    Floater said:

I’m a centrist blairite scumbag

Have you fecked off and joined the tories yet?
    I did better than that - I joined the Yellow Pox. Briefly...
    TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

Aldi and Lidl have some great wines. I imagine they hope to bring the poshos in to buy wine and then they buy their baked beans also.
    There is a phenomenon where businesses that do not have a reputation in a field try much harder - McDonalds for coffee for example. They keep winning blind tastings among the high street chains.

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.

I guess that puts you out of alignment with many, though certainly not all English nationalists. Probably puts you in with a lot of contrarian pub bores who think that their "philosophy" makes them look intelligent, when in reality it has the opposite effect. Very similar to one Donald Trump in fact. How is the hydroxychloroquine dose going?
    Shows how little you know.

Donald Trump disgusts me, I have nothing to do with him and hopes he loses.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,200
    FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

https://www.decanter.com/decanter-best/aldi-wines-336761/
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,284
    The PB Lefties are greater in number now than they once were, I would say.

There was once a time on here where anyone without staunch pro-Tory views was immediately castigated as an 'astroturfer'.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,571

Superdrug becomes first high street retailer to sell a coronavirus antibody test for £69 (its the Abbott one)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8340219/Superdrug-high-street-retailer-sell-coronavirus-antibody-test-69.html

Is the Abbott one the one that you cant count on

See what I did there.

Even the Mail struggling to find people aren't sensibly enjoying the sunshine. Lucky bastards.
    1500mm lens from 1 mile away will fix that, by making people 50 feet apart look like they are standing on each other.

I agree. You are most definitely improper

:D:D
    No he a proper something, but it is a word that would be improper to use on this site.

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

There is a phenomenon where businesses that do not have a reputation in a field try much harder - McDonalds for coffee for example. They keep winning blind tastings among the high street chains.
    Most of my drive thru visits to McDonalds are for just a coffee and no food. It is good.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821

Clearly the explanation is that you find the Tory posters more interesting, so notice them more.
    HYUFD said:

As a protest vote to force out Theresa May not because I support them, as I said.
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
    Yes, but pretends to dislike Trump. I think he is just a populist contrarian that has lost his way.
  • SockySocky Posts: 404

I would argue that the unflinching right wingers (I probably don't need to name them) are not what I would regard as proper Tories. They are more Brexit Party/UKIP or possibly BNP in their leanings.

I understand that the BNP felt they were "the only true socialist party in the UK". Their policies that I am aware of struck me a more old Labour than anything a right wing party would support.

UKIP were kind of single issue - a bit like the SNP.

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

Most of my drive thru visits to McDonalds are for just a coffee and no food. It is good.
    Tried their espresso in Hamburg - there was no other option locally - it seemed OK. Better than Costa...
  • rjk said:

Boris seems to be edging closer to the winning strategy: assert control over the situation with an effective system of testing and tracing, sufficient to restore public confidence in the safety of public spaces. There's still nothing on the quarantine measures for those who test positive, but those empty Nightingale hospitals could really come in handy for this.

If the system works, normal life could resume faster than many are assuming. There's no need for a trade-off between safety and economic activity if we're tracking down and quarantining the infected faster than they can infect others. It's also a much simpler story for the government, much better than arcane rules about whether you can meet your great-uncle in a park if it's a Tuesday and it's raining.

It all comes down to the delivery. Can they do it? I say this as a Boris-skeptic who would nevertheless very much like to see him succeed at this, because right now it's in the country's interest that he do so.

He needs the mass antibody test promised weeks ago. The current options track and trace one day ok, get the virus the next. Limited value and Johnson can't keep the economy shut much longer in a vain wait for his game-changer.

He is probably helped in his stalling tactics by the sheer stupidity of the questioning by both the MSM and the opposition. Care homes are 90% private businesses, where both residents and staff have been widely regarded as getting a bum deal for a long time. There isn't much mileage there bashing the government, when most are aware it is internal management in care homes that has most to answer for.

Starmer would be better focusing on ideas to move us forward out of the current impasse but I doubt his Public Unions bosses would allow that.

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
    Yes, but pretends to dislike Trump. I think he is just a populist contrarian that has lost his way.
    No pretending. Trump is very illiberal, why would I like him?

I am entirely consistent in my liberal principles.
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

HYUFD said:

If you find the concept of needing to win the most votes embarrassing, then no wonder your lot are out of power...

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

FF43 said:

I have to agree. Their coffee is the only product I have bought in McD's since 1991.

As for wine - Yellow Tail wines are nice enough for day-to-day but the Dom Ott Clos Mirielle is very nice when on offer :D

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
    The quote would be "Let's ditch N Ireland and Scotland and spend the £350bn saved on our NHS"

It would probably work :open_mouth:
    Win, win, win! :grin:

HYUFD said:

As a protest vote to force out Theresa May not because I support them, as I said.
    You’re never going to out partisan the robot so not worth even trying.

HYUFD said:

If you find the concept of needing to win the most votes embarrassing, then no wonder your lot are out of power...
    I know right, only 44% when up against Corbyn as well. Really embarrassing, although still rather funny.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,749
    edited May 2020
    TimT said:

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

If lockdown is lifted, “social distancing” has to stop. Basic, sensible hygiene measures: yes. But the idea that you can have venues and activities where social closeness is integral to the very nature of what is going on at the same time as “social distancing” is contradictory nonsense.

Why? It's not a binary on/off switch.

The shape of what's coming, internationally, is, I think, becoming clear. In economic terms, we are going to see neither a 'V' nor a 'U' nor an 'L' shaped recession. Instead, the profile going to be something like an 'L' initially but with the bottom glyph gradually turning upwards in a slow, incremental recovery. It will probably take some years before economies are back to pre-Covid-19 levels, even if a vaccine becomes widely available some time next year..

On a sector level, we are going to see a very mixed picture. Factories will largely re-open, provided they are making things which are still in demand. Offices will partially return to semi-normal with social distancing and other precautions in place, but with many or most workers still working from home. Retail - or the bit of it which survives - is going to run at reduced capacity, with social distancing precautions in place for quite a while. Schools will reopen tentatively. Universities, hotels, restaurants, pubs, theatres, concert halls, airlines, civil aviation manufacturing are completely stuffed. Non-Covid healthcare will stutter back into life but at reduced capacity.
    If social distancing is maintained as a policy then all forms of social closeness and intimacy and the activities by which humans express and show and enjoy this will effectively be banned or impossible. This is pretty much every form of human activity save for that work which can be done from home or while tooled up in protective gear

This is not an economic issue fundamentally but about how we want to live.

Pretending that lockdown can be lifted and these activities can continue “with social distancing measures” in place is a big fat lie.

A life, a society where can there be no social closeness is unbearable, to me anyway. And a huge overreaction. Societies have lived with contagious and deadly diseases before without closing down everything in sight for months or years on end.

A modest proposal while we wait for solutions:

I Have a “Quarantine Bubble” With People Outside My House. You Should Too.
    We put a lot of thought into doing this responsibly. It makes me feel like I can live this way for a lot longer.
    https://slate.com/human-interest/2020/05/why-i-decided-to-join-a-quarantine-bubble-and-you-should-too.html

I absolutely agree with Cyclefree that the biggest cost of lockdown and social distancing are not economic, but human. Because belonging, connectedness, love - whatever you want to call it - is THE most important human need. It was the one thing Maslow got wrong in his hierarchy: it comes before physiological needs, because our evolution as sentient beings capable of speech has required newborns to create that connectedness with their mothers in order to survive, period. Without the strength of the need for connectedness, we don't even get as far as physiological needs.

But the Quarantine bubble with a small group of non-household members is a good idea. How many people can we truly have intimate relationships with that engender the strongest levels of connectedness?

Dunbar numbers suggest that 3-5 is the range for how many can be our very closest friends, our clique. This might be a good place to start with the quarantine bubble, and expand out from there. Of course, within the household unit, each person will have a different clique, even if there is some overlap, and those in the quarantine bubble from outside will have clique members neither in that bubble nor in their household. So I don't think everyone in a household could all jump from lockdown to Quarantine Bubble for all your clique members in one go, but perhaps slowly expand it as the situation progresses.

And this expansion could continue. 12-15 is the deep trust number or sympathy group, which is the number of people from whom you can accept a small amount of betrayal without severing ties. That would be the next level but by this stage, there would not be many degrees of separation between everyone in the population.

FWIW, the other Dunbar numbers are:
    50, the typical overnight camp size among traditional hunter-gatherers or the familial grouping, the band
    150, the the number of people for whom you can know something about them and their capabilities, i.e. for whom you can manage expectations = the friendship group. Dunbar's original research
    500, the number of people with whom we can remain nodding acquaintances = the tribe
    1500, the number of people for whom we can put a name to the face = the community. This is probably the underlying reason why army units and business divisions tend to be this size.
    That's interesting. I've never heard of this Dunbar chap.

However, I've been familiar with sociologically-derived and research based numbers very close to those for organising voluntary groups since at least the early 1980s.

The idea being, with a bit of variation in the larger groups:

3-6 family size group of bosom buddies to spend time with regularly.
    12-16 people seen regularly (compare to a football or rugby team).
    30-60s group where relationships become more functional.
    80-120 size able to support a full-time leader, and perhaps a building.
    400-600 and 1500+. Larger sizes for rarer gatherings.

There are a lot of eg churches that have been using those insights since that time. Part from theoretical work, part from experience in previous decades.

I'm sure there must be even earlier work - as with many things, much of it comes from marginal movements observed by people out of their normal environments.

Socky said:

I would argue that the unflinching right wingers (I probably don't need to name them) are not what I would regard as proper Tories. They are more Brexit Party/UKIP or possibly BNP in their leanings.

I understand that the BNP felt they were "the only true socialist party in the UK". Their policies that I am aware of struck me a more old Labour than anything a right wing party would support.

UKIP were kind of single issue - a bit like the SNP.
    The BNP were "national socialists" with overtly racist and socially conservative views. The only real difference to UKIP was the "overtly" bit and the fact that UKIP did not espouse nationalisation and its membership generally wore blazers or tweed jackets.

This is not a pro Tory site.

It is run by a LD and the last survey of how PBers voted was after the 2015 general election and showed PBers voted Tory or Labour in about the same proportion as nationally but there were more LD PBers than nationally and fewer UKIP voting PBers than nationally
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited May 2020

Starmer has certainly started by chipping away at the Tories' lead at a fair pace. In the last 3 polls published (Opinium, Redfield/Wilton and YouGov), the Tory lead averages 14%. The same three firms were the only ones to publish polls with fieldwork in the week before Starmer became leader, and a that point the three showed an average lead of 22.3%.

Now some of that narrowing may not all be down to Starmer upping Labour's game. Some I think is just be down to an unwinding of the mood of early April when the instinct was to suspend disbelief and "rally round the government in a moment of national crisis". However, that shouldn't reassure the Conservatives because it suggests their polling boost was artificial and will unwind further as we go further towards resuming normal business.
    The polls now are marginally better for the Tories than they were in the days before Decembers election

How do opposition parties with a leader that is quitting/without a leader normally poll?
This discussion has been closed.