Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Guest slot from Stocky: Why it should be made clear that lockd

Comments

• Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441

ABZ said:

563 new Covid-19 deaths in the UK.

Erk. It was expected it would rise further but what a figure to hear. So sad.
    Yes - not happy news. But I'm afraid we will have a week to a fortnight of deaths between 500-1500 per day unfortunately. Even assuming new cases peak around the weekend / early next week there will be a lag phase in terms of fatalities.
    If we hit 1500 per day presumably 20k will be too low overall?
    Depends on where we stabilise in terms of deaths per day. Could be that this is a one off and it levels off. Need more data to predict well, but ~20K is, sadly, probably about right.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,877
    Christ todays numbers look bad.

An extra 4324 cases and 563 extra deaths.

I dont get the experts cautious optimism. is it possible our new numbers show crossover with Italy?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    TGOHF666 said:

Not seeing that on other news media but that's worse than Italy did at an equivalent point. Yikes.
    A 5-7 day rolling average may be more insightful.
    A geometric average
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,478
    edited April 2020

Pulpstar said:

Well that's not good is it.
    It's going to be like this for a few weeks, I don't think the impact of the lockdown will be seen for another fortnight.
    This is me being bad with statistics and counting time. My understanding is that symptoms usually start to show on day 5 (but can be as long as day 14). There’s then usually a 2 or 3 day or so period where people feel pretty ropey and then comes the crunch point - they either start getting better or get severely ill. From that point (and sorry to be blunt), do we have any data suggesting how long is it until that person either recovers or dies?

I am just trying to assess the impact of the lockdown on timings and when we can hope to, or expect to see, a positive development.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

TGOHF666 said:
    Peston seems to treat "chemical companies" like people were treating "manufacturers" last week... "surely they are all basically the same"...

I.e. any "manufacturer" could surely turn their hand to making ventilators instead in an afternoon, and by the same token (so the spectacularly under-informed journalistic elite think) chemical companies can surely just make any chemical they feel like it at the drop of a hat.

Peston is, i'm sorry to say, very often simply wrong

It's. Not. That. Simple.
    Peston is a Brownite hack who got a break from being close to Brown and reporting a story someone close to Brown leaked to him.

He's got no discernible talent.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

10 mins until the 2pm tweet from the DoH to let us know the figures are delayed.

They probably won't, but I hope people try to steer away from making forecasts of civilizational collapse/it'll all be over by Easter on the basis of a single day's data.
    Could break the kneejerk barrier of 2k dead today.
    How many deaths until you take this seriously?

Weren't you talking about 17 per day a few weeks ago?
    It was a mistake to believe the Chinese accounts of fatalities.
    I see blame it on China is going to be the new catch all excuse.
    Are those pesky facts being racist again? :neutral:
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,451

I dont get the experts cautious optimism. is it possible our new numbers show crossover with Italy?

From what the CMO said a day or 2 ago, they are looking at hospital admissions as the indicator.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

Pulpstar said:

It's going to be like this for a few weeks, I don't think the impact of the lockdown will be seen for another fortnight.
    This is me being bad with statistics and counting time. My understanding is that symptoms usually start to show on day 5 (but can be as long as day 14). There’s then usually a 2 or 3 day or so period where people feel pretty ropey and then comes the crunch point - they either start getting better or get severely ill. From that point (and sorry to be blunt), do we have any data suggesting how long is it until that person either recovers or dies?

I am just trying to assess the impact of the lockdown on timings and when we can hope to, or expect to see, a positive development.
    I saw somewhere average date of death is day 20. Presumably from contraction.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779
    If 2000 NHS staff have been tested thats 1.3% of the total tested.

If 1.2 million NHS workers in England thats 2.1% of the population.

So NHS workers almost half LESS likely to be tested than a non NHS worker? Surely that cant be right?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Pulpstar said:

I saw somewhere average date of death is day 20. Presumably from contraction.
    Thanks. So we would hope (I am keeping everything crossed) that we would start to see an effect from the middle of next week on that basis. I sincerely hope so.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

10 mins until the 2pm tweet from the DoH to let us know the figures are delayed.

They probably won't, but I hope people try to steer away from making forecasts of civilizational collapse/it'll all be over by Easter on the basis of a single day's data.

I can't think of any context in which somebody who's not a racist would say this.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760

FF43 said:

Mr. Pulpstar, good to hear.

Mr. 43, Peston screwing up is a Peston problem.

It is not all certain that Peston is screwing up. We have to drill down to find out and u can't be bothered doing that. However Gove definitely is screwing up the government's communication on CV and should be taken off that role.

As an aside in my work from time to time we get into situations where things have gone wrong and we're on the hook. I am happy to go to customers and say, this is the situation, this is what we are doing about it and this what you can now expect and when, we will keep you updated on progress. They may not be happy about the situation but above all they are relieved their issue is being dealt with.
    Gove said there was a shortage of reagents and swabs, which was limiting testing
    Peston went and found there was no shortage of chemical ingredients for reagents.
    Peston claimed that this meant there was no shortage of reagents.
    Guernsey Medical Director (who has set up testing on island in a couple of weeks) said there is a global shortage of reagents.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Eagles, you're entirely right and we (and especially the media, if they can pause to think) need to remember that.
  • Options

FF43 said:

isam said:

Will we get apologies from anyone who posted that ‘Gove lied’?

Come on, you know who you are...

The point is not so much that Gove lied. He's deflecting. So there's a shortage of chemicals? As there is, of lots of things. You deal with it. And if that really is the root cause of the lack of testing, which is far from certain, the government can apparently get what they need rather than offer up excuses.

What happened to Gove's explanation from the day before that the lack of testing is all the fault of Chinese lies?

The government would advised to keep Gove away from the press briefings. He's causing massive confusion, which is the last thing it needs right now.
    The lack of testing was not blamed on the Chinese. I don't think it is Gove who is deflecting.

Peston didn't know that laboratory reagents aren't the raw chemicals. So he assumed that since the suppler of raw chemicals say there is no issue. So he missed the following

raw materials -> processing -> processing .... -> reagents

This is why such reporting needs to be given to people who are scientifically literate.

Question 1 - Specifically what is the shortage of - not just "reagent", but the specifics. Those long horrible names....
    Question 2 - What is it made from? Who makes it?
    Question 3 - Who makes the components? Do they have components? Who makes those?
    Not to mention - how much leadtime is there before they can start processing an order. Then how long it will take to process the order.

I wonder if the alleged short leadtime on the better test versus ordering the reagents meant they short-sightedly didn't order the reagents as the better test would be ready by then...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,609

So NHS workers almost half LESS likely to be tested than a non NHS worker? Surely that cant be right?
    Nowhere near all NHS staff are on the front line and the vast majority of those tests will have been for front line staff.
  • Options

I think it was clear that the experts were trying to dampen down expectations of the figures stabilising in the last few days at the presser yesterday. I suspected then that they knew we hadn’t hit the spike.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    Between 1.9 and 3.8 million UK infections by my rule of thumb.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

Non NHS workers being tested at the moment are sick.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,011

The optimism is based upon the fact that Italy has got to the other side. Their total number of active cases is going to start dropping in the next 5-6 days. Spain, one would hope, will only be a couple of days behind.

Pretty much everywhere new cases peak 10-14 days after lockdown (with exact numbers also being a function of how many tests took place). You would expect us, therefore, to see new cases rising for a week or so. We might even get to a daily "new cases" number as high as 6-8,000.

However, it will then plateau and then fall off.

And then the question will become how can we relax some restrictions?
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

There are two groups not blaming the Chinese govt at present - the Chinese government and Zoomer Nats blaming Westmonster.
  • Options
    matthiasfromhamburgmatthiasfromhamburg Posts: 957
    edited April 2020
    eristdoof said:

HYUFD said:

stodge said:

Also, after lockdown, if a bunch of hotels at a tourist hotspot have failed... well, hey, the beaches there will still be just as good, the business case for starting new hotels in the same spot is just as good. If a business is fundamentally good, it should be reborn from the ashes- perhaps under a different name and with a different owner, but so what?

Can't say the same about the people who die.

This is the economic Darwinist argument and it recognises that many businesses fail even when times are good because they are poorly run or a competitor comes along doing it better and cheaper or a better widget is designed elsewhere.

As we've seen the supermarkets took on thousands of extra staff and were able to recruit from a pool of those laid off by other employers. Sunak seems anxious to preserve, conserve and protect but capitalism is and always been brutal and adversarial.

As we saw with manufacturing industry in the UK, nothing has a right to exist in perpetuity. We saw manufacturing wither and die and the response was to allow new businesses to emerge - it wasn't pretty, indeed it was painful but throughout history out of such disasters new opportunities have arisen.

Scandinavia, Germany, Netherlands and Canada have all steered very far clear of both economic and social darwinism over the last forty years. All are better placed to withstand the crisis than the UK as a result.
    Germany has the same top income tax rate as the UK, the UK has the most statist healthcare system of all of those countries and Canada has contributions based only unemployment benefit unlike the UK
    That is an apples and Bratwurst comparison. Germany's health system and some other things are not financed by tax at all.
    When people try to compare the German and the British system they almost exclusively focus on the funding side. The UK's taxfunded system vs. the insurance based system we have.
    I'm not sure if that approach captures the essence of the issue. The GKV system with its very high degree of uniform regulation is in its effects not much different from the NHS, the share of private insurance is small and utilises basically the same health care providers.

The bigger difference might be on the provider side. The reforms of the 90's and early 00's had lead to a substantial opening to private health care enterprise (transformation of Stadt-, Kreis-, and Landeskrankenhäuser into public/private cooperations, or entirely private institutions), giving rise to Fresenius et al.
    Some people make the (somewhat plausible) argument that it was the prevalence of private stakeholders' interests in this sector that served as a bulwark against further cuts, maintaining a comparatively generous level of health care provision, in contrast to eg. the UK where the public part of the sector was subject to much more cost cutting in the name of "cutting the slack".
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    MaxPB said:

Nowhere near all NHS staff are on the front line and the vast majority of those tests will have been for front line staff.
    Yes but nearly all NHS staff are going to be working and in more contact than those of us who are self isolating. Ignoring the front line, I dont understand why back office NHS staff would be less likely to be tested than non NHS staff.

My initial assumption is that the 2k figure was plucked out of the air as they thought it sounded significant and they dont know how many of the tests are for NHS staff.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441

I think the optimism is more that new infections are slowing. They would have a prediction of what will happen under various scenarios in terms of new cases going into the hospitals. They have that data in real time - it's obviously something we don't see.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine that their predictions are telling them that new infections are consistent with a model where they are substantially slowing and can then use that to establish how well the NHS will cope.

Deaths, sadly, are a real lagging indicator. But looking at Italy or Spain, I'd expect that the total number of deaths we see per day between Thursday and Sunday will be, give or take, the number of daily deaths we should expect for a couple of weeks.
  • Options

From what the CMO said a day or 2 ago, they are looking at hospital admissions as the indicator.
    They were 10,800 yesterday werent they?

BTW am i right that it looks like testing in past 24hrs was circa 13k ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,664
    I've been having a look at the full paper I posted the abstract from, around the start of this thread, about a rapid acceleration of vaccine clinical trials.
    https://academic.oup.com/jid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/infdis/jiaa152/5814216

It is more radically unethical (in normal circumstances) than I originally understood, and is a true real world example of the trolley scenario - but with volunteers...

....Multiple measures would be put in place to ensure that prior to consenting, potential participants fully comprehend the unusual risks involved in the study.
    After the controlled human challenge model had been set up, vaccines could be evaluated. Volunteers who had not been previously infected would be randomized to receive either the candidate vaccine(s) under investigation, or placebo. After an interval to permit a full immune response to the vaccine, a controlled exposure to SARS-CoV-2 would be administered. Appropriate vaccine schedules (e.g. dose, number of doses) will have been determined, to the extent possible, in the conventional Phase 1/2 immunogenicity and safety studies that preceded the challenge study.
    Following the challenge, the participants would be carefully followed, to monitor whether those
    vaccinated had a different response to viral challenge. Because the challenge studies would be relatively small and some volunteers might show few clinical symptoms, there would need to be careful consideration of the choice of the primary endpoint, through discussions with regulatory authorities. Possibilities would include viral load, measured at least daily (e.g. in throat swabs), and then cumulated over the course of the infection (as has been done in influenza challenge studies)[8], and time to first clinical symptoms. For some vaccines, the endpoint might be the proportion infected. Throughout the study, intense immunological monitoring would seek any correlates of vaccine effect. The required size of such studies would depend upon the endpoints chosen, but they might require of the order of 100 volunteers.
    Any volunteers in whom infection was confirmed would receive excellent care for COVID-19, including priority for any scarce life-saving resources, in state-of-the-art facilities. Throughout the trial and until infectiousness were ruled out, all participants would remain isolated in a secure and comfortable setting, e.g. in converted from those used for influenza challenge studies....

Should this be contemplated ?

Downside, 100 subjects unnecessarily and deliberately infected... upside, the saving of perhaps six months on trialling a vaccine.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'm pretty sure they are only testing NHS workers with symptoms/sick - that is what the test detects - who is sick at that point in time with COVID19

If they are recovered, it won't show anything.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Do NHS workers have an exemption from being sick?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

and no need to test non patient facing staff your 1.2m is circa 800k on tht basis from memory
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,708
    Afternoon. Thanks to Stocky for the thought-provoking header.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    It's on getting to these sort of numbers that Italy and Spain shot up within a few days. The weekend should tell us a little bit more about how much more we might have contained this, in comparison (Spain about a week ago, Italy about two weeks ago). Looking at yesterday's trajectory France looks to have made that same jump,so they'll be hoping their figures stabilise over the weekend.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311
    The 44.15% positive test rate today is impressive. I wonder how much higher it will go?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

and no need to test non patient facing staff your 1.2m is circa 800k on tht basis from memory
    You cant ignore the non patient facing staff, they are still more at risk than those who are self isolating, so should be showing up in the stats at least the same proportion as accountants, lorry drivers or teachers.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    edited April 2020

Pulpstar said:

I'm pretty sure they are only testing NHS workers with symptoms/sick - that is what the test detects - who is sick at that point in time with COVID19

If they are recovered, it won't show anything.
    According the to the Head of the English Trusts this afternoon they are also trying to test any of their staff who are off because a family member is in isolation. He said that only about 15% of the tests they have done on staff so far - which are tests done on those who are currently off - have had positive returns.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,973
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

isam said:

Will we get apologies from anyone who posted that ‘Gove lied’?

Come on, you know who you are...

The point is not so much that Gove lied. He's deflecting. So there's a shortage of chemicals? As there is, of lots of things. You deal with it. And if that really is the root cause of the lack of testing, which is far from certain, the government can apparently get what they need rather than offer up excuses.

What happened to Gove's explanation from the day before that the lack of testing is all the fault of Chinese lies?

The government would advised to keep Gove away from the press briefings. He's causing massive confusion, which is the last thing it needs right now.
    The lack of testing was not blamed on the Chinese. I don't think it is Gove who is deflecting.

Peston didn't know that laboratory reagents aren't the raw chemicals. So he assumed that since the suppler of raw chemicals say there is no issue. So he missed the following

raw materials -> processing -> processing .... -> reagents

This is why such reporting needs to be given to people who are scientifically literate.

Question 1 - Specifically what is the shortage of - not just "reagent", but the specifics. Those long horrible names....
    Question 2 - What is it made from? Who makes it?
    Question 3 - Who makes the components? Do they have components? Who makes those?
    Get Gove off those press briefings is my sincere advice to the government. He's not doing your communication any good.
    He was very clear where the supply bottleneck was. It's not his fault Peston is an idiot.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    On the controlling of weight and exercise front:

I've found that using most of your previous commuting time for exercise helps a lot. I used to commute 75 minutes each way. Now I spend an extra half hour in bed and 45 minutes on exercise in the mornings, and then 45 minutes on exercise in the evenings after work and then I'm "home" half an hour early.

It helps keeps work detached from home life and not spilling over (which is very easy), and the amount of exercise really helps.

On the food front - keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat during the day. This provides a "nudge" to you (it won't work for some people), but you subconsciously want to keep it short.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    TimeOut Australia reckons the Australian lock down (very similar to UK) could last for 6 months:

https://www.timeout.com/sydney/news/sydneys-covid-19-shutdown-your-questions-answered-033020
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,170
    edited April 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

You blaming the Croatians ? How many wet markets do they have ?
    I guess it's psychologically necessary for you to put blame for your fat headed optimism on someone other than yourself.

'I only thought the schools should go back after Easter because I naively believed the Chinese figures, and everyone knows that they're liars.'
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 3,899
    edited April 2020
    Things are obviously getting bad here in Birmingham. Our local hospital is being cleared to concentrate on Covid-19 cases only. And my poor close relative has today received a letter telling her that her cancer treatment has been indefinitely suspended. She is, of course, terrified.

Edit: On a brighter note, my other half's daughter seems to be recovered from her mild illness, and the rest of us are fine. I doubt that she did have CV, but we remain in self-isolation just in case.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Nigelb said:

I've been having a look at the full paper I posted the abstract from, around the start of this thread, about a rapid acceleration of vaccine clinical trials.

It is more radically unethical (in normal circumstances) than I originally understood, and is a true real world example of the trolley scenario - but with volunteers...

....Multiple measures would be put in place to ensure that prior to consenting, potential participants fully comprehend the unusual risks involved in the study.
    After the controlled human challenge model had been set up, vaccines could be evaluated. Volunteers who had not been previously infected would be randomized to receive either the candidate vaccine(s) under investigation, or placebo. After an interval to permit a full immune response to the vaccine, a controlled exposure to SARS-CoV-2 would be administered. Appropriate vaccine schedules (e.g. dose, number of doses) will have been determined, to the extent possible, in the conventional Phase 1/2 immunogenicity and safety studies that preceded the challenge study.
    Following the challenge, the participants would be carefully followed, to monitor whether those
    vaccinated had a different response to viral challenge. Because the challenge studies would be relatively small and some volunteers might show few clinical symptoms, there would need to be careful consideration of the choice of the primary endpoint, through discussions with regulatory authorities. Possibilities would include viral load, measured at least daily (e.g. in throat swabs), and then cumulated over the course of the infection (as has been done in influenza challenge studies)[8], and time to first clinical symptoms. For some vaccines, the endpoint might be the proportion infected. Throughout the study, intense immunological monitoring would seek any correlates of vaccine effect. The required size of such studies would depend upon the endpoints chosen, but they might require of the order of 100 volunteers.
    Any volunteers in whom infection was confirmed would receive excellent care for COVID-19, including priority for any scarce life-saving resources, in state-of-the-art facilities. Throughout the trial and until infectiousness were ruled out, all participants would remain isolated in a secure and comfortable setting, e.g. in converted from those used for influenza challenge studies....

Downside, 100 subjects unnecessarily and deliberately infected... upside, the saving of perhaps six months on trialling a vaccine.

I guess China will already be doing this, only with less voluntary volunteers.
  • Options

Things are obviously getting bad in here in Birmingham. Our local hospital is being cleared to concentrate on Covid-19 cases only. And my poor close relative has today received a letter telling her that her cancer treatment has been indefinitely suspended. She is, of course, terrified.

That strikes me as extremely poor decision making on the part of the trust.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Things are obviously getting bad in here in Birmingham. Our local hospital is being cleared to concentrate on Covid-19 cases only. And my poor close relative has today received a letter telling her that her cancer treatment has been indefinitely suspended. She is, of course, terrified.

Seriously? My dad is having a pacemaker fitted at the Royal Surrey in Guildford tomorrow; they seem to be carrying on as normal for now.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

You cant ignore the non patient facing staff, they are still more at risk than those who are self isolating, so should be showing up in the stats at least the same proportion as accountants, lorry drivers or teachers.
    Why would an NHS Accountant with no symptoms get a test while we have such limited capacity? And I was an NHS Accountant. Obviously its frontline staff first
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964

FF43 said:

It is not all certain that Peston is screwing up. We have to drill down to find out and u can't be bothered doing that. However Gove definitely is screwing up the government's communication on CV and should be taken off that role.

As an aside in my work from time to time we get into situations where things have gone wrong and we're on the hook. I am happy to go to customers and say, this is the situation, this is what we are doing about it and this what you can now expect and when, we will keep you updated on progress. They may not be happy about the situation but above all they are relieved their issue is being dealt with.
    Gove said there was a shortage of reagents and swabs, which was limiting testing
    Peston went and found there was no shortage of chemical ingredients for reagents.
    Guernsey Medical Director (who has set up testing on island in a couple of weeks) said there is a global shortage of reagents.
    Which is why the idiots saying Gove was being dishonest were showing their own ignorance borne out of wishful thinking.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,688
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

ZHC is widespead in many sectors, particularly the huge retail, entertainment and hospitality areas ; and the public health consequences of many of these workers in delivery continuing to need and have demand for work at the moment , may not be so preferable, ultimately.

Still plenty of ZHC jobs around, mainly in deliveries and most of that work can be done alone and thus keep social distancing while still earning income independent of government, so good all round
    How long have you been on a ZHC?
    I suspect dear old HY is on a ZHC now with the Conservative Party. This is why he has to post so much uncritical spin - to prove to them that he is indeed working.

It suddenly came to me! Until now I could not really understand it.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Why would an NHS Accountant with no symptoms get a test while we have such limited capacity? And I was an NHS Accountant. Obviously its frontline staff first
    Additionally a lot of the backroom staff are now WFH, they don't have contact with the front line staff as much.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,265

Things are obviously getting bad here in Birmingham. Our local hospital is being cleared to concentrate on Covid-19 cases only. And my poor close relative has today received a letter telling her that her cancer treatment has been indefinitely suspended. She is, of course, terrified.

Edit: On a brighter note, my other half's daughter seems to be recovered from her mild illness, and the rest of us are fine. I doubt that she did have CV, but we remain in self-isolation just in case.

Bad news about Brum.

We should be becoming increasingly concerned that in the rush to throw everything the NHS has at the plague, we end up causing a huge increase in avoidable deaths and morbidity from all the other illnesses.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Depends on what the treatment is, the stage and state of her cancer etc.

A clinical decision not to crash (or keep crashing) a persons immune system at the moment does not seem inconceivable to me, at the moment.
  • Options
    Anyone know how many tests there were yesterday?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,467
    TGOHF666 said:
    It doesn't particularly explain the lack of activity on testing from the Government sadly.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    The Wife's business backer died yesterday. He was 90, and suffered a rapid decline due to a pneumonia-like chest infection. They didn't test for Covid-19, as far as we know.

His A-list celebrity offspring is out the country. They couldn't attend the funeral today - just the two people present for the send off of a life very well lived.

When this is all over, the celebration of the man and his achievements will be huge.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

9793, if my calculation is correct.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    rcs1000 said:

The optimism is based upon the fact that Italy has got to the other side. Their total number of active cases is going to start dropping in the next 5-6 days. Spain, one would hope, will only be a couple of days behind.

Pretty much everywhere new cases peak 10-14 days after lockdown (with exact numbers also being a function of how many tests took place). You would expect us, therefore, to see new cases rising for a week or so. We might even get to a daily "new cases" number as high as 6-8,000.

Although that question probably won't be asked until the daily death total - which will be an even more lagging indicator - has first plateaued and then started to decline.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

FF43 said:

Which is why the idiots saying Gove was being dishonest were showing their own ignorance borne out of wishful thinking.
    The idea there is a supply of readily available ingredients everybody is seeking just going idle because we are just willfully neglecting them was so patently absurd only a complete moron could even think it.

So Peston said it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

Additionally a lot of the backroom staff are now WFH, they don't have contact with the front line staff as much.
    Correct 85% of Finance staff at my local Acute Trust WFH. My neighbour is responsible for ensuring all Critical Finance systems are accessed from home.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I guess China will already be doing this, only with less voluntary volunteers.
    You have been fined 50 Social Credits for violation of the Peoples! Internet! Morality! Act!

All subjects will be volunteered from the enthusiastic ranks of the re-educated at the state social re-education facilities.

All hail Winky The Poo!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

A clinical decision not to crash (or keep crashing) a persons immune system at the moment does not seem inconceivable to me, at the moment.
    An indefinite postponement is going to have a seriously detrimental effect on her mental health. It's literally taking the lifesaving medical intervention off the table for her. Even asking her to travel to a different less affected hospital seems like a better decision.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

TGOHF666 said:

I can't think of any context in which somebody who's not a racist would say this.
    Then your thinking power is a little inadequate.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250

I've found that using most of your previous commuting time for exercise helps a lot. I used to commute 75 minutes each way. Now I spend an extra half hour in bed and 45 minutes on exercise in the mornings, and then 45 minutes on exercise in the evenings after work and then I'm "home" half an hour early.

It helps keeps work detached from home life and not spilling over (which is very easy), and the amount of exercise really helps.

On the food front - keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat during the day. This provides a "nudge" to you (it won't work for some people), but you subconsciously want to keep it short.

And with the Olympics put back a year, can we dare to dream? ... :smile:
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Scott_xP said:
    It would be interesting to see what these graphs look like on a per capita basis
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

An indefinite postponement is going to have a seriously detrimental effect on her mental health. It's literally taking the lifesaving medical intervention off the table for her. Even asking her to travel to a different less affected hospital seems like a better decision.
    It is perfectly possible to shop around in the NHS - that fact startles people..

A second opinion sounds called for... Was the suspension done for load reasons or medical?
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

9793 people or 9793 tests?

The number of tests is more than the number of people isn't it?
  • Options
    edited April 2020

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Tests. The Guardian article suggested test to people ratio was around 70%. But I have no numbers on what that figure is today.
  • Options

Bad news about Brum.

We should be becoming increasingly concerned that in the rush to throw everything the NHS has at the plague, we end up causing a huge increase in avoidable deaths and morbidity from all the other illnesses.
    I had a Skype appointment with my GP this week she told me she would normally refer me for an urgent ECG as i have a missing beat but given my other risks she was minded not to.

Weird feeling my pulse for about 5 mins and trying to count how many beats missed. GP frustrated she couldnt grab my wrist via Skype
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

TGOHF666 said:
    It doesn't particularly explain the lack of activity on testing from the Government sadly.
    Also rank bad manners to put quotation marks around what is presumably your own spelling mistake, given that it was based on what Gove "said" - it makes it look like it was Gove's error.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,454
    rcs1000 said:

Agree

Also means that in a weeks or two the "in 15 days we're Italy" comments will be a positive rather than a negative :wink:
    (Hopefully with fewer deaths overall)
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    Too afraid to read it... is it good news or bad news?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Because in the 153k there will be accountants. The ones working for the NHS are at least as likely to be ill as they are less likely to be isolated.

I am not arguing whether they should be tested. I am saying that it seems highly unlikely that there have only been 2000 NHS staff tested as that suggests that they are less likely to be tested than average, whereas all logic would have them at least as likely as the population to catch it and need testing - and thats before any special priority testing.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

TGOHF666 said:
    Also rank bad manners to put quotation marks around what is presumably your own spelling mistake, given that it was based on what Gove "said" - it makes it look like it was Gove's error.
    I don't think it's a spelling mistake, but it does look odd.. as if Gove just made the word up on the spot.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,739
    rcs1000 said:

This. On topic, lockdown isn't the end goal. It's the means by which we get control over the epidemic and hopefully move onto less intrusive controls.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,430

Deleted. Need to fix something and I've mislaid my password file.

Password file recovered. :)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Luckily (or perhaps because) she has just finished her first round of chemo and is due a two-month break. Obviously she is fervently hoping that the Covid-19 peak with be well past by then and her treatment can be resumed again.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pick a sport no-one else does, start your own federation and take part well into your fifties!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Hubertus_of_Hohenlohe-Langenburg
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    ABZ said:

I think the optimism is more that new infections are slowing. They would have a prediction of what will happen under various scenarios in terms of new cases going into the hospitals. They have that data in real time - it's obviously something we don't see.

If I had to guess, I'd imagine that their predictions are telling them that new infections are consistent with a model where they are substantially slowing and can then use that to establish how well the NHS will cope.

Deaths, sadly, are a real lagging indicator. But looking at Italy or Spain, I'd expect that the total number of deaths we see per day between Thursday and Sunday will be, give or take, the number of daily deaths we should expect for a couple of weeks.

The number I'd be tracking above all others is NEW admissions to hospital with suspected Covid-19. Once that starts falling day on day we will be seeing light albeit still very much in the tunnel.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Look - the number of deaths are just awful - it's still very bad here in Spain with some tentative signs of a peak. However, I hate to say this but now the critical data relates to hospitalisation and ICU numbers. Every sad death in ICU releases the resource for a case which might make it. The next week will probably be pretty bad.
  • Options
    Boris ramped up Testing expectations 15 days ago and also said we would have exceeded 10,000 by last week

"We're massively increasing the testing to see whether you have it now and ramping up daily testing from 5,000 a day, to 10,000 to 25,000 and then up at 250,000,"
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Tests. The Guardian article suggested test to people ratio was around 70%. But I have no numbers on what that figure is today.
    "As of 9am on 1 April 2020, 152,979 people have been tested, of which 29,474 were confirmed positive."

The gov.uk announcements always count people, not individual tests.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,708
    I can't believe what I'm reading here:

"Extinction Rebellion accuse the government of a coronavirus cover up
    Extinction Rebellion have staged a protest at the site of HS2 and claim that the government has used coronavirus as a means to cover up HS2 tree felling.
    The group have been attempting to block construction vehicles in in woodlands in Kenilworth, Warwickshire. The campaigners are sitting in treehouses along the route and claim they have been refused food and water.
    A source close to extinction rebellion told the Telegraph that the government was trying to complete tree felling under the ‘cloak of coronavirus”."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-uk-news-latest-deaths-tests-flights-nhs-ventilators/
  • Options

TimeOut Australia reckons the Australian lock down (very similar to UK) could last for 6 months:

https://www.timeout.com/sydney/news/sydneys-covid-19-shutdown-your-questions-answered-033020

We will all have gone insane if this lasts for 6 months.
  • Options

We will all have gone insane if this lasts for 6 months.
    Or bust.
  • Options
    Guardian

The new NHS field hospital in Manchester is due to open at the end of next week - on 12 April - and will have capacity for 500 beds, the city’s council leader has said.

The facility at Manchester Central convention centre will be a “step-down” hospital, meaning it will not treat intensive care cases, and is expected to be called Nightingale North.

Sir Richard Leese told a press conference on Wednesday that the new hospital would serve the entire north-west and that the government was not believed to be looking for additional sites in the region.

About a third of all hospital beds in Greater Manchester are currently occupied by 475 coronavirus patients, Leese said. The number of cases in the region has tripled in the past seven days, to 901 cases and that the daily increase had been getting steeper.
  • Options

Boris ramped up Testing expectations 15 days ago and also said we would have exceeded 10,000 by last week

"We're massively increasing the testing to see whether you have it now and ramping up daily testing from 5,000 a day, to 10,000 to 25,000 and then up at 250,000,"

Number of tests vs number of people tested.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Pick a sport no-one else does, start your own federation and take part well into your fifties!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Hubertus_of_Hohenlohe-Langenburg
    "Hubi" is a most interesting personality, indeed.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,259

FF43 said:

Or from experience of Gove lying through his teeth on other occasions? Given the desirability of more trust in these situations, perhaps we'll start demanding standards in public life. This would rule Johnson out from public office which would be a healthy thing.

Anyway there is a limited supply of reagents here in Germany, which is one of the reasons it's not that easy to get tested, and frontline staff are not routinely tested (though will be tested with symptoms - hospitals haven't got enough staff to send people home for 2 weeks).

My wife's hospital has also almost stopped testing people for flu because of a shortage of swabs.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    kinabalu said:

ABZ said:

The number I'd be tracking above all others is NEW admissions to hospital with suspected Covid-19. Once that starts falling day on day we will be seeing light albeit still very much in the tunnel.
    Yes, that would be good to know. Also, I`d like to see a split between those that died with/ without other contributory medical conditions in order to get a better handle on those that died with the virus and those that died of it.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933
    kinabalu said:

ABZ said:

I’d like to see overall deaths compared to average number of deaths on that day
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. JS, I'm surprised at your surprise at the cretinous behaviour of the fundamentalists.

At least they aren't blocking ambulance routes any more.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Where are you getting number of tests figure from? I'm only seeing the number of people figure for today.
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

Nigelb said:
    Too afraid to read it... is it good news or bad news?
    Neither.
    It's very good news in terms of the number of approaches, and sheer number of programmes being pursued - but even the most advanced of them have only just started dosing test subjects.

The probable timetable for producing an effective vaccine in bulk has not, and will not change (unless someone adopts the radical and risky testing idea I posted details of below).

(As someone pointed out, the Chinese might.)

(edit)
    This was the paper:

A trolley problem - but with volunteers...

After the controlled human challenge model had been set up, vaccines could be evaluated. Volunteers who had not been previously infected would be randomized to receive either the candidate vaccine(s) under investigation, or placebo. After an interval to permit a full immune response to the vaccine, a controlled exposure to SARS-CoV-2 would be administered...
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,731
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

ABZ said:

I see where you are coming from Isam. Total deaths could (counter-intuitively) end up lower this year. I`m not sure that this will prove particularly relevant though, given the nature and scariness of Covid-19.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

ABZ said:

I believe there's normally a lag in recording the total number of deaths so a figure like that would give you a false sense of normality.
  • Options
    edited April 2020

RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

"As of 9am on 1 April 2020, 152,979 people have been tested, of which 29,474 were confirmed positive."

The gov.uk announcements always count people, not individual tests.
    Not what Gove quoted at the weekend though so throw in idle capability as well. Turned out only 9,114 tests had been been carried out on about 6,900 people on Friday – falling to 8,278 tests on 4,908 patients on Saturday Gove defends his over 10,000 comment by retrospectively claiming when he said tests he meant Testing Capability

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/30/uk-ministers-accused-of-overstating-scale-of-coronavirus-testing

You can only wriggle for so long
  • Options
    The Welsh first minister, Mark Drakeford, has invited the leaders of the two main opposition parties in Wales, the Tories and Plaid Cymru, to join its cabinet Covid group, which has been set up to tackle the crisis. Paul Davies and Adam Price have accepted the invitation.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,933

RobD said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Where are you getting number of tests figure from? I'm only seeing the number of people figure for today.
    Laura K says people tested

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1245340275276423169?s=21
  • Options

Number of tests vs number of people tested.
    Neither see my last post
  • Options
    kamski said:

FF43 said:

Or from experience of Gove lying through his teeth on other occasions? Given the desirability of more trust in these situations, perhaps we'll start demanding standards in public life. This would rule Johnson out from public office which would be a healthy thing.

Anyway there is a limited supply of reagents here in Germany, which is one of the reasons it's not that easy to get tested, and frontline staff are not routinely tested (though will be tested with symptoms - hospitals haven't got enough staff to send people home for 2 weeks)...
    And I believe Germany is by some way the largest manufacturer in Europe of such kit ?
  • Options
    isam said:
    Aside from the fact they are not engineers... and that was a prediction with an error bar range...
  • Options
    isam said:
    It would be interesting to know how many died due to COVID-19 versus how many died with COVID-19.
This discussion has been closed.