Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Starmer’s ratings are generally getting better as the number o

Comments

• Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited May 2020

HYUFD said:

Mr. Eagles, it's almost as if Boris Johnson is unfit to be in the Cabinet.

He is unfit to hold a minor role in a District Council. Even that he would make a hash of.
    44% of British voters voted for Boris to be PM, that is the only qualification he needs
    Is that all? Embarrassing.
    If you find the concept of needing to win the most votes embarrassing, then no wonder your lot are out of power...
    I know right, only 44% when up against Corbyn as well. Really embarrassing, although still rather funny.
    Highest share of the vote for any party since Margaret Thatcher's first victory in 1979.

I'm never going to be any less than over the moon at that one :smile:

Still, you ditched the minibus party for a regional one, so at least you're making progress...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965

Sky reporting "crowds" at Brighton beach - all looks completely socially distanced.

Even the Mail struggling to find people aren't sensibly enjoying the sunshine. Lucky bastards.
    1500mm lens from 1 mile away will fix that, by making people 50 feet apart look like they are standing on each other.
    ISS found not to be socially distancing from the moon.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2020
    Well, I didn't watch PMQs but I did hear some extracts on the World at One.

FWIW I thought Sir Keir sounded dreadful. Maybe it's just me, but I find his intonation rather odd, and his so-called 'forensic' questions - at least those played on the programme - seem to comprise almost entirely of a rather laboured (no pun intended!) attempt to create a 'gotcha' by having a researcher trawl through government documents and statements in order to find things which can be quoted as inconsistencies. To me they just come across as nit-picking quibbles on phrases quoted out of context, and in any case who cares if there are inconsistencies in a fast-changing situation?

As for Boris, well he was Boris as usual. I said a couple of weeks ago that I thought he'd not bother to engage with Sir Keir's lawyerly arguments, and simply bluster his way through. That's what he did. It works OK.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Bye bye Northern Ireland in the long term.
    Good.
    So I'll put you down as one of the site's lefties, then.
    Only traitors want to see the breakup of the UK because lefties hate the UK.
    I don't hate the UK, I just think its served its purpose and should fade into the history books like Empire did.
    That would look nice on the side of a bus.
    My views on the UK predate the EU referendum. I supported Yes in 2014.

I'm also a republican and an atheist. I want to see the Church and Monarchy both removed too. Does that need to go on a bus?
    I guess that puts you out of alignment with many, though certainly not all English nationalists. Probably puts you in with a lot of contrarian pub bores who think that their "philosophy" makes them look intelligent, when in reality it has the opposite effect. Very similar to one Donald Trump in fact. How is the hydroxychloroquine dose going?
    Shows how little you know.

Donald Trump disgusts me, I have nothing to do with him and hopes he loses.
    So you have said, but your stated views are so aligned that it seems a little hard to believe, unless you are just confused, which is a lot more possible.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,520
    Pulpstar said:

Sky reporting "crowds" at Brighton beach - all looks completely socially distanced.

Even the Mail struggling to find people aren't sensibly enjoying the sunshine. Lucky bastards.
    1500mm lens from 1 mile away will fix that, by making people 50 feet apart look like they are standing on each other.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Time to drink coffee in the sunshine

Later peeps! :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.

Good.
    I don't hate the UK, I just think its served its purpose and should fade into the history books like Empire did.
    The quote would be "Let's ditch N Ireland and Scotland and spend the £350bn saved on our NHS"

It would probably work :open_mouth:
    You would also lose the North Sea oil
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668

Dreadful performance by Johnson. The bluster worked against Corbyn but Starmer is so pin point precise Johnson looks exposed.

Did you watch a different PMQs?

The PB Tory brigade have assured us that Johnson bestrode the Commons stage like a Swiftian Gulliver clearing all before him whilst some faded grey bloke mumbled questions that everyone ignored...
    Obviously I'm just a brainwashed leftie
    Don't let that put you off. We welcome all sorts here, even brainwashed lefties ;)
    I feel it my responsibility to try and add some balance to what is a very pro-Tory site. Nothing wrong with that but that is evidently the case.
    I do not think that the site is pro-Tory or inhabited by overwhelming numbers of Tories, but the unflinching loyalty of the PB Tories and their almost Orwellian denials of reality skew the feel of the debate. I think they are a minority, but a very vocal one.
    I would argue that the unflinching right wingers (I probably don't need to name them) are not what I would regard as proper Tories. They are more Brexit Party/UKIP or possibly BNP in their leanings. They will argue that they represent the modern Tory Party, which is a very narrow selection of views compared to the old version of the party. Eventually though, just like the Corbynites that took over Labour they will be ousted when people realise they are a bunch of fuckwits. At least that is what I hope.
    I think the only one that matches that description is HYUFD.

I view myself as unique and not "proper" anything.
    I'd agree with that. I think of you as a Tory, but not one that blindly follows like a football team and you certainly have some views that don't fit in the stereotypical mode (Unionism/Religion/etc) and it is a pleasure to argue with you. In fact when (in my opinion) you do seem to toe the line against what I consider the evidence (what could I mean?) I am disappointed, but then I am not biased at all of course (cough).
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Gate, hope your exam went well.
  • Options
    rjkrjk Posts: 66

rjk said:

Boris seems to be edging closer to the winning strategy: assert control over the situation with an effective system of testing and tracing, sufficient to restore public confidence in the safety of public spaces. There's still nothing on the quarantine measures for those who test positive, but those empty Nightingale hospitals could really come in handy for this.

If the system works, normal life could resume faster than many are assuming. There's no need for a trade-off between safety and economic activity if we're tracking down and quarantining the infected faster than they can infect others. It's also a much simpler story for the government, much better than arcane rules about whether you can meet your great-uncle in a park if it's a Tuesday and it's raining.

It all comes down to the delivery. Can they do it? I say this as a Boris-skeptic who would nevertheless very much like to see him succeed at this, because right now it's in the country's interest that he do so.

He needs the mass antibody test promised weeks ago. The current options track and trace one day ok, get the virus the next. Limited value and Johnson can't keep the economy shut much longer in a vain wait for his game-changer.

He is probably helped in his stalling tactics by the sheer stupidity of the questioning by both the MSM and the opposition. Care homes are 90% private businesses, where both residents and staff have been widely regarded as getting a bum deal for a long time. There isn't much mileage there bashing the government, when most are aware it is internal management in care homes that has most to answer for.

Starmer would be better focusing on ideas to move us forward out of the current impasse but I doubt his Public Unions bosses would allow that.
    I'm not sure that Johnson has much choice. The current situation is terrible, but the alternatives aren't great either. If he announced an end to the lockdown tomorrow, I'm sure there would be a bounce in activity, but it would be nothing like a return to normal. It'd be a return to early March, with the decisions about cancelling events and setting social distancing rules pushed back into the hands of private companies and local councils. Right now, the Premier League can't figure out a safe way for 22 young men to run around a pitch for 90 minutes and most other organisations aren't going to do any better.

I agree that Starmer should be focusing on this too. The dust is beginning to clear, and soon it will be obvious if the UK is substantially behind other countries in both formally ending the lockdown and in inspiring enough public confidence that people and organisations actually start getting back to normal.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Pulpstar said:

wow, if you didn't know that the ISS was orbitting the Earth, that would be very deceiving.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.
    d
    Good.

I'm also a republican and an atheist. I want to see the Church and Monarchy both removed too. Does that need to go on a bus?
    I guess that puts you out of alignment with many, though certainly not all English nationalists. Probably puts you in with a lot of contrarian pub bores who think that their "philosophy" makes them look intelligent, when in reality it has the opposite effect. Very similar to one Donald Trump in fact. How is the hydroxychloroquine dose going?

So you have said, but your stated views are so aligned that it seems a little hard to believe, unless you are just confused, which is a lot more possible.
    How are my views aligned? Please explain.

Immigration: I am very pro-immigration and think we should have a more liberal migration system than we already have applied worldwide.
    Race: I am extremely anti-racism and think it is abhorent to treat anyone differently because of their race.
    Law: I believe in the rule of law and Trump should have been impeached.
    Religion: I believe we should treat all religions the same. I see no difference between Christianity and Islam.
    Voting: I believe it is right that everyone must have a right to vote on the laws that apply to them and am disgusted by the measures the GOP is applying to discourage voting.

My views couldn't be further than Trumps on any of the areas that matter.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Pulpstar said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMiKyfd6hA0
  • Options
    LOL after Sky and people here ranting about how Boris had sold out Northern Ireland we now have the DUP coming out welcoming the government's NI statement today.

Oh well, can't have it all. :blush:
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,476
    edited May 2020
    deleted
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508

Socky said:

I am not a Unionist.. I have no opinion one way or another, The times wasn't very kind about the sainted Nicola and her handling of Scottish matters. Sooner or later questions will be asked.. and they are starting to be asked.

There seems to be a contradiction here: The outcomes in Scotland versus England seem broadly similar, yet the same people who claim that Boris will have to resign in disgrace for his handling of the epidemic, say Sturgeon has been made stronger.

This does not make sense.
    Without commenting either way on the Scottish government’s performance, I note that could easily be reconciled by noting that the lamentable failings in the initial decision-making at a UK-wide level were the responsibility of Boris Johnson.
    Health is devolved. The lockdown decisions are devolved. What isn't devolved is external borders, and there, I agree the UK government has fallen short.

Sturgeon had "advanced warning" of the consequences of a super spreader event after the NIKE conference in Edinburgh (as did PHE which were in the loop) - which no doubt will feature prominently in the Inquiry.

One thing she is doing is being "mother of the nation" fronting all the press conferences (which she does well) something Boris conspicuously hasn't (and when he did, didn't do as well).
    Faint praise is still praise. And coming from a rampant cyberbritnat like Carlotta it sounds like a megaphone.

Nicola 7 - Boris 0
    I don't think anyone has denied that Nicola is a talented politician - I've said it many times.
    Really? Weren't you sneering about how unlikely it was that a diddy politician like Sturgeon from a diddy country like Scotland would be offered a UN post? If I misread your tone or the point you were attempting to make, apologies.
    No. I was saying she won't be offered a position, because I don't think she will be. I think her tenure as FM will end rather ignominiously (sadly) and for that reason she won't be taking the Barak/Blair/Clooney route to being one of those international people that fly around the world telling in the cause of low carbon/world peace etc. The insult you inferred to Nicola personally, and Scotland generally, is entirely on you - unsurprisingly...
    I did offer an apology in advance.
    Thanks for the 'clarification', even if it's in the standard aggressively whiny form.
    Apology accepted. :blush:
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

It works for which audience? Will Conservative backbenchers be satisfied with the Prime Minister's performance? Even more importantly, will Boris?

I'd have thought Yes, Mostly to the first question, and Yes to the second.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070
    No new cases down here in the last 24 hours.

Time for a pint in the sunshine?
  • Options
    Regarding Starmer he's got a very easy ride at PMQs at the minute. He can with hindsight criticise anything he wants to criticise while having offered no alternatives.

He can with hindsight harp back to advice in March while having been able to say nothing on the matter in March himself.

He's got a blank sheet of paper at the minute. That won't be true forever.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    MPs have just voted 350:258 in favour of abolishing the virtual parliament on the June 2nd.
  • Options

MPs have just voted 350:258 in favour of abolishing the virtual parliament on the June 2nd.

Inevitable.

Seen a lot of people saying on Facebook how can children go back to school if MPs won't go to work.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,235
    edited May 2020
    HYUFD said:
    'capital punishment has been delivered remotely'

Was it a drone or was 2200v zapped through the guy's mouse?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

Inevitable.

Seen a lot of people saying on Facebook how can children go back to school if MPs won't go to work.
    It's poor logic. MPs can work remotely; young children need to be taught in person.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

LOL after Sky and people here ranting about how Boris had sold out Northern Ireland we now have the DUP coming out welcoming the government's NI statement today.

Can you unburn a bridge? Even a virtual one to NI? I am not sure. The ineptitude in looking after their own interests in the last Parliament by the DUP was truly staggering and they have lost their moment in the sun when anyone cares what they think.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272

Regarding Starmer he's got a very easy ride at PMQs at the minute. He can with hindsight criticise anything he wants to criticise while having offered no alternatives.

He can with hindsight harp back to advice in March while having been able to say nothing on the matter in March himself.

He's got a blank sheet of paper at the minute. That won't be true forever.

The role of LOTO does not require the incumbent to 'advise' the government.

Starmer can roll with it for a few years before he needs to think of anything concrete.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

FWIW I thought Sir Keir sounded dreadful. Maybe it's just me, but I find his intonation rather odd, and his so-called 'forensic' questions -.

I find the initial thought that the adjective "forensic" is in any way attractive for a potential leader of the nation to be well interesting.

Its more something you want from a "completer-finisher".

Boris is a "shaper".
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    I'm not sure he's right.
    I was unsure of the updating lag in Sweden, so I kept a record of the deaths-per-day for a few days (including over the weekend). Over the past six days, the seven-day moving average for deaths in Sweden against date has looked like this (and yes, I've done red-orange-yellow-green-blue-purple for the graphs for the days in order).
    The past seven days (for each date) are lightly dashed; the seven days prior to that are heavily dashed, before that, it's solid lines.

They may be decreasing, but to me, it looks more like a plateau at 70-75 deaths per day (equivalent to 465-500 deaths per day in UK terms)
  • Options
    Still a depressingly high number of deaths, clearly driven by the ongoing disaster in care homes. Ed Conway was pointing out yesterday that in England more than 10% of all residents in care homes have died since the lock down started. Our hospital figures are following the European pattern but care homes are keeping our numbers high.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2020
    Slightly concerned about all these people enjoying the sunshine today. I presume as it is a weekday, most will be furloughed workers. I doubt they have realised yet that in reality there is no job for them to go back to. I think a lot of people will really enjoy a 3 month paid vacation, spend their furloughed wages as if they are going back in September, then get a very nasty shock.

I envision a lot of stories of how people never knew, never realised, made no preparations that they might be needing to find new employment and now have no money.

I think if i was in their position, i would definitely be looking to something loke the fruit picking to try and earn some cash so had a buffer come September.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Can you unburn a bridge? Even a virtual one to NI? I am not sure. The ineptitude in looking after their own interests in the last Parliament by the DUP was truly staggering and they have lost their moment in the sun when anyone cares what they think.
    You can build one!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Still a depressingly high number of deaths, clearly driven by the ongoing disaster in care homes. Ed Conway was pointing out yesterday that in England more than 10% of all residents in care homes have died since the lock down started. Our hospital figures are following the European pattern but care homes are keeping our numbers high.
    Most of those deaths are old, very misleading.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,093
    TGOHF666 said:

Boris is a "shaper".

What "shape" is the garden bridge?
  • Options

DavidL said:

What do you mean by "most"?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    DUP: We are happy with the government
    Tory voters: We are happy with the government
    EU Commission: We are happy with the government

Scott: Look at the bad job the government is doing, it rolled over.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

Inevitable.

Anyone would think that people didn't want their kids to back to school, they must be driving some parents barmy by now, the schools are not closed, children of key workers and some classed as vulnerable have been there all the time.

There's a lot more to an MPs work than shouting and bawling in the House of Commons, it's amazing how many people think that when Parliament is in recess, the politicians are lounging around on holiday.

As regards Starmer, he's not exactly Mr Charisma I see him as a Neil Kinnock type character who will do all the hard work cleaning up the Labour Party, ready for his successor to win power (of course in the case of Kinnock, his successor died so it was his successor's successor Blair who got the benefit).

I think that the very best Starmer can do is reduce the Tories to a minority government in 2024, but that would be quite an achievement, the Tories would soon get rid of Boris if he didn't look like a winner.

• Options

HYUFD said:

He is unfit to hold a minor role in a District Council. Even that he would make a hash of.
    44% of British voters voted for Boris to be PM, that is the only qualification he needs
    Is that all? Embarrassing.
    If you find the concept of needing to win the most votes embarrassing, then no wonder your lot are out of power...
    I know right, only 44% when up against Corbyn as well. Really embarrassing, although still rather funny.
    sent you another PM
  • Options
    rjk said:

rjk said:

Boris seems to be edging closer to the winning strategy: assert control over the situation with an effective system of testing and tracing, sufficient to restore public confidence in the safety of public spaces. There's still nothing on the quarantine measures for those who test positive, but those empty Nightingale hospitals could really come in handy for this.

If the system works, normal life could resume faster than many are assuming. There's no need for a trade-off between safety and economic activity if we're tracking down and quarantining the infected faster than they can infect others. It's also a much simpler story for the government, much better than arcane rules about whether you can meet your great-uncle in a park if it's a Tuesday and it's raining.

It all comes down to the delivery. Can they do it? I say this as a Boris-skeptic who would nevertheless very much like to see him succeed at this, because right now it's in the country's interest that he do so.

He needs the mass antibody test promised weeks ago. The current options track and trace one day ok, get the virus the next. Limited value and Johnson can't keep the economy shut much longer in a vain wait for his game-changer.

He is probably helped in his stalling tactics by the sheer stupidity of the questioning by both the MSM and the opposition. Care homes are 90% private businesses, where both residents and staff have been widely regarded as getting a bum deal for a long time. There isn't much mileage there bashing the government, when most are aware it is internal management in care homes that has most to answer for.

Starmer would be better focusing on ideas to move us forward out of the current impasse but I doubt his Public Unions bosses would allow that.
    I'm not sure that Johnson has much choice. The current situation is terrible, but the alternatives aren't great either. If he announced an end to the lockdown tomorrow, I'm sure there would be a bounce in activity, but it would be nothing like a return to normal. It'd be a return to early March, with the decisions about cancelling events and setting social distancing rules pushed back into the hands of private companies and local councils. Right now, the Premier League can't figure out a safe way for 22 young men to run around a pitch for 90 minutes and most other organisations aren't going to do any better.

I agree that Starmer should be focusing on this too. The dust is beginning to clear, and soon it will be obvious if the UK is substantially behind other countries in both formally ending the lockdown and in inspiring enough public confidence that people and organisations actually start getting back to normal.
    I think he does, there is much Small Business locked shut as non-essential where the risk is small. We know now much more than in March who the virus get's in overwhelming multiples to who is at micro risk.

The Premier League should just get on with it rather than virtue signalling, or not bother. They can test and test again as needed every individual involved.

Yes even the French are getting things done, while Mr Bumble leaves us stuck in limbo. Too right that's where Starmer's focus should be. It would be remembered by the silent majority. Hostages to Public Unions will never win a UK Election.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

10% sounds awful but a significant percentage die every month in normal circumstances.
  • Options

And now let the real PMQs begin... :wink:
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

FWIW I thought Sir Keir sounded dreadful. Maybe it's just me, but I find his intonation rather odd, and his so-called 'forensic' questions -.

I find the initial thought that the adjective "forensic" is in any way attractive for a potential leader of the nation to be well interesting.

Boris is a "shaper".
    The only things Boris Johnson has "shaped" since he came into office was a massive cock and balls. He won an election against a man who was an even bigger calamity than he is. It does not make him a leader, except of the supremely gullible.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272
    Scott_xP said:

TGOHF666 said:

Boris is a "shaper".

The shape of £53m in £5 notes wedges?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Urquhart, I had to go to the shop today and it had the longest queue I'd seen for a while (not huge, but still). Girl inside had a mask on, most didn't.
  • Options

DavidL said:

10% sounds awful but a significant percentage die every month in normal circumstances.
    I know of two cases now where the elderly person concerned has just 'given up' with no visitors etc.
  • Options

DavidL said:

According to Conway there was something like 40K excess deaths in care homes over that period, only a proportion of which were attributed to CV.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

TGOHF666 said:

Boris is a "shaper".

It is a big beautiful bridge. You would be able to appreciate its shape better if we hadn't installed the latest in stealth technology to protect it against Russian spies...
  • Options
    Is parliament returning to 'normal' or is there still the severe member limit ?
  • Options

It works for which audience? Will Conservative backbenchers be satisfied with the Prime Minister's performance? Even more importantly, will Boris?

I'd have thought Yes, Mostly to the first question, and Yes to the second.
    They both currently have very low expectations because a)they have been used to facing Corbyn, b) they are at the beginning of a parliament, and c) they have a big majority. It won't be long before a new awkward squad forms. Johnson truly is hopeless by almost all measures and many Tory MPs already know this. They are biding their time, for the time being.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

More than half, probably significantly so. Care home deaths peaked April 12th, 4 days after the hospital peak. Hospital deaths peaked at 887, down to 150 or so in England last week, which is the last time I looked, actual date of death, not the recording of death. Conway is a clown as well, like all the political reporters on SKY.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    It could just be because I'm a horrid old Tory, but I am getting a bit sick of turning on the telly or radio to be mercilessly advertised to about how nice everyone (mostly banks) is being to me at this tough tough time. Pull the other one HSBC. Someone needs a bit of get up and go about how we're going to get out of this and get things moving again*. Oozing sympathy at us like a sack of damp tapioca only gets us so far.

*apologies, horribly tortured metaphor.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

TGOHF666 said:

Boris is a "shaper".
    The only things Boris Johnson has "shaped" since he came into office was a massive cock and balls. He won an election against a man who was an even bigger calamity than he is. It does not make him a leader, except of the supremely gullible.
    He's shaped parliamentary arithmetic.

And Brexit.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,918
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804

DavidL said:

I know of two cases now where the elderly person concerned has just 'given up' with no visitors etc.
    Away from coronavirus excess mortality for someone whose spouse died is significant (30%-90% increase in first 3 months in first paper on google search, then dropping to 15%).

It would not be surprising to see something similar in those who are suddenly extremely isolated thru the lockdown.
  • Options
    I'm impressed with how organised my daughter's school is being with regards to back to school arrangements. Clearly done a lot of planning.

Got a detailed email earlier with plans including what they want us to do at pick up and drop off to ensure social distancing which was my biggest worry (crowds of parents). Also making it clear they will respect the decision of anyone who chooses not to return to school which I feel is appropriate.

They asked all parents to respond YES or NO with their child's name to confirm whether she would be returning or not. Didn't hesitate to say yes.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Boris is a "shaper".

And Brexit.

I think both had more to do with the even greater ineptitude of the idiot formally known as the Leader of the Opposition
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347
    DavidL said:

Im not sure that is correct:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-casualties/england-reports-far-fewer-covid-19-deaths-in-care-homes-than-european-states-idUSKBN22V1VI
  • Options

Genuinely think Johnson might be worse than May at PMQs. Who said he was a good orator, he can hardly speak clearly.

It depends what you mean. His standard approach is chaotic and entertaining but not particularly clear. It works better in some situations than others. He has had some success in shorter, scripted statements as well. But he's not generally easy to follow or precise in language when speaking off the cuff.
  • Options

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Boris is a "shaper".

And Brexit.

I think both had more to do with the even greater ineptitude of the idiot formally known as the Leader of the Opposition
    John Bercow ?
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    kle4 said:
    I think Lucas is spot on on this one. Plenty of sycophantic Tories and Blackford's questions were shown up even more than normal without all his SNP MPs on hand.
    The remote or otherwise questions didn't change the quality.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Dreadful performance by Johnson. The bluster worked against Corbyn but Starmer is so pin point precise Johnson looks exposed.

Did you watch a different PMQs?

The PB Tory brigade have assured us that Johnson bestrode the Commons stage like a Swiftian Gulliver clearing all before him whilst some faded grey bloke mumbled questions that everyone ignored...
    I think you are overstating the reactions on here just a tiny bit.
    It's the standard approach of extrapolating the most extreme example as being representative. We all do it sometimes and we're all unfair when we do.
  • Options

I'm impressed with how organised my daughter's school is being with regards to back to school arrangements. Clearly done a lot of planning.

Got a detailed email earlier with plans including what they want us to do at pick up and drop off to ensure social distancing which was my biggest worry (crowds of parents). Also making it clear they will respect the decision of anyone who chooses not to return to school which I feel is appropriate.

They asked all parents to respond YES or NO with their child's name to confirm whether she would be returning or not. Didn't hesitate to say yes.

Got the same from my youngest daughters school a couple of days ago.

Eldest daughter is in class that will continue to be SFH.
  • Options

FWIW I thought Sir Keir sounded dreadful. Maybe it's just me, but I find his intonation rather odd, and his so-called 'forensic' questions - at least those played on the programme - seem to comprise almost entirely of a rather laboured (no pun intended!) attempt to create a 'gotcha' by having a researcher trawl through government documents and statements in order to find things which can be quoted as inconsistencies. To me they just come across as nit-picking quibbles on phrases quoted out of context, and in any case who cares if there are inconsistencies in a fast-changing situation?

As for Boris, well he was Boris as usual. I said a couple of weeks ago that I thought he'd not bother to engage with Sir Keir's lawyerly arguments, and simply bluster his way through. That's what he did. It works OK.

I agree in the main. What I will say Starmer came over lot better on the TV than just listening on the Radio. He sounded slow and dull on the Radio but there was some body language there that made it work when you watch.

In terms of broader appeal outside the MSM and the modern Labour base he will have to at least mix up his lines of questioning much more. In my opinion he has taken totally the wrong line.
  • Options

That sounds like a good approach from your school.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    Is that supposed to make Starmer look like a villain?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I’m a centrist blairite scumbag

I am NOT a Tory, I have a heart and don't lie.
    You can be an honest tory and have a heart, you just need to obtain a dispensation from central office.
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

More than half, probably significantly so. Care home deaths peaked April 12th, 4 days after the hospital peak. Hospital deaths peaked at 887, down to 150 or so in England last week, which is the last time I looked, actual date of death, not the recording of death. Conway is a clown as well, like all the political reporters on SKY.
    hospital deaths in England today stand at 166, down on yesterday and on a week ago (244)
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited May 2020

Slightly concerned about all these people enjoying the sunshine today. I presume as it is a weekday, most will be furloughed workers. I doubt they have realised yet that in reality there is no job for them to go back to. I think a lot of people will really enjoy a 3 month paid vacation, spend their furloughed wages as if they are going back in September, then get a very nasty shock.

I envision a lot of stories of how people never knew, never realised, made no preparations that they might be needing to find new employment and now have no money.

I think if i was in their position, i would definitely be looking to something loke the fruit picking to try and earn some cash so had a buffer come September.

I'm not sure which is the most breathtaking, the cynicism of the government or the delusion of the people they are effectively deceiving.

• Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:
    Is that supposed to make Starmer look like a villain?
    A forensic villian ?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,386
    Pulpstar said:

Is parliament returning to 'normal' or is there still the severe member limit ?

I think the vote was on ending the hybrid arrangements with zoom and other remote options. Last I heard was that Mr Speaker would suspend sittings if he felt they were unsafe (presumably due to physical distancing), so perhaps there is some brinksmanship over the next week and a half.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Im not sure that is correct:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-casualties/england-reports-far-fewer-covid-19-deaths-in-care-homes-than-european-states-idUSKBN22V1VI
    That's dealing with deaths allocated to CV. My figures are excess deaths or total deaths for Care homes which show a very different picture.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    @Philip_Thompson ~ Voluntary "physical" return to school with the same studyload expected for students (& parents) to be completed who wish to SFH could be a way to square the circle for the moment.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Scott_xP said:
    Heh.
    d
    Good.

How are my views aligned? Please explain.

Immigration: I am very pro-immigration and think we should have a more liberal migration system than we already have applied worldwide.
    Race: I am extremely anti-racism and think it is abhorent to treat anyone differently because of their race.
    Law: I believe in the rule of law and Trump should have been impeached.
    Religion: I believe we should treat all religions the same. I see no difference between Christianity and Islam.
    Voting: I believe it is right that everyone must have a right to vote on the laws that apply to them and am disgusted by the measures the GOP is applying to discourage voting.

My views couldn't be further than Trumps on any of the areas that matter.
    @Nigel_Foremain since you're still posting but haven't replied do you care to substantiate your ludicrous comparison of my libertarian views with Trump? When I've clearly denounced Trump and his illiberal policies that go completely against my libertarian principles.

Or were you just trolling? Which wouldn't surprise me.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

It is, (or rather they voted for the party led by him but we all know that distinction) but to be fair Nigel Foremain was referring to fitness to hold the role not qualification for the role, the former wholly determined by opinion.
  • Options
    Easy. It matches what the government said and even the DUP have said they're happy with this.

What's the issue? See a load of permanent government critics getting their knickers in the twist but when the government's voters, the DUP on one extreme and the EU Commission on the other are all happy with this then it seems like a well worked out proposal to me!
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,593

It could just be because I'm a horrid old Tory, but I am getting a bit sick of turning on the telly or radio to be mercilessly advertised to about how nice everyone (mostly banks) is being to me at this tough tough time. Pull the other one HSBC. Someone needs a bit of get up and go about how we're going to get out of this and get things moving again*. Oozing sympathy at us like a sack of damp tapioca only gets us so far.

There are two really special things banks could do for Joe Public. Have branches in small towns where they have closed (shared facility?), and have interest rates where there is a credible mathematical relation between the rate at which they borrow and the rate at which they lend.

As both of these have been the case within recorded history it should not be beyond the wit of man to do it again.

• Options

Easy. It matches what the government said and even the DUP have said they're happy with this.

What's the issue? See a load of permanent government critics getting their knickers in the twist but when the government's voters, the DUP on one extreme and the EU Commission on the other are all happy with this then it seems like a well worked out proposal to me!
    It matches what the Government said? They said no checks, there are now checks.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:
    I think Lucas is spot on on this one. Plenty of sycophantic Tories and Blackford's questions were shown up even more than normal without all his SNP MPs on hand.
    The remote or otherwise questions didn't change the quality.
    Parliament being properly back would affect more than PMQs. I dont doubt remoteness is not affecting PMQs in any meaningful way. But a desire to protect Boris at PMQs even if the case would not by itself make any other arguments regarding parliamentary operation untrue, which is her implication which I'd say was an exaggeration.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604

And now let the real PMQs begin... :wink:
    That is pretty revealing coming from a nailed on Conservative. Presumably the Conservatives in Government share your motivation and are thus also influenced by considerations of political advantage on this. That is, the importance of trying to give Johnson a leg up at PMQs outweighs considerations of safe distancing in a HoC which is already functioning adequately.

And if so, then why should we not assume that political imperatives are also motivating other decisions in response to the virus? For example, I find it credible that the political imperative to avoid being seen to come out of lockdown far later than other countries also had a bearing on the abortive attempt to force pupils back into schools prematurely.
  • Options

The DUP said they were happy with something? Is delirium a symptom of Covid-19?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Philip_Thompson ~ Voluntary "physical" return to school with the same studyload expected for students (& parents) to be completed who wish to SFH could be a way to square the circle for the moment.

From talking with the administrators at my youngest school - they see the return before the summer break as essentially voluntary. Hence offering yes/no.
  • Options

Yes it does, as even the DUP have confirmed.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

I agree in the main. What I will say Starmer came over lot better on the TV than just listening on the Radio. He sounded slow and dull on the Radio but there was some body language there that made it work when you watch.

In terms of broader appeal outside the MSM and the modern Labour base he will have to at least mix up his lines of questioning much more. In my opinion he has taken totally the wrong line.
    He needs to improve his delivery, he sounds so dull. He is clearly spending all week researching Government documents from 2 months ago looking for a gotcha moment and revising what he is going to ask. Perhaps that has stopped him from thinking on his feet or even listening to what the answer was as demonstrated with the tracing app question.
  • Options
    Have you read the article ?

"The minimal nature of the process set out by Gove will provide reassurance to some business and political leaders opposed to the checks, primarily the Democratic Unionist party, but is likely to spark a fresh row over the Irish border with the EU.

According to the statement, there will be no customs fees payable on goods remaining in the region.

Neither will there be security certificates for goods going in either direction. These are the so-called exit and entry declaration forms that former Brexit secretary Stephen Barclay revealed would be needed for goods traded in both directions."

Its about disease control than customs.
  • Options

Can't see anywhere it says the DUP saying there would be checks.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

I think you're right. Itll be brutal and people dont accept an argument they were forewarned, even when they were.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I know, right? We're through the looking glass now.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    I see people have been tabulating right and left lists again. Not good enough - I demand full categorization with centre left, centre right, right centre left and left centre right left and so on
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited May 2020
    Missed this earlier - we might actually be back down to regular death levels by now (this was May8th)

They've added a few countries. Peru, as rumours suggested, looks like another Ecuador.

https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch/status/1263035490200158209
  • Options

Can't see anywhere it says the DUP saying there would be checks.
    The Guardian have said checks not the government. The government said processes for food.

From your link: The DUP leader, Arlene Foster, welcomed the plan, revealing discussions on agri-food had been “difficult and sensitive”.
    Also from your link: An EU spokesman said the commission welcomed the proposal and would now study it in detail.

The DUP have welcomed the plan, the Commission welcomed the plan. You're trying to beat a dead horse.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

They are disease checks for agri goods , not customs checks.

Seems sensible.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

Lucky you. My daughter's primary school has written a long and relentlessly negative list of all the ways in which coming back to school is going to be difficult, unpleasant for the children and no better than being at home anyway. It's like they are really, REALLY hoping all parents will just say no thanks and they can carry on being paid and not teaching.

Also it will only be Mon and Tues for half the class, nobody on Wednesdays and the other half for Thu and Fri. No opportunity was missed to say how hard they've all been working (despite seemingly only having started to even think about planning for a return about a fortnight ago, instead of from day 1...) or to criticise the government in not very veiled ways.

Very negative and pessimistic all round. Pretty disappointed to be honest, although my daughter is in a year which isn't going back anyway until September it seems. I feel so sorry for her, she is missing her friends a lot.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604

Absolutely. I turn over when the stream of "three cheers for the NHS, please buy from us" adverts come on. It's not just the banks, the likes of Deliveroo are just as bad. I hope ITV et al realise that they are losing viewers because of this.
This discussion has been closed.