Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest slot from Stocky: Why it should be made clear that lockd

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest slot from Stocky: Why it should be made clear that lockdown will not extend past 12 weeks

My daughter has started learning about philosophy. She is particularly enamoured with a thought experiment known as The Trolley Problem.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Even 12 weeks is too long for the economy.

6 weeks then schools and non food shops to reopen.

Time for a grown up approach to safeguard the future.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,191
    Third
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,563
    While Trump denigrating others is to be expected I was surprised at this:

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1245114272537096192?s=20

The US Medical establishment really shouldn’t be throwing stones....
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,199
    WFH and video conferencing. What could go wrong?

Zoom's end-to-end encryption isn't actually end-to-end at all. Good thing the PM isn't using it for Cabinet calls. Oh, for f...
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/01/zoom_spotlight/
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Foxy said:

First

The options was never business as usual, vs lockdown. It is absurd to expect people to continue going to pubs, restaurants and the Grand National while people drop like flies around them.

I expect restrictions will be loosened soon, with "non-essential" business resuming work, but for the foreseable future social distancing will be near universal.

We're British. Stand-offishness is in our DNA. How hard should social distancing be?
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,752
    Well argued.

I suspect the fed up at home factor will be a big motivant for change in 4-6 weeks time. People aren't going to lock themselves away for ever.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,888
    It's too early to say how long and which measures should last. Right now we have inadequate testing and insufficient ventilators, no after the fact test, not enough PPE for the NHS frontline, passenger flights arriving into Heathrow from hotspots (Indicating repatriation isn't being done)
    I'd like to see in particular a notice that only British nationals should be allowed on LHR flights.

Till were out of the firefighting stage there can be no return to anything like normality.
    edited April 2020

Well, they won't be needing any of ours when we're through the worst, will they?

(Is Deborah the last of the Great American Birx?)
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,167

So Trump is saying the US has 200,000 ventilators. It's Trump, so that's wrong. But follow that for a moment.

The UK has 8,000 - with plans to go to 68,000. Which would be the equivalent of 340,000 ventilators for the US (5x).

The 68K are planned in the UK on the basis of a effective lockdown etc vs the US situation. By actual medical scientists.

In other words, if carry the maths forward 340,000 would probably be inadequate for the US - in a very short while.

Gulp.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,879
    HYUFD said:

Stats are stats and that was why the table was posted

Humans are humans. Some humans do good works, others do terrible things.

• SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Hostages to fortune are rarely a good idea. But it’s hard to see how the current lockdown can be sustained for too long.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,482

Foxy said:

First

The options was never business as usual, vs lockdown. It is absurd to expect people to continue going to pubs, restaurants and the Grand National while people drop like flies around them.

I expect restrictions will be loosened soon, with "non-essential" business resuming work, but for the foreseable future social distancing will be near universal.

We're British. Stand-offishness is in our DNA. How hard should social distancing be?
    Social awkwardness is perhaps, but shopping now is a different experience. Everyone stands further apart and eyes each other suspiciously.

I was sad to see that Kate Fox, that astute anthropologist of the English, with the best seller "Watching the English*" is now down with COVID19.

*An excellent book, and very funny at times.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,140
    So the story so far is that the British did little or nothing for too long, then ran out of runway and ended up having to do everything, even things that are very disruptive and not very effective.

The sensible thing to do would be what Foxy said, but I wonder if the next step won't be to listen to people like Stocky and reopen everything, then a load of people die and the hospitals start to melt down and the whole cycle repeats.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,167
    On the subject of lock downs.

India seems to be a poster child for the sudden, all-in-one-go approach being a very bad idea. The problem is definitely worse there now as a result.

A tightening spiral of restrictions seems to be the effective pattern - I think every country that has locked down reasonably well has done that. Even if the spiral wasn't intended - e.g. Italy where they had to crack down ever harder on people being stupid as they introduced new rules day by day.
    12-week lockdown. Dunno. So far it has all been a bit of a mess with the government trying to catch up. As @CarlottaVance pointed out on Nighthawks, passengers are still flying in from Covid-19 hotspots (which is basically anywhere) without testing or self-isolation. We lack equipment and capacity, and the social care sector remains an afterthought.

But that is understandable because it is new and unprecedented, except we now know the government three years ago suppressed the report showing what needed to be done. (One reason I'd not be backing Hunt as next PM.)

Codenamed Exercise Cygnus, the three-day dry run for a pandemic carried out in October 2016 tested how NHS hospitals and other services would cope in the event of a major flu outbreak with a similar mortality rate to Covid-19.

The report on Cygnus’s findings were deemed too sensitive by Whitehall officials to be made public but the Sunday Telegraph has established that it found:...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/28/exclusive-ministers-warned-nhs-could-not-cope-pandemic-three/
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,132
    Brilliant header. Even if one doesn't agree with the conclusion, it is a well put together argument and one we should have had as a country before the lockdown.
    edited April 2020

So the story so far is that the British did little or nothing for too long, then ran out of runway and ended up having to do everything, even things that are very disruptive and not very effective.

The sensible thing to do would be what Foxy said, but I wonder if the next step won't be to listen to people like Stocky and reopen everything, then a load of people die and the hospitals start to melt down and the whole cycle repeats.

Wasn't that the first plan? ;)
  • kamskikamski Posts: 4,213
    If it was just "almost all of us will become infected with Covid-19 at some point and that 0.5-1% of those that do will die" it would be easy to conclude it's better to get it over with.
    But what if the death rate is 0.5% with best treatment, and 10% of people need hospitalisation. If everyone gets sick within a short period, not only would millions of people not get treatment because the hospitals would be full, the death rate could be many times higher than 0.5% because of no treatment.
    And that's without even considering the probability of better treatments being found.
    Option 1 was never an option.
    It's more of an argument about which restrictions are most cost-effective, and which should be eased sooner rather than later.

Well argued.

I suspect the fed up at home factor will be a big motivant for change in 4-6 weeks time. People aren't going to lock themselves away for ever.

You mean it isn't the April 1st article?
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

First

Social awkwardness is perhaps, but shopping now is a different experience. Everyone stands further apart and eyes each other suspiciously.

I was sad to see that Kate Fox, that astute anthropologist of the English, with the best seller "Watching the English*" is now down with COVID19.

*An excellent book, and very funny at times.
    Kate Fox also wrote The Racing Tribe, which is around here somewhere.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,582
    I think the header raises a fair pov. I do think being so definitive about when the harm of a lockdown must end is problematic however. But as the goal is to flatten the curve not eliminate the curve the conversation will shift to the broader societal harms more and more once the public health situation is less on a cliff edge.
    A great thread header, Stocky - with the added bonus that these days it is virtually impossible to go off-thread....
    I know - after giving you such a master-class - I should have left the Scottish island puns on the previous thread. But it's this lockdown. It's got me all...

Unst-able.....
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    These are the urgent problems, there is also the small matter that there is no exit strategy and that the economy is wrecked.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,344
    One of my acquaintances has predicted a strong future (at last) for the teledildonics sector.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,833

WFH and video conferencing. What could go wrong?

Zoom's end-to-end encryption isn't actually end-to-end at all. Good thing the PM isn't using it for Cabinet calls. Oh, for f...
    https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/04/01/zoom_spotlight/

They also got caught last week for selling data to Facebook.

Webex is a much better product, they make their money from corporate subscriptions rather than selling your data.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,677
    The fact of lockdown is to a considerable extent an indication of failure. It's an extreme control measure that substitutes for other control measures that weren't put in place or were ineffective. Governments aren't going to admit to a lack of preparedness. The hope has to be that lockdown can get us back to the stage where those other controls can be effective.

If you are talking about no effective controls at all - your article is not clear on this (but you do state you were opposed to lockdown), the carnage will be massive. Grisly death in at least the high tens of thousands and a collapsed healthcare system - we've seen the last in several countries and they went to lockdown anyway.
    Here in Britain, the Debt Management Office has just announced plans to raise £45bn in April alone to help fund the coronavirus response, with debt auctions virtually every working day of the month. We’ve never seen debt issuance on such a scale before, which requires the Bank of England to be constantly acting as buyer of last resort to ensure that it all gets mopped up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/03/31/get-used-debt-higher-inflation/
    I thought distribution of PPE had ramped up to NHS staff?

Social care, on the other hand, is the tragedy yet to unfold.

Foxy said:

First

London is a global city...
  • eekeek Posts: 24,924

So Trump is saying the US has 200,000 ventilators. It's Trump, so that's wrong. But follow that for a moment.

The UK has 8,000 - with plans to go to 68,000. Which would be the equivalent of 340,000 ventilators for the US (5x).

The 68K are planned in the UK on the basis of a effective lockdown etc vs the US situation. By actual medical scientists.

In other words, if carry the maths forward 340,000 would probably be inadequate for the US - in a very short while.

Gulp.
    I wouldn't trust Trump's figures as accurate for working ventilators.

California received 170 from the US stockpile, none of which worked see https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490033-newsom-170-ventilators-sent-from-federal-government-arrived-not-working

That's like me claiming to have 10 working computers at home when 5 of them are old incomplete odds and sods in the garage

Brilliant header. Even if one doesn't agree with the conclusion, it is a well put together argument and one we should have had as a country before the lockdown.

What we urgently need now, with a view to lifting the lockdown, is more investigation into what works and what is unnecessary so that we can transition to a modified, intelligent lockdown. How is the virus actually spread?

Was there a Cheltenham spike? Are we seeing new cases in fast food kitchens, where people are still working close to each other? Are there any clusters that are not due to religious services or 10 Downing Street?

If we knew that, and I'd hope it is being actively researched despite its not being mentioned, then we'd know which parts of the economy and society can be reopened. It should not be the all-or-nothing affair of the header.

Well argued.

If the peak is indeed mid to late april then 4-6 weeks will be critical - people will accept the harshest measures continuing a bit beyond that in order to preserve the gains made as it were, but they'll be bouncing off the walls at the prospect of it going on deep into the summer.

Relaxation will clearly occur at some point and I think we can guarantee the government will either call when wrong, or be perceived to have called it wrong regardless. Because in part it's a judgement call.

My gut says the public clamour to relax things, assuming a peak in april, will not peak until june, as it were. I think people will get very irate through May but thered be sufficient acceptance to maintain things then.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,924
    kle4 said:

I think the header raises a fair pov. I do think being so definitive about when the harm of a lockdown must end is problematic however. But as the goal is to flatten the curve not eliminate the curve the conversation will shift to the broader societal harms more and more once the public health situation is less on a cliff edge.

My concern is more that the economy will be changed at the end of this. Online shopping is going to increase and I suspect a lot of people are going to be saving for a rainy day.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,606
    Foxy said:

First

Good article and good first comment. People are very binary in their thoughts even with something as uncertain as this, it is quite unnerving and illogical.

Some parts of the lockdown sound like they may last a year, including shielding the very vulnerable. But the current lockdown wont last that long so we need to find ways that we can loosen it that alleviate some of the issues.

Just a couple of little suggestions:

Allowing people living on their own to have contact with at least one other person living on their own. They would then still have far less contact than most people but it would make a big difference to their well being. (Yes difficult to police but most people understand it is serious now).

For public transport, get free cards issued to the NHS and key workers during the full lockdown. Then use the last digit of the debit card/oyster to ration who can use it. During rush hour, it might just be key workers and ending in 1. From 10-11 it could be ending in 2 & 3, 11-12 ending in 4&5 one day and then 6-0 go the next day.

MattW said:

Foxy said:

First

London is a global city...
    And its extended lockdown, for weeks beyond the rest of the country, may well be the price it has to pay for that.
    Brainboxes at MIT have come up with a $500 improvised ventilator based on automating operation of Ambu bags, are seeking urgent US regulatory approval and will open source the design. :+1:

https://science.slashdot.org/story/20/03/31/2131221/mit-team-shares-new-500-emergency-ventilator-design-with-the-public
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    People are already irate with the lockdown, especially younger people. The novelty is beginning to wear out.
    https://twitter.com/HeathrowAirport/status/1245248498813014022
    What sort of an answer is this ? It should be "No"
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Brave argument. It’s going to be unmakeable while the bodycount keeps rising fast.

Here in Britain, the Debt Management Office has just announced plans to raise £45bn in April alone to help fund the coronavirus response, with debt auctions virtually every working day of the month. We’ve never seen debt issuance on such a scale before, which requires the Bank of England to be constantly acting as buyer of last resort to ensure that it all gets mopped up.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2020/03/31/get-used-debt-higher-inflation/

Which means the Treasury which is part of the government will owe a shedload of money to the Bank of England which is owned by the government. Which means we can kick that debt into the long grass and worry about it later. Far more urgent right now is to keep the economy moving.
    There's also the small matter of their being no actual plan in his letter.

To an extent there was on the basis that for 1-2 weeks there were calls for full lockdown which were not taken up by government. Seemingly more on the basis of perceived effectiveness of implementation without build up but clearly recognising that shutting everything down is not a solution all in itself without difficulties.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,430
    The problem is not in letting the virus spread per se, though essentially that’s the equivalent of the population playing mass Russian roulette (particularly as we have seen the disease can kill people of all ages). The problem is that this would overwhelm the health service and produce higher deaths.

There are no easy answers here. As I’ve mentioned before, easing restrictions will be hard because people will use their new freedom to go and do all the things they hadn’t been able to for weeks - see friends, families, go on trips, come into contact with lots of people.
    IanB2 said:

Well argued.

You mean it isn't the April 1st article?
    It still remains to be seen which is the better approach and only time will tell. Currently we are all focussing on Covid 19 direct deaths but there will be other deaths or indeed longer lives in areas affected by current actions.

People's current "certainties" are really just hopes and guesses at the moment which ever side of the argument they sit on.

People are already irate with the lockdown, especially younger people. The novelty is beginning to wear out.

It's not just people becoming bored and fed up. The mental health burden of this is going to be enormous.
    People are right the stories seem to be turning against the government today. Mood music is changing. The dumb questions from political pundits notwithstanding.

What we urgently need now, with a view to lifting the lockdown, is more investigation into what works and what is unnecessary so that we can transition to a modified, intelligent lockdown. How is the virus actually spread?

Was there a Cheltenham spike? Are we seeing new cases in fast food kitchens, where people are still working close to each other? Are there any clusters that are not due to religious services or 10 Downing Street?

If we knew that, and I'd hope it is being actively researched despite its not being mentioned, then we'd know which parts of the economy and society can be reopened. It should not be the all-or-nothing affair of the header.
    It can't be known right now because the only tests are hospital tests. Once the antibody test is here a picture can start to be built.up
    eek said:

kle4 said:

My concern is more that the economy will be changed at the end of this. Online shopping is going to increase and I suspect a lot of people are going to be saving for a rainy day.
    Those on good and secure wages are going to be better off as a result of enforced saving.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Hostages to fortune are rarely a good idea. But it’s hard to see how the current lockdown can be sustained for too long.

Someone said on here yesterday that the economy could sustains the lockdown for 3-6 months. It surprised me. Looking at the current numbers situation I'd have said 6 weeks more is very likely essential before any major lifting of restrictions. I'd be opposed to setting an end date now. Despite all the best forecasting from the scientists we cannot be sure enough to give an end date. In Spain for example I'm not convinced there is much of a summer for the yourist zone to expect - probably no foreign visitors and may well be restrictions from inside the country. There are reports today of places in my province [ inland towns only so far] which are being allowed to block roads to any travel from outside. I could see that catching on.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,898
    eek said:

Gulp.

California received 170 from the US stockpile, none of which worked see https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490033-newsom-170-ventilators-sent-from-federal-government-arrived-not-working

That's like me claiming to have 10 working computers at home when 5 of them are old incomplete odds and sods in the garage
    California received 170....... a hundred and seventy? And that's supposed to be a useful contribution? Even they were in working order.
    edited April 2020

Foxy said:

First

Good article and good first comment. People are very binary in their thoughts even with something as uncertain as this, it is quite unnerving and illogical.

Some parts of the lockdown sound like they may last a year, including shielding the very vulnerable. But the current lockdown wont last that long so we need to find ways that we can loosen it that alleviate some of the issues.

Just a couple of little suggestions:

Allowing people living on their own to have contact with at least one other person living on their own. They would then still have far less contact than most people but it would make a big difference to their well being. (Yes difficult to police but most people understand it is serious now).

For public transport, get free cards issued to the NHS and key workers during the full lockdown. Then use the last digit of the debit card/oyster to ration who can use it. During rush hour, it might just be key workers and ending in 1. From 10-11 it could be ending in 2 & 3, 11-12 ending in 4&5 one day and then 6-0 go the next day.

Excellent second suggestion. Indeed, without it, we are going to see considerable and really serious mental health crises.
  • FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

The problem is not in letting the virus spread per se, though essentially that’s the equivalent of the population playing mass Russian roulette (particularly as we have seen the disease can kill people of all ages). The problem is that this would overwhelm the health service and produce higher deaths.

There are no easy answers here. As I’ve mentioned before, easing restrictions will be hard because people will use their new freedom to go and do all the things they hadn’t been able to for weeks - see friends, families, go on trips, come into contact with lots of people.

Yes, this is the whole point. If we'd not clamped down, the mortality rate, not just number of deaths, would be much higher
    edited April 2020
    Good piece.

Have you asked your daughter yet what she would do about a marriage proposal from Edward de Bono's Farmer?

https://debonoconsulting.com/resources/free-article-and-best-practices/lesson-in-lateral-thinking-the-tale-of-two-pebbles/

The problem is like a Kay Burley interview this morning with Robert Jenrick - an attempt to bounce a victim into simplistic answers by asking simplistic questions then making bored noises 3 seconds later.

To channel Tone, I do not accept the premise of your question.
    felix said:

Someone said on here yesterday that the economy could sustains the lockdown for 3-6 months. It surprised me. Looking at the current numbers situation I'd have said 6 weeks more is very likely essential before any major lifting of restrictions. I'd be opposed to setting an end date now. Despite all the best forecasting from the scientists we cannot be sure enough to give an end date. In Spain for example I'm not convinced there is much of a summer for the yourist zone to expect - probably no foreign visitors and may well be restrictions from inside the country. There are reports today of places in my province [ inland towns only so far] which are being allowed to block roads to any travel from outside. I could see that catching on.
    6 months keeps getting mentioned, but it is bizarre, are we really going to start lifting restrictions just ahead of the flu season? It is either approx 3 months or approx 12 months (barring a vaccine after 6 months which is unlikely).
    kle4 said:

People are right the stories seem to be turning against the government today. Mood music is changing. The dumb questions from political pundits notwithstanding.

The dumb political pundits are fuelling the fire with their mindless opposition to whatever the government are trying to achieve. If the lockdown lasts until the summer, there's going to be serious civil order issues.

The major news organisations need to quarantine all the Lobby hacks and 'opinion' writers, and replace them with medical and science experts.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,312
    I'm an Choice 2 man if pushed, but that's not actually the choice. "Freedom" is a catch-all with multiple meanings, and not all are equally important. Nobody is ever entirely free and we can choose to limit freedoms without thereby turning into China. The right to freedom of expression has very little to do with the right to crowd into a pub at the risk of death to everyone who knows anyone in the pub.

Moreover, I don't think most people are getting more and more fed up - on the contrary, the people I'm in touch with are getting used to it and less fed up than in the first couple of days.

But Stocky is right that we need a clear idea of the strategy. Not with exact dates, since we can see estimates are constantly changing. But it would be helpful to know, say, that the plan is to allow more freedom of movement and restart a wider range of businesses in a few months, as soon as there is enough testing equipment to test everyone going back to work.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Birx is one the two people who have got Trump stopping talking about it just being the flue and it all going away by wishing hard and actually talking about death and realistic outcomes.

The price is Trump ego stroking which involves pointless verbal attacks on other countries like this.

Brave argument. It’s going to be unmakeable while the bodycount keeps rising fast.

It's all in the timing, when people want reasons to get back to work and go down the pub the counter arguments will suddenly gain prominence.
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,019
    I disagree.

I think that the government have now established that stopping everything, at the cost of 100s of £billions is a reasonable policy option to prevent hospital capacity being overwhelmed. This means that they absolutely have to achieve the objective of keeping infection levels within NHS capacity. They cannot now let the NHS be overwhelmed when they've already trashed the economy to avoid that outcome.

They will be hoping, as per Casino Royale's argument last night, that by the time of infection wave 2, the increased number of ventilators, better tests, more tests, and other preparations, will mean that infection wave 2 can be managed differently, but if the data suggests they need to slam on the brakes with a full lockdown to avoid overwhelming the NHS then it will certainly happen.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    American betting news, as states move towards all mail elections they are still keeping in restrictions on getting a mail in ballot. The scope for disenfranchisement is huge.

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/1245132622566699016?s=19
    Sandpit said:

If you bothered to read it, you'd more likely come back and say the government is already doing these things or planning to do them, or to do something close enough as to make no real difference. Corbyn is calling for more testing and more PPE, for instance, not the invasion of Mars.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,352
    The lockdown buys us time, pure and simple. It reduces immediate deaths and health service strain while we try and do a number of things:
    - increase care capacity - staff, ventilators, new temporary hospitals
    - increase testing capacity
    - get a better understanding about mortality and hospitalisation rates

It obviously can't go on forever, but the increased capacity will make us better equipped to cope with a second wave, possibly with less severe lockdown and the increased knowledge will put us in a better position to balance the cost of lockdown against better understood numbers of lives that can be saved.

There are, as I see it, two main approaches:
    - try and maintain lockdown until new cases are virtually eliminated, then mostly lift restrictions and go hard on a second containment phase with more testing, better tracking of individuals' movements
    - gradually ease lockdown once new cases are well in decline and try and find a balance that gives a manageable (linear and not too high - i.e. balanced against those cases concluding) rate of new cases, something that the expanded health service capacity can cope with long term

As it stands at present, we are not in a position to do the first approach (far too many current cases) and don't know enough to calibrate the second approach.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Which it will for some time yet. I get people's impatience - for most it's the first time in their lives to cope with something like this - but it is what it is.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,699

A great thread header, Stocky - with the added bonus that these days it is virtually impossible to go off-thread....

Thanks MarqueeMark - now I can`t resist the temptation to go off-topic.

You a mother? (I mean a moth enthusist obviously.) You mentioned moth traps - I`m assuming you are catching them, not zapping them.

I`d like to do a survey of our village`s moths - do you know whether moth traps can be hired? If not, which model would you recommend? I attended a short naturalist course a few years ago and the moth expert and author, Paul Waring, got me interested.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,352
    edited April 2020

I know - after giving you such a master-class - I should have left the Scottish island puns on the previous thread. But it's this lockdown. It's got me all...

Unst-able.....

I'm guessing it's probably been done already by someone... if so I'm going to have Eigg on my face

(and yep, i know it doesn't really sound that much like egg)
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    The header is very well-argued, but it omits other information coming in.
    For example, at the moment, the death rate in Sweden (mitigation with no lockdown) is two-and-a-half times that in Norway (lockdown). The death toll in the US is climbing faster than anywhere else.

By twelve weeks from now, if the mitigation strategies in places like Sweden and the US look bad in terms of death tolls, they will either have swerved into lockdown themselves (making the option of reversing the strategy look very dangerous) or they'll stand as dreadful warnings to the cost of letting it fall off. In short, the track with the people on it would look as though a mob is on there now.

Of course, IF they get away with it, the calls would increase to relax matters. But that's an if.

And we may have experience of countries further in (Italy, Spain, France) having released restrictions to a degree by then and we can see what happens with those.

To be honest, it is to be expected that right now, the calls to lift restrictions in the UK would be at their highest. We're just coming to terms with the effects of the restrictions with no agreed end date in sight - and the death toll keeps rising. It's not intuitive to account for the lag:

- If it takes an average of 7 days to show symptoms and maybe an average of 5-20 days to get from symptoms to death, then those dying yesterday were infected between 4th March-19th March. That is - before the lockdown at the latest, back to before almost anyone was doing anything to protect themselves (the warning to avoid pubs and restaurants went out on the 16th and we were officially in a mitigation strategy at that point).

- The effects of the lockdown should start to be perceived from the 5th of April. By the 19th of April, we should be definitely looking at starting to plateua if the lockdown is working.

(Then again, though, there will be infections even during the lockdown, and the proportion of the population already infected by that point as a source of infection will be far far higher than it was in early March. The shape of the curve at that point is yet to be seen - although it will be able to be compared to the shape of the curve in the US, for example)
    Another suggestion worth considering is scheduled lockdowns for the autumn and winter. Have one Oct 1-20 and a Xmas one Dec 17-Jan5 but have few restrictions beyond that.

People and businesses can then easily plan for those.

Sandpit said:

If you bothered to read it, you'd more likely come back and say the government is already doing these things or planning to do them, or to do something close enough as to make no real difference. Corbyn is calling for more testing and more PPE, for instance, not the invasion of Mars.
    Of course he's calling for more testing and more PPE. So are the government, who are moving mountains to make it happen.

Hopefully Starmer will take a more pragmatic and collaborative approach.
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Sandpit said:

Looking at the state of his letter perhaps Corbyn should have bothered to read it first.

Sure, but once it is not rising in say 3-4 weeks the arguments will become intense. It'll still likely be high enough to forestall lifting things for some time beyond that, but the pressure will be on.

What happens with those that locked down before us will be key I expect. Except China - either the figures there arent trustworthy or they are but our path has been different regardless.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,236
    eek said:

Gulp.

There are a huge number of ventilators in US veteran hospitals, though.
  • I think as we see a sharp increase in deaths over the coming weeks , including seemingly fit, healthy young people, then the majority of the public will pipe down about the hardship of dossing around the house in their jamas for a few more weeks.
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

The dumb political pundits are fuelling the fire with their mindless opposition to whatever the government are trying to achieve. If the lockdown lasts until the summer, there's going to be serious civil order issues.

The major news organisations need to quarantine all the Lobby hacks and 'opinion' writers, and replace them with medical and science experts.
    Perhaps, but my sense was more negative feeling was breaking through irrespective of the null to unhelpful contributions of the lobby and that good will toward government is shifting. The lobby hasn't had any good will from the start.
    kle4 said:

Well argued.

If the peak is indeed mid to late april then 4-6 weeks will be critical - people will accept the harshest measures continuing a bit beyond that in order to preserve the gains made as it were, but they'll be bouncing off the walls at the prospect of it going on deep into the summer.

Relaxation will clearly occur at some point and I think we can guarantee the government will either call when wrong, or be perceived to have called it wrong regardless. Because in part it's a judgement call.

My gut says the public clamour to relax things, assuming a peak in april, will not peak until june, as it were. I think people will get very irate through May but thered be sufficient acceptance to maintain things then.
    It was reported this morning that over 800k small businesses are likely to be insolvent by the end of April...

Another suggestion worth considering is scheduled lockdowns for the autumn and winter. Have one Oct 1-20 and a Xmas one Dec 17-Jan5 but have few restrictions beyond that.

Given the NHS is apparently in crisis every winter I'm surprised lockdown then has never been suggested before
  • JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Great, almost brave thread.

But politicians are in charge, and they will do what the people shout loudest for. this will mean the lever (almost) all the way.

People dying on our screens vs generic hard to quantify economic hardship can only go one way, the fact that there is a good logical argument against it notwithstanding.

Alive but a bit poorer vs dead. That is how is will be portrayed.

Alistair said:

American betting news, as states move towards all mail elections they are still keeping in restrictions on getting a mail in ballot. The scope for disenfranchisement is huge.

That's crazy. How would they justify not providing postal votes to all in that situation?
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,180
    Excellent post. This point of view really needs putting.

I tend to agree. And as for 0.5% of the population inevitably getting it? Not so (Diamond Princess).

Although NHS capacity is of course an issue.
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    “More testing “ is the Apple pie of the lockdown - of course we want more.

Who to test, how often and what to do with the results is something Corbyn etc never tackle.

Also has anyone done an audit of he 8k daily tests - are they being used wisely ?
    edited April 2020
    Alistair said:

Not to mention the fact that the US postal service is likely to be bust well before November...
    (& denied funding in the stimulus package.)
    Floater said:

Sandpit said:

Looking at the state of his letter perhaps Corbyn should have bothered to read it first.
    Perhaps, and perhaps on a more serious matter Boris should have checked the screenshot before he posted the Zoom meeting number and some reasonable clues to Ministers' online identities, or do we think Michael Gove uses a different number for each service he uses?

• BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    Sandel is on Radio 4 at 9am on the ethics of responding to this pandemic.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Well, the young people are going to have to learn that the freedoms they take for granted have been hard won in the past - and will need to be hard won again. God knows how their tiny attention spans would have coped with the five year lockdown of WW2 that several of my nearest neighbours endured. The same neighbours that would most likely have fifty, sixty year marriages destroyed as one or other of them was taken if the virus ran riot.

The Govt. does need to be able to dangle a carrot though. A back on form Boris saying if you are all good boys and girls, social distance, stop being dickheads with your buffets and BBQs, then by 1st June, x y and z will be permitted again.

But only if.

And if things are really well ahead of the curve, the Govt. can make itself hugley popular by bringing x or y or z out of the deep freeze a week or two earlier.
    Tell me more about this “social distancing” that happened during ww2?
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,927
    An absolutely essential thread header, Stocky, and one I completely agree with. Well done for writing it and for PB to publish it, given that these are febrile times.

Without going too far into the details, my work gives me access to some absolutely terrifying economic data that makes me believe the economic damage of the lockdown will be an order of magnitude greater than the damage caused by death to the virus.

What is interesting is that the government must surely have their hands on a much broader dataset and be fully aware of the storm that is coming. Despite this, they have chosen to "pull the lever" as you say. I think this largely down to human psychology. The instinct to preserve life, whether our own or of others, is strong and overrides economic analysis.

In addition to the economic cost there is also the cost in terms of loss of freedom (I fear we are normalising many aspects of the police state) as well as the psychological cost borne largely by the most vulnerable in society - those in poor accomodation, those trapped with abusive partners, those with mental conditions made worse by this, the suicides that will be caused etc.

My personal plan would be to end the lockdown by May at the latest and to make that clear now. To continue enforcing social distancing, banning large gatherings (sorry football fans) and keeping pubs closed. To make masks by the million and make wearing them in public a social norm. To recommend the quarantining of the elderly and the vulnerable and to offer them the necessary support.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I fear our government has taken the emotional rather than rational choice because to do otherwise is to be labelled a "career psychopath" at best, a butcher at worse.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,962
    Nigelb said:

It was reported this morning that over 800k small businesses are likely to be insolvent by the end of April...

The Snake's 4th budget will save them.

I think as we see a sharp increase in deaths over the coming weeks , including seemingly fit, healthy young people, then the majority of the public will pipe down about the hardship of dossing around the house in their jamas for a few more weeks.

Yes but what about when we seem on the downward curve? At what number of daily deaths or new cases will the call be made?
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,019

I think as we see a sharp increase in deaths over the coming weeks , including seemingly fit, healthy young people, then the majority of the public will pipe down about the hardship of dossing around the house in their jamas for a few more weeks.

Maybe, but public opinion is a strange thing. I could see the argument "lockdown isn't working so why bother?" gaining some traction. I expect fear to win out over that though.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,140

Perhaps, and perhaps on a more serious matter Boris should have checked the screenshot before he posted the Zoom meeting number and some reasonable clues to Ministers' online identities, or do we think Michael Gove uses a different number for each service he uses?

There are a lot of people in the cabinet, it must be hard to keep track of all of them. Try dialing into the next one and making a few sensible, supportive comments from the point of view of the Ministry for Social Affairs, play it right and you'll get an official job next time there's a reshuffle.
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

Perhaps, but my sense was more negative feeling was breaking through irrespective of the null to unhelpful contributions of the lobby and that good will toward government is shifting. The lobby hasn't had any good will from the start.
    I think there's a large amount of cause and effect in there. Everyone's at home with the TV on, being fed a daily diet of mindless opposition.

I'm not saying the news channels should be turned over to the Ministry of Information, but there needs to be *much* more emphasis on reporting facts and official advice, rather than opinion and contrary oppositionism. Replacing Kay Burley with someone, anyone else, would be a good start.
    kyf_100 said:

An absolutely essential thread header, Stocky, and one I completely agree with. Well done for writing it and for PB to publish it, given that these are febrile times.

Without going too far into the details, my work gives me access to some absolutely terrifying economic data that makes me believe the economic damage of the lockdown will be an order of magnitude greater than the damage caused by death to the virus.

What is interesting is that the government must surely have their hands on a much broader dataset and be fully aware of the storm that is coming. Despite this, they have chosen to "pull the lever" as you say. I think this largely down to human psychology. The instinct to preserve life, whether our own or of others, is strong and overrides economic analysis.

In addition to the economic cost there is also the cost in terms of loss of freedom (I fear we are normalising many aspects of the police state) as well as the psychological cost borne largely by the most vulnerable in society - those in poor accomodation, those trapped with abusive partners, those with mental conditions made worse by this, the suicides that will be caused etc.

My personal plan would be to end the lockdown by May at the latest and to make that clear now. To continue enforcing social distancing, banning large gatherings (sorry football fans) and keeping pubs closed. To make masks by the million and make wearing them in public a social norm. To recommend the quarantining of the elderly and the vulnerable and to offer them the necessary support.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I fear our government has taken the emotional rather than rational choice because to do otherwise is to be labelled a "career psychopath" at best, a butcher at worse.

There is that.
    And I'd add the universal political desire to buy time and hope something will turn up.

The trolley problem is a hard one, and usually you can say 'but that just doesn't happen in the real world'...
  • An interesting header! Amongst other things this is the American Beauty test of western civilisation. We go to work to earn money to buy stuff. We all want a nice house and a nice car or two and nice furniture to sit on a big TV and loads of books / films / toys / stuff. When we aren't buying this stuff we are looking at ideas for the next stuff.

Then a Crisis breaks. People are being asked to enjoy the fruits of their labours. Stay in their home. With their stuff. And we're all going fucking crazy. Today is day 3 of week 2 - that glorious Saturday when we all* went for one last yomp in the countryside seems like an eternity ago.

What is clear to me is that there is a lot of fear out there about the virus. Many of the people in the 5 supermarkets I visited yesterday visibly didn't want to be there or near people. Whats also clear is the fear of the End of Civilisation. People fear for their jobs or for how they will pay their bills or for whether their business will still exist out the other side of this. The government have announced a load of schemes which Mean Well but have been poorly conceived from an implementation point of view and minimally resourced with all of the cuts to DWP and HMRC staff numbers hitting home.

In short we have two major opposing waves about to hit each other. Control of the virus. And loss of control of society. As the weeks go on with no end date to focus on the frayed nerves of people bored of their stuff and annoyed with their children/partners this is going to get bad and quickly.

Our society is essentially a confidence trick. Work. Consume. Reproduce. Pay taxes. Stress test why people work and consume and reproduce and all kinds of interesting things will happen, and if you are a government these are not good things. Death is a normal part of society. Mass breakdown is not. Hated as apparently he is, I can see what Cummings was arguing for...
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Isn't that a function of how expensive and inefficient the US system is compared to ours which is built around efficiency?

US system is out of reach for many people and ludicrously expensive but as a result has a lot of redundancy in it which ours doesn't.
    kle4 said:

Given the NHS is apparently in crisis every winter I'm surprised lockdown then has never been suggested before
    The NHS is in crisis most winters but rather than address this problem, HMG's response is to have its astroturfers accuse Labour of crying wolf and the BMA of shroud-waving. If capacity had been expanded to handle winter peaks then we'd not be in the state we are now.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,102
    Really good thread header. I agree that we cannot keep this up very long. This is a rich country but we are basically living on our savings and they are unequally distributed. There comes a point, as Trump of all people pointed out, when the cure is worse than the disease.

The trouble that the government had and still has in getting its incredibly simplistic messages across is a major challenge for the next step. If the great British public can't quite get their heads around, Stay at home, protect the NHS, save lives" how do we explain anything more complicated?

But the reality is increasingly that if coffee shops, pubs and restaurants don't open in less than 12 weeks the vast majority will never open again despite open handed government support. We have to start earning money.

The worldmeter figures are extremely crude but according to them we have all of 135 people recovered, the worst ratio to deaths in the world. This is plainly rubbish. Tens of thousands, probably hundreds of thousands, have now had this virus and are immune. We urgently need to find out which thousands so they and their compatriots who get infected and recover can go back to work. In short we need antigen tests and we need them now. This is the key to the next stage. Remember when people poured scorn on herd immunity? Short of a vaccine it is the only way out of this.

Well, the young people are going to have to learn that the freedoms they take for granted have been hard won in the past - and will need to be hard won again. God knows how their tiny attention spans would have coped with the five year lockdown of WW2 that several of my nearest neighbours endured. The same neighbours that would most likely have fifty, sixty year marriages destroyed as one or other of them was taken if the virus ran riot.

The Govt. does need to be able to dangle a carrot though. A back on form Boris saying if you are all good boys and girls, social distance, stop being dickheads with your buffets and BBQs, then by 1st June, x y and z will be permitted again.

But only if.

And if things are really well ahead of the curve, the Govt. can make itself hugley popular by bringing x or y or z out of the deep freeze a week or two earlier.
    Tell me more about this “social distancing” that happened during ww2?
    Everyone crammed into air raid shelters every evening.
This discussion has been closed.