Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden trailing badly in terms of the enthusiasm of his backers

SystemSystem Posts: 11,006
edited March 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Biden trailing badly in terms of the enthusiasm of his backers

This is a good polling question and one that I attach importance to – just how enthusiastic are your backers. This, surely is something that will show when it comes to election day and how many of your backers will actually be bothered to turn out. The comparison with Trump supporters is striking.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ninth.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    edited March 2020
    First errr Second :smiley:
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    edited March 2020
    First for once!

Edit: Ah damn and blast! :lol:
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

First for once!

Floater and Lucy wave :wink:
  • Options
    Floater said:

First for once!

Floater and Lucy wave :wink:
    Lol!
  • Options
    Trump is sending people to restaurants?!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    The Herd Immunity row rumbles on...

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1244314312602202114

See the replies.
  • Options
    eadric said:
    La Peste.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,217

eadric said:
    La Peste.
    I remember the cockroaches - they would probably kidnap the rats.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

First line is weekly deaths in 2020, next line is average over the last 5 years for the corresponding week

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,445

See the replies.

Herd immunity remains the only way to stop the virus, either through a vaccine or through sufficient numbers of people being infected. It's just a question of how you manage it over time.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Capitalism faces pandemic test. Central banks must get cash to those in need.

Any data yet how the “whatever it takes money” flowing to where it’s needed?

A starting point would be those whose income is now zero, won’t get any virus support till June, to at least have the knowledge they are now signed on for state aid not 103,657th in a queue?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Trump extends guidelines to 30 April.

Says "good things" will be happening by 1 June.

Sounds like major backtracking.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,435
    Trump isn’t very... reassuring, is he?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

See the replies.

Herd immunity remains the only way to stop the virus, either through a vaccine or through sufficient numbers of people being infected. It's just a question of how you manage it over time.
    Or perhaps it mutates to harmless?
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/JenWilliamsMEN/status/1244382574866243588

Brave effort to set us all off again, but we've moved on.
  • Options
    eadric said:

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THERE IS NOTHING TO BE ALARMED ABOUT

https://twitter.com/coronavirususa0/status/1244272566417739786?s=21

Not exactly a surprise though is it?
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

Andy_JS said:

See the replies.

That doesn't help us much anymore, given how widespread the current incarnation is. One copy of the virus in one person might become harmless, but there's still all the other millions out there which can carry on infecting.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

See the replies.

Pretty unlikely for this, I understand
  • Options
    Blimey, has the penny dropped with Trump that lots of people will die.

He keeps saying 2.2m dead over and over again.
  • Options
    Easter was "aspirational"

Massive back track from Trump here I reckon.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/JenWilliamsMEN/status/1244382574866243588

Brave effort to set us all off again, but we've moved on.

Only to BINO , so far
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,344
    edited March 2020
    Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

See the replies.

That doesn't help us much anymore, given how widespread the current incarnation is. One copy of the virus in one person might become harmless, but there's still all the other millions out there which can carry on infecting.
    It does if the less deadly mutations are more efficient at infecting people, which tends to happen over time with most dangerous viruses.
    This one looks to be pretty efficient at getting into us already, though, so in this case you’re possibly right.
    It’s not mutating at a fast rate, either.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    eadric said:

Of course, if one of them has CV-19, then this might turn out to be one of the stupidest decisions in military history.
  • Options
    Trump has a weird way of saying the word 'death'
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    I can't work out if we're going to have rampant deflation or rampant inflation from this.
    I think house prices could take a hit mind.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Endillion said:

Andy_JS said:

See the replies.

It does if the less deadly mutations are more efficient at infecting people, which tends to happen over time with most dangerous viruses.
    This one looks to be pretty efficient at getting into us already, though, so in this case you’re possibly right.
    It’s not mutating at a fast rate, either.
    Well, precisely. Stability of the virus is good and bad: on the plus side, it makes finding a vaccine much easier.

Eventually we might be able to deliberately modify pandemic-causing viruses ourselves to a benign form and then get to herd immunity by exposing enough people to it before they can get infected by the real version. I think our understanding of RNA/DNA has a way to go before that leaves the realms of science fiction, though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I can't work out if we're going to have rampant deflation or rampant inflation from this.

Who knows. But I reckon it will be inflation.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

There's almost no velocity of money now though. Unless you're trying to buy PPE, inflation needs to have a large velocity of money and that has almost stopped.
  • Options
    Trump now arguing with a journalist about their questions. What surprise.

"That's enough."
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Of course, if one of them has CV-19, then this might turn out to be one of the stupidest decisions in military history.
    I’m trying to work out the cabinet. It appears to have a mop in there. A camping light turned on. And at least 8 or 9 french horns
  • Options

Trump isn’t very... reassuring, is he?

Why is the orange snowflake so defensive, I thought he was winning all of the polls?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Trump extends guidelines to 30 April.

Says "good things" will be happening by 1 June.

Sounds like major backtracking.

He’d be more sensible (yes, I know...) adopting hurdles or milestones, rather than dates, for a loosening of restrictions.

Something along these lines:
    https://www.aei.org/research-products/report/national-coronavirus-response-a-road-map-to-reopening/
    Trigger to Move to Phase II. To guard against the risk that large outbreaks or epidemic spread could reignite once we lift our initial efforts to “slow the spread,” the trigger for a move to Phase II should be when a state reports a sustained reduction in cases for at least 14 days (i.e., one incubation period); and local hospitals are safely able to treat all patients requiring hospitalization without resorting to crisis standards of care4; and the capacity exists in the state to test all people with COVID-19 symptoms, along with state capacity to conduct active monitoring of all confirmed cases and their contacts....
  • Options

Trump has a weird way of saying the word 'death'

Trump has a weird way.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,216
    edited March 2020
    Pulpstar said:

Quite possibly both. An inflationary spike due to the double money effect of the rescue packages, compounded by supply shortages and trade disruption. Then a deflationary slump as everyone from the government through individuals attempt to repair their finances.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

There's almost no velocity of money now though. Unless you're trying to buy PPE, inflation needs to have a large velocity of money and that has almost stopped.
    I am thinking further ahead when the BoE has printed a shed load of money for the self employed and the furloughed.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

High unemployment + negative economic growth = downwards pressure on inflation, usually. Oil prices are also at recent lows, and as you say spending is grinding to a halt. The main upwards indicator right now is low interest rates, bu they were already pretty low to start with, so the minor cut shouldn't change much. The massive increase in government spending is mostly just replacing what would've been regular income. My vote is for deflation.
  • Options

Easter was "aspirational"

Massive back track from Trump here I reckon.

There will certainly be a backlash now. A lot of people were on board when he talked up short shutdown. I think the Daily Telegraph will be first to break ranks and scream, enough of this trashing of the economy. They seem to be wavering and not behind the government on this.
  • Options
    Large asset deflation and consumer goods inflation.

Fuck knows, everyone is guessing right now tbh. It IS the biggest event since WWII I think though.
    9-11; the GFC, Chernobyl, fall of the Berlin wall, end of the cold war are all smaller than this methinks.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

See the replies.

Christ. Being forced to pick a side between Hodges and McTernan.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eadric said:

Multiple command centres... back to the days of Looking Glass and call sign Alice....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=punqdlHMDjo
  • Options
    Alistair said:
    What would they like to read? "Alba", "Northern England", "Beyond the Wall"?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

‘ inflation needs to have a large velocity of money’

Does it? 🤔
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Negative interest rates, Modern Monetary Theory,

Oil has been trading at negative 19 cents a barrel.

https://twitter.com/DTAPCAP/status/1243955823585492993

I guess systems break. Deflation?
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

High unemployment + negative economic growth = downwards pressure on inflation, usually. Oil prices are also at recent lows, and as you say spending is grinding to a halt. The main upwards indicator right now is low interest rates, bu they were already pretty low to start with, so the minor cut shouldn't change much. The massive increase in government spending is mostly just replacing what would've been regular income. My vote is for deflation.
    So those people who spent all weekend moving money out of their bank accounts are ahead of the game and writing mug on our foreheads for being slow to act on this? Moving it it to what though? What assets won’t depreciate? jewellery? Water?
  • Options

Alistair said:
    Occupied Northern Cumbria.
  • Options
    egg said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

So those people who spent all weekend moving money out of their bank accounts are ahead of the game and writing mug on our foreheads for being slow to act on this? Moving it it to what though? What assets won’t depreciate? jewellery? Water?
    Rice. Wheat.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Negative interest rates, Modern Monetary Theory,

Oil has been trading at negative 19 cents a barrel.

https://twitter.com/DTAPCAP/status/1243955823585492993

I guess systems break. Deflation?

I was thinking in terms of those times, boom and bust seventies, unemployment went up but inflation too. RCS said earlier economists very good at predicting the last recession, back in the seventies they said, wait a minute that’s not in the manual, that’s impossible.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

egg said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Rice. Wheat.
    Yes, people need to eat.
  • Options
    egg said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Well, gold is traditional.

But usually you seek safe havens (ie: things that preserve their value in real terms) when prices are going up, not down. Cash in bank accounts becomes better value during deflationary periods, not worse.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933
    Monkeys said:

egg said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Rice. Wheat.
    If you can still get it.

https://twitter.com/maxlambertson/status/1243525558157352970
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Monkeys said:

egg said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Rice. Wheat.
    Yes, people need to eat.
    Toilet roll is the new gold.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

egg said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

But usually you seek safe havens (ie: things that preserve their value in real terms) when prices are going up, not down. Cash in bank accounts becomes better value during deflationary periods, not worse.
    So there are these stories of bank withdrawals, the people taking it out are the mugs the?, presuming it is deflationary not inflationary, and governments can step in and help banks if they run into trouble?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Monkeys said:

egg said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Rice. Wheat.
    Yes, people need to eat.
    Toilet roll is the new gold.
    So We are all bog roll bandits now. And that proves there is no such thing as society.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    edited March 2020

Alistair said:
    The latest map I have at my disposal is quite clear that the barbarians of Caledonia have yet to be brought to heel, so beyond the wall would be appropriate. But once we have Calgacus in our hands all will be well.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Personally, this is my plan now - find someone smarter and get them to make a plan for me.

http://www.basicinstructions.net/basic-instructions/2017/8/1/how-to-prepare-for-the-apocalypse

• Options
  • Options
    How can renewable energy stay profitable if oil keeps dumping?
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Not profitable, competitive, sorry I'm drinking
  • Options
    isam said:
    Someone will immediately say this is terrible and how dare they even be thinking about it, but condensing a bunch of games into a 6-8 week period, if overall restrictions have been lifted a little at that point (which we've been told is possible even though things will not be back to normal), and with appropriate measures, does not seem inherently unreasonable.

People in every industry including entertainment will be considering contingency plans to get their regular stuff done if at all possible. I'm not confident, but we'll see.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:
    Someone will immediately say this is terrible and how dare they even be thinking about it, but condensing a bunch of games into a 6-8 week period, if overall restrictions have been lifted a little at that point (which we've been told is possible even though things will not be back to normal), and with appropriate measures, does not seem inherently unreasonable.

People in every industry including entertainment will be considering contingency plans to get their regular stuff done if at all possible. I'm not confident, but we'll see.
    All 92 games on tv while we are in lockdown...
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Sure am glad we picked Biden as the "electable" option
  • Options
    egg said:

Endillion said:

egg said:

Endillion said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

So there are these stories of bank withdrawals, the people taking it out are the mugs the?, presuming it is deflationary not inflationary, and governments can step in and help banks if they run into trouble?
    No idea what stories you're referring to, but bank withdrawals (in terms of economic theory) means one or more of inflation, issues with the bank's solvency, or or interest rate cuts (more generally, bank interest rate returns becoming uncompetitive versus returns on other investments). The last one is definitely a factor right now.
  • Options

Everything is relative. To Sanders, in this case.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:
    The latest map I have at my disposal is quite clear that the barbarians of Caledonia have yet to be brought to heel, so beyond the wall would be appropriate. But once we have Calgacus in our hands all will be well.
    "Aufferre trucidare rapere falsis nominibus imperium, atque ubi solitudinem faciunt, pacem appellant."

Maybe you could do what your ancestors did back in ye goode olde dayes, invite some Anglish migrants to take care of the troublemakers.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    Andy_JS said:

See the replies.

I don't think that's true, plausibly you could have good, cheap testing and some enduring changes to reduce its spread (practiced normally, like we do for food hygiene) and effectively eliminate it, except for occasional clusters that would burn themselves out.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,767

Alistair said:
    Remember, even when you’re cooped up, drink responsibly.
  • Options
    I got hold of Felix Double delicious today. Worth its weight in bogroll that
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

It is the capital cost that is the issue with alternative energy, so no new windmills will be built. But those that already exist will continue to turn because there is close to zero marginal cost of production.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Petrol prices are down a lot - unleaded £1.069 at Tesco today.

That's down 10p in approx the last week.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited March 2020

He is the 'electable' option as opposed to Sanders, as Romney was the 'electable' option as opposed to Santorum and Gingrich in 2012 and Kerry was the 'electable' option as opposed to Dean in 2004.

However neither Romney nor Kerry could match the enthusiasm with their voters Presidents Obama and Bush had with their voters and it seems Biden is facing the same enthusiasm gap with his voters relative to the supporters of President Trump.

The last candidate nominated to take on an incumbent President who had more of a vote for them than against the incumbent was Bill Clinton in 1992 and before him Reagan in 1980, it is notable they both beat the incumbents
  • Options
    Has anyone got any good news regarding Covid-19? I could really do with some at the moment.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Has anyone got any good news regarding Covid-19? I could really do with some at the moment.

This do?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52087002
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Andy_JS said:

The number of people with immunity is at an all time high.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    People ought to be able to "clear themselves" so-to-speak by showing they're immune following a negative test, but of course the problem arises of people pretending they're immune when they aren't really. Not sure how we deal with that problem. The government could issue certificates, which would lead to attempts to forge them.
  • Options
    At least there will be no rallies where Biden has to speak at length any time soon. Just ads and news clips. He performs best in small doses or removed from the picture entirely.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

If you like you can play "spot the day the IOC told Tokyo it was postponing the Olympics":
    https://covid19japan.com/#prefecture-trajectory-container
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Andy_JS said:

See the replies.

I don't think that's true, plausibly you could have good, cheap testing and some enduring changes to reduce its spread (practiced normally, like we do for food hygiene) and effectively eliminate it, except for occasional clusters that would burn themselves out.
    For an airborne disease, this is frankly bollocks.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

See the replies.

Expand???
  • Options
    TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

See the replies.

EiT may exaggerate, but the reality is that we can ameliorate the effect of CV-19, so long as we can do three things:

1. Lower the current number infected
    2. Slow future outbreaks
    3. Prevent it from being too fatal to those who catch it

The key to 1 is to ensure that the number of people "doing the infecting" is a small one. This means we lockdown for 4-6 weeks to result in few new infections, and lots of death or cure.

For 2, we use a combination of track and trace, enforced masks, regular testing for people who come into contact with lots of people, prohibition on certain activities etc. The goal is here is to lower R0 below 1, so that while CV-19 is not be eliminated, it cannot infect in an out of control manner.

And 3 is a matter of having enough ventilators, and improving our treatment regimes.

None of these are easy. 1 and 2, in particular, are extremely expensive.

But together they allow us to turn CV-19 from an @eadric-level crisis into a painful, but not existential. shock.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,235
    Endillion said:

Everything is relative. To Sanders, in this case.
    Sanders' supporters would likely be more enthusiastic, even if less numerous.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,235

See the replies.

Does any of this really matter? Even if Hodges is right, does it amount to anything more than the Number 10 spin team had not fully caught up with the boffins for a day or two?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited March 2020

See the replies.

Does any of this really matter? Even if Hodges is right, does it amount to anything more than the Number 10 spin team had not fully caught up with the boffins for a day or two?
    No it doesn't. I'm afraid some journalists are not covering themselves in glory: Andrew Neil being another.

They're basically scratching around for work, politics being essentially suspended.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

See the replies.

But together they allow us to turn CV-19 from an @eadric-level crisis into a painful, but not existential. shock.
    Sorry, Robert, but this sounds like denial to me. None of your 3 really come close to the magnitude of this pandemic crisis.

There's only one way to halt this virus. A vaccine. Until we get one it will kill millions.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,841
    Alistair said:

See the replies.

Christ. Being forced to pick a side between Hodges and McTernan.
    Best reply:
    https://twitter.com/rickeyst/status/1244321509402988544
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

People ought to be able to "clear themselves" so-to-speak by showing they're immune following a negative test, but of course the problem arises of people pretending they're immune when they aren't really. Not sure how we deal with that problem. The government could issue certificates, which would lead to attempts to forge them.

Indeed. And still no certainty that you can't be re-infected.

We may have a long wait for a vaccine. If that goes on for more than a year, as seems plausible, millions will die.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    @Malmesbury FPT

I’m staggered. I never thought anyone living other than me had read A Prince of the Captivity.

One of the few Buchan books to have gone out of print - and it’s very easy to see why.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,229
    rcs1000 said:

Monkeys said:

It is the capital cost that is the issue with alternative energy, so no new windmills will be built. But those that already exist will continue to turn because there is close to zero marginal cost of production.
    More optimistically, an example of catastrophic market failure will finally get the world to introduce a carbon tax, which should be a no-brainer anyway.

Unfortunately, with the most dangerous criminal organisation in history running the most powerful country in the world, it's hard to be optimistic.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I, too, see positives emerging from this. I'm hoping it's an opportunity for re-configuration. The capitalist greed of the world economy which has sought to suck the life out of Mother Nature is being taught a long and very painful karmic lesson.

I also see re-configuration in our personal lives. People are networking in new ways and finding different opportunities to be resourceful. They are also facing up to death: the possibility that it might strike is not something most people consider. Learning a little humility in the face of our mortality is not always a bad thing.

The mighty are being laid low.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

See the replies.

Sorry, Robert, but this sounds like denial to me. None of your 3 really come close to the magnitude of this pandemic crisis.

There's only one way to halt this virus. A vaccine. Until we get one it will kill millions.
    It seems to be possible for South Korea to contain the growth of the thing in the way @rcs1000 proposes, even now, with hardly any time to respond and while we know very little about it. Why do you assume it's impossible for other developed countries to do it with more time and more information?
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

See the replies.

It seems to be possible for South Korea to contain the growth of the thing even now, with hardly any time to respond and while we know very little about it. Why do you assume it's impossible for other developed countries to do it with more time and more information?
    As I understand it, all they are doing is flattening the peaks which will continue to come in waves until we get a vaccine. The virus will move through 80% of the world's population.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918

I, too, see positives emerging from this. I'm hoping it's an opportunity for re-configuration. The capitalist greed of the world economy which has sought to suck the life out of Mother Nature is being taught a long and very painful karmic lesson.

I also see re-configuration in our personal lives. People are networking in new ways and finding different opportunities to be resourceful. They are also facing up to death: the possibility that it might strike is not something most people consider. Learning a little humility in the face of our mortality is not always a bad thing.

I agree; somewhat anyway. I've 'met' electronically, many in my age-group because they're picking up on new technology.
    And, on the 'learning something new' tack, I'm surprised to learn that 'karmic' is a word. 'Karma', of course is fine. As a word, anyway!
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981

I would not be bothered if Covid-19 carried me off. I feel like I have had more than enough of the world already.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,006

Many people are now also going out for exercise every day, because it is one of the few times they are allowed out. Although this will probably be offset by those spending lockdown on the couch, eating stockpiled junk food.
This discussion has been closed.