Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How Trump and his media acolytes got the coronavirus wrong

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    ydoethur said:

Gabs3 said:

HYUFD said:
    He won't get through a first year without the 25th being invoked.
    That is ridiculous.
    The guy is already incoherent.
    Trump’s never been coherent and nobody’s invoked the 25th on him. The nearest we came was that spectacularly misguided attempt at impeachment, but Biden might not be anxious to refer to that.
    I doubt Biden can even remember that....
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,903
    isam said:

"...there is a nasty curtain twitching denunciation-side of the British people which is also coming out, which is, frankly, nasty and which needs calling out."

Massively. It seems common to become submissive to, then an agent of, authority

It's not unusual to defer to authority - most of us do it most of the time.

As I said last night, you make someone frightened enough they'll say or do almost anything. They'll denounce their neighbour and they'll agree to sacrifice their democratic rights if you tell them only you can save them.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,874
    Cyclefree said:

I started the move to my new home today. Came back to the place we’re leaving to find my daughter in tears. She had taken the dog for a walk along a footpath heading to Thwaites Fell. No-one around. An old woman came out of a house at the start of the footpath and started abusing my daughter, saying that she had no right to be there, she was breaking the law, she would call the police and have her arrested, that she did not have a local accent and should go back to London etc.

When my daughter protested that she has been living here three years and runs the local pub/restaurant, there was more muttering and abuse. Daughter fled, really upset.

Those who think that a sort of low-level abusive vigilantism based on ignorance of the laws, ignorance of peoples’ circumstances and an “I’m all right Jack/F**k off back to London” approach is somehow acceptable because “it is for our own good/for the NHS etc” might reflect on what this actually means in practice for those on the receiving end of ignorant abuse.

Daughter is not the first person living around here to receive such abuse.

There is a very nasty Facebook group making horrible comments about a local man, a well-known pianist, who is here looking after his elderly parents, one of whom has dementia. A message has been sent to the owner of the group to point out that he has his facts wrong about this man and that he should not assume that because someone is on a bicycle they are somehow some sort of ghastly outsider breaking the law.

For all the self-congratulations about clapathons there is a nasty curtain twitching denunciation-side of the British people which is also coming out, which is, frankly, nasty and which needs calling out.

There is indeed. Part of it is through fear, which is easily displaced into anger, and anger at perceived incomers in particular.

But there is also an arsehole element in every population too.

My sympathies to Cyclefree jr.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,477
    stodge said:

isam said:

"...there is a nasty curtain twitching denunciation-side of the British people which is also coming out, which is, frankly, nasty and which needs calling out."

As I said last night, you make someone frightened enough they'll say or do almost anything. They'll denounce their neighbour and they'll agree to sacrifice their democratic rights if you tell them only you can save them.
    That’s why I was asking about the dog. If it’s not very large or fearsome maybe just ask a friend with a German Shepherd or a Rottie to be around next time?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,050
    edited April 2020
    Small businesses could open on 27th April, schools on 4th May.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8200311/Former-executive-reveals-four-step-exit-strategy-ease-UK-lockdown.html

"A former WHO executive and Number 10 advisor has today revealed his four-step strategy to ease Britain out of its draconian coronavirus lockdown.
    Professor Karol Sikora, ex-director of the UN body's cancer unit and former member of the Department of Health's Expert Advisory Group on cancer, said the first step would be to let small businesses with fewer than 50 staff open again on April 27.
    Downing Street should then allow all schools to reopen and ease social distancing measures rolled out across the UK on May 4, he said."
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Not sure if this curious incident has been discussed on PB, but note that that Trumpsky has yet another new Acting Secretary of the Navy.

Because the previous Actor just went splat.

First, in concert with his Fearless Leader, he removed commander of USS Theodore Roosevelt for his comments (in a letter leaked to press) regarding the Covid-19 threat to his crew. Trumpsky backed him to the hilt, including typical crude abuse of the fired commanding officer.

The crew of the TR reacted differently - by cheering their former captain as he left the ship.

Next, the Actor flew all the way to Guam so he could lambast the crew and further insult the captain - who by this time had been diagnosed as having contracted the Crud.

However, by this time, the White House was clearly getting a LOT of negative feedback. Not just from the usual suspects (congressional Democrats) or even congressional Republican, but most importantly from US Navy officers, sailors and veterans, including many many hittherto pro-Trumpers.

So Trumpsky began to hedge his bets - and the Actor was forced to walk the plank.

Yet another great moment in the annals of Putinism!

Was Trump involved consulted on the sacking of the Commanding Officer?

Genuine question, maybe, but does Trump relay have time to get involved in that sort of thing, its a big ship, but then the US has a Iot of ships.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8200311/Former-executive-reveals-four-step-exit-strategy-ease-UK-lockdown.html

"A former WHO executive and Number 10 advisor has today revealed his four-step strategy to ease Britain out of its draconian coronavirus lockdown.
    Professor Karol Sikora, ex-director of the UN body's cancer unit and former member of the Department of Health's Expert Advisory Group on cancer, said the first step would be to let small businesses with fewer than 50 staff open again on April 27.
    Downing Street should then allow all schools to reopen and ease social distancing measures rolled out across the UK on May 4, he said."

The Austrian plan looks at shops by size (400 square metres) allowing the smaller to open first.

The easing of social distancing is the big risk - what if we saw a second wave of cases in early to mid May?
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,706
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Well - kinabalu`s your man for this obviously - I`d say a bimbo is a person (not necessarily female) who is regarded extremely favourably sex-wise yet is not renowned for his/her intellect. So doesn`t HAVE to be blond.

I'm super keen to extract from this thread but as a last and IMO definitive word -
    Vacuousness is key. Hair colour is irrelevant, so long as there is some. It's looks-wise rather than sex-wise. And it is usually a female specific term but, come to think of it, does not have to be. Now we move on.
    Many thanks for the answers. It seems that "bimbo" is the only word available to refer to this concept. With "himbo" as an unnecessary addition. Bimbo is not gender specific, and it does not refer to sexual promiscuity.

It seems to that the young lady in question is most certainly a bimbo.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,300
    Finland the latest country to buy supplies from China that turn out to be dogshit. 2 million surgical masks, turns out don't met the spec and would be dangerous to use in a medical settings against CV.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    stodge said:

isam said:

Bigots will be bigots, they just adapt their bigotry to circumstance, The vast majority of people are not like that, hence all of the heartwarming stories we are hearing.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,732
    BigRich said:

Not sure if this curious incident has been discussed on PB, but note that that Trumpsky has yet another new Acting Secretary of the Navy.

First, in concert with his Fearless Leader, he removed commander of USS Theodore Roosevelt for his comments (in a letter leaked to press) regarding the Covid-19 threat to his crew. Trumpsky backed him to the hilt, including typical crude abuse of the fired commanding officer.

The crew of the TR reacted differently - by cheering their former captain as he left the ship.

Next, the Actor flew all the way to Guam so he could lambast the crew and further insult the captain - who by this time had been diagnosed as having contracted the Crud.

However, by this time, the White House was clearly getting a LOT of negative feedback. Not just from the usual suspects (congressional Democrats) or even congressional Republican, but most importantly from US Navy officers, sailors and veterans, including many many hittherto pro-Trumpers.

So Trumpsky began to hedge his bets - and the Actor was forced to walk the plank.

Genuine question, maybe, but does Trump relay have time to get involved in that sort of thing, its a big ship, but then the US has a Iot of ships.
    It's just the sort of thing Trump does get involved in, especially if it's been featured on Fox 'News'.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    On topic, strangely for me, does anyone think Trump is likely to win any states he didnt win last time? And if so which? I thought he did about the max he could in 2016 and his vote was pretty efficient but new opponent and very different backdrop this time.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Andy_JS said:

I just don't see it to be honest.

I think mid may at the earliest for small shops...

Plus, there is the usual issue. I have a small shop but also an online operation - I will be very unlikely to be opening the doors immediately after the Govt say I can for the safety of my staff. I'm sure I won't be alone....
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351
    Anecdote, my wife's friend works as a practice nurse at a surgery in inner city Southampton. This afternoon they had three doctors, three nurses and a healthcare assistant on duty. Not a single patient came in. They did a few telephone consultations but spent most of the afternoon in the staff room. Apparently it has been like that for 2 weeks.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Egg posting on April 6th “I would challenge the government advice on no need for a body bag, if the bowels drop I understand you can catch it from there”.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-guidance-for-care-of-the-deceased/guidance-for-care-of-the-deceased-with-suspected-or-confirmed-coronavirus-covid-19

Someone’s challenged it because they’ve changed it.
  • Options

BigRich said:

It's just the sort of thing Trump does get involved in, especially if it's been featured on Fox 'News'.
    He may have, yes, but I have not seen any evedance or it. and called me old fashioned but I don't like the 'It just the sort of thing he would do' styal of condemnation.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I look forward to tomorrow’s hospital bulletin where we might find out if Johnson had the eggs Benedict for breakfast or whether he went for the more simple boiled eggs and soldiers .

Perhaps the media could start asking some decent questions . As in why is the government covering up care home deaths .
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,732
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

From a friend of mine on whether this was an engineered virus:

'If anyone tries to tell you that COVID-19 was, or could have been, made in a lab there's a fairly straightforward reason why this can't be true.

We can "make" viruses in a lab, including modifying their genetic code. through techniques like CRISPR. We can also determine the full genetic code for existing viruses. So we have the capacity to make a new virus.

What we can't do is model the effect of that virus without releasing it into the wild. There are too many different factors that make a successful virus; species it originates in and species to species transmission plus transmission within a species, lethality, infectiousness (the R0 factor), vectors of transmission and so on. We have very little understanding of how the genetic code relates directly to all those different aspects of behaviour. So we could make a new virus, but what it would do would be a complete mystery.

Nature solves this problem by trying thousands and millions of variants. Most variations either don't work or are effectively the same. But if you try millions eventually you'll find a new "good one".'

The species specificity is a bugger; it would be easier if you could churn out your viruses and run them by a lot of white mice.

The accidental escape theory remains a runner. Note that this is not a conspiracy theory, it's a cock-up theory. Note also that it isn't susceptible to attack by cartoon versions of Occam's razor because one theory is no more complicated than the other. We have two groups of people who aggregate potentially virus-ridden animals in Wuhan. The virus either escapes from the wet market, or the lab. "Yebbut the lab had level 4 security" can be countered by "yebbut the lab *needed* level 4 security because unlike the market it was consciously and deliberately selecting animals from all over the China/the world for virus potential, whereas the market was selecting locally-available animals for edibility." The market theory is slightly more likely but both are perfectly possible.
    ... but which is politically more useful?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Plus, there is the usual issue. I have a small shop but also an online operation - I will be very unlikely to be opening the doors immediately after the Govt say I can for the safety of my staff. I'm sure I won't be alone....

I note the London Undergound is slightly improving - Victoria Line now every 6 minutes rather than 8. A 10 minute service on my part of the District rather than 15 so perhaps a sign the staff are returning.

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,681
    BigRich said:

Believe the Donald WAS involved directly. Why? Because he is VERY attuned to criticism of his (mis-)lhandling of the pandemic crisis. Which the captain's letter underscored.

My guess (based on what transpired) is that his comments to his underlings went WAY beyond "will no one rid me of this turbulent salt?"

Keep in mind that the PREVIOUS Acting Navy Secretary was thrown overboard for protesting Trumpsy's intervention in favor of the war-criminal SEAL.
  • Options

Anecdote, my wife's friend works as a practice nurse at a surgery in inner city Southampton. This afternoon they had three doctors, three nurses and a healthcare assistant on duty. Not a single patient came in. They did a few telephone consultations but spent most of the afternoon in the staff room. Apparently it has been like that for 2 weeks.

Why do you think that is?

People are told to stay at home - they are obeying that. If you have the symptoms of Covid, the route is not to call your GP but to go via NHS Direct.

It may be the hypochondriacs are stuck at home and they represent a larger percentage of surgery visits then realised or the cancellation of routine appointments has left plenty of spare capacity.

There's also fear at work - people may think surgeries are full of sick people and they are places worth avoiding at this time.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Mortimer said:

I note the London Undergound is slightly improving - Victoria Line now every 6 minutes rather than 8. A 10 minute service on my part of the District rather than 15 so perhaps a sign the staff are returning.

We get to heard immunity sooner than people think, because those most exposed like train or bus drives, get it very quickly and as they are mostly healthy people most recover swiftly and can then get back to work.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,327
    Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

From what I've seen of his comments that have been reposted on here, Professor Sikora does seem by far the most Panglossian of the Corona pundits.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,875
    edited April 2020

I wonder if any contingency plans have been made for moving medics to the hot spots that are short of capacity? If the variations are so big that Soton has no patients yet other places are overwhelmed it would seem sensible.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

I wonder if any contingency plans have been made for moving medics to the hot spots that are short of capacity? If the variations are so big that Soton has no patients yet other places are overwhelmed it would seem sensible.
    Not just contingency plan, they teamed up with several big tech companies and a UK AI company to have a real time system to do exactly this.

Also, I believe the plan is also to use the Excel centre if things get really bad, including flying patients into London City Airport.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,079
    nico67 said:

I look forward to tomorrow’s hospital bulletin where we might find out if Johnson had the eggs Benedict for breakfast or whether he went for the more simple boiled eggs and soldiers .

Perhaps the media could start asking some decent questions . As in why is the government covering up care home deaths .

It's a decent question, if hostilely expressed, but nothing wrong with hostile questions. The french figures, I believe, didn't include such deaths either to begin with, but I don't know about other places, so there may be difficulties in gathering the data.
  • Options

Oh FFS. Sky News still banging on about constitutional intricacies. It's like a Westminster Bubble version of Father Jack:

"That would be a constitutional matter."

Well's there nothing else much going on, like erhhh, 1,000s of people dying.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Andy_JS said:

If restrictions where lifted now I think many places of bissiness would remain chose to remain closed, for the reasons you state, combined with a lack of bissiness. the longer they leave it the and companys may not have that chsoe, all that have not gone under having to open. which ironically is probably more of a risk of a spike, that the NHS cant handall
  • Options
    BigRich said:

We get to heard immunity sooner than people think, because those most exposed like train or bus drives, get it very quickly and as they are mostly healthy people most recover swiftly and can then get back to work.

They don't actually allow us all to ride in the cab with the driver - there wouldn't be enough room !!

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,604
    IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

'If anyone tries to tell you that COVID-19 was, or could have been, made in a lab there's a fairly straightforward reason why this can't be true.

We can "make" viruses in a lab, including modifying their genetic code. through techniques like CRISPR. We can also determine the full genetic code for existing viruses. So we have the capacity to make a new virus.

What we can't do is model the effect of that virus without releasing it into the wild. There are too many different factors that make a successful virus; species it originates in and species to species transmission plus transmission within a species, lethality, infectiousness (the R0 factor), vectors of transmission and so on. We have very little understanding of how the genetic code relates directly to all those different aspects of behaviour. So we could make a new virus, but what it would do would be a complete mystery.

Nature solves this problem by trying thousands and millions of variants. Most variations either don't work or are effectively the same. But if you try millions eventually you'll find a new "good one".'

The species specificity is a bugger; it would be easier if you could churn out your viruses and run them by a lot of white mice.

The accidental escape theory remains a runner. Note that this is not a conspiracy theory, it's a cock-up theory. Note also that it isn't susceptible to attack by cartoon versions of Occam's razor because one theory is no more complicated than the other. We have two groups of people who aggregate potentially virus-ridden animals in Wuhan. The virus either escapes from the wet market, or the lab. "Yebbut the lab had level 4 security" can be countered by "yebbut the lab *needed* level 4 security because unlike the market it was consciously and deliberately selecting animals from all over the China/the world for virus potential, whereas the market was selecting locally-available animals for edibility." The market theory is slightly more likely but both are perfectly possible.
    The malign conspiracy theory (I am not a subscriber to it) is not really undermined by not knowing how bad a virus will be. Because if the perpetrators are truly wicked, they would just release it and hope for the worst.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

I started the move to my new home today. Came back to the place we’re leaving to find my daughter in tears. She had taken the dog for a walk along a footpath heading to Thwaites Fell. No-one around. An old woman came out of a house at the start of the footpath and started abusing my daughter, saying that she had no right to be there, she was breaking the law, she would call the police and have her arrested, that she did not have a local accent and should go back to London etc.

When my daughter protested that she has been living here three years and runs the local pub/restaurant, there was more muttering and abuse. Daughter fled, really upset.

Those who think that a sort of low-level abusive vigilantism based on ignorance of the laws, ignorance of peoples’ circumstances and an “I’m all right Jack/F**k off back to London” approach is somehow acceptable because “it is for our own good/for the NHS etc” might reflect on what this actually means in practice for those on the receiving end of ignorant abuse.

There is a very nasty Facebook group making horrible comments about a local man, a well-known pianist, who is here looking after his elderly parents, one of whom has dementia. A message has been sent to the owner of the group to point out that he has his facts wrong about this man and that he should not assume that because someone is on a bicycle they are somehow some sort of ghastly outsider breaking the law.

For all the self-congratulations about clapathons there is a nasty curtain twitching denunciation-side of the British people which is also coming out, which is, frankly, nasty and which needs calling out.

I had just sort of assumed some people in most nations were a bit prone to the denouncing, authority submitting activity. He certainly wasn't the first to note it, but Terry Pratchett did once write about mankind's big design flaw - a tendency to bend at the knees.

I confess I think I'm a bit too much of a follower, quite passive in doing what I'm told.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

There is indeed. Part of it is through fear, which is easily displaced into anger, and anger at perceived incomers in particular.

I'd have told the old biddy to call the police and even helpfully told her the (home) address they could find her.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,142
    stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

The Austrian plan looks at shops by size (400 square metres) allowing the smaller to open first.

The easing of social distancing is the big risk - what if we saw a second wave of cases in early to mid May?
    I think the question to ask is why on earth we wouldn't see a second wave if we did that.
  • Options
    stodge said:

BigRich said:

They don't actually allow us all to ride in the cab with the driver - there wouldn't be enough room !!

LOL, its been a long time since I've used the 'Tube' next you will be telling me you are not allowed to smock on it!

I thought that the air-con system circulated air around the whole train which is why a dispropatanat number of drivers where off ill over the last month? maybe I'm wrong
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,964

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

The malign conspiracy theory (I am not a subscriber to it) is not really undermined by not knowing how bad a virus will be. Because if the perpetrators are truly wicked, they would just release it and hope for the worst.
    Well, that definitely wouldn't ever backfire...
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I'm not certain I believe any of the figures. All, we have seem to be those in hospital who have tested positive - has everyone in hospital been tested and what of those who have died of covid-19 while not in hospital and what of those who might have died of an underlying health condition but who also tested positive for covid-19?

As someone once said "there are lies, damn lies and statistics".
  • Options
    stodge said:

isam said:

Harsh judgement, but I don't think it could be denied.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Cyclefree said:

I'd have told the old biddy to call the police and even helpfully told her the (home) address they could find her.
    Problem being that can make it worse if the police don't understand things, which they don't like hearing.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,806
    kle4 said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

I had just sort of assumed some people in most nations were a bit prone to the denouncing, authority submitting activity. He certainly wasn't the first to note it, but Terry Pratchett did once write about mankind's big design flaw - a tendency to bend at the knees.

I confess I think I'm a bit too much of a follower, quite passive in doing what I'm told.
    This

,from cyclefree, is an excellent observation.

I've just burnt my curtains on the strength of it and now the neighbour's Venetian blinds are rattling.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

Yes. They could have been releasing a new virus a week into Wuhan for years, and this was the time they got lucky. In theory.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited April 2020
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

It's a decent question, if hostilely expressed, but nothing wrong with hostile questions. The french figures, I believe, didn't include such deaths either to begin with, but I don't know about other places, so there may be difficulties in gathering the data.
    The government doesn’t want the public to know about the care home catastrophe so is using an excuse about waiting for the ONS who provide obscure data designed to make sure a proper number can’t be put on care home deaths .

It’s a cover up plain and simple but creatively done . If the government wanted to include care homes they would . It’s not rocket science .

And the media are useless and letting this cover up go on because they’re more interested in whether Johnson burped after his breakfast !
  • Options
    BigRich said:

stodge said:

BigRich said:

LOL, its been a long time since I've used the 'Tube' next you will be telling me you are not allowed to smock on it!

I thought that the air-con system circulated air around the whole train which is why a dispropatanat number of drivers where off ill over the last month? maybe I'm wrong
    Indeed, you can't smock or smoke on the Underground.

Not all lines have air-con - those that do include the Met, District, Circle and Hammersmith & City. I'd offer three thoughts - first, infected passengers changing trains would soon spread the virus round other lines, second, I suspect drivers gather at a small number of depots so once one driver is infected it rapidly spreads through the shift and finally, there's not a lot of spare capacity so if 10% of your drivers go off sick the service will suffer.
  • Options
    Chris said:

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

I think the question to ask is why on earth we wouldn't see a second wave if we did that.
    Look at Sweden, where deaths, ICU, and new cases, are all drooping. this Lock down is at most helping only a small amount. What relay matters is large numbers of people not doing the most dangerest things, e.g. shacking hands, or the 90% drop in people going to swimming pools.

The only risk now is that, when we start to release the rules, that many will, not take personal responsibility, to sensibly manage risk.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    ClippP said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Well - kinabalu`s your man for this obviously - I`d say a bimbo is a person (not necessarily female) who is regarded extremely favourably sex-wise yet is not renowned for his/her intellect. So doesn`t HAVE to be blond.

I'm super keen to extract from this thread but as a last and IMO definitive word -
    Vacuousness is key. Hair colour is irrelevant, so long as there is some. It's looks-wise rather than sex-wise. And it is usually a female specific term but, come to think of it, does not have to be. Now we move on.
    Many thanks for the answers. It seems that "bimbo" is the only word available to refer to this concept. With "himbo" as an unnecessary addition. Bimbo is not gender specific, and it does not refer to sexual promiscuity.

It seems to that the young lady in question is most certainly a bimbo.
    Thank goodness we've sorted out that linguistic quandary. Now I'm just wondering what would happen to the lingo if that bimbo, who's a jingo not a pinko, tried to play pachinko by the window with a gringo, arms akimbo?

I'm afraid we'd be in limbo... :wink:
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

A whole bunch of countries either don't or did not

I have no idea why that would be but both France and Belgium had big spikes in deaths when they started including them.

I thought I heard our care home deaths were going to be included soon FWIW
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

This

I've just burnt my curtains on the strength of it and now the neighbour's Venetian blinds are rattling.
    How do you make a Venetian blind?
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Chris said:

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Look at Sweden, where deaths, ICU, and new cases, are all drooping. this Lock down is at most helping only a small amount. What relay matters is large numbers of people not doing the most dangerest things, e.g. shacking hands, or the 90% drop in people going to swimming pools.

The only risk now is that, when we start to release the rules, that many will, not take personal responsibility, to sensibly manage risk.
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Chris said:

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Look at Sweden, where deaths, ICU, and new cases, are all drooping.
    ??????

Yesterday's death rate in Sweden was a new high - 50% higher than the previous day, which was itself nearly 30% higher than the previous high.
  • Options

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

This

I don't know. How do you make a Venetian blind?
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,351

I think this situation with local surgeries may be the same nationally
  • Options
    stodge said:

BigRich said:

stodge said:

BigRich said:

Not all lines have air-con - those that do include the Met, District, Circle and Hammersmith & City. I'd offer three thoughts - first, infected passengers changing trains would soon spread the virus round other lines, second, I suspect drivers gather at a small number of depots so once one driver is infected it rapidly spreads through the shift and finally, there's not a lot of spare capacity so if 10% of your drivers go off sick the service will suffer.
    I will defer to your clearly more up to date knowledge of the tube, but I thought that we where experiencing something simmiler with buses.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

The evidence is if the weather is nice, we'll all want to dash out and enjoy it. It would be much easier if it was cold and raining but the weather is often capricious.

As to whether the lock down is "helping only a small amount", had we done nothing and carried on, I'm very much of the view London would have ended up like New York with the health services overwhelmed and more deaths.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

This

Poke his eyes out.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

It's not clear that Karol Sikora is in the loop on this. Isn't he the person on twitter who posts a lot of hopeful news stories? He seemed a little optimistic to me. And it seems way too early to be putting a date on it while numbers are still rising...

I wonder if the politicians should be more blunt with journalists about this.

--AS
  • Options
    stodge said:

nico67 said:

I'm not certain I believe any of the figures. All, we have seem to be those in hospital who have tested positive - has everyone in hospital been tested and what of those who have died of covid-19 while not in hospital and what of those who might have died of an underlying health condition but who also tested positive for covid-19?

It would all be on the death certificate, the details of how to fill these in are here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/877302/guidance-for-doctors-completing-medical-certificates-of-cause-of-death-covid-19.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwijjY3AwNnoAhWXiVwKHWNICKMQFjABegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2RZeXtK5ZxvnFxvhkUa5ua&cshid=1586372081287

Section 4.1 deals with the hierarchy of causation, including direct, underlying cause and contributing factors. A positive swab is not needed, provided there is sufficient evidence of cause, such as typical features.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

This

Poke his eyes out.
    I'm not sure my kind condescension in relying was allowed to be nipped in upon Mr Y!

Sneaky!
  • Options
    Floater said:
    The first two I would trust on that list are numbers 5 and 6.

Then we have a long gap to 13 and 16.

21 is the only one I know personally and while I like her, no way would she be up to being PM.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    So basically just the order of precedence, but with Raab bumped up?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

This

Poke his eyes out.
    I'm not sure my kind condescension in relying was allowed to be nipped in upon Mr Y!

Sneaky!
    I am not, perhaps, an Alpha male.

But I am a devoted reader of Alistair Meeks’ thread headers.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,469
    NYTimes:

Biden vs. Trump: The General Election Is Here, and Transformed
  • Options
    Just catching up, but looks like Biden has it:

https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1247913426166280192?s=19

Pick a good VP please. Amy or Gretchen would suit me nicely.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

ydoethur said:

Omnium said:

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

This

Poke his eyes out.

Sneaky!
    I am not, perhaps, an Alpha male.

But I am a devoted reader of Alistair Meeks’ thread headers.
    Doctor, doctor! I'm going mad. I think I'm a pair of curtains......
  • Options
    BigRich said:

stodge said:

BigRich said:

stodge said:

BigRich said:

I will defer to your clearly more up to date knowledge of the tube, but I thought that we where experiencing something simmiler with buses.
    If we had done nothing yes, probably or maybe.

In New York where the Governor sour it as his job to reassure everybody that all was fine, its just like the flu and if you are heath of no concerns. combined with Trump doing the same if not quite so extreme in the early days, reduced the amount of people tacking sensible preconditions.

if the Governor and president had sead nothing more people would have taken precautions, if the Governor and the President had told people that this is serious please stop shacking hands and so on. then maybe New York would be more like Stockholm.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,014

This from a consultant cardiologist in Glasgow. (Might be bollocks, but no reason to suspect so): apparently, many of the people who are being admitted to hospital with V-19 have their phone, but not a phone charger. Just a thought, but if people wanted to donate a few phone chargers to their local CV-19 hospital, it might be a huge comfort to somebody who otherwise can't contact their family at a very difficult time.

Not bollocks at all. I've seen the point made elsewhere by another medic a few days ago - make sure your emergency bag to go to hospital contains a charger. It's not as if your relatives will be allowed to visit.
  • Options
    Clinton now 2nd fav to be nominee.
  • Options
    Floater said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

I have no idea why that would be but both France and Belgium had big spikes in deaths when they started including them.

A lot about care homes on Jeremy Vine this lunch time. Not happy places. Not only will hospitals not accept patients from them, but government demanding daily returns as to whether they have vacancies. If they do, these are filled with bedblockers from the hospital to free up beds. Bedblockers do not come with a clear test reult.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Did the result form Wisconsin ever get counted?

If it was perhaps it was so overwhelming that sanders palled out for that reason. if not, then why on ether did he leave it to the day after to pull out, forcing huge numbers to fell like they needed to make one extra trip to the poling stations.
  • Options
    stodge said:

BigRich said:

The evidence is if the weather is nice, we'll all want to dash out and enjoy it. It would be much easier if it was cold and raining but the weather is often capricious.

As to whether the lock down is "helping only a small amount", had we done nothing and carried on, I'm very much of the view London would have ended up like New York with the health services overwhelmed and more deaths.
    If we had done nothing yes, probably or maybe.

In New York where the Governor sour it as his job to reassure everybody that all was fine, its just like the flu and if you are heath of no concerns. combined with Trump doing the same if not quite so extreme in the early days, reduced the amount of people tacking sensible preconditions.

if the Governor and president had sead nothing more people would have taken precautions, if the Governor and the President had told people that this is serious please stop shacking hands and so on. then maybe New York would be more like Stockholm.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,665
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

nico67 said:

It would all be on the death certificate, the details of how to fill these in are here:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/877302/guidance-for-doctors-completing-medical-certificates-of-cause-of-death-covid-19.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwijjY3AwNnoAhWXiVwKHWNICKMQFjABegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw2RZeXtK5ZxvnFxvhkUa5ua&cshid=1586372081287

Section 4.1 deals with the hierarchy of causation, including direct, underlying cause and contributing factors. A positive swab is not needed, provided there is sufficient evidence of cause, such as typical features.
    Thank you for that.

As a layman - that seems pretty clear. It seems to say, to me, that the doctors have a duty to put COVID19 on the death certificate if they *believe* (by diagnosis) it is one of the causes of death. Is that right?

Follow up questions :

Do we have a documented statement from the ONS on what they include?

I have *heard* that they are including every death where the death certificate or the coroners report mentions COVID19.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Foxy said:

Jesus, my heart sank for a second when I read 'looks like Biden has it'!
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,528
    New York State now has almost exactly 10% of declared global virus cases
  • Options

Foxy said:

Jesus, my heart sank for a second when I read 'looks like Biden has it'!
    Harris. POTUS. 190/1
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Thank you, my friend.

So many people are putting so much faith in the numbers being published, we need them to be as accurate and reliable as possible.

I'm sure other information, to which the public isn't party, is being used to inform Government policy. The trouble is it's only what we do see that informs the public debate.

• Options
    BigRich said:

Foxy said:

If it was perhaps it was so overwhelming that sanders palled out for that reason. if not, then why on ether did he leave it to the day after to pull out, forcing huge numbers to fell like they needed to make one extra trip to the poling stations.
    I think Wisconsin reports next week.

It is the other elections in Wisconsin that mattered more for the Democrats. The attempted voter suppression is jaw dropping.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Floater said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

A lot about care homes on Jeremy Vine this lunch time. Not happy places. Not only will hospitals not accept patients from them, but government demanding daily returns as to whether they have vacancies. If they do, these are filled with bedblockers from the hospital to free up beds. Bedblockers do not come with a clear test reult.
    If hospitals really have an automatic policy of not accepting patients from residential homes, that's a pretty clear indication of the way this is being handled. And indeed the way the official numbers are being kept down.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

nico67 said:

I suspect the best if not only way to properly do this in a way that can be Constantine across nations is to look at the total death rate in a contrary and compare to the 5 year over 10 year average. this will not be perfect, but is possibly the only way to compare who did best/worst which stratage saved how many lives, its how i will look up the success or fliear of my hearows Sweden.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    isam said:

Cyclefree said:

Yes, although I suspect that the woman in question would have abused any “incomer” virus or not. The virus is an excuse, not the motivating factor
  • Options
    Foxy said:

BigRich said:

Foxy said:

It is the other elections in Wisconsin that mattered more for the Democrats. The attempted voter suppression is jaw dropping.
    OK I had not ralised that there where other things being decided on at the same time
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

This from a consultant cardiologist in Glasgow. (Might be bollocks, but no reason to suspect so): apparently, many of the people who are being admitted to hospital with V-19 have their phone, but not a phone charger. Just a thought, but if people wanted to donate a few phone chargers to their local CV-19 hospital, it might be a huge comfort to somebody who otherwise can't contact their family at a very difficult time.

Not bollocks at all. I've seen the point made elsewhere by another medic a few days ago - make sure your emergency bag to go to hospital contains a charger. It's not as if your relatives will be allowed to visit.
    Another thing to add - if you can, include long cables. From hospital visits, a 2m cable is useful.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

New York State now has almost exactly 10% of declared global virus cases

Part of that will be that they are doing a lot of testing, but still terible
  • Options
    stodge said:

Foxy said:

Thank you, my friend.

So many people are putting so much faith in the numbers being published, we need them to be as accurate and reliable as possible.

I'm sure other information, to which the public isn't party, is being used to inform Government policy. The trouble is it's only what we do see that informs the public debate.

COVID19 is a notifiable disease, so all get reported.

No one gets swabbed unless they have features. Materials are too short to waste swabs on people with other conditions.

If someone did have a severe underlying condition, it would be recorded like this.

Cause of death: pneumonia
    Underlying cause: Covid19
    Contributing factors: diabetes mellitus.

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,050
    Pollution levels in quite a few places have changed from low to moderate today compared to a few days ago.

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/latest/currentlevels
  • Options
    Foxy said:

stodge said:

Foxy said:

Thank you, my friend.

COVID19 is a notifiable disease, so all get reported.

No one gets swabbed unless they have features. Materials are too short to waste swabs on people with other conditions.

If someone did have a severe underlying condition, it would be recorded like this.

Cause of death: pneumonia
    Underlying cause: Covid19
    Contributing factors: diabetes mellitus.

Thank you again for that.

Is there any solid information on the ONS criteria?
  • Options
    No comment

A single care home in the English county of Bedfordshire has lost 15 residents; five of whom had tested positive for Covid-19, officials say.

Public Health England (PHE) has confirmed the deaths and said it does not recommend testing new cases in care homes when some patients have already tested positive “as it will not change the public health management”.

A PHE spokeswoman was not immediately able to clarify when the deaths at the 69-bed Castletroy Residential Home in Luton had occurred.

Sultan Salimee, a consultant in health protection at PHE East, said experts were working closely with the home providing advice to stop the virus spreading.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,151
    Andy_JS said:

Pollution levels in quite a few places have changed from low to moderate today compared to a few days ago.

https://uk-air.defra.gov.uk/latest/currentlevels

I imagine that is temperature related.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

Foxy said:

BigRich said:

Foxy said:

OK I had not ralised that there where other things being decided on at the same time
    Yes, there is a particularly contentious Wisconsin Supreme Court election.

The court is currently hung over an attempt to remove 240 000 off the voting register, a factor that could be crucial in November.

https://twitter.com/gelles/status/1247320418341486592?s=09
  • Options
    Floater said:

No comment

A single care home in the English county of Bedfordshire has lost 15 residents; five of whom had tested positive for Covid-19, officials say.

Public Health England (PHE) has confirmed the deaths and said it does not recommend testing new cases in care homes when some patients have already tested positive “as it will not change the public health management”.

A PHE spokeswoman was not immediately able to clarify when the deaths at the 69-bed Castletroy Residential Home in Luton had occurred.

Sultan Salimee, a consultant in health protection at PHE East, said experts were working closely with the home providing advice to stop the virus spreading.

It comes after the BBC reported that seven residents of an east London care home had died. Another 21 residents are displaying Covid-19 symptoms at the Hawthorn Green home in Stepney, which houses 48 people, according to the broadcaster.
  • Options

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Cyclefree said:

This

A red hot poker would work
  • Options
    Chris said:

IshmaelZ said:

Floater said:

kle4 said:

nico67 said:

If hospitals really have an automatic policy of not accepting patients from residential homes, that's a pretty clear indication of the way this is being handled. And indeed the way the official numbers are being kept down.
    Both widely reported, and widely denied:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/no-policy-keep-coronavirus-patients-18065540

Even if you don't have a blanket ban you have to have a rationing policy which says that only those with very good frailty scores will be treated. Very few people in care homes are going to have good frailty scores, so it comes to the same thing.
  • Options
    Floater said:

No comment

They can still be registered as Covid19 deaths if they have typical features. See my link above.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

How bizarre that so many leave voters don't get it. I can see no logical reason why a Brexit belief should produce such a diffe

I can see "logical" reasons why there'd be a difference once you accept they see the world from different perspectives; even if you don't agree with the viewpoint I don't think it inexplicable or incomprehensible.

Brexit proponents and opponents have always differed in their expectations as to how harmful/disruptive leaving the EU would be, so it's unsurprising there's a gap about ending Transition too.

Related to that, would you rate the following beliefs as more likely among Leavers or Remainers? Bear in mind Leavers are a heterogeneous group so possibly few would subscribe to all of the following, but I suspect each individual statement is more widely held among Leavers than Remainers:

(a) A deal is not particularly necessary, WTO terms are fine, harms of leaving without a deal are overblown,
    (b) A deal is relatively straightforward so the chances of leaving without a deal are overblown (eg belief in UK leverage or that a "simple" deal is better); still a chance of getting that negotiated on time, no need to panic yet,
    (c) What matters most now is certainty, uncertainty is doing more harm than Brexit itself as it leaves firms unable to adjust - let's sort this out ASAP one way or the other to avoid ongoing Brexit uncertainty on top of all the COVID uncertainty.

There's also a big perspective issue that divides Leavers and Remainers in terms of how likely they are to trust politicians with an extension. Leavers have experienced a referendum victory that politicians of many stripes, even at one point the Lib Dem leadership, promised to respect and enact. Then for years they've had politicians about-face on this, belittle Leavers' values, beliefs and intelligence, and try to reverse the result. Politicians who did promise to deliver on Brexit have repeatedly ended up delaying it and dragged the process out long enough that it's revived hope among the more extreme Remainers that the game is still in play. There's a feeling some Leavers have that during Transition we "haven't really left yet" and there is still the odd gobby Remainer arguing that Transition should end with the UK rejoining the EU under emergency COVID provisions...

If a Leaver argues "firstly this has gone on long enough now, and secondly, every time we've had an extension it's been used as an excuse by politicians - even ones who have promised they wouldn't do this - as yet another opportunity to try to cancel Brexit or bounce us into BRINO" then I think that's both understandable and even (in a self-consistent way) rational. You could counter-argue "look, you've got it in the bag already, the UK flag no longer flies at EU HQ, it's over, you won, this is just about getting the deal and nothing else" and that's a very strong argument factually, but if they retort "no, look, we've seen what politicians have said before and what's happened after, I'd either have to be mad or far too trusting to fall for that one" then that position has a kind of "emotional rationality"?
    Sorry I thought I'd deleted that post - I misread the poll as being about the Lockdown extension rather than Brexit! Sorry to provoke such a long response!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

I could work with that

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ec/b8/99/ecb899cad3b26111422afa7167389ae7.jpg
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited April 2020
    felix said:

felix said:

How bizarre that so many leave voters don't get it. I can see no logical reason why a Brexit belief should produce such a diffe

I can see "logical" reasons why there'd be a difference once you accept they see the world from different perspectives; even if you don't agree with the viewpoint I don't think it inexplicable or incomprehensible.

Brexit proponents and opponents have always differed in their expectations as to how harmful/disruptive leaving the EU would be, so it's unsurprising there's a gap about ending Transition too.

Related to that, would you rate the following beliefs as more likely among Leavers or Remainers? Bear in mind Leavers are a heterogeneous group so possibly few would subscribe to all of the following, but I suspect each individual statement is more widely held among Leavers than Remainers:

(a) A deal is not particularly necessary, WTO terms are fine, harms of leaving without a deal are overblown,
    (b) A deal is relatively straightforward so the chances of leaving without a deal are overblown (eg belief in UK leverage or that a "simple" deal is better); still a chance of getting that negotiated on time, no need to panic yet,
    (c) What matters most now is certainty, uncertainty is doing more harm than Brexit itself as it leaves firms unable to adjust - let's sort this out ASAP one way or the other to avoid ongoing Brexit uncertainty on top of all the COVID uncertainty.

There's also a big perspective issue that divides Leavers and Remainers in terms of how likely they are to trust politicians with an extension. Leavers have experienced a referendum victory that politicians of many stripes, even at one point the Lib Dem leadership, promised to respect and enact. Then for years they've had politicians about-face on this, belittle Leavers' values, beliefs and intelligence, and try to reverse the result. Politicians who did promise to deliver on Brexit have repeatedly ended up delaying it and dragged the process out long enough that it's revived hope among the more extreme Remainers that the game is still in play. There's a feeling some Leavers have that during Transition we "haven't really left yet" and there is still the odd gobby Remainer arguing that Transition should end with the UK rejoining the EU under emergency COVID provisions...

If a Leaver argues "firstly this has gone on long enough now, and secondly, every time we've had an extension it's been used as an excuse by politicians - even ones who have promised they wouldn't do this - as yet another opportunity to try to cancel Brexit or bounce us into BRINO" then I think that's both understandable and even (in a self-consistent way) rational. You could counter-argue "look, you've got it in the bag already, the UK flag no longer flies at EU HQ, it's over, you won, this is just about getting the deal and nothing else" and that's a very strong argument factually, but if they retort "no, look, we've seen what politicians have said before and what's happened after, I'd either have to be mad or far too trusting to fall for that one" then that position has a kind of "emotional rationality"?
    Sorry I thought I'd deleted that post - I misread the poll as being about the Lockdown extension rather than Brexit! Sorry to provoke such a long response!
    No problem - would like to see their split on lockdown extension too though, as the two camps do seem to have become a Very British Culture War...
  • Options

Finland the latest country to buy supplies from China that turn out to be dogshit. 2 million surgical masks, turns out don't met the spec and would be dangerous to use in a medical settings against CV.

You wicked sinophobe you!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nico67 said:

I believe most countries have not been including out of hospital deaths in their figures. I do not think there is a cover up going on.
This discussion has been closed.