Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Not good pandemic front pages for the government this morning

123457»

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,320
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Morning all. Iconic presentational change on the John Hopkins monitor. It now shows USA deaths as a single figure rather than split across states. If it were not for this the UK would today have gone top of the global deaths table having just overhauled the previous leader - Italy. The change was made on the very day we passed them. As it is we remain in 2nd place, behind the newly consolidated USA with Italy dropping to 3rd. Now the change makes sense - the USA is indeed one country - but the timing of it does look suspicious. I'm not normally one for this sort of thing but when you put this oddity together with the "co-incidence" of the Telegraph breaking the Ferguson sex scandal also today, well it makes you think. Especially coming hard on the heels of last week's "dodgy data" on daily testing. Cummings? Johnson? One hopes not. PR is important for any government but it should never be the driver.

'The strategy is working'
    We'll see. WORST DEATH TOLL IN EUROPE. I can see that on the side of a bus. Cue lots of talk and protest about how it's "not fair", it's "apples and pears", "just look at America", it "started in China" bla bla, but all this does - as his chief political advisor knows full well since the trick is an invention of his - is to cement the point into the public consciousness and "Boris" becomes a byword not for getting Brexit over and done with but for doing exactly that to many many lives - live by the Cummings die by the Cummings, as it were.
    Those headlines are why so many countries are hiding their non-hospital death statistics. The government are being crucified for being honest.
    Galling. But the numbers in all countries are understated by varying degress atm. Ultimately I think I will be looking at the macro 'excess over trend' deaths when the crisis is over and adjusting mainly for population and pop density. If this has us looking terrible, there will be no hiding place for Johnson. And if it doesn't - well, there are other measures.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    edited May 2020
    RobD said:

eek said:

Apple won't say, heck apple won't comment on apps you yourself have published let alone other peoples

But I will say that I don't think there is an exploit and I don't think the App is available in the App store yet, they will be using testpilot to side load it and that doesn't require approval.

It's on the App stores now.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-52532435
    That's like saying the software I'm about to release on Microsoft's Appsource is on Appsource now.

It's there and I can send people to a specific hidden page if they want to download it but it won't have sign off from Microsoft until the conference call I'm on at 6pm tonight and it won't be officially on it until at the earliest tomorrow morning.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    HYUFD said:

I voted Remain

Traitor! :lol:
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

eek said:

One piece of information that seems to be missing from a lot of these discussions - the app is being developed by Pivotal which is a subsidiary of VMware

https://www.vmware.com/uk/company/acquisitions/pivotal.html

Nope I have covered that multiple times today.

To me it shows why this disaster is unfolding - being database experts they will have assumed that collecting the data is easy (as it usually is with internet of things devices) when in reality that isn't the case here.

Now I know this was a disaster yesterday but it was only when I saw last night who was working on the App that I saw exactly how and why this car crash was going to occur and how it would play out.

As you may have missed this I will post it again (sorry everyone else)

Nonsense in the fact that the App is being asked to do something that both iOS and Android explicitly stops an App from doing.

The fact that the app seems to have the sort of message you would add to it after discovering said issue, while trying to hide exactly how big the issue actually is (see the screenshot earlier). You wouldn't believe the number of times TCS / Wipro have tried to pull such tricks on me / others.

And the fact that as Sandpit pointed out (as I missed it) that the company developing this app works on backend systems and could have easily missed the fact mobile phones had barriers (see paragraph 1) which would stop the data from being collected.

Heck, I can even see the argument being used that the bluetooth issue isn't a real issue as hey Apple / Google will let us get around it (hint they won't their entire business is built on data privacy).

There is literally nothing in this story which surprises me I can see exactly how each step of it occurred and as I said earlier Hancock will need to go.

Remember both Sandpit and I are senior IT people with years of experience here. We aren't posting to score political points, we are posting because this is a shitstorm that could have been avoided but it's equally obvious as to how we got to this point.
    I am not exactly new to IT - I've run projects including phone apps a few times over the years.

I have concerns about the app as well - the privacy issues particularly. The conflicts with the policies of iOS and Android seem damning.

The big question to me is why Apple have let it in the App Store if it is violation of the ToCs - using an exploit should have got it booted instantly. Either they are letting it slide or it is doing something different to what has been publicly stated.

Has anyone followed up with Apple on this?
    The initial thinking was that it wouldn't work unless there was an exploit involved, knowing already that GCHQ were involved.

Looking at what's actually been developed, it's not working and will never work. Hence there's probably not an exploit in use. Apple are probably laughing and pointing at their own, ready-to-go API. At least they would be, if it wasn't so serious.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I am quite liking Starmer's approach and if he can finally slay antisemitism and Corbynism he will lead a genuine opposition for the first time in five years

Can Sir Keir get you to vote for him though BigG? As you last voted Labour under Blair when Labour last won a general election you are clearly exactly the type of swing voter he needs to become PM
    You do not seem to understand that you can be loyal to your party and at the same time complement an opposition politician

And Boris has my vote as long as he is a liberal compassionate conservative and not a pseudo ukipper
    Maybe but you are still in the small pool of Tory to New Labour in 1997 to Tory again switchers Starmer has to win to get into No 10
    If the party went along with your ukip lite mutterings it would be overwhelmed in a GE
    I voted Remain but I have never voted Labour unlike you.

I also voted Tory even in the 2014 and 2019 European Parliament elections which UKIP and the Brexit Party won
    That's nothing to be proud of. That just shows you to be an unthinking apparatchik whose views can be rather ignored and pay more attention people who think for themselves and change their vote accordingly.
    Without party loyalists like me doing the groundwork at election time leafleting and canvassing even in bad years rather fewer Tory MPs and councillors would get elected.

I have never said I was a swing voter
    You have an extraordinary high opinion of yourself

For your information I have done all those things for the party in the 60's 70's 80's and 2010
    Maybe but you still voted Labour in 1997 and 2001, in 1997 I put up Tory posters and in 2001 campaigned for Tory candidates and voted Tory in the first general election I was able to.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131

HYUFD said:

I voted Remain

Says the man who wants to hand Northern Ireland over to the Republic
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,408
    NEW THrEaD
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

RobD said:

Boris.

The government has no intention of returning to the 'A' word

Which means tax rises in reality, if we’re not cost cutting anymore. I’m happy with that.
    I do like the idea of a hypothecated tax to pay down the response, or a specific set of debt that is paid off separately.
    We're borrowing at 0.1% interest. Why pay it off?

After the crisis hits there will undoubtedly be a deficit to deal with. We will need to resolve the deficit as we had to a decade ago but paying off the debt is never going to happen, lets be real.
    ''After the crisis hits there will undoubtedly be a deficit to deal with''

Understatement of the year.

See that CIPS construction number? sheesh These economic data are even shocking me and I'm expecting a bigger downturn than anybody.

Numbers right now are not what is relevant. What is relevant are the numbers afterwards.
    when you are 5-0 down at halftime it hardly matters, the result is fairly obvious
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

Apple won't say, heck apple won't comment on apps you yourself have published let alone other peoples

But I will say that I don't think there is an exploit and I don't think the App is available in the App store yet, they will be using testpilot to side load it and that doesn't require approval.

That's like saying the software I'm about to release on Microsoft's Appsource is on Appsource now.

It's there and I can send people to a specific hidden page if they want to download it but it won't have sign off from Microsoft until the conference call I'm on at 6pm tonight and it won't be officially on it until at the earliest tomorrow morning.
    You were saying it wasn't on the App store, but it is. And are there really links in the app store that send you to a third party site to download it? I've never seen that before.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,563
    RobD said:

eek said:

I was presuming that they were using something like the business app store setups to distribute the app, at the moment.

Given the superficial nature of tech reporting, Testpilot = "In the app stores" for your average journalist probably.

Does anyone actually know?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Morning all. Iconic presentational change on the John Hopkins monitor. It now shows USA deaths as a single figure rather than split across states. If it were not for this the UK would today have gone top of the global deaths table having just overhauled the previous leader - Italy. The change was made on the very day we passed them. As it is we remain in 2nd place, behind the newly consolidated USA with Italy dropping to 3rd. Now the change makes sense - the USA is indeed one country - but the timing of it does look suspicious. I'm not normally one for this sort of thing but when you put this oddity together with the "co-incidence" of the Telegraph breaking the Ferguson sex scandal also today, well it makes you think. Especially coming hard on the heels of last week's "dodgy data" on daily testing. Cummings? Johnson? One hopes not. PR is important for any government but it should never be the driver.

We'll see. WORST DEATH TOLL IN EUROPE. I can see that on the side of a bus. Cue lots of talk and protest about how it's "not fair", it's "apples and pears", "just look at America", it "started in China" bla bla, but all this does - as his chief political advisor knows full well since the trick is an invention of his - is to cement the point into the public consciousness and "Boris" becomes a byword not for getting Brexit over and done with but for doing exactly that to many many lives - live by the Cummings die by the Cummings, as it were.
    Those headlines are why so many countries are hiding their non-hospital death statistics. The government are being crucified for being honest.
    Galling. But the numbers in all countries are understated by varying degress atm. Ultimately I think I will be looking at the macro 'excess over trend' deaths when the crisis is over and adjusting mainly for population and pop density. If this has us looking terrible, there will be no hiding place for Johnson. And if it doesn't - well, there are other measures.
    Yes, the excess deaths measure is the only real way to measure but again the ONS are a lot faster than other national bodies at reporting this information. Though I expect even then we'll end up somewhere very high on the list of first world nations. The government hasn't had a good crisis.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

You were saying it wasn't on the App store, but it is. And are there really links in the app store that send you to a third party site to download it? I've never seen that before.
    I will repeat my statement - it's not there.

Before posting it wasn't on Apple's appstore I went looking for and I cannot find it. Hint, I don't like making a fool of myself so I always double check that I'm not an idiot before posting something that confirms that the other person is.

Now should I trust an journalist or my own eyes especially when I know exactly how publishing an App works and I see little evidence that you do.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Yes, the excess deaths measure is the only real way to measure but again the ONS are a lot faster than other national bodies at reporting this information. Though I expect even then we'll end up somewhere very high on the list of first world nations. The government hasn't had a good crisis.
    We're also an island which should have added more benefits to maintaining a lower impact from the virus.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

We're also an island which should have added more benefits to maintaining a lower impact from the virus.
    We may be on an island but we aren't exactly a small island and we also sell a lot of services which mean people travelling to and from foreign climes.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I pretty much agree, I was naughtily referring to a now deleted tweet by a Tory MP. The fact that it's been deleted is probably the most interesting thing about it.

https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1257779413921542145?s=20
    :smile: - that, as they say in the sphere, has "not aged well".
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    RobD said:

That really is unacceptable.

LOL. They are the Para Reg not the London Symphony Orchestra. What the fuck do you expect? I once saw one drink another bloke's spew from a pint glass to win a 5 quid bet.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Its absolutely pathetic. Spain needed to call its military in to clear the dead out of care homes and people are pretending we're worse than Spain? Seriously!?

Repeating such bullshit just makes you look like a preposterous, partisan, petulant, pathetic plonker.
    Philip!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,989
    eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

Before posting it wasn't on Apple's appstore I went looking for and I cannot find it. Hint, I don't like making a fool of myself so I always double check that I'm not an idiot before posting something that confirms that the other person is.

Now should I trust an journalist or my own eyes especially when I know exactly how publishing an App works and I see little evidence that you do.
    It's embedded in the NHS app, isn't it?
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    S.Korea has signs of tracking fatigue

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/korea-smartphone-apps-tracking-coronavirus-won-stop-buzzing-200408074008185.html

Looking from outside, the government seems to be spamming people rather than sending a useful number of messages.

But if their track and trace system works, what software does it use?

I also noted online that SK spends slightly less on healthcare than the NHS (percent of GDP) but has a much longer lifespan ... 9th in the world compared to a dismal 29th for the UK.

26th. for Germany isn't much better. It spends far more on healthcare than the UK and SK figures of 8-8.5%. So no, I wouldn't say that Germany has the answers.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

RobD said:

That really is unacceptable.

LOL. They are the Para Reg not the London Symphony Orchestra. What the fuck do you expect? I once saw one drink another bloke's spew from a pint glass to win a 5 quid bet.
    Hats off and no mistake. I genuinely doubt I could do that unless it was at the point of a gun.
  • Options
    RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

RobD said:

eek said:

It's embedded in the NHS app, isn't it?
    The NHS app that was last updated a fortnight ago

As Tess and Claudia would say at the end of Strictly - keep digging (that hole).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I voted Remain

Says the man who wants to hand Northern Ireland over to the Republic
    There was no such entity called "Northern Ireland" at the time of the 1918 election.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I pretty much agree, I was naughtily referring to a now deleted tweet by a Tory MP. The fact that it's been deleted is probably the most interesting thing about it.

https://twitter.com/leonardocarella/status/1257779413921542145?s=20
    :smile: - that, as they say in the sphere, has "not aged well".
    Like a glass of milk on a radiator
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    eek said:

Password oddity: logging into Paypal I get a message purportedly from Norton (who I don't subscribe to) telling my password has been compromised, why not let it change the password and store it in my vault? I did, briefly, then change my mind and change the PayPal password to one I've never used before. Logging out and going back into Paypal, I get the Norton message again that the password has been compromised (not possible as not used before).

This looks like a classic scam. But googling "Norton password manager scam" doesn't show up anything of interest. Any suggestions?

On what type of device did the alert appear on and was the "alert" a browser window or something else? If it was something else I would be rebuilding my computer from scratch (but I'm in IT and it would take me 10 minutes to return things to how they were) in your case download and run Malwarebytes and see if it picks up any issues https://www.malwarebytes.com/malware/
    Thank to you and Sandpit for the comments. It popped up as a browser window, on my Windows 10 laptop. I have malwarebytes, ran it and found nothing. Logging into paypal from my work system (checking that it's really paypal) and it shows the same balance and works with my new never-used-before password. On my office system, which doesn't have Norton installed, I don't get the message, unsurprisingly. But oddly I didn't think I had it installed on my home laptop either, and listing programmes with "unsubcribe" doesn't show it. Also oddly, although I'm sure my email passwords have been hacked in the past, my current password can't have been, since I just invented it, yet it's still saying it has (perhaps because it resembles a past password?).
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    MaxPB said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

nobody in threir right mind could call this government honest , best you could do is guess how dishonest on a scale of 90%-100% they are.
  • Options

eek said:

Password oddity: logging into Paypal I get a message purportedly from Norton (who I don't subscribe to) telling my password has been compromised, why not let it change the password and store it in my vault? I did, briefly, then change my mind and change the PayPal password to one I've never used before. Logging out and going back into Paypal, I get the Norton message again that the password has been compromised (not possible as not used before).

This looks like a classic scam. But googling "Norton password manager scam" doesn't show up anything of interest. Any suggestions?

On what type of device did the alert appear on and was the "alert" a browser window or something else? If it was something else I would be rebuilding my computer from scratch (but I'm in IT and it would take me 10 minutes to return things to how they were) in your case download and run Malwarebytes and see if it picks up any issues https://www.malwarebytes.com/malware/
    Thank to you and Sandpit for the comments. It popped up as a browser window, on my Windows 10 laptop. I have malwarebytes, ran it and found nothing. Logging into paypal from my work system (checking that it's really paypal) and it shows the same balance and works with my new never-used-before password. On my office system, which doesn't have Norton installed, I don't get the message, unsurprisingly. But oddly I didn't think I had it installed on my home laptop either, and listing programmes with "unsubcribe" doesn't show it. Also oddly, although I'm sure my email passwords have been hacked in the past, my current password can't have been, since I just invented it, yet it's still saying it has (perhaps because it resembles a past password?).
    If it's a browser window it is likely to be just one of those things. Most Advertising networks are bottom feeding for advertisers at the moment and I'm seeing a few ad networks displaying some very dodgy adverts because it's currently cost peanuts to advertise compared to usual.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Dreadful figures today . Less tests more positive cases . Over 600 deaths , what the hell is going on!
This discussion has been closed.