Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Road from Glencassley – the last horse to win a UK race

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2020
    Sandpit said:

So, what sports do we think we'll be able to watch (and bet on) over the summer?

We need to find things with only a dozen people required in a room, including competitors, officials and media. Maybe some well spread-out outdoor sports too.

We know all the international touring sports are out, and professional football, cricket, rugby and motorsport all need a cast of hundreds for a competitive televised event. Also out is anything that relies too much on public attendance for revenue.

So what are we left with? Some local golf and tennis, darts, snooker?

Golf back next week for a charity skins game, but they plan to for the US tour to start June.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,359
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

felix said:

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Naming horses after Highland geography can work wonders: see under Arkle, Foinaven.

Have you noticed how many F1 drivers are named after Scottish towns?

Lewis Hamilton.

Eddie Irvine.

Stirling Moss.

Ayr Town Centre.
    There's some sort of virus transmissable from Ydoethr?
    That attempt at spelling my name was u-less.

Anyway, Lewis is an island :smiley:
    No man is an Island - I'm Donne commenting ...for now!
    Not bad, but you’ll get better as you get Uist to it.
    Stop Harris-ing us with those puns
    It’s OK, I have Nairn left. Wick may be a blessing.
    We dont need any of your black isle humour ;)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

eek said:

For a Tuesday (which is typically higher due to weekend catch up) that seems like good news does it not?
    Last Tuesday was 546 by the looks of it so a drop of a 1/3.
    Continuing a trend that deaths are linearly falling by about 200 per eight days rather than a logarithmic decay.

At this rate (not that I expect that) this wave will be over by the end of next week.
    I'll be bloody impressed if it continues after that. Mass resurrections... :smile:
    They media would still find those who'd want to blame Boris.

"After we paid for the funeral and everything. Who is going to reimburse us, that's what I'd like to know..."
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sir Patrick Vallance told MPs that masks could have a 'marginal but positive' impact on curbing transmission of the life-threatening infection.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8288295/Wearing-masks-curb-spread-coronavirus-Governments-chief-scientist-says.html

By next month it will be everybody needs to wear a mask, but we don't have enough of them....

Marginal but positive sounds about right, given most people don't handle them correctly.

Massive negative effect if the public start hoarding them while there's a supply shortage for medical workers though.
    Is there a reason why we shouldn't just go to using respiratory masks (which are reusable), rather than going through millions of disposable ones? Yes the outside needs cleaning carefully, but you only need to change the filters on those every few months.
    The FFP2/N95 respirators (Which @Eadric got very excited when I showed him a picture) I have were very easy to get hold of a while ago, doubt that is the case now.
    Eadric bought them all
    Unless he was beaten in the queue by SeanT, Byronic and MysticRose...
    They wouldn't know who had bought them
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,442

eek said:

For a Tuesday (which is typically higher due to weekend catch up) that seems like good news does it not?
    Last Tuesday was 546 by the looks of it so a drop of a 1/3.
    Continuing a trend that deaths are linearly falling by about 200 per eight days rather than a logarithmic decay.

At this rate (not that I expect that) this wave will be over by the end of next week.
    I'll be bloody impressed if it continues after that. Mass resurrections... :smile:
    They media would still find those who'd want to blame Boris.

"After we paid for the funeral and everything. Who is going to reimburse us, that's what I'd like to know..."
    "Evil Tories force people to work forever".
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898

Sandpit said:

Not just Gatwick Virgin is exiting - the 747s are going too.....

https://twitter.com/AlexInAir/status/1257644081024466944?s=20

This is like the 1973 oil crisis - many until then still viable passenger liners started making one way trips to the breakers and the trans Atlantic liner service was left with one ship sailing (which survived another 30 years...) - the QE2.

Virgin have basically two types of fleet, the older 747s and A330s (they already scrapped the A340s), and the newer, much more efficient 787s and A350s.
    I wonder if BA's 747s will make it back into the air? Crossed the Atlantic many times on the QE2 - once (just after 9/11) they wanted to get us into Boston early so they cranked her up to over 29 knots - wouldn't have known if I hadn't seen the stateroom TV display. While Captains were assessed on how economically they could cross the pond Ron Warwick was fond of pressing the pedal to the metal.....
    Can't see the Speedbird Queens making it either I'm afraid, sadly they've had their day in the sky, and many a pleasant flight I've had on them over the years. 777-300 carries >80% of the pax numbers for half the fuel cost.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Can't imagine why it hasn't been widely reported.....

https://twitter.com/BrianCathcart/status/1257606684144480257?s=20

It says a lot that that figure is simultaneously mindblowing and yet totally unsurprising...
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Charles said:

Can horses transmit Covid-19? I'm aware that tigers can, but I don't think anyone's proposing to ride tigers (though it would be an exciting sport if they did).

Mate of mine was captain of the English elephant polo team.

Also of the English ice cricket team.
    Mate of mine was captain of the Scottish elephant polo team.

Not sure about the Scottish ice cricket team, that said.

• Options

Sandpit said:

So, what sports do we think we'll be able to watch (and bet on) over the summer?

We need to find things with only a dozen people required in a room, including competitors, officials and media. Maybe some well spread-out outdoor sports too.

We know all the international touring sports are out, and professional football, cricket, rugby and motorsport all need a cast of hundreds for a competitive televised event. Also out is anything that relies too much on public attendance for revenue.

Golf back next week for a charity skins game, but they plan to for the US tour to start June.
    Golf could well work behind closed doors, the playing groups are small and easy to keep distance over a large playing area. Lots of TV production required though, and the difficulties of travel to different venues (which are much reduced in the USA compared to elsewhere). Hotels probably the key issue to resolve.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Sandpit, eSports are getting significantly more attention.

There's also betting now on the Virtual Grands Prix (no idea if you saw it but I mentioned some Fittipaldi tips I saw on Twitter that ended up green overall).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Big news today so far as the public is concerned is I expect the UK having the worst death toll in europe.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

I think it's a good thing, not a problem.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,010
    fox327 said:

Extremely low for a Tuesday? Usually it's the worst day by far.
    I think yesterday was a Bank Holiday. There might be some resulting late reporting, so the updated figures later in the week should clarify this.
    Nope. The bank holiday is Friday.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Pulpstar said:

Big news today so far as the public is concerned is I expect the UK having the worst death toll in europe.

On the same day that there were reports that the Italian figure is understated by 50%. No wonder people don't trust the media.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,012

Worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/05/why-has-eastern-europe-suffered-less-from-coronavirus-than-the-west

I think it misses that central and eastern Europe are both emptier and less connected than western Europe, but the point about early lockdown is a fair one.

A friend's Polish wife reckons they still have the ability and will to close things down left over from Communist time, but unused, and a more compliant population. And talking to some Russians in a bar in Limassol in March "there's some cases in Novosibirsk. But if necessary, we'll just cut it off". Annoyingly on that trip I met a Tatar lady from Kazań but there seemed little point asking her for travel trips as it already seemed likely I wouldn't get there in July.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

On the same day that there were reports that the Italian figure is understated by 50%. No wonder people don't trust the media.
    Its the Govts they don't trust... the media just report. I doubt even the Grauniad could be that innacurate.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Naming horses after Highland geography can work wonders: see under Arkle, Foinaven.

Lewis Hamilton.

Eddie Irvine.

Stirling Moss.

Ayr Town Centre.

The Skye's the limit!
  • Options

Mr. Sandpit, eSports are getting significantly more attention.

There's also betting now on the Virtual Grands Prix (no idea if you saw it but I mentioned some Fittipaldi tips I saw on Twitter that ended up green overall).

Didn't see your tips, was elsewhere online over the weekend. Did see the Indycar drivers treating a live televised and sponsored e-sports event like it was a demolition derby though, which was a very bad look.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Its the Govts they don't trust... the media just report. I doubt even the Grauniad could be that innacurate.
    But the way they are reporting it is important. Right now it sounds as if the numbers are completely accurate and precise. They aren't, for any country.

And they don't trust the media, see the earlier tweet. :D
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

This is like the 1973 oil crisis - many until then still viable passenger liners started making one way trips to the breakers and the trans Atlantic liner service was left with one ship sailing (which survived another 30 years...) - the QE2.

Virgin have basically two types of fleet, the older 747s and A330s (they already scrapped the A340s), and the newer, much more efficient 787s and A350s.
    I wonder if BA's 747s will make it back into the air? Crossed the Atlantic many times on the QE2 - once (just after 9/11) they wanted to get us into Boston early so they cranked her up to over 29 knots - wouldn't have known if I hadn't seen the stateroom TV display. While Captains were assessed on how economically they could cross the pond Ron Warwick was fond of pressing the pedal to the metal.....
    Can't see the Speedbird Queens making it either I'm afraid, sadly they've had their day in the sky, and many a pleasant flight I've had on them over the years. 777-300 carries >80% of the pax numbers for half the fuel cost.
    The new 777-9 series now the longest airliners in the world.
  • Options
    If twitter is anything to go by, the government wont have to worry about if this app works or not, because the twitterati have decided because of the Tories, Big Dom, Brexit, Cambridge Analytica they all are going anti-vaxxer stance and won't install it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Sandpit said:

NRL the Australasian Rugby League. Probably the highest standard club rugby in the world is scheduled for a May 28 restart.
    This looks ambitious, but Scott Morrisson is a big fan
    So with the PMs support it may happen behind closed doors. Probably all at the same stadium.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

A reasonable inference is that we might be third, behind Italy and Spain.

However the comparison to France looks less flattering for the UK. Whether that is the gov'ts "fault" is another question.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lewis Hamilton.

Eddie Irvine.

Stirling Moss.

Ayr Town Centre.

And it's also the island of Lewis and Harris to confuse things, both known separately as Isle of Lewis and Isle of Harris to further confuse things.

If I can't be a pedantic **** on here, where can I?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    edited May 2020
    Love to see horse racing back. I have a juicy ante post on Pinatubo for the 2000 Guineas.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

It says a lot that that figure is simultaneously mindblowing and yet totally unsurprising...
    Britain winning the cynicism league table ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2020

If twitter is anything to go by, the government wont have to worry about if this app works or not, because the twitterati have decided because of the Tories, Big Dom, Brexit, Cambridge Analytica they all are going anti-vaxxer stance and won't install it.

Ah yes, why did we bother with all that nuanced discussion about app design, data processing and testing protocols, when we should have just said that Cummings is EEEVVVIIILLLLL!!!!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lewis Hamilton.

Eddie Irvine.

Stirling Moss.

Ayr Town Centre.

I should know better (about the spelling I mean).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    I really do miss sport.

Kinda weird to think I may have attended my last ever sporting event.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

But the way they are reporting it is important. Right now it sounds as if the numbers are completely accurate and precise. They aren't, for any country.

Only Britain reports accurately in the same way we played by the EU rules whilst other countries cocked a snook at the regulations.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    edited May 2020

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Only Britain reports accurately in the same way we played by the EU rules whilst other countries cocked a snook at the regulations.
    Yes! This! It's all the fucking Europeans' fault.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

Sir Patrick Vallance told MPs that masks could have a 'marginal but positive' impact on curbing transmission of the life-threatening infection.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8288295/Wearing-masks-curb-spread-coronavirus-Governments-chief-scientist-says.html

By next month it will be everybody needs to wear a mask, but we don't have enough of them....

Marginal but positive sounds about right, given most people don't handle them correctly.

Massive negative effect if the public start hoarding them while there's a supply shortage for medical workers though.
    Is there a reason why we shouldn't just go to using respiratory masks (which are reusable), rather than going through millions of disposable ones? Yes the outside needs cleaning carefully, but you only need to change the filters on those every few months.
    The FFP2/N95 respirators (Which @Eadric got very excited when I showed him a picture) I have were very easy to get hold of a while ago, doubt that is the case now.
    I bought one back in mid-Feb when disposables had already gone to a silly price. Just in case. And because I have some asbestos to move, anyway.

I thought the problem with these is that they have a vent and therefore don't protect any other parties as well?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/SirSocks/status/1257631759514173441?s=20

An accurate and perceptive piece from Jennie Russell it has to be said. It's a pity that she's presumably unable to agree with her Times' editor in London to publish something along the same lines in the hope that Boris might read it and act accordingly by initiating a very much required beefing up of his team ... currently there are too many second and even third raters.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    edited May 2020

I really do miss sport.

You should worry. Big G & I are in our 80's!

(Think that's right, isn't it Mr G?)

If we want poorly attended sporting events, can I nominate club cricket?
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The new 777-9 series now the longest airliners in the world.
    Yes it will be, hopefully deliveries starting in the next couple of years. They've an even longer 777-10 version planned too, which will definitely kill off any remaining 747-400s and likely a lot of A380s.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    edited May 2020
    kinabalu said:

Love to see horse racing back. I have a juicy ante post on Pinatubo for the 2000 Guineas.

So would I .
    I really like the first meeting of the year at York races, in May.

The city of York is going to be hit hard, with the collapse in tourism and no foreign students.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    An accurate and perceptive piece from Jennie Russell it has to be said. It's a pity that she's presumably unable to agree with her Times' editor in London to publish something along the same lines in the hope that Boris might read it and act accordingly by initiating a very much required beefing up of his team ... currently there are too many second and even third raters.

Saying the British government is shit doesn't make you anti-British, just anti shit governments. Which I would say makes you pro-British since the last thing Britain can afford right now is continuing government ineptitude.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

The martyrdom of St UK is going to be around for a very long time, get used to it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Finally! Someone gets it!
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

No, just slower.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-health-coronavirus-italy-mortality/italys-coronavirus-death-toll-far-higher-than-reported-stats-office-idUKKBN22G1XB
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292
    isam said:

Boris will surely use VE Day to announce a lockdown release goody?

Victory over the Virus Day. I'm sure he wants to.

Will it be possible if there are still ~200 deaths to announce, though?

The virus sets the timetable, alas.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,712
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I fear you are correct - the four engine planes seem quite a lot quieter than their two engined siblings (I suppose having half the power further away from the cabin helps) - the 340 (gone) and 380 (outside Emirates, not long for this earth) in particular. Though I do think the -300 & -400 series 747s were noisier than the -200s! First trans-Atlantic flight was on a DC8 - built like a brick out-house!
  • Options
    Gruardian....

Britain and the United States warned on Tuesday that government-backed hackers are attempting to break into healthcare and research institutions involved in the global response to the new coronavirus outbreak.

In a joint statement, Britain’s National Cyber Security Centre and the US Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Security Agency said the hackers “are actively targeting organisations involved in both national and international Covid-19 responses”.

The attacks were likely parts of efforts by the hackers to “obtain intelligence on national and international healthcare policy or acquire sensitive data on Covid-19 related research”, the agencies said.

Now who could this be?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited May 2020
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Unfortunately for the government it is the simple fact that we have more deaths than anyone else in Europe that will stick. Few people bother to look beyond the headlines
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Interesting stats for Spain, confirming what is likely to be happening here as well:

More than 70% of new virus cases detected in Spain over the past 24 hours have been among medical staff, the health ministry said.
    In two large hospitals in Madrid and Catalonia, the regions worst-hit by the crisis, there had been “an 11% infection rate among staff”, he said.

But he said infections among healthcare workers had been “less serious” than cases in the general population, which he attributed to the fact they were generally much younger.

Among healthcare workers, the mortality rate was 0.1% compared with 7.8% in the general population. Far fewer had to be hospitalised or treated in intensive care, he said - also attributing it to the age difference.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/may/05/coronavirus-live-news-who-and-five-eyes-reject-chinese-lab-theory-as-global-deaths-pass-250000

That's very encouraging in the sense that it shows that the lockdown in Spain has been very effective in the general community, but it's worrying that they, like the UK, aren't yet on top of stopping infections in the healthcare system (and in care homes). It suggests that the PPE is either still not available, or (even worse) isn't actually that effective.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891

Interesting stats for Spain, confirming what is likely to be happening here as well:

More than 70% of new virus cases detected in Spain over the past 24 hours have been among medical staff, the health ministry said.
    In two large hospitals in Madrid and Catalonia, the regions worst-hit by the crisis, there had been “an 11% infection rate among staff”, he said.

But he said infections among healthcare workers had been “less serious” than cases in the general population, which he attributed to the fact they were generally much younger.

Among healthcare workers, the mortality rate was 0.1% compared with 7.8% in the general population. Far fewer had to be hospitalised or treated in intensive care, he said - also attributing it to the age difference.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2020/may/05/coronavirus-live-news-who-and-five-eyes-reject-chinese-lab-theory-as-global-deaths-pass-250000

That's very encouraging in the sense that it shows that the lockdown in Spain has been very effective in the general community, but it's worrying that they, like the UK, aren't yet on top of stopping infections in the healthcare system (and in care homes). It suggests that the PPE is either still not available, or (even worse) isn't actually that effective.

From what I've heard, it is likely they are passing it to each other and not necessarily getting it in a clinical setting where PPE is required.
  • Options

From what I've heard, it is likely they are passing it to each other and not necessarily getting it in a clinical setting where PPE is required.
    Good point.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Unfortunately for the government it is the simple fact that we have more deaths than anyone else in Europe that will stick. Few people bother to look beyond the headlines
    See above:

ROME (Reuters) - Italy’s coronavirus death toll is much higher than reported, statistics bureau ISTAT said on Monday in an analysis pointing to thousands of fatalities that have never been officially attributed to COVID-19.
  • Options

One problem with this bastard of a virus, is one mistake or one false negative on a test, in those hospital settings when dealing with patients at the height of their infectiousness could be all its takes.

I was contacted by a friend who works on the front line in a major hospital the other day to say they have contracted CV. They have not been short of PPE at any time and have been very cautious about limiting interacting with the outside world and I imagine they are incredibly professional at their job.

But even then, they have managed to get this.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Brainless Brexiteers were bound to blame the EU at some point. Blame anyone other than the lazy idiot that they so happily put in charge to "get Brexit done". Britain certainly has been "done" by these jingoistic buffoons. Well and truly kippered.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983

OllyT said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

See above:

ROME (Reuters) - Italy’s coronavirus death toll is much higher than reported, statistics bureau ISTAT said on Monday in an analysis pointing to thousands of fatalities that have never been officially attributed to COVID-19.
    The only figures that are comparable are unexpected deaths. Everything else is subject to personal viewpoints as to what needs to be measured so comparisons are impossible.

Of course papers have pages to fill and TV has 24 hours of static to fill so it's hardly surprising people report completely different things as valid comparisons
  • Options

Mortality "7.8% in the general population".

Really???
  • Options

I am always rather worried when I see the clap for carers and every week you see hoards of healthcare workers all standing their very close to one another.
  • Options
    BEIJING (BLOOMBERG) - China's Ambassador to Britain, Mr Liu Xiaoming, said British politicians who have called for a reset of ties between the two nations risk poisoning the relationship.

Anti-China rhetoric is in danger of undermining international solidarity in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic, he said in a webinar on Tuesday (May 5).

The ambassador's comment is a thinly veiled warning to senior Conservatives, including Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who said last month it could not be "business as usual" with China after Covid-19. Critics have focused on China's lack of transparency about reporting early cases of the disease.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/east-asia/china-says-britains-criticism-risks-poisoning-ties
  • Options
    I bet that is what Jezza plays every Christmas...when he is pretending to watch the Queen's speech while holidaying in a Latin American Socialist paradise.

On his podcast (Episode 8, for readers interested), Miliband said “What board game did I play as a child? There was a board game called Class Struggle and it was invented by a big Marxist called Bertel Oldman.”

https://order-order.com/2020/05/05/welcome-back-ed-wilderness-years-best-bits/
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Really???

For Spain as a whole they are reporting 250K cases and 25,613 deaths so far, which means an even higher mortality. However, beware of the denominator! (And the numerator, for that matter).
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Brainless Brexiteers were bound to blame the EU at some point. Blame anyone other than the lazy idiot that they so happily put in charge to "get Brexit done". Britain certainly has been "done" by these jingoistic buffoons. Well and truly kippered.
    It's paradoxical that despite ranting against nationalism, defending a particular conception of Britishness seems to be your overriding political viewpoint.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,288
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Can horses transmit Covid-19? I'm aware that tigers can, but I don't think anyone's proposing to ride tigers (though it would be an exciting sport if they did).

Surely that's just the normal Scottish cricket team in a slightly below-average Edinburgh summer?
  • Options
    OllyT said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Those that do will realise that the level of deaths has been a direct consequence of dithering an incompetence. They need to be called to account for their negligence. If a doctor was responsible for a level of mortality that was way above his peers he would be investigated and possibly struck off.
  • Options
    We are still hearing bugger all about concrete plans to deal with this. We can't let this continue as we emerge from lockdown.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11553422/aer-lingus-no-social-distancing-flight/
  • Options
    Guido’s take on what I’m going to be the first to coin “app-gate” ;)
    https://order-order.com/2020/05/05/10-problems-nhss-new-coronavirus-app/
    A neat summary of what most of us with industry experience have been saying for a while now.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

No, it's not a strong cabinet. I think all bar ultra partisans recognize this. I do hope "Boris" is not one of those leaders who positively prefer a lightweight team around them in order to dominate more easily. That was not his reputation as London Mayor or Speccy editor but as PM it does rather look that way so far.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,942

Really???
    It’s an Agence France Presse story. I suspect they got their numbers out by a factor of 10.
  • Options

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

It's paradoxical that despite ranting against nationalism, defending a particular conception of Britishness seems to be your overriding political viewpoint.
    Please expand? Not sure what your point is?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

No, it's not a strong cabinet. I think all bar ultra partisans recognize this. I do hope "Boris" is not one of those leaders who positively prefer a lightweight team around them in order to dominate more easily. That was not his reputation as London Mayor or Speccy editor but as PM it does rather look that way so far.
    With the London Mayor and Speccy he could hire anyone he wanted to.

As PM his cabinet can only be made up of MPs who have been elected into Parliament. The calibre of people wanting to be an MP is no longer what it was.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

As PM his cabinet can only be made up of MPs who have been elected into Parliament. The calibre of people wanting to be an MP is no longer what it was.
    The bigger problem is that he and the loons have driven out most of the best talent out of ideological spite - David Gauke, Phil Hammond, Amber Rudd driven out completely, and Jeremy Hunt consigned to the back benches.
  • Options
    eek said:

kinabalu said:

Good point - and the pool was further restricted, I suppose, since to be eligible you had to have signed up to WTO Brexit. At a stroke that removed all Remainers with integrity from the equation.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

OllyT said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

See above:

I'm not really disputing that, it's the fact that we have more deaths than anywhere else in Europe that people will latch on to , not the "ah, buts".
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,292

Really???
    Case Fatality Rate in both cases. So skewed by the testing coverage (and age profile of the medics).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

He has chosen (probably under advice from Cummings) to surround himself only with those that bought into what he claimed to believe in visa vis Brexit. This meant that with the exception of some, his "talent pool" (use that phrase advisedly) was largely bereft of brains and, well, talent. The fact that he could not persuade Hunt and others to be part of his cabinet shows his lack of genuine leadership. Johnson is a fraud. A comic act who can fool some of the people some of the time. Eventually people will wise up, inside his party and outside.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    edited May 2020

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

You seem to have a very strong British identity, based on a belief that Britain represents certain ideals that you feel it is failing to live up to. This triggers a kind of existential angst or even grief as you see your own national identity being lost, but that identity was itself based on an illusory sense of exceptionalism.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

ydoethur said:

IshmaelZ said:

Lewis Hamilton.

Eddie Irvine.

Stirling Moss.

Ayr Town Centre.

And it's also the island of Lewis and Harris to confuse things, both known separately as Isle of Lewis and Isle of Harris to further confuse things.

If I can't be a pedantic **** on here, where can I?
    Just Seil along regardless ...
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801
    ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Charles said:

Surely that's just the normal Scottish cricket team in a slightly below-average Edinburgh summer?
    There was certainly frost on the grass this morning!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,421
    https://twitter.com/SirSocks/status/1257631759514173441?s=20

Bizarre link to the thread subject -- horseracing -- is that Mark Thompson did much to end racing coverage on Channel 4 and the BBC.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

We are still hearing bugger all about concrete plans to deal with this. We can't let this continue as we emerge from lockdown.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11553422/aer-lingus-no-social-distancing-flight/

You have to wonder what essential trip everyone here was on.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

He has chosen (probably under advice from Cummings) to surround himself only with those that bought into what he claimed to believe in visa vis Brexit. This meant that with the exception of some, his "talent pool" (use that phrase advisedly) was largely bereft of brains and, well, talent. The fact that he could not persuade Hunt and others to be part of his cabinet shows his lack of genuine leadership. Johnson is a fraud. A comic act who can fool some of the people some of the time. Eventually people will wise up, inside his party and outside.
    I think that's broadly right.
  • Options

RobD said:

TOPPING said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Your seem to have a very strong British identity, based on a belief that Britain represents certain ideals that you feel it is failing to live up to. This triggers a kind of existential angst or even grief as you see your own national identity being lost, but that identity was itself based on an illusory sense of exceptionalism.
    An interesting hypothesis, which only my therapist might know the answer, if I had one. Your analysis isnt quite right though. My "Britishness" is based on a strong sense of history. I do not believe British people are any better than other nationalities, but I think we can be proud of ideas that have come out of all the nations of the UK that have influenced culture and democracy (whatever that is) around the world. I see nationalism, particularly the type personified by the likes of Nigel Farage, as a cancer that is destroying what is best about British political life and political culture. Nationalism (as opposed to patriotism) is an intensely negative thing that encourages division and hatred. Decent people should oppose it in all its forms.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Selebian said:

On sport... Just saw a headline on BBC news saying 'coronavirus could cost ECB £380m' and thought surely that should be billions for the European Central Bank - millions a rounding error.

Turns out it was the other ECB, the cricket one.

The important one.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

eek said:

kinabalu said:

Good point - and the pool was further restricted, I suppose, since to be eligible you had to have signed up to WTO Brexit. At a stroke that removed all Remainers with integrity from the equation.
    Purging former Chancellors, ministers and MPs drastically reduced not just the talent pool but also the experience pool. In this respect, Boris was the Stalinist, not Corbyn.
  • Options

Purging former Chancellors, ministers and MPs drastically reduced not just the talent pool but also the experience pool. In this respect, Boris was the Stalinist, not Corbyn.

Corbyn did the same, of course.
  • Options

Really???

For Spain as a whole they are reporting 250K cases and 25,613 deaths so far, which means an even higher mortality. However, beware of the denominator! (And the numerator, for that matter).
    And the innumerate, for that matter! :)
  • Options
    BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884

many times a day, there are posts that make me go "well, quite…" but this might be the well quiteiest well quite of them all.
  • Options
    edited May 2020

Bizarre link to the thread subject -- horseracing -- is that Mark Thompson did much to end racing coverage on Channel 4 and the BBC.

A wrong'un. QED.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    edited May 2020
    CSO says "It would have been benificial if we had ramped up testing sooner. For all sorts of reasons it didn't happen."

CSO agrees with BJO
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

I really do miss sport.

Unless you are seriously ill, very much doubt that’s going to be the case. Hope you’re not if that’s what you’re implying
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    A useful thread summarising various studies of how Covid-19 was transmitted in a number of clusters:

https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1257393259929915393
    https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1257393261540519936

(The whole thread, especially from 15 onwards, is worth reading)
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    CSO -Asked what he would change about the UK's response to the virus, Sir Patrick told the committee: "I think that probably we, in the early phases, and I've said this before, I think if we'd managed to ramp testing capacity quicker it would have been beneficial.

"And, you know, for all sorts of reasons that didn't happen.

Deputy CMO - "things would have been done differently" if capacity had not been limited at the time.

Too little too late by Hancock
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    isam said:

I really do miss sport.

Unless you are seriously ill, very much doubt that’s going to be the case. Hope you’re not if that’s what you’re implying
    My parents are approaching their seventies and my mother is on the shielding list. It is a risk I’m not taking especially as we all live under the same roof.

• Options

Doctors and nurses playing doctors and nurses?
  • Options

He's not the PM though. A Corbyn cabinet would have been lightweight but it is this lightweight cabinet which governs us.
  • Options
    You know the idea that we will get herd immunity having caught it once well, um

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-05/mutant-coronavirus-has-emerged-more-contagious-than-original
  • Options

Really???
    I blinked at that as well. Maybe 7.8% of those who receive hospital care?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Important paper, with significant implications for viral transmission, and possibly also for vaccine development.

Spike mutation pipeline reveals the emergence of a more transmissible form of SARS-CoV-2
    https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.29.069054v1.full.pdf
    We have developed an analysis pipeline to facilitate real-time mutation tracking in SARS-CoV-2, focusing initially on the Spike (S) protein because it mediates infection of human cells and is the target of most vaccine strategies and antibody-based therapeutics. To date we have identified fourteen mutations in Spike that are accumulating. Mutations are considered in a broader phylogenetic context, geographically, and over time, to provide an early warning system to reveal mutations that may confer selective advantages in transmission or resistance to interventions. Each one is evaluated for evidence of positive selection, and the implications of the mutation are explored through structural modeling. The mutation Spike D614G is of urgent concern; it began spreading in Europe in early February, and when introduced to new regions it rapidly becomes the dominant form. Also, we present evidence of recombination between locally circulating strains, indicative of multiple strain infections. These finding have important implications for SARS-CoV-2 transmission, pathogenesis and immune interventions....
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,770

Worth a read:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/05/why-has-eastern-europe-suffered-less-from-coronavirus-than-the-west

I think it misses that central and eastern Europe are both emptier and less connected than western Europe, but the point about early lockdown is a fair one.

It is a good story and will be believed because people like a good story but looking at wiki it doesnt look particularly accurate:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_responses_to_the_COVID-19_pandemic

They list 120 lockdowns with Italy as the earliest to start. The median lockdown date was 22 March, which is one day before the UK one.

Of the other big Western European countries, France & Spain are like Italy amongst the earliest to lockdown but have had high death rates, Germany the same day as the UK but has low death rates.
  • Options

Corbyn did not. It was often predicted, and some self-purged in anticipation of mass deselections that never came. Remember CUK and TIG?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

isam said:

I really do miss sport.

My parents are approaching their seventies and my mother is on the shielding list. It is a risk I’m not taking especially as we all live under the same roof.
    Your last sporting event this year then, I hope.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,995
    If the average fatality rate for Covid-19 is say 1%, then if it ripped through the UK it would produce 700,000 deaths. (Probably nearer 500,000 because of the immunity effect).

But only approx 1% of Covid-19 deaths are under 50s with no co-morbidities.

That would be approx 7,000 healthy under 50 deaths.

Suppose all healthy under 50s (65% of the population) were allowed to go back to work as normal, travel, go to pubs and restaurants etc and the virus ripped through them. Approx 5-7,000 would die. It wouldn't overwhelm the NHS. It compares with an average 32,000 deaths a year of the under 50s. It would prevent far more deaths than from continued lockdown. The elderly and vulnerable would have to be protected as now. The economy would recover.

What's wrong with my proposal?
This discussion has been closed.