Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ICM’s phone poll for December sees CON get 3 pc closer

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » ICM’s phone poll for December sees CON get 3 pc closer

ICM gender divide on the recovery
Men say by 57% to 38%, that recovery is under way
Women say by 46% to 44% that it isn't

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited December 2013
    Hhmmm

Is a 5% Labour lead enough at this stage of the electoral cycle ?

No it certainly is not.
  • Options
    ICM/The Sunil on Sunday Monday:

Progressives 49%
    Assorted fruitcakes/loonies 41%
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    ICM now out of date!
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Labour support for SMEs cupcakes, bloody cupcakes.

http://www.labour.org.uk/today-the-whole-country-stands-with-small-businesses-like-mine

Might have guessed they wouldn't be fruitcakes.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2013
    Last months leftie frothing, no one took my bet up.... now we see why!

Scrapheap_as_was • Posts: 943
    November 11 • edited November 11
    Who will bet me that next months same monthly Guardian ICM shows a Lab lead of only 5% or less? I say it will be. Who says it won't?
  • Options
    5% deficit with the Gold standard, with just under 18 months to go.

Interesting times.
  • Options

So, you are predicting Cleggasm II ? The Return of the Cleggasm ? Multiple Cleggasms ?

More like petite mort..
    A "Reverse Cleggasm" then. That'll be fun.
  • Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    JackW said:

Hhmmm

No it certainly is not.

Might be. Polling is incredibly stable, and has been for a long time.

If minds are that made up, even the Magic Swingback Fairies might not be able to save the Tories.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Broken sleazy anti-CON on the slide.
  • Options
    Interestingly enough, 5 years ago, at the same point in the cycle, the Tories were on 38% and Labour were on 33% so a 5% lead.

Though this was one of those credit crunch polls.

Either side the Tory leads were 15% and 12%
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Can't leave the funniest finding on the old thread..

""The poll also asked voters whether they were worried that the emerging recovery was based on an unsustainable new property boom. Overall, voters dismissed this concern – which has been raised by the business secretary, Vince Cable, among others – by 49% to 34%. Even in the south, where housing is so costly, 45% disagree with the suggestion that growth is fuelled by a property bubble, and only 35% agree.""
  • Options
    MikeK said:

ICM now out of date!

How can it be out of date?

The fieldwork ended yesterday.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,311
    "ICM: Those feeling no benefit from recovery outnumbered those who did by two to one or more"

The above could actually be very encouraging for Con.

Because it means there is huge scope for upside - if we get 18 months of strong growth up to the GE and if by the GE most people are then feeling the benefit then it may feed through at the ballot box.

It's not surprising it isn't feeding through in the polls yet if most people aren't feeling it yet.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    MikeL, another promising item is that there are more LAB voters than CON which means greater potentials for gains. .................;)
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    ICM
    Populus
    YouGov

All MOE.

Nothing is happening out there. Nada.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Interestingly enough, 5 years ago, at the same point in the cycle, the Tories were on 38% and Labour were on 33% so a 5% lead.

Labour were on 33% at this stage in the last electoral cycle? 4% HIGHER than they ended up getting in the election itself?

But I thought the Tories were adamantly insisting that all incumbent governments get a swing back as the election comes?
  • Options
    Looking back at last months ICM related excitement...to what was an outlier ...

November 12
    NickPalmer said:
    I claim a small canvassing prize for tentatively identifying the weakening Tory position here yesterday on the basis of the last couple of weeks' returns. The "don't let Labour ruin it" line isn't working at all, as (a) people don't feel well off, and are irritated by the Tories claiming that things are getting much better and (b) they don't think there's much difference in how parties handle the economy. I think they should, so do others here (though with different outcomes), but most people really don't.

NPx - Did you accept my open offer of betting the next monthly ICM shows a lead of 5% or less then? No on else did so I believe - not exactly ringing support from the PBreds?

MikeSmithson • Posts: 1,061
    November 11
    This is a very bad poll for the Tories particuarly as it comes from a pollster with such a record for getting it right.
    Flag
    Quote · Off Topic

tim • Posts: 14,309
    November 11
    The gender gap is stunning, and the leader ratings continue to improve for Miliband - it's firming up the 2010 LDs and has been since Syria.

Oh, and it's a good time to remember the PB Tory motto

The PB Tories are always wrong
    The PB Tories never learn

• Options
    R0berts said:

JackW said:

Hhmmm

No it certainly is not.

Might be. Polling is incredibly stable, and has been for a long time.

If minds are that made up, even the Magic Swingback Fairies might not be able to save the Tories.
    I don't think it is that minds are made up, more that minds are not fully attuned to electing the next government and that when they do turnout will see Ed rejected.

• Options
    @JackW

For the record, on which of the remaining 514 days until the election do you forecast swingback-crossover to occur?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Labour were on 33% at this stage in the last electoral cycle? 4% HIGHER than they ended up getting in the election itself?

But I thought the Tories were adamantly insisting that all incumbent governments get a swing back as the election comes?
    Read the rest of the post.

It was a credit crunch bounce poll, they were down to the 20s soon enough

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2009/oct/21/icm-poll-data-labour-conservatives
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Not when they are as abject as Labour were 2008-2010.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    MikeL said:

"ICM: Those feeling no benefit from recovery outnumbered those who did by two to one or more"

The above could actually be very encouraging for Con.

Because it means there is huge scope for upside - if we get 18 months of strong growth up to the GE and if by the GE most people are then feeling the benefit then it may feed through at the ballot box.

It's not surprising it isn't feeding through in the polls yet if most people aren't feeling it yet.

What does 2% growth feel like to you? The vast majority will never notice one way or another.

But 2000 more people a day are in work and some of them can vote. Those that work in private firms will start to feel a little more secure in their jobs. The millions who still work for the public sector won't.

The tories need Labour down to the mid 30s and so far that is not happening.

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    It's not a good look for Dave and George to be touting a recovery when half of the country doesn't benefit from it. They must to better to spread the proceeds from our nascent recovery to regions outside of London and the South East.

On women not finding benefits from a recovery, it's easy. A higher proportion of women work in part-time, minimum wage jobs and the minimum wage is rising more slowly than inflation, so their wages are decreasing in real terms. It actually explains a lot of the gender divide that tim loves to highlight.

Economic competence means nought if the benefits of it can't be seen by man on the street.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Read the rest of the post.

It was a credit crunch bounce poll, they were down to the 20s soon enough

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2009/oct/21/icm-poll-data-labour-conservatives
    I was being a bit facetious with that post, but I do genuinely believe that Labour's average poll rating between 2005-10 was higher than their real score in the election (as in, probably more polls put them at 30% or above, than below).

Similarly, in the '01 and '05 elections, Labour did MUCH less well than the vast majority of polls in the 4 years before had indicated

The last 3 elections have all seen the governing party do WORSE than "midterm" polls had indicated (we have to go back to the 90s, when polling methods were much less sophisticated, to find any evidence of governments getting significant swingback). So I find the Tories' complacency, both here and in the media, quite strange
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    As I posted earlier individual polls at this point are meaningless. The Labour lead is low and probably soft. People still feel poor and dislike the govt accordingly but there is no enthusiasm for the Eds because people know they're basically pretty crap.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    MaxPB said:

It's not a good look for Dave and George to be touting a recovery when half of the country doesn't benefit from it. They must to better to spread the proceeds from our nascent recovery to regions outside of London and the South East.

On women not finding benefits from a recovery, it's easy. A higher proportion of women work in part-time, minimum wage jobs and the minimum wage is rising more slowly than inflation, so their wages are decreasing in real terms. It actually explains a lot of the gender divide that tim loves to highlight.

Economic competence means nought if the benefits of it can't be seen by man on the street.

I think your suggestion of a higher than inflation minimum wage increase really has to be a priority for the government. If you can't risk this when employment is rocketing when can you?

I would love to know what it would cost the government. Directly and indirectly they employ a lot of people on minimum wage. OTOH some of it would be clawed back from benefits for those on in work benefits, particularly women. Money is tight but it would be a good move and it would do the most good in the north where wages are lower.

• Options
    felix said:

As I posted earlier individual polls at this point are meaningless. The Labour lead is low and probably soft. People still feel poor and dislike the govt accordingly but there is no enthusiasm for the Eds because people know they're basically pretty crap.

There's no enthusiasm for ANY politicians in general, anywhere in the world (with the exception of a few non-political court jesters like Boris and Farage). You just need to be less unpopular than your opponents, you don't need any great enthusiasm yourselves.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Progressives 49%

Your maths is wrong:

Progressives (C + LD): 44%
    Assorted fruitcakes/loonies: 46%
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@JackW

For the record, on which of the remaining 514 days until the election do you forecast swingback-crossover to occur?

For the record I expect some level of parity within MoE by the back end of next year. There may be a few outliers before then.

I expect polls in the last days of the election campaign to see consistent Con leads. I expect differential turnout to ensure the Conservatives remain the largest party with an prospect, although not large, of a small Con majority.

My ARSE presently projects a Coalition majority of 30 seats.

• Options

MikeK said:

ICM now out of date!

How can it be out of date?

The fieldwork ended yesterday.
    Because there's another poll that shows a result which MikeK prefers ;-)
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited December 2013
    I'm not convinced by this 'voters must feel the recovery personally before it will influence voting behaviour' line. Of course it's a nice comfort blanket for Labour supporters when they look in horror at the rapidly improving economy, but the choice in 2015 won't be between a recovery you can feel and a recovery you can't feel, it will be between a party which has the economy going in the right direction, and going back to the party which was and remains in total denial about the economy. If the X-rays are showing clear signs of an improvement, you'll want to continue with the treatment even if you're not yet actually feeling better.

Still, even if the line is correct, the likelihood, barring disasters in the Eurozone or elsewhere, if that voters will be feeling the improvement, personally and/or in their immediate circle of friends and family, by the end of 2014.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited December 2013
    Feel the power of the Energy Cap Freeze in September/October....

David Cameron and Osborne retain their solid lead over Ed Miliband and the shadow chancellor, Ed Balls, as the team most trusted to manage the economy properly, with 39% backing the Tory pair to handle the economy, compared with just 23% who side with Labour's two Eds.

The government advantage on economic trust has been a constant of politics ever since the last election.....this month's 16-point gap is the same as that found in August, when ICM last asked who were most trusted on the economy.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    felix said:

Spot on: anyone would think the bloody election is tomorrow not May 2015.

If the polls are saying the same story this time next year, I'll be getting concerned. If they are saying it in April 2015, I'll be near suicidal.

But now? I can more than live with a 5% Labour lead.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Progressives 49%

Your maths is wrong:

But then that puts the fruitcakes/loonies in the lead!
  • Options
    Good, thoughtful posts as ever from Max and David - thinking men's Tories.

@Felix - do you have any evidence that the LAB score is soft? Or is it just a hunch?

@Danny - and they say the Tories have but two states of mind, complacency, and panic....
  • Options
    felix said:

Yeah! An 'ed is crap' post. Haven't had one of those for a while
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
  • Options

Charles said:

Progressives 49%

Your maths is wrong:

But then that puts the fruitcakes/loonies in the lead!
    And your point is?
  • Options
    Good evening, everyone.

Worth mentioning that until the Scots vote these polls don't matter much. If the Scots leave that'd shift the tectonic plates.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think your suggestion of a higher than inflation minimum wage increase really has to be a priority for the government. If you can't risk this when employment is rocketing when can you?

I would love to know what it would cost the government. Directly and indirectly they employ a lot of people on minimum wage. OTOH some of it would be clawed back from benefits for those on in work benefits, particularly women. Money is tight but it would be a good move and it would do the most good in the north where wages are lower.

Lower corporation tax receipts, slightly higher income tax an NI receipts, direct cost increases because of state employees on the minimum wage and possibly an indirect cost increase in tendered business going forwards.

The figures would all be in the hundreds of millions though, not higher than that.

Corporations have shown over the past two years they are not going invest the significant net cash positions on their balance sheets so it's time to transfer that cash to the working poor. It's a very, very simple transaction.

Another possible divisive Tory policy that would help them harvest C2DE votes is a wage freeze in cash terms for higher rate public sector employees and a 5% wage cut for top rate state employees and a 2% rise for basic rate ones. Divisive, but it would be incredibly effective for the government in an election year to say "we're on the side of the working poor, and the aspirational classes, and don't just stick up for the rich and middle classes".

Honestly, I just don't think Dave has the cojones for either policy. Businesses would raise a stink (one that the Tories desperately need IMO) and donors would have a fit, while they may not want to rock the boat among higher rate public sector employees which includes nurses and teachers these days. Still, they have to decide what is more important to them, winning the most seats in 2015 (I think a majority is mathematically out of reach) or heading back to opposition while Labour make hay with their hard won economic gains that have knocked 5-7 points from their polling.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,008
    I think the big picture has been clear for more or less the last 18 months:

Looking at the 2010 result there is only minimal movement between Con and Lab in either direction. The two significant shifts have been the rise of UKIP (who are taking significant chunks of 2010 Con, BNP and Lab votes, in that order), and the collapse in LD support, which will benefit Lab much more than Con. Neither of these two factors are likely to be affected by an economic upturn, so that as things stand the most likely result is Lab Maj, closely followed by NOM with Lab largest party. However, there is still time for a rabbit to be pulled from the hat (perhaps the line DavidL suggests below on increasing the Minimum Wage - which could potentially give rise to some Lab to Con movement). If the Tories are simply relying on the economy for their salvation, I think they're going to lose.
  • Options
    Poll alert: new Ipsos MORI/STV

The campaign for an independent Scotland has received a boost in a new poll commissioned by STV News.

Thirty-four per cent of those certain to vote in the referendum said they would vote Yes, up three per cent on STV's September poll on independence.

Fifty-seven per cent of certain voters said they planned to vote No, down two per cent on September, and a further ten per cent remains undecided.

Mark Diffley, director at Ipsos-MORI Scotland, said: “This poll will provide some encouragement for Yes Scotland as we enter the most crucial part of the referendum campaign, as it is the first time we have recorded an increase in support for independence in nearly a year.

http://news.stv.tv/politics/252342-stv-poll-on-independence-referendum-puts-yes-at-34-and-no-at-57/
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Bobajob said:

Good, thoughtful posts as ever from Max and David - thinking men's Tories.

@Felix - do you have any evidence that the LAB score is soft? Or is it just a hunch?

@Danny - and they say the Tories have but two states of mind, complacency, and panic....

It is hunch based on the normal mid-election gap which would be much higher and on the subsidiary questions on economic competence.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited December 2013
    @ThomasNashe, As the Labour lead has already almost halved since the beginning of the year, then why shouldn't this continue and possibly at an accelerating pace over the next 18 months as the macro economy continues to improve with a real prospect that this will be accompanied by voters themselves also feeling a little better off than they do today?

I don't buy the immutable ideological coalition stuff propounded by Mike Smithson, Nick Palmer et al.

But we shall see one way or the other. The polls in December 2014 may make for decisive reading.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Lady Andrea ‏@_AndreaUrbanFox
    "I`m proud to be black" said a black man.
    "I`m proud to be Asian" said an Asian man.
    "I`m proud to be white" said a racist.

No comment needed.
  • Options
    tim said:

ICM, MOE
    Women Scotland

No 61% Yes 27%.

So who is toxic with women in Scotland ? Eck or Sturg ??
  • Options
    Also, raising the minimum wage faster than inflation has other benefits like incentivising work over being on the dole, it will reduce in-work tax credit payments (which stood at a staggering £35bn last year) to part-time employees and it will send out a message to people that the government want to make work pay for everyone, even people working minimum wage jobs. It could also save the government a lot in housing benefits for couples who both work minimum wage jobs.

None of the monetary savings amount to very much, but the message it sends is far more important than any economic gain IMO, it puts the Tories on the side of the working man for the first time since Thatcher and Major and it puts Labour on the side of the non-working underclass or just agreeing with government measures.
  • Options
    Best prices - IndyRef

Yes 11/2 (Stan James)
    No 2/9 (Betfair)
  • Options
    MikeK said:

No comment needed.

What's the Asian got to do with it?

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2013
    O/T:

The Economist's "The World in..." series usually has some slightly potty "information".

This year's edition "The World In 2014" has a "Risk of Social Unrest" chart, with 5 categories: very low risk, low risk, medium risk, high risk, very high risk.

Both Britain and Thailand are in the medium risk category.

Singapore, which just had its first riots for 30 years, is in the low risk category.

http://www.euronews.com/2013/12/09/singapore-shocked-by-worst-riots-the-first-since-1969/
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988
    edited December 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyKZt0Vs-Gs

"Adebolajo sat in the dock of London's central criminal court, the Old Bailey, just yards away from Rigby's family as he gave evidence for the first time. He told the court he was engaged in a war against Western nations fighting in Muslim countries.

Adebolajo and Adebowale, both British citizens, have denied murder.

"I am a soldier of Allah. I understand that some people might not recognize this because we do not wear fatigues," Adebolajo said, flanked by five prison guards in the heavily-secured courtroom."

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/09/21834488-i-am-a-soldier-of-allah-alleged-london-killer-of-afghan-war-vet-appears-in-court?lite
  • Options

Best prices - IndyRef

Yes 11/2 (Stan James)
    No 2/9 (Betfair)

If that moves to yes by a couple of notches I'll have a punt. Maybe 13/2 would tempt me.

If I was a Scot I'd probably be in the YES camp.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360

November 12
    NickPalmer said:
    I claim a small canvassing prize for tentatively identifying the weakening Tory position here yesterday on the basis of the last couple of weeks' returns. The "don't let Labour ruin it" line isn't working at all, as (a) people don't feel well off, and are irritated by the Tories claiming that things are getting much better and (b) they don't think there's much difference in how parties handle the economy. I think they should, so do others here (though with different outcomes), but most people really don't.

NPx - Did you accept my open offer of betting the next monthly ICM shows a lead of 5% or less then? No on else did so I believe - not exactly ringing support from the PBreds?

I didn't see your offer, sorry, but I wouldn't bet on one month's poll anyway. Who is to say which is the outlier? I refrained from gloating over Populus this morning and equally will refrain from moaning over ICM this afternoon. I don't actually think anything much is happening, though I wouldn't be surprised if the "autumn" statement had firmed up some of the restive Tories that I met.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

MikeK said:

No comment needed.

What's the Asian got to do with it?

Perhaps he meant 'yellow'
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Both.
    TGOHF said:

tim said:

ICM, MOE
    Women Scotland

No 61% Yes 27%.

• Options
    F1: Williams have signed two aerodynamicists, from Lotus and Red Bull:
    http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/9065193/williams-hire-red-bull-lotus-aerodynamicists-as-rebuilding-continues

This marks a bit of a trend. Red Bull lost their number two (an aerodynamicist) engineer Prodromou[sp] to McLaren, and Lotus lost their lead engineer to Ferrari earlier this year. For Lotus, lack of money (which is baffling given their performance in 2012 and 2013) may well be a factor. Harder to see the issue at Red Bull, but I suppose having Newey as Eternal King of Engineering might be seen as a concrete ceiling on career aspirations.

Smedley's likely to join as well, although in a more senior position and not as Massa's race engineer (a shame, he's quite entertaining).
  • Options

Best prices - IndyRef

Yes 11/2 (Stan James)
    No 2/9 (Betfair)

If that moves to yes by a couple of notches I'll have a punt. Maybe 13/2 would tempt me.

I really don't think it'll get back to 13/2 again Mike. There was a small window at Betfair earlier this year when it touched that level, but the bookies have never gone higher than 11/2.

Of course the best prices may come very late in the day, even the last hours, but if Yes is trading at 13/2 at that late stage then it'd take a brave man to go against the tide.

Why only "probably"?

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

F1: Williams have signed two aerodynamicists, from Lotus and Red Bull:
    http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12476/9065193/williams-hire-red-bull-lotus-aerodynamicists-as-rebuilding-continues

This marks a bit of a trend. Red Bull lost their number two (an aerodynamicist) engineer Prodromou[sp] to McLaren, and Lotus lost their lead engineer to Ferrari earlier this year. For Lotus, lack of money (which is baffling given their performance in 2012 and 2013) may well be a factor. Harder to see the issue at Red Bull, but I suppose having Newey as Eternal King of Engineering might be seen as a concrete ceiling on career aspirations.

Smedley's likely to join as well, although in a more senior position and not as Massa's race engineer (a shame, he's quite entertaining).

It's interesting to speculate about why Lotus are finding it so hard to get funding given their performance. There is obviously something very amiss ...
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Both.

TGOHF said:

tim said:

ICM, MOE
    Women Scotland

No 61% Yes 27%.

Toxic Tory calls Salmond and Sturgeon toxic. Well, it takes one to know one.

A glance at the leader ratings in Scotland soon shows who is most toxic out of Davidson, Salmond and Sturgeon. And it ain't the last two.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, there is less sponsorship money generally in F1, but it is crazy that Williams (who had a shocker of a year) could afford to let Maldonado go and Lotus, who had a very good year, had to take him on.

With Massa's experience and several top engineering hires I hope that 2014 and 2015 see Williams do better.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    edited December 2013
    isam said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyKZt0Vs-Gs

"Adebolajo sat in the dock of London's central criminal court, the Old Bailey, just yards away from Rigby's family as he gave evidence for the first time. He told the court he was engaged in a war against Western nations fighting in Muslim countries.

Adebolajo and Adebowale, both British citizens, have denied murder.

"I am a soldier of Allah. I understand that some people might not recognize this because we do not wear fatigues," Adebolajo said, flanked by five prison guards in the heavily-secured courtroom."

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/09/21834488-i-am-a-soldier-of-allah-alleged-london-killer-of-afghan-war-vet-appears-in-court?lite

It really is a different world view, isn't it! One really does have to turn the box over twice and then think outside it.
  • Options
    "Michael Fabricant: Teach children the perils of Twitter or they won't get a job

The Conservative vice-chairman says that young people should be aware that the things they write on social networks now may stand in the way of their dream job in the future":

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/conservative/10468001/Michael-Fabricant-Teach-children-the-perils-of-Twitter-or-they-wont-get-a-job.html
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    JohnO said:

@ThomasNashe, As the Labour lead has already almost halved since the beginning of the year, then why shouldn't this continue and possibly at an accelerating pace over the next 18 months as the macro economy continues to improve with a real prospect that this will be accompanied by voters themselves also feeling a little better off than they do today?

I don't buy the immutable ideological coalition stuff propounded by Mike Smithson, Nick Palmer et al.

But we shall see one way or the other. The polls in December 2014 may make for decisive reading.

The Labour lead in the last month probably has lengthened !
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,252
    edited December 2013

fitalass said:

Both.

TGOHF said:

tim said:

ICM, MOE
    Women Scotland

No 61% Yes 27%.

Toxic Tory calls Salmond and Sturgeon toxic. Well, it takes one to know one.

A glance at the leader ratings in Scotland soon shows who is most toxic out of Davidson, Salmond and Sturgeon. And it ain't the last two.
    Away from SCon surgeworld:

'Nicola Sturgeon has strengthened her position as the most popular of the political leaders measured. The Deputy First Minister has a net satisfaction rating (the proportion who are satisfied minus the proportion who are dissatisfied) of +21, up 7 points since May. Better Together leader Alistair Darling has a net satisfaction rating of +5, also up 7 points since May. First Minister Alex Salmond appears to have halted the decline in his satisfaction rating and now has a net satisfaction rating of +8, up 6 points since May.'

Net satisfaction amongst women:

Sturgeon +18
    Darling +7
    Salmond -4
    Cameron -25

http://tinyurl.com/nuv6a8o

How bitter it must be for one of Dave's pom pom girls to accept he's poisonous with the ladies.
  • Options
    Carola said:
    Both this and Dave's pathetic attempt at a Christmas show how out of touch these people are.
  • Options

Carola said:
    Both this and Dave's pathetic attempt at a Christmas show how out of touch these people are.
    Salmond's Christmas card:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-25215881
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @nigel4england

'Both this and Dave's pathetic attempt at a Christmas show how out of touch these people are.'

What does Farage have on his cards,a picture of Barroso ?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    N4E Maybe both of them feel it is more of a family occasion than some religious one...and who can blame them.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

Carola said:

Very festive.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Carola .. That ought to bring some Christmas cheer...sheesh...definitely out of touch...
  • Options

Best prices - IndyRef

Yes 11/2 (Stan James)
    No 2/9 (Betfair)

Quite right. Me too. I'm quite baffled by Scots' apparent preference for the Union. Scotland is a very viable nation state with a remarkably diverse economy.

I hope No wins but can't see why it should.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    JackW, its not only not enough at this stage of the electoral cycle, its also nowhere near enough of a buffer for Labour at this point of economic recovery cycle either.
    "ICM finds 39% backing Dave/George to handle the economy best, compared with just 23% who side with Two Eds." This kind of underlying polling figures on who is best to handle the economy are a big anchor weighing the Labour party down right, especially considering that they are still seen as most to blame for our economic woes. And I can only see this gap continuing widen as the economy improves further and starts to trickle down further into people's personal confidence in their own job/wage prospects.

We have had Labour waste nearly three years complaining about this Government going too far, too fast with Plan A, now that meme has been completely debunked. Then we had the attempt to try to undermine the economic recovery by complaining it was the wrong type of growth. And now the Miliband/Balls latest hostage to fortune is the gamble that living costs will show no signs of improving right up until the next GE, at this rate the only flat-ling gesture needed will be for their polling when it comes to the economic blame game and current their incompetence. :)

JackW said:

Hhmmm

No it certainly is not.

• Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Carola said:
    Why? A modern Christmas for most people revolves around the family. It's sky pixie theme is becoming more and more diluted as time goes on.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Carola
    Would it be "philistine" of me to think it looks more like a lost soul from the "Tartan Army", still trying to find his way home from the last World Cup game?
  • Options
    "Conservative MP Anne McIntosh is fighting for her political future after party officials in her Thirsk and Malton constituency refused to endorse her as their election candidate.

They accuse the high-profile chairman of the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs Select Committee, of failing in her constituency duties.

Members of the local party association are being asked to back that decision.

Ms McIntosh refused to comment on the ballot of members.

A specially-called postal ballot will be held next month.

This is the second time in four years Ms McIntosh has faced such drastic action."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-25292065
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

Carola .. That ought to bring some Christmas cheer...sheesh...definitely out of touch...

Could be worse...

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/worst-family-christmas-cards-pictured-2905777
  • Options
    I note that the LDs are at 11 for the third time with ICM in 16 years. This is a low point. So no sign of any Lib Dem revival, yet Clegg and co are upbeat. Maybe the EC elections will come as a shock? Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence, accomplishments or capabilities.
  • Options
    edited December 2013

Carola said:

Much more impressive than Ed and Dave's offerings. Is it just me that finds putting a photo of ones self on a card extremely vain?
  • Options
    saddened said:

Carola said:
    Why? A modern Christmas for most people revolves around the family. It's sky pixie theme is becoming more and more diluted as time goes on.
    Isnt celebrating secular "Christmas" while mocking belief in God something of an oxymoron?
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @isam

Ahhh....now that would be an ecumenical question...
  • Options
    isam said:

Carola said:

Much more impressive than Ed and Dave's offerings. Is it just me that finds putting a photo of ones self on a card extremely vain?
    It's done so that the people who receive them can "name drop". Picture the scene, minor functionary hosting dreary drinks party, "why yes it is a personal card from the PM, didn't you get one?"
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

I note that the LDs are at 11 for the third time with ICM in 16 years. This is a low point. So no sign of any Lib Dem revival, yet Clegg and co are upbeat. Maybe the EC elections will come as a shock? Hubris often indicates a loss of contact with reality and an overestimation of one's own competence, accomplishments or capabilities.

Your note is inaccurate , they are at 12 . I would suggest you are showing a lack of competence and capability of reading a simple 2 digit number .
  • Options
    isam said:

saddened said:

Carola said:
    Isnt celebrating secular "Christmas" while mocking belief in God something of an oxymoron?
    Yebbut Christmas was originally a Pagan festival...
  • Options
    isam said:

saddened said:

Carola said:
    Depends if your Christmas is based on the birth of a sky pixies child, or the earlier worship of trees that a great deal of Christmas tradition is based on or the more modern worship of Argos and alcohol abuse.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Carola
    Would it be "philistine" of me to think it looks more like a lost soul from the "Tartan Army", still trying to find his way home from the last World Cup game?

It's the fourth wise man apparently.

Howson is very religious in his eccentric way.
  • Options
    I read in tonight's Standard that Geoffrey Bloom's family Christmas card features him brandishing a pair of bongos and his wife dressed as a slut.
    I'm surprised Michael Crick didn't make a cameo.
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@Carola

It's a picture of a man who failed to achieve his objective.
    A curious and inauspicious choice by Salmond.

• Options
    Bobajob said:

I read in tonight's Standard that Geoffrey Bloom's family Christmas card features him brandishing a pair of bongos and his wife dressed as a slut.
    I'm surprised Michael Crick didn't make a cameo.

What about Godfrey Bloom?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Going for the Two Broke Gils meme?

Or just a whole bunch ofcheese!
    dr_spyn said:

Labour support for SMEs cupcakes, bloody cupcakes.

http://www.labour.org.uk/today-the-whole-country-stands-with-small-businesses-like-mine

Might have guessed they wouldn't be fruitcakes.

• Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052

November 12
    NickPalmer said:

I didn't see your offer, sorry, but I wouldn't bet on one month's poll anyway. Who is to say which is the outlier? I refrained from gloating over Populus this morning and equally will refrain from moaning over ICM this afternoon. I don't actually think anything much is happening, though I wouldn't be surprised if the "autumn" statement had firmed up some of the restive Tories that I met.
    No need for you to gloat. You're going to win in Broxtowe whatever happens. Just a question of whether it's Cabinet or Shadow Cabinet.

I predicted after Clegg's conference speech that the Lib Dems would be going down, a view reinforced after his Cameron impersonation at PMQs.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

JackW, its not only not enough at this stage of the electoral cycle, its also nowhere near enough of a buffer for Labour at this point of economic recovery cycle either.
    "ICM finds 39% backing Dave/George to handle the economy best, compared with just 23% who side with Two Eds." This kind of underlying polling figures on who is best to handle the economy are a big anchor weighing the Labour party down right, especially considering that they are still seen as most to blame for our economic woes. And I can only see this gap continuing widen as the economy improves further and starts to trickle down further into people's personal confidence in their own job/wage prospects.

We have had Labour waste nearly three years complaining about this Government going too far, too fast with Plan A, now that meme has been completely debunked. Then we had the attempt to try to undermine the economic recovery by complaining it was the wrong type of growth. And now the Miliband/Balls latest hostage to fortune is the gamble that living costs will show no signs of improving right up until the next GE, at this rate the only flat-ling gesture needed will be for their polling when it comes to the economic blame game and current their incompetence. :)

JackW said:

Hhmmm

No it certainly is not.

"not enough" for what? A majority? Most seats? In what sense is it "not enough", what do you think is going to happen to public opinion between now and the election?

Public opinion is so settled, the only question for me (barring "events") is whether Labour will have a majority or just have to settle for most seats. This mostly depends on the behaviour of Labour's legion of ex-Lib Dems that have been solidly with them since 2010.

Tractor stats on the economy won't save the Tories, nor will magic swingback pixies.
  • Options
    @isam

I note below that you appear to be a Powellite nutter.

I wouldn't have entered into a bet with you if I'd known that. But since I have, on the off-chance you win, I'm not donating your charity winnings to the EDL or someone, 'kay? If that's a welch, it's a welch.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

fitalass said:

JackW said:

Hhmmm

No it certainly is not.

"not enough" for what? A majority? Most seats? In what sense is it "not enough", what do you think is going to happen to public opinion between now and the election?

Public opinion is so settled, the only question for me (barring "events") is whether Labour will have a majority or just have to settle for most seats. This mostly depends on the behaviour of Labour's legion of ex-Lib Dems that have been solidly with them since 2010.

Tractor stats on the economy won't save the Tories, nor will magic swingback pixies.
    When was the last time there was meaningful swingback to the government from 17 months out?
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@Carola

It's a picture of a man who failed to achieve his objective.
    A curious and inauspicious choice by Salmond.

'The legend of the fourth wise man, based on an 1895 novel by American author Henry van Dyke, tells the story of a Persian scholar who, delayed by helping the vulnerable, followed the star to Bethlehem but arrived just too late to herald the birth of Jesus.Thirty years on, Artaban, who had become an old man, was still searching for Jesus when he saved a young girl from slavery. In a dying vision, he was comforted that his devotion to the distressed secured him entrance heaven.'

The embodiment of Eck's gradualist approach surely?
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

R0berts said:

fitalass said:

JackW said:

Hhmmm

No it certainly is not.

When was the last time there was meaningful swingback to the government from 17 months out?
    Can't find any example, unless you include dodgy polls pre-reform.

This discussion has been closed.