Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage says that in many seats at GE2015 only UKIP will be

SystemSystem Posts: 11,700
edited December 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Farage says that in many seats at GE2015 only UKIP will be able to beat Labour

In the Independent this morning Nigel Farage seeks to deal with what will be a big negative for his party at GE2015 – the notion that a vote for UKIP is a wasted vote and could let Ed Miliband in.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    He has a point. the Tories will struggle in Northern and metropolitan constituencies. Mrs Duffy might vote farage, she won't vote Cameron,
  • Options
    If the voter has switched their party since 2010 and their preference now is a right-of-centre party, then he or she might not be a Tory on Holiday (and I'd agree with that analysis), but they are a potential Tory on offer.

I still think that UKIP are making a major strategic error if they're aiming to concentrate on a handful of constituencies rather than maximising their vote across the country, but then that depends on what they think their party is for. Has Caroline Lucas winning really made that much difference to the Greens? Probably not, but even if you accept that she has, the Greens are in a wholly different position to UKIP: the eco-communists lose most of their deposits across the country; UKIP have piled up second places in by-elections this parliament. It made sense for the Greens to concentrate on their few possibilities when the mood of the country was so far from being with them; UKIP, on the other hand, could well achieve their principle objective - withdrawal from the EU - without needing any MPs if they can produce enough political pressure on those parties in parliament to grant a referendum. That pressure won't come from an MP or two in Westminster; it comes from affecting hundreds of results all over the country.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,966
    edited December 2013
    If the 70% of UKIP identifiers that did not vote Tory in 2010 mostly did not vote at all, then the chances are that many of them probably won't in 2015 either.

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited December 2013
    Farage's specific point is right: There will be a bunch of seats where Con is hopeless, and UKIP would be marginally less hopeless. The hitch from the united-right point of view is that the voters probably won't be particularly successful in working out which seats those are, and presumably UKIP activists in the seats where voting Con is the best strategic choice won't be working very hard to explain it to them.

One thing I guess voters are pretty good at working out is that where a party has an incumbent MP, that person is probably the best tactical choice. This would explain a decent part of the incumbency benefit that LibDem MPs get. So if UKIP fight all over the country you'd expect Con incumbents to out-perform the national party by more than normal. Meanwhile in Lab-held seats the Tories will be trading mendacious bar-charts with UKIP and splitting the opposition to the incumbent Lab MP.

All this seems to point to a very "sticky" election, where either side will need quite a serious improvement on their 2010 position to effect any change to the status quo.
  • Options
    David I'm not sure maximising their national vote share and targetting a few genuinely winnable seats are two incompatible things. They can and will do both. I think it's likely they'll outpoll the LibDems at the GE.

And if they start succeeding in places the Tories are beyond hope (oop north) well maybe the day will come when a Tory / UKIP coalition is feasible. That'd be a laugh!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    PS. Having come here from Mike's twitter feed on Android I'd like to register a vote for "this Linkis thing is horrible". It seems to be much more interested in promoting itself than promoting the actual site, and took me straight into a pop-over thing that seemed to be broken on Android so I couldn't dismiss it. Then it takes up a chunk of the screen forever after with an entirely useless frame. I don't know about anyone else but when I run into things like this from Twitter with sites I'm going to for the first time I nearly always close the tab and read something else.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    It was interesting the comment that isam made a few threads back: that UKIP flooded a constituency with canvassers just before the poll.

It makes me think that these polls are not about political intelligence but are just about marketing. And they are specifically anti-Tory, whereas the polling data suggests that UKIP has potential to be much more than that.

It seems to me that there are 3 options: Farage doesn't care about letting Labour in (in which case he is naive); Farage has a grudge against the Tories (who knows); or that he just likes the publicity and knows that attacking the Tories will get his disproportionate attention from the media.

I suspect a combination of all 3.

But they are not that serious about winning seats.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

David I'm not sure maximising their national vote share and targetting a few genuinely winnable seats are two incompatible things. They can and will do both.

Right, and if they want to resist a two-party squeeze they're going to have to convince the voters in every seat that they're a viable choice there. That's what Farage's line is setting them up for; it's not like they're going to be sending out leaflets with barcharts saying, "If you were in Seat X we'd be a good choice but don't bother voting for us here, it's hopeless"...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Charles said:

It was interesting the comment that isam made a few threads back: that UKIP flooded a constituency with canvassers just before the poll.

I may have missed something but I think that was just speculation. IIUC the only actual evidence was seeing somebody leafleting (not canvassing), and having seen that isam said, "What if they did a poll here?" and we discussed whether or not it would be a good idea if they did.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Talk about running before he has learned to walk. Farage may take himself seriously but why should anyone else? He has become the home for the "none of the above" voters who used to run to the LibDems when they couldn't vote for either of the major parties.

How many councils and councillors did UKIP win in this year's council elections? How many council seats has it won since and indeed how many has it lost?

Brighton was natural fertile territory for the Greens in 2010, exiled politically-correct London chatterati types. Is the so called "typical" Northern English voter really a potential UKIP voter at a GE rather than the odd council by-election where the turnout is sub30%?
  • Options
    UKIP need a stonking campaign between now and the election to get the usual non-voters to vote. Either that or the Tory Party to bang on about immigration. At least they can rely on the latter.
  • Options

Talk about running before he has learned to walk.

There is no "walk" in FPTP. It's either run or fall over. You won't get anywhere sending out leaflets with bar-charts on them saying, "Winning a respectable 4th place here".
  • Options

PS. Having come here from Mike's twitter feed on Android I'd like to register a vote for "this Linkis thing is horrible". It seems to be much more interested in promoting itself than promoting the actual site, and took me straight into a pop-over thing that seemed to be broken on Android so I couldn't dismiss it. Then it takes up a chunk of the screen forever after with an entirely useless frame. I don't know about anyone else but when I run into things like this from Twitter with sites I'm going to for the first time I nearly always close the tab and read something else.

Thanks for alerting me. I have revoked access to Linkis on my Twitter feed.

• Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited December 2013
    Uncomfortable poll for Michael Gove. His beloved Swedish education system is in utter turmoil since plunging down the OECD rankings. Education in Sweden is the responsibility of local government (which is 2-tier, with the lowest tier being responsible for education), and now there is strong cross-party support for nationalising the education system. Surely Mr Gove will want to follow suit? After all, Sweden is his model for the English education system.

TNS Sifo/SVT
    Re-nationalise schools?

Yes 61%
    No 12%

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/sverige/svenskarna-vill-aterforstatliga-skolan

The Education Minister Jan Björklund (from the Peoples' Party, ie. Lib Dem) has gone on national TV to say he supports re-nationalisation.

The supporters of every single parliamentary party (there are 8 of them) back re-nationalisation. Support is weakest among the tiny Christian Democrats, but even among these supporters half of respondents want to re-nationalise.

Nationalisation of education has been talked about in Scotland, but I'm not aware of any support for it in England.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360

Patrick said:

David I'm not sure maximising their national vote share and targetting a few genuinely winnable seats are two incompatible things. They can and will do both.

Right, and if they want to resist a two-party squeeze they're going to have to convince the voters in every seat that they're a viable choice there. That's what Farage's line is setting them up for; it's not like they're going to be sending out leaflets with barcharts saying, "If you were in Seat X we'd be a good choice but don't bother voting for us here, it's hopeless"...
    They are doing hello-we're-here-too! all over the place - they had a high-profile stand in the main high street in Beeston (Broxtowe) a couple of weeks ago, and Beeston is about as UKIP-friendly as Hampstead.

The deployment of the constituency polls is clever, as is releasing them one at a time - the first time a party has used polling nationally over a long period to make a particular point. The methodology (giving UKIP equal billing on the voting slip) maximises the UKIP response without being anything you could really call bias.

He has a point. the Tories will struggle in Northern and metropolitan constituencies. Mrs Duffy might vote farage, she won't vote Cameron,

Mrs Duffy, who is a forgiving soul, is I believe a member of the Labour Party. I think UKIP has a decent chance of being the main opposition to Labour in various Northern seats, pushing up their poll rating overall. I can't see them winning any, but it serves Farage's intention of increasing their overall rating and credibility.

• Options
    Charles said:

It makes me think that these polls are not about political intelligence but are just about marketing. And they are specifically anti-Tory, whereas the polling data suggests that UKIP has potential to be much more than that.

It seems to me that there are 3 options: Farage doesn't care about letting Labour in (in which case he is naive); Farage has a grudge against the Tories (who knows); or that he just likes the publicity and knows that attacking the Tories will get his disproportionate attention from the media.

I suspect a combination of all 3.

But they are not that serious about winning seats.

I'm far from convinced that flooding a constituency ahead of a poll will make that much difference. The fact that Survation, rightly in my view, includes UKIP in its main party prompt is much more important.

My understanding is that Farage is deadly serious about getting Westminster MPs. He can't come out of another general election with a duck.

• Options
    Those betting on Ladbrokes' seat markets might be interested in this:

"LABOUR has selected former MSP Karen Whitefield as the party’s Falkirk candidate to replace the disgraced MP Eric Joyce at the next general election in 2015. Ms Whitefield, 43, who lost her Airdrie and Shotts seat in the 2011 Holyrood election, was previously chairwoman of the education committee in the Scottish Parliament."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/falkirk-labour-choose-karen-whitefield-as-candidate-1-3225127

Falkirk is one of the very few Labour Westminster seats which has been mentioned as a possible SNP gain.

Ladbrokes - next UK GE

Over 6.5 SNP seats? 4/5
    Under 6.5 seats? 11/10
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    Excellent article from Chris Huhne in Guardian yesterday.

In Scotland, the unionists need to win hearts, not minds
    An economic argument won't decide the independence referendum. What matters is whether Scots feel British

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/08/scotland-unionists-hearts-independence-referendum?commentpage=1
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I'm far from convinced that flooding a constituency ahead of a poll will make that much difference. The fact that Survation, rightly in my view, includes UKIP in its main party prompt is much more important.

My understanding is that Farage is deadly serious about getting Westminster MPs. He can't come out of another general election with a duck.

I'd agree the prompt is more important.

But if you believe that political advertising has any effect at all (and I would assume that it does, but that it has a very short half life) then advertising aggressively immediately befor taking a poll is similar to a push poll (although with a less obvious bias)
  • Options
    Holyrood set to cut pay link after planned 11% rise for MPs

HOLYROOD authorities are poised to sever the link between the salaries of MSPs and MPs after a proposed 11% increase in pay at Westminster prompted widespread condemnation.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/wider-political-news/holyrood-set-to-cut-pay-link-after-planned-11-rise-for-mps.22897959
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,002
    edited December 2013
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. G, I'm not sure I entirely agree, and not just because Huhne's a dubious fellow.

I think that people looking to the future (ie when they're dead and their children and grandchildren are living with the union or independence) will weigh money more heavily. Older people are likelier to vote, and most old people are women so I imagine more women will consider the money argument over sentiment. Men are more prone to risk-taking, so are probably more willing to upset the apple-cart and go for independence (well, that's my sleepy view, anyway).

On a related note, if we had a trebuchet-based justice system Chris Huhne would have had a much briefer, although rather soggier, sentence for his actions.

Edited extra bit: on an unrelated note, the Terracotta Army programme on Ch4 was rather good, better than I'd expected. Glad I watched it. I didn't realise it was quite so recent (middle/late 3rd century BC) and that the Han Dynasty [the end of which is depicted in the classic Three Kingdoms] arrived almost as soon as Qin Shihuangdi (why has the 'di' disappeared? I'm sure that was his name in Fear Effect) died.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

An economic argument won't decide the independence referendum. What matters is whether Scots feel British

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/08/scotland-unionists-hearts-independence-referendum?commentpage=1

I was quite stunned by that article. Fascinating that Huhne has such a good grasp of the topic, because it is fairly obvious that Clegg hasn't got the faintest clue. This passage in particular was thought-provoking:
    ... Linda Colley's book Britons persuasively argues that the forging of Britishness during the 18th and 19th centuries was based on three elements. The first was a common Protestantism, whether in the established or dissenting churches. The second was the continued threat of a Catholic power, France, which had demonstrated its own intolerance for Protestantism in the flood of Huguenot refugees who enriched this country. Between the glorious revolution in 1688 and the battle of Waterloo in 1815 – the founding period of the British state – we were at war with France for 57 years. Look at Hogarth or Gillray to see what the 18th-century Briton thought of the French. France had doubled our population and was a fearsome threat to our trade, freedom and worship. There is nothing like war to unite a country.

The third factor in Britishness was empire. For the younger sons of impoverished Scottish gentry, the empire was booty. The conquest of Bengal alone funded countless country estates back in Britain. Imperialism meant jobs for the boys – particularly poorer Scottish boys.

All these sources of British identity are now extinct.
    I look forward to the first Charlie Kennedy analysis of the IndyRef campaign.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Huhne misses the fact that the economic argument is emotional. And so far it is really not going Salmonds way.

Lot of economic fear out there.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

malcolmg said:

I was quite stunned by that article. Fascinating that Huhne has such a good grasp of the topic, because it is fairly obvious that Clegg hasn't got the faintest clue. This passage in particular was thought-provoking:
    ... Linda Colley's book Britons persuasively argues that the forging of Britishness during the 18th and 19th centuries was based on three elements. The first was a common Protestantism, whether in the established or dissenting churches. The second was the continued threat of a Catholic power, France, which had demonstrated its own intolerance for Protestantism in the flood of Huguenot refugees who enriched this country. Between the glorious revolution in 1688 and the battle of Waterloo in 1815 – the founding period of the British state – we were at war with France for 57 years. Look at Hogarth or Gillray to see what the 18th-century Briton thought of the French. France had doubled our population and was a fearsome threat to our trade, freedom and worship. There is nothing like war to unite a country.

The third factor in Britishness was empire. For the younger sons of impoverished Scottish gentry, the empire was booty. The conquest of Bengal alone funded countless country estates back in Britain. Imperialism meant jobs for the boys – particularly poorer Scottish boys.

All these sources of British identity are now extinct.

And conversely, the SNP need to win the minds, not the hearts.

And they're not doing too good a job of it. There are too many unanswered questions, although I expect howls of anguish and complaint from you and others.

(BTW, I wish we could just remove Huhne out of politics. Why doesn't he just go back to one of his many houses and relax a little instead of pretending he is anything other than an odious little man?)
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited December 2013
    @JosiasJessop
    . I wish we could just remove Huhne out of politics. Why doesn't he just go back to one of his many houses and relax a little instead of pretending he is anything other than an odious little man?)
    What an nasty and ungenerous comment which says a lot more about you than Huhne who is a great loss to politics. His weekly Guardian columns have become a must read.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited December 2013

malcolmg said:

SNIP
    And conversely, the SNP need to win the minds, not the hearts.

And they're not doing too good a job of it. There are too many unanswered questions, although I expect howls of anguish and complaint from you and others.

(BTW, I wish we could just remove Huhne out of politics. Why doesn't he just go back to one of his many houses and relax a little instead of pretending he is anything other than an odious little man?)

Howls of anguish and complaint from me? Hardly. I do not feel the slightest compunction to respond to any of your "unanswered questions" (ho ho), far less howl about it.

The goal of the Yes campaign is to win a majority for Scotland on Thursday 18 September 2014. Nothing more. Nothing less.

The goal of the No campaign appears to be to "win" opinion polls. Fine.They can win as many opinion polls they like. In fact, the more the better, because with each poll they become more arrogant and more complacent.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Perhaps a list of Huhnes achievements as a minister would placate JJ ?

I have a spare postage stamp if that helps....
  • Options

@JosiasJessop

. I wish we could just remove Huhne out of politics. Why doesn't he just go back to one of his many houses and relax a little instead of pretending he is anything other than an odious little man?)
    What an nasty and ungenerous comment which says a lot more about you than Huhne who is a great loss to politics. His weekly Guardian columns have become a must read.

Has Huhne been lost to politics. His self rehabilitation has been a remarkable triumph of will over reality. He probably has more influence today than when he was in govt, or opposition.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Huhne misses the fact that the economic argument is emotional. And so far it is really not going Salmonds way.

Wishful thinking there Jonathan. But, by all means, carry on.

• Options

JosiasJessop

What an nasty and ungenerous comment. Huhne is a great loss to politics and his weekly Guardian columns have become a must read.

Generous?

The likes of Huhne is exactly the reason that so many politicians are wrongly held in contempt, tarred with the same brush.

He's had his chance. He blew it, big time.

I'm sorry if you think it is nasty, but just look at the way he has led his personal and political life to see that 'nasty' best befits him. Remember 'Calamity Clegg'? Remember the brave way he told his wife he was leaving her?

I stick by my words: he is an odious little man.

The more he is in the public eye, the more he damages the Lib Dems. He knows it (it will be a form of revenge), and so does the Guardian.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @MikeSmithson

' Huhne who is a great loss to politics. His weekly Guardian columns have become a must read.

Someone who thinks they are above the law and drags their entire family down with their lies ,is a great loss to politics?

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Perhaps a list of Huhnes achievements as a minister would placate JJ ?

I have a spare postage stamp if that helps....

Huhne's postage stamp would need to be bigger than Michael Moore's.
  • Options

Holyrood set to cut pay link after planned 11% rise for MPs

HOLYROOD authorities are poised to sever the link between the salaries of MSPs and MPs after a proposed 11% increase in pay at Westminster prompted widespread condemnation.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/wider-political-news/holyrood-set-to-cut-pay-link-after-planned-11-rise-for-mps.22897959

A daft step. While the wage rise is automatic and set by some external criterion, whether that be salaries at Westminster or of some other professional group, any criticism can be deflected. If there is no link, then Holyrood will have a row every year about MSPs' salaries. It will be repeating Westminster's mistake.

• Options

Those betting on Ladbrokes' seat markets might be interested in this:

"LABOUR has selected former MSP Karen Whitefield as the party’s Falkirk candidate to replace the disgraced MP Eric Joyce at the next general election in 2015. Ms Whitefield, 43, who lost her Airdrie and Shotts seat in the 2011 Holyrood election, was previously chairwoman of the education committee in the Scottish Parliament."

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/falkirk-labour-choose-karen-whitefield-as-candidate-1-3225127

Falkirk is one of the very few Labour Westminster seats which has been mentioned as a possible SNP gain.

Ladbrokes - next UK GE

Over 6.5 SNP seats? 4/5
    Under 6.5 seats? 11/10

Given her predilection for telling porkies and connections with Unite she seems a perfect choice by Len.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

Someone who thinks they are above the law and drags their entire family down with their lies

You've probably just described half the members of the House of Commons.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Wishful thinking there Jonathan. But, by all means, carry on.

Wishful in what way? I have no skin in this game. But when Scots tell me they are voting no, because they worry about their (or their kids') job I feel the economic argument is not entirely won.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. G, I'm not sure I entirely agree, and not just because Huhne's a dubious fellow.

I think that people looking to the future (ie when they're dead and their children and grandchildren are living with the union or independence) will weigh money more heavily. Older people are likelier to vote, and most old people are women so I imagine more women will consider the money argument over sentiment. Men are more prone to risk-taking, so are probably more willing to upset the apple-cart and go for independence (well, that's my sleepy view, anyway).

On a related note, if we had a trebuchet-based justice system Chris Huhne would have had a much briefer, although rather soggier, sentence for his actions.

Edited extra bit: on an unrelated note, the Terracotta Army programme on Ch4 was rather good, better than I'd expected. Glad I watched it. I didn't realise it was quite so recent (middle/late 3rd century BC) and that the Han Dynasty [the end of which is depicted in the classic Three Kingdoms] arrived almost as soon as Qin Shihuangdi (why has the 'di' disappeared? I'm sure that was his name in Fear Effect) died.

MD , more people will go with long term rather than possible short term , given we are being promised are cuts , poverty , work till you die , soaring foodbanks, etc there is no monetary point to staying.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Lot of economic fear out there.

Jonathan, There is but people are starting to realise it is either YES for a chance or NO for poverty. The tide has turned
  • Options

john_zims said:

Someone who thinks they are above the law and drags their entire family down with their lies

Or MSPs, if you play that game.

Bill Walker, for instance?
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    @JJ

The guy has done his time. Let him get on with his life.
  • Options

john_zims said:

LOL, big underestimate at 50% I think
  • Options

JosiasJessop

What an nasty and ungenerous comment. Huhne is a great loss to politics and his weekly Guardian columns have become a must read.
    Generous?

The likes of Huhne is exactly the reason that so many politicians are wrongly held in contempt, tarred with the same brush.

He's had his chance. He blew it, big time.

I'm sorry if you think it is nasty, but just look at the way he has led his personal and political life to see that 'nasty' best befits him. Remember 'Calamity Clegg'? Remember the brave way he told his wife he was leaving her?

I stick by my words: he is an odious little man.

The more he is in the public eye, the more he damages the Lib Dems. He knows it (it will be a form of revenge), and so does the Guardian.

Huhne obviously regards himself as to important to choose this method of atonement:

" After his resignation, Profumo began to work as a volunteer cleaning toilets at Toynbee Hall, a charity based in the East End of London, and continued to work there for the rest of his life.[1] Eventually, he volunteered as the charity's chief fundraiser. These charitable activities helped to restore the fallen politician's reputation; he was appointed a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) in 1975 "
  • Options
    Mr. G, your list of issues (with one exception, that I'll address below) are short term. You can change them by voting Labour at the General Election. Foodbanks are an unreasonable item to use in arguments because their 'popularity' has increased dramatically every single year they've been in this country, including during a boom. Capacity has yet to meet demand, so increasing use is not evidence of increasing poverty, woe and doom (or evidence of the reverse) but a reflection of the fact there have never been enough or more foodbanks than can cater to people who would use them.

Pensions are a big problem. Scottish life expectancy, I believe, is shorter than that elsewhere in the UK, so higher pension ages would be worse (relatively) for the Scots than other Britons. It's also not something that would really change if we had a new UK government. However, if Scotland does become independent unravelling the pensions of Britons and Scots could be very difficult indeed. (Imagine someone with an English mother and Scottish father, registered to vote in Scotland, who lives in Scotland and commutes across the border to work in England every day. Who pays the pension?)
  • Options

john_zims said:

Hardly 50% , and so far we have not seen anything like the levels of corruption in Holyrood as we see in Westminster. Telling that you choose the one bad SNP egg and do not mention the much more well known Tory and labour leaders who were ousted for fiddling money
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

@JJ

Bob, you have to be joking , Tories like Josias would have had him in public stocks for 10 years, they are such sticklers for the law.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited December 2013

If the voter has switched their party since 2010 and their preference now is a right-of-centre party, then he or she might not be a Tory on Holiday (and I'd agree with that analysis), but they are a potential Tory on offer.

I still think that UKIP are making a major strategic error if they're aiming to concentrate on a handful of constituencies rather than maximising their vote across the country, but then that depends on what they think their party is for. Has Caroline Lucas winning really made that much difference to the Greens? Probably not, but even if you accept that she has, the Greens are in a wholly different position to UKIP: the eco-communists lose most of their deposits across the country; UKIP have piled up second places in by-elections this parliament. It made sense for the Greens to concentrate on their few possibilities when the mood of the country was so far from being with them; UKIP, on the other hand, could well achieve their principle objective - withdrawal from the EU - without needing any MPs if they can produce enough political pressure on those parties in parliament to grant a referendum. That pressure won't come from an MP or two in Westminster; it comes from affecting hundreds of results all over the country.

From what I understand of UKIP plans for GE2015, the party intends to stand candidates in most if not all constituencies in the England, Scotland and Wales.

There will be targeted districts of course, but don't make the mistake of thinking that UKIP will not stand everywhere they can.
  • Options
    @malcolmg

'Jonathan, There is but people are starting to realise it is either YES for a chance or NO for poverty. The tide has turned'

So if the tide has turned & after Salmond's white paper a couple of weeks ago,what changes are you expecting in the next batch of polls?
  • Options

Patrick said:

We're in danger of viewing all breakthrough parties as having to operate through what we might call the Lib Dem prism: establish a local base, work the wards and constituency very hard, put out hundreds of thousands of newsletters and incrementally increase a presence over years.

That is undoubtedly one route to power but it's one that's taken the Lib Dems sixty years to take them from a taxicab-full of MPs to government, wheras UKIP have the potential to overtake the Lib Dems in votes come 2015 (I don't think they will, for what it's worth, but it certainly might happen).

We're also assuming that all voters care about affecting who is returned, which is patently untrue. There is bags of evidence that while some voters clearly care supporting a party that might be elected, or stopping one that might be, it's very far from all of them. For one thing, if that motivation were true, the same logic would apply at a national level and only Conservatives or Labour would ever be elected. UKIP can fish happily in this pool of voters without having to resort to barcharts: they simply need to campaign on rejecting the other three parties. Given that around 40% of the electorate didn't support any of them last time - either because they didn't vote at all or because they supported a minor party - and given that the Lib Dem option of 'not the others' is far less in play, I'd have thought that across most of the country 'Protest Now' or 'Vote Against the Lot of Them' would be more effective.
  • Options

Mr. G, your list of issues (with one exception, that I'll address below) are short term. You can change them by voting Labour at the General Election. Foodbanks are an unreasonable item to use in arguments because their 'popularity' has increased dramatically every single year they've been in this country, including during a boom. Capacity has yet to meet demand, so increasing use is not evidence of increasing poverty, woe and doom (or evidence of the reverse) but a reflection of the fact there have never been enough or more foodbanks than can cater to people who would use them.

Pensions are a big problem. Scottish life expectancy, I believe, is shorter than that elsewhere in the UK, so higher pension ages would be worse (relatively) for the Scots than other Britons. It's also not something that would really change if we had a new UK government. However, if Scotland does become independent unravelling the pensions of Britons and Scots could be very difficult indeed. (Imagine someone with an English mother and Scottish father, registered to vote in Scotland, who lives in Scotland and commutes across the border to work in England every day. Who pays the pension?)

MD, nothing difficult there, the pension follows where you paid your Tax/NI. So if it was to UK then they pay the pension and if it is to Scotland then they pay it, nothing complex whatsoever. If I work in France and UK , is it hard to work out who pays my pension. Fact is that at 70 in a good few areas in Scotland there will be no-one needing a pension, so it will cost us very little.
  • Options
    Mr. G, and other Scots, an odd question: ages ago (perhaps Picts rather than Scots) the Caledonians had an instrument used in war. Whether in battles themselves or as a ceremonial device I can't recall. It more or less resembled a large pole, atop which was a dragon's head (perhaps with a fluttering pennant/air sock type tail behind it). A sound was made by air passing through the dragon's mouth. I think it may also have been quite easy to tell what direction the sound/music was coming from.

Any idea what it was called? [I appreciate this is an obscure question. Something like the 2nd century AD is the timezone I think it was used].
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

I think Farage is aiming for those Northern Labour voters who are economically left wing and socially right wing, and there are a lot of them. The Mrs Duffys - Phil Woolas territory. My auntie from Yorkshire was a union activist and Labour party member but probably too extreme for Ukip.

They vote Labour despite disagreeing with many of their policies. It's an emotional tie and Farage thinks it can be broken. Hence the Labour MPs queuing up to apologise for elements of the last government

• Options
    john_zims said:

@malcolmg

'Jonathan, There is but people are starting to realise it is either YES for a chance or NO for poverty. The tide has turned'

So if the tide has turned & after Salmond's white paper a couple of weeks ago,what changes are you expecting in the next batch of polls?

The polls are mince, the weighting they use is useless. I expect nothing from them, unionists will keep kidding themselves they are doing well till the spring when the panic will set in as they see the light.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

john_zims said:

Hardly 50% , and so far we have not seen anything like the levels of corruption in Holyrood as we see in Westminster. Telling that you choose the one bad SNP egg and do not mention the much more well known Tory and labour leaders who were ousted for fiddling money
    I chose it because it is very recent, incredibly nasty, and involved family. Quite apt for "Someone who thinks they are above the law and drags their entire family down with their lies"

If you want to read anything else into it, then that's your problem.

The way I see it is this: we are citizens. We are all flawed; some in large ways, some in small ways. If you have 1,000 citizens in a room, there will be a small number of wife beaters, rapists, swindlers, fraudsters, drunkards, and any other number of flawed characters. There will be a very small number of 'good' characters with few, if any, significant flaws. (*)

Politicians put themselves forward for election from that pool. The idea that the people willing to put themselves through the hardship and uncertainty of an election campaign all being in the latter 'good' pool than the former 'flawed' pool is laughable.

We all go on about wanting our politicians to be 'like us'. In all too many cases, they are. That is both a glory of the system and a big problem.

(*) On this, I must congratulate John Woodcock on his statement about his depression. A brave move, and one the media have thankfully responded very humanely to.
  • Options
    Incidentally, there's going to be an election in Thailand in response to the protests:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25252795

Apparently the protestors want an unelected People's Council.
  • Options
    @malcolmg

'The polls are mince, the weighting they use is useless. I expect nothing from them, unionists will keep kidding themselves they are doing well till the spring when the panic will set in as they see the light.'

So lets get this right,you say the tide has turned,only a YES vote will get Scotland out of poverty,we had the spectacular launch of the independence white paper by Salmond,but the polling companies are rubbish and will show none of this?

Are you having a laugh?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Bobajob said:

@JJ

Bob, you have to be joking , Tories like Josias would have had him in public stocks for 10 years, they are such sticklers for the law.
    1) I am not a Tory. But thanks for the compliment. ;-)

2) I would not have him in the stocks. But Huhne has lost all credibility. There are better - and wiser - people to whom we should listen, on all sides of politics. Give them their chance.

3) He has served his time. But that does not mean he is rehabilitated.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@malcolmg

'The polls are mince, the weighting they use is useless. I expect nothing from them, unionists will keep kidding themselves they are doing well till the spring when the panic will set in as they see the light.'

So lets get this right,you say the tide has turned,only a YES vote will get Scotland out of poverty,we had the spectacular launch of the independence white paper by Salmond,but the polling companies are rubbish and will show none of this?

Are you having a laugh?

Laugh if you like , the launch was to show how it was possible for Scotland to have a positive future as opposed to continuing decline and poverty in the one sided union. The polls will continue to show the move away from NO but as they are not accurate due to the way they weight the polls then they will not show the real picture. We have been here before, I nave no worries about the polls.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

john_zims said:

@malcolmg

The polls are mince, the weighting they use is useless. I expect nothing from them, unionists will keep kidding themselves they are doing well till the spring when the panic will set in as they see the light.

Surprising then that the SNP haven't asked a reputable firm to carry out their own polling for the SNP ?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Bobajob said:

@JJ

1) I am not a Tory. But thanks for the compliment. ;-)

2) I would not have him in the stocks. But Huhne has lost all credibility. There are better - and wiser - people to whom we should listen, on all sides of politics. Give them their chance.

3) He has served his time. But that does not mean he is rehabilitated.
    He still seems able to have a balanced realistic opinion for one thing , which places him far apart from most Westminster politicians. Not very sure on the better and wiser part, could you give some shining examples.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    I wonder if we will see another Survation poll tonight then.

Both the Tories and Ukip are right - voting for the latter will let Labour in to many seats, but most Ukip supporters aren't natural Tory voters anyway. It will be a shame to see Ukip poll second to Labour in many urban, particularly northern seats, as it will just emphasise where the Conservatives have gone wrong.

The best thing Cameron and Co could do would be to give these disaffected voters something to vote for in the first place. A lot more to do there, but I hope we will get something closer to the election.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Yet more good news delivered on the ninth day of Advent

A very solid set of consumer expenditure figures for November reported in the "Visa Europe: UK Expenditure Index". Few will now be doubting that the economic recovery has solid foundations but it is always comforting to see this assumption confirmed by the latest metrics.

As Huhne attracts attention by opining on Scotland and Farage continues his search for a winnable constituency, George Osborne continues to deliver his good cheer through our shops.

Headline figures from Visa Report:

• Month-on-month consumer spending increased by +1.0% in November, following a modest decline in October (-1.4%).

• Year-on-year spending rose at the second-strongest rate for over three years (+1.5%), following a slight increase in October (+0.5%).

• Quarterly spending figures signalled that underlying expenditure improved at the strongest rate for seven months (+1.1%), following an increase in October (+0.8%).

• Non-seasonally adjusted year-on-year expenditure increased across all three monitored spending channels in November: Face-to-Face (+1.3%), Online (+1.0%) and Mail/Telephone Order (+2.6%).

Seasonal tinsel was added to the good cheer when Paul Smith, Senior Economist at Markit, commented:

“November’s UK Expenditure Index turned in a notable performance, with growth recorded on the high street and online. An overall annual rate of expansion of 1.5% is the best since June, and the data are consistent with the economy heading in Q4 for another quarter of least 0.8% q-o-q growth.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

Both the Tories and Ukip are right - voting for the latter will let Labour in to many seats, but most Ukip supporters aren't natural Tory voters anyway. It will be a shame to see Ukip poll second to Labour in many urban, particularly northern seats, as it will just emphasise where the Conservatives have gone wrong.

The best thing Cameron and Co could do would be to give these disaffected voters something to vote for in the first place. A lot more to do there, but I hope we will get something closer to the election.

Yes it's a tough one.

Should Cameron follow the Heineken strategy and give UKIP a run at some labour seats ?

The problem would of course be it would be seen as giving up on the North and cities, and he and Farage have just let it get too personal.
  • Options

Millsy said:

Yes it's a tough one.

Should Cameron follow the Heineken strategy and give UKIP a run at some labour seats ?

The problem would of course be it would be seen as giving up on the North and cities, and he and Farage have just let it get too personal.
    What are Ukip offering for this free run ? Free run in other seats ? Confidence and supply ? Coalition ?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

A very solid set of consumer expenditure figures for November reported in the "Visa Europe: UK Expenditure Index". Few will now be doubting that the economic recovery has solid foundations but it is always comforting to see this assumption confirmed by the latest metrics.

As Huhne attracts attention by opining on Scotland and Farage continues his search for a winnable constituency, George Osborne continues to deliver his good cheer through our shops.

• Month-on-month consumer spending increased by +1.0% in November, following a modest decline in October (-1.4%).

• Year-on-year spending rose at the second-strongest rate for over three years (+1.5%), following a slight increase in October (+0.5%).

• Quarterly spending figures signalled that underlying expenditure improved at the strongest rate for seven months (+1.1%), following an increase in October (+0.8%).

• Non-seasonally adjusted year-on-year expenditure increased across all three monitored spending channels in November: Face-to-Face (+1.3%), Online (+1.0%) and Mail/Telephone Order (+2.6%).

Seasonal tinsel was added to the good cheer when Paul Smith, Senior Economist at Markit, commented:

“November’s UK Expenditure Index turned in a notable performance, with growth recorded on the high street and online. An overall annual rate of expansion of 1.5% is the best since June, and the data are consistent with the economy heading in Q4 for another quarter of least 0.8% q-o-q growth.

I can't see how borrowing and spending is that much good news. Isn't that what got us into the mess in the first place ?
  • Options
    @AveryLP You always look as though you are posting from CCHQ
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited December 2013
    MG.. Huhne has never had a "Balanced and realistic opinion" on anything, he has just been singing a tune you like . The man is a compulsive and destructive liar.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Millsy said:

Yes it's a tough one.

What are Ukip offering for this free run ? Free run in other seats ? Confidence and supply ? Coalition ?
    Overconfidence, bad planning and undeliverable pacts if the past is any guideline. While the electoral maths might look tempting to the Peter Bone types I can't see it happening.
  • Options

You mean he isn't ? :-)
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795

Uncomfortable poll for Michael Gove. His beloved Swedish education system is in utter turmoil since plunging down the OECD rankings. Education in Sweden is the responsibility of local government (which is 2-tier, with the lowest tier being responsible for education), and now there is strong cross-party support for nationalising the education system. Surely Mr Gove will want to follow suit? After all, Sweden is his model for the English education system.

TNS Sifo/SVT
    Re-nationalise schools?

Yes 61%
    No 12%

The Education Minister Jan Björklund (from the Peoples' Party, ie. Lib Dem) has gone on national TV to say he supports re-nationalisation.

The supporters of every single parliamentary party (there are 8 of them) back re-nationalisation. Support is weakest among the tiny Christian Democrats, but even among these supporters half of respondents want to re-nationalise.

Nationalisation of education has been talked about in Scotland, but I'm not aware of any support for it in England.

Uncomfortable?

I'd say the whole case for 'Free' Schools - flimsy thought it always was - has been completely demolished.

There is but a smoking ruin of an ideology and policy, which will be swept away by an incoming Labour government.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

From what I understand of UKIP plans for GE2015, the party intends to stand candidates in most if not all constituencies in the England, Scotland and Wales.

There will be targeted districts of course, but don't make the mistake of thinking that UKIP will not stand everywhere they can.
    Why not Northern Ireland? They're UKIP, not GBIP.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    BenM said:

TNS Sifo/SVT
    Re-nationalise schools?

Yes 61%
    No 12%

Uncomfortable?

I'd say the whole case for 'Free' Schools - flimsy thought it always was - has been completely demolished.

There is but a smoking ruin of an ideology and policy, which will be swept away by an incoming Labour government.
    That's it Ben - renationalise schools, then energy companies - then shops, factories and restaurants. We need these things running for our benefit not the greedy capitalists. Look to Venezuela for inspiration..
  • Options

We're in danger of viewing all breakthrough parties as having to operate through what we might call the Lib Dem prism: establish a local base, work the wards and constituency very hard, put out hundreds of thousands of newsletters and incrementally increase a presence over years.

That is undoubtedly one route to power but it's one that's taken the Lib Dems sixty years to take them from a taxicab-full of MPs to government, wheras UKIP have the potential to overtake the Lib Dems in votes come 2015 (I don't think they will, for what it's worth, but it certainly might happen).

We're also assuming that all voters care about affecting who is returned, which is patently untrue. There is bags of evidence that while some voters clearly care supporting a party that might be elected, or stopping one that might be, it's very far from all of them. For one thing, if that motivation were true, the same logic would apply at a national level and only Conservatives or Labour would ever be elected. UKIP can fish happily in this pool of voters without having to resort to barcharts: they simply need to campaign on rejecting the other three parties. Given that around 40% of the electorate didn't support any of them last time - either because they didn't vote at all or because they supported a minor party - and given that the Lib Dem option of 'not the others' is far less in play, I'd have thought that across most of the country 'Protest Now' or 'Vote Against the Lot of Them' would be more effective.

In defence of the LibDem prism, what you're advocating sounds a lot like what the Alliance did in 1983, except probably with a smaller vote share. The problem for Farage afterwards is that nobody takes much notice of vote share, especially when we're talking about 3rd vs 4th rather than 1st vs 2nd. Say UKIP fight a good national campaign, take 14% of the vote, beat the LibDems into 4th place, but get zero seats. What good thing happens next for them?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

john_zims said:

@malcolmg

Surprising then that the SNP haven't asked a reputable firm to carry out their own polling for the SNP ?
    All political parties conduct polling. The results are almost never published.

The current Unionist narrative suits the Yes campaign just fine. When the No side are digging such a fine hole for themselves there is no need to disrupt them.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

john_zims said:

@malcolmg

All political parties conduct polling. The results are almost never published.

The current Unionist narrative suits the Yes campaign just fine. When the No side are digging such a fine hole for themselves there is no need to disrupt them.
    Right - so the hidden top secret polls are all great for the SNP ? Hmm.
  • Options
    Panorama looks off message tonight !?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25219453

"Labour's plans to freeze fuel prices could bankrupt investors in energy companies, the head of the OECD has told Panorama.

Forcing firms to absorb wholesale price increases could put investors in financial danger, said Angel Gurria, the organisation's secretary-general."

""They'll probably go bankrupt. How are you going to get people to come in and invest to get their money back in 30, 40 years' time when you say there's going to be a freeze?

"I think this is simply not consistent, not economically objective.""
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    TGOHF.. At the merest hint of a rise in an SNP private poll it would be screamed from the roof tops, extremely stupid if it wasn't..
  • Options

Mr. G, and other Scots, an odd question: ages ago (perhaps Picts rather than Scots) the Caledonians had an instrument used in war. Whether in battles themselves or as a ceremonial device I can't recall. It more or less resembled a large pole, atop which was a dragon's head (perhaps with a fluttering pennant/air sock type tail behind it). A sound was made by air passing through the dragon's mouth. I think it may also have been quite easy to tell what direction the sound/music was coming from.

Any idea what it was called? [I appreciate this is an obscure question. Something like the 2nd century AD is the timezone I think it was used].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnyx
  • Options
    edited December 2013

AveryLP said:

I can't see how borrowing and spending is that much good news. Isn't that what got us into the mess in the first place ?
    I am not sure these figures tell us anything about borrowing, Mr. Brooke.

Ultimately most output is 'consumed' by households, so rising sales indicate that more factories and people are working. We shouldn't assume that increased consumer expenditure is automatically undesirable: it is a sign of growing confidence in the economy and slowly improving household finances.

A growth in consumer credit too, or, at this stage of the recovery, more likely a fall in savings, is also a sign of the economic recovery bedding in. It all depends on the balance and rates of change and there is nothing so far in the BoE figures on household sector finances to suggest that consumer credit figures or even the savings ratio are changing at an abnormal rate or creating dangers for the future.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Probably posted before but well worth another link:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2013/12/by-george-britains-austerity-experiment-didnt-work.html
    But from an economic perspective, Osborne’s argument is hogwash. His effort to cure the patient by subjecting it to the equivalent of leeching—big cuts in government spending and higher taxes—a return to pre-Keynesian policies watched closely the world over, failed abysmally.

Imposed at a time when the U.K.’s economy was recovering from the financial crisis of 2008-09, it subjected his countrymen and countrywomen to three more years of slump-like conditions, and it produced a dearth of public-sector and private-sector investment that will hobble Britain for years to come. It even failed to meet its own targets of drastically reducing the budget deficit and bringing down Britain’s over-all debt burden.
  • Options
    @BenM

And Labour's state education legacy......a stunning bottom of the global league.

'Research by the respected Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) found that 16- to 24-year-olds lag close to the bottom of global league tables in literacy and numeracy.

According to figures, England is ranked 22nd out of 24 western countries in terms of literacy and 21st for numeracy – being outperformed by nations such as Estonia, Poland and Slovakia.'
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    With the strong growth in engineering sector recruitment, it will be interesting to see whether the ONS manufacturing figures this week finally start to reflect the strong survey data of the last few months.

Also interesting to see the strongest growth in the Midlands.

"The latest Report on Jobs from the Recruitment and Employment Confederation (REC) and KPMG has identified an easing in staff placements while salaries have risen at their sharpest rate in six years. Permanent and temporary appointments having continued to rise at strong, albeit slower rates with overall vacancies increasing at the fastest pace since July 1998. Permanent salary growth is now at a six-year high reflecting the decline in candidate availability.

Regionally speaking the increase in permanent placements was experienced in all four monitored English regions with the Midlands continuing to register the fastest growth. The Midlands also led a broad-based expansion of temporary/contract staff billings during November.

Private sector demand for staff remained stronger than public sector demand. Growth of demand was broad-based across all nine types of permanent staff monitored by the survey in November. The strongest rate of expansion was signalled for Engineering workers, as was the case in October."

http://www.theglobalrecruiter.com/news/latest-jobs-report-from-rec-shows-result-of-declining-candidate-availability/4755
  • Options
    edited December 2013

I am sitting next to Grant Shapps as I type, Mike, but don't worry, all good Tories are about to go into 24 hour period of silence to mourn Mandela's passing.

• Options
    BenM said:

TNS Sifo/SVT
    Re-nationalise schools?

Yes 61%
    No 12%

Uncomfortable?

I doubt it. Free schools are a daft extension of Labour's academies, and most likely they will simply be absorbed into that programme. Proposing abrupt action risks repelling those voters who care -- the ones with children currently at these schools.

The toxic side effect of free schools that Conservative supporters should worry about is they have distracted Michael Gove from the school places shortage that developed while his eye was off the ball.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@BenM

And Labour's state education legacy......a stunning bottom of the global league.

'Research by the respected Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) found that 16- to 24-year-olds lag close to the bottom of global league tables in literacy and numeracy.

According to figures, England is ranked 22nd out of 24 western countries in terms of literacy and 21st for numeracy – being outperformed by nations such as Estonia, Poland and Slovakia.'

Gove and pals were shouting about how they were fixing that.

Looks like we're going tinto reverse in Education under the Tories. Again.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@BenM

There is something very noteworthy there -- the PISA figures imply synthetic phonics was not the panacea for illiteracy we hoped for.
  • Options
    BenM said:

john_zims said:

@BenM

We were already in reverse under Labour - see the results. It is obvious that despite the mantra of 'education, education, education', the schools were getting worse and not equipping our children with the skills they need.

If something is failing to such a degree, it is worth trying a different approach. Just because it fails in one place, does not mean the same concepts applied differently will not work. But it is a worrying indication.

But a return to the 1997-2010 status quo is also not an option.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited December 2013

In defence of the LibDem prism, what you're advocating sounds a lot like what the Alliance did in 1983, except probably with a smaller vote share. The problem for Farage afterwards is that nobody takes much notice of vote share, especially when we're talking about 3rd vs 4th rather than 1st vs 2nd. Say UKIP fight a good national campaign, take 14% of the vote, beat the LibDems into 4th place, but get zero seats. What good thing happens next for them?
    If UKIP get 14% then we will get some form of a Labour Govt (maybe with LDs) and no European referendum. Lib Dems happy, Labour happy and most UKIP MEPs and the Leadership happy as their party can continue "calling for a referendum" and they can continue on nice little earners at tax payers expense. The eurosceptics with principles will feel robbed and wonder why it happened. But that is where we are heading.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

I am not sure these figures tell us anything about borrowing, Mr. Brooke.

Ultimately most output is 'consumed' by households, so rising sales indicate that more factories and people are working. We shouldn't assume that increased consumer expenditure is automatically undesirable: it is a sign of growing confidence in the economy and slowly improving household finances.

A growth in consumer credit too, or, at this stage of the recovery, more likely a fall in savings, is also a sign of the economic recovery bedding in. It all depends on the balance and rates of change and there is nothing so far in the BoE figures on household sector finances to suggest that consumer credit figures or even the savings ratio are changing at an abnormal rate or creating dangers for the future.
    Now now Mr Pole, let's have a bit of honesty in the debate.

Consumption is being supported by heavy government borrowing. If HMG stopped borrowing a lot of households would have less money and consumption would fall off a cliff. Our growth is not being driven by industry selling more than it did pre recession or by a sudden improvement in the BoP. All things being equal these last two factors continue to be real worries for our future well being, since by whichever measure we take we're still not paying our way in the world. It is to be regretted that HMG didn't tackle these Achilles heels of the british economy early in this Parlt when it had the public in a mind to take on major change.

• Options
    BBC "Some patients taken by ambulance to A&E departments are waiting in the vehicle for much longer than the recommended 15 minutes, with one case involving a six-hour delay, figures show. Data for ambulance services in England, Scotland and Wales, obtained by the BBC under the Freedom of Information Act, suggest Wales had the longest waits."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25268451

Will Labour in Wales deprive Ed Milliband of an attack line on the UK Government? Toby suggested that a few days ago in the Telegraph. An issue of "least worst"?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,988

Charles said:

I may have missed something but I think that was just speculation. IIUC the only actual evidence was seeing somebody leafleting (not canvassing), and having seen that isam said, "What if they did a poll here?" and we discussed whether or not it would be a good idea if they did.
    It wasn't canvassing, ukip asked local members to help deliver leaflets

• Options

Unlike the Alliance, UKIP are a pressure-group political party with a clear number one objective. That this objective might not be of overriding importance to many voters is beside the point - it's a key component of their identity. Voters might not much notice whether UKIP finish third or fourth but the other parties will. Voters won't much notice whether UKIP have no MPs or ten of them: it probably wouldn't have that much impact on the overall Westminster picture (as opposed to the national vote share required to give them ten MPs, which would *very much* impact the overall Westminster picture, but then that's the point).

If UKIP secure 14% but win no seats, I'd say it's far more likely that there'll be an In/Out EU referendum than if they win one seat on 5%. That, for them, is a very good thing.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    edited December 2013
  • Options

If UKIP secure 14% but win no seats, I'd say it's far more likely that there'll be an In/Out EU referendum than if they win one seat on 5%.
    Why would a Lab-LD Govt do that?
  • Options

BenM said:

john_zims said:

@BenM

We were already in reverse under Labour - see the results. It is obvious that despite the mantra of 'education, education, education', the schools were getting worse and not equipping our children with the skills they need.

If something is failing to such a degree, it is worth trying a different approach. Just because it fails in one place, does not mean the same concepts applied differently will not work. But it is a worrying indication.

School standards definitely improved under Labour - you need to understand how disastrous standards were under the last Tory government (and PISA was not around then, conveniently).

And what people outside the Tory bubble fear from Tory meddling in education is that kind of slump again.

History did not start in 1997.
  • Options

Unlike the Alliance, UKIP are a pressure-group political party with a clear number one objective. That this objective might not be of overriding importance to many voters is beside the point - it's a key component of their identity. Voters might not much notice whether UKIP finish third or fourth but the other parties will. Voters won't much notice whether UKIP have no MPs or ten of them: it probably wouldn't have that much impact on the overall Westminster picture (as opposed to the national vote share required to give them ten MPs, which would *very much* impact the overall Westminster picture, but then that's the point).

If UKIP secure 14% but win no seats, I'd say it's far more likely that there'll be an In/Out EU referendum than if they win one seat on 5%. That, for them, is a very good thing.
    Isn't it the prospect of losing seats that will make the other parties sit up and take notice? Admittedly with just vote share one side or the other will lose seats to the other to the extent that UKIP snaffle their voters disproportionately, but since that party ends up being out of power while the other party ends up being motivated to keep UKIP's USP alive for as long as possible, it's not obvious that they'd be moving the ball forward on their specific objectives.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    BenM said:

BenM said:

john_zims said:

@BenM

School standards definitely improved under Labour - you need to understand how disastrous standards were under the last Tory government (and PISA was not around then, conveniently).

And what people outside the Tory bubble fear from Tory meddling in education is that kind of slump again.

What evidence do you have that school standards improved under Labour, making exams easier to pass does not mean school standards are rising.
  • Options

I cannot see a Lib / Lab or Lab govt offering a referendum - even if Ukip got 20%.

Not a chance.

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    currystar said:

BenM said:

BenM said:

john_zims said:

@BenM

What evidence do you have that school standards improved under Labour, making exams easier to pass does not mean school standards are rising.

Spending on schools went up so standards must have improved... Simple.
  • Options
    BenM said:

BenM said:

john_zims said:

@BenM

Conservative supporters are prone to forget that most of the education changes for which they blame Labour were in fact made by Conservative governments. Grammar schools, corporal punishment and O-levels all went under the Tories, who introduced GCSEs and the national curriculum when they weren't selling off playing fields.
This discussion has been closed.