Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » “Never again” means nothing if we recite the words while forge

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    Well the human cock fighting is back tonight....and one of the fighter has tested positive...
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354

You may be surprised that I agree with you Nick, even though I was never a fan of Corbyn. In 2015 Miliband misjudged how open many potential voters would have been to a more expansive economic offer, and ended up tying himself in knots as he insisted on the eve of the election that Labour would borrow no more than the Tories, not even on capital investment, and chose to avoid campaigning on Osborne's projection of continued welfare austerity in the second half of the decade. People didn't believe Labour anyway but it ensured that Labour was able to offer only meagre alternatives which were so timid that they failed to be meaningful.

The hard left ultras are now running our constituency on a highly factional and divisive basis, with all the communications coming our reading as though they've been drafted by Momentum Central. What annoys me most about them is that they clearly think that if you didn't sign up to the Corbyn project lock stock and barrel then you must be a closet fan Blairite fan of the likes of Liz Kendall. It's straight out of the George Bush playbook, defining everyone as either with them or against them, and it's going to be even more divisive as they take do everything they can to undermine Starmer, as they will.

Sympathies, they sound tiresome. I think it's down to the dominance of individuals locally - in my 600-member CLP we have a balance of Momentum members, cheerfully open Blairites, and who-cares members of the executive, and we never bother with factional statements or have serious disputes at all. The dominant atmosphere is of friends getting together with a broadly common cause - obviously we have differences, but we can't be bothered to obsess about them. It may help that I'm as chair perhaps the most prominent local Corbynite, but dismissive of any attempt to fight factional battles.

Broxtowe CLP, which is left-led, had much sharper debates on policy, but never personal - some centrist councillors used to worry that there would be a push to deselect them, but it never happened. I think you should seek leftist allies to achieve something similar - support policies they like, but don't waste time condemning people. Not every Momentum member is dedicated to squabbles.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Assuming the Lib Dem’s will do well just because centrists like the new Labour leader doesn’t seem well thought through. The Lib Dem’s did well when THEY had a plausible leader like Ashdown, Kennedy or Clegg. Who have they got now?

It’s not ALL about Labour

Ed Davey and almost all their top 20 target seats are London or southern Remain voting Tory seats he might appeal to
    Maybe Ashdown, Kennedy and Clegg only seemed plausible and statesmanlike because they were long term leaders doing well, and I don’t think of Davey the same as he hasn’t had the chance to get that gravitas yet.

But the point still stands, it’s not about who the labour leader is as much as it is who the Lib Dem leader is. The arrogance of labour supporters to think it’s all about them is predictablely short sighted given their obsesssion with internal wrangling.

The Lib Dem’s chose Cameron over Brown after all
    Go argue with the arithmetic!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

isam said:

Assuming the Lib Dem’s will do well just because centrists like the new Labour leader doesn’t seem well thought through. The Lib Dem’s did well when THEY had a plausible leader like Ashdown, Kennedy or Clegg. Who have they got now?

We're getting lots of threads about how well Labour are doing, considering they are going nowehere in the polls.

Fewer are the thread headers about how f*cked the LibDems appear to be. 6-7% is utter irrelelvance territory, nationally. Locally they still have a role, but that requires them to bin the EU as a way to reach out to voters.
    More chance of william binning the EU.......
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Today's Guardian coverage of the Met Police not pursuing Darren Grimes:

Yep. That's it.

Its worse that that. Carole Codswallop is basically claiming he got away with it rather than apologising.
  • Options

Well the human cock fighting is back tonight....and one of the fighter has tested positive...

My son was telling me about this event - I thought it had to be a wind up... but no.....

• Options
    edited May 2020

Choo choo choo, come on and catch corona

https://twitter.com/MerseyHack/status/1258758842680254465

It's really annoying to see this sort of thing when all sorts of other petty restrictions are still in place.

eg. If I were playing golf, for much of the time my playing partner would be little closer than the far end of that street as we managed to pull off consistently our usual trick of hitting our balls in completely different directions to where we were aiming. And even on the greens and tees we wouldn't need to be within 5 yards from each other. That's what we were doing up to 23rd March yet it's still judged beyond the pale.
    There does seem to be this weird perception that as long as you stay ~2m away you definitely can't catch it, period. But the science says that people can catch by touching infected surfaces, in Germany they contact traced a case where the only interaction that led to an infection was a person passing the salt shaker.

I was quite concerned with the footage of an old solider doing a walk down his street with everybody clapping him. That's lovely, but they were all really quite close and he is passing every single person on that street.

Have they not seen the steps most medical professions go through, now they are front line, but there is a reason they are wearing goggles, multiple sets of gloves, coveralls etc.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Today's Guardian coverage of the Met Police not pursuing Darren Grimes:

Yep. That's it.

Tomorrow's Observer coverage on pages 2, 3, 4 and 5 with Carole arguing that he's definitely guilty even though he wasn't charged, and that he's just the kid with his name on the forms covering up for the nameless evil people who put him up to it.

Next week's Observer Page 50 correction, that the previous article contained 'minor terminological inexactitudes' (in the face of a libel suit from Grimes and Banks).
  • Options

Choo choo choo, come on and catch corona

https://twitter.com/MerseyHack/status/1258758842680254465

It's really annoying to see this sort of thing when all sorts of other petty restrictions are still in place.

eg. If I were playing golf, for much of the time my playing partner would be little closer than the far end of that street as we managed to pull off consistently our usual trick of hitting our balls in completely different directions to where we were aiming. And even on the greens and tees we wouldn't need to be within 5 yards from each other. That's what we were doing up to 23rd March yet it's still judged beyond the pale.
    It doesn't matter what restrictions there are, some people will always push the boundaries in ways they think are OK or because they don't care.

Its like @isam said yesterday the speed limit is 30 so you don't do more than 40 in many places.

Wherever the line of restrictions is redrawn on Sunday some people will immediately be just on the other side of that line.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Floater said:

My son was telling me about this event - I thought it had to be a wind up... but no.....

There are 3 fight cards in 7 days, because in Florida "fighting*" is an essential service.

The thing is they made a huge deal of the fact they were going to test all the fighters and their teams, but all of them checked in days ago and they had the weigh ins and face off yesterday.

So total mockery of their "system". If it was that as they arrived, they were tested, result before they were then allowed in to the hotel, that's one thing, instead they have just spent the past few days with his guy (and I believe two other members of his team positive) in the hotel, doing media, etc.

* and that includes the pretend sort in the WWE wrestling.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

At what point do you think the English will get over WW2? I'm guessing never.
    About the same time as the Americans get over July 4th.
  • Options
    I believe one of our posters lost a parent for this very reason

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8302039/Hospitals-probed-sending-elderly-care-homes-despite-KNOWING-coronavirus.html

Throw the book at whoever did this
  • Options
    Nice to find some fellow Labour members on PB!

Personally I was far more in favour of Corbyn's policies than Corbyn himself, even though initially I was quite enthused with Corbyn. By the 2019 election my support was more as best of a bad bunch, as opposed to any real excitement.

The free broadband policy sealed it for me deep down, so incredibly misjudged.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

Dura_Ace said:

Or the Scots ever get over Bannockburn
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1259067007527419904

If this lot are opposed, you can be sure it's a good policy.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236

Be interesting to see if there's any movement from Barnier or if he goes to the wire demanding we give up our sovereign territories natural resources and sovereign right to set our own laws in which case talks may as well be abandoned.
    I thought the best negotiating policy was holding to your position down to the finishing line? That's what I learned from the Brexiteers on here anyway.

Of course interventions from the car builders and prosecco makers may not have quite the impact that they once did.
  • Options

Brexiteer takes that won't survive the pandemic: "Geography is irrelevant".

https://twitter.com/RobbieGibb/status/1259027342455967745

Oh suuuurreee because geography protected us from a Chinese virus right?

Because we're not at risk from infections if people fly from JFK right?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

Floater said:

There are 3 fight cards in 7 days, because in Florida "fighting*" is an essential service.

Test the fighters before they fight, two grown men, presumably behind closed doors.

What possible problem is there with that?

Ditto the footie.
  • Options
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Ed Davey and almost all their top 20 target seats are London or southern Remain voting Tory seats he might appeal to
    Maybe Ashdown, Kennedy and Clegg only seemed plausible and statesmanlike because they were long term leaders doing well, and I don’t think of Davey the same as he hasn’t had the chance to get that gravitas yet.

But the point still stands, it’s not about who the labour leader is as much as it is who the Lib Dem leader is. The arrogance of labour supporters to think it’s all about them is predictablely short sighted given their obsesssion with internal wrangling.

Clegg chose Cameron over Brown true but Davey would almost certainly choose Starmer over Boris now Corbyn is out the way
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Robbie Gibb should stick to what he’s good at. If anyone knows what that might be, they should tell him. But it’s a toughie.
  • Options

Be interesting to see if there's any movement from Barnier or if he goes to the wire demanding we give up our sovereign territories natural resources and sovereign right to set our own laws in which case talks may as well be abandoned.
    I thought the best negotiating policy was holding to your position down to the finishing line? That's what I learned from the Brexiteers on here anyway.

Of course interventions from the car builders and prosecco makers may not have quite the impact that they once did.
    Indeed it is. That's why it makes sense the deadline is June, that's the finishing line to get movement or we abandon talks.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Jonathan said:

Robbie Gibb should stick to what he’s good at. If anyone knows what that might be, they should tell him. But it’s a toughie.

He was good at booking Nigel Farage to appear on the BBC every 5 minutes.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    TOPPING said:

Floater said:

Test the fighters before they fight, two grown men, presumably behind closed doors.

What possible problem is there with that?

Ditto the footie.
    Erhh...in terms of the two guys going to knock lumps out of one another, I think they aren't in much danger, as young, super fit, etc.

But that isn't what has happened. 100s of people have arrived at a hotel, fighters, their teams, the staff of the company doing the event, tv, media....and they only got the result from the test last night after them all spending the past few days locked in the same hotel.

They had them facing off against one another last night.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604

https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1259067007527419904

If this lot are opposed, you can be sure it's a good policy.

That's a load of tosh and I don't believe a word of it. The trade unions pushed hard for the furlough scheme and together with Labour were pushing hard for it to be extended to fill the gaps for people who fell through the net.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Clegg chose Cameron over Brown true but Davey would almost certainly choose Starmer over Boris now Corbyn is out the way
    Clegg chose Cameron over Brown because of the votes. That will be the main determinant.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Clegg chose Cameron over Brown because of the votes. That will be the main determinant.
    Absolutely what matters is numbers of MPs. Almost everything else is secondary.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yep, I hope they never get rid of Bannockburn Day when the telly is wall-to-wall Braveheart and we Jocks throng the streets and have a mass lifting of the kilts in the direction of London. A magical tradition.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1259069087205994496

JESUS CHRIST, we just lost by the biggest margin in a 100 years, the way this lot talk would make you think we just won a landslide.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Yes but Cameron was also not going to take Britain out of the EU let alone the single market as Boris is going to do.

There is no way the LDs will prop up a Boris led government
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Yes but Cameron was also not going to take Britain out of the EU let alone the single market as Boris is going to do.

Boris is not "going to" take Britain out of the EU either.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yep, I hope they never get rid of Bannockburn Day when the telly is wall-to-wall Braveheart and we Jocks throng the streets and have a mass lifting of the kilts in the direction of London. A magical tradition.
    Nats just do that at every Yes march instead
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Topping, problem with stuff like football is that there may well be crowds congregating outside stadia or packing together elsewhere.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Indeed it is. That's why it makes sense the deadline is June, that's the finishing line to get movement or we abandon talks.
    Why do you think the EU will engage much? The UK is backtracking on what it has already signed up to and the EU has a higher priority right now. Why should 27 countries let themselves be distracted by what is now a second order problem with a negotiating partner that simultaneously wants to consume all available time in the next few months and isn't prepared even to stick to the words it signed up to last time?

As a matter of efficient time management, the EU is likely to let Britain jump off the ledge and sweep up the body parts in due course.
  • Options

So is this just a UK thing or might crafty Barnier have worked out the same cunning plan?
  • Options

Mr. Topping, problem with stuff like football is that there may well be crowds congregating outside stadia or packing together elsewhere.

So tell them not to. We're not an unthinking dictatorship, we tell people what to do and expect people by and large to act like grown ups.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Boris is not "going to" take Britain out of the EU either.
    Well yes he already has done but by the next general election he will have taken Britain out of the single market and customs union as well
  • Options

So is this just a UK thing or might crafty Barnier have worked out the same cunning plan?
    I think he has. That's why he won't blink until he feels its necessary.

The issue will be whether he deems it necessary or not. I'm OK either way.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, if the EU wants a deal then all it need do is revert to the position it held for years, namely that Canada's on offer, up until the point the UK agreed to it.

It's one-eyed to pretend the UK's been the only ropey party (in places it has been dubious) whereas the EU is somehow reasonable, honest, and true.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

I don't disagree with the intention but it comes down to voteshare. Although sadly I don't think the LDs will be agreeing to a coalition at any election soon.
  • Options

Why do you think the EU will engage much? The UK is backtracking on what it has already signed up to and the EU has a higher priority right now. Why should 27 countries let themselves be distracted by what is now a second order problem with a negotiating partner that simultaneously wants to consume all available time in the next few months and isn't prepared even to stick to the words it signed up to last time?

As a matter of efficient time management, the EU is likely to let Britain jump off the ledge and sweep up the body parts in due course.
    Good, that's what we want right now too. Time to get away.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

But as you and plu never tire of telling us, the Nats are not Scotland.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

https://twitter.com/evolvepolitics/status/1259069087205994496

JESUS CHRIST, we just lost by the biggest margin in a 100 years, the way this lot talk would make you think we just won a landslide.

Tbh, these people were going to say that whatever happened. Best to just ignore them, they are a Twitter irrelevance. Labour needs to learn that the voters don't give a flying fuck about what happens on twitter.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks, if the EU wants a deal then all it need do is revert to the position it held for years, namely that Canada's on offer, up until the point the UK agreed to it.

It's one-eyed to pretend the UK's been the only ropey party (in places it has been dubious) whereas the EU is somehow reasonable, honest, and true.

That is not my position. But it is Britain that wants to do a deal by the end of the year come hell or high water. It can have it fast, it can have it cheap or it can have it good. But it can't have all three.
  • Options
    And this is how you get a super spreader event...I wonder how many people during their VE day celebrations instinctively did something similar after a few sherbets?

https://twitter.com/KrmtDfrog/status/1259040362267578369?s=20
  • Options

Another one entirely happy to play ducks and drakes with my partner's life. Charming.
  • Options
    Mr. Thompson, generally I agree with that perspective. But if they get riddled with disease and then infect others, that affects far more people than themselves.

Strong guidance should be issued, with the potential for the season being curtailed if need be, will hopefully be enough.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,999
    isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

The challenge for the LDs is that they have 2 ways they can go. They can try to be all things to all people and oppose the Tories in some places and Labour in others. However, as we saw from the Coalition that risks falling apart if the LDs end up in Government with one of the main parties.

The other route is to focus on being a party for socially liberal well-to-do remainers. The benefit of this is that it can give the LDs a more solid core of seats. The downside is that there really aren't that many seats like Bath and Twickenham out there giving the LDs a maximum ceiling of 30-40 seats (LD target number 27 is Taunton Deane which voted Brexit and has a Con majority of 11,700)

Another problem for the LDs is that they are always much more vulnerable than the big 2 to the boundary changes. For example, Caithness and Fife NE are both undersized and will almost certainly be notionally "flipped" to the SNP in the coming review. Also Cumbria is only entitled to 5.5 seats so part of Farron's seat could be moved into a cross-county Morecambe Bay seat. So they could be going into the next election with a notional 8 seats.
  • Options
    Not sure if this has been posted already, but may be of interest:
    https://twitter.com/KellerZoe/status/1258892482584117250
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,354
    Floater said:

I was told of a pub being open yesterday here in Essex.

Also in last week

Son' girlfriend went around her mums and got drunk with her family and parted ways with lots of hugs.... she is a nurse ffs and my son is at risk

Nursing auxiliary tried to have 5 friends around to house she shares with son and his girlfriend.... he lost the plot and gathering was off - said woman can't see why he made a fuss.....

On the other hand the street party which was talked about on our local face book group came to nothing

The bottom line is that there isn't a clear message coming through on what we can and can't do, so people either overreact or underreact according to temperament. People keep saying this is like WW2 - well, fine, let's have Ministry of Information-style notices pumped out through every channel, saying do X, Y and Z or it'll risk killing you or other people. The simple "stay home" message did get through and was almost ubiquitously followed. The "you can go out for a while and maybe drive for a bit and try to stay 2m apart or maybe it's 1m and perhaps wear a mask or maybe don't bother and anyway we're going to change soon" message, not so much.

We do not need inspirational waffle from Boris (or not *only* waffle - a bit of uplifting stuff is fine), we need clarity - if he's not feeling well yet, we'll all understand if he needs a break and appoints a deputy empowered to get a grip. And it's OK if the advice changes as the situation changes, so long as it changes clearly.
  • Options

And this is how you get a super spreader event...I wonder how many people during their VE day celebrations instinctively did something similar after a few sherbets?

https://twitter.com/KrmtDfrog/status/1259040362267578369?s=20

I don't think the planet, full as it is with human beings, is ever going to satisfy you in terms of risk minimisation.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Nor were all of England celebrating VE Day, ask Alistair or Cyclefree
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

I don't disagree with the intention but it comes down to voteshare. Although sadly I don't think the LDs will be agreeing to a coalition at any election soon.
    Starmer will almost certainly need the LDs and LD gains from the Tories to have any chance of forming a government next time and it will come down to seats not voteshare
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes but I did spot @Dura_Ace prancing around in his Union Jack boxers and handlebar moustache.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,879

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

He can't even tell the difference between the SNP and the Yes movement.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Long, long queue to get into B&Q this morning. Amazing what effect a bit of sun has. But this is essential because we are down to 2 lights in our living room and will soon be sitting in the dark.

I do wonder how many of my fellow queuers could say as much.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

Yes but I did spot @Dura_Ace prancing around in his Union Jack boxers and handlebar moustache.
    Whatever gets you off ...
  • Options

Floater said:

I was told of a pub being open yesterday here in Essex.

Also in last week

Son' girlfriend went around her mums and got drunk with her family and parted ways with lots of hugs.... she is a nurse ffs and my son is at risk

Nursing auxiliary tried to have 5 friends around to house she shares with son and his girlfriend.... he lost the plot and gathering was off - said woman can't see why he made a fuss.....

On the other hand the street party which was talked about on our local face book group came to nothing

The bottom line is that there isn't a clear message coming through on what we can and can't do, so people either overreact or underreact according to temperament. People keep saying this is like WW2 - well, fine, let's have Ministry of Information-style notices pumped out through every channel, saying do X, Y and Z or it'll risk killing you or other people. The simple "stay home" message did get through and was almost ubiquitously followed. The "you can go out for a while and maybe drive for a bit and try to stay 2m apart or maybe it's 1m and perhaps wear a mask or maybe don't bother and anyway we're going to change soon" message, not so much.

We do not need inspirational waffle from Boris (or not *only* waffle - a bit of uplifting stuff is fine), we need clarity - if he's not feeling well yet, we'll all understand if he needs a break and appoints a deputy empowered to get a grip. And it's OK if the advice changes as the situation changes, so long as it changes clearly.
    V well said.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

I thought your position was that they were bitter remoaners and that their Englishness was somewhat suspect?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    A superb article, David. Thank you.

One small quibble. While I agree with you that the lack of moral certainty is a danger, it does not arise simply from a wish not to give offence. It arises, I think, from a failure to understand why freedom and democracy matter and why they are the foundations of prosperity and opportunity and the sorts of societies we prefer. Very few of our leaders are willing to explain this, possibly because they do not understand this themselves.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Long, long queue to get into B&Q this morning. Amazing what effect a bit of sun has. But this is essential because we are down to 2 lights in our living room and will soon be sitting in the dark.

I'd wager very few of them are nearly out of lights but almost all of them would consider their trip essential because of their own unique reason.

Have you considered getting lights from Amazon? Much cheaper than B&Q in my experience.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The Neil Ferguson defence. My reason for doing this is fine but just look at everyone else doing it I bet they're trying it on.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Time to break out the Tilley lamps for that full WWII feel.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Starmer will almost certainly need the LDs and LD gains from the Tories to have any chance of forming a government next time and it will come down to seats not voteshare
    I don't see the LDs going into coalition with anyone, frankly.
  • Options

Another one entirely happy to play ducks and drakes with my partner's life. Charming.
    I see no reason your partner's life would be at risk due to closing trade talks if the EU wish to annex our sovereign natural resources and sovereign lawmaking powers.

I do see you blinded by rage at this process and twisting everything to be a reason not to move away from the EU.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

I thought your position was that they were bitter remoaners and that their Englishness was somewhat suspect?
    No, I have never taken that position, I am not following the route of some Nats that Unionist Scots support England over Scotland in football and rugby
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,917
    I can think of a couple of PBers that might want to ponder that!!
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

I don't see the LDs going into coalition with anyone, frankly.
    Whether coalition or confidence and supply without LD support and LD gains from the Tories in London and the South Starmer has virtually no chance of beating Boris and getting enough MPs to support him to become PM
  • Options

That is not my position. But it is Britain that wants to do a deal by the end of the year come hell or high water. It can have it fast, it can have it cheap or it can have it good. But it can't have all three.
    Cheap and fast then.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Scott_xP said:

ydoethur said:

It is however unlikely that the government will collapse in acrimonious factionalism and parliamentary chaos as Major’s did. There is no equivalent of Lamont or Duncan Smith stirring up trouble on the backbenches because he has purged them all. There is nobody of status or principle left in the party anyway.

While it may be true that there is nobody (or few at any rate) of status and principle left, it is not true to say that there are no idiots on the backbenches willing to stir up trouble. IDS is one of them.
    Would Duncan Smith revolt against Johnson, who gave him Brexit? Seriously?

Surely even he isn’t that dim.
    I was agreeing with you up till the last sentence
  • Options

I see no reason your partner's life would be at risk due to closing trade talks if the EU wish to annex our sovereign natural resources and sovereign lawmaking powers.

I do see you blinded by rage at this process and twisting everything to be a reason not to move away from the EU.
    I tell you what. I'll get you in a crowded room and have thirty people cough over you. I'm sure you'll be fine.

And I'm sure you'll find that airy assurance just as comforting as I find your idiotic pronouncement made from a position of profound ignorance.

This government has ballsed-up the supply lines for combating an infection that it is invested in dealing with. The chances of it not ballsing up supply lines for a problem that it is invested in pretending doesn't exist are about nil.
  • Options

Cheap and fast then.
    Daft of you to assume you can have two.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283
    Lockdown sceptics today continues an article written by an anonymous reader who has gone through the Ferguson paper that predicted 500K deaths, line by line.

It makes for interesting reading.

https://lockdownsceptics.org/how-convincing-is-imperial-colleges-covid-19-model/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

Cyclefree said:

CYCLEFREE’S GARDENING CORNER

FPT for @dixiedean

“Right you've convinced me. Later this week I shall lose my thirty pound land virginity. I remain to be convinced it will have a lasting positive effect on my mental health.”

I would be delighted to advise on what you need to buy! Could I not be taken on such visits as a buyer - like those art buyers poncey rich people have? I will wear my mask - made on my sewing machine last night and very fetching - you tell me the budget and I will blow it. It will do wonders for your garden and my mental health! 😀

Stay away from the tat though. Agapanthus, peonies, dahlias, crocosmias, geums and foxgloves will be starting to come through. One tip: never buy plants that are in full flower because the flowering will not last long once you are home, unless you are good at deadheading or it is a plant which will repeat flower. Buy plants with plenty of buds so you - rather than the garden centre - get the full benefit.

And check the roots. Many plants will likely be pot bound with the roots would tightly round and round. Ideally, you don’t want these as they take a bit longer to get established in the ground unless you pull the roots a bit to allow them to spread.

Have fun!

By the by, one shrub that has done very well this year is the dwarf lilac. Heavenly scent too. Well worth anybody considering it to fill a space.

What a wonderful view ... is it from your garden and where would that be pray? In general terms obviously.
    It is a gorgeous view, south Devon, looking out towards the coast west of Dartmouth. We can glimpse the sea - was more than that, but a plantation of conifers on the horizon has pretty much done for the view.

You have to go upstairs for the view, Peter.....guest bedroom. Dwarf lilac in the foreground. Sadly, CV-19 means no guests getting the benefit:

• Options

DavidL said:

I'd wager very few of them are nearly out of lights but almost all of them would consider their trip essential because of their own unique reason.

Have you considered getting lights from Amazon? Much cheaper than B&Q
    in my experience.
    Amazon is evil and I don’t shop there. Although my wife does and bought our first masks this morning. My fault, kept muttering about a second wave.
  • Options
    Somewhat sobering prog The Briefing Room on R4 this am mainly about the economic fallout of Corona. A US economist or historian was talking about how various US cities and states reacted differently to the Spanish Influenza. SF had a very strong belt and braces policy initially but lifted too early and was smashed by a third wave of the flu.

FFS, there's a third wave now?!
  • Options

I tell you what. I'll get you in a crowded room and have thirty people cough over you. I'm sure you'll be fine.

And I'm sure you'll find that airy assurance just as comforting as I find your idiotic pronouncement made from a position of profound ignorance.

This government has ballsed-up the supply lines for combating an infection that it is invested in dealing with. The chances of it not ballsing up supply lines for a problem that it is invested in pretending doesn't exist are about nil.
    This government has done a fine job of getting surge capacity supply lines for equipment the entire world is seeking to get 50x of at the same time. Maintaining supply lines for normal drugs without a surge that is needed as normal is ludicrously easy in comparison.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    Can someone tell me how the "nation" was out singing "we'l meet again". Deathly silence in this community. Some tried a street party, less than 10% ventured out!
    The newspapers and TV this morning appear to be talking rubbish yet again.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

The Neil Ferguson defence. My reason for doing this is fine but just look at everyone else doing it I bet they're trying it on.
    Hypocrite? Moi? Surely not :-)
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Hypocrite? Moi? Surely not :-)
    It is entirely understandable and your reason was absolutely valid. It's just an indication of how exceptional this situation is.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    theakes said:

Can someone tell me how the "nation" was out singing "we'l meet again". Deathly silence in this community. Some tried a street party, less than 10% ventured out!

Plenty of houses had union jacks out in Epping, one even had a Churchill model, we had a BBQ at our flats and sang along with Vera Lynn at 9pm.

My parents live in Tunbridge Wells and also said the neighbouring village was full of union jacks yesterday
  • Options

Cheap and fast then.
    Daft of you to assume you can have two.
    You only said not all three.

Nothing is an option too.
  • Options

This government has done a fine job of getting surge capacity supply lines for equipment the entire world is seeking to get 50x of at the same time. Maintaining supply lines for normal drugs without a surge that is needed as normal is ludicrously easy in comparison.
    The country's outbreak of Covid-19 is among the worst in the developed world despite coming late to the UK. The country's failure to secure adequate PPE and its lamentable lateness in securing testing are obvious to all but the blindest devotees. Even the Prime Minister called it enraging.

And you wish me to trust these fools with my partner's life when they are invested in not seeing a problem in the first place? Get stuffed.
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks, the Twitter post I put up earlier indicates an Anglo-French report believes the outbreak may have started back in October.

Does tie in with the view others have expressed that it was probably here (and elsewhere) far earlier than first thought.
  • Options

And an extra few million get satisfied that they had it "back then" - so are at no risk to themselves or anybody else by acting like a twat in not social distancing....

Articles like this mean we need that antibody test all the more.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Mr. Meeks, the Twitter post I put up earlier indicates an Anglo-French report believes the outbreak may have started back in October.

Does tie in with the view others have expressed that it was probably here (and elsewhere) far earlier than first thought.

The guy who run Recode in Iceland stated that from all the genetic testing / tracking of the various mutations of coronavirus they have done, that he is thinks that it was in the UK early and much wider spread than the current timeline shown by the testing of the initial outbreak / contact tracing.
  • Options

And an extra few million get satisfied that they had it "back then" - so are at no risk to themselves or anybody else by acting like a twat in not social distancing....

If it started in October, maybe it didn’t start in China.

• Options
    theakes said:

No sign of anything around here. Although there did seem to be a number of barbecues going on along the street.
  • Options
    ClippP said:

Would it not be more exact to say that the evidence against him was not strong enough to guarantee a conviction?

I think that's correct - he appears to me to be saying that any investigation that ends in acquittal should never have taken place. He comes across as a right little twerp to be honest.
  • Options

Somewhat sobering prog The Briefing Room on R4 this am mainly about the economic fallout of Corona. A US economist or historian was talking about how various US cities and states reacted differently to the Spanish Influenza. SF had a very strong belt and braces policy initially but lifted too early and was smashed by a third wave of the flu.

FFS, there's a third wave now?!

Yep. For spanish flu. iirc there were three waves, before it burnt out, the second was the most brutal.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    edited May 2020

The UK can do a "Canada" with the EU, ie 1500 pages of bespoke agreement, every page haggled over by the various stakeholders over the course of six years. You would also need to do something about Northern Ireland, which doesn't feature in the Canada setup. The UK doesn't even want Canada.

This isn't realistic.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Your Order of August the First is in the post from Beijing....
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The UK can do a "Canada" with the EU, ie 1500 pages of bespoke agreement, every page haggled over by the various stakeholders over the course of six years. You would also need to do something about Northern Ireland, which doesn't feature in the Canada setup. The UK doesn't even want Canada.

This isn't realistic.
    Canada for GB would be fine, the Withdrawal Agreement already covers Northern Ireland
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    We now know that the first documented case in China was somebody who presented in a bad way in mid November, so they must have contracted it around the start of November.

That a very long time for this highly infectious disease to supposedly stay just in one city i.e. between November and supposedly around January.

So not really surprising if we start to see more cases from December elsewhere.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,971

isam said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

Go argue with the arithmetic!
    Labour gave it a good go I seem to remember!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gkHwU4DRA8
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Your Order of August the First is in the post from Beijing....
    Don’t be daft. But it’s food for thought. The January Wuhan outbreak is what ties it to China. If it was cropping up around the world before that then it is at least possible it started elsewhere.

I don’t buy it, but it’s an interesting question.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,807

Lockdown sceptics today continues an article written by an anonymous reader who has gone through the Ferguson paper that predicted 500K deaths, line by line.

It makes for interesting reading.

https://lockdownsceptics.org/how-convincing-is-imperial-colleges-covid-19-model/

When the paper was written it was surely aiming to get an order of magnitude type answer of what might happen, not as a reliable predictor. 500k still seem fine as an order of magnitude response.

Clearly we have learned much since then about how the virus transmits and spreads, yet there is also still much more to learn.

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    edited May 2020
    HYUFD said:

FF43 said:

This isn't realistic.
    Canada for GB would be fine, the Withdrawal Agreement already covers Northern Ireland
    Plus three years for ratification. So we will be looking at provisional implementation in 2029. If it happens at all. What will we be doing in the meantime?

Edit on Northern Ireland. The Boris regime seems to be having serious buyers' remorse on the WA. If it doesn't implement it properly, nothing will happen on anything else.
This discussion has been closed.