Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » No, don’t look to a non-Trump/Biden winner

Comments

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387

kinabalu said:

I wouldn't just stop buying chinese phones. I'd stop buying anything Chinese.

I wouldn't just stop buying anything chinese but thinking about anything chinese
    Prawn crackers
    The great wall of China
    Chairman Meo
    Fireworks
    One of our Dinosaurs is Missing
    Most amusing.. but i bet lots of people will stop subconsciously or not. I loathe Chinese food anyway so thats no hardship!
    What do you live on? - Pies?
    I am not Desperate Dan!
    Cow pie...yumm...
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385

Fishing said:

We've reached the Freedom Fries stage. Good to have the marker.

I just want China to cede back control of Hong Kong, for perpetuity.
    Why? We had it in perpetuity before. Our Foreign Office would just find a way to cede it back.
    We didn't, we had it on a 99 year leasehold, I want it back as a freehold.
    To be exact, we had Hong Kong Island and Kowloon Peninsula in perpetuity, and the mainland part of it on a 99 year leasehold.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    rcs1000 said:

On topic, "Health, on the other hand, is a little bit more of an issue. Both men are well into their seventies – Biden much closer to eighty – and Trump is overweight, and there’s a pandemic swirling that is particularly harsh towards those in that age group. It’s far from impossible to see circumstances in which one or the other might be replaced. That said, for the bet to pay out, not only would that candidate have to be replaced but they’d have to win."

I would have though that almost any other Democrat or Republican would do better than Mr Angry Liar and Mr Dementia.

Evidence? Trump won more electoral college votes than any Republican since Bush Snr in 1988 in 2016, Biden is currently polling better than any Democrat since Bill Clinton
  • Options

Fishing said:

Why? We had it in perpetuity before. Our Foreign Office would just find a way to cede it back.
    It was a 250 lease iirc.
    I recalled incorrectly.. 99 it was
    Typical FO short termism.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

felix said:

Can the PB arbiters of what is and isn't reliable media (Guido - yeah!) confirm if there has been a concerted effort to astroturf the government view, just so we poor schmucks don't have to rely on these dodgy types?

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1256557039985328133?s=20

Piers Morgan. Hmmmmmmm.

The panzer grey German car is a nice conciliatory touch.

https://twitter.com/GwynneMP/status/1256558809285345280?s=20

Good god - hope he doesn't live near La Thornberry!
    The only good thing i have ever heard about Piers Morgan is that Jeremy Ckarkson decked him.
    at Richard Madeleys BBQ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    The Financial Times is reporting that thousands of UK office staff working from home are unlikely to return to their place of work anytime soon.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2020
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

On topic, "Health, on the other hand, is a little bit more of an issue. Both men are well into their seventies – Biden much closer to eighty – and Trump is overweight, and there’s a pandemic swirling that is particularly harsh towards those in that age group. It’s far from impossible to see circumstances in which one or the other might be replaced. That said, for the bet to pay out, not only would that candidate have to be replaced but they’d have to win."

I would have though that almost any other Democrat or Republican would do better than Mr Angry Liar and Mr Dementia.

Which does rather beg the question of why they are the ones on the tickets.
    That's easy. The Republican establishment would rather have an electoral hammering this year, than ignite a civil war that lasted a decade.

While the Democrats had a very odd Primary season where Iowa almost didn't happen, and then plausible five moderates got crowded out by a former Republican mayor.
    Bloomberg's contribution to the process was spectacularly negative. I see all talk of him running as an independent has been quietly binned.

If I was wondering who the 5% chance was of someone else (other than a medical replacement) the only one I see that would instantly have the credibility would be Bill Gates. And I can't see him being willing to take it on.
    There are a whole bunch of interesting "what ifs" in this Democratic Primary season...

- what if Biden had decided not to run?

- what if Bernie Sanders hadn't bounced back from his heart attack quickly, and Ms Warren was the sole candidate on the left of the party?

- what if Iowa had gone smoothly, and Buttigieg had gotten the traditional bounce?

- what Bloomberg had decided not to run?

- what if Klobuchar had not had the great debate performance in New Hampshire that catapulted her into third?

If Biden hadn't run, maybe Sherrod Brown would have done. If Warren was the only representative of the left, she might have ended up the nominee. If Iowa had gone smoothly, then maybe Buttigieg would have won New Hampshire and the Democratic establishment would have rallied around him.

And that's the nature of gambling and probability. There are lots of little things that could have had big impacts.
    What if I had laid off my massive green on My Girl The Big Liz when she went odds on. Like a sensible person would have
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Fenman said:

TimT said:

Contemplating a new future. What are going to be the really big changes? Travel and tourism is surely going to be one of them. As a next exporter of tourists, that could be of benefit to the UK. We should also be able to create jobs in the health and care sectors, while there will need to be domestic manufacturing of PPE, so that will be good, too. On top of that, our digital economy could be a significant beneficiary. Where else can we win?

New services in public hygiene in the course of our normal work, shopping and social activities. Britain, for all the whining and self-bashing on this site, has an excellent reputation in this field.

PS what I mean is consulting and certification that work practices and facilities are hygienic with regards to infectious diseases, as are transport, hotel rooms, and so on.
    People looking after family members instead of sending them to die in care homes.
    Easier said than done. Having an aged but otherwise reasonably functional parent come to live with you, if you're lucky enough to have space for them to live in to begin with, is one thing. Devoting your entire life - giving up work, scraping by on minimal benefits - to the backbreaking toil of, for example, washing, feeding and wiping the bottom of a severely demented aged parent (who may also be uncommunicative and violent) is quite another.

Care homes won't be going anywhere.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001

The Financial Times is reporting that thousands of UK office staff working from home are unlikely to return to their place of work anytime soon.

Suits me
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

That's easy. The Republican establishment would rather have an electoral hammering this year, than ignite a civil war that lasted a decade.

While the Democrats had a very odd Primary season where Iowa almost didn't happen, and then plausible five moderates got crowded out by a former Republican mayor.
    Bloomberg's contribution to the process was spectacularly negative. I see all talk of him running as an independent has been quietly binned.

If I was wondering who the 5% chance was of someone else (other than a medical replacement) the only one I see that would instantly have the credibility would be Bill Gates. And I can't see him being willing to take it on.
    Do you really think Bill Gates has more appeal to the white working class in the rustbelt and the black vote the Democrats must turn out to beat Trump than Biden?

White working class I would say yes. Black I don't know. But he would also appeal to a lot of Republicans weary of the chaos, the incoherence, the stupidity and the vulgarity.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,790
    Chris said:

As always, amazing how blind people are to their own prejudices.

"I'd stop buyng anything Jewish" would (presumably) ring an alarm bell even in the thickest of skulls.

"I'd stop buying anything Chinese/Muslim/[fill in your own 'acceptable' target]" will no doubt be vehemently defended, as "not the same thing at all."
    I think the West has moved from ignoring China to being outraged by it. It would be in our self interest to put some effort into understanding it, I think. What's China trying to achieve, how, what do we want to get out of that relationship, when will we try to work around China? China is going to be a powerful presence in the world from now on.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

There are a whole bunch of interesting "what ifs" in this Democratic Primary season...

- what if Bernie Sanders hadn't bounced back from his heart attack quickly, and Ms Warren was the sole candidate on the left of the party?

- what if Iowa had gone smoothly, and Buttigieg had gotten the traditional bounce?

- what if Klobuchar had not had the great debate performance in New Hampshire that catapulted her into third?

If Biden hadn't run, maybe Sherrod Brown would have done. If Warren was the only representative of the left, she might have ended up the nominee. If Iowa had gone smoothly, then maybe Buttigieg would have won New Hampshire and the Democratic establishment would have rallied around him.

And that's the nature of gambling and probability. There are lots of little things that could have had big impacts.
    What if I had laid off my massive green on My Girl The Big Liz when she went odds on. Like a sensible person would have
    I went back to the Clinton well today.
  • Options

Fishing said:

We had the island in perpetuity, the main land territory was on the 99 year lease hold.

We handed back the island even though it was ours forever.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
  • Options
    Chris said:

As always, amazing how blind people are to their own prejudices.

"I'd stop buyng anything Jewish" would (presumably) ring an alarm bell even in the thickest of skulls.
    Sorry. Corbyn and Williamson have already proved that assessment is optimistic.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Evidence? Trump won more electoral college votes than any Republican since Bush Snr in 1988 in 2016, Biden is currently polling better than any Democrat since Bill Clinton
    Yes, but he won a smaller share of the voting age population than Romney.

Don't you think that's extraordinary. A smaller share of voters than Romney.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Well of course not. Working from home is one of the policies that one would expect to have the biggest effect on transmission of the disease and, simultaneously, the smallest effect on economic activity.

Train companies and other businesses servicing the needs of all the non-existent commuters will self-evidently be completely screwed because of this, but in other respects it increases efficiency and wealth. So why shouldn't it just go on and on?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Sherrod Brown did run. He didn't get any traction, probably because of Biden and the amount of media coverage Mayor Pete attracted.

He would have been a decent runner, and was the candidate I first piled on way back in October 2018.
    https://time.com/5547529/sherrod-brown-presidential-campaign-2020/
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Fishing said:

We had the island in perpetuity, the main land territory was on the 99 year lease hold.

We handed back the island even though it was ours forever because Deng Xioapeng said he would take it by force if we didn’t and there was feck all we could do to stop him.
    FTFY.
  • Options
    David Herdson, who runs the politics blog PoliticalBetting.com,
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Do you really think Bill Gates has more appeal to the white working class in the rustbelt and the black vote the Democrats must turn out to beat Trump than Biden?

White working class I would say yes. Black I don't know. But he would also appeal to a lot of Republicans weary of the chaos, the incoherence, the stupidity and the vulgarity.
    Trump still has almost a 90% approval rating with Republicans, centrist Republicans Gates might appeal to leave in safe Democratic states like California, Washington state and New York which voted for Hillary anyway.

It is the rustbelt the Democrats need to win to beat Trump
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

IanB2 said:

The US overtakes Italy in total cases per population

But less than half the rate of death. Has there been a significant improvement in treatments since the early days of northern Italy? It seems odd.
    Italy has many more multi-generational families than the US. Young people, who socialise, get the disease and bring it home. That infects the elderly in Italy, and the housemates in the US.
    You think? Even amongst the Mexican community, for example? I think the explanations are likely to prove more complex and diffuse.
    The Mexican community (in LA) will be living six to a two room shotgun house. But granny is unlikely to be with them. She'll be back in Mexico receiving wires via Union Express.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Pulpstar said:

:open_mouth:

It's a coup!!
  • Options
    I see that OGH has apparently been Vanished as well.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Not in the Midwest swing states though nor in Florida and in actual votes Trump won more than Romney did
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    edited May 2020
    David Herdson, who runs the politics blog PoliticalBetting.com, said the 5-12 percent prediction is hugely significant.

Palace coup?

Edit, damn beaten to it. Of course.

Everyone pick a side, establishment or revolutionaries

I absolutely stand with *checks to see if OGH/TSE around* the new order.

Oh crap, I forgot the crown prince!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

What's the end game of demonising the UK media? Has anybody in Government, i.e. the one man who is actually the government, thought of the long-term consequences? It would not be so difficult for a future Labour government to create a captive state media alternative to the BBC and to regulate Twitter and Facebook into submission.

See America, Fox and the GOP. If your party has its own channel, it can have its own facts. The war is not against the MSM but against the very concept of truth.
    Yes. I'm afraid this is often the case. If those who routinely shout about "fake news!" in the dreaded "MSM" were instead turning to a plethora of intellectually rigorous, unbiased and well researched alternative outlets/sources, that would be fine and dandy. But they're not. They tend to be staggeringly dumb units, easily led, gorging on a diet of utter drivel. It's a real worry.
    The cure is to raise the game.

Not to say "so what to" when their reputation for facts looks like this -

But most people who decry the MSM are not looking for facts. They're looking for validation of the mush in their head.
    Well, I am looking for facts. And there are quite a few people who are as well. Hence ArsTechnica being a good business etc.
    I am sure you are. And of course many others. All power to you. But that is not the template for MSM haters. I'd draw a comparison with intelligent, humane and knowledgeable Leavers. There are plenty of them too, some on here, but they are nevertheless highly unrepresentative of the breed.
    You should look at some the surveys of beliefs of anti-vaxers - might surprise you.

But to the main point - you can't fight back by saying "Our opponents are morally wrong to point out our mistakes"

The Catholic church tried that for centuries, for example. It hasn't worked.

If you want to have a reputation for accuracy, you have to earn it. Demanding a reputation doesn't work.

Hang Walter Duranty's Pulitzer Prize on your wall, if you like. But you will be judged for it.
    I'm not saying it's wrong to point out (the many) mistakes in the MSM. It isn't. It's completely right to do so. What I'm saying is that those who are forever accusing the MSM of fake news - and especially if they use that phrase - are almost without exception softheads and nutters. This makes it more difficult than it should be for people like you - rational critics of the MSM - to be heard. The smearers of the MSM are a bigger menace to you, to me, than the MSM is.

What would surprise me about the views of anti-vaxers? Not sure I follow what you're getting at there.
    The biggest menace to the MSM is the MSM. Every time the publish a story with obvious mistakes they are enabling the nutters.
    C'mon. These people are not "enabled" by media mistakes. They don't need mistakes at all. They use the "fake news" slur indiscriminately. It has nothing to do with whether something is true or not. Only whether it goes against their warped extremist views. If it does QED it's fake. It's a total disgrace how they carry on.

As is what you say here. Imagine somebody being relentlessly bullied who also happens to make mistakes in life. Then you come along and you tell the victim that it's their fault. By making mistakes they are enabling the bullies. You see how this is not the way to go?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Sherrod Brown did run. He didn't get any traction, probably because of Biden and the amount of media coverage Mayor Pete attracted.

He would have been a decent runner, and was the candidate I first piled on way back in October 2018.
    https://time.com/5547529/sherrod-brown-presidential-campaign-2020/
    Thanks. I guess it depends on the term 'running' :smiley:
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    Pulpstar said:

David is the one who sets the site's editorial policies on Die Hard not being a Christmas film and why pineapple should never go on pizza.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

David is the one who sets the site's editorial policies on Die Hard not being a Christmas film and why pineapple should never go on pizza.
    Then I'm siding with the counterrevolutionaries.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Contemplating a new future. What are going to be the really big changes? Travel and tourism is surely going to be one of them. As a next exporter of tourists, that could be of benefit to the UK. We should also be able to create jobs in the health and care sectors, while there will need to be domestic manufacturing of PPE, so that will be good, too. On top of that, our digital economy could be a significant beneficiary. Where else can we win?

Digital tourism - there may be gullibles willing to pay for digital site tours, etc
    Why is everyone so sure travel and tourism will die? It is only a couple of weeks since we were barricading motorways to stop people driving to beauty spots and the French were turning back billionaires and secretaries.
    I agree - but until the arrival of cure or vaccine - it's going to be either illegal or very, very expensive.
    Isn't that a bit simplistic?

In the US, travel across state lines will return fairly quickly. Holidays will happen, just - mostly as now - staying in country.

In Europe, Schengen will slowly return. First in places like Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands, where it's simply too expensive not to exist. Then among neighbouring countries which both have things under control. Simply, it's too expensive not to allow the relatively free movement of goods and people among many of the European countries.

Germans will probably drive to holidays in Southern Europe rather than fly (and that's bad for Greece, but probably good for the Northern touristy bits of Italy and Spain).

What will take a longer time to return will be airplanes, because there will be a natural and understandable suspicion that a large number of people who spend hours in a metal box coming from far away might end up all infecting themselves.

But if you assume that - three years from now - we have a working vaccine, reasonable treatments, and a large number of people who have already had it, and therefore have at least partial immunity, then why wouldn't tourism return? Brits will still want sunshine and skiing. Chinese and Japanese will still want to see Big Ben. American businessmen will still want to sell Australian ones.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

See you on the barricades, comrade.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368
    DavidL said:

What about rare earth metals for our batteries and catalytic converters? Are we not going to buy them either?

That is difficult. I grant you but if its branded as chinese one can pass on it. I note my M and S slippers are made on Vietnam.. so thats ok even if its another communist dictatorship
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

You and I are the only people on PB who think that is relevant.
  • Options
    Has everyone, or indeed anyone noted this page

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga=2.77846484.1753798399.1588260431-1445263436.1586350960

Here's the important graphs regarding tests from it:

• Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

Trump still has almost a 90% approval rating with Republicans, centrist Republicans Gates might appeal to leave in safe Democratic states like California, Washington state and New York which voted for Hillary anyway.

What percentage of people are now identifying as Republican?
  • Options
    To give a hint Gallup's latest figure is 27% Republican.

90% of that is heck all.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Pulpstar said:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/?_ga=2.77846484.1753798399.1588260431-1445263436.1586350960

What’s the significant thing here?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Cases are way down despite testing being way up.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Not in the Midwest swing states though nor in Florida and in actual votes Trump won more than Romney did
    Yeah, but rising populations pretty much ensure that each President gets more votes than the last, so that's not a high bar.

President Trump won because Hillary Clinton was a monumentally poor candidate who went down like a bucket of cold sick in the Midwest.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And I.

Next weekend I'm publishing a thread entitled 'Why have Republicans only won the popular vote once in the last seven Presidential elections?'

Is it really sustainable when the winning side keeps on the losing the election?

• Options

Pulpstar said:

Also for the Express that really counts as accurate. I mean he contributes. Close enough.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

The number of registered Republicans just fell below the number of registered Independents for the first time in history.

So, he's enthusing those that are left, while driving out others from the party.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

It's the correct analysis for tests carried out by PHE. The difference between the 180k and the 120k is the "commercial partner" element.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Yeah, but rising populations pretty much ensure that each President gets more votes than the last, so that's not a high bar.

President Trump won because Hillary Clinton was a monumentally poor candidate who went down like a bucket of cold sick in the Midwest.
    He won because like the Brexit vote and Boris' 2019 win the white working class were fed up of globalisation and uncontrolled immigration, for the Midwest and rustbelt there read the North and Midlands here
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

What's the end game of demonising the UK media? Has anybody in Government, i.e. the one man who is actually the government, thought of the long-term consequences? It would not be so difficult for a future Labour government to create a captive state media alternative to the BBC and to regulate Twitter and Facebook into submission.

See America, Fox and the GOP. If your party has its own channel, it can have its own facts. The war is not against the MSM but against the very concept of truth.
    Yes. I'm afraid this is often the case. If those who routinely shout about "fake news!" in the dreaded "MSM" were instead turning to a plethora of intellectually rigorous, unbiased and well researched alternative outlets/sources, that would be fine and dandy. But they're not. They tend to be staggeringly dumb units, easily led, gorging on a diet of utter drivel. It's a real worry.

But most people who decry the MSM are not looking for facts. They're looking for validation of the mush in their head.
    Well, I am looking for facts. And there are quite a few people who are as well. Hence ArsTechnica being a good business etc.
    I am sure you are. And of course many others. All power to you. But that is not the template for MSM haters. I'd draw a comparison with intelligent, humane and knowledgeable Leavers. There are plenty of them too, some on here, but they are nevertheless highly unrepresentative of the breed.
    You should look at some the surveys of beliefs of anti-vaxers - might surprise you.

But to the main point - you can't fight back by saying "Our opponents are morally wrong to point out our mistakes"

If you want to have a reputation for accuracy, you have to earn it. Demanding a reputation doesn't work.

Hang Walter Duranty's Pulitzer Prize on your wall, if you like. But you will be judged for it.
    I'm not saying it's wrong to point out (the many) mistakes in the MSM. It isn't. It's completely right to do so. What I'm saying is that those who are forever accusing the MSM of fake news - and especially if they use that phrase - are almost without exception softheads and nutters. This makes it more difficult than it should be for people like you - rational critics of the MSM - to be heard. The smearers of the MSM are a bigger menace to you, to me, than the MSM is.

What would surprise me about the views of anti-vaxers? Not sure I follow what you're getting at there.
    Its not so much it is fake news but that any time the press write about a subject you know a fair amount about you find them so hideously wrong about everything that it is more or less misinformation. Frankly if a journalist told me it was raining these days I would insist on checking for myself.

If when they talk about things I know about they are so ill informed I can only assume that when they are talking about something I know nothing about they are probably just as ill informed and I would be better off ignoring anything they say as its likely claptrap.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

No, it is because Hillary did not campaign in the Midwest. Her campaign team made the same mistake it made against Obama in the primaries eight years earlier, of weighing votes when it should have been counting delegates.
  • Options

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And I.

Next weekend I'm publishing a thread entitled 'Why have Republicans only won the popular vote once in the last seven Presidential elections?'

Is it really sustainable when the winning side keeps on the losing the election?
    And the scandal here too where the winning side keeps on losing the argument.
  • Options

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And I.

When the popular vote is irrelevant in electing the president yes
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

He won because like the Brexit vote and Boris' 2019 win the white working class were fed up of globalisation and uncontrolled immigration, for the Midwest and rustbrlt there read the North and Midlands here
    Does this mean that if Biden wins this time around that the white working class now demand more globalisation and completely uncontrolled immigration?

Or does it mean that Biden is not Hillary?

I'm going for the second, but feel free to go for the first if you like.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

Talkin' 'bout a counter-revolution.

Sign me up. Ho ho ho. Now I've got a pineapple.....
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094
    Love how @HYUFD continues to love to speak for the white working class of the North and the Midlands from his middle class part of Essex. Champagne working class as it were.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,539
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

He won because like the Brexit vote and Boris' 2019 win the white working class were fed up of globalisation and uncontrolled immigration, for the Midwest and rustbelt there read the North and Midlands here
    Trump won because he convinced the disposessed he was on their side. To paraphrase the Marquess of Queensberry, it was Donald Trump, posing as a populist.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,582
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

The biggest menace to the MSM is the MSM. Every time the publish a story with obvious mistakes they are enabling the nutters.
    C'mon. These people are not "enabled" by media mistakes. They don't need mistakes at all. They use the "fake news" slur indiscriminately. It has nothing to do with whether something is true or not. Only whether it goes against their warped extremist views. If it does QED it's fake. It's a total disgrace how they carry on.

As is what you say here. Imagine somebody being relentlessly bullied who also happens to make mistakes in life. Then you come along and you tell the victim that it's their fault. By making mistakes they are enabling the bullies. You see how this is not the way to go?
    Imagine your job is to present facts. Then someone comes along and points out your mistakes. Is that bullying?

The lawyer, who recently participated in convicting a woman under a law that doesn't exist - is criticising that bullying?

The policeman who threaten to fit up someone - is the problem filming him doing it? Is that bullying? Or is it his fault?

The banker who lost their shirts in 2008 - their job was to manage money. Is critiquing them bullying? Or is their fault?

CNN, for example, were very keep on the idea that they, a multi-billion dollar organsiation were being hounded by people in their pyjamas.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

No, it is because Hillary did not campaign in the Midwest. Her campaign team made the same mistake it made against Obama in the primaries eight years earlier, of weighing votes when it should have been counting delegates.
    It's a fair point: Trump's margins were miniscule across the Midwest. If she had campaigned in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, then it might have been President Clinton.

But I would still point out that Ms Clinton had negatives up the wazoo. And lots of reliably Democratic voters stayed home rather than going out to vote for her.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,368

Love how @HYUFD continues to love to speak for the white working class of the North and the Midlands from his middle class part of Essex. Champagne working class as it were.

I dint know but we know all about champagne socialists . Di
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

It's a fair point: Trump's margins were miniscule across the Midwest. If she had campaigned in Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, then it might have been President Clinton.

But I would still point out that Ms Clinton had negatives up the wazoo. And lots of reliably Democratic voters stayed home rather than going out to vote for her.
    Not just her. The election was a landslide for the DNV party.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

He won because like the Brexit vote and Boris' 2019 win the white working class were fed up of globalisation and uncontrolled immigration, for the Midwest and rustbrlt there read the North and Midlands here
    Does this mean that if Biden wins this time around that the white working class now demand more globalisation and completely uncontrolled immigration?

Or does it mean that Biden is not Hillary?

I'm going for the second, but feel free to go for the first if you like.
    It means Biden is seen as less of a globalist than Hillary and more protectionist, which is probably true
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

To be exact, we had Hong Kong Island and Kowloon Peninsula in perpetuity, and the mainland part of it on a 99 year leasehold.
    Yes. We should have held the Chinese to their word.

Personally, though, I think it's probably gone for good. But we can have Hong Kongers without Hong Kong. We should give Hong Kong ID card holders UK citizenship if they want it, certainly if China breaks the One Country Two Systems formula. We should have done so in 1997.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

Imagine your job is to present facts. Then someone comes along and points out your mistakes. Is that bullying?

The lawyer, who recently participated in convicting a woman under a law that doesn't exist - is criticising that bullying?

The policeman who threaten to fit up someone - is the problem filming him doing it? Is that bullying? Or is it his fault?

The banker who lost their shirts in 2008 - their job was to manage money. Is critiquing them bullying? Or is their fault?

CNN, for example, were very keep on the idea that they, a multi-billion dollar organsiation were being hounded by people in their pyjamas.
    What bananas?
  • Options

Alistair said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

And I.

Well, if California and New York would stop being so reliably Democrat these last seven Presidential elections.... Takes an awful lot of Utah's to overturn them.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

Its not so much it is fake news but that any time the press write about a subject you know a fair amount about you find them so hideously wrong about everything that it is more or less misinformation. Frankly if a journalist told me it was raining these days I would insist on checking for myself.

If when they talk about things I know about they are so ill informed I can only assume that when they are talking about something I know nothing about they are probably just as ill informed and I would be better off ignoring anything they say as its likely claptrap.
    Really? I can't say I find that myself. It could be that I have little expertise in anything (which is true) or it could be I tend to read quality publications (also true). Certainly if I have a skim through, say, the Sun or the Mirror I will feel as you do. Which is why I rarely do that.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

Personally, though, I think it's probably gone for good. But we can have Hong Kongers without Hong Kong. We should give Hong Kong ID card holders UK citizenship if they want it, certainly if China breaks the One Country Two Systems formula. We should have done so in 1997.
    I suppose it depends how much we want to annoy the PRC after all this is done. I see the US are already at it with tweets about giving the ROC a role at the UN.
  • Options

Some parts of Essex are middle class, others less so. Same as the north and the midlands.
  • Options

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

A friend messaged me this earlier on this week.

I require therapy.

• Options

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I require therapy.

I can't decide if this is too much pineapple, or not enough.
  • Options
    The slightly weird thing about that article is that David Herdson's views are given so much prominance we never find out what Princess Di would have thought.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

Deng’s view - and with this I admit I have some sympathy - was that an island seized by force and ceded at swordpoint as a trading station for hard drugs was not something that he, three revolutions and a changed world order later, needed to recognise as a legitimate colony.

His solution, which again was not unreasonable as a compromise to escape a knotty problem, was One Country, Two Systems.

The problem is that the Chinese, and especially Xi, have not kept to it.
  • Options
    edited May 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Some parts of Essex are middle class, others less so. Same as the north and the midlands.
    My part of Essex is part nouveau riche, part traditional middle class mainly as is Brentwood.

North Essex is posh, Home Counties middle class as is Chelmsford.

Harlow, Basildon, Thurrock and the Essex coast are mainly working class
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

Let's not be unnecessarily restrictive, he also loves to speak for a handy (though smaller than he thinks) chunk of Scottish and NI Unionists.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

Really? I can't say I find that myself. It could be that I have little expertise in anything (which is true) or it could be I tend to read quality publications (also true). Certainly if I have a skim through, say, the Sun or the Mirror I will feel as you do. Which is why I rarely do.
    I work in IT, even the times manages to get most things about it completely wrong, the bbc even more so. They are both dire and the rest are generally even worse. Why should I then believe they do a better job at anything else.

A good example of their idiocy was that letter signed by all those professors about the virus....only most were grad students and even the professors were in subjects that had nothing to do with biology let alone virology.

In my view anyone who pays any attention on any subject to anything the MSM have to say is asking to be given their information as filtered by dunces. These days I find it much better to visit specialist websites for all the information I need.

For example I will check out the register, techdirt, ars technica, wired for information on it related stuff. For general politics I will come here as my main site and read a couple of others.

Frankly that probably makes me about 10 times as informed as people that rely on the tv news, Times, Guardian etc.

MSM is not fit for purpose and hopefully will goto the wall before long
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,713

He also tells us there is nothing wrong with the local mosque belting out the call to prayer through a PA system when his 'local' mosque is 20 miles away.
  • Options
    Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

The Labour party threatened all kinds of things over the rumour that John Major was considering handing out 100s of thousands of UK passports to Hong Kong people.

Apparently they were the wrong kind of (potential) immigrants.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

China's word on Hong Kong was that it was an integral part of China extracted by force. I'm not sure holding them to their word would have delivered a different result.
  • Options

Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

The Labour party threatened all kinds of things over the rumour that John Major was considering handing out 100s of thousands of UK passports to Hong Kong people.

Not exactly client-staters?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

Not at all. All of that is valid and necessary criticism.

But take the lawyer. If a bunch of rabid nutters are going around demonizing the legal profession for no good reason at all, is it acceptable or correct to say that a particular crooked and incompetent lawyer is "enabling" them.

No - because the nutters would do it anyway.

See?

I suspect we are making different points. I agree with yours. I think on reflection you will agree with mine.
  • Options

He also tells us there is nothing wrong with the local mosque belting out the call to prayer through a PA system when his 'local' mosque is 20 miles away.
    We do have church bells here, the Muslim population is a tiny fraction of that in East London so less demand
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Pulpstar said:

I require therapy.

I can't decide if this is too much pineapple, or not enough.
    You need another slice with slightly less and then one with slightly more to know for sure....
  • Options

If you don't need to, why expose yourself to unnecessary risk? Especially if you commute by public transport.

I expect to be WFH until at least the Autumn.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,032
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

Really? I can't say I find that myself. It could be that I have little expertise in anything (which is true) or it could be I tend to read quality publications (also true). Certainly if I have a skim through, say, the Sun or the Mirror I will feel as you do. Which is why I rarely do.
    I work in IT, even the times manages to get most things about it completely wrong, the bbc even more so. They are both dire and the rest are generally even worse. Why should I then believe they do a better job at anything else.

A good example of their idiocy was that letter signed by all those professors about the virus....only most were grad students and even the professors were in subjects that had nothing to do with biology let alone virology.

In my view anyone who pays any attention on any subject to anything the MSM have to say is asking to be given their information as filtered by dunces. These days I find it much better to visit specialist websites for all the information I need.

For example I will check out the register, techdirt, ars technica, wired for information on it related stuff. For general politics I will come here as my main site and read a couple of others.

Frankly that probably makes me about 10 times as informed as people that rely on the tv news, Times, Guardian etc.

What is your desired replacement? The media are amateurs. However, government information services are also amateurs. Where do we think the general politics news stories on this site come from - Mars? Generally from the m***a.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

I am an IT professional - generally major media stories get at least one thing wrong.

I am also a professional in the field of Operations Research - stories that touch on that are usually badly wrong.

I work in finance - but not a subject matter trained expert. A recent story in the FT was something I knew about directly. In the three sentences they made 4 errors of fact. This was something that was re-casting a press release...

I have serious hobby interests in engineering, chemistry, physics, cryptography & military history - stories on these generally have major errors,

Politics around the world is a hobby. The mistakes the UK media makes about even US politics are staggering.

At some point you have to wonder if their stories on who will win the Oscars are bollocks as well... Where's Woger?

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,337
    WFH will absolutely carry on because it will have to. As has been pointed out at length this is a serious problem for all the businesses who make their money from people commuting to an office - builders, landlords, cleaners, train companies, expensive coffee, Pret etc etc.

And many of us will go stir crazy. It's day 46...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,261

Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

'Apparently'?

I'm sure after a jaunt through the concept of unreliable media you can give chapter and verse on this being the actual case.
  • Options

Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

Michael Howard's refusal to offer passports was endorsed by Jack Straw.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,921

I wouldn't just stop buying chinese phones. I'd stop buying anything Chinese.

Without making a song and dance about it I will be avoiding buying anything from China. I think their live markets are vile and this was clearly a disaster waiting to happen and when it did happen I do believe they tried to cover it up and lie about the scale of it. Won't be rewarding that behaviour I'm afraid.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

What is your desired replacement? The media are amateurs. However, government information services are also amateurs. Where do we think the general politics news stories on this site come from - Mars? Generally from the m***a.
    The same as is happening now blogger seem to be doing a damn site better at rooting out stories, researching them , checking facts and getting information right. Also more specialised news sites.

Yes you obviously have to take care working out which bloggers are doing a good job and avoid those like Novara Media however you had to do that with the MSM once upon a time however now the MSM just threw out standards and aren't worth bothering about.
  • Options

If you don't need to, why expose yourself to unnecessary risk? Especially if you commute by public transport.

I expect to be back in the office by mid June, though I WFH one day a week anyway.

I am under 50 and will wear a face mask on the tube, if I was over 50 I might stick to WFH though
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

I am an IT professional - generally major media stories get at least one thing wrong.

I am also a professional in the field of Operations Research - stories that touch on that are usually badly wrong.

I work in finance - but not a subject matter trained expert. A recent story in the FT was something I knew about directly. In the three sentences they made 4 errors of fact. This was something that was re-casting a press release...

I have serious hobby interests in engineering, chemistry, physics, cryptography & military history - stories on these generally have major errors,

Politics around the world is a hobby. The mistakes the UK media makes about even US politics are staggering.

At some point you have to wonder if their stories on who will win the Oscars are bollocks as well... Where's Woger?

Precisely my point, if you always find major errors on things you know about how can you believe everything else they write isn't similarly riddled with inaccuracy, misunderstanding and downright falsehood
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    EPG said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

The thing is that it never used to matter as getting accurate information was until the Internet impossible. It's only now the internet is everywhere that the poor quality of most journalism and their inability to actually do research or think has become obvious.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,020
    Pagan2 said:

Precisely my point, if you always find major errors on things you know about how can you believe everything else they write isn't similarly riddled with inaccuracy, misunderstanding and downright falsehood

I stopped reading the economist 25 years ago for exactly that reason.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

A few of my clients have already suggested taking less space in future, as some people WFH never return to office work, or cumulatively work fewer office hours.

I wait to see if the trickle becomes a flood, but I wouldn't be wholly surprised.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

Newspapers get things wrong, as do radio and TV but mostly they are trying. Decrying 'MSM' as Trump supporters do implies that the non-mainstream peripheral media (Infowars, Breitbart, Fox News?) is fair and factual. That's patently rubbish.
  • Options

Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

'Apparently'?

I'm sure after a jaunt through the concept of unreliable media you can give chapter and verse on this being the actual case.
    He's talking nonsense. The refusal to offer passports to Hong Kong citizens was a policy conceived by the then Home Secretary Michael Howard, albeit endorsed by the Labour opposition.
  • Options

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

Pagan2 said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

EPG said:

Newspapers get things wrong, as do radio and TV but mostly they are trying. Decrying 'MSM' as Trump supporters do implies that the non-mainstream peripheral media (Infowars, Breitbart, Fox News?) is fair and factual. That's patently rubbish.
    I don't think anyone claimed they are factual. Decrying the MSM for being slapdash and usually wrong does not imply support for sites that are equally non factual
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Alistair said:

Fishing said:

Fishing said:

ydoethur said:

Fishing said:

China's word on Hong Kong was that it was an integral part of China extracted by force. I'm not sure holding them to their word would have delivered a different result.
    The problem was that without the mainland Kowloon and the Island would not be viable. The power and water supplies were too integrated.

Thatcher, in 1982 and flushed with success from the Falklands War, proposed to Deng that this meant the entire colony should stay with Britain.

Deng replies if that was her attitude he would simply reoccupy it immediately using force. He claimed had only not done so before because he had expected the British to keep their word on returning it.

Thatcher, not being stupid and realising the PLA were an altogether different proposition from the Argentines, realised the position was hopeless. So she agreed a handover over of the whole lot on the One Country, Two Systems basis.
  • Options
    Just had two magpies having a fight in the back garden. Never observed that behaviour before.
  • Options

A few of my clients have already suggested taking less space in future, as some people WFH never return to office work, or cumulatively work fewer office hours.

I wait to see if the trickle becomes a flood, but I wouldn't be wholly surprised.
    If there's no vaccine and social distancing has to remain in place for the near future then we've worked out we can only accommodate 60% of our employees at any one time, and that's with using meeting rooms, presentational halls etc.

So we think circa 40% of staff will have to work from home or we take on additional office space.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2020
    Deaths in Italy jumped up in today's update. But Lombardia included in the tally 282 extra hospitals deaths reported by municipalities in their monthly communication. They are for the whole month of April.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,715

Just had two magpies having a fight in the back garden. Never observed that behaviour before.

It beats eating the fledglings of other birds...
This discussion has been closed.